Young Love, Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Philip placed a couple of fingers to her lips and whispered, "Shh." Putting one bent finger under her chin, he raised her head and looked at her straight in the eyes. Their lips moved toward each other and, as they touched, Lizzie Jane became limp as the sweetness of the kiss canceled out everything around them and, once again, she was flooded with warmness and complete surrender. At that moment, she would have given into anything Philip wanted.

Young Love
A Lizzie Jane Adventure
Chapter 8
 
By Billie Sue Pilgrim

 

 

Chapter 8
-
-
Lizzie Jane stood there speechless. So, her much anticipated blind date was with Philip, the man she had despised and had never considered a likely prospect for a date.

Was this a trick Phillip managed to play on her or was it fate? She did not know, but she had promised to be nice to whoever it was, so the only thing to do was to be polite and follow through with her obligation.

Holding her head up proudly, she made her way to the living room. When Philip saw Lizzie Jane, he appeared to be shocked, but regained his composure quickly and smiled.

"Well, when they said I had a date with Elizabeth, I knew that she had to be beautiful, but, my dear, you are more lovely than I had expected. The name I heard when people referred to you was Lizzie Jane. If I may say so, I am very pleasantly surprised."

Lizzie Jane held out her hand as she thought a proper lady should and Philip kissed it as a proper gentleman. Lizzie Jane did not know why she did that, but it just seem to be the right thing at the time. Maybe it was because she was seeing herself as a lady by following through with her commitment.

Philip took her by the arm and the couple slowly walked toward the car, a white four door Cadillac with all the extras. Phillip opened the front door for Lizzie Jane. He took his place on the driver's side. Before starting the engine, he looked toward Lizzie Jane and stated, "Aren't you afraid the door might come open and you could fall out?"

Taking the hint, Lizzie Jane slid closer to Philip, turned her head toward him and smiled. She had promised to be nice and was determined to be as polite as she could be. After all, wasn't this going to be the first and last date with this rich playboy?

Carol's date, Jerry, drove up in a black 1953 Ford Sedan. Carol was pleased to see him so prompt, not wanting Lizzie Jane to arrive at the party too far ahead. She did not trust Philip with a young, innocent girl. With Jerry and Carol following close behind, Philip drove very slow, much below the speed limit.

"Emma always has a great party," mentioned Philip, beginning the conversation. "I think you will enjoy yourself."

Lizzie Jane sat speechless, not knowing what to say. Finally, she stammered, "I --I haven't been to many parties. I hope I know how to act."

Philip smiled. "I am sure that a beautiful lady like you will do all right. Besides, I will be there and try to make you feel at ease." With that statement, Philip put his arm around Lizzie Jane, driving with one hand.

Lizzie Jane felt strange, especially when Philip pulled her closer to him. It wasn't a bad feeling. Instead, Lizzie Jane felt snug and a warmness began to develop throughout her body, something she did not expect and was not prepared for. All she ever had for Philip was contempt and did not desire to become one of his trophy girlfriends. However, such thoughts had departed out the back door of her heart and now she found herself becoming captivated by this man's charm.

Emma's house was not far, so Philip wheeled the car into a parking spot in just a few minutes. The couple sat still for awhile savoring the magic moments. At least, it was "magic" for Lizzie Jane, but she had no idea how Philip felt. Was it a natural thing for him to steal a girl's heart and claim his prize without romantic desires? Was she the one in a million? Or did all the girls he date feel the same way?

Her mind was trying to tell her one thing and her heart something else. Why did things have to get so complicated? Why did fate pick him for her blind date? Did Cupid's arrow only hit one heart at a time and had to shoot twice to really bring a couple together? Suppose he missed the second time?

Finally, Lizzie Jane asked, "Don't you think we ought go in?" She thought that would be the right thing to say, but she could have stayed cuddled up to Philip all night.

Philip placed couple of fingers to her lips and whispered, "Shh." Putting one bent finger under her chin, he raised her head and looked at her straight in the eyes. Their lips moved toward each other and, as they touched, Lizzie Jane became limp as the sweetness of the kiss canceled out everything around them and, once again, she was flooded with warmness and complete surrender. At that moment, she would have given into anything Philip wanted.

After a long, lingering kiss, the couple pulled apart and faced each other. Philip spoke first, "Elizabeth, I thought I fell in love with you when I first saw you. Now, there isn't any doubt. Do you think you could love me?"

Lizzie Jane was at a loss for words. Regaining her composure, she began to be thankful that they had not gone any further. She remembered the words of Carol: "Just remember-- do not let a man take advantage of you. With a pretty girl, a man only has one thing in mind."

"I think we should go in," stated Lizzie Jane, shaking her head a little, trying to make some common sense out of all this.

"Please answer my question," pleaded Philip.

"I - I don't know. All this is so sudden. I hadn't planned --"

"Don't plan anything. Just listen to your heart. You can let me know later. At least you did not say 'No' ". Philip smiled.

The party appeared to be a complete success. Philip, well known to everyone and expressing his lively nature, introduced 'Elizabeth' to everyone. Many of the girls jealously smiled, thinking what a lucky girl Lizzie Jane must be while other girls fumed inside thinking how Philip had dropped them like a hot potato. Philip was just a rich playboy in their book and just had another fish on his line.

On the other hand, Lizzie Jane walked in a daze, confused over everything. She tried her best to be a lady, answering when someone spoke to her, polite, and very courteous in her demeanor.

Did she love Philip or was it just a passing delusion brought on my the unexpected events of the moment. Was there such a thing as 'love at first sight'? If so, why did it not affect Lizzie Jane?

The party began to break up early and the guests began to leave, agreeing that they had a wonderful time. As Philip and Lizzie Jane walked to his car, Phillip glanced at his watch and remarked, "Seems a shame to waste a night like this." He thought a moment and continued, "We have only been out for a few hours. I know a nice little restaurant where we can go and talk."

Lizzie Jane wasn't sure that she wanted to go anywhere else with Philip, but she also felt that she owed him a nice date and the hour was early in the evening.

"Okay," she replied with a smile.

Philip was correct about their destination being a nice place. When they arrived, Lizzie Jane noticed immediately that it was a small, peaceful establishment -- but a little more higher class than which she had been accustomed.

As the couple entered, a man, apparently the owner, recognized Philip and with a smile welcomed him with "Good evening, Mr. York. May I find you and the young lady a table?"

"Yes, thank you -- a quiet little place where the lady and I can talk and not be disturbed," replied Philip.

"Of course, Mr. York. I have just the table."

Philip and Lizzie Jane was led to a table in a private area. At least, there were no other customers. Beautiful white linen decorated the table that supported two large candles. In just a few moments, soft music began to fill the room from an unseen source. A waiter soon appeared fully dressed in a blue uniform with a linen towel over his arm.

"May I take your order?"

How about two nice juicy steaks?" suggested Philip. Looking at Lizzie Jane, he asked, "How do you like your steaks?"

"Well done -- no red meat showing."

"I will have mine medium rare and, the salad -- make it Italian dressing -- that is, it that is okay with the young lady."

Lizzie Jane nodded her approval. She had never eaten a salad with Italian dressing.

"And the usual wine, sir?" asked the waiter.

Philip looked at Lizzie Jane. She looked to be in her early twenties, so he answered, "Yes, please?"

After the waiter left, Philip asked, "You are over twenty-one aren't you?"

Lizzie Jane replied, "Really, I don't know. Carol thinks I am about sixteen, but even she admits that I may be quite a bit older."

Philip smiled. "Well, you can drink just one glass to be on the safe side."

Lizzie Jane smiled back. She was being treated as an adult and she enjoyed it.

"Well, let's get acquainted if you don't mind," began Philip. "I am a pre-med student, planning on being a physician some day -- not sure which field I will go into. My family has plenty of money, so I don't have to worry about that. I just need to concentrate on my studies and be the best doctor in these parts."

"I am sure you will," encouraged Lizzie Jane.

"I have met a lot of girls and brought them to this same restaurant, but I have never felt anything toward any of them as I do you. Elizabeth, you have stolen my heart. Some day I am going to marry you and we will have a houseful of kids. I will make you very happy and you shall not want for anything. I would give you the moon if someone would sell it. Now. tell me a little something about yourself."

"Well," Lizzie Jane answered. "That isn't much to tell. You see, I lost my memory and I don't remember anything until I met a truck driver who brought me to Sam's Place. So, you know about as much about me as I do about myself. Little things keep coming to my mind, but nothing about people.'

"Things like what?" asked Philip.

"Well, things like getting lost in the woods and making friends with a little deer -- spending a lot of times in the woods and learning how to climb trees and shoot a bow and arrow. I also remember that, whenever I got into some kind of trouble, my mother would always come to me in a dream and tell me that she was with me and would always be there for me. I think I am a Christian and that is why God lets my mother visit me."

"Then -- your mother is deceased?" asked Philip.

"Yes -- or I think she is. There is something in my mind about some relatives, but I don't know who they are. I have a vague memory of breaking out of some kind of home and after that is when the truck driver found me -- on the side of the road -- lost and feeling helpless."

"Could it have been some kind of home for homeless girls -- or someone that was taking care of you?" asked Philip.

"I don't know," replied Lizzie Jane. "But, I am happy now. Carol has taken me into her home and adopted me as her sister."

"And here I come along and want to adopt you as my wife," laughed Philip. "But, I guess I approached you at the wrong time. I thought you hated me."

"I didn't want anything to do with you. I never realized that you are the sweet person that you are."

"Elizabeth, I know this is sudden, but like I said, I fell in love with you at first sight. Regardless of your past, will you marry me?"

"Oh, Phillip. Surely you know it is too soon to answer that. Suppose I have a husband that I don't remember?"

"Well, if you have one, you don't love him or you would not have forgotten." He smiled.

"Philip, I think I may love you, but I am not sure. I am not sure of anything right now. Please give me some more time. Please!"

"Okay," replied Philip. "Well, you can't blame a guy for trying. I wanted to be the first to propose, just in case someone else popped up. I want you all to myself. I am very selfish and have no desire to share you."

The waiter arrived with the salads and, as the couples continued to chat, delivered the main dishes a few minutes later.

"Here's our steaks -- lets's eat," suggested Philip. "My, they look good."

**************************************************************

As Philip delivered Lizzie Jane to the door of Carol's home, one last kiss seemed to be in order. When their lips met the second time, Lizzie Jane felt like she was in Heaven and could hear the angels singing. Her whole body quivered and suddenly she became weak and her knees buckled under her. Philip caught her, held her for a minute, and asked, "Are you okay?"

"I think so. I am not sure."

With that, Philip took her up in his arms, carried her into the house, and laid her on the couch.

"I am okay now," replied Lizzie Jane. "I think it was due to all the excitment."

"..and a sign that you are in love with the greatest guy on earth -- me! I think you just discovered the kiss of love," said Philip.

Philip sat on the floor beside her, took her hand into his and gently rubbed it. Lizzie Jane felt so secure that she closed her eyes and was soon asleep. Philip, believing everything was okay, kissed her on the forehead and tiptoed out.

He met Carol on the way out and explained what happened. Carol smiled and said, "I will make sure that she is all right. She is a very sweet and innocent girl. Please don't hurt her. If you don't mean what you say, get out of her life. She couldn't take it."

"Carol," replied Philip. "Please understand that what I say is true. I love that girl with all my heart and I will never do anything to hurt her -- now or ever."

Philip got into his car and drove off. Carol stood there for awhile, pondering what was said and about Lizzie Jane. She looked toward the starry sky and prayed to a higher power that everything will work out to the good.
-
-

--To be continued
-
-
Copyright 2008 by Starla Anne Lowry
Under the pen name of Billie Sue Pilgrim

up
40 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh My, Lizzie Jane Has Now Met Prince Charming

Billie Sue, you have kept us in stitches with your cliffhangers. Your story telling is improving. You have breathed life into each character in your story, giving each one their own voice. I look forward to reading more chapters of Lizzie Jane.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Elizabeth?

laika's picture

Our little Lizzie Jane's gettin' all growed up! Good that she's being cautious, I doubt that anyone who refers to himself as "the greatest guy on Earth", is ......... But who knows? While most attempts to reform someone's character fail miserably, I bet Lizzie Jane could have a positive effect on this smooth talking heel, and without even trying, just by being her amazingly principalled self. Hope she gets her memory back soon...
~~~hugs, LAIKA

Elizabeth?

Lizzie Jane getting all grown up is unusual because, if you remember, she is only 13 years old. She looks like she could be 16 and, with makeup, can look like she is older. I haven't told Philip's age yet, but he is probably 19 or 20 since he is just out of high school and entering pre-med. In rural Alabama in the 50's, guys married girls who were 16. In ordering wine, Philip was not questioned about his age because of his social standing and it is an exclusive restaurant.

Like I have said, my stories write themselves, but how about Jake? We will see how it plays out. I don't see an ending anywhere close.

Smile,
Billie Sue Pilgrim

Billie Sue