The Other Side Of Dreams Chapters 4 - 5

Printer-friendly version

The Other Side Of Dreams

By Tanya Allan

Take two young people: - John in England and Amy in California. Take a common factor: - both recognised that they had been born into the wrong gender. As they grow up, they realise that their bodies are in imminent danger of changing into something neither wants.
 
Result: - Two very unhappy souls.
 
Their dreams are the only place they can find solace. Then they start to dream of each other, and to get a little glimpse of the other’s life. Over time they learn how to crossover at will and not just when asleep. They start to leave childhood behind as puberty beckons. The lines become blurred, who is where?
 
Solution: - One of them takes the bold step and suggests they try to live each other’s lives. Will it work?
 
Find out……………………….
 

Tanya's Book Shop where she is selling her works in book form is at http://tanyaallan.authorshaunt.com/shop.php . Please Visit!


Originally written in 2006 - never posted, Reworked & Revised in 2009.
 
I have Dedicated this story to Sephrena Miller, for all of her help and guidance... May all her dreams come true!

 
The Legal Stuff:The Other Side Of Dreams  ©2006, 2009 Tanya Allan
 
This work is the property of the author, and the author retains full copyright in relation to printed material, whether on paper or electronically. Any adaptation of the whole or part of the material for broadcast by radio, TV, or for stage plays or film, is the right of the author unless negotiated through legal contract. Any commercial use by anyone other than the author is strictly prohibited.
 
This work is fictitious, and any similarities to any persons, alive or dead, are purely coincidental. Mention is made of persons in public life only for the purposes of realism, and for that reason alone. Certain licence is taken in respect of medical procedures, terms and conditions, and the author does not claim to be the fount of all knowledge.
 
The author accepts the right of the individual to hold his/her (or whatever) own political, religious and social views, and there is no intention to deliberately offend anyone. If you wish to take offence, that is your problem.

 
This is only a story, and it contains adult material, which includes sex and intimate descriptive details pertaining to genitalia. If this is likely to offend, then don’t read it.
 
 
Chapter 4
 
 
Despite being trapped in a strange body, in an equally strange place, Amy was dozing when she felt something or someone calling her by name.

She experienced a floating sensation, which, although disconcerting, was not unpleasant. She somehow knew she was between being awake and asleep, but the place she found herself wasn’t part of the material world. She opened her eyes and was surprised to see herself. She felt as if she was lying down, but it was as if she was weightless and her own body was standing in front of her.

“Hi, I’m John,” said her body.

Weird!

“I’m Amy,” she replied. “Hi.” Her voice sounded odd, different somehow. Then she remembered her dream-like adventure to a strange place. The panic she’d experienced earlier was missing, as she wasn’t the least bit afraid, although it was very disconcerting seeing her own body used by someone else.

“I know who you are, hello,” said the girl called John. “I’ve worked out how we can change at will.”

“How?”

“It needs three things. First, you have to be relaxed, then you need to want to change, and finally you have to match exactly with the other person. I guessed you would be all three by now because I was in bed when I left. So it was easy.”

“What time is it at home?”

“Nearly supper time. Paul and I are in the dell. I’ve done your homework,” the girl said, with a smile.

“Cool, thanks. What was it?”

“Geography. I did a piece on the Hoover Dam.”

“I hate Geography!”

“I know. Just as well I don’t, isn’t it?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you want to come back?” the girl asked.

“Yeah, I guess, but I’d still like to have a day as a guy, just to see what it’s like.”

“Look, if you want, we can stay like this for twenty-four hours, and I’ll meet you same time same place tomorrow?” the girl said.

“Uh, you like being a girl?” The question had overtones of disbelief.

John/Amy smiled, so Amy/John could sense that the girl was happy.

“Okay. I’ll see you same time tomorrow. Has Mom guessed?”

The girl shook her head.

“No, but we both have to speak with different accents.”

“Your Dad speaks real funny.”

“He’s Scottish. Just try to copy him. It drives Mum mad, but he likes it.”

“Your brother, he’s a real asshole.”

“Yes, I know, what did you do to him? He acted really strange yesterday.”

“Nothing much. I just kicked him in the gonads and punched him on the nose.”

“I wish I’d seen that.”

“Hey, that’s one thing we can’t do,” Amy said.

“Not yet, anyway.”

“That’s true. Hey, that’d be cool.”

“What would?”

“We could get together and share stuff.”

“It’d be very strange, but fun.”

“Hey, I’d better get some sleep. I never thought we’d have such a difference in time.”

“Okay, look after me, won’t you?” the girl said.

“Sure, same to you!”

The mists subsided and Amy was back in bed, inside John’s body. The panic was gone, as she looked forward to a new adventure.

She, no, he smiled, slipping off to a dreamless sleep.

Meanwhile, in the dell in Glendale, Paul was staring at his companion. He suddenly was looking into her open blue eyes.

“Amy?”

“No. Amy is staying there for another day. She wants to see what it’s like.”

“No shit? You talked with her?”

The girl nodded, holding her hand out. Paul took it and pulled her to her feet.

“It was very strange, but we can sort of meet in the middle of nowhere. We talked for what seemed ages. How long was I out?”

“A couple of seconds.”

“Cool!” she said, grinning.

This time Paul found himself following her, as they made their way home.

They stopped outside her house.

“Okay, I have to go home for supper now. Are you gonna be okay?” he asked.

The girl smiled and nodded.

“If I have a problem, I’ll call you. What’s your number?”

He told her, so she said, “See you later,” and then turned and went in.

Paul shook his head and returned to a normal house.

Amy’s father was home. He was out on the deck starting the barbeque.

Amy went straight upstairs, changing into a skirt and pretty pink top. She grinned as she looked at her reflection and then brushed her hair. She returned downstairs, going into the kitchen and asking her mother if she could help.

Helen almost dropped the salad bowl, but recovered quickly.

“Why yes, Honey. Lay the table please,” she said, before the girl changed her mind. She then noticed that Amy was wearing a skirt.

“How many for?” the girl asked.

“Huh?” said her mother, lost for words.

“How many place settings?”

“Oh! You, me, your father, Jeff, Steve and Kyle.”

“Inside or out?”

“Out, I think.”

“Okay,” Amy said, and started going through the drawers finding the tableware.

As Amy went out, her father came into the kitchen.

“Hi Spitfire!” he said.

“Hi Daddy,” the girl said, kissing his cheek.

He stared after her, also noticing the skirt.

“What’s gotten into her?” he asked Helen, after the girl had moved out of earshot.

“Beats me,” she said. “She’s been acting real strange all afternoon. She washed up her glass, asked if she could change and, you’ll never believe it, but she actually asked if she could help with dinner. And now, she’s changed into a skirt without being asked!”

“Amy?”

“Yes, Amy.”

“Is she okay?”

“Neil, don’t say anything. It’s wonderful. If you try to meddle, we may get the old Amy back,” she joked.

Amy returned.

“Shall I get drinks for everyone?” she asked, as her parents exchanged meaningful glances.

“Amy, how come you are speaking like that?” her father asked.

“Like what, daddy?”

“Like a real English princess.”

She smiled, but inside her heart almost stopped. She’d forgotten about the accent. She thought quickly.

“We learned in English that the American influences are negative, as the slang that has been introduced is destroying the language,” she said.

“Did you, now?” he father asked, a large smile on his face. “Well, ten bucks says you can’t keep it up until bedtime.”

“Okay, that’s a bet,” she said, and started filling a pitcher of water.

Her father shook his head and went back out to the barbeque.

Amy brought him a cold beer in a glass and sat watching him, her big blue eyes were almost mesmerising. She was growing into a stunningly pretty girl.

“So, what’s gotten into you?” he asked.

She smiled and shook her head.

“Nothing,” she lied.

“Your mom is confused. She says you’re being too nice,” he said.

She smiled again.

“I guess I’ve been a pain, huh?”

Neil Standen looked at her.

“Amy, is something bothering you?”

“No.”

“You’d tell me if there was, right?”

“Sure.”

“So, you’re okay?”

“Fine.”

“Good. What did you do today?”

“Went to school, came home, did my homework, went for a ride with Paul, and came back again.”

“You’ve done your homework already?”

“Yes, why?”

“Amy, you always leave it until bedtime. So what is with all this nice stuff?”

“Nice stuff?”

“Look, this I have to see. Can you show me what you did?”

He watched as she ran indoors, returning with her Geography book.

He turned the steaks and then flicked through her book. He looked at the most recent page, but then flicked back again, comparing the reckless scribbles on previous pages with the meticulous notes and fine drawing on the most recent entry.

“You did these drawings?”

“Uh huh,” she said, nodding.

“And this is what you wrote, yes?”

“Yes.”

“Did you copy it or what?”

“I just remembered my lessons, so I wrote what I’d been told.”

Neil stared at his daughter. He prided himself on being able to tell when one of his children lied to him, but he would swear that she wasn’t lying. He made a decision.

“That is really good, sweetheart. I’m pleased that something seems to be going in at last. I know you don’t like Geography that much.”

He was rewarded by an enormous smile, so his heart melted.

“Come here,” he said, giving her a big hug.

Dinner was a good-natured event, the boys were noisy and Helen was surprised, again, by her daughter as she fetched and carried stuff throughout. When she suggested it was bedtime, the girl kissed her and her father, going upstairs without a murmur.

Helen followed to say goodnight, finding her in bed already, washed and hair brushed, wearing her nightdress without complaint for the first time ever.

“Sleep well, honey.”

“Thanks Mom. Oh, and Mom?”

“Hmm?”

“I’m sorry for being a pain.”

Helen felt a tear come to her eye, so she kissed her daughter again.

“You aren’t sweetie. You’re just you.”

She turned the light off and went down stairs.

Neil was settling down in front of the TV.

“You owe your daughter ten bucks,” she said.

“Oh yeah, she made it. Is she okay?”

“Never better!” said Helen with a grin, as Neil went up to give his princess a kiss and ten bucks.
 

*          *          *

 
A pillow landed in her face, so Amy flung up an arm to push it off.

“Come on maggot, out of your pit,” said this nasty voice.

“Call me that again and you’ll regret it.”

“Maggot!”

Miles never saw the kick coming, so he just collapsed silently as all the air left his lower abdomen.

He stared up at his younger brother, who was now standing with both fists clenched.

“More, asshole?”

The door opened.

“Oh, you’re both up already, good. Hurry up, breakfast is in five minutes,” their mother said, leaving them without noticing Miles’ discomfort.

Miles struggled to his feet, trying hard not to cry. John had never struck him before this week, but now he had done it twice. Maybe he should stop bullying him?

Both boys were at the breakfast table in four minutes. Amy/John was grinning, he was allowed to wear pants and decent leather shoes.

“No shorts today, John?” his mother asked.

“Nah, pants are fine.”

James looked over his newspaper at him.

“I beg yer pardon, young man?” he said.

Amy/John realised that the American accent was going to be real hard to lose.

“Uh, too cold for shorts. Um, pants are better,” he said, hoping it was acceptable.

“Pants?” his father asked.

The boy struggled to remember any English TV or films that could help with the vocabulary.

“Uh, trousers?”

“That’s better. You must stop watching all those American films,” his father said. He pronounced films as ‘fillums’.

Amy/John sat and ate his cereal in silence. At least they had the same cereal brands. He wondered come they called what they spoke here the same as what they spoke in America. He was going to have to keep his mouth shut and listen to everyone if he was going to learn.

“Bacon and eggs?” his new mother asked.

“Uh, sure.”

James looked at him again.

“Um, yes please,” he said and smiled.

He was served a plate of bacon, eggs, and sausages. He wolfed it down as quickly as he dared. It was really good. His American Mom wasn’t into food like this!

Miles was out of the door first, so John followed. There was a girl waiting at the gate. Miles went on ahead, as if to be seen walking with either his brother or a girl would do his reputation irreparable harm.

“Hi John.”

“Hi,” he replied cautiously, at a complete loss.

“Do you want to dress up in my stuff again after school?”

“Huh, what are you on?” he asked, the disgust very evident in his voice.

She looked at him sharply, as he walked into the street.

“Hey, where’s the bus-stop?” he asked, looking around.

“Bus-stop, are you all right? What’s with the American accent?” she asked.

Amy/John swore quietly, but this girl suddenly grinned at him.

“You did it!” she said, as they started walking along the street.

“I did what?” he asked, cautiously, trying to be as British as he could.

“You swapped! You must be the girl. So you’re Amy?” the girl asked.

“Shh, do you wanna get me locked up?” Amy/John hissed, trying to see if anyone overheard.

The girl giggled.

“This is great!” she said.

“Who are you, anyways?”

“I’m Jacquie. I’m John’s best friend.”

“Figures,” he muttered.

“Why?”

“Back home, my best friend is a boy. It figures that his friend is a girl. What’s with the dressing up bit?”

“I think John should have been a girl. So did he.”

“Well, he is now.”

Jacquie giggled.

“This is going to be so funny.”

“Why?”

“It just is.”

They arrived at the school, where Kenneth was straight into John’s face.

“Pansy boy! Mind you, keep out of my way,” he said.

“Go screw yourself!” the new John said.

There were many large intakes of breath by all around. Kenneth shook his head as if he couldn’t actually believe what he’d heard.

“What?”

“You heard, or are you deaf as well as stupid and ugly?”

There were a few nervous laughs. It never paid to be seen laughing at Kenneth.

“Why you little bastard!” said an enraged Kenneth, who had just learned the word. However, just as Mrs Cooper, the head teacher, walked through the gate, he took an almighty swing at the smaller boy.

Mrs Cooper stared in horror, but John ducked, raising one hand to successfully block the second punch, then he turned sideways and lashed out with his right leg, catching Kenneth just on the knee.

Kenneth howled and fell over. The onlookers gasped at seeing the goliath of the school yard defeated, but then scattered as the Head approached.

Mrs Cooper marched over.

“John, Jacquie, go to your classroom, this minute! Kenneth, get up and stop bawling. You deserved that. I’m calling your mother. You’ve been told, time and time again, about picking on younger and smaller children. I only hope this has taught you a lesson.”

The snivelling Kenneth was dragged away. Amy/John found himself on the receiving end of some surprised and admiring glances.

“What I do?” he asked and grinned. There was a new John in town.

Morning lessons were okay. No geography.

Lunchtime was different, but he found that the lunch pack was okay, and the kids here swapped just as much as back home.

He found it easier not to say anything, as Jacquie spoke for both of them. John was obviously a quiet kid in any case, so no one noticed.

It was PE after lunch. Mr Symes took them onto the playing field. The girls went up one end and played a game with a net like basketball, but it was called netball. The boys went onto the soccer pitch. A soccer ball was produced and, much to Amy/John’s delight, the boys actually played soccer.

Amy had mucked about with her brothers and friends, but never got to play with boys for long. For one thing her Mom didn’t like her playing soccer, and the other girls were really pathetic at it.

Mr Symes watched with quiet amusement. John had never shown any inclination for soccer, or any games for that matter. Yet he entered into everything with uncharacteristic gusto today.

In fact, he displayed a rare talent and courage in going for tackles that made him gasp in wonder. His ball control and accuracy in passing was quite remarkable.

Was this the same boy?

By the end of the game, he called John over.

“Where did that come from?” he asked the boy, who was grinning like a Cheshire cat.

“Dunno. Just was,” the boy said, a little out of breath.

“You played well enough to get into the team for this Saturday. I’ve been told that Kenneth is not allowed to play, do you fancy it?”

The boy’s grin became even wider, if that were possible.

“Sure, that’d be real neat!”

“I’m sorry?” asked Mr Symes, frowning.

“Uh, yes sir, that would be fine,” said a more Anglicised John.

By the end of the day, quite a few people were more than a little surprised at John’s strange turnaround. But being English, nobody said anything.

Jacquie was waiting for John as usual, but this time he arrived with three other boys and was talking about going for a kick around after tea. She realised with some sadness that her old friend was gone.

John still walked home with her. He sensed her loss, so grinned at her.

“Hey, I still need someone who can help me. Do you fancy being my special friend? I’m not like John, but as long as you can keep the secret, I guess we’ll get along,” Amy/John asked.

Jacquie smiled.

“I can see how come he swapped with you. He should have been a girl, whereas you should have been a boy,” she said.

John grinned.

“It’s way cool! I get to wear pants all day and play soccer.”

“That’s trousers and football,” she corrected.

He grinned again. “That’s why I need you,” he said and she smiled.

They stopped at her house.

“Are you coming in?”

John stared at the house.

“Should I?”

“You did yesterday.”

“Nah, I’ll go home and get used to my new family. I think I’m gonna have to fight that jerk Miles again soon.”

“Do you like fighting?” she asked, frowning.

“Not really, but sometimes that is the only thing assholes understand.”

She giggled again.

“You are so rude!” she said, delightedly.

He grinned again. He felt at ease with who he was.

A shout from across the road disturbed them.

“Hey, John, are you playing?”

It was Mike, one of the boys he played football with.

“Yeah, let me tell my folks,” he shouted back.

“Hey Jacquie, what do I call my folks?”

“Dad, Mum, and then there’s Miles and Becky. She’s older and at the high school.”

“Thanks, see ya!” he said and ran into his own house.

Kathleen Brightwell was sitting reading a magazine in the kitchen when a small tornado came in.

“Hi Mum, I’m off playing football with Mike. What time’s supper?”

“Six thirty,” she said before she registered that it was John and not Miles.

He was gone before she could say anything.

She frowned, shaking her head in wonder. He was really behaving oddly these days.

John was in heaven. The fact that he could do boy things, with boys, as a boy was just perfect. He missed his own family, but it was worth it.

He was ten minutes late for tea. His father frowned and told him to go wash. But he wasn’t cross. In fact, he was delighted that at long last he had taken an interest in football.

“I’ve been picked for the team on Saturday. Mr Symes told me I’m good enough,” he said with a mouth full of lasagne.

Everyone at the table was stunned in to silence.

“You?” said Miles.

Miles was not even good enough, so this hurt badly.

“Yes, that’ll teach you to call me a maggot,” John said, and stuck his tongue out.

James looked away, suppressing a smile. It was like the answer to prayer, but Kathleen shook her head rather sadly. She knew this day would come, when her baby would grow up a bit. Still, it had been nice while it lasted.

Eventually James had to drag John in from the garden, where he was kicking a football against the back wall again and again and again.

“Have you done your homework?”

“Haven’t got any?”

James checked, and then made John sit down and do the maths that he should have done. As a result he was half an hour later to bed.

John was smiling as he went to sleep.
 
 
Chapter 5
 
 
John and Amy met up again at the same place as arranged. John had had a wonderful day as Amy, having worn the dress to school. All lessons had gone well, while Helen was completely bowled over with her daughter’s complete transformation.

“We gotta have a strategy!” Amy/John said.

“Okay, like what?”

“Well, I like sports, math, and science. You like art, music, Geography and all that boring stuff. We gotta work out how to crossover real quick, and take the lessons that we’re good at. That way, both our grades will be good.”

They discussed tactics for a while. Paul was getting worried as the girl he was with seemed almost dead to the world.

They practiced a quick crossover.

Paul looked and saw she was awake.

“Amy?”

“Hi Paul.”

“Shit, which one are you?”

“I’m in a dress?” she said with disgust.

Paul grinned.

“Welcome back, Amy.”

“Hell, I’m not here for long,” she said, closing her eyes again.

A few seconds later, they opened again.

“Amy?” he asked, dubiously.

“Nope. But it’ll do!” said the girl, smiling at his confusion.

“Man, will you guys stop this? It’s driving me nuts!”

She twitched slightly.

“Paul?”

“Amy?”

“See ya!”

“Hi Paul.”

“Amy? “

“No.”

“SHIT! I’ve had enough!”

In the end, he was not certain who went home with him, as Amy wanted to see if he could tell the difference between them. As soon as she got in and disappeared up to her room without acknowledging her mother, Helen suspected that the brief episode of delightful behaviour was probably a flash in the pan.

However, it was only a couple of hours before Amy reached out to a sleeping John to see if he wanted to swap.

“I can’t take this,” she said. “Besides, I’ve gotta practise my soccer.”
 

*          *          *

 
John played for the football team on the following Saturday, scoring two goals. The team lost, but only just, and the opposition were very surprised at the skills level of the small village team.

James had been there to watch, along with Miles who scowled for the first half, but found himself cheering when his little brother scored his goals. James could hardly believe the change in Wee John over the last few days. He had no idea what prompted the change, but he hoped it was here to stay.

Meanwhile, several thousand miles to the west, Amy seemed to blossom at school and, much to her mother’s delight, even started to make friends with other girls. These girls were naturally a little cautious, so it took a few weeks for them to accept that she wasn’t suddenly going to appear in camouflage combat gear, and force them at gun point to shoot hub caps off moving cars on the freeway with her BB gun.

“I promise that I’ve changed,” the new Amy told them. “I’ve grown out of all that.”

Melanie and Kerry-Anne were her two better friends. Her first trip to the mall with other girls was an education. Melanie’s mother was with them and, like the girls, was suspicious of Amy’s intentions, half suspecting her to do something outrageous, just for a laugh.

Amy’s mother had given her some money. She had had a lovely day and, in one store, she had even agreed to have a full facial and junior makeover which was on special offer.

She then bought a new dress, some shoes and a pretty top. Her whole appearance was of a developing young woman and no longer a little girl.

She stared in wonder at the reflection in the mirror and her heart sang all the way home.

Paul and Jacquie were no longer able to keep track of who was who. Jacquie just called the boy — John; while Paul called the girl — Amy, regardless of who was inside, so to speak. If the world knew that they swapped at least seven times a day, doctors and scientists would have sold their mothers for a chance to examine the young couple.
 

*          *          *

 
As time went on, they perfected their crossovers, that they could literally manage it within the blink of an eye. They could, and did, communicate telepathically frequently, as there was much to learn about the other’s life.

It got to the point that the communication replaced the swap-overs. If Amy needed help she called out to John, and vice versa. They were able to partially swap so as to ‘see’ the problem, and then advise accordingly.

They’d pass on what they’d been doing and it became increasingly hard for the original to maintain what the other had done on their behalf. John was completely useless at football, and Amy felt like an interloper in her own home. There seemed to be an expectation that she undertook chores without even being asked!

They spent Christmas morning with their own families as their original genders. However, because their hearts were rooted in their new genders, they were not really able to come to terms with the person that the other was making them.

Amy found her mother gave her dresses and clothes for Christmas, while John unwrapped a new pair of football boots. They were back where they felt they belonged within a few hours.

John found that he was no longer bullied at school, and even Miles was almost friendly. Jacquie was so used to them crossing over that she was a good friend to both, although she missed the original John. This new John was too much a boy, but she knew that there might be an advantage in remaining friends. In California, Paul experienced a very similar scenario, with Amy turning into a very alien creature.

As 1988 arrived, the pair began to cross over less and less. John preferred to be Amy and Amy was definitely happier as John. It was the original Amy who started feeling tired first. She was expending enormous energy playing football and just having the time of her life as John.

Then it started to take its toll on John too, but he was so content as Amy that he felt it was worth it. The time difference was the root of problem, as neither child was getting a full eight to ten hours sleep each night. It had become so much of a problem that their parents observed how tired and drawn they both were appearing, and both kids would drop off to sleep in the strangest places.

School work was the hardest part, as the time difference meant that both kids were missing out on sleep to help out the other. Teachers were bound to notice something was odd, as their grades fluctuated unpredictably as they came and went with no real pattern. It was at this point that they all decided that Amy and John should become pen friends, which could legitimise contacts with the families. To keep things neat, Paul and Jacquie could do the same as well.

They met at more or less the same time every day for a chat in that in-between place they had found. Amy retained John’s image, and John was always Amy. Neither was that keen on returning to their original self. Just after they had spent their 10th birthdays with their respective families, they came to a decision.

It was a very easy decision to make, and they both smiled as the came to it.

“I’m changing!” John/Amy said.

“Huh?”

“I’m starting to grow breasts and turning into a woman. I want to stay.”

Puberty was hitting the girl first, in the body at least.

“Oh.”

“I love my parents, but I like yours too, and your brothers are really nice,” the girl said.

The boy grinned.

“Me too. Your folks are great, your dad in particular. Even Miles is getting better. So, do we stay, keep swapping, or go back to where we belong?”

The girl smiled.

“I know where I belong,” she said, looking at her pretty dress.

“Yeah, me too.”

“So, do we stay like this?” she asked, hardly daring to hope.

The boy shrugged. “Why not? At least for a while, as we can always see how things go,” he said.

They grinned at each other.

“Let’s try to get the families together, that way we get to see our real parents,” suggested the boy.

“Deal!” said the girl. “By the way, I’m Amy.”

“Hi, I’m John,” he replied, both laughing at the strange formality of their decision. Both had similar mid-Atlantic accents, so both were now capable of blending in perfectly with the other’s environment.

So it was, that on a bright July morning in 1988, two young people decided to play out the cards that life had dealt the other. They would continue to contact each other regularly, but crossovers were now a thing of the past - almost.

They were both about to start their final year at their junior schools, and both were more than happy with the identities they had assumed.

Amy was up early, dressed in a really pretty red and white dress. The school had broken up a few days before, so vacation time had arrived.

She was at the kitchen table, writing a letter when her mother appeared.

Helen frowned for two reasons. It was so unlike Amy to be up early when there was no school and, her mother noted with deep surprise, she wearing her best dress. In the old days, it almost took a team of horses and a case-opener to get the girl out of bed before noon, let alone wear a dress!

The girl looked up as she came in. Helen noticed she was wearing a touch of makeup.

Amy was a very pretty girl, so finally, at ten, permitted herself to be the girl that her mother knew was there all along. As her mother noticed the gentle feminine curves that had started to develop, she put down her attitude changes to her hormones and her physical body becoming a young woman.

Certainly, the last few months or so had seen the most profound change in her. All her teachers had been quite clear that something had changed for the better.

“Morning, Honey, you’re up early. There’s no school today, did you forget?”

“No, Mom. I just wanted to write my pen-friend.”

“Oh yes, and where does she live?”

“England, and she’s a he.”

“What’s his name?”

“John Brightwell. He lives in a village in the Cotswolds. It is in Oxfordshire.”

Helen picked up the scrap of paper on which his address was printed.

“How did this come about?”

“A group of us at school thought it would be neat to find out about kids in other countries, so we took names from a hat. I got John.”

“Oh, that’s nice. How old is he?”

“A few days older than me, I think. I don’t know a whole lot about him yet, just his name, age and address.”

“Has he written to you yet?”

“No, this is my first letter.”

Helen smiled. There had been a time when she had thought that Paul would have been her son-in-law. Nevertheless, recently, her main worry was that Amy was going to be turn out to be a lesbian.

“So, who else is writing?”

“I’m not sure. I think Paul is writing to someone in England as well.”

“Have you had breakfast?” Helen asked, having exhausted that subject.

“Yes, and I washed it up,” Amy said without looking up.

Helen smiled, shaking her head. Wonders will never cease. She made herself a coffee and put a bagel under the grill.

“What are you doing today?” she asked.

“Whatever. I’ve nothing planned,” Amy replied, still scribbling.

“I have to go shopping, all the boys are due back this weekend, do you fancy coming with me?” she asked. She was almost positive the answer would be negative, so Amy surprised her once more by simply saying, “Sure, what time?”

They reached the mall by ten, so it was still quite empty. Helen realised that her previous forays into stores with Amy usually ended in frayed tempers and a screaming match. On this occasion, however, Amy seemed content to stay with her mother as she went round the large supermarket collecting enough provisions for a squad of Marines.

Helen watched her daughter surreptitiously as they walked up and down the aisles, and later once they’d left the supermarket and ventured further into the mall. Amy was very relaxed, so Helen noticed she took any and every opportunity to look at her reflection in any window or mirror.

She moved with real feminine grace, such a grace that Helen despaired of ever seeing in her. It was all so sudden, for only a few months ago she would fight like a wild cat even the suggestion of wearing a dress and trying makeup. Yet now she had put it on with no prompting, yet subtly enough for a girl of her age, which was unlike many young girls who wanted to emulate the movie stars or singers.

Amy was blissfully unaware of her mother’s scrutiny. Ever since she had agreed with the original Amy to take her place, she had felt it was like coming home.

Helen and Amy shopped for most of the morning, and then enjoyed a light lunch at one of the many restaurants in the mall. Surprising her mother seemed order of the day, for instead of the usual pizza or burger, Amy settled for a tuna salad. They then talked about clothes and makeup, so Helen found herself getting to know her daughter as if for the first time.

It was surreal, almost as if she was a completely different person.

She even said as much when Amy made a statement about one particular paragon of fashion who minced past their table on heels that were too high, a skirt that was too tight and too short for her rather too robust thighs.

“Hey, Amy, are you sure you’re my daughter? I get that surreal feeling that I’m out with a complete stranger.”

Amy had given her that sweet smile of hers, but then put on a robot-type voice.

“But I am, Mom-my dear. I am a com-plete-ly diff-er-ent per-son. Aliens snatched your daugh-ter a-way, and put me in her place, so I have had to learn ev-ery-thing about her life from scratch. My real name is X35 and I am a hu-man-oid an-droid de-signed by the six-legged be-ings on Tenth-rad Three,” she said.

Helen stared at her with an open mouth for a second, but then both of them dissolved into tears of laughter.

Helen found her ‘new’ daughter very refreshing.

“Honey, what’s made you change so much so quickly?” she asked.

Amy shrugged, wondering how she should reply. She’d been expecting to have to explain her change at some point, but this was rather sooner than she was prepared for.

“I don’t know, Mom. I guess I was tired fighting and my body was telling me that I’m a girl, so I sort of gave in to be the person I should have been.”

Helen smiled, as judging by the admiring looks Amy was getting from the younger males, she was developing into a very attractive young woman.

After lunch, Helen took Amy to the hairdressers.

“Now we’re into double figures, it’s time for missy here to have a grown up style. If you can keep it long, but make her look like the stunning teen instead of the cute little girl,” she instructed.

After two hours, Amy was amazed that her hair could reflect light in such a way. Shelly, the hairdresser, had cut quite a lot from it, but she had also styled it beautifully, so as to accentuate the shape of her head and frame her face.

Then her Mom had treated her to some new clothes and more grown up underwear, as well as some pretty shoes with slightly high heels.

When they got home and emptied the car, Helen taught Amy a little about makeup.

Helen had never attempted this before, as the Amy she knew would have simply run into the yard and hidden at the very suggestion. However, having seen that Amy had attempted some makeup earlier, she felt it was time.

Now she found the girl interested and actually quite adept at applying it herself. Then, she stayed with her mother in the kitchen, being helpful and even trying to learn about cooking.

Helen smiled at Amy as she said a little silent prayer of thanks for the exchange of an angel for her old daughter.

As the days passed, Helen found that even angels have their bad days, for Amy wasn’t always delightful, as occasionally tempers frayed. Even so, Helen would never complain about the Amy now, compared to the one of a short time ago.
 

*          *          *

 
The vacation passed and, as agreed, the pair never re-crossed over, but they communicated frequently. They were able to seek the other’s advice about people’s identity, or places with which the other was familiar.

For example, at a family function that Amy attended, she had to get the original to tell her who everyone was and answer some questions. For John in England, often it was with schoolwork that he needed assistance. The time difference was a real pain, for usually these questions came when the other was sound asleep.

All in all, however, they were very successful. More importantly, they were both blissfully happy with the arrangement, except for one thing. Despite becoming very fond of their new parents and families, both missed their original parents and siblings. To be precise, John missed his brothers in the States, while Amy was quite happy not to have Miles breathing down her neck any more, but found she missed her original parents dreadfully at times.

The holidays passed very quickly, during which John and his family went camping in France for two weeks. The lad adored the place, as there was every sport known to man, almost. He canoed, swam, windsurfed, cycled, rode horses, learned archery, played soccer, and even cricket. Although he’d attended a Scottish school, his father had played cricket for his school First XI and was still interested in the game as a player, although not so much as a spectator.

Miles was feeling a little left behind. From being the only sporty person in the family, he suddenly found himself with serious competition. His younger brother was now a tough competitor and refused to give up even when seemingly losing. As a result Miles had to try harder, so the battles moved from the bedroom to the sports arena, where they developed healthy respect for each other. They almost became friends.

Rebecca was astounded at the change in her younger brother, and was unsure how or why it happened. For so profound a change, she felt that something must have been wrong with him.

Not that he had been ill, but she was just not able to accept that anyone could change so much in such a short space of time. It was almost as if he had become a different person. She had not been around during much of the transition period, although it was short, James and Kathleen had been present throughout, so Becky missed the gradual change and suddenly found herself sharing a home with a completely different boy.
 

*          *          *

 
Amy and her family had always spent time in the mountains, camping as it should be done. When the British family arrived at their campsite in France to find a fully equipped tent already erected, with all amenities on site to a four star standard, John was amazed as the Americans had to take everything with them.

The amenities were what they could carry, but Amy really loved the real outdoors. Her brothers were great, although slightly disappointed that the tomboy had been replaced by a more feminine version, she was still good fun, so she got to know Kyle and Martin much better.

Helen really came to appreciate her new daughter on this holiday. Whereas before, she had been the only female, as Amy had been an honorary boy for the duration, behaving no differently to her brothers. In fact, she seemed more macho and slightly worse than the boys, who would at least do their share of the chores. Chores were allocated, but Amy’s policy of doing hers so late or so badly in the hope to be released from having to do them, was trying in the extreme.

However, now Amy shared her mother’s traditional chores and bullied her brothers to do theirs as well. Neil and Helen looked on in pure incredulity as she almost took over the domestic management of the campsite.

When the holidays ended, Amy was actually looking forward to school, and in the first few weeks made loads of new friends.

John however was less enthusiastic about his schoolwork. He adored his sports, so made the most of every opportunity to play anything he could.

His schoolwork, however, was not so wonderful. He had been a quiet and quite industrious child before, but now he was extroverted and rather a clown. In those subjects he had excelled, he now barely passed a decent grade.

His circle of friends increased to the extent that Jacquie was rather peeved, as she preferred the old John who had been her special friend. The new John was always playing football, or some other sporty or energetic activity, rarely having time for her, let alone her pastimes.

He responded to positive role models, such as Mr Symes the PE teacher. The rather dull and softer women, such as the geography teacher Mrs Hannay, he ignored and so his grades dropped alarmingly.

His father, as a surgeon, was in a well-paid job, decided to look at a different school for him. The local State schools were all right, but John’s grades were causing him concerns. At this rate, he would dip below standard on the Eleven-plus. Therefore, James and Kathleen looked at a local private school that offered excellent opportunities in sports and vocational qualifications as well as the standard academic exams.

On the adjacent hill to the village of Churchill is the picturesque campus of Kingham Hill School. Set up with a Christian ethos, and designed to offer a well-balanced education for all levels of achievers, it was a perfect setting for a boy whose sporting abilities needed nurturing and whose academic abilities had yet to be really tested or nurtured.

The fees were well within James’ means, particularly as John would be a dayboy and not a boarder. Miles, a bright boy, who seemed at achieve middle to upper grades in all his work, was already in a good secondary School in Chipping Norton, where he was doing well. Nevertheless, James thought that it would do them both good to be separate for the duration of their secondary education.

John found himself taken up to ‘The Hill’ and undertook a comprehensive entry test. He had seen the extensive facilities, and though he fancied rugby, he had not yet played the game, as he watched out the window as the boys played on one of the many pitches.

There were girls here too. Although a fraction of the boys, they still had a significant effect overall. He was given a tour while the tests were scrutinised.

He liked the atmosphere, even if it was so removed from anything he had experienced before. The main positive thing was that he was unknown here. No one who had known the old John was here, so he could really be himself for the first time ever.

The several hopefuls were brought together, each being interviewed one at a time by the headmaster.

After it was over, John and his parents were informed that he had passed, and that a place would be available for him in the following September, one year from now.

When John went back to his school, he suddenly felt as if the pressure was off. However, instead of switching off, he relaxed and his grades started to improve across the board. They were nothing special, but more acceptable than before.


 
To Be Continued...

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awwww

Mew this story made me rethink my feelings on bodyswap stories. Normally I'd be against it because of hte families mew... but... is it any different from adoption? Having a child that wasn't originally yours by birth mew, but you still love her/him/hir with all your heart and soul mew. You still want to protect them from the evils of the outside world and want them to grow up healthy and happy mew

So... if in that mindset, is it really a tragedy to the parents? Both parents get the lil girl and lil boy they always wanted mew. They even at one point are praising God for the change, sure they might miss the old child mew, but perhaps this is for the best. After all they couldn't understand their children before but now they can really connect mew. Maybe this is how it was supposed to be? I wonder mew, I really do ^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Bisexual, transsexual, girlie girl, princess, furry that writes horror stories and proud ^^

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Wonderful

As per the previous comment, I am not usually a fan of body swap stories. But this one has caught my fancy. I can not wait to see what happens as I am sure all is not well. I think that this is my favorite story of yours so far.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

We have been spoiled so far

We have been spoiled so far by reading your completed works which like this keep the reader wanting to read until the end with your rich stories and strong characters. I have enjoyed this story so far but like many other of the great stories here the waiting for new chapters is torture :D.

The rss feed helps remove the refresh game as it alerts when the new stuff is posted by the author :)

Wistful Thinking

terrynaut's picture

I'd still like to hear some sort of explanation for how this all began, but I'm fairly sure that I'm not going to get it. :p

Wouldn't it be nice if all gender dysphoric people could find swap mates? *sigh*

I like the pen pal idea and the plans to get the two families together. It's almost like having one large extended family. At least it would be if the two kids ever confess. I'm sure their confession would make for a nice scene.

Thanks very much for this and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

WIll Jaqui and Paul meet and full in love.

RAMI

Will Jauqui and Paul get pulled into this sureal world and fall in love? While they want to be loyal to their original friend, it seems the new inhabitant of that body, may be leaving them out of their lives.

So will the penpal thing lead to a greater relationshiop. It could be a nice side story to the main plot.

RAMI

RAMI

Jauqui and Paul

I kinda feel sorry for them. In a very real way, their closest friend moved away,... into another body! I found myself hoping they would pen pal each other because after all they have an experience they can't really share with anyone else too! This is such a sweet story so far, but I don't know where it is going. Are Amy and John going to become soulmates or in a way are they already? Are they going to end up going their own ways? The two of them getting together would seem to be the best solution given how much they missed their original families. Having them as in-laws would help.

Once again Tanya your wonderful writing has attracted those who normally wouldn't read this sub-genre. Rather than body switch this is more like body trading with each convinced they got the best possible deal. :)

Hugs!
grover

You owe me a saucepan!

Hi Tanya
I have been reading your stories over the last few months and have loved them all but this time I really do have to take you to task.
I started reading this with some reservation as I am not usually into body-swap stories.
Nevertheless I became so gripped and was enjoying it so much that I have burnt the pan that the last of this weeks home made chicken, carrot, tomato and coriander soup was in.
So that's an enforced break to clean up and another session tomorrow to get the crust off the bottom of the pan.
Keep it up girl, I love it, what's a pan compared to sheer enjoyment.
Love
Anna
xx

Anna

I can certainly see how the

I can certainly see how the swapping back and forth, plus the time differences when questions are being asked could take a toll on both Amy and John. I just hope that they don't lose their best friends, Jacquie and Paul, as they have stood by the both of them during this entire time. This is really an interesting twist of a story and keeps me, and I am sure, others wanting to read more. Having gotten in "trouble" using American English when I lived in England as a Teen, and the getting in "trouble" using Queen's English when we came back to the United States, I can fully sympathize with both Amy and John.
Thanks for a great story, Tanya. J-Lynn

Body Swap Stories

I'm not a fan of any story where the tgism is the primary story. I like a story where the TGism could almost be removed entirely and the story goes on..

I admit that the TG part plays to my heart and I'm fond of stories with TG subjects. But like Scott's stories... the slow progression from male to female (or the other way) is buried in the soup that is the story the protagonist struggles against... Being TG (whether welcome or not) is almost a back burnered idea.

k... so you've swapped bodies... then what did you do? *grin*

Dayna.

ps. Nice work Tanya.

So, are you Britsh or American?

I suppose the answer is YES!

I'd heard that the schools that your parents pay for are called public schools and the private ones are the ones that the gov't pays for; just the reverse of America, but not wrong at all.

Wishing I were Welsh and spoke only, er, well Welsh, I suppose.

Gwendolyn