Young Love, Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

This is a short chapter. I hope you enjoy it. If you have not already done so, it might help if you would read my story, "Guns are not for Little Boys", Chapter 2. It may help understand this chapter.

Young Love
A Lizzie Jane Adventure
Chapter 1
 
By Billie Sue Pilgrim

 

 

YOUNG LOVE
Chapter 1

Lizzie Jane was curled up in front of the fireplace watching the fire dance around the split wooden logs, swaying back and forth, often shooting upward with flaming fingers seemingly trying to reach some unseen object and at other times swirling around in semi-circles.

Enjoying a cup of sweeten coffee, she sat on a pallet composed of patch-work quilts, padded to create a soft cushioned seat and to keep the coolness of the floor from coming through. It was a cloudy, dreary day with highs in the 50's. Christmas Day had come to an end. Everyone was looking toward a new year, wondering what mysteries might be revealed in 1955.

Lizzie Jane's mind was centered on Jake -- a young man who had been just a friend, who somehow had slipped into her heart, creating a powerful emotional attachment which was causing confusion to a young teenage girl, unsure of her feelings.

Did she love Jake? Was she capable of knowing love -- the kind of love that molded two hearts together with eternal bonding that would never be loosen? Or was she just a teen who was swept away by some temporary affection? When did it all happen?

Her mind went back to Sam's Place when Jake bought her a coke, where he had embarrassed her with talk about marriage, but walked her home with his arm around her, shielding her against the cool night air. That was when Lizzie Jane experienced her first kiss.

Lizzie Jane tried to piece together what could have happened in that short period of time to change a friendly association to one reserved for a couple in love.

At that time (just as she was doing now), she remembered asking herself if Jake was just a friend or did she really love him? The kiss seemed to be the magic moment when she submitted to the love and warmness of someone who truly loved her. The tenderness of that moment and the strange feelings that invaded her lasted only a short time before a bullet entered her body, fired by a murderer in a passing vehicle.

Falling unconsciously to the street, she did not remember the hours she spent in ICU as she struggled between life and death, but she did remember being told that Jake never left the hospital and did not go home until she was dismissed.

When she was able, but still in a weak state, Doc Brown had transported her home, lying in the back seat of his old car, while Jake rode in the front on the passenger side. He continually looked back, checking on her during the long trip. Lizzie Jane had seen him and remembered exchanging smiles. There wasn't any doubt of Jake's love for Lizzie Jane. He had proved that. (See "Guns are not for Little Boys", Chapter 2 for complete details.)

Oh, if only she could relive the warm moment of that first kiss -- but that was impossible. If the love was real and the experience was not just a passing fantasy, she realized there would be more tender romantic moments, but none like the first time.

A tear dropped from her eye -- not of sadness -- but of loneliness and the desire to be cuddled and secure in Jake's manly arms, submitting to his charm and being assured of his devotion as the girl of his life. She would return that devotion with a smile and a charming kiss.

Aunt Maudie stood at the door watching Lizzie Jane and the sorrow she seemed to be suffering. Walking over and placing her arm around her niece, Aunt Maudie asked, "Do you want to tell me about it?"

"Oh, Aunt Maudie," whimpered Lizzie Jane. "It is how I feel about Jake. I am so confused. I think I love him, but I don't know for sure."

Aunt Maudie smiled, "Ah, that thing called love -- sent from Heaven to worry the devil out of you. For some, it is stronger than it is for others. One thing to remember -- true love is more than just a fascination. It is much deeper -- and more rewarding."

"How will I know?" pleaded a tearful Lizzie Jane.

"In time..." Aunt Maudie paused, then continued. "In time you will know."

"How do you love Uncle Jed?" inquired Lizzie Jane.

"I love him enough to wash his stinking socks, dirty underwear, and put up with his little faults -- and kiss him while I am doing all that, even though I feel that I need a clothes pin on my nose sometimes. Now, that is real love," smiled Aunt Maudie. "Love is when you get to a place where you just can't seem to live without him. Love is like keeping those old shoes that you can't throw away because they are so comfortable -- even though they are worn out."

"Is Uncle Jed like an old shoe?" teased Lizzie Jane.

"Yep -- he is just comfortable to be around," replied Aunt Maudie "-- just like an old shoe and he is just about worn out -- but I will keep him, anyway. Couldn't get a plug nickel for him if I tried to trade him for someone else, so I might just as well keep the old codger."

That brought a smile to Lizzie Jane, followed by a little giggle, and before they knew it, Lizzie Jane and Aunt Maudie both were rolling in laughter.

"What are you two hens cackling about?" asked Uncle Jed as he walked in with Jake behind him.

"Oh, nothing -- just girl talk," replied Aunt Maudie.

Lizzie Jane spied Jake just as Uncle Jed proclaimed, "Look what I found wandering around."

The young couple smiled at each other as Jake began to speak, "I was just out walking around when somehow I wandered off this-a-way and I am glad I did," flashing another smile at Lizzie Jane.

Aunt Maudie spoke up, "I don't think the eggs have been gathered today. Lizzie Jane, would you...?" The question never was completed when Lizzie Jane said, "I will be glad to." Stretching out her hand to Jake, she asked, "Do you want to walk out to the chicken house with me?" That was like asking a dog if it wanted a big steak.

Jake reached out and took Lizzie Jane's hand and they walked through the kitchen with Lizzie Jane grabbing a wire handled basket for the eggs. Although it was a cool winter day, Lizzie Jane's heart was warm and her body did not notice the coolness, either. Pausing just before reaching the door of the chicken house, the couple stopped. Jake pulled Lizzie Jane up close and their lips touched. If there were any question as to whether the tenderness of that first kiss could be repeated, it was answered that day.

At the same time, both said to the other, "I love you." Realizing that was said in unison, they began to laugh, which was quickly hushed by another lingering kiss.

Uncle Jed and Aunt Maudie was peeping out the kitchen window at the loving couple when Uncle Jed said, "Reckon they will get the eggs?"

Aunt Maudie replied, "Does it really matter?"

"I guess not," answered Uncle Jed. "Whatta you say we try what they are doing?"

"You ole goat. You will never get too old to keep me from loving you," answered Aunt Maudie and the older couple embraced.

***********************************************************

Yep, love was in the air that winter day -- or do you suppose it was in the water?

--To be Continued--

-
-

Copyright 2007 by Starla Anne Lowry
under the pen name of Billie Sue Pilgrim

-
-

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welcome Back BiIllie Sue

Welcome Back Billie Sue,
Thanks for another wonderful story!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Sasha Nexus

All my hopes
Sasha Zarya Nexus

Welcome Back Billie Sue

Thank you. I am happy to be back with (hopefully) no more knee surgery for awhile. It is still on a non-weight bearing status since the surgeon had to go further down on the lower leg and attached everything to a leg bone, but I am trying to take care of it.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue