Game Theory 1.38 - 1.39

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

Child

Story:

***

It would be nice to say that all the hate and anger I — apparently — still feel for Tim Manor was purged away, all into that little lead jar where I know he can never hurt me again.

It’s not true.

I had let it go. I thought I had, but there it is, infecting my brain now as strongly as it ever did, even though all the charms have been removed. I hate feeling like this. All the memories of helplessness, of humiliating myself by letting him win all the time, by lashing out stupidly instead of just ignoring him like people said I should, like it was easy to do that. People can be so stupid.

When I left secondary school I put Tim Manor in a little box and locked it tight and hid it away. Now I’ve opened it again. All the shit he made me feel about myself, all the hate I learned how to feel, and I never once understood why he did it. As far as I can tell it was just malice. It’s incomprehensible. I’ve never experienced anything like it since getting out of that school, giving the lie to all those stupid fuckers who say school (read: ‘bullies’) ‘prepare you for the real world.’ My experience has been that in the real world you don’t find malice like that. Even if abuse and cruelty can be called preparation and training, instead of doing the damage from which the morons say it inoculates you, it would be superfluous.

I want to put him away again, in that little lead jar. I want to melt it down into slag with all the bloody charms still in it, and drop it in the deepest ocean trench. But he’s not in that jar. That was just a fiction, to get the charms out of my flesh, a way to tap the wellspring of hate he opened in me. He’s still here, in my head. I have to put him away again, somehow. I’m not going to let him poison me here.

I’m not.

I’m a child.

The ship dips and rises in the water. In the harbour the movement is so gentle you might miss it, but it’s there. I remember that the last charm came out about an hour after the first, I think. I fainted afterwards and I woke up here, back in my cot, in between clean muslin sheets and wearing a clean long light tunic.

I’m a child.

Restless, I sit up and look at my bandaged hands. I can move my fingers inside the bandage slightly, and I have the use of my left thumb. There’s some pain, but it’s an ordinary sort of pain, as wounds are flexed and bandage-material tugs against flesh. I’d have complained about it before, but in comparison to the searing, nerve-spiking pain when the charms were embedded there it’s actually a relief. These are ordinary wounds.

I figure out where the catch is and open the side of the cot so I can swing my legs out and stand up. I can open the cupboard with my clothes in. I catch sight of my face in the tall mirror on the inside of the door.

Mirrors are rare in Jeodin; not because they’re magical, like in certain books I’ve read; simply because they’re expensive and difficult to make well. Even this one has slight concentric arcs of distortion, cut as it was from a large disc of blown glass, and a slight golden tint. That information just bubbles up at random. This is the first time I’ve really had a chance to use a full-length mirror.

I stand for a full minute, studying my face. It’s a little chubby, like a teenager’s. The proportions are just off the human norm. Just a little anime, I decide. The eyes are weird, looking at them close-up, like the eyeballs are slightly magnified behind my eyelids. A small triangular chin and a faintly forward-jutting face. Not unpleasant, but ever so slightly not quite human, and definitely a little childlike. ‘Chibi,’ Kerilas said once. I can kind of see his point. I turn my head and push my hair back behind my ear so I can see it. The little point towards the top and back. When I see it I still irrationally expect it to be latex and have to touch it to be sure, to feel the edge of my fingernail right to the sensitive tip.

I take a step back and grab the back of my tunic with my better hand, between the thumb and the bandage, and bend over to pull the tunic off over my head. I stand up straight to look at myself, naked in the mirror. Now I can see it. If it was human I would say it was the body of a slightly underweight girl of thirteen or fourteen at the most. Hairless, lean, narrow-hipped, small-breasted, but still an unmistakeably developing female figure. I look with a curious dual awareness: I don’t know if this is voyeuristic of me, or if this is my body and I have every right to be familiar with it. I don’t know which point of view is mine any more.

***

“I don’t want you to see him,” Fareis says bluntly. We’re sitting in her cabin. The stern windows and the view beyond of the harbour are arrayed behind her.

“Satthei, with respect, I’m not asking for permission,” I say, and get a sharp gaze back for it, but she doesn’t immediately dispute it. “I’m grateful to you for helping me, but I haven’t accepted your suits for me to join this ship,” I remind her. I’m trying to be very proper and calm and grown-up, and just hope it doesn’t make me seem even more ridiculous. I sit prim and upright across from her in the smartest day dress I own — a gift from her of course. It took me an age to get it on with bandaged and hurting hands, but I wanted to prove I could do it by myself. “I wanted to talk about this with you because it seems only polite to do so, and because I value your counsel, but my mind is made up.”

I’ve made her eyebrow lift. Not a bad reaction to get from someone who’s been witness to the rise and fall of empires.

“What counsel?” she asks.

“I understand Reki did something horrible a long time ago,” I say. “I’m afraid my memory isn’t intact; if I was ever taught it, I’ve forgotten. Something involving human children? Would you please tell me what they did that makes people hate them so much?”

“Ah.” She nods slowly and then she tells me what happened seven centuries earlier, halfway across the world. And I have no difficulty agreeing with her that it was terrible, hateful, pitiful. And yet, nothing I hear is beyond what I know humans have committed against their own children, in my world, except perhaps in the use of magic.

I say nothing of this. I think it might be beyond imagining in this world that humans could do such things. Instead I say, “What part did Kerilas play in that?”

“None, surely. That nest was exterminated.”

“All of them?”

“Down to the last infant,” she says, without even a flicker of irony. “I know what you’re thinking. No Reki alive today can justly be held responsible for that crime, even by ancestry. That is precisely why every last infant was destroyed. Now? Six hundred and thirty eight Reki live freely in Jeodin and have caused no trouble that’s come to my attention.”

“Six hundred and thirty eight? That’s… precise.”

Fareis smiles thinly. “They are observed. For the most part they are orphans of the Jeodine Founding War and raised by a Neri Satthei, or the descendants of those orphans, and have never had contact with what passes for Reki society. I know your Satthei raised a Reki female many years ago, long before you were born.” She smiles again, a little more warmly.

“It’s an experiment,” I realise aloud. They want to know if the Reki’s propensity for evil is inherent or cultural.

She nods. “And so far we are encouraged. You must learn to be a little less quick to to judge, Taniel. As for Kerilas… He would have made six hundred and thirty nine. Don’t forget, he did turn himself in and confess to Jalese’s murder.”

“Satthei, I haven’t forgotten; that’s precisely why I have to speak to him. I know he didn’t do it. I must learn from him why he confessed. Aren’t you curious about that yourself? Surely it matters to you if the wrong person is punished and the one who really did it gets away with it?”

“I have nothing to do with shoreside justice.”

“Satthei, you can’t avoid it,” I say. “If you dropped Port Denhall from your trading route it would fall to destitution. That makes everyone who lives here eager to make sure you get what you want as long as you’re here. And you want me. There are people who saw the gifts Deidas brought for me. And there are people who heard me say I wouldn’t go with you if it would mean leaving my friends. Now one of them’s dead, another’s facing execution, the third ran away and the fourth’s gone after him and neither of them have been seen since, and suddenly I’m alone, aren’t I?”

I’ve truly managed to surprise her, I think. “I wouldn’t penalise Denhall if you refused,” she says, sounding shocked. “There’s no logic to that.”

I shrug. “Humans are foolish,” I say.

Fareis thinks for a long moment.

“I will send Deidas with you,” she says, and I know I’ve won.

“All right,” I agree, reminding her I have a choice about that.

“And while you’re there, you can deliver your own apology to the harbourmaster for your conduct last night,” she adds. She had to put that in.

“Yes, I’ll do that,” I say.

“It sits ill with me to allow this,” she says. “I don’t like the thought of you in his presence.”

“That’s because you think he induced me,” I challenge.

She nods.

“Why do you think it was him and not someone else?”

“Because you are Bound to him.”

“He’s my friend,” I say. “That’s all. We escaped from the slavers together. There’s no Binding.”

She shakes her head. She doesn’t believe it.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
31 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I am afraid

Breanna Ramsey's picture

I'm afraid Taniel may find out more than she wants to know from Kerilas. Despite that fear, I can't wait to see what happens!

Scott

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of--but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.

Lazarus Long
Robert A. Heinlein's 'Time Enoough for Love'

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Agh, foiled again

You stole my first comment place, I'm going to cry now :D

No Binding?

All this talking about Taniel being induced and bound (whateve that is) by Kerilas reminds me of some of the comments he made when he first revealed his character was evil. I wonder what he was going to say before he cut those short.

I Think Kerilas

... may be hiding some feelings welled about Paul being Taniel. Unable to resist how well Taniel reacts and handles herself, is alluring to Kerilas. Whether Kerilas has more to do with what is going on or not i do not know. I do know he is holding back certain feelings for Taniel. It is there.

I do know Fareis disturbs me greatly as she presumes too much and doesnt do a simple mind probe to know that Taniel is not really Taniel. Magic can do many wonders - why she hasn't done that is beyond me. Fareis seems determined to control Taniel for reasons i not yet know. But Taniel is feeling the trappings that come with femininity where others seek to clamp some control over them. It is just a fact of life.

Very good chapter Rachel. It is very interesting and despite what you say about it, I find it very good :)

Sephrena Miller

Thanks, Sephrena!

I got both things I've been looking for in one chapter. I've been waiting to see if anybody else was suspicious of Fareis and her motives in all this, and now it's been introduced in the chapter and commented on. I was beginning to wonder if I was too suspicious of her motives, but I'm glad somebody else has been wondering. Hmmmm, did Kerilas really confess, or did a little elven magic do it for him?

Karen J.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Not sure about Fareis

Breanna Ramsey's picture

It's obvious she knows a lot about Taniel that she so far hasn't volunteered. Maybe Tani is from an influential family or something.

As for Kerilas, remember this from 1.18:

“I know you’d never hurt anyone,” I say.

“I think I already have.”

And he looks at me; the briefest of glances, but enough that my stomach lurches.

That Kerilas has genuine feelings for Taniel I don't think is in question. Whether they go beyond friendship remains to be seen. Either way though, if he did what I suspect he might have, his confession is pretty easy to understand.

Scott

PS - If Genomorph 2 is delayed it's all Karen's fault - she made me buy a book!

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of--but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.

Lazarus Long
Robert A. Heinlein's 'Time Enoough for Love'

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

That quote

That quote is what makes me think that Faeris (however much I might dislike the overbearing old fart) might be right when she assumes that Kerilas is the one that induced Taniel.

More!

Don't mind me. I'm just waiting for more. There are so many levels to this that I am just starting to see them. Great Stuff!
grover-

Thing is...

Kerilas may well have induced, bound or done whatever to Taniel. If whatever happened before the RPGers joined this continuity, perhaps James would not or could not have done what he is suppoed to have done, what he confessed to doing. But the RPGers are new to the whole place...

Looking forward to more.

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja