Quoth the Raven Chapter 7 The Murphy's

Printer-friendly version
Chapter 7: The Murphys
jenken

A bit over two weeks after Judy filed the support petitions against her parents they walked into the Raven’s Perch. Judy and Jane were busy waiting tables, JJ was working in the kitchen, and Jenken was at the register. Jenken saw the scowls on the couple and instantly pinged their minds identifying them and their hostile intentions.

They had temporarily set aside their differences to confront their common foe, Judy. They saw Judy waiting tables in the rear of the dining room and were embarrassed to have their child doing such menial work. Jenken sensed their desire to disrupt and put Judy off balance. Upset by their haughty superior attitudes, Jenken disrupted their single minded agenda to let them realize they were hungry.

In the afternoon rush hour traffic it had taken them almost three hours to get to Moselem from Hoboken and they had not stopped along the way. It only took a tiny nudge for them to note the people enjoying their meals. Another tiny prod had them smelling the savory aromas causing their mouths to water. The two tiny tweaks combined to help them realize they were hungry. As was his custom, Jenken touched June to let her know customers had just entered.

“Hello, welcome to the Raven’s Perch,” June greeted the couple. “Will there be more joining your party?”

“Ahh, no,” Sean Murphy said as he frowned at the distraction of the unexpected hunger pangs. “Just the two of us.”

“Very well,” June smiled as she plucked two menus from the rack by the door and led them to a nearby table. “I have a table open just over here. Jane will be your waitress. She’ll be over shortly to get your drink orders. Enjoy you meal!”

“This certainly isn’t how we planned this,” Adele Murphy sniffed as she opened the menu. “I didn’t realize how hungry I was until we entered. At least it looks like a decent place, quaint in a way.”

“It’s family owned and run,” Sean stated. “The food must be decent to have this much business on a Wednesday evening.”

The table they were at was near the register where Jenken sat. Jane came over to them. “Welcome to the Raven’s Perch. I’m Jane, your waitress for this evening. Can I get you something to drink?”

“Is there a good locally produced wine”? Adele wasn’t sure why she asked what she did but it seemed like a good idea.

Jenken almost chuckled. Adele was a wine snob so it hadn’t taken much of nudge.

“Clover Hill Vineyard and Winery is located about ten miles from here,” Jane smiled. “They have won several Gold Medals for their Vignoles. I’m too young to enjoy it but I’m told it has a sweet and flowery bouquet with a clean crisp sweet pineapple flavor balanced with agreeable acidity.”

“That sounds interesting,” Sean nodded although not sure why. “Please bring us a bottle and two glasses.”

“Of course,” Jane smiled. “I’ll be back in a moment.”

At that point a customer approached the register to pay his bill. “Here you go, Jenken,” the man smiled as he handed the slip to the toddler. “Do your thing!”

Adele and Sean watched in fascination as the little guy took the ticket.

“Thank you,” Jenken smiled as he took the slip and looked at it. “Your bill is twenty three dollars and forty eight cents. Six percent tax adds one dollar and forty one cents for a total of twenty four dollars and eighty nine cents. Will that be cash or credit?”

“Credit, Jenken,” the man smiled as he passed his card to the smiling boy.

Jenken ran the card through the reader and punched in the pertinent data. When the response came back the slip printed. Jenken tore it off and handed it and a pen to the smiling man. “Here’s your slip,” Jenken smiled while the second copy printed.

The man checked the slip and the tax chart taped to the counter and shook his head. “Right on the nose again,” the man smiled as he filled in a generous tip and signed the receipt.

Jenken took the signed receipt and gave him the second copy while smiling. “I don’t make mistakes. I know what to do.”

“I know that,” the man smiled. “I still don’t know how you calculate the tax in your head.”

“I just do it,” Jenken shrugged his shoulders with an embarrassed grin. “I’m good with numbers. Thank you for your business. Please come again.”

“Don’t worry, we will,” the man smiled as he turned to leave.

Jane returned with the wine and two glasses, then carefully opened the bottle and poured some into both glasses.

Sean picked up his glass and swirled it beneath his nose while sniffing. “It smells good. But tell me, how old is that boy at the register?”

“That’s my son, Jenken,” Jane smiled proudly. “He’s just a bit over two and half.”

“We just saw him ring up that man’s check,” Adelle said in wonderment. “He seems to be quite proficient and he speaks quite well. How long did it take you to teach him to run the register?”

“That’s just it,” Jane smiled. “We didn’t teach him. Just before Christmas we were short handed. Jenken just climbed up and started taking the checks. We were as amazed as everyone. When we asked him he pouted a bit and said, ‘Me not dumb, me watch how it done and learn.’ He’s never made a mistake and interacting with the customers has improved his speech. None of us know how he can calculate the tax and add it so quickly in his head.”

“I guess you’re all proud of him,” Adelle smiled wickedly. “But aren’t you a bit young to have a child that old?”

“Yes,” Jane smiled knowing Jenken was keeping her spirits from sinking with embarrassment and giving her the strength to continue smiling. “I just graduated from high school but I was raped three years ago. Jenken is the only good thing to come out of it. Now, are you ready to place your orders?”

Adelle was suitably put in her place. By the time Sean placed his order Adelle had recovered enough to place her own. As they waited they watched Judy happily hustling from table to table smiling and exchanging light hearted banter with the customers.

When Judy headed for the bar to get drinks she saw her parents.

Fortunately Jenken jumped into her mind and grabbed her shock and fear. “Relax, I’ve got things under control,” Jenken mentally assured her. “They came here to confront you hoping for surprise and shock to catch you off balance. Smile and greet them as if they were regular customers. You’ll shock them!”

Bolstered by Jenken, Judy didn’t hesitate a bit as she approached her parents. “Hi,” she smiled with a little finger wave as she briefly stopped. “I’m surprised you came all this way to see me! I’m busy right now but things will slow down soon so we can talk then.” With that she headed through the swinging doors into the bar to get the drinks for her customers.

Jenken stayed with her and let her see through his eyes the shocked expressions on her parents’ faces. They never expected their quiet mousey daughter to be so open and jovial. Quietly he let the rest of the family know Judy’s parents were there cautioning them to carry on as normal.

When Judy returned with the beers for her table she smiled and nodded at her parents as she once again passed them. Jane approached with their salads exchanging a wink as she passed Judy.

“The other waitress,” Sean asked. “Is she family?”

“Not quite,” Jane smiled. “She’s my older brother, JJ’s, fiancee and she stays with us when school’s not in session. She and I are sharing my bedroom while JJ and Jenken share another. Since my rape, the family is very much against premarital sex and JJ and Judy respect that.”

“Oh,” Adelle said again caught off guard. “Does her family object to their relationship?”

“I sincerely doubt they even care,” Jane chuckled keeping her anger muted with Jenken’s help. “They’re divorced and both threw her out the day she graduated high school. They basically abandoned her to her own devices. She was surviving but not easily until JJ brought her here during Easter break. We fell in love with her just like he did. My parents are like parents to her and she’s like a sister to me.”

“Sounds like she’s doing okay now,” Sean said as he glared at Adelle.

“She is,” Jane smiled innocently. “Jenken was upset by the way her parents treated her so without her knowing he researched her situation very intently via the internet... her parents and New Jersey’s child support laws. Based on his findings, just two weeks ago she filed a claim with the Courts to get what her parents should have been giving her. With all the evidence, it’s virtually an open and shut case against them. They owe her just shy of $1.7 million. When Jenken explained it all to Judy he said they’d be smart to just pay her off to avoid the scandal of being sued for back support. If the case goes to court the years of mental abuse and neglect she suffered will be publicly revealed and adversely effect their business reputations. Jenken told her not to settle for less than $1.7 million as it would be cheaper than the lawyer fees and bad publicity.”

“That little boy did all that?” Sean asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, he’s super smart,” Jane smiled proudly. “He can read and write as well as comprehend on a collegiate level. We don’t have any idea how we’ll ever find a school for him. Well, enjoy your salads. Your entree should be up in five minutes.”

Jenken had mentally tied the family together so they could see and listen to the ‘innocent’ exchange. They smiled as they saw the consternation in the faces of Judy’s parents.

Since Judy had already spoken to them, they couldn’t just sneak out. They realized coming to confront Judy had been a bad idea and although neither voiced their anger and frustration, each blamed the other for the fiasco. Jenken didn’t plant those ideas but he did nurture them while at the same time keeping them civil. When they finally had time to talk to Judy, they’d be splintered and defensive. The fact the meal was delicious and the atmosphere was friendly only added to their frustration. The couple quickly polished off the bottle of wine as well as a second. Despondent and feeling hopeless they ended the meal with a mixed drink each. Sean ordered an Irish Car Bomb. (A shot of whiskey, one shot of Bailey's, and one bottle Guinness. The bottle of Guinness is poured into a glass and the shot of whiskey poured on top. A shot glass full of Bailey's is dropped into the glass of Guinness and whiskey. When it starts to foam, it should be chugged quickly. It will taste like chocolate milk but if you wait too long it will curdle.) Adelle ordered a Long Island Ice Tea. (A shot of vodka, a shot of rum, a shot of gin, a shot of tequila, a shot of triple sec, a lemon and coke. It begins with a cocktail shaker of ice, add the spirits, squeeze in a fresh lemon, put the lid on and shake. Pour it into a tall glass then add lots of ice before slowly pouring the coke on top of the ice.)

By the time the Murphy’s finished their mixed drinks they were the last customers in the restaurant. Judy brought the Ravens over to meet her parents. Introductions were brief and Jane apologized if she insulted them with her earlier ‘unknowing’ statements. June and Jane continued busing the now empty tables while James, JJ, Jenken and Judy pulled seats over to join Sean and Adelle. Jenken bolstered the family’s resolve and confidence and muted their anger. The precocious toddler also brought a clipboard.

“I assume you came to talk me out of the child support suit,” Judy smiled with confidence as she opened the discussion.

The silence was awkward as Adelle and Sean exchanged anguished looks. This was definitely not the way this was supposed to go down. Finally Sean nodded.

“Jane told us she already told you what I’ll settle for,” Judy declared. “Obviously your lawyers have already told you you’ll have to pay the support. You wouldn’t have come all this way to ambush me otherwise. But I’m not the mousey little girl you abandoned. I’ll make this short and tart, just the same as you always treated me. There is no negotiating. If you agree to pay me $1.7 million I’ll contact the family court and ask them to hold the action. If the CASH is not deposited to my account with Wells Fargo within thirty days, I’ll resume the case and make sure ALL the details go public. I’m sure that would do wonders for your public images as well as your business reputations.”

Adelle and Sean realized they were now in the position they had hoped to place Judy. They were feeling the alcohol and knew they’d walked into a hornets nest. Their lawyers had already told them to settle out of court just as Judy stated. The negative publicity could very well ruin them. Reluctantly, they nodded their acceptance.

“I’m glad you agree,” Jenken smiled as he placed the clipboard on the table and pulled out four sheets of paper. “I have a contract ready. It’s quite simple. You each deposit $850,000.00 into Judy’s bank account by July 15 of this year. In return, she’ll drop the support suit. Please read then sign each copy. Dad and JJ will sign as witnesses. Judy will keep one, you’ll each keep a copy, and the fourth will be filed with the Berks County Recorder of Deeds. The deal will be done and there will be no more troubles for anyone.”

Adelle and Sean looked at Jenken clearly shocked by his lucid summation. There was little hint of the cute toddler who had been manning the cash register earlier. The no-nonsense expression on his face and the steely stare of his eyes unsettled them.

“What you witnessed earlier when I was running the register was an act,” Jenken stated. “I do rein my intellect in to keep the peace. It’s difficult enough for people to accept I can run the register, but if I let down all my guards I might freak them out. They’ll accept a precocious toddler. Now, lets get back to the four identical forms.”

The fact his speech was polite and concise did unsettle them. The names of everyone who would sign were printed on the documents. Sean spoke. “How?”

“Using the internet I’ve read law and understand legalese. Everything I read I not only remember. I correlate it with the rest of my knowledge,” Jenken replied with a lot more authority than a 2 ½ year old should ever be able to muster. “I whipped these up on our computer in back after I left the register. These agreements are valid and will be binding when signed. If you sign and don’t pay Judy, we’ll present everything in court. You’ll be in big trouble. To be brutally honest you have no viable option but so sign.”

Being told off by the toddler was more than the deflated arrogant duo could handle. With scowls they signed the forms.

“Don’t worry about the meal,” Jenken smiled as he placed the signed forms in plastic sheet protectors and handed them to the appropriate persons. “Its on house. Oh, by the way, I also suggest you let us take you to a local motel for the night. With all the alcohol you’ve consumed you really shouldn’t try to drive home tonight, ”

That last advice didn’t settle well. In a huff, the duo hastily left. James and JJ followed them to the parking lot to keep an eye on them. Within minutes Sean’s BMW was spewing stones as he angrily tore out of the gravel parking area. Once at SR 662 he turned east laying twin streaks of rubber as he took off at a high rate of speed heading for the intersection with US Route 222 on the way back to New Jersey. Sean was screaming at Adelle who gave as good as she got.

James and JJ returned to the Raven’s Perch to help clean up. After a few moments Jenken motioned them to join the others in a hasty conference in the kitchen. “I’ve been a bit naughty,” Jenken confessed. “I didn’t make the Murphy’s do anything they didn’t want to do but I did encourage them in some areas and dampen them in others. They signed of their own free will. As they finished eating I probed the police officers from the Fleetwood Police Department to see who was on duty. It’s Jay Hammer. I planted a suggestion in his mind to patrol 662 between 143 the traffic light at 222. A minute ago he was parked by the old mill at the Moselem Springs Golf Course when a BMW with New Jersey plates shot past him at high speed on the wrong side of the road. Promptly pulling out he clocked them doing 75mph in the 45mph zone and weaving all over the road. He put on his lights and pulled them over. When he asked for the registration and drivers licence he smelled alcohol so he’s just called for assistance and do a field sobriety test. Judy, your parents are both yelling and shouting bad words. I don’t think they’re going to get home tonight.”

Despite trying to keep straight faces, no one succeeded. Jenken had not made them drink all they had and he had warned them about driving home. There was no way he made them speed and swerve about on the road. He had not made them yell at the officer. If anything, he saved them from having an accident and possibly hurting themselves or anyone else.

“I have an idea that will boost us into an even better position,” Jenken spoke up. “Officer Mort Davis has arrived as back-up. Sean is cuffed in the back of Officer Hammer’s car and Adelle is cuffed being put in the back seat of Officer Davis’ car. It looks like they’ll wind up in jail. If you show up and identify them, I can ‘convince’ the officers to just give them tickets and release them to us. We let them sleep it off, then let them go home in the morning. They’ll owe us even more since we’ll be saving their butts and reputations. Who knows, keeping them out of jail may help them understand family sticks together.”

“That sounds like a good idea,” James declared with a chuckle. “But won’t it look strange if we just show up?”

“Not if we tell them we heard it on the police scanner,” Jenken replied. “After all, you did get one after mommy was hurt when I was in her tummy. If we’re going to do it, you need to leave now.”

Six minutes later James pulled over after passing the police cars and the BMW. James, JJ, and Judy stepped out and walked slowly back to the officers. James called out to the men who were frequent customers.

The officers had been on alert when the SUV pulled over but relaxed upon recognizing James. Officer Davis spoke. “What are you doing out here?

“We heard on our scanner you pulled over a BMW with New Jersey plates,” James said as he glanced in the back of one patrol car to see Adelle. “Your culprits are my future in-laws.”

“These two... people,” Officer Hammer said. “They’re Judy’s parents?”

“I’m afraid so,” Judy said as she and JJ joined them.

“I know it’s asking a lot,” James said. “But could you release them to us? It’d save you having to take them to lock-up and we can take their car too. We won’t let them go until they’re fit to drive. We’re not asking you to let them off. Give them all the tickets you want. Just don’t lock them up.”

The officers exchanged looks. Releasing the drunken culprits to Raven’s was a reasonable action and would save them a lot of paperwork. With chuckles they pulled the now morose couple out of the patrol cars. “Mr and Mrs Murphy, you’re lucky to have friends willing to stand up for you. We’ll need you to sign these violations you refused to sign earlier. If you refuse, I’ll have no choice but to lock you up in the Berks County Prison.”

“Don’t be so damn stubborn,” Judy scolded them. “Paying fines will be laughed off by your friends and colleagues, being in jail won’t. Sign the tickets and let us take you back to the Raven’s home to sleep it off.”

Sean and Adelle were upset and angry. But with some gentle nudges from Jenken while they sat hand-cuffed in the back seat of the police cars they understand their dire circumstances. The entire trip had been a fiasco. If they wound up in jail it would become a total debacle. Despite their inebriation, they wisely signed the violations. Soon they were seated in the rear seat of the SUV with Judy up front beside James as he headed back to the Raven’s Perch. JJ followed in the BMW.

As they headed home, Jenken telepathically let the family know he had not had to exert any influence on the officers to get them to release the couple. He did admit to ‘helping’ Sean and Adelle see the error of their ways.

By the time they pulled into the family parking area, June and Judy had prepared their modest home for their guests. Aspirin and coffee were waiting for Adelle and Sean as they awkwardly followed Judy inside. They were offered two options. JJ and Jenken could camp out in the living room and they could have that room. The other choice was for Sean to sleep with JJ and Jenken while Adelle slept with Jane and Judy. Since they couldn’t stand each other, the ex-couple decided to share bedrooms with the youngsters. The evening had been stressful for everyone so without further ado, everyone cleaned up for the night and turned in. Jenken helped everyone drift off to a sound sleep.

The next morning Adelle and Sean awoke to the smells of breakfast. Although they tried to beg off, that was not an option. Everyone sat about the table eating and talking. It was an eye-opening experience for Sean and Adelle. Everyone was free to voice their opinion on any issues that were raised. The fact that in the end they all clearly respected Jenken’s obvious knowledge and intelligence spooked them more than a bit.

Finally Sean couldn’t take it anymore. “I don’t mean to sound rude, but you knew why we came here yet you clearly went out of your way to help us. We truly appreciate the fact you kept us from being locked up, but why did you do it?”

“That’s simple. It was the right thing to do,” James smiled in reply. “Just because we don’t see eye to eye doesn’t mean we can’t be concerned about your well-being. Being sent to jail would not have helped us in the least but it could have major repercussions for you. Besides, you’re family.”

“The Ravens are good people,” Judy added. “They try to do what’s right without regard for how it will benefit them. You saw last night the customers feel comfortable in the Raven’s Perch. You both felt the open welcome the moment you entered. I’ll lay odds eating a meal was the last thing on your mind when you walked through the door.”

The guilty expressions on Sean’s and Adelle’s faces gave clear evidence she was right on the money.

“But once you were inside, the delicious smells and the welcome friendly atmosphere made you realize you were hungry,” Judy smiled. “It takes good, honest people to create that kind of ambience. Without anyone even knowing who you were you were welcomed and couldn’t help but to be drawn in. When JJ and I get married, we’ll do our best to be just as caring and loving.”

Sean and Adelle began to truly realize this was indeed a very solid and strong family. They never had what the Raven’s enjoyed. At a much deeper level than their normal shallow existence that truly saddened them. After breakfast, goodbyes were said and the Murphy’s began the long quiet drive home. Both were lost in musing about how nice life could be. Even as they left, everyone felt it would be a LONG time before Sean and Adelle returned to Pennsylvania.

{:-0

The Murphy’s each paid their $850,000.00 share of the money Judy demanded to end the child support lawsuit by the July 15th deadline. Of course they had consulted their lawyers. The document they had signed to end the lawsuit, even though presented by a toddler, was legally sound and binding. The reality was that if they reneged on the settlement, it could be presented in court. Even though they could claim they coerced into signing when they were inebriated, as verified by the traffic citations and thus have the settlement voided, they would still be forced to pay up by the State of New Jersey. In the end they would most certainly loose the case and the bad publicity would severely damage their reputations and businesses. The encounter had left a sour taste in their mouths, not with Judy and the Ravens, but with themselves. Both realized they derived no satisfaction from their hollow yuppie lives. Their selfish narrow world had been ripped open by their encounter with the Raven Family

{:-(

Once the deposits were confirmed Judy promptly withdrew the lawsuit as promised. The entire Raven family was delighted since there was no longer a reason why Judy and JJ had to wait to get married.

While the Ravens and Murphys were nominally Christian, all were currently unchurched. For them and many others, the religion of Christianity interfered with and diluted their faith. The rituals were dry and had become so rote as to be meaningless. Through Jenken they had communed with nature and felt closer to all existence and spiritually linked to all life. Judy and JJ agreed they wanted a special unique wedding. They decided they wanted a meaningful service that transcended the baggage that came with stagnated organized religion.

After a bit of discussion, Judy contacted one of their college friends, Serenity Dawn. Serenity was a cheerful young woman who loved life. An active member of the KU GLBTQ Resource Center, she openly proclaimed her Wiccan beliefs while never discounting the faith of others. Judy and JJ had sat in on many discussions in the organization and in smaller groups discussing faith and sexuality. Serenity’s mother, Misty, was a Wiccan priestess and they had met a few times when she came to see her daughter.

Misty Dawn was impressed with Judy and JJ’s attitudes and caring. When she learned they were interested in discussing possible wedding scenarios, she eagerly agreed visit the Raven family to discuss options. The Dawns arrived on a Friday evening, parking in the main lot and entering the restaurant. Misty and Serenity assumed the toddler behind the register was the precocious child Judy and JJ spoke of so highly.

By this time it was not unusual for Jenken to sport beribboned pigtails and lace topped anklets with MaryJanes while wearing camo cargo shorts and hoodie as regular features of his daily wardrobe in the Raven’s Perch. His self proclaimed intersexed twin brain explanation was universally accepted. His bubbly personality and quick wit endeared him to one and all. As time passed, more and more customers praised him for being true to him/herself. A tiny handful felt morally repelled by the sexual duality presented but Jenken mentally aborted their outrage without forcing them to change their opinion.

From his post behind the register Jenken recognized the pair from seeing them in Judy and JJ’s memories. It only took him an instant to touch their minds and see they were trustworthy, good people. Since no one was finishing their meal and the family was busy with customers, Jenken slid off his stool and scurried to greet them.

{:-)
up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice outcome with Judy's

Nice outcome with Judy's parents.
Not at all uncommon for police officers to release intoxicated subjects to family members, rather than booking them into jail.
It definitely depends on the actions of the 'drunk' individual/s at the scene of arrest, AND what their Blood Alcohol levels are.
My Agency, mandated that 3.0 or higher REQUIRED being transported to the local hospital for medical treatment.
This was to prevent the person having alcohol poisoning.

Re: Nice outcome with Judy's parents.

Sean and Adelle Murphy were very, very lucky that JJ, Judy and James stepped in to help them after they were pulled over by the officer. Without that intervention, Sean and Adelle would most likely have ended up in jail, which would have had serious adverse effects for them.

Jenken the precocious!

I had to laugh at what a precocious little imp Jenken was when the Murphys showed up ready to cause trouble for their estranged daughter! I just love the way he/she manipulated them into over-imbibing during the course of the meal they had never originally intended to order!

This tale is definitely way out of the ordinary; but it is so well written that I cannot help but feel a bond with all the main characters, particularly Jenken!

I would like to thank our author, Jennifer Sue, for sharing this wonderful story with us! I am looking forward to the next chapter.

Jenny