Apocalypse Dawn: First Light - Part 7

Printer-friendly version
AD first.jpg

 

Part 7: Oh Hell

When Caleb's sister offers to get him and Jess and opportunity to play-test a new Virtual Reality MMORPG, Caleb's vacation just may change his life and the lives of those close to him forever.

 

“Tha… that’s diabolically evil,” Nishalle said, looking completely aghast as Laesa finished telling us of her far too long sojourn in the waiting room.

 


 
Author's Note: Here's part 7 of my reluctant princess story. Sorry it's a few minutes late, but I had an unexpectedly busy weekend. I hope you all enjoy, and thank you for supporting my stories. ~Amethyst.
 


 
Part 7: Oh Hell

I was trapped in nothingness, floating in an expanse devoid of all sensations. It was strange, and a bit of a relief, to be free of the body dysphoria that had been my constant companion since character creation, but at the same time the lack of any of my senses was maddening. There was nothing but empty blackness; no sights, sounds, scents, or even touch to tell me what was going on and, after getting used to a Fae’s enhanced senses, that absence caused a panic in me. If I had had a sense of my own pulse I’m sure that it would have been racing.

With no way to tell the passage of time, and only my own anxiety-induced thoughts to keep me company, I couldn’t be sure whether that non-existence had been mine for mere seconds, hours, or days. Then all perception returned in an instant, battering me with the sights, sounds, and scents of Haven, the feel of the breeze on my skin, the taste of the sea air, and of course the feeling that my body felt horribly wrong. The sudden shift was both gut wrenching and orgasmic as I tried to figure out what happened and adjust to that sudden wondrous influx of data from the world around me.

It was Pete who first recovered enough to ask, “What the hell just happened?”

“I… I don’t know,” Denise the deer Beastkin replied uncertainly. “I would have thought we had died if I hadn’t already gone through the horrors of death and resurrection in this game.” She shuddered visibly at whatever memories that brought up. The others who had died gave a similar shudder, a haunted look in their eyes.

It was then that we all had a message scrolling across our line of sight. “We apologize for the brief interruption in gameplay. This was due to a power outage and it took a moment for the backup generators to kick in.”

“Well, I guess that explains it,” Venika said with a shrug from where she sat on Lissany’s shoulder. Then she looked at our new crafter friends and asked, “So… ummm… what was death like? From what one of the developers told me they’re going to change it a bit in open beta, but for the closed beta they wanted to give us an incentive to not die often. Then he gave a maniacal laugh, so I’m a bit… concerned.”

“You do NOT want to die,” Hadrick the Dwarf said simply. “It was unspeakably horrible.”

Laesa apparently decided that her fellow Sprite, and the rest of us, needed to know more details though. “I guess that, in time, players like Priests and Medics will be able to learn skills to bring people back to life, because you have the option of waiting for up to six hours for someone to resurrect you. I tried that for like ten minutes before I got bored and decided to just wait out the game’s one day automatic resurrection at the nearest safe zone. I should have waited around longer, at least then I could have been entertained by watching the action for a while.”

It seemed that when you died in game you could wait around for a fellow player to revive you, or go straight to the waiting room, or Hell as our new friends had referred to it. If you decided to wait for another player to revive you then you could move around and explore in a spirit form until revived, but you were basically a ghost, nobody could hear or see you, and you couldn’t physically interact with anything. I guessed that if someone revived you then you would be returned to your body. If you weren’t revived within six hours though, then you would be automatically moved to the waiting room to wait out the remainder of your time until the automatic resurrection kicked in, and that was where the true horror was.

The waiting room was just that, a waiting room. First Laesa had had to get in line behind all the other people who had showed up before her, as each filled out a stack of forms for automatic resurrection that was nearly as thick as the Sprite was tall, in triplicate. Then, once she had finally filled out those forms herself and gotten her number, came the waiting. Waiting for a whole day for your number to be called so you could return to playing, while the worst elevator music imaginable played in the background.

Comfort wasn’t really high on the priority list for dead people either apparently, since all the chairs were uncomfortable wooden ones, some with splinters no less. There was a vending machine and a soda machine, but even if you did happen to have money when you had died, the selection was limited. The soda machine, which proudly proclaimed ‘Mountain Dew!’ on the front was all out of the popular flavors and only had raspberry cream soda. The vending machine was equally bad, with all the chips, gum, and sweet snacks gone, leaving only a single row of cranberry and pistachio yoghurt covered granola bars.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if there had been something to do, but there was one Sudoku book and all the puzzles had been solved. There were a total of three magazines available to read, but all of them were from the eighties, and the snarky lady at the counter would shush anyone who tried to make conversation. If you actually made a complaint, or even looked like you might, she would kindly suggest that you don’t die in the future if you don’t like the way she runs things.

“Tha… that’s diabolically evil,” Nishalle said, looking completely aghast as Laesa finished telling us of her far too long sojourn in the waiting room.

“Remind me not to die if I can avoid it,” Reiko added with a groan.

“I would think that would fall under common sense sweetie,” I teased, “especially since you’re our healer.”

“Yeah, trying not to die seems pretty obvious to me Reik…” Lissany started to say before she paused with a frown on her face. “Oh… kay, you know what, it feels really weird calling you that while you’re a guy. It’s kind of a girl’s name.”

My fiancé nodded, a faint flush painting his cheeks. “I was in a girly mood when we were deciding on our characters, and again when we did the character creation. I really should have thought ahead and picked something more gender-neutral. I guess that, despite what I was told, I never expected to be able to just switch gender at will. I’m so used to having to change characters in games based on what gender I feel like at the time. You can all just call me Rei for short, I’m pretty sure that can be a guy’s or a girl’s name.”

“There’s a name change option, under the character settings menu, I discovered it while in Hell. I was exploring the menus and stuff, since I was bored to tears and there was nothing much else to do,” Ashura pointed out from where she was sitting across from us beside her fellow Atlantean. “I think it can only be used once per character though, maybe they were expecting this problem with Kitsune players, or just the regular second guessing that some people have after making a character.”

It took him a few minutes to find it and make the change, but once I brought up the ‘show usernames’ option it showed his name now being Rei, which seemed a lot less awkward for everyone involved. With that matter out of the way, we finished our stew and the conversation returned briefly to possible shops and scavenging for materials. We had come up with wish lists for each of the crafters and prospective merchants by the time we set about our afternoon tasks.

~o~O~o~

We spent much of the afternoon doing quests. There seemed to be even more repeatable quests available now that I had managed to work out an agreement between the Fae and the village. We started out by scavenging materials and helping to begin construction of a defensive wall around the village. It was a quest that our whole party could do easily enough, even Venika with her small size. The village and the Fae Glade may have been a safe zone, but they could still be attacked during events and it made sense to secure them as much as possible against monsters, the undead, and whatever other dangers might be waiting out there.

There were also the ‘help out the villagers’ quests all over the village. Finding lost items, helping to repair homes and fishing boats, and even playing games with the local children took up much of the afternoon. It involved a lot more socializing than I was really comfortable with, but my dysphoria had died down significantly since I had changed out of my Autumn Court finery and into some regular clothes and my combat gear. It was still there of course, always gnawing at the edges of my mind, but it was at least at a level that I could manage without breaking down again anytime soon.

Not many of us had the skills needed to work on the hunting and gathering quest, but Venika was able to take charge there, tracking some wild game birds and a pair of deer and helping us to find some ripe berries and nuts with her ranger abilities. She and I took down the game birds with our flash freeze spells, while Nishalle used her sniper skills to take the deer (both bucks, much to my relief) down from a distance. I felt an unexpected pang of guilt and loss at the taking of those lives and made sure to say a prayer to Danu over the corpses. It was just a game right? And hunting quests were pretty standard fare, so why did I feel so guilty?

The answer was of course my knowledge of Fae culture and the ‘memories’ that had come along with it. Monsters were one thing, it was the Fae’s duty to maintain the balance of nature and magic, ingrained in them since their creation, and out of control monsters and the undead were a threat to that balance. Other living creatures, on the other hand, were to be nurtured and respected and the loss of any such life was felt keenly by the Fae.

I was sure that if Venika or Nishalle had taken Fae culture, they would have felt much as I had. It was a skill they both planned on taking with their next skill point since they could already speak Elvish, but found the Fae NPCs, particularly the Nymphs, a little unsettling. This was making it hard for them to relate to other Fae or really immerse themselves in their characters. I on the other hand had that knowledge and ‘experience’ that they didn’t and, as uncomfortable as I was with my own body, I found myself not even batting an eye at the thought of casual public nudity or sex. In fact, I had defended it the night before when Rei had freaked out about my Nymph attendant, Naerysse.

Once we had bagged the second deer, and fulfilled our quest quota, Lissany hefted the carcass over her shoulder and we followed the game trail back toward the road where we had parked the truck. Since the northern forest surrounding the estate was now the domain of the Fae, doing village gathering quests there was now an issue, so we had been sent to the southern woods for the quest. Unfortunately this meant that we were outside of the safe zone, so we needed to be on our guard.

I sent Venika ahead to scout the path back to the truck from the treetops and we all kept our senses peeled and stayed alert. Thankfully my Fae senses were very acute, as were Lissany’s, and even though Nishalle may not have been able to see well in the bright afternoon light, her nose and ears were just as sensitive as my own. I think we all heard it around the same time. There was something moving through the trees, making its way toward us, and whatever it was, it was really big.

“We need to get moving,” I said, an idea that was quickly met with the agreement of my pair of protectors. We began to quicken our pace, but it was then that Venika rejoined us, much sooner than we were expecting her.

“We’ve got trouble,” she muttered with a grim expression on her tiny face. “H3lls-Pwn is waiting to ambush us. I saw them planning it behind an outcropping of rocks less than fifty meters ahead, Razor reaaallly doesn’t like you Taelya.”

“The feeling is mutual,” I replied with a very un-princess-like snort. “Much as I hate to admit it though, at the moment we may have bigger…” That was when I saw it approaching through the trees, a massive monstrosity over thirty feet tall. It looked like a large human, or rather a parody of a human, with grey skin, patches of matted black hair all over its body, a head like a Neanderthal, and a large flabby stomach hanging over a loincloth which covered its groin. That wasn’t even the worst of it. The smell was absolutely foul, almost worse than the zombies had been up close and a whole lot more potent, making my eyes water in protest.

“Ogre! Everyone find cover!” I called out, before making for the cover of a large tree. Even as I moved I was gathering mana and trying to figure out my first spell. I needed to try and use my AOE spell, before it could get too close and I wouldn’t have the chance. Once I had made it behind the tree I began tracing the sigils in the air and calling them out, directing the mana and my will and then throwing the spell at the charging behemoth. “Tierre liantuir hannira!”

A blazing storm of fire engulfed the ogre and it screamed in pain, but when the smoke cleared it was still standing. Sure it was a bit blackened and burned, but now it was also really pissed off. Everyone who could started hitting it at once; Rei and Lissany opened fire with their shotguns, Pete was peppering it with his AK-47, Grell had his Glock out, and I was about to draw my own guns as well, until I saw how little effect they were having against it.

It was going to take too long for Nishalle to set up a decent sniper shot, and at that point I wasn’t really sure that it would do much good anyway. We needed a plan, but not many of us could dare get too close to it, especially when it uprooted a small tree to use as a club. One good swing and it could likely crush every bone in our bodies. “Umm… Taelya, maybe we should have tried to reason with it, I mean it is human…ish,” Pete’s voice called out from some nearby bushes.

“Yeah Pete, I’m sure that would have worked out real well, except for one problem, ogres eat people of our size for breakfast, literally. They especially love the taste of Humans, if the lore is correct,” I pointed out as casually as I could with my heart feeling like it was going to jump out of my chest and run away. “Would you care to remind me who among us chose that species for our characters? Feel free to go have a chat with him if you like though.”

“Your sarcasm is duly noted Your Highness,” his voice called back with a grim sounding laugh.

The ogre was seriously pissed off and heading straight for me, swinging its tree club in a violent arc and generally ignoring the gunfire. The smaller tree in its hands hit the one that I was hiding behind with enough force that it exploded into splinters. My cover remained rooted and standing, but the furious giant was far too close for comfort now, reaching around the tree to make a grab at me. I quickly rolled aside, trying to keep out of its reach, but it angrily snapped the top off the tree and brought it down toward me in a violent arc.

I silently thanked whatever Gods that might have been listening that I had decided to take gymnastics in addition to Kurinshal, as it was a combination of that skill, the elvish marital arts training, and my inherent Fae agility that prevented me from becoming a very dead Fae princess at that moment. My instincts, skills, and body took over at that point as I performed a double back flip and kicked myself off the side of another tree as the ogre’s new weapon hit the ground like a massive whip and snapped in half. By that point I was in the air, and safely out of the way, as I grabbed hold of a low branch and used the momentum to flip myself upward to land on it in a crouch.

Slightly astounded at what I had just done, that I was indeed still alive, and the fact that I didn’t even seem to be short of breath, I quickly drew in mana and cast my beginner fire spell. “Tierre liantuir!” I didn’t think it was going to hurt it since my much more powerful one had only pissed it off, but I was really hoping to distract it for a minute so I could get some space between us. I needed time to think of a proper plan and didn’t want my party-mates to worry about hitting me with friendly fire.

While my opponent was more concerned with putting out its flaming eyebrows than looking for me I made a quick dash for cover, behind another tree with Lissany and Venika for company. I had a plan of sorts, but if I was going to give the others a chance to complete it I needed to do more than set the ogre’s eyebrows ablaze. I would need to cast something that was actually going to hurt it, and keep its attention off us for long enough for it to work.

I needed to try one of the newer spell ideas that I had come up with, but I was going to need a few minutes since it required four sigils and I had never tried it, or any spell that powerful before. “Venika, try flash-freezing it,” I told the Sprite. It was another one of our beginner spells, so not very powerful and I didn’t think that it would last long, but it might buy us a minute or two. “Everyone get ready for close combat as soon as it breaks free! Pete and Liss, go for its legs! Nishalle, as soon as you can, go for the throat! Everyone else, cover them!”

Venika’s hands were in motion and she was chanting the sigils aloud as soon as I’d finished issuing the orders. “Aes’Suvas liantuir!”

The ogre had turned around as I called out orders and stomped its way furiously toward the sound of my voice, but the Sprite’s spell was quick and effective. She had managed to encase our opponent in ice, but that ice was cracking quickly, so I knew that I wouldn’t have much time. I drew as much mana as I could hold from the forest around us, wanting plenty on hand in case I needed to cast multiple spells. Then, as quick as my hand and lips could manage, I started drawing the sigils in the air and calling out their names, focusing very clearly on my intent. “Tierre kiara tala-aeluine utaera!”

Seven balls of screaming blue flames shot from my outstretched hand, peppering the behemoth’s face one after another, causing it to shriek in pain. The sound seemed to shake the woods, probably scaring off anything else alive nearby, but to us it was a call to arms. Rei started throwing balls of foxfire at it as Grell opened fire and Venika followed up with another simple fire spell, all of them aiming for its face as my scattershot spell finished its work. By that time the others were in place and Lissany brought her war hammer down on its gargantuan foot with a sickening crunch, even as Pete got in behind it with his colossal claymore and slashed at its Achilles tendon.

The moment it had fallen to one knee, howling in pain and clutching at its foot, Nishalle was in motion. Her katana slid free of its saya without a sound as she ran up the creature’s arm, going straight for its throat, the steel cutting deep and ending the massive creature’s life in a spray of crimson. Before the creature could fall to the ground and give its last twitching breaths she was at my side, half covered in red ichor.

We didn’t even have a chance to catch our breath before the first shots were fired from some brush to either side of the game trail about twenty meters away. Lissany, once again, managed to place herself and her shield between me and the hail of bullets from Ak-47s before I realized what was happening. There were too many bullets flying though, and Lissany couldn’t cover me from all of them as we were getting peppered from two angles. I had already felt like I’d been kicked in the chest twice, as bullets hit the Kevlar vest I was wearing over my leather armor, and a there was a searing white pain in my left shoulder.

Nishalle screamed in pain beside me and I could hear Razor telling his men from the left side of the trail, “C’mon guys, pour it on and kill the redheaded whore and the girl in the armor! The others will be easy once we take them down!”

I gritted my teeth against the agony in my shoulder and raised my right hand to cover the wound. I thought that I was bleeding badly, but it was getting hard to tell. I was suddenly having trouble breathing, I was shaking, my vision was getting blurry, and the pain in my shoulder was starting to fade to numbness as I tried to figure out some sort of counter-attack. I wasn’t the only one hurt either from what my blurred vision could see as I fell to the ground, as Nishalle was on the ground beside me clutching her leg. I thought that the others had gotten to cover, but I couldn’t see them to be sure.

When I hit the forest floor I felt the strangest sensation wash over me. My hand felt so warm and beneath it I could feel… life. It was really hard to place, but it was like I was connected to the mana in the earth beneath me. Not just in the earth either, but all the living things in it as well. My awareness of this mana expanded outward slowly, reaching out to encompass the trees, leaves, birds, forest animals, and the entire life of the forest, there within my grasp, I merely needed to reach out. All of it was bright, alive, and part of me, all but the intruders.

Had I wanted, I think I could have expanded that sense even further, but this was not the time to do so. The life l was feeling was answering my call, filling me up with an energy that no caffeinated beverage could ever compare to. I got to my knees, and my instincts told me that this was life of nature, mine to draw on if I needed, mine to command. Yes the forest was my home, an extension of myself and Razor and his cronies had intruded uninvited, defiled it with their presence, and attacked its very heart.

They needed to be taught a lesson. I reached out with that new sense of mine, telling the forest of my need, my desires. And the forest responded in kind, unleashing the vengeance of nature upon the intruders. The very brush that H3lls-Pwn were hiding in came alive, entangling them, growing thicker and sprouting needle-sharp thorns. I walked toward them in a daze, their screams becoming louder and louder in my ears as, one by one, they were torn to pieces.

As I approached, I was dimly aware of my party-mates joining me, Nishalle holding on to Lissany for support as she walked. By the time we got there the only one who hadn’t been torn to shreds was Razor himself. He wouldn’t be alive for long though, as he had already started bleeding profusely from a number of deep wounds. “Razor, you have intentionally attempted to kill a princess of the Autumn Court. Are you really so stupid that you would court the ire of my entire people? You’ll be dead very soon, but while you’re in Hell I would like you to think about one thing. I have merely killed you, your suffering has been short... this time. When you return, you will likely face whatever justice that my mother and my people feel is appropriate. I guarantee you they will not be so generous, the Fae have a history for making punishments both long and painful. We live such a long time and we like to enjoy it, you I’m afraid will not.”

“Wait… I…” he pleaded piteously.

“You will do nothing but die. I’ve gotten some satisfaction, but you hurt my sister as well, I’ll leave it up to her whether she wishes to kill you quickly or let you suffer a while longer.” I turned to Nishalle in concern. “Are you okay sis, he’s all yours if you want him?”

“I’m okay Taelya,” she quickly assured me. “They grazed me a couple times, nothing I can’t heal from, and who better to help me with that than him.” She turned to grin at Razor, showing the fangs that were the mark of the Tokh'dhraí racial ability, Thirst for Life. “I see that you’re pretty scared of my sister right now, and that’s understandable, but I’ll tell you a little secret… you should be far more scared of me. I’m an assassin, and if you ever cross us again, you’ll never hear or see me coming. The first and last thing that you’ll feel is my blade, my bullet, or my teeth.” With that she sank her teeth into his jugular, draining him of what blood and life force he had remaining to heal her wounds, giving a slight shudder as the last light of life drained from her victim’s eyes.

“Are you okay?” Venika asked, carefully approaching my sister.

Nishalle shook off whatever it was that she had been feeling. “I’m fine now. That wasn’t quite as gross as I had been imagining, it had a slightly fruity bouquet. It just felt weirdly good, like the biggest adrenaline rush I’ve ever had.”

“Good, I’m glad you’re feeling better sis,” I managed to say with a genuine smile as I fell again to my knees, my eyes blurring and my head spinning. The energy rush from whatever it was I had done had faded, and I had barely managed to keep up my intimidation act until Nishalle had finished Razor off.

“Taelya!” my companions all shouted at once before Rei caught me and laid me gently onto the ground.

My fiancé chanted a prayer to Inari in Japanese, his eyes closed as he held his hands to the bullet wound on my shoulder. “Shit, she’s lost a lot of blood and there’s a bullet lodged in there. I can’t heal her until we get the bullet out,” he said with a look of concern to the others. “The first aid kit I’ve got doesn’t have any forceps or anything, I really need to scavenge a hospital for some better medical tools. How the hell are we going to get the bullet out?”

“V… venika…” I called out to the Sprite, trying to steady my breathing, but not really succeeding. “K… kaida Siashe. F… focus on pulling the bullet out.” I carefully drew the sigils in the air for her with my good arm.

A look of determination settled over the Sprite’s small face as she watched me and then nodded. She took a deep breath and I could sense her gathering mana before drawing and speaking the sigils. “Kaida Siashe!” I could feel something moving inside my shoulder briefly before the agony caused me to scream out and, mercifully, I passed out.

~o~O~o~

I didn’t wake up in Hell, so I decided that things might be looking up, for the moment. I remembered the events before I fainted, but it was all a bit hazy, especially the specifics of how I had done whatever it was I had done. I almost thought it was a dream, before I went to sit up and searing pain erupted from my bandaged shoulder.

Rei was suddenly right there with tears in his eyes, pushing me back down into a lying position. “Don’t move yet babe, I just finished bandaging the wound, and the healing prayer, and it will take a few hours before you’re healed up properly. You lost a lot of blood too, I was afraid that we were going to lose you for a bit. Don’t you ever scare me like that again!” He turned away, I thought maybe to wipe the tears from his eyes, but he quickly produced some painkillers and a bottle of water, helping me to tilt my head up a bit to drink.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” I offered, trying to give him a smile. Then, once I had swallowed the pills and a healthy amount of water, I wondered aloud, “How long was I out?” I risked a quick look around to find that Nishalle was watching over me with a worried expression on her face, but nobody else seemed to be around.

“Grell and Pete went to take the deer carcass to the truck and Liss and Venika are scoping the perimeter so we don’t get any more surprises,” my sister explained, not taking her eyes off me.

Rei gently lowered my head again as he looked down at me, the look in his eyes reminding me of just how much he loved me, and how much I loved him. “You weren’t even out half an hour, which is why I want you to lay still and recover for a bit. I don’t care if another ogre attacks, you don’t move until I say so.”

I thought of teasing him about just who wore the pants in our relationship, but I figured that wouldn’t go so well for me given how many dresses I’d worn in the last two days. Instead I teased, “Hey, I’m the princess here, I should be the one giving the orders.”

That was when Lissany ran into sight with Venika flitting close behind her. The Beastkin girl was slightly out of breath, and it really wasn’t surprising since she’d been running in her armor. Thus it was Venika who said, “Ummm guys… I hate to break up this touching moment, but we’ve got company coming.”

Copyright © 2020 Amethyst Gibbs
up
293 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Enjoying

I'm enjoying the dynamics here - this is a really enjoyable story. Looking forward to the next chapter soon!

Thanks Tiffany

Amethyst's picture

I'm very glad you're enjoying it since I've put a lot into the characters, worldbuilding and really want it to be emotionally genuine and have solid inter character relationships.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Yay

Darn you and your cliffhangers. I wonder if what she did called the autumn court to her, hopefully it’s nothing bad they aren’t up to another fight. I wonder if it was really a power outage or their bodies breaking sync because of changes. I wonder if it was a monster attack?

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

I'm terrible, aren't I?

Amethyst's picture

Another cliffhanger, but as for both the company coming and the source of the power outage, we'll have to see what that's all about. Both incidents could be nothing to worry themselves over... or they could be something they should totally worry about, could swing either way really ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Apocalypse

totally enjoying reading this so far. I like this type tale.

Thanks Stacy

Amethyst's picture

I'm glad that you're enjoying it so far :)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Waiting Room

It did not sound too bad. I bet other than masochists, the designers of said room would’ve forced the waiting room crowd to watch all the speeches and listen to every tweet The Orange One in a continuous loop.

Sadly

Amethyst's picture

Some people might actually fine that entertaining or engrossing, and the waiting room was kind of meant to be annoying as all hell for gamers in particular. Thus the temptation of the soda machine. Pssst... The Mountain Dew is a lie. ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Well deserved

Amethyst's picture

We'll see what other punishments they deserve soon too.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Love this story

I just love this story and I am so looking forward to the next episodes (and because of the cliff hangers, just because it is sooooo good).

I just hope our princess will loose the dysforia.

Anne Margarete

Aww thanks Anne Margaret

Amethyst's picture

I'm really glad that people are enjoying this so much, sometimes ideas sound better in my head than when I get them in story format, and I was kind of afraid it might be the case with this story at first. I've been trying to keep things well written and interesting though, so I'm glad it seems to be paying off :)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Hell - LOL

That Hell description was great, and did indeed make me laugh out loud.

But if one's time in ghost form counts against the 24 hours, why wouldn't everyone do it? Even if the chance of resurrection is zero, in addition to the greater entertainment value that Laesa described, it provides you with a chance at reconnaissance that ought to help you after you recover.

(You said that money carries over if you have it on you at your demise. Maybe you ought to carry a deck of cards.)

That alleged power failure has to be setting up something for the future, but I'm having trouble coming up with any ideas. Of course, if there are people outside of the company bent on sabotage, the Queen's alter ego probably knows all about it, and could tell Taelya if there were a reason to.

If time is traveling six times faster in-game than outside, a five-minute distraction in real time would affect half an hour of gameplay. On the other hand, I'm not sure that a complete blackout would come through at game speed, or whether any game time went by while it was happening.

Eric

Hell

The designers are unspeakably evil. They must be dungeon masters in their off time.

Eeeevil

Amethyst's picture

I wouldn't doubt it, they do know how to make players suffer ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Hell

Amethyst's picture

I was trying to think of what hell might be like for gamer and I just loved the idea when it came to me.

Everyone should do it, it's a way to be useful, even when 'dead', but most people were just too impatient and wanted to get back to doing something, not realizing how hellish the waiting room would be. Maybe people will be more prepared for death in the future, or try harder to avoid it.

The power failure could be anything really and the players aren't really in a position to prove anything regardless. The time differential is actually closer to seven to one. In the case of a blackout there are priorities in the brief instant before the backup generator kicks in, first priority is the lives of those in the tubes and maintaining the game environment is a lower priority, thus their awareness was back in the tubes where they are in sensory deprivation and real time.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Power outage

Hmmm, seems very suspicious.

A critical system should have a very high redundancy in backup power (aka UPS) to protect against a power outage, megawatts if necessary I would think so it must’ve been a very serious event to lose power.

Or is the company is merely too ‘thrifty’ as is their wont.

On retrospect I have to wonder how Moira the company president (owner?) could interact in game time, since it is so accelerated, and still be aware of her normal space. Immersion level does not quite explain it imho.

Critical systems

Amethyst's picture

As was mentioned in the first chapter they have backups on their backups and were taking insane precautions to prevent corporate espionage.

The building's switch to backup power was relatively brief, and the tubes have a small backup power source of their own for when they have to switch between power from the city and generators, but when those on-board power sources are in use they automatically go into a powersave mode that prioritizes the life support in the tube over all else.

As for Moira, she's not above hiding things or telling half-truths, as we have seen before, if it suits her purposes.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

H3lls-Pwn

I don't think they will be enjoying the rest of the game. That was weirdly satisfying. I can't wait to see what punishment they receive -- after the Wild Hunt.

Being hunted naked by the entire Fey nation will get their attention.

Meanwhile, our heroes get to pick up another collection of weapons and armor.

I'm also looking forward to their meeting in rl after the game.

Wild Hunt

Amethyst's picture

Yeah it was satisfying to have them pay we'll see if they get other punishments besides the Wild Hunt, but you can bet that Amoiraishe (Moira) is none to happy with them messing with her daughter/personal project.

They'll probably get all the dropped weapons and such, but the armor might not have fared so well while they were being torn to pieces.

Their meeting in rl after could be very tense, and possibly very entertaining ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Arg!

Not another cliffhanger! This was another interesting chapter here. Taelya seems fairly OP if she can literally control the forest though I suppose her enemies aren't a balanced team so they had no way to counter it. Either way, I'm definitely looking forward to the next chapter!

Yes another cliffhanger ;)

Amethyst's picture

Taelya does seem pretty OP, at least when in a forest setting, and whatever she was doing was not mentioned in the Yseil'dhraí racial skills so what is she doing and how? Is Moira behind it somehow? Taelya is going to have even more questions now than she did before.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

You and your comments making

You and your comments making me even more curious than I was before.... I hadn't even thought about how it's not a normal thing for her race....

What can I say?

Amethyst's picture

I like to tease ;)

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Call to Arms

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Thinkin' she put out a call to arms that more than just the forest is answering. Maybe anyone near that had already pledged to protect?

Anything is possible

Amethyst's picture

Especially when you're dealing with that level of magic and mana in connection with a species deeply connected to nature.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Call to arms

I think the same thing I wonder if Taelya is really syncing up with being a high elf.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

It is within the realm of possibility

Amethyst's picture

She does seem to be taking to the high elf fairly easily, especially compared to how poorly she's taking to being a girl, at least consciously.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Call to arms

I think the same thing I wonder if Taelya is really syncing up with being a high elf.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Wonderful storytelling

Another addition to a formidable collection of stories. Seeing your name in the new story list makes my day shine. Thank you for sharing

Thanks morenonsense :)

Amethyst's picture

I'm glad you're enjoying it, comments like that really make my day shine and make the writing and worldbuilding worth it :)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Company

My5InchFMHeels's picture

If they have any luck, it'll be reinforcement

They did have luck

Amethyst's picture

It was just all bad, hopefully it improves ;)

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

But that would be boring if

But that would be boring if help showed up now that the battle is over, I'm betting on more mayhem.
Especially as Amethyst seems to enjoy her action scenes, as do we all.

lol

Amethyst's picture

Those action scenes can be so hard to get just right, I always wonder if its going to have good flow and feel genuine and it can be tricky, especially in a fantasy story. I'm glad that you enjoy them though :)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Just a power outage... right

Just a power outage... right.

With all of the other stuff going on, I wonder what _caused_ said power outage. Dimensional tearing, perhaps?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Windstorm maybe?

Amethyst's picture

They can get pretty bad in Vancouver, we lost power several times while I was living there due to wind storms.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Wouldn't know. My family is

Wouldn't know. My family is Eastern. Snow and ice, not rain and wind :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

So it is Ray now

So it is Ray now. Not a bad choice.

Tonight I was wondering what Rei could stand for. A hint could give the Japanese writing; possibly one of the following:
れい(Rei) - rei; zero; nought
レイ(Rei) - Rei; Ray; Lai; Lay; Laigh; Ley; Rae; Raye; Reay; Rej; Wray
令(Rei) - orders; ancient laws; command; decree
霊(Tama,Rei) - spirits; soul
冷(Rei) - cool; cold

or the following (but these would be "girly" too):
礼(Akira,Aya,Ayano,Yuki,Rei) - salute; bow; ceremony; thanks
零(Shizuku,Zero,Mio,Rei) - zero; nought
鈴(Suzu,Rin,Rei) - bell

It can't hurt to think about a name, his fortune might depend on it. :)

---

After the ogre attack I expected Ray to revert to his native fox form. That was a nasty ogre.

* hugs back, awkwardly but smiling *

gn・blizz

Rei

Amethyst's picture

I rather like 霊(Tama,Rei) - spirits; soul

I think it's very appropriate give s/he's a Kitsune. As for the post ogre fight, Taelya lost track of him and wasn't really completely aware of her companions until she let Nishalle finish off Razor, so it's entirely possible he switched to fox form to get under cover when the gunfire started. The ogre was nasty, but it was an interesting fight scene to write lol

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

I hope that Razor and the

I hope that Razor and the rest of h3lls pwn have learned their lesson, but at the same time I hope Razor tries something again just so his fate gets sealed. Wild Hunt and all the Autumn Court Justice aside, I bet the humans in Haven would put a bounty on his head as well, or risk dissolving the alliance with the fae. It would serve him right to either sit the whole game out in jail or be completely exiled.

Hopefully they've learned

Amethyst's picture

...or at the very least are too terrified of the Fae sisters to risk another direct confrontation. There's also Becky, the sheriff and GM, to consider, and whether she'll decide that attempted PKing goes against the cooperative nature the game is supposed to have.H3lls-Pwn could spend the next three months and change being very miserable.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Miserable

My5InchFMHeels's picture

LoL Firing squads at respawn time, so they get to pass the time in the "Waiting Room" for the duration?

They will have a rough time, with or without Becky GM. Respawn will cost them their goods, and not likely to get much help from anyone after what they pulled.

lol

Amethyst's picture

That's just unspeakably eeeevil.

They definitely won't be getting much help since they won't find many people among the other players sympathetic or foolish enough to cross the Fae, especially after what happened to H3lls-Pwn, They will indeed lose a lot with respawn, and since they put several skill points into gear, they're now going to be under-geared and under-skilled going forward. And the Fae won't sit back and allow them to get their bearings, they will want justice.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Sorry I've been so quiet.....

But I have been keeping up, all be it slowly. Princess Taelya was setup, it wasn't an accident that the gender setting malfunctioned. It will be interesting when the truth comes out. Loving Hugs, Talia (not Taelya)

That's okay

Amethyst's picture

We'll eventually find out if it really was an accident or if it was a setup, and more importantly in either case, why. There's a lot of truths that should be verrry interesting when they come to light. Noticed the similarities in your names did you? ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Not Smart.

Wonder how many XP points they lost in that maneuver.

Never liked PvP in mom s

Glad razor now has time to think about his error

People who camp a player spawn point are not ones that deserve their skin