Young Love, Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Lizzie Jane and Jake sat holding hands watching the old clock on the mantel over the fireplace tick toward midnight and the new year -- 1955. Their clock may be off a few minutes, but to them it would be official and they would meet the new year together.
 

Young Love
A Lizzie Jane Romantic Adventure
Chapter 2
 
By Billie Sue Pilgrim

 

 

YOUNG LOVE
CHAPTER 2

Lizzie Jane and Jake sat holding hands watching the old clock on the mantel over the fireplace tick toward midnight and the new year -- 1955. Their clock may be off a few minutes, but to them it would be official and they would meet the new year together.

They could hear firecrackers in the background. As usual, there would probably be drunks who would be out of touch with reality so much that they would not know what was happening. The Korean War (or conflict, as some called it) had been over about a year and a half and some of the soldiers were trying to forget. Others may had been a failure in life -- maybe a loser in business or love. But, there were some who just liked to get drunk.

There wasn't any liquor served at Aunt Maudie's home where Lizzie Jane and Jake were seated. Instead, they knelt in prayer and asked for God's guidance in their lives.They were just a young couple in love and both felt that there was something in God's plan for them, but did not know exactly what.

But, as for the time being, they only knew that they loved each other and that is all that mattered. What would lay ahead was unknown, but they knew that it was in God's hand and all would work out okay.

At the stroke of midnight, they kissed and took in the moment for awhile. Finally as the clock struck one o'clock, they said good night and Jake headed home to go to bed, but not until after one more kiss and the gentle words each whispered to the other --- "I love you."

Lizzie Jane lay upon her bed, sleep not coming quickly and thought about the future. She could see out the window from where she lay, so she looked at the stars and thought of the glory of God, the great expanse of the universe and the beauty of nature. As she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep, her mind was on Jake. In dreamland, she dreamed of being a wife in a house with children running around -- her children -- her and Jake's children. The dream was so sweet, not marred by anything to the contrary.

************************************************************************

The sun was already shining through her window when Lizzie Jane awoke to greet the first day of the new year. Aunt Maudie had let her sleep late, which was very unusual. Being on a farm meant there were chores to be done, but in winter maybe that was not as important as other times of the year when more active farming was going on. The major crop in one field was cotton and another field grew corn. Each year, the crops were reversed. Also, there was the family garden -- a huge one in which grew all the vegetables the family would need, most of it canned for later use.

Most farm families had a milk cow, but Uncle Jed had three so they could have milk all year. It had been Lizzie Jane's early morning job to milk one of the cows. Only one was giving milk because one cow had been turned dry, waiting to give birth to another calf, and another had just 'come in' (a term meaning that she had a new born calf which caused the milk to be too rich for humans).

As Lizzie entered the kitchen, she saw Uncle Jed coming from the barn, having already completed the morning milking. Aunt Maudie turned around, saw her and said, "Have a seat, honey. I will have you some eggs, sausage and gravy in a minute. I know you were up late and the reason why." Aunt Maudie smiled at her last statement.

Lizzie Jane saw the smile and smiled back. It was clear that Uncle Jed and Aunt Maudie approved of Jake.

Since New Year's Day fell on a Saturday this year, Jed had planned to make his regular trip into town to pick up a few groceries that they needed, such as sugar and coffee.

Although Christmas had been a major holiday, New Year's Day did not have much meaning except that it was a time for new beginnings. The stores should be open and Lizzie Jane figured most of the young people would be gathered at Sam's Place, so she welcomed the chance to go with Uncle Jed. Aunt Maudie would stay home preparing the traditional New Year Day's meal, black-eye peas, hog jowls and corn bread. That kind of meal was expected to bring prosperity. Lizzie Jane had secretly thought that it may have been selected because of all the rich foods on Christmas and people had run out of money.

Anyway, Lizzie Jane had been correct. Sam's Place was full of young people and Uncle Jed had given her forty cents. That was enough for a Coke, hamburger, some kind of dessert and have a few cents left over.

She quickly found two of her friends, Alice and Connie. Ordering a Coke, the girls began to catch up on the gossip of the day, which included who was sweet on whom.

"I hear that you and Jake are getting chummy", mentioned Alice.

"Yeah," agreed Connie. "He's cute, too."

"Well, we have talked," answered an embarassed Lizzie Jane.

"Well, from what I heard you were whispering 'cause your lips were close together," teased Alice. "When is the big day?"

"Big day?" asked Lizzie Jane.

"Yeah, the big day. When are you planning on getting hitched?"

"Now, wait a minute," insisted Lizzie Jane. "In the first place, I am not old enough and I am not sure I am ready."

"You can marry at 14 with consent. You are not far off from that," said Alice. "If you don't hurry up, you might wind up an old maid."

"In May," stated Lizzie Jane. "My birthday is May 4th."

"Girl, get married while you have the chance." chimed in Connie. "You know how men are. A pretty girl flashes her eyes and he finds another heifer."

"You know, he has already claimed you," stated Alice.

Lizzie Jane remembered very well when Jake did just that and she had crawled under the table and Jake crawled under there with her. That was the night when she wanted to go home and hide, but it was also the night of that first magic kiss.

"Here is your Coke, miss," a voice spoke.

Lizzie Jane looked up at the waiter -- and it was Jake. "And it has two straws and is already paid for."

Jake looked at the other two girls and asked, "You don't mind if I steal your friend, will you?" Alice and Connie nodded that it was okay.

Jake gently took Lizzie Jane by the hand and pulled her up and pointed, "There is a nice table in the corner."

"Jake, stop -- please," begged Lizzie Jane. "People are looking at us."

"Well, aren't we going to invite them to our wedding?" asked Jake.

Lizzie Jane decided to stand there arguing would cause more looks, so she said, "Let's go and sit down."

As Lizzie Jane took her seat, Jake sat down. "My, you are as red as a radish."

Lizzie Jane put her hand to the side of her face, trying to hide from the smiles of the other kids, pleading with a whispering voice "Please stop. You are embarassing me."

"You are so cute when you are embarassed," replied Jake, grinning from ear to ear. "I love you and I want everyone to know it."

Lizzie Jane knew that was true and she loved him, but here was a girl who could stand bravely in the face of danger without showing fear, but could not publicly show her love for the one she cared for so much. She was not a super heroine, but could substitute for one very easily.

Jake realized that. She had even rescued him from certain death once, but he was not in love with a heroine, but a tender, charming young lady -- a lady in every sense of the word. A young lady who needed him and he needed her.

As he took Lizzie Jane by the hand and whispered, "I have kidded so much about marrying you, but let me do it proper. You know I love you with all my heart and I believe that our love was created in heaven, so I now officially ask you -- Will you marry me?"

Lizzie Jane's heart began to flutter which has been described by some as being like butterflies. Tears swelled up in her eyes and she began to melt, becoming as limber as a dishrag. Everything seemed to be going around in circles. She closed her eyes.....

****************************************

When she opened her eyes, she discovered that she way lying on the floor with a wet cloth on her forehead and a circle of girls around her. On his knees beside her was Jake rubbing her hand and saying, "I am so sorry. Please be okay."

Lizzie Jane lay there looking up at her surrroundings. She heard someone say, "Here comes Doc Brown."

Doc Brown knelt beside her, checking her pulse, shining a small flashlight in her eyes. "What happened?" asked the Doc.

"She fell from her seat all of a sudden and hit her head on the concrete floor when she fell," replied one of the girls who had seen the whole thing.

"Does your head hurt?" asked Doc Brown.

"A little," replied Lizzie Jane.

"I don't think there is a concussion, but it would be best for her to go home and go to bed for awhile. Maudie is a good nurse and she can keep an eye on her," said Doc Brown.

Jake reached down to pick her up, looked at Doc Brown, and back to Lizzie Jane and asked, "Is it okay?"

"I think so," said Doc Brown. "Just be careful."

Lizzie Jane smiled and said, "Yes", reached and put her arm around Jake's neck. Jake carefully picked her up and carried her to Doc's car. He knelt in the floor by Lizzie Jane as she lay in the back seat.

"I am so sorry," Jake said.

Lizzie Jane looked up at him and quietly whispered, "Yes."

"Yes, what?" asked a surprised Jake.

"Yes, I will marry you," said Lizzie Jane. She smiled and closed her eyes. Jake tried to keep her awake, but she drifted off into a deep slumber.

"Don't let her go to sleep," ordered Doc Brown.

"I am trying to keep her awake," replied Jake, "but she is out."

"I will get her to Jed's as fast as I can. I need to examine her further," said Doc Brown as he started the car.

Lizzie Jane's deceased mother came to her again in a dream. "Lizzie Jane, I am so proud for you. This is God's will, so don't worry. Everything will work out and remember -- I will always be with you -- and your children -- and my grandchildren."

-
-
To be continued
-
-

up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

viva lizzie jane!

laika's picture

PER YOUR COMMENT ELSEWHERE: Yes I'm leaving this comment to make you "feel better", dear Billie Sue ....... But I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love these stories, and the new direction you are taking with Lizzie Jane as she grows into womanhood (which it seems comes earlier out in the sticks...). Trouble with serials, I think, is people who like a story run out of ways to say it early on, feel foolish about repeating themselves (it's funny but I'm much more eager to comment when I think of some novel/interesting observation than when I just feel that "I liked it real good" but am not sure why...); and so they hope that the author will assume they are still enthralled by the tale even when they don't say so (and I should know better too, since I'm insecure about MY last "Lizzie Jane Ripoff" receiving less than a standing ovation
{hint, hint, if anyone wants to make me feel better!}); So I hope you keep writing these, or keep
writing & submitting something, because you do have your fans, even if we can be lazy
unthoughtful bitches n' bastards at times...
~~~love, LAIKA