Quoth the Raven Chapter 2 Home Coming

Printer-friendly version
Chapter 2: Home Coming

jenken

It was the last week of February when Jenken was released from the hospital. The doctors cautioned Jane to be vigilant. Although Jenken seemed to be doing well with little noticeable affects of the pre-natal brain injury, seizures were always a possibility. Also, due to his premature birth his immune system might be compromised so they were cautioned be sure to keep him indoors and away from sick people until he grew stronger.

Since Jane had maintained her ‘A’ average, the school allowed Jane to rearrange her class schedule so she could leave early every day to care for the baby. A few caring teachers volunteered to tutor her if her grades slipped. Despite being a devoted and doting mother, Jane never needed the tutoring. She finished her sophomore school year with straight A’s.

By the time the school year ended Jenken was 6 months old weighed 11 pounds and measured 23 inches long. By this time he could roll over and make eye contact with people. He could hold objects and put them in his mouth. With that he developed the ability to chew. With a bit of assistance he could hold a cup and drink. While his eyes could still focus on separate objects they usually worked in tandem.

That summer JJ spent nearly as much time as Jane did with Jenken. By then Jenken was reacting to the people he knew in a decisively positive manner. JJ closely observed and noted Jenken’s peculiarities. Naturally, with what happened to his nephew, JJ did quite a bit of side research investigating split brain syndrome.

The vast majority of people with split brains had been done surgically when the subjects were in their twenties as a last resort to treat intractable epilepsy. Since the hemispherical split of those people happened when their brains were mature, the compensations they developed to overcome the loss of side to side brain communication was limited. Since it happened so early in Jenken’s development, no one had any idea how his much more flexible growing brain would cope. Jenken’s awareness of other people as well as his ability to use his eyes and same side hands independently made him an ideal candidate for study.

Those two things remained unusual about the baby. While his eyes functioned normally most of the time, it was quite evident they could operate independently. If one person was on one side of him and another was on the other side, his eyes would shift to look at the closest person so it looked like he was the exact opposite of cross eyed. What was even more unusual about his ability to look in different directions at the same time was that his same side hand could be directed by the eye on the same side. He could deftly reach out and grasp two toys being simultaneously offered independently by different people, one on one side and one on the other side. The other unusual trait was that he continued to sense people he couldn’t see. Jane and her family realized he could instantly pick up the moods of people. If someone was happy he’d be happy if someone was sad he’d be sad, if someone was upset he’d be upset. Jenken obviously was innately a powerful empath sensing anyone nearby. This in turn created issues when he was taken out in public. Being around a large number of unfamiliar people seemed to overload is empathetic abilities. When initially exposed to a large number of people Jenken would seem confused, which then swiftly changed to anxiety and fear. His normally happy demeanor would shift into that of an anxious cranky crying baby.

Jenken steadily grew and flourished. By the end of the summer he seemed to be a happy active baby although as could be expected smaller than a normal 9 month old baby. Jenken had grown to 15 pounds and was 25 inches long. For his age he exhibited dexterity at or even just beyond that expected for his age group which amazed the doctors due to his injured preemie birth. By this point in his life Jenken was able to creep and roll about and understood several words. Without assistance he could hold a cup or a spoon and could eat solid food. He was able to sit on his own. All in all he was a happy gurgling baby. Everyone was pleased that he was able to recognize the names of people and objects that were a part of his normal daily life. By this time the ‘J’ shaped scar on his forehead was plainly visible as the only none freckled area.

Since being released from the hospital, Jenken had been taken to the Doctor’s Office Building of the Reading Hospital every two weeks for a check-up. The doctors were amazed the tough little guy was doing so well. The physicians assumed that due to his injuries and premature birth Jenken would have a compromised immune system but to their surprise he never became ill. They also looked for signs of mental issues. Other than his small size he appeared extremely healthy. The doctors tested his empathetic abilities and his ability to use his eyes independently to see if the abilities faded or grew stronger with time. The doctors gave tentative approval for taking him into the Pub where watching him would be easier while his family worked.

With some misgiving about being away from her adorable child, Jane returned to school for her junior year. JJ also returned to his studies. June took care of her grandson which was the only reason Jane consented to going back to school. This meant Jenken began to spend a lot of time in the basement kitchen and office of the pub. Since most customers were in a good mood, the closeness of unfamiliar people did little to effect his mood. In time the little tyke came to accept being near a limited number of strangers. Every day Jane would rush home from school to be warmly greeted by her smiling baby. The girls who had helped Jane last year when she returned to school after Jenken was born had also been regular visitors over the summer, two even becoming part time waitresses at the Raven’s Perch. They simply adored Jenken and marveled at how small he was. Quite often they would come over after school simply to play with the adorable child.

Within 3 weeks of learning to pull himself up to stand on his own he began toddling about hanging onto objects or an offered hand. Everyone that visited loved to read to Jenken. He would listen to the stories with great intensity and followed along in the picture books pointing to the correct picture as the words were being read as well as beginning to say a few words. By pincering his thumb and forefinger, he could pick up small objects. By Halloween he had mastered using his feet to push himself along on a ride-on toy. By this point his anxiety and being around unfamiliar people was virtually gone and the dysfunction of his eyes also seemed to be improving. By his first birthday Jenken was 18 pounds and 28 inches long.

With a course load of eighteen credits a semester and still helping out in the family restaurant, JJ didn’t have much free time to think about how well Jenken was doing. Thanksgiving finally allowed a brief break from studying and he was amazed that despite his small size Jenken was easily doing things normal one year olds could do. As he thought about the doctors still seeing Jenken every two weeks to ‘monitor’ his development, JJ became alarmed they might be using him as a guinea pig. JJ strongly suggested they begin limiting access to Jenken unless something needed to be addressed. With the obvious now pointed out to them, the rest of the family agreed since Jenken had never had as much as a sniffle and was doing so well. The doctor’s reluctantly agreed the every two week check-ups could be stretched to once a month.

By the time Jane finished her junior year, Jenken was 18 months old, weighed 21 pounds and was 31 inches long. It didn’t take him long to master being able to move from sitting to standing by using hands to push himself up. The spunky child began to walk just about anywhere, though at first with his feet wide apart and arms up to aid balance. Quickly growing proficient, he was soon able to push a wheeled toy in front of himself. He was able to crawl up and down steps and if you held a hand he could actually walk up and down the steps. He was already speaking short childish phrases and was able to engage in short conversations. Since Jane called her mother ‘mom’ and her father ‘dad’, Jenken called his grandmother ‘mom’ and his grandfather ‘dad’. Jane was mommy and JJ was JJ.

Like many toddlers, Disney animated videos became a regular part of Jenken’s life. The Disney Princesses were particular favorites. Even at his tender age he quickly mastered using the remote control. It was obvious that his dexterity was quite advanced as he mastered the pincer grip and could easily pick up small objects, could climb up onto low furniture, was able scribble on paper and drink from a cup without needing help. He loved playing with different shapes, stacking blocks with ease and would pick up his picture books and sit contentedly as he paged through them. The books were always held upright and he always started at the beginning as he made his way page by page to the end.

With school out for the summer, Jane decided to try letting Jenken spend some time outside, something he’d not been allowed to do in the past due to health concerns. Jane took him into the yard behind the family home next door to the pub. JJ had erected a small 18 inch high green plastic coated wire fence to keep the toddler from wandering off. The circular 25' diameter enclosure had plenty of shade and grass with a small sandbox in one corner and a child size picnic table in the center. The fence was low enough for the adults to step over but high enough to keep the inquisitive toddler inside.

The first time inside the enclosure, Jane gently led Jenken around to show him everything. On the kiddie table she had a sippy cup with water. The child was mystified by the sandbox but quickly took to playing in the sand. Once he was familiar with the area, Jane stepped outside the fence to lie in a lounge chair to read and keep an eye on her son.

Jenken was accustomed to mommy being nearby and trusting enough to know mommy would take care of him so being left alone in the fenced in area was not an issue. Jenken walked around touching the grass and looking at the small white clover blossoms and bright yellow dandelions, simply taking in the marvelous new world that had been opened for him. Jane quietly watched him explore, smiling at his childish curiosity as she snapped several photos.

Suddenly a wren swooped down and circled Jenken. The toddler held out a hand and smiled. “Hi bwdy!”

Jane was ready to step in to shoo the bird away when much to her amazement, the wren landed on Jenken’s outstretched hand. Stunned, Jane waited ready to spring into action if needed but mesmerized by the sight. Jenken tilted his head from side to side imitating the bird’s jerking movement of it’s head. The bird began to chirp and, to Jane’s amazement, Jenken made high pitched chirping sounds that sounded strikingly similar to the sounds the wren was making. Jane picked up her camera and set it for video and taped the encounter as the toddler and bird seemed to be having a conversation. As Jane looked on, another wren flew in. Jenken sat down in the grass and the birds chirped away at him as he answered. Within five minutes, 8 wrens, 2 robins, 2 cardinals and a blue jay were gathered around Jenken. They were all chirping away ignoring a stunned Jane who filmed the amazing sight. Before too long, a pair of chipmunks emerged from under the bushes separating the yard from the pub’s parking lot to scamper out amongst the birds to chitter at Jenken who chittered right back.

Jane quietly dialed her mom’s cell and told her what was happening. In 5 minutes, June, James, and JJ quietly sidled up to Jane. They were gobsmacked by what they saw. It looked as if Jenken, the birds, and the chipmunks were having a merry old conversation. Suddenly, as the pollen got to her, June sneezed.

The birds and chipmunks startled and looked at the adults in fear. Jenken reached out and stroked several while chirping and chittering. To the adult’s amazement, the wildlife settled down and turned their attention back to Jenken.

Jenken stood and looked at his family. The bluejay flew up and stood on his head. A robin went to one shoulder while a wren went to the other. A chipmunk scurried up his leg to cling to the waistband of his jeans. The rest of the animals simply gathered about him. “Dad, Mom, JJ, mommy, dees Jenken new fweinds! Dey fwaid caws you big. I say dem you gud an no hurt dem. It ok you say hi.”

Still shocked, the adults managed to smile and say hello. Jenken chirped and chittered apparently translating because the birds began chirping and the chipmunks chittered in response.

“Dey say hi ta you,” Jenken smiled.

Suddenly Jenken whirled and looked at the bushes on the far side of the property just as the neighbor’s big tiger striped tomcat charged out, leaping the fence heading for a tasty meal. The birds and chipmunks all moved to put Jenken between themselves and the charging cat.

“Big Wed, you bein bad puddy tat!” Jenken scolded with a frown on his face. “You be fweinds, not eat!”

Big Red was a notorious hunter in the neighborhood and a swaggering tomcat who deemed humans to be disdainfully below his lofty status. Yet uncharacteristically Big Red stopped his charge to cock his head and look at Jenken then huffed a hearty “Merroww”

“Merroww,” Jenken promptly replied then went on. “Mear, mew, mrow.”

Big Red appeared shocked. Slowly, he lowered his haughty head and almost slunk to Jenken where he rolled submissively on his back at the toddler’s feet.

“Now you gud puddy tat,” Jenken smiled as he went down on his knees to scratch the tomcat’s big furry belly. The birds and chipmunks visibly relaxed and began to chirp and chitter once more.

June, James, JJ, and Jane were speechless. They could actually hear Big Red purring as Jenken rubbed his belly. Not even the people who saw to Big Red’s needs (no one owns a cat, they merely allow humans to be their staff) had ever been able to rub his belly. At best they got an occasional chance to stroke his fur once or twice. Yet here the ferocious hunter had ceased the hunt and willingly submitted himself to Jenken. If the family needed proof that Jenken was truly empathetic and possibly telepathic, they now had it. Jenken looked like the fanciful paintings of St. Francis of Assisi when he’s surrounded by birds and animals
j2

At JJ’s urging the family decided they would keep Jenken’s empathetic abilities with animals to themselves. Since he was already on the doctor’s radar for his unusual abilities, they didn’t want to him to become more of a lab rat. At their next visit to the doctors, Jane and June informed the doctors that since Jenken was doing so well being allowed out of doors and since he’d never been ill, they felt their check-ups could be discontinued and his primary care transferred over to a pediatrician. While the specialists were not pleased, they had no legal basis to object.

The summer sped by. Jenken couldn’t wait to get outside each morning to greet his friends. The number of birds and animals seemed to increase every day. Rabbits, squirrels, and mice came to visit daily. Possums, raccoons, and even skunks made regular appearances. A fox even appeared twice. It was a bird watchers paradise as over two dozen different varieties showed up. Even hawks occasionally showed up. Big Red showed up every day for a belly rub. None of the animals or birds ever showed fear or anxiety, even when being next to their natural enemies. The prey seemed to know they were safe and the predators knew not to attack.

“Jenken, I know you talk to your animal friends,” JJ asked as the summer neared it’s end and he would soon be going back to college. He was perplexed by the sheep lying with the lion paradox. “Why do they all get along so well?”

“I says dem it not nice t’ eat each uder when dey wisit,” Jenken answered with a smile.

“It’s good they listen to you,” JJ smiled. “But don’t the mice feel scared being so close to the others that eat them?”

“Dey not scawd wit me dare,” the toddler answered. “Dey unnestan some be eated an some do eatin. Dat just way it be. Ahway been dat way, ahway be dat way. Wit me dey be safe an get ‘ahong. Dey tawk me an shaiw pwobem an news, I shaiw with uddas so aw unneastan.”

“Wow, that’s a big responsibility,” JJ praised Jenken. “What kind of problems and news do they tell you?”

“T’ings be dangus,” Jenken replied seriously. “Wike when fawma put bad stuff on feewd dat huwts dem. Me not unneastan why fawma wanna huwt aminas.”

“The farmers don’t want to hurt the animals,” JJ explained. “They put chemicals... the bad stuff, on the fields to keep weeds from growing in the crops or to keep insects... bugs, from hurting the crops.”

“But dey huwt aminas too,” Jenken pouted.

“You’re right, they do,” JJ agreed. “But they have to treat the crops to get enough to feed their animals and other people.”

“Fine betta way,” Jenken solemnly declared.

“Well, since you can talk to the animals, maybe when you get older and smarter you can figure out a better way,” JJ smiled. “I’d be happy to help you.”

Jenken smiled liking that idea.

As June and James had done with Jane and JJ when they were small, Jenken was brought to the restaurant on the days all four had to work. Now that Jenken was starting to think and able to move about under his own power, he proved to be a handful. He wasn’t naughty, but he certainly was curious and able. The adults quickly discovered they could not keep him in the basement kitchen/office where they had set up a playroom. That was especially true on the open stage nights. The toddler loved to dance in front of the stage doing childish Irish jigs.

The outpouring of positive emotion from the customers in the restaurant area had done wonders in eliminating Jenken’s anxiety about being among strangers. Now that he could toddle about it was not unusual for him to wander up the steps into the dining room and strike up conversations with the guests. While at first Jane, JJ, June and James were afraid the customers would be upset by the toddler’s intrusions, they quickly discovered that even the crankiest curmudgeon quickly succumbed to the little boy’s charm. The family suspected he was unconsciously using his empathetic abilities to charm them just as he did with the animals and birds. It certainly didn’t take long until customers began coming into the Raven’s Perch simply to meet and talk with Jenken. As regulars brought guests and the story of Jenken’s miraculous life was shared. The White ‘J’ scar on his forehead verified the veracity of the story to doubters. As the business increased, the family had to spend more time working which meant Jenken was there more often. It became a self fulfilling cycle. June and James had to hire more staff to handle the growing influx of customers.

One thing that JJ noted was that while Jenken seemed open and talkative to the adults and older children, little children seemed to put him off his stride. It took a few weeks until JJ realized Jenken had little in common with his age peers. What little play he engaged in was not very childish and his level of maturity was much higher than normal.

The more Jenken interacted with adults and older children, the better his language skills became. By the end of summer he was 21 months old, weighed 23 pounds, was 32 inches tall and was speaking in full sentences. The precocious ever-moving child could walk down stairs while holding onto the banister by placing both feet on each step, could push buttons and turn knobs. Seeing how happy Jenken was to be in the restaurant, Jane felt good about returning to school for her senior year.

Jenken blossomed in the pub. This proved to be a another transition point in his life. Up to this point, his empathetic abilities had steadily grown. By this time not only could he easily sense the mood people were in but now he discovered he could influence their moods. Customers who came in while Jenken was there inevitably left feeling happy. The business grew steadily as feeling good is addictive. Business improved to the point where customers began to make reservations to avoid long wait times.

When Jenken realized the patrons were reading the menus to make their meal selections, he insisted Jane and June read the menu to him like they would a book. They and the customers were quite surprised as they realized he was not only memorizing the menu but was able to point to the appropriate items on the menu. By Halloween he could rattle off the entire menu and prices. While doing this he also was learning his letters and numbers.

By the time his second birthday rolled around, he was able to read, knew the denomination of coins and currency, and was able to do simple addition and subtraction. While still small for his age, weighing 24 pounds and 33 inches tall. His knowledge and personality were far beyond his years.

It was during the Thanksgiving season when his course work was light that JJ realized Jenken seemed more interested in girl type toys and activities than he did in boy type things.. While he regularly played and slept with stuffed animals, he only occasionally played with cars and trucks. He also noted Jenken’s thick straight red hair was starting to grow past his shoulders. “Dad, I remember you insisting my hair couldn’t be more than two inches long. Why haven’t you made Jane take Jenken for a haircut?”

“I tried,” James replied with a heavy sigh. “Every time I brought it up Jane balked. She’s a good mother but often treats him like a live doll. She’ll sit in front of the TV with him on her lap and brush his hair. Your mom does the same thing. Jenken likes the closeness. At the end of September I took Jenken and June with me to the barber for my trim. I wanted to show Jenken it wasn’t painful and it’s what big boys do. Well, he watched and chattered away to Dan about how and why he was cutting my hair. When I was done I told him it was his turn. I’ll tell you, what happened scared the hell out of Dan, your mom, and me.”

James took a deep breath before continuing. “Jenken turned white as a sheet, put his hands on his head to protect his hair and backed away, trembling like a leaf on a tree in a windstorm. I swear I could feel the terror just emanating from him. Even Dan felt it, he put his clippers down and held up his empty hands. June snatched him up and cuddled him. The whole time he kept mumbling “No haiw cut fo Jen! No haiw cut fo Ken! No haiw cut fo Jenken.” It was the damndest thing I ever saw or felt. My guts felt twisted up like I was back in the First Gulf War fighting Iraqis. When I told Jenken we wouldn’t cut his hair unless he agreed to do so, he calmed down. I looked at Dan and he looked at me. We were both spooked. Since then I ask Jenken every time I head out for a haircut but he always refuses. To be honest, I’m afraid to push the issue. With what happened to him, we all know he’s never been quite normal. But that day in the barbershop was the first and only time he scared me.

The incident promptly went into the log JJ was keeping on Jenken’s uniqueness. Saturday morning with the family present JJ spoke to Jenken. “Jenken, do you remember when Dad took you to the barber?”

The normal smile on the little tyke’s face turned into a frown and it almost felt as if the temperature in the room dropped. Everyone shivered. JJ silently swore to himself that he could almost feel the tension building in Jenken.

“No get haiw cut,” Jenken stated as firmly as he could while putting his hands protectively on his head. The little tyke planted his feet as if ready to face down a monster.

“I’m not asking you to get your hair cut,” JJ declared in an effort to diffuse the tension.

“Gud.” Jenken firmly declared.

JJ could feel the tension dissipating. “When Dad told me about your trip to the barber, he told me you became upset when he told you it was your turn to get a haircut. I don’t understand what you meant when you told him “No hair cut for Jen, no hair cut for Ken, no haircut for Jenken. It sounds as if you were talking about three people while it was really only you. Who are Jen and Ken?”

“Jen an Ken be me, Jen-Ken,” Jenken answered as he pointed to his head. “We togeda in head.”

Jane, June, James and JJ were surprised by this revelation. Jen, Ken and Jenken, how had he figured out the three names?

{:-o
up
293 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What a DARLING story idea, . . . Hope no one,

, . . tries to ' over-analyze ' the cranio=physiology stretches that this wonderful work of Fiction commits. I for one gladly tolerate this poetic license used to develop an understanding, in simple childlike terms, of the thread running through this entire site, . . Trans-gendered life ! jjc

johncorc1

Weird

I don't know why, but I kept expecting this to turn into a Stephen King story and turn really dark. Great story, by the way.

nomad

An amazing story plot. I, for

An amazing story plot. I, for one, will definitely be checking for more chapters as I do want to see how Jenken grows, matures and how he or her turns out in life. He has an amazing gift as well, in being able to communicate with the birds and animals. A true little Dr. Doolittle.

wow that was an interesting

wow that was an interesting development at the end! Poor kid already has a tough life, having multiple personalities living within him going against conventional norms is going to be tough to get around especially with the vultures circling to use him as a test subject!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Sweet pair

Podracer's picture

Jen-Ken are a nice couple of innocents. I fear their future holds much freak-show unpleasantness if not shielded from the public eye. Just a kid in the pub with the everyday folk is well and good, as long as nobody takes an interest in the unusual traits which are coming out.
It's good to see words coming out again, Jennifer Sue, I hope things are well with you over there :)
JJ.

"Reach for the sun."

Ahhhhhhh so.......

D. Eden's picture

So Jen is one cranial hemisphere, Ken is the other, and Jen-Ken is the two of them working together.

Three separate identities - and apparently female on top of that.

Interesting!

You've got me hooked!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Jen & Ken

With the corpus collosum severed, perhaps telepathy developed as a means to allow the two halves of the brain to communicate.

Re: Jen & Ken

Telepathy does seem to be a viable explanation for the two halves of the brain being able to communicate together.

But it goes a bit further than that, I think, although fairly short range, limited to his ability to reach and touch or just beyond his reach.

Add a very strong sense of empathy to that, he's going to have a lot of fun learning about the world around him as he grows up.

Then top it off with there being a bit of a leaning toward the feminine, and it becomes even more interesting.

Re: Ahhhhhhh so.......

Definitely an interesting concept. Three identities in one brain, one for each hemisphere, one joined as D. said.

This is turning out to be a rather enjoyable story. I'm definitely hooked!

Two brains.

Yes, I can see this happening. Perhaps Jenkins should be more secretive about his abilities? I can just see DOD guys stalking in to take him.

Gwen

Re: Two brains.

Forget about DOD: I have a feeling the Ravens should expect a visit from Agents Mulder and Sculley!

Jenny

Excellent story Jennifer

that draws you right in hugs you close and never lets go , Our little star of the story is so engaging and is so very lucky to have such a caring family around him (i say him but i guess i should include her too) Looking forward to seeing how Jenken develops over the next few years, I feel sure there are a few surprises yet to come from him/her ..

Kirri