Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1805

Printer-friendly version
The Trafalgar News.
(aka Bike)
Part 1805
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
800px-Trafalgar-Auguste_Mayer_0.jpg

Picture: Trafalgar by Auguste Mayer courtesy of wikipedia

The doctor ummed and ahhed, but in the end because I was a voluntary patient, he had to let me go, charging Simon with my safety. I’d already promised Simon that I wouldn’t try anything silly again. I didn’t explain how I escaped the room–just in case I need to do it again sometime. Instead I told him some cock and bull story about walking through walls. The doctor accused me of being either very clever or mad. Simon assured him that I wasn’t mad–not in the biblical sense–whatever that meant. I could only assume he meant the story of Legion who had his devils cast out.

I prefer exercise to exorcise, so I’ll keep my demons fit instead.

We chatted on the drive home–again in my car. I said nothing wondering if his had broken down or met with a mishap but I could wait until we got home to find out. Heading back to Portsmouth I asked Simon if he would indulge me.

“What d’you mean by indulge? Buy you something, you mean?”

“We might have to pay some money.”

“How much?”

“I have no idea, but I shouldn’t think it would be more than forty or fifty pounds.”

“Okay,” he said looking suspiciously at me.

“Might we go home via Stubbington?”

“Where’s that?”

“The other side of Gosport, south of Titchfield.”

“As in thunderbolt?”

“The Gosport Thunderbolt? Was there a lightning strike there then?”

“No you nit, there was a film called The TItchfield Thunderbolt.”

“I’ll take your word for it.” Well how was I to know?

“We saw it in school.”

By the time he’d finished telling me about this film in great detail we were passing through Gosport and not long after we were near Stubbington.

“Why are we coming here?”

“Ah, there–that’s where we need to go.” I pointed to a sign for the RSPCA animal shelter.

“This hasn’t got something to do with a cat, has it?”

I blushed and said, “It might do.” He shook his head but drove me to the Ark, as it’s called.

A little later we were looking round loads of cats and dogs–I wanted to take them all home. However, sanity prevailed and we eventually went home with a black and white kitten–one who looked like she had a dinner suit on with white gloves and socks–just like the one I saw and cuddled on the roof.

We had to provide details of address and prove it–fortunately Simon had his driving licence with him. We bought a whole pile of cat stuff from a carry basket to a bed and toys and kitten food.

Simon seemed disappointed that they didn’t have any lions or tigers to eat any trespassers. I did point out to him that it was somewhat illegal to have dangerous animals loose in the garden.

“They’d only be dangerous to intruders.”

“What would they eat if we had no intruders?”

“Well that would do as an entree,” he nodded at the basket on my lap which was making little squeaking noises every so often.

“You horrible man, this is my latest baby–the girls will absolutely love her.”

“I could never understand why Tom didn’t have a cat–most farms have them.”

“He’s had two, but they got run over.”

“So what’s to stop this one doing the same?”

“I’ll get Trish to teach her the green cross code–you know look left look right...”

“Yeah, look left and right and then bolt across whether it’s clear or not–splat. Right, kitten?”

“Take no notice of your silly daddy, he’s quite nice really.”

“I hate to say it, babes, but I can smell pat’s kiss.”

“I think I can feel it,” I put my hand under the basket and there was a wet patch.

“Well, I’m glad this is your car not mine.” At times Simon could be perfectly beastly and I was tempted to rub my wet hand on his jacket–but I’d have to get it cleaned so I didn’t bother. He pulled into a lay-by and I found a newspaper to put under the basket which soaked up any excess fluid.

When we got home, as soon as the car entered the driveway we had a welcoming party. They couldn’t understand why I asked them to keep quiet because they all wanted to squeal and shout and the kids were just as bad.

When I revealed the kitten–the girls squealed and I’m sure the poor little thing must have been close to a heart attack. Cats have phenomenal hearing, being designed for hunting small furry things which make very high pitched squeaks. I knew one which could hear a tin of tuna being opened five miles away, which exceeds my own ability to hear one a street away. I think my whole body is made up of a combination of oestrogen and tuna with the odd piece of toast filling in the gaps. My blood group is Earl Grey as opposed to the Royal family who run on Gordon’s gin–and the main reason they’re buried rather than cremated–they’d risk burning the crematorium down.

“What’s her name?” asked Meems while Trish ran off with the terrified feline in the basket.

“I haven’t decided yet, sweetheart.”

“Can we caw her Wooby-woo?”

“I think you might have problems with that, Meems.”

“No I won’t,” she said and stumped off in high dudgeon.

“What are you going to call it?” asked Stella as Simon got my bag from the car.

“I think, something like, Sprite.”

“Like the soft drink?”

“Um, maybe not. What about Blackberry?”

“We’d never know if you were calling the cat or looking for your phone.” Stella obviously wasn’t impressed by the names I considered.

“Bramble?”

“Better–especially as when she’s finished playing with us we’ll look as if we’ve been rolling in brambles.”

Just then Kiki came dashing out with her nose all scratched and she wouldn’t go back into the kitchen for love nor money.

“Godzilla might be appropriate,” smirked Stella as we went in expecting to see scratched bodies everywhere, instead the little monster was drinking milk from a saucer.

“No more of that today, it gives them diarrhoea,” I said loudly.

“But, Mummy, she was thirsty,” wailed Trish.

“Her name is Bramble, I just decided.”

“Good choice,” agreed Sammi, but Trish gave me a dismissive look as she’d obviously thought of something else. I decided I wasn’t giving in to her this time.

We found a place by the back door for her litter tray, and Simon had the dubious privilege of opening the grit they use and filling said tray.

For the next half an hour we watched as the little minx rushed about the place pursued by five or six girls, rolling silver paper balls or some of the toys we bought. Then as only kittens do, she flopped down and slept with her head inside one of Simon’s gardening shoes. Enough to anaesthetise almost any cat.

While Bramble kept the kids amused, Stella and David asked how I was–presumably comparing my version of things against what Simon had said. Then it was time for lunch and David had made a pot of beautiful tomato soup and some homemade bread–bliss.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
238 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The new kitten

well, Kiki will learn, and perhaps the two will become playmates after a fashion.

The kitten appears to be exactly what the entire family needs at this point, and the closeness of color to the
'ghost' cat may be the 'cat'ylist to get Cathy thinking about the Shekinah Glory.

Good story, Bonzi and Iz, but I have to wonder, as others have, why not a black cat like you?
Hmmm. Black and White...Bad and Good....Bad Shekinah, Shekinah Glory.....

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Anybody care to guess

Angharad's picture

why the one off change of name?

Angharad

Angharad

Nice link

to a date not every briton would know much about Angharad. I did read not so long ago there was a move afoot to have a bank holiday for the Battle of Trafalgar which if it took place in the month that the battle happened would be good, Its a long time from August to December without a public holiday so something centered around the week of October 21st would make for nice break from dreary winter weather...

Kirri

PS

The link of course was the year of the battle which if no one had guessed is the same as the episode number..

Just a shot...

Andrea Lena's picture

...according to Wikipedia, the HMS Lord Nelson was launched on this day in 1906?


Desperate affairs require desperate measures?

Rule-Britannia-great-britain-6273205-645-422.jpg
Rule Britannia?

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Something is Wrong !

Dear Andrea,

this flag is NOT the Union Jack. If you turn this one upside down it looks the same, but if you use a REAL one people can tell it is upside down. This was used during Great Britain's Great and Glorious but aggressive past, as a way of signalling distress or requesting assistance, known only to true Brits, and a few interlopers like me !

Briar

Apologies

Sorry, I was wrong. I rotated it 180 degrees, but if instead visualized it in 3D and just turned it upside down. it does look upside down. The attachments to the rope holding it to the mast are on only the left in your pic so my rotating it is not the way it could be done.

Briar

Well, it's not the date.

The Battle Of Trafalgar was 21 October 1805. Which makes me wonder if there was time for This battle and the Napoleonic wars, 1803-1815, then how was there time for the American War of 1812, weren't you blokes already pretty busy?

Perhaps Simon might get to

Perhaps Simon might get to visit a certain American building in Chapter 1814. Knowing the bad luck that seems to strike at any time, a fire whilst he was there would be apt.

Battle of Trafalgar

The British naval victory by Admiral Sir Horatio Nelson occured on 21st October 1805, and is hardly relevant as a name change for this day.
However the year is the same as this episode of EAFOAB, maybe that is the reason.

poppykin

It's the year

And the same reason why episode 1,066 included a family visit to Hastings...

(Makes mental note to organise himself to work some more on the Bike Wiki)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Trafalgar!

:-D Good one! Trafalgar...1805.

Anyhoo, it's just as well the kitten has established a boundary. However, poor Kiki! He was just curious, no doubt trying to say hello. Then, this horrid monster attacks him, driving him from his ancient manse, domain and fiefdom. And, what will Tom say, when his dog won't come into the house?

Hopefully, as in most situations like this, they will become more friendly, and, perhaps, even get to like each other.

Then, comes the ultimate problem. Upon whose bed will the kitten sleep? They never seem to like the nice, comfy-looking cat bed we buy for them. Instead, they find a nice warm person, and curl up in the crook of their knees. Then, they complain when the proprietor of said appendages attempts to roll over upon them.

Welcome to life with a cat.

And, welcome home, Cathy. We're all pleased that you made it through a difficult time in your life. Now, don't do anything stupid!

Red MacDonald

Hoping Cathy finds the cat

satisfying... but did she really feel the need to mother another creature? Or did she feel a compulsion to go rescue that particular kitten?

England expects...

every woman to do her duty.

And you do it wonderfully. It is a part of every night for me to log in and read bike. I dont know what I would do if you would ever stop.

Keep those electrons flowing!

I wish I could give three

I wish I could give three Kudos:
One for the chapter as a whole.
One for the kitten, who I am sure will be a fun new character.
And one for the 1805 <-> Trafalgar connection. Even this colonial, with a poor education in European history, got that one.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

stubbington Ark

it must be about 2 miles from where I live.
About 8 years or so ago my wife and I got a 3 year old ginger cat from there with a very short dumpy tail.
he was called Ollie.
unfortunetly about 4 years later he got run over by a car.
I still miss him and after reading this I might go back to the Ark and get another Cat.