Game Theory 1.13

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

Bloody sea elves.

Story:

***

The following morning we are all more than rested and starting to understand what ‘cabin fever’ means. Lotan… Dave had managed to spear a couple of fairly large fish with a boat harpoon in the night, so we had one of them barbecued for breakfast, which Jalese managed to make into something interesting with the dried fruit and some tangy spices and sweet potato she found in the small food store. It was delicious, and we were hungry. I was very hungry. I’d missed out on the sausages.

So after breakfast I head up on deck with Lee and James while Dave crashes out on his bunk after sitting the night watch, and Jalese starts the process of filleting and curing the other fish. I get to play captain, this time, yelling out instructions to the other two to raise the gaff and open the sail, get the anchor up and the sail unfurled and… about halfway through I find I’ve switched to Jeodine because I can explain what I want better, and they get on and do it, and within a few minutes we’re under way. We have to sail quite close to the wind for this gaff rig. The feeling as the sail suddenly fills and the rigging takes up the strain and the whole vessel tightens and banks, making us dive to the other side of the cockpit to counterbalance it, is exhilarating. I can almost feel the patterns of air pressure sucking our little boat forward. I can see it in Samila’s and Kerilas’s faces too. Samila — Lee looks the happiest I’ve seen her since we came here, enjoying the speed and the wind in her hair. I show her the ropes — literally — letting her have the tiller and the boom line or whatever it’s called in English so she can feel how the boat handles. I don’t think she has any residual memory of sailing a boat the way I have, so this is new. I look at Samila’s face again; ethnically, she’s not of Jeodin, I can recognise now: She’s a mainlander.

“How do you know which direction to go?” she yells in my ear.

“I’m not sure,” I reply honestly. “I just do. I know we have to go South-South-West. We might miss some of the islands in the Tail, but we’ll hit the central archipelago no problem.”

“But there’s no compass or maps or anything!”

“I know. I can just tell. North is…” I close my eyes a moment and point. “That way.” I open my eyes. I’m pointing off the starboard stern.

“Bloody sea elves,” she says, disconcertingly with Lee’s usual grin.

“Let the line out a little, you’re heading too far to starboard. Just ease it out a bit.”

She obeys, getting the feel of it. “Yeah, I see.”

“This is a good wind,” I declare. I wonder how long our luck is going to last. I watch Kerilas for a while, satisfied that Samila’s keeping course. Kerilas stands at the bow, disdaining any hand-hold, which seems reckless to me, but he seems the embodiment of grace and poise. I consider that he may be testing precisely that.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
48 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Elves!

Argh! Not long enough! I thought that maybe another line was needed explaining that since Falcon maybe on this world the missing player maybe too. Great set of chapters!
hugs
grover-

Continuity is Interrupted

because of the lengths of each chapter. Too little is said and the scenes fluctuate wildly. Is confusing I suppose for some people. Please remember this is a project Rachel started and is not a normal story. Her purpose is to guage reactions. It is very good you say something. I had to wait until some one respond before I would, as I should not be first one comment all time. I like Rachel's work.

My opinion of this project, the way it is set up,is... it is different. It was intended to. I am used to nice long stories in the 200kb - 780 kb html doc size. I am not to sure how a story chopped into small bites as just words with scenes change so often compare to a comic strip. I will need time to adjust to this project. I want to give my gut instinct time to settle and see if change. Right now, I am lean to like long continuous stories. But that is me. Comic strips provide visuals that cue us in fast to what we are wanting to see. Words take a little bit longer, and scenes take longer still to describe. The big difference I see is in the caring. A reader of a story likes to savor and enjoy the product. A comic is designed for speed reading of a sort. Visuals are the main thing, the few word bubbles are secondary.

I will give Rachel's project a chance. That is my opinion now. I will see how it is later :)

*hugs*

Sephrena Miller

Another benefit of short installments...

Rachel Greenham's picture

... are that it gives me a chance to fix things. I've just been reading ahead, and what will be 1.19 is, uh, a bit pants. There's a couple of nice bits in it, but the rest is a bit of a waste of space, and something important happens but it's so far in the background you might miss it.

So now I have a few days - despite this flu I have right now - to fix it. Somehow.

Ummm...

But you see, if I'd put it all out at once you'd have definitely got the bad version.

Priorities

Rachel, health first, stories second! Of course, there are some who might think my priorities are backwards. ;)

Karen J.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Oops!

No complaints, just explaining from the readers POV! Of course health first! If the story has to wait, it waits. End of line! This is good stuff well worth waiting to get right. I guess we're just a bunch of kids saying,"Is it done yet?" No "Is it done yet?" NO "Is it done yet?" NO! LOL! forgive us?
Hugs!
grover-