Game Theory 1.03

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

Or he might trigger an evil curse

Story:

***

“One for each person who’s having a cup, and one for the pot.”

“Yeah, I know. I remember that bit.”

This is so embarrassing. Simon is standing over me while I make the tea. And I do mean over me. I feel like a slow-witted child.

“Now, get the mugs–”

“I know! Jesus.”

“Just remember to pour the water into the teapot while it’s actually boiling this time.”

I’ve got half an ear on proceedings out in the main part of the hall. Dave is boring everyone including the DM (which is always a bad idea) by trying out everything he knows as a gamer to see if the big shiny sword he picked up in the battle last session is magical or not. Things his typical combat-monster character could never know. I can tell from Ken’s expression that this is not a good way to get XP, but he’s probably only letting it go on because he’s waiting for the tea before actually starting, and probably finds it mildly amusing to lead Dave around a bit with little hints and instructions to roll D20, that he might be on to something. I don’t know why Dave never gets this. There are two possibilities: the sword is magical, and Ken made a secret detect magic roll on Dave’s behalf that failed, or it’s not magic and the secret roll was actually fake. Either way, he’s not going to find out anything useful going at it like this.

Or he might trigger an evil curse that’ll blight the rest of that character’s brief but event-filled life. That’s entirely possible, when Ken’s DMing. And things like that are always happening to Dave’s characters. Roll-play doesn’t get well rewarded here.

“Kettle’s boiling,” Simon points out.

“Right.” I pick it up off the stand and, as instructed, pour straight into the teapot. “How much?”

Simon is looming over it. He glides around the church hall’s small kitchen like a ghost. “Keep going… That much.”

I put the lid on the pot. “How long do we wait?”

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tea

Sadarsa's picture

English style tea huh? Never made it like that, i've always made iced tea where you boil the water with like 3 tea bags and then pour it into a picture where you finish it up just like you would a picture Kool-aide.

...also, im shocked to have found such an old story on this site that i haven't already read.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Glossary needed

Rachel, for those of us not into role-playing games, could you please append a glossary to these stories? Stuff like XP (Windows?), DM, D20, secret rolls, roll-play; all that might as well be Sanskrit to me.

Thanks,
Karen J.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Mini Glossary

Rachel Greenham's picture
XP
eXperience Points: An attempt to model the effect of learning experience on the characters
DM
Dungeon Master. That name is specific to Dungeons and Dragons (or Advanced D&D); more generically: GM for Game Master. The player running the game.
D20
A 20-sided dice, used for most skill rolls in AD&D. Dice for role-playing come with 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 20 sides and are called D4, D6, D8... etc. Rarely seen is an actual D100 for percentile rolls. I imagine it looks like a faceted ball. Normall "D100" rolls are made by rolling two D10s, one of which is marked red and which will represent tens.
roll-play
Disparaging term for a way of playing that's more concerned with the mechanics and rule-following than with the spirit of role playing. Rules lawyers, etc. The 'roll' is for the roll of the dice.