Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 202

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 202


What a surprise.
The blessing for the hogan.
We’re going in the wrong direction.
Go to graduation. No. But, …


We’d taken both the ‘57 Chevy and the ‘53 Corvette to the Albuquerque Classic Car Club meeting at a local park, and after a little driver's education, Amy drove the Vet. We’d run into Chief Clah, the War Chief of the Navajo Nation, at the meeting, and he was surprised to see the ‘53 Corvette.

We were still looking for a book to teach the new computer design course with. Dr. Joe had even put feelers out to other universities asking what book they were using.

Dr. Joe, Dean Rutherford, and I had also had a meeting with our people from Los Alamos. The first thing that we learned was that the security authorization for Dr. Joe and I had been increased from ‘Confidential’ to ‘Secret.’ And that Dean Rutherford wouldn’t have access to some of the things that we would. Plus, this project had come down from someplace higher up than Los Alamos. Someplace that is known for their clandestine operations.

I’d also gotten the last of the books that we’d ordered to look at for the new course. They’ll have to wait until later this weekend.

Saturday morning after breakfast, Amy said, “Why don’t we light some of the lanterns in the hogan, so there’s some light in there when Charlie and Jackie come.”

“I don’t think we have any fuel for them.”, I replied.

“Well, go get some.”

“Come with me.”

“No, I want to start on lunch. Besides, I don’t know when Charlie and Jackie are coming, so someone needs to be here.”

“Okay.”

I ran over to the hardware store where we’d purchased the couches. And being a Saturday morning, they were busy. I grabbed a cart and started looking around. I found the lantern fuel, which is kerosene, and picked up two gallons, and I also found a funnel to use to help fuel the lanterns.

Then I looked around. I wandered into the electric department and found some of the things that I needed to put in the telephone extension plugs in the courtyard. I found a spool of four-conductor telephone wire, some conduit, and waterproof fittings, two plastic electric boxes, two weatherproof outlet covers, two four prong telephone jacks that mount in an electrical box, a four-prong plug, a roll of electrical tape, and I even found a spool of the pull wire. I’d use the pull wire to pull through the conduit along with the telephone wire just in case I wanted to pull something else through the conduit later. Now all I had to do was find a cradle telephone.

I looked around the hardware store some more, picked up a hacksaw to cut the conduit with, and wandered to their outdoor sales area. They had a lot of desert-type plants for doing landscaping. We needed to do a little landscaping around the hogan. I know. I know. Not a common thing, but the house has some beautiful desert landscaping plants. And the hogan is an extension of the house. So, I’ll file that information away for later.

As I walked back through the hardware store to check out, I spotted the telephones. I looked them over and found a nice Trim Line style phone. And I added that to my purchases for today.

I paid for everything and headed back to the house. When I was back, Charlie and Jackie hadn’t made it yet. I took everything and set it on the bench in the garage. Amy then walked out into the garage, saw everything that I’d bought, and said, “I thought that you were going after fuel for the lanterns.”

“I did.”, I replied. “I’ve got that. Plus, I found everything that I need to put a phone in the courtyard.”

“Send you for one thing, and you come back with the whole store.”, Amy said with a grin.

“Oh, be quiet.”

As she handed me a box of matches, she said, “Go fire up a couple of the lanterns.”

I took one of the cans of kerosene, the funnel, and the box of matches, and went to the hogan.

In the hogan, using the light from the smoke hole and a flashlight, I looked at the way Hosteen had wrapped the rope from one of the lanterns around the chock. I unwrapped the rope and lowered one of the lanterns. Hosteen had a loop at the end of the rope, and I hooked that over the chock, then I looked at the lantern. And it was resting on the floor, but just.

I walked over to the lantern with the gallon of kerosene and the funnel and filled the lantern. Then I adjusted the wick, lifted the glass globe, lit the wick, and lowered the globe. After it started burning well, I adjusted the wick for the most light. Then I raised the lantern back up so that it was even with the other lanterns. And it provided good light.

I decided to light three more of the lanterns. And when I had those lit, there was more light than I thought that there would be. Then I noticed that I’d lit the lanterns that were at the four cardinal directions — North, south, east, and west.

I took the funnel and can of kerosene back to the garage, and grabbed a bucket and an ash shovel and headed to the fire pit in the courtyard. Amy saw me and asked, “So how do the lanterns work?”

“They do a good job.”, I replied. “Go and see.”

Amy headed to the hogan, and I stopped at the fire pit. I filled the bucket with ashes from the fire pit and took them to the hogan. As I walked in, Amy said, “Four of those lanterns put out some nice light.”

“I know.”, I replied. “Do you want me to light the other four?”

“No, I think that four will be good.”

“Good.”

I filled the hogan’s fire pit with the ashes. Then I went and grabbed the wheelbarrow, and loaded it with some firewood from the big pile of split wood. I took that to the hogan and stacked it just outside the door. Then I took some of the wood into the hogan. And using a small hand ax and a knife, I made a bundle of kindling and a pile of small pieces of wood. I set the bundle of kindling in the center of the fire pit, then placed some of the little pieces of wood on top of the kindling, then laid a tipi fire with bigger logs.

As I was putting everything away, I heard the doorbell ring. I was dirty, but, Amy yelled, “Honey, can you get that.”

“Okay.”, I yelled back.

I walked into the entrance hall and opened the door. Charlie and Jackie were standing there. And Charlie said, “Kai, have you been digging in the dirt?”

“No, filling kerosene lanterns, and building a fire in the hogan’s fire pit. Why?”

“You have dirt all over your face.”

“I think Amy's in the kitchen. Go on in. I’m going to take a quick shower.”

I did take a shower and changed clothes. When I found the other three, Charlie was sitting at the breakfast bar, and Amy and Jackie were putting together lunch. And I asked, “So, Amy. Did you take them out to the hogan?”

“No.”, Amy said. “I’ve been busy with lunch.”

“Come on, you two. I’ll give you the nickel tour.”

“Go on out with Kai. We’ll go back out after lunch. I want to take some measurements before we go to Taos.”

I took Charlie and Jackie out to the hogan. First, we looked around the outside, and Charlie was impressed as to how it was built. Jackie just looked. Then we went in, and they were both taken by how the interior looked, and Charlie was interested in how the roof was supported.

Then Jackie asked, “This isn’t a typical hogan. Is it?”

“No, Jackie.”, I said. “You’ve seen the remote hogan at the resort. That is much closer to what a hogan is like. We modeled this one after my Uncle Gaagii's hogan plus what the people, Mr. and Mrs. Tl'izilani, who build this house were planning on building.

“The hogans that the Navajo people live in are closer to the remote hogan.”

“I remember seeing them when we visited the Four Corners area.”, Jackie said.

Amy stuck her head in the door and said, “Lunch is ready. And Kai, those four lanterns provide a lot of light.”

“With the light coming in through the smoke hole it’s enough during the day.”, I said. “We’ll have to see what it’s like after dark.”

We enjoyed one of Amy's wonderful lunches. Then the four of us went back out to the hogan, and Amy and Jackie took measurements. And while they were doing that, Charlie helped me fuel the other four lanterns. Then when Amy and Jackie finished their measurements, Charlie helped me extinguish the lanterns that were lit.

Then the four of us made the trip to The Rug House that’s just outside of Taos. On the way back, we told Charlie and Jackie about Naainish coming this evening to bless the hogan. Charlie asked, “Are you sure that it’s okay for us to be here when they are doing that blessing?”

“Yes.”, Ajie replied. “It’ll be fine.”

“We’ll lay a fire in the fire pit in the courtyard, and you and Jackie can enjoy the fire and the stars. And this blessing shouldn’t take that long.”

“Okay. It’s nice out here at night.”

When we were back at the house, we carried the rugs and two wall hangings that Amy had picked out to the hogan. Charlie and I relit the four lanterns. Then as Amy and Jackie put the rugs where Amy wanted them, at least for tonight, Charlie and I hung the two wall hangings with two of the three remaining hangers that Mr. Yazzie had made.

All I can say is that Amy did an excellent job choosing the rugs and wall hangings.

Amy and Jackie put together a nice frybread taco dinner. I know Amy had something for after the ceremony. So, we’d wait for the desert.

After dinner, Ajie and I changed into some fancy clothes. And at about seven-thirty, the doorbell rang. Both Ajie and I walked to the front door and opened it. I was surprised as to who was there. As I was expecting, it was Naainish. And he had brought Quah Ah, the medicine woman from the Taos Pueblo with him.

Ajie and I said together, “Yá’át’ééh, Naainish dóó Quah Ah. T'áá shoodí wóshde´e´’. - (It is good, Naainish and Quah Ah. Please come in.)”

They came in, and both Ajie and I received serious hugs from Quah Ah. And Naainish said, “Yá’át’ééh, Kai dóó Ajie.”

After the hugs, Quah Ah saw the three wall hangings in the entryway, and said, “Kai and Ajie, those three wall hangs are you. And this house feels like it’s always been you.”

“Thank you, Quah Ah.”, I said. “It’s so nice to see you again.”

“I’ve told Quah Ah about this house.”, Naainish said. “She just had to come with me.”

“Quah Ah, you are always welcome in our house.”

“Thank you, Kai.”, Quah Ah said.

“Show her around.”, Naainish said. “I’ll visit with Charlie and Jackie.”

“There’s a fire laid in the courtyard’s fire pit.”, I said. “Tell Charlie to go ahead and light it. And we’ll be there as soon as we show Quah Ah around.”

Later as we walked out onto the courtyard, Quah Ah said, “Kai and Ajie, this house is so nice!”

“Thanks, Quah Ah.”, Ajie said. “We’re still settling in. But, it feels more and more like home every day.”

After Quah Ah said hello to Charlie and Jackie, Naainish, Quah Ah, Ajie, and I excused ourselves and went out to the hogan. After looking around the hogan, Quah Ah said, “I’ve never seen a hogan like this.”

“You’re too used to Naainish taking you to the remote hogan at the resort.”, I said.

“Kai, if that hogan were like this one, it wouldn’t be a remote hogan. Everyone would want to stay in it.”

Then Naainish said, “This is like your Uncle Gaagii’s hogan.”

“It is.”, I replied. “It was built by the same people.”

Naainish asked me to light the fire, which I did. Then he started the ceremony. About forty-five minutes later, we rejoined Charlie and Jackie. And, Ajie said, “If you give Jackie and me a few minutes, I have some dessert for everyone.”

I threw a few more logs on the fire. Then I went back to the hogan to extinguish the lanterns and check on the fire. It wasn’t much later that Ajie and Jackie were back with six bowls. Before she handed them out, Ajie said, “I hope everyone likes chocolate ice cream.”

“What did you make?”, Quah Ah asked.

“Mexican fried ice cream.”

“I’ve only had fried ice cream made with vanilla ice cream.”

“I thought I’d try something different.”

Everyone enjoyed the fried ice cream. And Naainish said, “I’m happy I don’t live close to you, Ajie.”

“Why is that?”, Ajie asked.

“I would blow up like a balloon with all the good food.”

Ajie smiled, shook her head, and said, “Look at Kai, she’s skinny, and she eats like a horse.”

“Oh, thanks.”, I said. “You feed me like that.”

“You don’t have to eat it all.”

“I don’t like to waste food.”

“Can I ask you something?”, Naainish asked.

“Of course.”, I replied.

“Quah Ah and I have some business in Window Rock tomorrow morning. And it would be closer if we could stay here tonight.”

“We only have the one-bedroom that’s not in use right now.”, Ajie replied.

“I was thinking of the hogan.”

“There’s no straw for bedding.”, I said.

“That’s no problem. We have blankets and air mattresses with us.”

I looked at Ajie and said, “It’s your call.”

“If you’ll be comfortable there, it’s yours.”, Ajie said.

I gave Naainish the key to the hogan and a key to the sliding glass door off of the courtyard. Then as I went to the hogan to relight a couple of the lanterns, and stir up the fire, Naainish went out to his pickup truck and came into the hogan carrying two bundles of what I took to be bedding. Naainish and I then went back to the courtyard, and a short time later, as Naainish and Quah Ah were turning in, Naainish said, “We may leave before you’re up. I’ll leave the keys on the floor by the one wall hanging.”

I said, “Thank you for everything, Naainish. And Quah Ah, please come back and see us.”

“You come and see us at the Pueblo too.”, Quah Ah replied.

“We will.”

Ajie and I said “Yá'át'ééh hiilchi'i'. – (Goodnight.)” to Quah Ah and Naainish as they walked out to the hogan. And Charlie and Jackie add, “Goodnight.”

Naainish returned a “Yá'át'ééh hiilchi'i', t'áá ájíltso. - (Goodnight, everyone.)”

And there was a little translation for Charlie and Jackie.

I looked at Ajie and said, “I thought that you wanted us to be the first ones to sleep in the hogan?”

“I did.”, Ajie said. “But how could I say no to Naainish and Quah Ah.”

“I guess we couldn’t.”

Charlie, Jackie, Ajie, and I spent a little longer sitting out in the courtyard, enjoying the night sky.

Later as Charlie and Jackie were turning in and we were saying goodnight, Jackie tried to say goodnight in Navajo and didn’t do a bad of a job.

When Ajie and I were alone, I said, “I’m surprised that you said that it was okay for Naainish and Quah Ah to stay in the hogan. You were so determined to be the first one to sleep there.”

“How could I say no to Naainish.”, Ajie said. “After everything that he’s done for us.”

“Good point, love.”

Sunday morning Amy and I were the first ones up, or so I thought. When I walked out to the paper box to get the Sunday Albuquerque paper, I noticed that Naainish’s pickup truck was gone.

I came back into the house, and Amy was sitting in the big room. I gave her the paper and went out back to check the hogan. I found the keys on the floor under one of the wall hangings. And everything looked good. The fire was out, and the lanterns that I’d lit last night were out.

When I walked back into the house, Jackie was up and sitting with Amy. I sat next to Amy, and Jackie said, “You know I find talking with Naainish and Quah Ah to be fascinating.”

“Yes.”, I said. “They can be interesting. We’ve learned so much from Naainish. And Quah Ad is a wealth of information on the Pueblo and the area around Taos.

“Oh, keep next Friday open.”

“Why?”, Jackie asked.

“It’s the first barbecue at the resort.”

“Oh. We won’t be guests of the resort. Can we still go?”

“Of course you’re guests. You’re our guests. And besides, you’ll be working there once school is over. And you need to enjoy the fun side of the barbecue before my uncle puts you to work.”

“We’ll keep it open.”

Once Charlie was up, we had breakfast, and Charlie and Jackie headed back to the university. They both had papers due on Monday.

The rest of Sunday was, I guess, just Sunday. Amy and I worked on things for next week’s classes. And I had some books to look at. And we called our parents.

None of these books were doing anything for me. And actually, the more I thought about this class, the more I felt that it might not be the direction to go. I need to talk to the Dean.

Monday, Dr. Joe and I had to decide on the new project from Los Alamos. So, after my classes, on the way to my office, I stopped at the student union and picked up lunch, then went to the office. Dr. Joe was there, and when I walked in, he saw that I was carrying my lunch, and he said, “I was going to suggest we get lunch.”

“There’s too much to do today.”, I replied.

I pulled the books for the new course out of my briefcase, set them on Dr. Joe’s desk, and said, “Here’s the last of the books for the new course. Have a look at them, but I think it’s a waste of time.”

“A waste of time?”, Dr. Joe said. 

“Yes, we’re looking at this whole thing the wrong way.”

“The wrong way?”

“Computers are evolving so quickly that by the time you learn something, it’s outdated. And books on them are outdated before they can be printed. So I feel that we’re going at this all the wrong way.

“I think that from the engineering standpoint that we train electrical engineers and introduce them to the design of computers like we’re doing. Maybe expand it a little and keep it up to date. Then if they are interested in building computers, when they go to work for the likes of IBM or whoever, that the company will teach them the details.

“I feel that the university should look at not so much the design side of computers, but emphasis the programming of them. Computers are stupid and can’t do anything until you tell them what to do.

“There are operating systems and application programs, and it takes people to write those.”

Dr. Joe looked at me for a few seconds, then said, “Dr. Nez. You had an epiphany. And I tend to agree with you.”

“Good.”, I said. “Let’s stop wasting time and concentrate on the project from Los Alamos.

“And on that point. I’ve had time to think over the project, and I think we need to do it. It’s complicated, but not hard. Others have done a lot of the basic work. All we’ll have to do is put those ideas together to get the results that they want.”

“You’re on a roll today aren’t you, Kai?”, Dr. Joe said.

“Maybe.”

“No, you are. Are you ready to talk to the Dean?”

“Not yet. I’ve got a few things on the project I want to look at first. Call and see if he can see us at three.”

“I’ll do that. But, I’m going to grab some lunch first.”

“Lock the door on your way out.”

An hour later, I heard a key in the door. I looked up as Dr. Joe walked in and said, “We’re on for three o’clock.”

“We’re on?”, I asked.

“Meeting with the Dean.”

“Oh. Okay.”

“And our new high-security lock will be here tomorrow, and they’re delivering it directly to the Dean's office.”

“That’s good.”

Dr. Joe pulled his binder out of the file cabinet, sat at his desk, and read.

At a little before three, Dr. Joe said, “You about ready to go.”

“As ready as I will ever be.”, I replied.

Dr. Joe and I locked away our binders in the file cabinet, locked the office door, and headed to the Dean's office. As we walked into the Dean Rutherford office, Sara saw us, and said, “Hi, Kai, Dr. Oshie. Go on back, he’s expecting you.”

“Thanks, Sara.”, I said.

We walked back to the Dean’s office, and Dr. Joe knocked. And, we heard a, “Come in.”

Dr. Joe opened the door, and we walked in. Not only was Dean Rutherford there, but a woman who I’ve never seen. They were sitting at the small meeting table. And, the Dean said, “Miss Nez, Dr. Oshie, please join us.”

As Dr. Joe and I took seats at the table, the Dean said, “Mrs. Cooper, I’d like you to meet Miss Kai Nez and Dr. Joe Oshie. Miss Nez and Dr. Oshie, I'd like you to meet Mrs. Jane Cooper.”

We exchanged pleasantries. Then the Dean said, “After what Dr. Oshie told me this morning, I thought it might be a good idea to have Mrs. Cooper here. Mrs. Cooper is in charge of developing the courses that the university is planning to offer in computer programming.

“And Mrs. Cooper, as I explained, we were planning on offering a course in computer design, and I feel that Miss Nez has also come up with what you were aiming for.

“Miss. Nez, would you care to tell us what you told Dr. Oshie this morning?”

“Of course sir.”, I said. “I feel that we’re wasting time in providing a course in computer design, it’s a field that is evolving so quickly that it’s almost impossible to keep up with it. I feel that we need to offer an introductory course to our students as we do now. And then if our graduates go into the field of designing computers that whoever they go to work for will train them the way they want to.

“And instead of offering the computer design program that the university needs to offer a course of study in computer programming. Like I told Dr. Oshie, computers are stupid and can’t do anything until you tell them what to do. And that includes there operating systems.”

“Miss Nez.”, Mrs. Cooper said. “This is exactly the idea that I’ve been pushing for.”

“Mrs. Cooper.”, Dean Rutherford said. “I think that you’ve just received the backing of the College of Engineering. And I’m going to request, with the backing of Dr. Oshie and Miss Nez, that the Board of Regents approve your program.”

I saw Mrs. Cooper smile, then she said, “Thank you, Dean Rutherford. I’m happy that you included me in this meeting. I’ve heard so much about Miss Nez that I’ve wanted to meet her. And, Miss Nez, I’m glad that I’ve finally met you.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Cooper.”, I said. “It’s been a pleasure to meet you also. If we can be of any assistance to you, please let us know.”

“I will, Miss Nez. And now, if you’ll excuse me, I have another meeting.”

After Mrs. Cooper left, the Dean said, “Miss Nez, I’m glad that you came up with that. I think this will be best for the university.”

“Am I going to have to go to another Board of Regents meeting?”, I asked.

“It would be good if you did.”

“Let me know when.”

“I will, Miss Nez. Now, before you two leave. You know that the new high-security lock for your office will be delivered tomorrow. I’ll want one of you to come down, and take it to your office and lock it, unopened, in the file cabinet. And they’ll install it on Wednesday.”

“Isn’t that when they’re also going to install the alarm system?”, Dr. Joe asked.

“Yes, so one of you will have to be there while they’re doing the work.”

“That should work. I can be there while Kai has morning classes, and she can be there while I’m at my classes in the afternoon.

“And, Dean, Kai and I have decided that the Los Alamos project is doable. So, if you’d call them and tell them.”

“I’ll be happy to, Dr. Oshie.”

As Dr. Joe and I walked past Sara, I said, “Have a nice evening, Sara.”

“You too, Kai.”, Sara replied.

Then as we walked towards our office, I asked, “Dr. Joe, did you know that Mrs. Cooper was going to be there.”

“No.”, Dr. Joe said. “But, when I told him about our talk this morning, he took a stronger than usual interest in what I said.”

“Interesting. So I guess we can put the course in computer design aside.”

“I think we can. We’ll give the books to the library.”

“I think I’m going to call it a day.”, I said.

“Me too.”, Dr. Joe said.

When I was home, Amy was there, and I received a very warm welcome home. Then she said, “Both the College of Nursing and the College of Medicine want to add a course in working with the native people, and they want me to teach it.”

“You would be the logical choice. Did you tell them yes.”

“Uh huh.”

“Good girl.”

“I’m just going to have to develop the text for it and a guide.”

“Can you do that?”, I asked.

“I hope so. They’re looking to offer it Winter quarter.”, Amy replied.

“Knowing you, that will be more than enough time. And I’ll help you as much as I can.”

“I hope you’re right. I’m planning on using the seminar that I did as the basis for the text.”

“That’ll be a good tarting point.”

“And, don’t tell anyone yet, but Vickie is going to be the acting dean after graduation.”

“Really!? Does that mean that she’ll be the Dean?”

“I don’t know, and she isn’t telling.”

“Wait!”

“What?”

“Graduation.”, I said. “We’re faculty. Don’t we have to go to graduation?”

“I don’t know.”, Amy said. “Where’s your faculty handbook?”

I ran and found my faculty handbook in the office and brought it back to the big room. I sat next to Amy, and we looked through the handbook. When I found it, I said, “It says here that part-time faculty aren’t required to attend graduation, but it would be good if they did.”

“Okay, I don’t need to go.”, Amy said.

“But, it says here that all full-time faculty are required to attend.”

“But you do.”

“It might be too late for me to order the regalia. I’d better call the book store.”

I picked up the phone and called the book store. When they answered, I asked if it was too late to order the graduation regalia for faculty. And as I was afraid of, it was. I wondered what I should do, and they told me to talk to my Dean.

I hung up and called the College of Engineering Dean’s office. When the phone was answered, I heard a friendly voice. It was Sara. So, I said, “Hi, Sara. It’s Kai.”

“Hello, Kai. What can I do for you?”

“I just learned that by being a full-time faculty member that I’m required to attend graduation.”

“Yes, Kai, you are.”

“I also just called the book store, and it’s too late to order my regalia. What do I do?”

“Good question. Let me have you talk to Dean Rutherford.”

“He’s still there?”

“Yes, and so am I.”

Sara transferred me to the Dean. When he answered, I explained my predicament. He chastised me, and then asked, “Do you still have your regalia from your undergraduate school.”

“Yes.”, I replied. “But it’s back home.”

“Where’s back home?”

“Columbus, Ohio.”

“Oh, that’s right. Ohio State.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Is it black?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Any honor cords?”

“Yes, sir. Cum Laude.”

“Do you think that you could have it shipped out here in time for graduation?”

“I’ll try. And if I can’t?”, I replied.

“We’ll cross that bridge when and if we get to it.”, the Dean replied.

“Yes, sir. I’ll see what I can do.”

We said so long and hung up.

Ajie and I looked at each other, and she said, “You’d better call your mother.”

I called home, and my mother was there. I told her what was going on, and she told me that both my cap and gown and Amy’s, were still in my closet and that she’d send both of them to me.

As I said so long and hung up the phone, Amy asked, “Well?”

“They're still there, and she’s shipping them out. But, I’ll bet it’s different then what everyone else will be wearing.”

“Could be. Wait a minute. Both?”

“Yes. Yours and mine.”

“Why mine?”

“Doesn’t the faculty handbook say that it would be a good idea for part-time faculty to attend graduation?”

“Yes.”

“Well?”

She frowned at me and said, “Okay. I’ll go with you.”

“We’re going to have to take our tassels out of the frames that our dads put them in and find our honor cords.”, I said.

“I know where all of that stuff is.”, Amy said. “I was going to put our diplomas up in the office and hang our honor cords from them.”

“At least we know where those things are.

“Oh, were going to drop the computer design course.”

“Why?”, Amy asked.

“We feel that the field is evolving so quickly that there’s no way that we can keep up with it. So, it was felt that it would be better for the university to concentrate on programming.”

Tuesday was just Tuesday. Except that I was sitting at Dr. Joe’s desk, okay, it’s my desk too, and I was concentrating on my reading on the Los Alamos project when the phone rang, and it startled me out of my deep concentration. I answered it, “Miss Nez.”

“Miss Nez.”, I heard a man say. “This is Dean Rutherford. The new lock for your office door is here. Could you come down and get it.”

“Yes, sir. I’ll be right down.”

We both hung up. I locked my binder in the file cabinet and went to the Dean’s office.

As I walked into the Dean’s office, Sara said, “Hi, Kai.”

“Hi, Sara.”, I replied.

“Did you solve your regalia problem.”

“Yeah, my mom is sending my cap and gown from Ohio State.”

“That’s good. The Dean has a box for you. Go on back, he’s expecting you.”

“No, I’m right here, Sara.” we heard Dean Rutherford say.

“Is that the new lock, Dean.”, I asked.

“Yes, Miss Nez, it is. Be sure to lock it in the file cabinet.”

“I will, sir.”

“I heard you say that they’re shipping your cap and gown to you.”

“Yes, but I’m afraid that it won’t look the same as everyone else’s.”

“Is it black?”

“Yes, sir. Both the cap and gown. But the tassel is orange.”

“The tassel is different but will have to do. Any honor cords?”

“Yes, sir. Cum Laude.”

“Good. Be sure to wear those.”

“Yes, sir.”

“And next time, be sure to order your regalia soon enough.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I’ll be coming up to check on the alarm and lock. So, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yes, sir.”

The Dean left. Sara looked at me and said, “Behave yourself, Kai.”

“I plan to.”, I replied. “I was getting tired of saying, yes sir.”

I took the box back to the office, locked it in the file cabinet, and went back to my reading. And I managed to get another couple of hours of reading done. I also took some interesting notes.

At about five, I headed home. Amy had worked in the ER today, and she only beat me home by a few minutes. So we were both changing out of our work clothes at the same time. As we were changing, Amy said, “Since I’ll be teaching next academic year, they want to keep me part-time in the ER and use me to cover vacations, people calling off, and things like that.”

“So, you won’t know that far ahead when you’ll be working?”

“No. Except for covering vacations.”

“That’ll make it hard to plan anything,”

“I know, and I told them that. And they said that they’d work with me.”

“Hmm. What about when Bill and Bridget are here?”, I asked.

“I asked them about that too.”, Amy said. “And I got the same thing, we’ll work with you.”

“I guess we’ll have to see what happens.”

“I guess. And if it doesn’t work out, I may have to do something drastic.”

“Oh. Like what?”

“I don’t know yet. But I’ll think of something.”

“Interested in a pizza?”, I asked.

“Not really.”, Amy said. “But I could go for a cheeseburger, fries, and a milkshake.”

“Oh, comfort food. Your wish is my command, my love.”

Amy and I then headed to our favorite drive-in and had a wonderful meal.

Wednesday, after I taught my classes, I went to the office, and it was a mess. They were installing the alarm system. I’m not going to bore you with the details of this. Other than to say that either Dr. Joe or I had to be there while they were working in the office. Plus, they’d be here sometime today to install the new high-security lock on the door. So, no work today on the project for Los Alamos.

Dr. Joe wasn’t back when the guys installing the alarm system finished and showed me how it worked. Now I had a five-digit number to remember.

When Dr. Joe was back, I walked him through the procedure to arm and disarm the alarm system. And he grumbled about having to remember a five-digit code.

We still had about an hour that we could work on the project, but then the guys showed up to install the new lock on the door. And they needed Dean Rutherford to sign before they could open the envelope with the keys in it. So I called the Dean, and he came up to the office. He waited while the lock cylinder was changed. Then he signed for the three keys. And then he had Dr. Joe and me sign for one key each.

At this point, Dr. Joe and I decided to call it a day. Dr. Joe watched me as I armed the alarm. And, once I had it armed, we had thirty seconds to get out of the office, and close and lock the door.

As we walked to the faculty parking lot, Dr. Joe said, “I sure hope that I remember that code.”

“You will.”, I replied.

When I got home, Amy took one look at me and asked, “Did you have a rough day? You look whipped.”

“You know.”, I said. “I feel whipped. After I taught my classes, then I just sat around, read a little, and watched as they installed the alarm system in the office. And I think sitting around and doing nothing is harder than a day of hard work.”

“Psychologically, it probably is harder. You want to accomplish something and can’t.”

“Now, I can’t wait until Friday.”

“Friday?”

“The barbecue.”

“Oh yeah!”

“Did you forget?”

“No. I’ve had this thing about the way they want me to work this summer in the ER bothering me.”

“Not happy, are you?”

“Not really. I wanted full time. I may have to grin and bear it.”

“I think once you get your doctoral that you may have more leverage about what you do.”

“You might just be right.”

“So, what’s for dinner.”

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, I know that I've been saying that you can log in as 'Guest Reader' to leave comments and you can. But, if you want to leave Kudos, once 'Guest Reader' has left a Kudo you can't use it again. The best way is to have your own Log In and its free. But, donations do help keep this site up. And, don't forget:

Authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

AttachmentSize
Image icon TrimLine-Telephone.jpg12.23 KB
up
261 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you, Teddie,

Another lovely episode for our enjoyment . Kai's female spirit seems to be the controlling factor for our Twin Spirited
lecturer and one wonders whether Tommy will ever return . A warm and entertaining story .

lol

smdani4mm's picture

lol

SmDani4

BIG GRIN!

BIG GRIN!

Still loving the story

Keep up the good work. I really enjoy the ongoing storyline and the characters. Thanks so much.

Robyn Adaire

Thanks, Robyn. I enjoy all

Thanks, Robyn. I enjoy all the nice comments that I receive.

Computer programming classes in 1968

In the Spring of 1968 I took a class at UCLA in FORTRAN IV programming using the WATFOR compiler on an IBM System/360 mainframe. So, while University of New Mexico (according to the story) was looking into offering courses in computer programming, other major universities were already doing it.

I know, I was programming

I know, I was programming back in '64 in Fortran, 1400 machine language, actually wiring unit record equipment boards. I also just started playing with the 360s in '65. The timeline for the story is not completely historic. I claim poetic license. ;-)

I came into programming in

I came into programming in Grade XI in 1979. By that time, WATFIV had been released. Both are a spinoff product of the University of Waterloo, of which I am a graduate of the Faculty of Mathematics.

One of the huge innovations (at the time) of WATFOR is the compiler produced error messages.

Key punches

For me, the worst thing about programming in the mid 1960s was the darn keypunch cards and my fingers and eyes inability to totally distinguish between 0 and O. And heaven help you if you dropped the cards on the way to the university's computer center. Students were only allowed one run a day. And then there were the endless DO loops you might inadvertently construct. I started with FORTRAN II and then went to DAFT (or vice-versa) which (I was told) stood for Dual Autocoder Fortran Translator. I do not miss those days! BTW, the ability to palm a basketball played havoc with attempts to construct integrated circuitry!

Thanks, D. Eden. Even a

Thanks, D. Eden. Even a short comment like this means a lot to me.

Teddie

Teddie

I know that I have not commented for several Chapters but every one has received an addition to the Kudos tally. I have enjoyed the moving house of Kai and Ajie along with the events of the UoNM.

I suppose that Kai and Ajie's use of their Ohio Graduation tassels and Honour Cords will only mean a temporary removal from display in their home as they will receive new ones from the UoNM when they both graduate there?

Nice to see that there only 98 Chapters to go to the 300th - and I'm looking forward to each and every one of them if that is not being too demanding !

All the best
Brit

Hi Brit,

Hi Brit,

Thank you for the Kudos, Brit!

I think they wear the honor cords from where they're earned. Never having earned any, I'm not sure.

98 Chapter to the 300th!!!! ARG!!!!!!

Hi Teddie,

98 Teddie, just teasing Teddie, just teasing, although the road ahead is way less than the road behind thus far. So with the blessing of the Great Spirit, the support of your Muse, the love and the investment that you have in your characters, and with the continued support of your devoted readers, then the path should be easier to tread.

Brit

BIG SMILE

BIG SMILE

Teddie, a big smile.

If I have managed to put a big smile on your face then it is but small recompense for both the happiness and tears that you have brought to me, and many others, with your gifted writing.

A very contented
Brit

Yep. A BIG SMILE.

Yep. A BIG SMILE.

Many Paths In Computers

When I got out of Community College, after service in the Vietnam Era, rather than go on to learn programming and design, I was desperate for money to feed the family and went to work in a Factory, eventually becoming a Licensed Electrician. I had the chance to apply at Los Alamos, and later Techtronics, but needed the security of steady employment. There was a brief stint at INTEL, but it was all too Obsessive Compulsive and with the arrogant management, I got out of there.

I remember seeing one of the first ICs that had four Transistors. In just a few years, I was working for a company that was building their own Micro Processors, using 7100 and 8081 chips. By Early 90, I had my own computer with an amber screen and floppy disks.

I wish I had known what I now know about my Native American background... I would never have wasted my time with Christians, Muslims, or Mormons. Perhaps I'd have learned to understand and make peace with my two natures and not let Psychological people tear my life apart and leave me as road kill.

Back in 1980, I had an ATARI

Back in 1980, I had an ATARI 800. Which you could program in BASIC.

I'm trying to remember the time line,

but some where about then Intel released the 4004 IC, the first CPU IC, it was only 4 bit, but it begat the 8008,which begat the 8080,8086,and many other chip that were used in the XT. They were 8 bit chips, but they started the computer revolution.

The 4004 was released in 1971

The 4004 was released in 1971. The 8008 in 1972. And the 8080 in 1974.