Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 40

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 40
The aftermath and Kelly finds out.

Amy and I had said so long to Kelly and walked out of the lecture hall. As we walked out of the door, we found Dr. Whitmeyer and a couple of the people who’d left with him standing there. I froze.

We just looked at each other, then he finally said, “Young lady. Can I speak to you?"

“No sir.”, I said. “I have nothing to say to you.”

“Young lady. Please. I would just like to apologize to you. I now realize how wrong I was. How wrong we were.”

“It’s a little late for that. It would be better if you didn’t have to apologize in the first place. If you had just checked out Mr. Thomas’s work, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. So, I have absolutely nothing to say to you.”

We turned and started to walk out of the building.

“Young lady. Please, I need to apol … “

I spun around, and interrupted him with, “Dr. Whitmeyer! You don’t owe me an apology. You owe Mr. Thomas an apology, you owe Dr. Grunewald an apology, and you owe the Navajo people an apology.”

“I know, I know, and I’ll do that.”

Pointing at the door to the lecture hall, I said, “Everyone that should hear your apology to Mr. Thomas and Dr. Grunewald is still in that room. Now would be a good time to deliver your apology to them.

“An apology to the Navajo people could probably best be done by a research paper, written by someone like yourself, showing the truths of what a half-woman and a half-man person is like and how their people feel about them.

“I sense that you are not a narrow-minded person and that you are open to ideas. Other people’s ideas. Take a look at the native American people. Look at their ideas. You don’t have to accept them as your own beliefs, but at least examine them and see what you can learn from them.

“Think of all the time and energy that you and others wasted in coming up with all the untruths that you told. Think of what good that energy could have been put to.”

“Young lady, you are something else.”, Dr. Whitmeyer said. “I hope you’re not studying law. Because if you ever became a judge, you would be tough.

“And young lady. I am going in there right now and apologize.”

I said, “Good.” Then I took Amy’s hand and walked towards the building’s front door.

Later when we were back home, as we walked into the kitchen, I collapsed onto a chair, and said, “God. Did all of that really happen?”

“Yes. Honey.”, Amy said. “It did.”

Mom then walked into the kitchen, and said, “I thought I'd heard someone come in.”

“Hi, Mom.”, I said.

“How was the seminar?”

I looked at Amy, and said, “You tell her. I can’t.”

Amy told my mother what had happened at the seminar. And when she finished, my mother said, “Tammy. This is unreal. Someone was attacking the author of a research paper in that way. But I’m proud of the way you supported Larry. Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, Mom.”, I replied. “I’m more worried about Larry. He was almost in tears.”

“Honey.”, Amy said. “You should have seen Larry while you were politely telling that professor off. At first, he was almost in tears, but as you went on, he got a smile on his face. Dr. Grunewald just sat there and looked at you in disbelief.”

“I feel a little better now.”

“You shouldn’t feel bad at all.”, my mother said. “You stood up for a friend and did it in a good way.”

“I’m going to go and change.”

I headed back to our room, and Amy followed me. As she closed the door behind us, she tapped me on the shoulder, I turned around, and she wrapped her arms around me and gave me a long, deep, kiss.

As we broke the kiss, I asked, “What was that for?”

“That was for two things.”, Amy replied. “Because you are the best friend in the world. And because I love you so very much.”

I didn’t say anything, but just pulled her tighter and kissed her.

A few hours later Amy and I were sitting on the porch, reading, and we heard a car pull into the driveway. I looked, and it was Larry’s car. I watched as Larry and Kelly got out and started walking towards the kitchen door. I called to them and told them to come and join us on the porch.

As they walked up on the porch, Kelly asked, “Where’s Tammy.”

“She’s here.”, I replied. “In spirit.”

“She is isn’t she.”

“Always.”

“I’ve learned that.”

“Now. What are you two doing here?”, I asked.

“We’ve come to take you two out to a big steak dinner.”, Larry said. “I really wanted to take Amy and Tammy.”

“Sorry old friend. She’s not around right now. And you don’t need to take us out to dinner.”

“Tom. What you, or Tammy, did today was unbelievable. You stood up to someone who I didn’t have the nerve to stand up to. And you told him off in a way that wasn't nasty, and that he didn’t have a comeback for. Dr. Grunewald couldn’t believe it either.

“And when Dr. Whitmeyer came back in and apologized it shocked everyone.

“Dr. Whitmeyer admitted that he not only had his facts wrong, and that I could and did write the paper, but that he’d met his match in you.”

“Larry. If you know what’s right and have your facts straight, you can stand up to anyone. His facts were faulty. And I just stated the facts.

“It’ll be interesting to see if he goes through with his promise to apologize to the people of the Navajo Nation.”

“He promised to apologize to them too?”

“Yes. I told Dr. Whitmeyer that he should also apologize to the people of the Navajo Nation and that could probably be done by a paper telling the true story of the half-woman and half-man people.”

“So, that’s what he was talking to Dr. Grunewald about.”

“He was?”

“Yeah. I overheard Dr. Whitmeyer telling her something about doing some research on two spirit people and writing a paper.”

“Good.”

“Now what about dinner?”

“Larry it’s not necessary.”

“Yes, it is. It’s the least I can do. And Kelly and I are already dressed for dinner, and we want you to join us. Why don’t you two go and change, and Kelly and I will wait here.”

“I guess. Why don’t we see where Mom is and you can visit with her while we’re changing.”

The four of us went into the house and found my mother. And she was happy to see Larry and Kelly. We told her what we were doing, and Amy and I headed to our room.

As we walked into our room, Amy asked, “Well is it going to be Tom or Tammy, or maybe even Kai?”

“Why would it be Kai?”, I asked.

“I miss her.”

“But Larry wanted Tammy to go.”

“I know. But it would be a surprise.”

“You miss her. Don’t you?”

“Yeah.”

“You know Kai isn’t comfortable here?”

“I know. But why?”

“She feels that she doesn’t fit in. She’s a native girl from the Southwest and being in the Midwest just doesn’t work for her.”

“Maybe try dressing a little differently. And Kai may feel better about it.”

“Dress like how?”

“Well, maybe a pair of slacks, a pair of short heels, one of your blouses from New Mexico, maybe the Concho belt, and a little jewelry. And maybe do your hair in a ponytail.”

“Hmm. ... I’ll give it a try.”

A short time later Amy and I walked out of our room. Amy wore a very nice pants suit and heels. Her hair was in a ponytail. The only jewelry that she was wearing was a pair of the silver feather earrings, and of course, her wedding rings. And as usual, her makeup was immaculately done.

Kai was here. I wore one of my fancy blouses and pair of black slack with the Concho belt. A pair of flats. I’d put my black wig into a ponytail held in place with the beaded barrette. I wore the pair of silver feather earrings that grandma had given me. And my makeup for Kai was, as usual, very minimal.

Amy looked at me, and said, “Very nice, honey. Still the native girl from the Southwest with a touch of the Midwest. How do you feel?”

“Okay.”, I replied. “Still out of place. But with friends, it’ll be all right.”

“You’ll do fine.”

We found my mother, Kelly, and Larry sitting at the kitchen table and talking. The three of them looked at us, and Kelly said, “Kai. You look great.”

“Thanks.”, I replied. “I’m still not comfortable being here.”

“Honey.”, my mother said. “That will come with time.”

“I know.”

“Why Kai?”, Larry asked.

“We wanted to try and see if we could make her more comfortable here by dressing her a little differently and then being with friends.”, Amy replied.

“Well, I guess I can’t complain. I’ll be out with three pretty girls.”

“Behave yourself.”, Kelly said.

“Do I have to?”

Kelly held up her left hand and pointed to her engagement ring.

Larry grinned, and said, “Yes dear.”

Kelly frowned at him, and said, “Mister, you just wait.”

We said so long to my mother and headed to one of the better steak houses in town in Larry’s car. And of course, when we walked in I got looked at, as I was dressed a little differently than anyone else. All the servers were dressed as cowboys or cowgirls. Talk about feeling out of place.

As we ordered, I didn’t order a big steak like I usually would. I ordered a smaller one, with a salad. I’ve got to keep my girlish figure. Amy and Kelly ordered the same way. Larry, on the other hand, got a large steak with the works.

When our server came around to refill our drinks, she looked at me and asked, “Miss. Can I ask you something?”

“That depends.”, I replied.

“I hope I'm not too forward. But four of us here are history majors at the university and last quarter we studied the natives of North America. And we were wondering … wondering if you were a native?”

“No, you're not too forward. And yes I’m a native. I’m a member of the Navajo Nation.”

“Thank you. That is so cool. And we love your blouse and jewelry.”

“Thank you.”

And she walked away.

“Kai. That didn’t bother you. Did it,”, Kelly asked.

“No. Not at all. I’m proud of my Navajo heritage. And don’t mind answering questions. As long as they aren’t too personal.”

Then over dessert, Larry gave us the details about Dr. Whitmeyer’s apology. He said that right after Amy and I had left Dr. Whitmeyer had walked back into the lecture hall and sat in his place. When the current presentation ended, Dr. Whitmeyer asked if he could address the group again. Dr. Grunewald asked him why? And all he said was that he wanted to apologize.

Larry said that when Dr. Whitmeyer got to the podium that he mentioned seeing me in the building lobby and that he was going to apologize to me, and that I had told him that he didn’t need to apologize to me but to Larry and Dr. Grunewald. And he went on to explain how sorry he was for what had happened, and he took full responsibility.

Larry said that he accepted his apology and they shook hands, as did Dr. Grunewald.

Then Larry told us that the seminar went on just fine. And there was a question and answer period afterward. He was asked some questions about me, including if I was really a guy. Larry said he told them that when asked that question I always say, ‘It takes a lot of padding and a ton of makeup to put this girl together, but there’s still a boy under all of it.’

We had a little laugh over that, and I told them that it was true.

Amy looked at me, grinned, and said, “That’s only half true. There is some padding, but Tom can look like a girl without much makeup. Look at her, tonight she used very little makeup, and she’s beautiful.”

“I can believe that.”, Larry said. “But when she’s really made up, she looks like a million dollars. That wedding brochure was amazing. And I would have loved to have seen that fake wedding.”

“Fake wedding?”, Kelly asked.

Amy went on to tell Kelly about the fake wedding where I was the bride, and Amy was the groom. She thought that it was cute. And Amy said, that the next time that they were at the house that she’d show them the pictures.

Then Kelly asked, “But why wasn’t Larry there?”

I looked at Larry, and he said, “Well. You see … I didn’t know the truth about Tammy then. I knew about Tammy, but not that it was Tom. Everyone had been telling me that she was Tom’s cousin from out of town.”

“But you’d met her?”

“Yeah. A few of times. Once at the university. And a couple of times downtown. You were with me once.”

“I was?’

“You and I were going to a movie, you were in the restroom, and you found me talking to Amy, Maria, and Tammy at the lunch counter.”

“Oh yeah. I remember that.”

Kelly looked at Amy who was smiling, and asked, “What are you grinning at?"

“Oh. Nothing.”

“No. There’s something. What?”

“I was just remembering something.”

“Hmm.”

“Okay.”, Larry said. “I think I know what Amy's thinking and I guess that it’s time you know about this.”

“Know about what?”, Kelly asked.

“Promise me that you’ll hear me out.”

“Okay.”

Larry looked at Amy, and Amy said, “It’ll be okay.”

Larry took a deep breath, and said, “I took Tammy out on a date. Only once.”

“What!?”, Kelly said.

“You know how pretty she is, and at that time I didn’t know it was Tom. So I kept after her until she agreed on one date. And it was before you and I were together.”

“Go on.”

“Well, we went to a movie and stopped to get something to eat, and when we got back to her house, she … she kissed me.”

Kelly looked at me, then back at Larry.

“It was only to thank me for a nice time.”, Larry said.

“Really!”, Kelly said.

“When I finally figured out that Tammy was really Tom and the next time I saw Tom, I slugged him and put him on the floor. Amy and Tom talked me into sitting with them and talking. And after I learned about everything, and I mean everything, I thought it was funny. And Tom agreed to be the subject of my paper.”

“Hmm. And Amy you know all about this.”

“Yeah.”, Amy said.

Kelly sat there quietly for a minute, then she said, “You know. … This is funny. I know that neither Tom or Larry are homosexual or even lean that way.”

Looking at me, Kelly asked, “So Tammy went out with Larry. Why?”

“To see what it was like to date a guy.”, I replied.

“And Larry. Why would you want to go out with Tammy?”

“She a beautiful girl. What guy wouldn’t want to go out with her? And I knew a lot of guys wanted to ask her out, but were afraid to because of how pretty she is. So I took a shot, and she finally said yes.”

“If other guys were afraid to talk to her. Why did you think she’d say yes to you?”

“I had an in. I knew Tammy's cousin, Tom. Or so I thought. I also knew two of the girls that she hung with, Amy and Maria. So I thought it would be easy. But it wasn’t. She kept telling me that she had a boyfriend and wouldn’t go out with anyone else.”

“So why did she say yes?”

“I guess that’s my fault.”, Amy said. “I pushed Tammy to say yes.”

“You pushed her.”, Kelly asked. “Why?”

“So she could see what it was like to date a guy.”

“So Tammy. Did you like dating a guy.”

“It was okay.”, I replied. “Larry was a perfect gentleman and showed me a nice time.”

“So do you want to go out with other guys?”

“No. I don’t like guys that way.”

“So you're a lesbian?”

“Maybe.”

“Would you go out with me?”

“No.”

“Why not? Not your type?”

“You’re a great friend. But I’m in a committed relationship and so are you.”

“What if Amy and Larry weren’t in the picture?”

“Tammy probably wouldn’t exist as she does now.”

“Honestly?”

“Honestly. Amy helped bring out what was in me. My female spirit. Without her, it just wouldn’t have happened. When she was in Minnesota for those four years, Tammy was here with the help of my cousin Mary. But it just wasn’t the same as what Amy and I had. When Amy came back, Tammy blossomed again.”

“You know in sitting here and looking at you as Kai, who is also a beautiful girl, I can see how you fooled Larry as Tammy. And it’s funny.”

“So you don’t have a problem with it?”

“Not at all. As long as it happened before we were a couple, it’s fine. It’s just a small chapter in Larry’s life.”

I saw Larry relax, and I asked, “A little worried, Larry?”

“I had hoped that when Kelly found out about this that she would take it as she has.”, Larry replied. “I think it’s fine that she knows. In fact, I’m glad she knows. Now I don’t have any secrets from her.”

“Now Tammy or Kai.”, Kelly said. “You’re really a guy and kissed another guy. Why?”

“Kelly.”, Amy said. “Was he a boy then? Is he a boy right now?”

“I’m not sure.”

“I am. Tom's female spirit, right now, as it was the night of the date, is strong. In body he may be a boy, but, as you psychologists like to call it, his psyche was and is that of a girl. And I know that you see it too.”

“I do. I’m seeing a girl right now. And I also see one when I see Tammy.”

“So when Tammy thanked Larry for the date she did what any girl that wanted to show her appreciation would. She kissed him. I saw the kiss. Was I jealous? A little. But the kiss was a quick, thank you, kiss. Nothing more.”

“You know. I look at this as having a boyfriend, now my fiance, that dated a girl, that’s a friend, before we became a couple. So it’s no big deal.”

Looking at me, Kelly then said, “You know something, Kai. You are a complicated person. We’ve been talking about Tammy. But you’re Kai right now. And you’re answering for Tammy. It’s strange. You sure make life interesting.”

“That she does. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.”, Amy said.

Looking at Larry, I said, “Larry I didn’t know that you spoke to my parents when you were doing your research.”

“Ah.”, Larry said. “Yeah, I did.”

“Why?”

“I wanted to know about you from everyone that knew of your two spirits. And your parents were interesting.”

“So what did they tell you?”

“Your Mom had more information than your Dad did. Your Mom told me that she believed that you were special even when you were very young. Back then she couldn’t explain what she saw in you. But she wasn’t surprised when you asked her to help you dress as a girl when you were twelve. And she wasn’t even surprised when you continued to explore dressing as a girl.

“She explained that she had talked to Dr. Grunewald about you and that the doctor had told her about cross-dressers and to let you explore. And then when your grandmother was here for your wedding she learned more about the two spirit people. And that showed her what your curiosity really was.

“Your Dad said that he was amazed that he wasn’t upset when he found out that you were dressed as a girl the day of the accident, and that he accepted your additional dressing so readily. He said the two spirit thing took more thought, but after a short time, he even accepted that.

“They both see you as a son that can also be almost a daughter.”

“Thanks, Larry.”, I said.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

Oh. And don't forget the Kudo too.

up
292 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

first one in :)

Lee's picture

looks like I reared this just as it was posted.
I have reared all 40 chapter and reread up to 38 before the 2 new ones was add I like them all. I like all the stories that you have posted on this site as good as some that I have purchased on Aubidle.co.uk .

I no this has to come to a end at some time but I would like it to end as if it was a part of a novel trilogy so we can get some new stories and at some point we can get a book 2. you have spent a lot of time writing this and me and the over readers spent time in enjoying this stories, there can be a lot more story arcs based on the characters that Tommy has and will meet.

Lee

I am a male lolita.
So what is lolita fashion http://lolita-tips.tumblr.com/faq

Hi Lee,

Hi Lee,

You're right. All good things must come to an end. Or maybe just a temporary pause. I like my characters in this story very much, so it probably won't be goodbye, but just a so long. When will that happen? I really don't know yet.

Thank you for your nice comments.

Teddie

Trials and Tribulations

Another great chapter but I do wonder if Tammy opened herself up to more trouble speaking up where she did. I don't have the "chops" to comment on your writing. It is nice not to see form when it should be from or defiant instead of definite so your writing or proofreading is spot on. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks, Guest Reader. I'll

Thanks, Guest Reader. I'll pass your comment to my proofreader.

Teddie

You just might be right. But

You just might be right. But can they accept her? Remember this is 1965.

I have to agree with the

I have to agree with the comments regarding the continuation of these characters, Tommy/Tammy/Kai and Amy. Possibly including Larry and Kelly on occasions. There is so much to their lives that need exploring and telling about.
One thing I would be curious about is would any of their children be born two-spirited as well?
Thanks for the wonderful story you have presented us.

Interesting thought about

Interesting thought about children. Remember that they would be 1/8 Navajo. But who knows what the Great Spirit will do.

Awwww such...

This is such an amazing story, thank you for letting us follow along with everyone as they experience everything that they've gone though! I can only dream that my life was full of such amazing supportive people, but it is what it is.

So long Kai, Tammy, Amy and everyone else.

Sara

"So long Kai, Tammy, Amy and

"So long Kai, Tammy, Amy and everyone else."

They aren't going anywhere for a while yet.

Tommy, Tammy, Kai...

This was a good look in seeing Tammy, even when Kai is speaking for Tammy. Amy is so important to this story. I really like when other characters in a story are developed this well. It continues to take on a larger life of its own.
It would have been such an exception for a professor to come back and apologize. Some would criticize him for it; others would have thought more highly of him.
Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Hi Jessie C,

Hi Jessie C,

Yeah, academic types don't readily admit their errors when and if they know they made one. But remember it's Tammy talking to him. Tammy has a SPIRITual way about her.

Cool

thinking of the risk vs reward to persuade an influential professor to change his ignorant views during this time period, it was a courageous act. It's fiction, but the characters in the story are so well developed I can easily feel for these two soulmates. Another great chapter to read and wonder about.

I love my two characters also

I love my two characters also, Tommy/Tammy/Kai and Amy are just meant for each other.

Admit error=bigger man

Jamie Lee's picture

It takes a big man, or woman, to admit they've made an error or have been wrong. It takes a lot of courage to stand up before a large crowd, or one person, and make the admission of being wrong. More people will think more highly of the person after that act is completed.

And those who disagree with the act are likely not highly thought of to begin with. And are not as intelligent as they believe themselves to be.

It takes a good bond between to people for one the strike the other and still remain close friends, as Larry did to Tom after learning of Tammy's true identity. Tom had every right to tell Larry to take a hike, but their friendship was so strong that both made it through that revelation.

These two couples have formed a bond which is as strong as the bond Larry and Tom have, but not as strong as the bond between Amy and Tom/Tammy/Kai. It is a friendship which will do all four good in the years to come.

Others have feelings too.

ID for Tammy and Kai

dani4familyfun's picture

One of the things I have been puzzled about during this story is how has Tammy and Kai been able to get by so long without any ID (or at least the mention of it). I know that I have a 2018 Perspective, but Tammy has been driving Tom's car and Kai has been driving Tom's Grandmothers' car. And Tammy flew to New Mexico.

Dani4FamilyFun

Luckily the TSA didn't exist

Luckily the TSA didn't exist back then and you could almost take the whole house with you without paying high fees. And having flown in the '60s I don't remember any checking of IDs if you had a ticket you were on the plane. And Tammy/Kai is a safe driver, so no problems there. Yet. And the interaction between Kai and police have been with native officers, who will or should understand.

Teddie