Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 201

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 201


The Albuquerque Classic Car Club meeting.
The hogan moves right along.
Another project for Los Alamos, or is it?


I’d had some serious talks with both Dean Rutherford and Dr. Joe over my feelings on the new course for computer design. And I think that they finally see my point of view.

The construction of the hogan had taken off. In the past few days, it’s gone from nothing to a concrete pad. To the walls. To the beginning of the roof. The guys that work for Hosteen know their job.

Amy and I, with Charlie and Jackie’s help, had gotten the third garage door opener installed and all the wall hangings hung.

Dean Rutherford had called and told me that there was a car club meeting on Saturday and he wanted me to bring the ‘57 Chevy. But I figured that it would be interesting if we brought both the ‘57 Bel Air and the ‘53 Corvette. But, who was going to drive the Vet? Maybe Amy?

When Amy was home, I’d said, “I have a question for you.”

“So, ask.”, Amy replied.

“How would you like to drive the Corvette tonight?”

“What!?”

“How would you like to drive the Corvette tonight?”

“I know. I know. I heard you. But why!?”

“I thought it would be fun to take both the ‘57 Chevy and the Corvette to that car club meeting. And I know you don’t like driving stick.”

“But … But that car is irreplaceable.”

“Honey, stop worrying. You’re a good driver, and the park is only five miles from here, and it’s all back roads.”

“Oh, God. I don’t know.”

“We have time. Get changed. And we’ll take the Vet for a drive around the neighborhood.”

“Oh … Oh, okay.”

Amy changed clothes, and we walked out into the garage. I opened the garage door where the Corvette and ‘57 Chevy were parked, and said. “I’ll pull the ‘57 out, and then I’ll pull the Vet out and turn it around for you.”

“Are you sure about this?”, Amy said.

“Yes, honey, I’m sure.”

We walked over to the cars. Then I backed the ‘57 out of the garage and moved it over in front of one of the other doors. Then Amy helped me take the cover off of the Vet and put the convertible top down. Then I backed the Vet out of the garage and turned it around.

I got out of the Vet, walked over to Amy, and handed her the keys. Amy reluctantly took them. Then I walked back over and held the driver's door open for her, and said, “Come on love.”

Amy walked over and slowly got in. I closed the door and walked over to the passenger's side and got in. I fastened my seat belt. Amy looked at me, then fastened her seat belt. She put the key in the ignition, looked at me, and said, “Are you sure about this?”

“Yes, I am.”, I replied.

Amy started the car.

I reminded her that it was an automatic, and to go easy on the gas when starting from a stop. She looked down at the gear shift, put her hand on it, and put it into drive. She gave it a little gas, and we started down the driveway. No, she didn’t spin the tires.

We drove around the area for a little while. At first, it was somewhat slow, but as Amy’s confidence grew, we started going faster. After about ten minutes, we pulled back into the driveway, and I said, “Well?”

“Well.”, Amy said. “That was fun.”

“I told you that you could do it.”

“It was just so strange sitting that close to the ground.”

“It’s a sports car.”

We went back into the house and finished dressing. All we had to do was our hair, and add some jewelry. Not knowing who was going to be there, we didn’t go too fancy. Both of us put our hair in ponytails. We both wore a bracelet or two, and a few rings. I wore the hair-pipe bone choker with the silver medallion and silver feather. Amy chose to wear only her ever-present meteorite necklace.

The meeting was only five miles away, so at about a quarter to six, Amy helped me put the top down on the ‘57 Chevy. Then she followed me to the city park where the meeting was going to be. As we pulled in, I noticed that they had the parking lot blocked off in such a way that you could only park in every other parking space. I thought, ‘Interesting idea. That gives you room to walk around and get a good look at the cars.’

We found two parking spots side by side with one space between us. As I got out of the ‘57, I noticed many nice cars in the parking lot and most of them had a sign describing the car — everything from Fords to Chevys to Chryslers, and some foreign cars. There was even a Ford Model T, one or two Corvettes, and a very nice Thunderbird.

We saw a large pavilion with a banner hanging from it that said, ‘Albuquerque Classic Car Club.’ As we walked towards the pavilion, we spotted a registration table, and we walked over to it. The man sitting there looked at us, and said, “I know that you’re not members. Are you guests of someone?”

“Yes.”, I said. “Dr. Rutherford asked us to come.”

“Oh, yes, Dr. Rutherford. And our names are?”

“I’m Kai Nez and she’s Ajie Nez.”

He looked at a list, and said, “Yes, here you are. But, it says that one of you is Amy Young.”

“Yes, that is my cousin’s name. But the Navajo people call her Ajie Nez, so that’s what we use.”

Then he made out a couple of guest name tags for us and wrote our names on a list. Then he asked, “I suppose that you didn’t bring a classic car with you.”

I looked at Ajie, smiled, looked back at the man, and said, “I think that they’re classics. Don’t you Ajie?”

“I think they are.”, Ajie said.

“What did you bring?”

“A red and white ‘57 Chevy Bel Air convertible.”, I replied.

As he wrote that down, he said, “That’s a very nice car.”

“Thank you. And we also brought a ‘53 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster.”

He looked up at me, and said, “Did I hear you right. Did you say a 1953 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster?”

“Yes.”

“Is this the one that Dr. Rutherford has pictures of?”

“Yes.”

“There goes first place.”

“First place?”

“Yes, we always have an award for the best car at the meeting.”

“Oh, I didn’t know.”

“Yes, and that Corvette is almost a shoo-in. You brought two nice cars. And I’ll tell you a little secret, the guy that almost always wins that prize is going to be surprised.”

“Is that a problem?”

“No. He’ll just be surprised. Enjoy the meeting and the food.”

“Thank you. We will.”

As Ajie and I walked away from the registration table, I said, ”Dean Rutherford never mentioned anything about a contest.”

“I think that it’s a fun thing that they do, and not a real contest.”, Ajie replied.

“Some of these guys take this very seriously.”

“That doesn’t surprise me. Maybe we’ll bust their bubble and win it.”

“Why would we burst their bubble?”

“We’re girls.”

“Oh.”

As we walked, I noticed that we were drawing some attention. I guess we would, as there weren’t many, if any, younger women here. There were a few older women, that may be members or wives of members. Ajie and I are used to this sort of thing and have learned to ignore it.

Then we walked up to where the food was, and I saw someone. I said, “Ajie look over by the grill, is that who I think it is?”

Ajie looked and said, “Yes, I think it is.”

We walked over to a group that was talking among themselves, and when I got a chance, I said, “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, Naat'áanii Clah. - (Good evening, Chief Clah.)”

(Remember Chief Clah is the War Chief or the Attorney General of the Navajo Nation.)

He turned with a surprised look, stared at us for a few seconds, then said, “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, Kai dóó Ajie. What are you two doing here?”

“Dr. Rutherford invited us.”

“This is a real surprise.”

“I’m surprised to see you here too.”

“I collect more than Navajo silver.”

“So, what else do you have?”

“I have a 1956 Corvette and a 1927 Model T Ford.”

I just smiled. Then we heard on the public address system, “Ladies and gentlemen I’ve just learned that we have a real classic with us tonight, and they only made three-hundred of these. We have a 1953 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster with us.”

Chief Clah then said, “Who brought that!”

I just smiled. The chief saw me smile and said, “You couldn’t have brought that?”

I continued to smile and just nodded yes.

“Where did you get a car like that?”, Chief Clah asked.

“It’s my fathers. He shipped it out here when I had my ‘57 Bel Air convertible shipped out.”, I replied.

“This I have to see.”

“Come with us.”

Ajie, the Chief, and I, followed by everyone that was in the group that the chief had been talking with, walked out into the parking lot. We walked up to where the two cars were parked, and I noticed that the cars now had a hand-lettered sign on the windshield saying what they were. Of course, I had to open the hood so everyone could see the engine.

Someone asked, “That’s a 235.5 cubic inch straight 6. Isn’t it?”

“Yes.”, I replied. “With a two-speed automatic transmission.”

“Is it all original?”, someone else asked.

“Yes. Except for the seat belts.”

Then someone else asked, “Is it true that the only made three-hundred of these?”

“That’s what I’ve been told, and the serial number on this one ends in 297.”

Then Chief Clah asked, “You don’t have that ‘57 Bel Air here too. Do you?”

“It’s right behind you, Chief.”, I said.

Everyone turned and looked at the ‘57. And Chief Clah said, “And knowing you, Kai. This car is stock and all original.”

“You’re right, Chief.”

Then we walked over to the ‘57, and I opened the hood. Then I saw Dean Rutherford walk up, and he said, “Miss Nez, I see that you made it.”

“Yes, Dean, we did.”, I replied. “And we brought both cars.”

“So I see. That Corvette is gorgeous.”

“I’ll tell my dad that you said that.”

We had fun at the car club meeting, and the food was excellent. And we were invited to come back. And we took home a nice plaque that was engraved with ‘Best car at the Albuquerque Classic Car Club monthly meeting, May 25, 1968.’

We never did find out who usually won the trophy at the meeting.

When Ajie and I were back home, and as we were getting out of the cars, Ajie said, “Love, I’m glad you talked me into driving the Corvette. It was fun.”

“Told you so.”

Ajie helped me with the usual routine after the cars have been driven. They’re dusted off, the tops are put up, and the cover put on the Corvette. Then as we walked into the house, with Ajie carrying the plaque, she asked, “Where are we going to put this?”

“I’d say on the fireplace mantel.”, I replied. 

I don’t know where Amy gets her energy. But after working two shifts at the ER without getting more than six hours of sleep between them and going to the car club meeting, she gave me an excellent foot massage.

Sunday morning when I woke up, it was about nine, and Amy was cuddled up to me and sound asleep. I carefully worked my way out of bed, trying not to wake her, and I think I accomplished it. I grabbed my clothes and went to the other bathroom to take a shower.

After dressing, I headed to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of juice. Then I went out through the front courtyard and walked out to the street. We’d arranged to have the daily Albuquerque Journal delivered, but the Navajo Times was coming by mail, so it was a couple of days behind, but still interesting reading. So, I checked the mail and yesterday’s mail was there along with a Navajo Times. And, the Journal was in the paper box.

I walked back to the house and decided to leave the gate in the front courtyard’s wall open. Actually, I don’t know why we lock it. There’s no doorbell out here. So, I think we’ll just close it at night, and leave it open during the day.

I went into the house and Amy still wasn’t up. I tossed the mail on the breakfast counter and took the papers out to the back courtyard. I sat and went through both newspapers.

After I’d finished the papers, I sat there listening to the sounds, the sounds of nature. It’s nice not to be hearing the noises of a city.

I finally saw Amy wander out through the bedroom’s sliding glass door with just her robe on. I said, “Good morning, sleepyhead.”

“What time is it?”, Amy asked.

“I don’t know.”

Amy turned and looked at the clock in the bedroom, and she said, “It’s almost Noon. Why did you let me sleep so long?”

“Because you needed it.”

“Have you had breakfast?”

“You mean lunch.”

“I guess it is lunchtime.”

“Get dressed, and I’ll take you out to lunch.”

Amy and I found a nice little restaurant. It was busy, and that’s a good sign. And we had a nice lunch. Then we visited the Eagles. Boy, are those Eaglets getting big. Then we spent the rest of Sunday doing very little. We did call our parents, and I told my dad about taking the Corvette to the car club meeting and winning the plaque. My father had a good laugh over it.

Monday after teaching my classes, I went to the office. Dr. Joe was there, and he asked how my weekend was, and I told him about the car club meeting and taking the two cars to it and the Vet winning the plaque. He thought it was funny.

Then I gave him the four books and their instructor's guides and told him how I felt about the books. Then as I was heading for the faculty parking lot, I stopped by the bookstore, and none of the other books had come in. I just headed home.

As I pulled into the driveway, I noticed that the pile of adobe dirt was gone, as was some of the equipment. After I’d changed out of my teaching clothes, I walked out back to see what was going on with the hogan. I smiled when I saw the dirt-covered roof, but I was surprised to see how far the chinking of the logs had progressed. Then I noticed that they’d also installed a door, a red door.

I walked over to the hogan and looked inside. I saw Hosteen up on a ladder, and it looked like he was putting a hook into one of the ceiling logs. Then I saw something else. There were already six kerosene lanterns hanging from the ceiling on a thin rope. Each of those ropes ran to a pulley attached high up on the wall. And then down to a cleat on the wall. The lanterns looked to be laid out in about a ten or twelve-foot diameter circle around the smoke hole. And it looked like Hosteen was working on a seventh one, and there was room for an eight. I looked at the two kerosene lanterns that were still on the floor, and they had reflectors that would help direct the light downwards.

Hosteen saw me and asked, “What do you think, Kai?”

“I love it.”, I replied.

“There’ll be eight when we’ve finished. I was thinking of attaching the lanterns to an old wagon wheel and hanging that from the ceiling, but it would be directly over the fire pit. And I figured that wouldn’t be good. So I came up with this.”

“That’s great. But, it’s strange to see the owner of a company getting his hands dirty.”

“I like to keep my fingers into the work. I let my brother do most of the paperwork.”

“Let me know when you have a minute. I have a question about something in the house.”

“Let me finish this one then I’ll be in.”

“Okay, I’ll be in the back courtyard.”

“Okay.”

A little later, I was sitting and reading the Navajo Times, when Hosteen walked in through the gate, and said, “What’s the question, Kai?”

I took him to the laundry room, and showed him the telephone box, and asked him about the conduit with the pull wire in it and where it went. He smiled and told me that his father was good at planning ahead. Then he took me back out to the courtyard and to the corner behind where we had the two couches. He removed a few inches of the stone covering and revealed a plastic electrical box. Then using a screwdriver from his tool belt, he removed the four screws from the cover. And as he did, he told me that the box was waterproof. And there was a gasket between the cover and the box.

He removed the cover and showed me where the conduit from the laundry room ended up. And you could see the pull wire. There was another conduit running into the box, and it also had a pull wire. So I asked him where that went. Hosteen pointed directly across the courtyard to the opposite corner of the courtyard and said, “Over there.”

Then I said, “Your father did plan ahead.”

“Yeah.”, Hosteen said. “He figured that at some point that they might want to put a telephone out here.”

“From looking at the setup, it wouldn’t take much to do either.”

“Let me know if you need any help.”

“I will. But I shouldn’t.”

“You sure?”

“Hosteen, remember I’m an electrical engineer. Pulling wire through a conduit, installing a waterproof telephone jack, and making a few connections, is an easy thing.”

“I forgot about you.”

I just smiled.

When Amy was home, I took her out to the hogan, and she loved the red door. Then she saw what Hosteen had done with the kerosene lanterns, and she loved that too. Amy asked, “How long will one of those lamps burn?”

“I think that it’s somewhere around ten hours.”, I replied.

“So, all they have to do now is finish filling the cracks between the logs and do the floor.”

“That’s called chinking. And yes, then they can do the floor.”

Tuesday was the usual stuff, classes and such. Then I stopped in my office. As I walked in, Dr. Joe said, “Good morning, Kai.”

“Yá’át’ééh abiní – (Good morning), Dr. Joe. You sound like you’re in a good mood.”, I said.

“Yeah. It looks like Los Alamos is going to have something for us.”

“Oh?”

“We have a meeting with them on Thursday at one.”

“That’s doable.”

“So, how’s the hogan coming?”

“The guys doing the building amaze me. I know that there’s not much interior work to a hogan. Like interior walls, plumbing, wiring, and stuff like that. But these guys work quickly, the only things that’s left to do is the tile work around the fire pit, the floor, and some minor things.”

“So, it’ll be done today!?”

“Probably not. Hosteen told me that that it’ll probably be Thursday. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Friday.”

“That’ll be fun.”

“It will. Amy’s excited about it. But we have to have Naainish come and visit.”

“Why, Naainish?”

“To do another House Blessing.”

“For a hogan?”, Dr. Joe asked.

“Remember that a hogan is a sacred home for the Diné (Navajo).”, I replied.

“I understand. When is that going to happen?”

“Maybe this weekend. Has the book store called?”

“Not today.”

“I’ll stop in and check on my way home.”

“I wasn’t going to tell you this. But, I’ve got feelers out for a text for this class.”

“Feelers?”

“Yes, to some of the schools that I know are teaching a course like we’re looking at.”

“Like who?”

“Some of the big state schools and a couple of the bigger private schools.”

“Who?”, I asked.

“M.I.T., Penn State, Cal Tech, and a few others.”, Dr. Joe replied.

“Want this to happen, don’t you?”

“Don’t you?”

“Of course.”

“Me too.”

“What did you ask them?”

“Just if they were teaching a class in computer design what text were they using.”

“Okay.”, I said. “I’m going to the book store and then head home.

“See you tomorrow, Dr. Joe.”

“Hágoónee', Kai. - (See you later, Kai.)”

“Hágoónee', Dr. Joe.”

So on the way to the faculty parking lot, I swung by the student union and the book store. And, they did have one other book in. So I took it and headed home. As I drove up the driveway at a little after one, I saw four pickup trucks.

As I usually do, I changed out of my teaching clothes into something comfortable. Then I threw together some lunch. Amy was working a split shift from Noon till eight.

After I finished eating, I went out to the backyard and looked at the hogan. I really did like what I was seeing. As I walked up the sidewalk to the door, which was open, I heard a saw cut wood.

I walked into the hogan and looked around. I saw the eight lanterns hanging from the ceiling. But I noticed something different from yesterday. Each lantern now had a six-inch piece of chain between the lantern and the rope.

Then I saw what they'd done with the floor. Around the fire pit was, for lack of a better word was a hearth made of black tile, and they had done it in an octagon shape just like the fire pit and the hogan itself. Then there was a thin strip of red oak around the hearth. Then the red oak flooring, and they were also laying that in an octagon shape.

I sensed someone walk up behind me, I turned and looked, and it was Hosteen. He said, “Yá’át’ééh, Kai. What do you think?”

“Yá’át’ééh, Hosteen.”, I replied. “I really like what you’re doing.”

“We’ll finish the floor tomorrow. Then we’ll clean it, and put a finish on it. And you’ll need to stay off of it for twenty-four hours, and then it’ll be done.”

“Wow. I like how you guys work.”

“Thanks. We don’t build that many of these and the guys like doing them.”

“Well, they do great work.”

“Thanks.”, Hosteen said. Then as he handed me a key, he said, “Here’s a key to the door, I’ll give you the other one tomorrow. If you come in here tonight, be sure that your shoes are clean. Then after tomorrow, it would be best to stay out of it until Friday to give the finish time to dry.”

“It’ll be fun trying to keep Ajie out of here.”, I replied. “She’s very excited about this. But, after tonight, I’ll keep her out.”

“Better you than me, Kai.”, Hosteen said with a smile.

I went back into the house and spent a short time looking at the book that I’d picked up at the book store. This one quickly went on to the no way list.

As Amy walked into the house at eight-thirty, she said, “Is it done?”

“Well hello to you too, my love.”, I replied.

“Sorry. Hi sweetheart.”

“That’s better. And, if you’re talking about the hogan, no, it’s not done. They still have some work to do on the floor tomorrow, and then we’ll have to wait until Friday to go into it.”

“Friday! Why?”

“The finish that they use takes twenty-four hours to dry.”

“But, if they do it tomorrow it should be okay by Thursday evening.”

“Listen, little girl, Hosteen said it would be better to wait until Friday to go in.”

“If I must.”

“You must.”

I’d Put together dinner for us, and it was almost ready. Amy wanted to see the hogan first, but I made her change out of her nurses uniform before we ate. After we ate, I took Amy out to the hogan and made her take her moccasins off before she went in.

She just loved what they’ve done. As we stood there, even though it was early, she said, “My Prince, this will make a wonderful hideaway from the King.”

“It will, my Queen. The King will never find us here. But we will need a comfortable bed for our trysts.”

“We will my love. But now take me to my bedchamber.”

“Your wish is my command, my Queen.”

I led the Queen to her bedchamber, and … 

Nothing much happened on Wednesday. On Thursday we were having our meeting with the people from Los Alamos. So it was dress up time. The fancy blouse, long skirt, wrap moccasins, and hair done in two braids. Then it was some jewelry, a bracelet, a couple of rings, plus the silver round earrings with the small gold feathers. Also, a few things went into my purse.

Amy was going to be home all day, so as I was saying so long to her, I said, “Remember, love, stay out of the hogan.”

“Oh, if I have to.”, Amy replied.

“You have to. Let’s leave it alone until Friday, and by then we’ll be sure the finish on the floor is dry.”

“Okay. I’ll behave.”

“Good girl.”

We exchanged a beautiful kiss, and I headed to the university. I taught my two classes and sat through my grad level class, and then I went to Dr. Joe’s office. Oh, yeah, it's my office too. After we greeted each other, we went to grab lunch before the meeting. After lunch, Dr. Joe and I were heading back to the engineering building, and we ran into Charlie. We exchanged greetings, then I said, “Why don’t you and Jackie come up for dinner on Saturday, and we’ll play some cards.”

“Sounds good.”, Charlie replied. “I’ll check with Jackie and have her call Amy.”

“Good. We’ve got a meeting, so I’ll see you later.”

“Later, Kai.”

Charlie went on his way, and Dr. Joe and I went to our office. I dug the choker, That my grandfathers made, out of my purse and put it on, then I took off the simple braided leather headband and replaced it with the one with the Eagle feather.

Just before one, Dr. Joe and I walked into the Dean’s office, Sara saw us, and said, “Hello, Kai, Dr. Oshie. They’re in the conference room and are expecting you. Go on back.”

“Thanks, Sara.”, I said.

Dr. Joe and I walked back to the conference room, and Dr. Joe knocked. We heard a, “Come.”

Dr. Joe opened the door for me, and we walked in. Of course, Dean Rutherford was here, and so was Dr. Fontheim and Dr. Höllmann from the Los Alamos National Laboratory. We greeted each other, and then Dr. Fontheim said, “Miss Nez. Dr. Oshie. We have a challenge for you.”

“A challenge?”, I asked.

“Yes, Miss Nez. We have something a little different for you this time. And this involves National security. So before we go any further, we need you to sign your nondisclosure agreement.”

Dr. Fontheim then took three binders out of his briefcase and set one in front of each of us, then said, “The nondisclosure agreement that we need you to sign is attached to the binder. And, a new paragraph has been added. A paragraph that explains the National security consequences of this project.”

I looked at Dr. Fontheim and said, “Dr. Fontheim, do we have the security clearance necessary for this?”

“You do now.”, Dr. Höllmann said. “At least Miss Nez and Dr. Oshie do. I hope you don’t mind Dean Rutherford. But it took a little doing to increase just Miss Nez and Dr. Oshie’s clearance to Secret. And, Dean Rutherford your binder is missing some of the information that Miss Nez and Dr. Oshie have. And, Miss Nez and Dr. Oshie the parts that you have and Dean Rutherford doesn’t have been marked, ‘Secret.’”

I looked at Dr. Joe, then at Dr. Höllmann, and asked, “After all that I’ve been through with your security people they’re willing to give me a Secret clearance.”

“Miss Nez, all I can say is that it came from a little higher up.”

I sat back in my chair and just looked at Dr. Höllmann.

“Miss Nez, is there a problem?”, Dr. Höllmann asked.

“No.”, I replied. “I was just wondering if it takes a Secret clearance to work on this why your people aren’t doing it. Why no one at Los Alamos can solve this?”

“Miss Nez, when you read the cover page that you and Dr. Oshie have you will get an idea. Sign the non-disclosure agreement, and you can read it.”

I picked up the pen that was on the table and signed my agreement. Then I handed the pen to Dr. Joe, and he signed his, and Dean Rutherford signed his.

Then I opened my binder and read the cover page, which was stamped with a red ‘Secret’. When I finished, I looked at Dr. Joe, and he was still reading. When he finished, he looked at me and said, “What do you think, Kai.”

“Now I see why it’s secret.”, I said. “And why we’ve been given that clearance. I want to know why us?”

“Miss Nez.”, Dr. Höllmann said. “Someone found out how you defend what you are given to protect, and they also know of your knowledge of electronics.”

“Even though I have my little problem?”

“Little problem?”

“The body of a boy and the spirit of a girl.”

“Miss Nez, that’s not as big of a problem as you might think. Other things are bigger problems, and you don't have those problems.”

“I see.”

“Plus what we’ve seen by interacting with you these past few months has opened our eyes to many things about you and your people.”, Dr. Fontheim added. “We don’t expect you and Dr. Oshie to read and agree to the project today. But we would like an answer by five o’clock on Monday afternoon. Then if you agree to it, we will have the things that you need to proceed delivered to Dean Rutherford later next week.”

I looked at Dr. Joe and said, “Well, it looks like we have some reading to do, Dr. Joe.”

“I think you’re right, Kai.”

The five of us walked to the front office, and we said so long to Dr. Fontheim and Dr. Höllmann. After they left, I asked the Dean, “Dean Rutherford, who always wins the plaque for the best car at the car club meeting?”

He looked at me, smiled, and said, “He doesn’t win it all the time, but he wins it a lot.”

“Who?”

“Atsa Clah.”

“Ah … Atsa Clah!”

“Yes. Is something wrong, Miss Nez?”

“No, it’s just that I know Atsa Clah. But I know him as the War Chief of the Navajo Nation.”

“War Chief! How well do you know him?”

“We know him very well. The title War Chief comes with his position as the Attorney General for the Navajo Nation.”

“Did you see his 1956 Corvette?”

“Yes, and it’s very nice.”

“Until you showed up with that ‘53 Corvette it was the nicest Corvette that any of us have seen. But your ‘53 was much nicer.”

Dr. Joe and I walked back to our office, and as we walked in, Dr. Joe said, “Messing with the War Chief now. Huh, Kai.”

“Unknowingly, yes. But I don’t think it’s any big thing.”

“We’ll see.”

When we were back at the office, Dr. Joe locked the door, then he and I sat down and started reading the information that was in our binders. There were several places on the first few pages marked as ‘Secret.’

After reading those pages, I said, “Dr. Joe, now I see why they didn’t want to do this even at Los Alamos.”

“I know.”, Dr. Joe said. “And I see why the fewer people that know, the better.”

“Yeah, but the people that want this are probably one of the most clandestine organization that there is. And they need our help?”

“I figure that this is something that has to be kept very quiet and that they moved it out of any place that is known as a place that works on things like this, like Los Alamos, Raytheon, Sandia National Laboratories, and others.”

“But don’t people know we work on things for Los Alamos?”

“Yes, but they think we just do things like what we did for the Apollo project.”

“So, we’re under the radar.”

“Yes.”

“Interesting thought, Dr. Joe.”

We both read until five o’clock, then locked our binders in the fireproof file cabinet, locked up the office, and walked together to the faculty parking lot. And as we were saying so long, Dr. Joe said, “They’re installing an alarm system in the office next week.”

“From what I’ve read so far on this project that might be a good idea.”, I replied.

“I think it is.”

“And seeing who’s the driving force behind this project, we need to be extra careful.”

“I think you’re right there too, Kai. I’ll See you tomorrow.”

“Hágoónee', Dr. Joe.”

Twenty minutes later, I pulled into the garage at home. Closed the overhead door, and went inside. As I walked through the big room to our bedroom, I didn’t see Amy, but I could smell something wonderful cooking for dinner. I went to our bedroom and changed out of my teaching clothes. Then I looked out the sliding glass door and saw Amy sitting on the couch in the courtyard. I walked out and sat next to her and received a beautiful kiss. Then Amy asked, “How was your day?”

“Interesting.”, I replied.

“How so?”

“Los Alamos presented us with a new project. And, Dr. Joe and I now have a secret clearance.”

“Secret! How?”, Amy asked.

“Well.”, I replied. “Dr. Höllmann told us that it came from higher up than Los Alamos’s security department after someone found out about my knowledge of electronics and how I protect the projects that we were given.”

“And that someone higher up doesn’t care about you being a two spirit person?”

“No. In fact, they told me that it isn’t a big problem.”

“That’s good.”

“They also told me that by interacting with me that they’ve learned a lot about the Navajo people and me.”

“I can believe that. I’m not going to ask you about the project because I know you can’t tell me.”

“You’re right. Did Jackie call you?”

“Yes, they’re coming up on Saturday for lunch. Then we’re going rug shopping.”

“So, we’re going to Taos on Saturday?”, I asked.

“Uh huh.”, Amy replied.

“Are they staying for dinner?”

“Of course and maybe overnight.”

“Not in the hogan?”

“No.”, Amy replied. “As you’ve said, we need to get Naainish here first. Plus I want us to be the first to spend a night in it.”

“I’d better try and get ahold of Naainish.”

“Do that after dinner, which should be ready.”

After dinner, instead of trying to find Naainish, Amy and I cuddled together out in the courtyard with a small fire in the fire pit, enjoying the evening, and waiting for the twilight to diminish so that we could stargaze. Then the phone rang. I went into the bedroom and answered the phone, “Hello.”

I heard Naainish say, “Yá’át’ééh, Kai Nez.”

“Yá’át’ééh, Naainish. How are you?”

“I’m fine. And I know that you have a hogan and that we need to do the House Blessing Ceremony.”

“Yes, we do. When can we do it?”

“The next full Moon would be best, but that isn’t until June tenth.”

“Could we do it this weekend?”, I asked.

“Yes, Saturday night would be good.”, Naainish replied. “Ajie is in a hurry to stay in it. Isn’t she?”

“Of course she is. And we’re planning on having friends here that evening.”

“That won’t be a problem. You, me, and Ajie will be in the hogan. And they can stay in the house. And you know that it won’t take that long.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem. Is there anything that we need to do.”

“Take some ashes from the fire pit on your courtyard and place them in the fire pit in the hogan, then lay a fire in the fire pit. And I’ll see you before Sundown.”

“I’ll do that Naainish.”, I replied.

“I may bring another medicine man with me.”, Naainish said.

“That shouldn’t be a problem, Naainish.”

“Good. Hágoónee', Kai Nez. - (See you later, Kai Nez.)”

“Hágoónee', Naainish.”

And we hung up. I walked back out to the courtyard. Amy looked at me and asked, “Who was that?”

“Naainish.”, I replied. “Were doing the House Blessing Ceremony on Saturday evening at eight.”

“Charlie and Jackie will be here.”

“He said that wouldn’t be a problem.”

“Good.”

“And, he may be bringing another medicine man with him.”

“Did he say who?”, Amy asked.

“No.”, I replied.

“How did Naainish know about the hogan?”

“He didn’t say, and I didn’t ask.”

We sat there cuddled together and watched as the stars began to appear as the sky got darker.

Friday after my classes, I went to the student union, grabbed some lunch, and went to my office prepared to do some serious reading. But, on the way, I stopped at the book store, and the rest of the books were in. So there’s more reading to do. But, the books can wait until Sunday.

When I was finally at the office, Dr. Joe wasn’t there. But there was a note telling me that the other books were in. Already handled.

I set everything on the work table, locked the door, and retrieved my binder from the file cabinet. I then sat read and ate my lunch.

Two hours later, I heard a key in the door, I looked up as Dr. Joe walked in, and I said, “Good afternoon, Dr. Joe.”

“Hello, Kai. I see that you’re hard at it.”

“That I am. And it’s some heavy reading.”

“I know. I got started on it this morning.”

“Did you see my note on the books?”, Dr. Joe asked.

“Yes, I’ve picked them up already. And I’ll take a look at them on Sunday.”

Dr. Joe got his binder out of the file cabinet and started reading.

We read until about five and then called it a day. As we were saying so long, I said, “I’ve read enough that I think that I have a good idea of what’s needed and I’ll have the weekend to think on it.”

“Me too.”, Dr. Joe said. “And I’m leaning towards doing it.”

“I am too. It sounds like there is a serious need for this.”

I also think we need to be careful where we talk about it.”

“I agree.”

When I was home, I received a very warm welcome from Amy. Then she asked. “Can we go into the hogan?”

I handed her my keys, showed her which key opens the hogan’s door, and said, “There you go.”

She smiled, I grabbed a flashlight, and we headed for the back courtyard. We went through the gate, up the walk, and Amy unlocked the red door. She opened the door, and I said, “Take off your moccasins.”

We both took off our moccasins and left them outside the door. Then we walked in. I turned the flashlight on and handed it to her.

Amy looked around, and I could tell that she was happy. She had a big smile on her face. Then she said, “This is amazing. I love how they did the floor in an octagon pattern. And the hearth around the fire pit is done the same way. Plus eight lanterns are hanging from the ceiling.”

And I received a fantastic kiss right then and there.

Soon after we were back in the house, the doorbell rang. Amy and I walked to the front door, and I opened it. It was Hosteen. I smiled and said, “Yá’át’ééh. T'áá shoodí wóshde´e´’, Hosteen. - (It is good. Please come in, Hosteen.)”

“Yá’át’ééh, you two.”, Hosteen said. “Just for a minute. I wanted to bring over the other key for the hogan.” And Hosteen handed me the key.

Amy then said, “Hosteen, you did a wonderful job on the hogan.”

“Thank you, Amy.”

“I like it better than the one you did for Uncle Gaagii.”

“And, she loved that one.”, I said.

“Is Naainish going to visit?” Hosteen asked.

“Yes, he’s coming Saturday night.”

“Good. It needs to be blessed.”

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, I know that I've been saying that you can log in as 'Guest Reader' to leave comments and you can. But, if you want to leave Kudos, once 'Guest Reader' has left a Kudo you can't use it again. The best way is to have your own Log In and its free. But, donations do help keep this site up. And, don't forget:

Authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

AttachmentSize
Image icon cleat.jpg73.74 KB
Image icon Lantern.jpg59.08 KB
Image icon hogan-floor.jpg54.58 KB
up
279 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I just realized..

NoraAdrienne's picture

why I know the name Hosteen. Andre Norton's book and the lead character is Hosteen Storm a Navaho Beast Master. It's a three book series if I remember correctly so if you're into classic sci fi check out the series. I own 56 of her books in both hard cover and paperback.

New project

Lauren5158's picture

"...the people that want this are probably one of the most clandestine organization that there is..." Hmm... Clandestine organization? Could it be the CIA? Could it be used by them in the VietNam war? Doesn't the University have an agreement that they woud not work on anything that would support the war? Just wondering?

Lauren

Through your mind, you can survive.
But through your heart, you come alive!

Yes, the university has an

Yes, the university has an agreement that nothing to do with the military will be worked on, And Kai has said that if she ever finds out what any research she's working on or has worked on goes to the wat effort that she'll just walk away from all research at the university. And I think that, so far, Kai sees that this project isn't military.

Thanks

Another fun read.

----------
Jenna

Thanks, Jenna

Thanks, Jenna

The CIA crossed my mind, too.

Monique S's picture

But as Teddie said, Kai was ery straght and explicit towards thee Los Aamos people as to anything to dowith the war In Nam or any other, for that matter. So chances are slim for it being the CIA. The President's communications perhaps?

Anyway, inaugurating the hogan is next, so I am lookig forward to that. Naainish seems to have eyes and ears everywhere as well as a special connection to Kai and Ajie so no surprise there.

Lovely as allways, Teddie, cuddles,
Monique.

Monique S

The CIA is a possibility. So

The CIA is a possibility. So, is the NSA, but they're military.

Yes, Naainish does seem to know all.

Thanks, Monique.

Cuddles back at you.

Very

Patrice_Blu's picture

Very well done, thoroughly enjoyable

I am Me, a crazed soiled senior dame

I'm thinking cold war, maybe

I'm thinking cold war, maybe communications between the president and the Kremlin for emergency communications in case things go south, to prevent WWIII

That's a possibility. We may

That's a possibility. We may eventually find out, but it is 'Secret.'

Dates?

Teek's picture

Curiosity Question: What is up with the dates. This is new, and new leads to questions. I can accept the date put in, but in one spot you put in a date with nothing on that day, Why? Even more curious is the number after the date. What is the meaning of this number?

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

At a guess

This is a bit of a guess, and I'm basing off of what I might do myself.
Those are possibly something he does while writing as a type of author note. It's a way of keeping track of the timeline within his story, and the numbers are a day count from when he started the tale that would match up with the story's timeline.
I am guessing he usually removes them before posting the story but forgot this time around.

- Leona

Dumb old people. I use them

Dumb old people. I use them when I'm writing to try and keep the timeline straight. And I forgot to remove them before I published the chapter.
They're gone.

Trials and tribulations

Thank for another great chapter. Now I'm wondering about the government agency. If it wasn't so clandestine I would have considered the secret service even though that would be way out of left field. The FBI isn't military and is only in the USA and didn't have the unfriendly image it got later in the sixties and seventies. I guess I'll just have to wait and see with everyone else.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

So I have to wonder

what the next project is about.

Well, Wendy Jean, I think we

Well, Wendy Jean, I think we're going to have to wait and see.