Manimal Part 16

Printer-friendly version

Library, Team Alpha, O’ahu, Hawaii:
Stacy looks at the start of the essay she was writing her ethics class. It’s been nearly two weeks since the prison break and it’s been semi-quiet. Several new government sponsor teams have sprung up. Not only that, several independent teams have sprung up as well.

One of the newer teams had a girl with the tail of a squirrel tail and was extremely agile. She was working with several other young members. There were at least six members on her team.

Stacy goes back to typing and doesn’t hear Beverly as she walks into the library. She was to focus on the essay she had to write.

Beverly spots Stacy lying on one of the lounge sofas in the library. She knew Stacy was small enough to fill the space on the lounger.

“How’s it going, Stacy?” Beverly leans against the loveseat near the lounger.

Stacy jumps from being surprised by Beverly’s voice. She looks at Beverly with a shocked look on her face.

“You gave me a heart attack, Bev.” Stacy was trying to get her heart rate under control.

“Sorry, what are you working on?” Beverly knew Stacy signed up to take college courses during their downtime.

All of them had jobs and hobbies outside of doing government work. She was getting her lawyer's license. Pollux and Dingo invested in a local brewing company and were making their beers, rum, and mead. Pollux tweaked the recipe he found for the old-style mead.

Dingo was making his brand of rum based on an old recipe that was used by a member of Captain James Cook’s crew. Spirit, was working with a group of Hawaiian cowboys. The leader of the cowboys was amazed that Spirit was an actual Native American Indian.

“An essay Professor Jones assigned. Here’s the situation he gave us. There are seven shipwreck passengers and you have a lifeboat that can
only carry four, including yourself. Of the seven passengers, there are three kids. Of the seven people, who would you choose to board the life raft? And why?”

“Easy, with your abilities it wouldn’t matter.” Beverly knew Stacy could carry all the surviving passengers without breaking a sweat.

“That’s what I was going to write before he said I can’t include any superheroes or myself.” Stacy knew Professor Jones knew she had super abilities.

“That is a dilemma. What was your answer to the situation?” Beverly knew Stacy wore her heart on her sleeve.

“I would take all the kids and one of the adults with me, leaving behind the others.”

“Why wouldn’t you stay behind and give your seat to one of the other adults?” Beverly figured Stacy would offer her seat to the survivors.

“Because neither of the other survivors would know the way back to the rescue ships or safety.”

“Does your instructor allow you to go back for the others?”

“He didn’t say. However, he is more concerned about what you would do.” Stacy knew her instructor was more concerned about your ethics.

“That is a hard choice. The thing is, that situation is a reasonable one. You know as well as I do, that one day we will have to make that choice.” Beverly knew one day they might have to choose from that.

“I know, and I don’t think I can make it. If it came down to saving one of you guys or letting someone, I don’t know live. I’ll always choose you
guys.” Stacy looked at Beverly and could tell she was a little disappointed with her statement.

“Stacy, it's our job to protect the innocent. If it means letting one of us die, then so be it. However, I know you have a big heart and care for everyone.” Beverly ruffles Stacy’s hair, before walking out of the library.

Stacy shakes her head to get her hair back like it was and goes back to work. She still had the essay to finish and several other classes to do. She was just glad that Beverly and Dingo helped her get her GED degree, so she could go to college.

She had to drop out of high school when her abilities surfaced and the government took her to be trained. Sure, she learned a lot of skills during boot camp, but none of them were going to allow her to make a living. By the time Tina informs Stacy that dinner is ready. She was almost done with everything.

Stacy walks into the dining room and spots Dingo chugging down a beer from his and Pollux’s company. She shakes her head as she sits down next to Beverly.

“Where have you been hiding all day, Lassie?” A smirk appears on Dingo’s face.

“That is getting old, Dingo.” Stacy was getting upset every time Dingo called her Lassie.

The reason he was calling her that, was because of the HPD officer who gave him a ticket for her. She had turned into a dog and was out looking for a missing child. Because she wasn’t on a leash or had dog tags. The officer fined Dingo.

“I’ll get you a dog collar and tags to go on it tomorrow, Stacy.” Tina paid the fine Dingo got from the funds she got to care for the house.

“Just don’t put Lassie on them, Tina.” Stacy watched some old shows about Lassie.

“Hey Pollux, how is that new moonshine recipe doing?” Dingo looks towards Pollux.

“It’s getting there. I invited the person who created it to come and help us with it.” Pollux couldn’t believe the moonshiner who invited it, was as young as Stacy.

Pollux saw her on an episode of American Spirits. He liked the recipe she showcased and contacted her and asked to be allowed to produce the recipe. He was willing to pay her for it.

“That’s good. I can’t wait to taste it.” Dingo loved that the moonshine was made using sugarcane.

They had a nice supplier that supplied them with all sorts of sugars they might need. They also supplied them with everything they needed for their different beers and such. They had several different micro beers and alcoholic hard seltzers they made.

It was Dingo’s and Pollux’s turn to clean the kitchen. Spirit was out with some cattle and will be gone for a week or so. So, the chore schedule had to be redone.

“How is your college work coming along, Stacy?” Tina looks at Stacy.

“I’m almost done with all my assignments, Tina. I have three thousand more words to write for my last assignment.” Stacy got most of the report done.

“Do you need me to proof it for you?” Tina didn’t mind helping Stacy out.

“If you want to. I think I got everything right.” Stacy hoped she got everything right.

Stacy finishes her dinner and goes back to working on her report. She manages to get everything done and hands it to Tina to look over. Afterward, she takes a nice bubble bath and gets ready for bed. She stays up for a while reading, before falling asleep.

up
39 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos