The Other Side Of Dreams Chapters 6 - 7

Printer-friendly version

The Other Side Of Dreams

By Tanya Allan

Take two young people: - John in England and Amy in California. Take a common factor: - both recognised that they had been born into the wrong gender. As they grow up, they realise that their bodies are in imminent danger of changing into something neither wants.
 
Result: - Two very unhappy souls.
 
Their dreams are the only place they can find solace. Then they start to dream of each other, and to get a little glimpse of the other’s life. Over time they learn how to crossover at will and not just when asleep. They start to leave childhood behind as puberty beckons. The lines become blurred, who is where?
 
Solution: - One of them takes the bold step and suggests they try to live each other’s lives. Will it work?
 
Find out……………………….
 

Tanya's Book Shop where she is selling her works in book form is at http://tanyaallan.authorshaunt.com/shop.php . Please Visit!


Originally written in 2006 - never posted, Reworked & Revised in 2009.
 
I have Dedicated this story to Sephrena Miller, for all of her help and guidance... May all her dreams come true!

 
The Legal Stuff:The Other Side Of Dreams  ©2006, 2009 Tanya Allan
 
This work is the property of the author, and the author retains full copyright in relation to printed material, whether on paper or electronically. Any adaptation of the whole or part of the material for broadcast by radio, TV, or for stage plays or film, is the right of the author unless negotiated through legal contract. Any commercial use by anyone other than the author is strictly prohibited.
 
This work is fictitious, and any similarities to any persons, alive or dead, are purely coincidental. Mention is made of persons in public life only for the purposes of realism, and for that reason alone. Certain licence is taken in respect of medical procedures, terms and conditions, and the author does not claim to be the fount of all knowledge.
 
The author accepts the right of the individual to hold his/her (or whatever) own political, religious and social views, and there is no intention to deliberately offend anyone. If you wish to take offence, that is your problem.

 
This is only a story, and it contains adult material, which includes sex and intimate descriptive details pertaining to genitalia. If this is likely to offend, then don’t read it.
 
 
Chapter 6
 
 
It was a large white cake with a pink ribbon around it, adorned with thirteen pink and white striped candles.

Happy 13th Birthday AMY!” was written in beautiful script in red icing sugar on the top.

Amy grinned but went bright red as everyone sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to her and then she blew the candles out in one large puff.

“Make a wish, Honey,” said her mother, so she shut her eyes and smiled.

It was an easy wish, to simply stay as Amy for the rest of her life.

It was her third birthday ‘away from home’, so she had almost forgotten what it had been like as John. A lot had happened in the three years. In particular, she had changed considerably.

When she was eleven, she suddenly started to shoot up, so now was about five foot six. Her figure continued to develop and she was the first in her year to menstruate.

That day had not exactly been her favourite, so ever since she shudders whenever she recalls the events.

Typically, she had been at school and had been feeling a little lethargic and bloated for a day or so. They were on the sports field playing softball when she felt stomach cramps come on. Strangely enough she was quite good at sports, as the level of expectation was different, as were the types of sport. She didn’t want to let her team down, so she had struggled through.

After the game, she was having a shower when one of the other girls started screaming.

“You’re cut. Look at the blood!” Melanie shrieked.

Amy looked down and almost fainted.

Fortunately, one of the coaches was present, so she immediately knew what had happened. She wrapped Amy up in a towel and managed to sort her out.

When she got home, she found that the school nurse had called her mother, as a result Helen felt really guilty that she hadn’t prepared Amy properly.

They had had a mom/daughter chat, in which Amy was introduced to the harsh realities of womanhood.

“So I get this for the rest of my life, huh?”

“Well, almost, certainly until you are fifty-five or so. It’s the price we pay for being allowed to be women. Otherwise we’d be men, and would that be just awful?” Helen said, joking.

Amy had smiled weakly. “I guess,” she said.

“Is it very sore?” Helen asked. She herself was quite fortunate with a light period and little or no discomfort. She knew, however, that many women went through hell each and every month.

“Not sore, just heavy and uncomfortable. I feel kinda bloated and sweaty,” Amy said, trying to describe how she felt. “I feel dirty, somehow, is that right?”

“Honey, it’s the fact the body is getting rid of the lining to the womb, so it’s all bloody and yucky. I guess it’s just something you get used to. I’m sorry, but we never get a choice about these things. I was planning to tell you, but you sort of beat me to it. I’m so sorry.”

Amy smiled. For she had been given the choice and she would still make the same choice today, even now that she knew about periods.

That was in the past, almost two years ago now, so she opened her eyes again after making her birthday wish.

The room was full of her friends, the majority of whom were girls, but there were several boys, notably Paul, who despite not really finding as much in common with this Amy as the last one, he was still one of her best friends.

As he looked at the very pretty teenager making her wish, he was full of conflicting emotions. She was wearing a pale blue denim skirt and a pretty red and cream top. With her make up she looked nearer fifteen and her hair was shining, looking absolutely gorgeous.

On the one hand, he missed the old Amy, the tomboy. This Amy was too girly for him, or had been until quite recently!

Over the last few months, he had become very aware that she was no longer a little girl but a young woman, with a body that went in and out in strange places. He also knew that when she smiled at him, he felt a funny feeling in his tummy and he liked hearing her laugh.

He had always known that Amy was what grow-ups called pretty, but now he understood what they meant. She was by far the best looking babe in their year, and judging by the other years at high School, that went for the one above and below as well.

Nothing was ever said and no one thought to question the situation, but everyone assumed that Paul was Amy’s boyfriend. They seemed to always be together, as they almost lived in each other’s homes.

Paul’s mother, Sue, was another person who was surprised by the change in Amy, often remarking about it to Helen. Most of these remarks began with, “I just can’t believe..”

Paul had given Amy a bracelet for her birthday. She was opening the presents as he watched. In the pile, was a mysterious package from England, but Paul knew from whom it had been sent. He also knew that John and Amy were constantly in touch with each other, even now some three years later.

He felt an unfamiliar pang of jealousy, but then experienced guilt for feeling jealous. He knew that the pair of them had something special between them, as they had to keep in touch in order to get through the deception game they played.

He also knew that the need to keep in touch was less now than at first, yet they actually liked the contact and needed each other to be there. He wondered how the real Amy would fare if she had to return to being this young beauty. He grinned as he thought of her reaction, shaking his head. Perhaps it was just as well she wasn’t going through this, as she’d just hate what this girl had become.

He imagined the same would happen if John was forced to return to England. Paul imagined him suddenly returning in the middle of an important game of soccer and throwing a complete fit.

Raul nodded quietly to himself. Yes, things were probably for the best. He wondered if they were going to be able to remain like this or whether they would have to return.

Amy was opening his present. She took it out of the box and put it on her wrist.

“Paul, it’s gorgeous!” she said and, before he knew what was happening, she flung her arms around his neck and kissed him on the lips.

“Thanks!” she said, while the others cheered and catcalled.

Paul went bright red, but felt inordinately pleased for some reason.

Amy’s Dad grinned from behind the large video camera, and Helen was so proud of her very attractive teenaged daughter. Now the same height as she and filling out very nicely, Amy was becoming very beautiful. However, much to Helen’s delight, the girl was neither vain nor haughty with it.

She had seen lots of teenagers who blossomed into pretty girls who had used their looks to such an extent that they became shallow and petty minded. Amy was neither, retaining her sense of fun and down to earth goodness, so that although she never tried to be popular, she was anyway.

Amy was opening the package from England. Helen was mildly surprised that the English pen pal was still writing each week and Amy wrote back. Not just little note either, they seemed to write reams and reams to each other, so Helen found it quite romantic.

The box was opened and there were gasps of amazement. It contained an antique lady’s watch. It looked to be made of gold.

Paul immediately felt that jealousy creep upon him once more.

There was a note in the box.

“What’s he say?” shouted Kerry-Anne.
 
 



Happy Birthday Amy!

You wrote to tell me that the watch your Grandma gave you when you were eight broke. So, here is a replacement. It was my Gran’s, but my mother told me you could have it, as long as you look after it. I told them you look after everything, so there’s no probs there.
I wish I could be with you... maybe one day, we could get together. I’m sending this before your birthday, so that you will get it on time. Your parcel is on the table for mine, so I can’t thank you for it yet.
Take care and be good. I’m hoping to get my folks to America this summer, wouldn’t it be good to meet up?

Love

John


 
 
There was a communal- ‘Aaaah!” by the girls, and Paul was slightly cross with John.

“Isn’t that sweet, Honey?” Helen said to her husband.

“Sure is, should we ask this boy and his folks to spend some time with us in the summer?”

“That sounds nice. Maybe they could come camping with us?”

“Yeah. Don’t tell Amy, but I’ll write to this boy’s father. He’s a surgeon, or something.”

“Don’t be too pushy, you know how reserved the English are,” Helen said.

“I won’t, don’t worry.”

The age of children’s games was long past, and at six o’clock the disco started. The grown ups decamped to the deck, while the kids just got on with it.

Helen and Sue sat on the swing seat.

“Amy looked real pretty; she is so grown up now. You must be so relieved?” Sue asked her friend.

This was an old conversation, so didn’t need a reply. Helen simply smiled and nodded.

“Paul was a little put out by the watch the English kid sent to her,” Sue observed.

“Yeah, poor boy. They’ve been friends for so long, I almost see them as brother and sister. Mind you, the looks he gives her are hardly fraternal!”

Sue laughed.

“In a way it’s a pity, because he won’t look at another girl as long as she’s around, yet she never gives him any encouragement.”

“She doesn’t have to, Sue. She sees Paul as a friend, but I don’t think it would enter her head that he was attracted to her.”

“Well, I know he’s very fond of her.”

“Amy’s fond of Paul, but they’re only thirteen, for Pete’s sake, give them time before you marry them off.”

Sue chuckled.

“Is Paul still writing to his pen pal?” Helen asked.

“Oh, Jacquie, yes, funnily enough, he is. They write each week, just like Amy.”

“What’s she like?”

“Who, Jacquie? Oh, quite a pretty little thing. Her last photo came through a few weeks ago. She was on horseback. She adores riding and activities like that.”

“We’re thinking of inviting Amy’s pen pal and his family over in the summer. I have to admit that I’m intrigued to meet a boy she has never met, yet spends hours writing to him every week.”

“Mmm, me too. I don’t think Jacquie’s family would make it. Her mother is a midwife, while her father runs a cattle-feed company. I seem to remember saying that they only get a week away in the summer, because time off for her mother is tricky.”

“Does Jacquie know John?”

“I should think so. I think that they’re neighbours and used to go to the same school.”

“That’s right. I remember now. Amy told me that John goes to a private school now, but is annoyed that Jacquie and his other friends don’t see him so much. Well, what if we offer to have Jacquie as well? That way all four kids could get together, we could even take Paul away camping with us, if you like?”

“It’s an idea, as we were wondering how to keep him out of trouble this summer. Now he doesn’t have Amy leading him astray, he mixes with the Bolton boys.”

“Hasn’t Jack, their father, been arrested again?”

Her friend nodded. “Yeah, DUI, last week. Shirley in the grocery store says he was nearly three times the limit.”

“How did she know?” Helen asked.

“Her husband is in the police department. Those Boltons have always been trouble. I was at school with Kelly Leary, as she was then. She was always the first to get into trouble. As it happened Jack Bolton got her pregnant with the eldest boy and they had to get married.”

Neil was sitting listening to the conversation, drinking a cold beer.

“I remember Jack when he was at High School. Didn’t he drop out?” Helen asked.

“Yeah, and it was the drink even then. He was a promising football player. If he hadn’t been so wild, I recall the coach saying he could have gone pro,” Neil said.

“Well, if we can take Paul away from them, we shall,” Helen said.

“That would be great, Helen, I’m sure he’d love it.”

“We’ll talk nearer the time,” Helen said, standing up. “I should just check on the kids.”

Neil placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Leave them, Honey. They’re old enough to be left and young enough not to fuss about,” he said.

They talked through their idea to invite the English children and John’s family over.

“What if they don’t get on?” Neil asked.

“Then we never need repeat it, but we should at least ask,” his wife stated.

“Okay. Who knows, it might be the start of an annual exchange,” Neil said with a grin.
 

*          *          *

 
Inside the house, Paul was dancing with Amy. His brain was in a whirl, as she seemed to be sending out really confusing messages to him. The kiss was the first, so he was still in shock over that one.

These days, he never thought of Amy as having a boy in there somewhere any more. It had been tough at first, but as time progressed he came to understand that this Amy was ten times the girl of the old one. It had taken him a while, but now he just saw a pretty girl with whom he was a best friend.

As he watched her dance, he experienced feelings he had never felt before. He liked watching her and he enjoyed being with her. He liked the way she moved, as she was so graceful. Whenever she touched him, it gave him a little thrill. Paul was falling in love.

Amy, however, contrary to her mother’s opinion, knew exactly what was happening. She liked Paul a lot, so was learning how to use being a girl to her advantage. She enjoyed the power that she had over boys and Paul in particular, as the response she got from a single smile warmed her heart. She would never abuse that power, but she was not fully aware of how powerful she was.

Paul was not the only one who saw her as a young woman. Jake Carlton, another classmate, was equally smitten, but he knew that she would never consider him a worthy boyfriend.

Jake was small and more academic than sporty. He and Amy shared a common interest. Computers.

They had managed to acquire a 286 PC at school, and were both eager to learn programming. Amy was given an Amiga 500 for her last birthday, but after discovering Paul had no interest in computers at all, apart from the occasional game. She had come across Jake who was really keen to understand everything about them.

He watched as Amy danced with Paul and then with a couple of the other guys. A few moments later, and to his utter amazement, she stood in front of him.

“Come on Jake, wanna dance?” she said.

Jake had never danced with anyone apart from aunts at Christmas, so was embarrassed and was about to decline when she grabbed his hand and pulled him onto the floor.

She danced with him for a couple of songs. Although he was flattered and pleased to be with her, he felt terribly self-conscious.

As the second song ended, she started getting everyone up into a conga, so they snaked their way around the house and out into the yard. Amy led the way with Jake firmly attached to her, holding her hips. The sight of her pert bottom jiggling around in front of him was to keep him awake at night for weeks afterwards.
 

*          *          *

 
John’s birthday was more subdued than Amy’s was. He had gone with his father and brother to Twickenham to watch the final of the Six Nations rugby tournament. Then the three of them had gone out to a local Chinese Restaurant for a splendid meal.

Kingham Hill School was the making of John. He was able to pursue the sports he loved to his heart’s content, yet he managed to get down to serious work when he needed to.

He found rugby his ultimate dream. He adored it, so now, at thirteen, he had grown and put on a little weight. He was displaying great promise, as the rugby coach already had his eye on the youngster.

His one regret about Kingham was that his old friends seemed to distance themselves from him. It was a social thing, as he was now a public school boy, and they weren’t!

He persisted for the first two years, so managing to be accepted by most of his old friends. Jacquie was the only one who had always been there for him, so he was very grateful. They were teased about their relationship, so it was widely believed that they were ‘going out’ together.

Just as with Amy and Paul, Jacquie and John enjoyed a unique relationship which drew them closer than most friends, and their gender was largely irrelevant.

Or, it used to be irrelevant!

Jacquie was developing along similar lines as Amy, so was certainly now a pretty girl. John was a sturdy boy, with that leggy appearance of boys who look as if they are about to grow six inches in a couple of months.

He still had almost a pretty look about him, with his fair unruly hair and almost perfect features, which were ruined in a particularly brutal game of rugby. He had experienced a scrunching feeling in his nose and then terrific pain. Someone’s boot had broken his nose!

Several trips to doctors and the hospital cleared the blockage, but left him with a bent nose. He wore it with a kind of pride, feeling that it was similar to a battle honour. For some strange reason, he couldn’t bring himself to tell Amy.

Jacquie hadn’t been included in his birthday celebrations, yet she gave him a card and a small gift anyway.

He had come round to her home on the day after, as it was the Easter holidays.

“Thanks Jax! Cool stopwatch,” he said.

Jacquie smiled. “I couldn’t think of anything else I could get you.”

“It’s brill. Ta!”

She smiled at the complete absence of Americanisms in his voice these days.

“Did you like the card?”

“Yeah, did you make it?”

She nodded, pleased with her efforts.

“It was cool.”

“Did you get anything from America?”

He grinned and pulled a chain out from under his shirt.

Amy had sent him a neck chain in gold with a small heart with Amy on one side and John on the other.

Jacquie experienced a sour feeling. She was sad that Amy had this tie with John, but although she understood, she didn’t understand why she should feel so bad about it.

“That’s nice. What did you give her?”

“Gran’s old watch. Amy’s broke, so Mum said she could have it,” he said.

Jacquie nodded.

“I see,” she said, failing to keep the bitterness out of her voice.

“Oh, Jax, don’t be jealous. You know how it is?”

She smiled a sad little smile.

“Yes, I know. I don’t have to like it, do I?”

“You know that you’re my best mate.”

She nodded again and changed the subject.

Despite knowing the truth, there was nothing of the girl in this John. In fact, the old John had been more a girl, so in a way, Jacquie missed him dreadfully. This John was too much a boy.

As she watched him playing with the stop-watch, she saw he had changed too. He was self-confident and quite a strong person. After he had seen off Kenneth, he had earned a reputation of being well able to take care of himself. He never had to suffer bullying again.

She knew that the other children in the village thought they were an ‘item’. She actually enjoyed it and, if she was honest, she actually wished it was true. However, at their age, being suspected to be an item was almost as good as actually being an item.

“So how is she?”

“Who, Amy?”

“Yup.”

“She’s fine. It was her birthday yesterday, so I dropped in for a chat. She liked my watch.”

Jacquie smiled. John treated his ability to communicate across the world as if it was natural.

“She thinks her parents are going to try to invite us all over in the summer.”

“What, your whole family?”

“Us and you too! That would be great, wouldn’t it?”

Jacquie grinned and nodded.

“I’d love to see her, and Paul,” she said.

“We would go camping in the mountains. That is way cool. I haven’t been real camping since I left.”

“Are there bears in the mountains?”

“Yeah, and mountain lions, rattlers and all kinds of critters,” he said with an evil grin.

“You’re teasing,” she said.

“Not really, but the rattlers stay out of the way most of the time, and the lions are so rare you’d be very lucky to see one, let alone get attacked. There are bears, but they smell us miles off, and keep well away.”

“Do you miss your home?”

John looked wistful for a while staring across the valley at his school on the hill.

“Sometimes. The life I have here is better for me. I feel that this is my home now. I get to go back and talk to Amy whenever I want, and I know my folks are okay.”

“Could you go back?”

John smiled and shook his head.

“Nah. Amy is stacked. I mean she is a seriously good-looking babe. She’s just changed so much, so I could never be that.”

Jacquie put her hands on her hips.

“And I’m not?” she said, in pretend rage

He grinned.

“Hey Jax, you’re a real sexy babe too,” he said, as a trace of the old voice crept in. She smiled and stuck her tongue out at him. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to be a sexy babe, but the way he said it pleased her more than it should.

She was a pretty girl, her hair more auburn than fair; and her high cheekbones giving her a Nordic look. She and Amy would be a similar height, but Amy was slightly more slender, as Jacquie had inherited her mother’s slightly generous behind.

“Are there any nice girls at your school?”

“A couple, but in the sixth form. Why don’t you change schools?” he asked,

“I’d love to, but we can’t afford it. It’s okay for you rich people, but we have to slum it,” she said, teasing him again.

He was mildly annoyed with what the British called the class system, as it wasn’t really a class system. Like America it was a wealth system, them with and them without.

He had learned in History that the people who kept coming into Britain, like the Romans, the Danes, the Saxons, the Normans and others, all doled out the best bits to their chums. That way, wealth and power was re-distributed quite often. ‘Upper class’ simply referred to people who had inherited their wealth over a few generations.

England was a strange place, as in the States, one’s accent was a giveaway as to where in the country one came from. If one claimed to be upper middle-class or upper class, then one had to strive to speak with an accent devoid of any regional clue. The was called the Queen’s English, and John’s Dad, as an eminent surgeon was certainly high up the social ladder, but fiercely proud of his working class roots and his Scottish birth.

John liked James’ accent, and was equally proud of his stance against the snobbery of the public school accents. Therefore, John had developed a slight Scottish accent just to show solidarity with his father, and to wind up his mum who was a terrible snob. In fact, he’d developed a real talent for accents, and could switch accents as it suited him.

John adored his adopted Dad. He was as nice as his original Dad, so he couldn’t have chosen a better one if he’d had the opportunity.

James always encouraged and was there for him. He believed in discipline and never let his sons get away with anything. As a result the boys learned self discipline from a young age, so John found his time at Kingham was the easier because of it.

John was due to start Army cadets in September, which he was really looking forward to. With an American background he had always regarded the British forces with respect. The British had a reputation of being damn tough fighters and very professional.

He had seen bits of the Falkland’s War on TV, and the Royal Marines with their seventy-pound packs. These were mean SOBs, and their green berets and the red berets of the British paratroopers, were copied by several US Special Forces.

He then thought about his brother, his other, American brother, Jeff, who was in the US Marines. He missed him.

“Life is so unfair,” he said, after a few moments lost in thought.

“Are you okay, or were you visiting Amy?” she asked.

“I’m fine. I was just thinking about stuff.”

“Your accent is so silly,” she said.

“Why?” he asked, slightly hurt.

“Because you aren’t Scottish.”

“I am, my dad is, so I am!”

“John, your dad is in America,” she reminded him.

“You know what I mean,” he said grumpily.

She grinned and he realised she was teasing him. He reached out and grabbed her, intending to give her a dead leg.

She wriggled in his grasp and he looked into her eyes, her arms were around her neck.

Before he could do or say anything, she kissed him.

He was stunned and froze.

“Why did you do that?”

“Because I wanted to,” she told him.

“Yeah, but why?”

“Why not?”

John realised he was not going to get a proper answer.

“Didn’t you like it?” she asked.

He shrugged. Actually he had, but wasn’t sure if he should have done.

“It was all right, I suppose.”

“Or do you prefer boys?” she asked.

In answer, he leaned forward and kissed her. It wasn’t a very good kiss, but neither of them had any experience so it hardly mattered. It was enough, and sexual awakening had arrived in the picturesque village of Churchill.
 

*          *          *

 
They had been inseparable before, and now they became almost Siamese twins. They were also very self-conscious about it, and thought they were being subtle.

They weren’t as subtle as they thought, and within a few days Jacquie’s mother found them kissing in Jacquie’s bedroom. They were unaware that she had seen them, as she had smiled and quietly crept away.

Whenever they were alone, they’d hold hands and experience that first excitement of touch that all young lovers go through. There was nothing said between them, but John found that things just seemed to progress naturally, but somehow he felt that it was just expected almost.

As much as Jacquie felt excited about what was happening, she also had a niggling doubt. It was as if by becoming a little intimate with John, they were in danger of losing something intangible.

However, apart from the occasional kiss and holding hands, they didn’t progress beyond that, as they both seemed more than happy for things to remain the same. They also were reluctant to be seen doing either.
 
 
Chapter 7
 
 
James frowned when he looked at his post. There was a letter addressed to him from the USA - Glendale, California, to be precise. He was quite used to letters with that postmark for John, but not for him. He’d almost set it aside for his son, but then noticed it read James and not John and wasn’t written in Amy’s neat, rounded handwriting.

He opened it and took out the single airmail sheet. With his half-moon spectacles on, he started to read, and then a small smile came to his lips. He glanced at John who was guzzling his breakfast as if he wasn’t getting fed again for several weeks. The lad had grown again in the last few weeks, he was sure.

Miles had already caught the bus to his school, but John cycled as it was so close. As the boys seemed to get on so much better these days, Miles was given the choice to go to the Hill as well, but he declined as he was happy where he was.

“John, hurry up, dear, you’re running late,” Kathleen said.

The lad picked up his toast and folded it over. Then he grabbed his bag and coat.

“Bye Dad, Mum. See you later,” he said, rushing out, stuffing his toast into his mouth. He stopped briefly for the statutory kiss from his mother.

They saw him whiz past the window on his bike, peddling like mad.

“What I’d give to have his energy,” James said.

“Oh, you aren’t that bad,” Kathleen said, giving him a kiss. She saw the letter and frowned.

“Who’s that from?” she asked.

“This is an invitation by Neil Standen for us, the Brightwells, to go an’ stay with them for three weeks in the summer. Also, they want to know if we fancy going on a week’s camping trip into the Sierra Nevada mountains.”

“Who the hell is Neil Standen?” she asked.

“You would know him better as Amy’s father.”

“Amy, as in John’s pen friend?”

“Aye, that’s it. It seems that this is planned in secret, as they want to know if young Jacquie is able to come too. Her pen-pal is a neighbour of the Standens, so they are trying to get them all together this summer.”

“What a super idea. I’ve never been to California,” she said.

“I went to a conference in San Francisco once. Never saw much outside the hotel really.”

“What’s Becks up to this summer?” she asked.

“God knows, we’ll have to see. But it would be fun, I think. Certainly different.”

“Miles has arranged to go camping with his friends in Wales. Is he included?”

“It doesn’t mention him. We should ask.”

“He was telling me how much he was looking forward to it; his first holiday away with his friends with no parents,” she said.

“I’m sure we could ask him and see what he wants to do.”

“I do hope the kids get on okay. I’ve heard of horrific examples of when penpals meet and really detest each other.”

“They’ve been writing for what, three years now?” he asked.

“A little longer.”

“Then I think they should be all right. The only problem may be keeping them apart,” he said with a smile.

“Why?” she asked, and then saw his smile.

“Oh! I see. Well they are growing up fast.”

“The last photo of Amy shows her as a very attractive young lady. You never know this might be the start of something big,” he said.

“Don’t be silly, John is infatuated with Jacquie.”

“You reckon?” he asked.

“Yes, they are always together.”

“I disagree. They are best friends, but I accept she is infatuated with him, but John doesn’t see her as a girl, not really.”

“Then you are on a different planet. I happen to know that they are a lot closer than you think,” she said with a smile.

“How come?”

“Her mother saw them kissing the other day.”

“What, wee John and Jacquie? Never!”

“Fact!”

“Well, I’ll be blowed.”

“Not by me, you won’t. Beside, there isn’t time, as you’re late enough as it is.”

James chuckled and kissed his wife.

“So, do we go to the States in the summer?” he asked.

“Why not? It’ll be fun.”

“You speak to Miles and Becky. I’ll see you later,” he said, kissing his wife.

James collected his case and left for work.
 

*          *          *

 
Amy, Melanie and Kerry-Anne were in the Standen’s dining room making their costumes for the Local Parade. Their school class had a float. The theme was of the first pilgrim settlers, who risked everything to come to a new land and enjoy the freedom to worship without fear of persecution.

Using old paintings and pictures, they had designed smock style dresses with big wide white collars, and white bob caps. The boys had the dark suits, breeches and the big black hats. Helen had helped and they were putting the finishing touches to their dresses.

Paul was making whoop-whoop noises and frightening the little kids from up the street. He was one of three Native Americans on the float. He was painted with a tanning cream, and had war paint smeared all over his face and torso. His dark hair had a band around it and he had some turkey feathers stuck into the band.

Neil came in, as he had got off work early so he could see the parade.

He drew Helen aside.

“James Brightwell replied this morning,” he said.

“And?”

“They’d love to come, and they’ve spoken to Jacquie’s mother. It’s as we thought, she can’t make it. So they’ll be bringing her too. It seems the older brother and sister are doing other things, so it’ll just be the pair of kids with James and Kathleen.”

“Oh that’s great, Honey. Do we tell Amy, or not?”

“Not yet, let it be a surprise.”

Helen grinned and went to help the young people with their costumes.

There were twelve floats in the parade and the weather was glorious. Amy sat in her seat on the back of the decorated truck and smiled and waved as the procession made its way slowly from the park to the church.

Helen and Neil walked alongside. Neil had his video camera trained on his daughter for most of the time. The boys were home for Easter and were in the crowd as well.

It had been Kyle who had said it all, as he watched his little sister getting ready.

“Amy isn’t a little girl anymore,” he’d said.

She wasn’t.

She was a very pretty teenager, and all the brothers could see that they were going to have to keep the boys away with large clubs.

All that is, except Paul.

He and Amy were very close, so already all their class mates were convinced that they were ‘going out’ with each other. It suited Amy, as she liked Paul, and the lad was party to her great deception. Poor Paul, however, was confused.

His friend had been gone for nearly four years, and he missed the original Amy and her wicked little ways. The girl he had come to know in the last few years was so very different. Yet because she retained the physical element of Amy, he had felt obliged to be her guide and friend.

This friendship had developed, but as the girl transformed from a skinny little thing into a soft and very feminine teenager, Paul found their friendship itself changing accordingly.

They would hold hands and steal the occasional kiss whenever they felt safe. This had not gone un-noticed by most of their relatives and friends, which only confirmed their apparent attachment.

However, Amy was not as sold on the idea as their outward show of affection would appear. She liked Paul, but as a friend and confidant. She was so enjoying being a girl, but she did not really want to be tied to one boy. However, as Paul was special and knew so much about her, she kept their special relationship for as long as she felt he needed her and it suited her.

As she sat on the float, waving at the people who lined the route, she wondered how John was getting on. She let her mind float across the void to touch his, just as he was eating breakfast.

<Hi!>

<Amy! How are you?>

<Fine. We’re having the parade, and I’m on a float.>

<I bet you look great!>

She smiled and watched Paul as he chased a couple of little kids with his tomahawk. She laughed.

<What’s so funny?>

<It’s Paul, he’s dressed like an Indian and he just chased a couple of little kids.>

<How is he? I’ve missed him.>

<He’s great. Everyone thinks we’re dating!>

<Are you?>

<Not really. We are just good friends. How’s Jacquie?>

<She’s fine. We have the same problem,> John admitted.

The pair opened each other’s minds up to the other, so they saw the first kisses and feelings of fondness and friendship.

<Gross, you kissed Paul!>

Amy laughed. <He was a good kisser!>

<I’m better!>

Amy was silent.

<Amy?>

<I’m here.>

<You went quiet.>

<John, are you coming over?>

<I think Dad got a letter from your Dad. I mean, Dad this end got a letter from America.>

Amy smiled.

<I know. They think they’re being so secretive. So you are coming?>

<Yeah, and Jacquie is coming too.>

<Brilliant! When?>

<In the summer. I guess we’ll all go camping together.>

<Are Miles and Becky coming?>

<No, they’re both doing other stuff. So it’s just us>

Amy felt a little sad that she wouldn’t see Miles and her sister, but felt that it was a start.

<That will be so cool!> she said, excitement welling up inside of her.

John shared the feeling. He frowned. He thought that he wanted to go to see his original family and Paul again. He did, however, he realised that he mainly wanted to meet Amy for the first time.

Amy smiled, as he was totally transparent.

<I want to see you too. This is nice, but I want to see you face to face and touch you. Besides, I want to check out what you said,> she told him.

<Check out what?>

<Whether you’re a better kisser,> she said.

<AMY?>

But Amy wasn’t there any more.
 

*          *          *

 
The parade was a great success. Helen was overwhelmed by the amount of people who came up to her and remarked about how lovely and grown-up Amy looked. Helen knew that she had, but was rueful as she realised that Amy had done this by herself with very little help from her mother.

Neil took about two hours worth of video footage, and the family prepared themselves to be bored stiff with yet another ‘I love Amy show’.

The days that followed seemed to be an anticlimax for Amy, who was really looking forward to the July holiday. She and John had agreed not to tell Paul and Jacquie about the holiday, that way it would at least be a surprise for someone.

School dragged on for another few weeks, and the only thing that kept Amy going was her frequent ‘chats’ with John.

Paul found her irritating, to the point that they had a real row.

She had been in her room, lying on her bed with a blissful smile on her face. Paul had come over to see if she wanted to go to the ice rink. Amy adored skating and was very good at it. Paul liked being with her, but would have preferred ice hockey, but he noticed the envious stares of the older boys when he partnered her on the ice.

She was in communication with John, so she blanked Paul completely.

When she finally realised he existed, she dismissed his suggestion to go skating with hardly a second thought.

She then spent twenty minutes telling him what John had been doing.

Paul’s temper broke.

“For crying out loud, Amy, I don’t give a shit what he’s been doing! I’m here and you’re here, and he’s thousands of miles away. I was your friend, and yet you treat me as if I don’t exist sometimes. It’s ‘John this’ and ‘John that’, what about ‘Paul this’ or ‘Paul that’?”

Amy stared at her friend, her mouth open, as he stood in front of her, his anger and frustration so obvious from his body language and expression. She hadn’t been aware of his feelings at all, so was completely mortified at how self-centred she’d been. The tears silently fell from her eyes.

Paul’s anger died as soon as the tears started to well up in her beautiful eyes. They overflowed and cascaded unchecked down each cheek. Paul realised that she was completely oblivious to the depth of feeling he had for her, so he instantly felt so guilty that he had never actually told her how he felt.

She cried silently, while Paul felt awful.

“Oh shit. I’m sorry Amy. I didn’t mean it like that,” he said.

“Yes, you did. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Tell you what?”

“How you felt. I didn’t know.”

“Huh? Everyone else in town knows. My folks know, your folks too, I reckon.”

She shook her head, as he watched, mesmerised, as her earrings refracted the light and sparkled.

“Amy, I guess I like you a lot,” he stammered.

“I know that. You’re my best friend.”

“No. Not that kind of like. Like a boyfriend-girlfriend like.”

She smiled, even though the tears were still there.

“There are a lot of likes there,” she said.

“Look, I’m not good at saying what I feel, as I’m not sure what I feel. It’s just I’ve seen you grow up and become someone so different, I guess it’s kinda hard to remember what the old Amy was like. You aren’t the same. You’re just, I don’t know, so much a girl!” he said, emphasising the word ‘girl’, so she smiled.

“That’s the nicest thing anyone could ever say to me,” she said, leaning over and kissing his cheek.

She agreed to go skating and never mentioned John again that day. They went to the ice cream parlour by the rink and had a sundae together. Paul noticed the glances the other boys gave Amy, so he felt pleased and proud that she was with him.

School days started to drag, as Amy was so looking forward to the Brightwells’ visit. It was more than that, as she also was really looking forward to seeing Jacquie again. She was the one person she could talk to about what had happened over the years since the change became permanent. She wanted to share how wonderful it was to be a girl.

Her grades were way above average and she was considered a model student. She spent as much time as she could in communication with John, so as a result often seemed distracted. John relied on her a lot more than she did on him for school work. It could be true to say that he put a lot more effort into his sport and let Amy help him through his academic work.

Paul was only too well aware of Amy’s rather vague state, but was completely unprepared for the truck.

They had caught the school bus as usual, and were on their way home. Paul and Amy were sitting together, as always, and Paul knew that Amy was updating John on the events and gossip of the day.

They arrived at their stop. Amy was miles away as she alighted from the bus and simply stepped in front of a moving truck.

There was a squeal of brakes. Fortunately, the truck wasn’t travelling fast as it overtook the yellow school bus, but it still struck the girl. The driver was reading a map at the time; otherwise, he would have not overtaken the bus at all.

Amy was flung forward and her head hit the tarmac with a sickening crunch.

Paul felt his life was over as he ran to her side. A thin trickle of blood seeped from her head, as she lay there unmoving. Someone screamed.

Eventually the Police and paramedics arrived. Paul almost had to be prised from her side as she was treated and strapped to a board before being rushed to the hospital. Paul ran to her home and told her mother. Helen felt sick as she called Neil at work. He told her to go to the hospital and he would meet her there.

Paul was beside himself and was almost in tears, so Helen asked him to come too. The boys were all out, so she needed someone to help her get through this. Paul told his mother where he was going and sat in silence as Helen drove to the hospital.

Amy was in ER when they arrived. A few minutes later Neil arrived and immediately hugged Helen. It was too much for her and she broke down into tears. Paul was really upset and just sat looking at the swing doors.

It was the not knowing, it was crippling!
 

*          *          *

 
John felt the pain as if it had happened to him. It was midnight and he was in bed at home. He loved this time, as he was able to find out what had been happening in America and update Amy as to what had happened in Britain. He no longer thought of America as home, and although he still adored his old parents, his new ones were just as nice, and his new Dad was brilliant.

They had been in mid conversation when everything went black.

<AMY!> he mentally screamed.

He sat up in bed, and was clearly desperately upset.

There was no response to his call.

<AMY, please talk to me!>

Nothing.

His heart rate increased and he felt panicky. He knew something dreadful had happened, but was completely powerless to do anything about it.

“What’s the matter?” Miles asked from the other bed.

“Something has happened to Amy!” he said.

“What?”

“It’s Amy, something has happened to her. She’s hurt!”

“You’re bonkers, go back to sleep,” Miles said, rolling over.

John couldn’t go to sleep. He was trapped by his own predicament. He was thousands of miles away and totally helpless. It was the worst night of his life!


 
To Be Continued...

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cliffhangers...

Great story Tanya, thanks for posting it here. What is it with the better authors here, the way they leave you dangling, waiting for the next instalment?

Yes, Cliffhangers!

The cliffhanger is probably the best way for an author to make you want to come back for more! Back in the 1930s and '40s, Hollywood developed the movie serial as a way to get people to keep coming back to the theatres; and the cliffhanger was the main reason for that. The hero or heroine of the story would be left in some dire situation with no apparent means of escape. Viewers would have to wait until the following week to find out how he or she would manage to avoid the apparently inevitable doom looming over them.

The authors here often use the same time-honored trick to make us want to find out what is going to happen in the next chapter of their stories! When a chapter ends on a serene note, it is often hard to figure out if the story is ending or not unless the author specifically says "to be continued". With a cliffhanger, you KNOW the story is going to go on!

Jenny

Who shot J.R.?

RAMI

The cliffhanger applies to T.V. also. Among the top 5 most watched T.V. show broadcasts(not sorts, news or onetime events), was a season finale of "Dallas" where J. R. got shot. The entire country had to wait all summer to find out who "Shot J.R." Ewing"

RAMI

Outstanding as always

Getting into this. very well written. Wish I could write that well.

She has to be all right otherwise there would not be much more story left. Still, a bit of a cliffhanger.

- J

Unless there is truth in my heart, my every effort is doomed to failure....

That which does not kill me only serves to delay the inevitable. My blog => http://jaynemorose.wordpress.com/ <= note new address

Sorry...

But I hate you...

:'(

More soon I hope. :)

;)

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

I am wondering if this

I am wondering if this accident will "disconnect" the two of them mentally on more or less permanent basis. To bad if it does, as they do need each other even if it is a little while each time. J-Lynn

John/Amy - Suffer any type of injury because of the accident?

RAMI

Wow, never saw that happening. J-Lynn raised one of the points I would have. I also wonder if the connection between the two is so strong that John-Amy might also suffer some injury.

Paul must be besides himself. I wonder if he blames himself for the accident at all. Does he think that he should have been more careful for Amy-John while she was in her communication state of mind?

Fantastic story.

RAMI

RAMI

Cliff Hangers

Well I have to agree with PS, all the best authors here do it to us with there stories like they got a pack between them to do this to us! (Heee!Heee!) This story Tanya is really is hard to have to wait for that next chapter to find out what happen. Thanks Tanya for the great story as almost all yours are! Richard

Richard

Wicked Cliffhanger!

terrynaut's picture

Oh my. I didn't see that cliffhanger coming at all. I'm gobsmacked! Bleah! You are such a meanie! But yeah, something bad has to happen to good characters in order to make the story interesting. *sigh*

I loved it up until the end. Now I'll be fretting the night away, wondering what happens next.

Thanks. Please keep up the good work and don't make us poor readers wait too long for the next part.

- Terry

Dreams 4-5

What an place to stop. I wonder, if Amy gets worse, would they swap back? I hope not but there is so much they probably still don't know about why or how this all works.

I am very much looking forward to more of this

Karen

Suspense

Tanya, Oh goody..this story was going just too well. Thanks for some excitement. You know how we get so involved with 'our characters'. We need this.
Hugs, Wendy Marie

Wendy Marie