Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1890

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1890
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Surviving Trish’s little joke, we arrived back at home and I sent the girls up to change and start their homework. I’d always had homework as a child, or prep as they sometimes called it elsewhere. Now I had some of my own to do–to decide what we did about the infected trees. It was a real dilemma; did I leave them to die off altogether and possibly spread the disease to other non-infected trees or cut them down? Oh boy.

I waited until after dinner and spoke with Tom about it, but he had no more idea than I did. The advice of the forestry chap had been to fell them, but I really wasn’t sure. Dead trees provide homes for all sorts of bugs and also places where woodpeckers live and drum. One of my favourite sounds of spring and early summer are buzzing of insects, birdsong and the drumming of woodpeckers on dead trees. Their holes–that sounds vaguely obscene–the holes excavated by woodpeckers are sometimes used by other species, including nuthatch and little owls. I hadn’t seen many little owls despite the fact they often fly during daylight, but then I had very little time to go bird-watching these days.

I made myself a cuppa and went off to my study and began doing a critical path analysis–a load of jargon for columns of for and against. Even that that didn’t help because everything seemed to balance itself, the position was no clearer. The government advice was to fell and burn the trees, but then that advice caused the unnecessary slaughter of millions of animals because of a foot and mouth scare. Unnecessary because the disease doesn’t kill the infected animals, though it does cause them to lose condition and thus value. It also causes positives in tests post slaughter, although I’d have thought that could be dealt with. Governments seem to see solutions with sledgehammers preferable to toffee hammer ones. I prefer the latter. Seems like I’m destined to be at odds with Whitehall for the future.

I checked with various websites including Natural England, and it seemed the advice was to fell the trees. Perhaps I should just go and hug a few of them and see if I could heal them? I laughed at my own silliness, then frowned when I realised my tea had gone cold.

Simon and Sammi arrived. She was in slightly lower heels than I’d last seen her in and she admitted she’d bought some new shoes with less height in the heel. I agreed she’d done the right thing. She was getting continuous pain from wearing the heels and that was easier with the lower ones. I shrugged and hoped she’d draw her own conclusions, though being a rather young woman with so little experience, I wasn’t sure what she’d decide.

“Can I have a play on your new computer after dinner, Mummy?” asked Trish, and Livvie wanted to come and play too. I wondered what they were up to–probably no good.

“Not tonight, I have things to do on it.”

Simon gave me a funny look but shook his head instead of saying anything. I asked him as a management problem how would he deal with the dilemma I had about the trees. “Cut the lot down, sell the timber and retire to the Caribbean.”

“It’s a nature reserve, not a commercial forestry area–remember you lot bought it?”

“Of course we did, I wonder if Dad used his credit card–if so we could ask for a refund.”

“From whom?”

“The credit card company.”

“I thought that was you?”

“It is.”

“Can you sue yourself?”

“I probably could, but not many others could.”

“That figures, Si.”

“That’s right, turn to insult when you can’t think of a cogent argument.”

“I have better things to do with my life, Simon, than worry about High St Bank plc versus High St Bank plc. Whatever happens, the bank will win.”

“That’s the only good thing about it.”

Now it was time for me to shake my head and return to my ivory tower. This wasn’t fair. I was dealing with real situations, not hypotheticals, I’m an academic, not a manager–I’m supposed to eschew the real world for one of what if scenarios which I’m supposed to explore with tutorial groups of intelligent students, and between us we’re supposed to come up with a solution no one had thought of before since Homo sapiens had invented sliced bread and the bicycle.

Given my usual experience of brainstorming or setting up work groups with students, I’d be just as well asking my own children or a group of dormice–their answers would likely be as useful.

What we needed was something like a virus or micro-fungus which parasitized the ash-dieback fungus. Sadly that could take years to develop, and I need to decide what I’m doing with these trees in the next month or two. I knew that systemic antifungals didn’t work, and cost a great deal of money. It needed either some sort of biological answer or some way of increasing the speed of evolution to produce immune specimens–which might require all sorts of clever dick laboratory tricks, possibly genetic engineering. Whatever the answer it’s going to take years, and we’ll have lost enormous quantities of trees of one of the most useful of species. I mean what will Morgan cars do–they use ash for making their chassis?

In the end I decided to clear the infected trees from an area of the wood and remove the timber in covered lorries and bring it to a barn here, where we’d chop it up and dry it, then burn it on the fire here or in the wood-burner in my study. You didn’t remember me having one there did you? Probably this was because I haven’t, but by the time the wood is dry enough to burn, I will have. The lorries will be disinfected after use, so minimal dispersion of the fungus will have been possible.

Once the trees have been removed we’ll wait for a year or two and replant, and see if the saplings become infected. If they do, we’ve got problems. I tried to decide where to run my experiment, based upon a survey done on the woodland some ten years before, giving approximate density of tree species. Thankfully, the major climax was oak, which tends to tower over ash, as does beech, so ash is seen as sub-climax, except in one part of the wood where it was possibly the dominant species.

I’d have to check it out with a forester and report back to the university–even though I was director, the university were the management board, and I’d have to get their approval to carry it out.

Life doesn’t seem to get any easier as I head towards my thirties and at times I wonder what I’m doing wrong or is it like this for everyone?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
229 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yes, Cathy

Life is like that for most of us.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Ashes to ashes

Greetings

Not sure about Morgan cars having chassis of Ash, more likely to be vehicle trim. Never studied one in detail, though often see some.

Thank you for continuation of the saga.

Brian

According to wiki

Angharad's picture

Morgan Aero 8

In 2000, the Morgan Aero 8 was introduced and, as always, the wooden body substructure was ash. (Contrary to popular myth, however, the chassis is metal; aluminium for the Aero 8).

We were both wrong!

Angharad

Of course ...

... a proper Morgan has 3 wheels and dirty great J.A.P. V-twin engine bolted to the front with a chain drive to the single rear wheel. The one a friend of mine had rotting in his garden was also noted for having almost no brakes - I think that partly the reason it had weeds growing through it :) This was a very, very long time ago.

There's an old hollow ash tree at the side of the rough lane we live on, about 200 metres from our gate. It looks so weak I expect it to be across the road every time the wind blows hard but it still stands and moreover appears to be unaffected by the dreaded fungus infection.

Robi

It seems a waste to burn the mature Ash trees

Julia Miller's picture

Wouldn't it be better to sell the trees to a sawmill so we could make something useful out of them? Burning wood just contributes to global warming.

The reward of doing good work

.... is always more work.

Hey, there really is no reason why she can't blue light the trees that I know of. Lack of faith maybe? Or she just does not feel the 'yank' that she should do it?

Kim

seemed like a sensible solution to me

although the bring home to use in the fireplace might be viewed as private use of university property. Probably better to burn on site although it does seem like a huge waste (and probably spreads spores in the smoke).

Alternative to burning ?

I wonder, if they used the felled trees to make paper, which involves attacling wood with aggressive chemicals, would that not destroy spores ? I can envisage how burning in situ would spread spores very effectively !

One would need to seal fallen trees in foil or plastic film and transport them so wrapped that spores were kept inside. Quite a tricky thing, safe disposal, whatever one tries.

Cant see why treating intact trees with fungicides cannot be tried.

Briar

it's called...

It's called rewarding good work - with MORE work. :-)

Si was back to his minimally helpful self... The guy goes up and down, doesn't he...

Thanks,
Annette

Remove them with a chopper.

You know, one of those helio ones and then drop them in the Ocean. That should be steril enough.

G

CUTTING EDGE

First not what you think.

This is an opportunity to work out some new methods of handling this problem. Turn the whole project into an exploration using the scientific method.
1 select each subject according to position in the stand, condition of the tree, etc etc.
2 Cull the worst. using the standard methods proscribed by the government. But work on better containment, see next.
3 On the better trees trim what is the most effected , using a shipping container as containment of both chipper and product chip the slash and experiment on what can kill the fungus and spores. Heat. PH, methane composting, alcohol distilling. Use the rest as a fuel to heat the nature center
4 Does localized heat kill the fungus.

None of this is meant to be a huge size or expense, bur with some English ingenuity and some Scottish engineering a bit or Welsh commonsense add a dash of Irish humor and a method could be sorted out,
I would think that a cooperative effort could be set up on a small scale to expand what is known.
There may be something in the natural world like what eats fungus that has not been envisioned yet.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Maybe life

does not get easier s you grow older, marriage, mortgage, children and all the other assorted responsibilities see to that, Add into that mix that fact thats your body starts to get older lines and wrinkles appear in places you would much rather they didn't and you can see why most of us hate getting older... Sadly science has not yet found the key to ageing ,Maybe one day they might, Who knows, , But you doubt it will be any time soon.... So in the absence of a youth pill all we can do is use life's lessons in positive way ... And not make the same silly mistakes a second time...

Kirri

Winners

Simon is wrong if the bank sues itself then the bank wins no matter what. The only winners are the lawyers on both sides.

Rose

Rose