Dot and Sam 11

Printer-friendly version

Dot and Sam 11

On the train Journey to Bristol, Georgie remained deep in thought as she contemplated meeting her father whilst now presenting as a girl. For Marty, the idea of her normally vivacious and chatty friend remaining so silent and introspective, was a clear sign that Georgie wanted no disturbance. Instead, Marty downloaded a historical novel on her phone and remained silent. Dot smiled inwardly as she contemplated the two normally outgoing teenagers both engrossed in their own thoughts so she also settled back and took to also studying the pub accounts on her phone. She was glad that her companion Sam had tucked a USB manifold into her bag so that the single USB socket supplied to each set of four facing seats could be properly utilised.

Eventually, the train reached Bristol and the trio disembarked.

“Can you see him love?” Dot asked Georgie, as the girl scanned the platform.

Georgie wagged her head and suggested they go and search the restaurant. She obviously had the same thoughts as her father for they met just as he was folding his newspaper and leaving his table. Georgie tensed fearfully as she prepared for any eventuality.

“Hello daddy.” She offered softly as her father was turning to leave.

Trevor Aitkins’ eyes widened bemusedly as his eyebrows shot up. He had recognised the voice behind him but when he turned he did not immediately identify the pretty girl looking at him. Uncertainly, he asked in a cautious whisper as recognition slowly dawned.

“George?”

“It’s Georgina now daddy, but friends call me Georgie.”

The open-handed way that Georgie had revealed herself to her father was a clear demonstration that she knew her dad had always loved her and she did not expect any ‘back-lash’ from him concerning her appearance. Nevertheless, she was a little fearful.

Trevor stood still for some moments until he realised he was blocking the doorway. Then he realised the girl before him was desperately nervous so he stepped back towards his vacated table and eagerly offered her a seat as he tested the girl’s name on his tongue.

“Georgina,” he repeated, as his mind raced to remember to smile reassurance, “take a seat son, - sorry, I mean darling. Is it okay to say darling?”

The visible tension in Georgie’s demeanour evaporated magically and outside on the platform, peering through the doorway, Dot relaxed with a noticeable sigh.

“It’s wonderful if you say darling, daddy!” Georgie croaked as emotion gripped her throat while a tear forced itself from her eye when she realised her dad definitely seemed to be accepting her.

Trevor was about to say ‘Stop crying’, before he remembered he was talking to, - and looking at a girl, - his daughter! Instead, he reached self-consciously into his anorak pocket and took a reasonably clean but crumpled handkerchief and proffered it to her. Georgie took it graciously and dabbed her eye. She had anticipated tears earlier that morning so she had avoided make-up except for a hint of lipstick. In truth, Georgie was so pretty she did not need make-up,

“Thanks,” she croaked again as she dabbed her eye.

“Is it okay to hug you?” Trevor whispered.

She nodded vigorously as a huge grin split her features. Then, despite having taken a seat, she extended her arms towards her father and he responded.

That is how Dot and Marty found them as they followed discreetly at some small distance into the restaurant. Georgie did not see them with her back to the door and Trevor did not recognise them so Dot took the opportunity to order a large, family pot of tea and some cakes from the service counter. Then, as Georgie was recovering her composure, Dot left the serving queue and made herself known as she raised an inquisitive eyebrow. Georgie immediately grinned and nodded ‘success’!

“I came with friends daddy; I hope you don’t mind.” She whispered to her father as she indicated Dot and Marty.

Trevor looked around to see two smiling people approaching with the large tray. He stood up and gave a slight smile as Dot motioned with the tray and a questioning expression.

“May we join you?”

“If you don’t mind tears, by all means.” Trevor allowed.

Dot grinned at Georgie’s tear-stained cheeks and asked her.

“I take it things have gone well?” She continued as she placed the tray on the table and handed Trevor’s previously used cup to Marty who promptly returned it to the tray-stacker.

Georgie nodded contentedly and croaked “thanks.”

Dot explained to Trevor

“Georgie lives with me, I fostered her.”

“Oh! I see. May I ask where?”

Dot turned to Georgie and asked.

“Are you happy to say?”

Georgie nodded and replied.

“Yes, my real dad would never harm me.”

Trevor felt a warm flush of happy relief as he realised that his son – no, his daughter, apparently felt no anger towards him. Dot nodded and smiled then turned towards Trevor again.

Dot explained that Georgie lived with her and gave the address, then she explained further. “Georgie’s been looking for you since before I met her. She’s very fond of you.”

“She never answered my letters,” Trevor revealed, “but I think I know why now. Her stepfather leaves something to be desired. I gave up eventually.”

“I never got them,” Georgie sobbed, “my egg donor, or worse, the stepdad must have intercepted them.”

“Sadly we can’t touch her for that, Georgie was under-age.” Dot advised. “Her mother probably had custody rights.”

“She did,” Trevor confirmed. “I was so wounded; I didn’t even contest it in court.”

“Well that’s water under the bridge now. Georgie is an emancipated junior, she is free to come and go, though I believe she likes living with me.”

“You bet!” Georgie affirmed as she stretched an arm to hug Dot. “But I‘d like to resume seeing my dad again, now that I’ve found him.”

“Nobody here want’s to stop you Georgie,” Dot arched her eyebrows as she explained, “you’re an emancipated junior.”

“Can daddy come to stay with us?”

“Certainly, if he’s agreeable, you’d best explain everything though, first.”

“Not here,” Georgie baulked, “not in this café, it’s too public.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After finishing their cakes and tea, they trooped out of the railway restaurant with Georgie holding both her father’s and her foster mother’s arms. Marty walked ahead until Trevor called her back as they located their chosen destination and found a quiet secluded pub that offered privacy. Once seated, Dot explained Georgie’s situation concerning The Harbour Light, then Georgie explained her transgenderism.

It was not Trevor however, who expressed surprise, it was Marty.

“But I thought you were just gay!” Marty squeaked.

“What made you think that?” Georgie frowned.

“Never mind, I’d rather not say.”

“Why not. There are no secrets now.”

“No. I’d rather not, please.” Marty pleaded.

Georgie shrugged. “Okay, it’s no skin off my nose, but if it gets out in school about my transgenderism, I’ll know who’s been blabbing!”

“I’ll be the last person to reveal anything like that.”

“Why?” Georgie demanded.

“I’d rather not say, honestly.”

“Friends shouldn’t have secrets from each other,” Georgie repeated.

“Is it that bad?” Trevor intervened, hoping to close down the potential for enmity between Georgie and Marty.

Marty felt overwhelmed and turned pleadingly to Dot. Dot sympathised and went to Marty’s aid.

“Can there be anything that bad love. I mean the school knows you’ve got issues.”

“It’s not Georgie,” Marty slumped with defeat. “It’s my brother. He’s still sweet on Marty. He’s been living in hope since the abuse thing at the beginning of term.”

“Oh shit!” Georgie cursed softly. “And I suppose he's hoping to use our friendship as some sort of 'in'."

Marty nodded despondently and Georgie responded.

"You’re going to have to put him off.”

“How? Marty scoffed. “Every boy in the school’s got the hots for you. If I get him to leave you alone other boys are gonna try and they’ll ask him why he dropped you.”

Georgie fell silent as she contemplated the alternative. If the boys found out she was transgender, there were bound to be some transphobes who’d make things difficult if not dangerous. Every schoolkid knew that school bullies would always find a way to get to you, even outside of school if necessary. In fact, more probably out of school.

After reflection, she concluded it was best to let the boys think she was gay, a ‘lipstick-lesbian’ as the conventionalists would have it. The bullies would be less likely to abuse what they saw as a pretty girl who was ‘a waste’ from their macho point of view because they had ‘no chance’.

The food arrived and the table fell silent as they each kept their thoughts private while enjoying the meal. After the meal, Georgie exchanged details with her bio-dad Trevor who promised to drop by in the week if she wanted to see him again.

“Of course I want to see you Daddy, again and again and again! Can you make it Wednesday or Thursday cos that’s what best fits my homework nights.”

Trevor glanced questioningly at Dot who nodded a happy consent as she extended the invitation.

“You can stay overnight Wednesday to Thursday if you want. You’ll have good opportunity to see what’s going on with the archaeological dig and see how Georgie’s set up accommodation-wise. If Georgie want’s Marty there, she’s more than welcome.”

“I’m going down to the dig on Thursday anyway,” Marty owned, “ it will be in my own right with my history dissertation. Jessie’s said they’re possibly lifting the stern post of the ancient boat buried in the basin on Thursday if they can get the excavation dry enough. I really want to be there for that and all of my history class-mates have permission to attend as well. The History master is a keen maritime historian so he’s got permission for the whole class to attend.”

Georgie grinned inwardly as she observed, “More trade for Dot.”

Dot just grinned knowingly as the waiter arrived with the bill and Trevor almost snatched it out of his hand as though to emphasise that the day had been his treat. Dot smiled ‘thank-you’ as the group left to return to the station. There, in the time -honoured tradition, Georgie leaned out of the train window to hug her new-found father as the train blasted it’s horn and announced its departure.

“See you Wednesday darling,” Trevor promised as Georgie realised her father had a tear in his eye.

“And Thursday Daddy.” She promised whilst relishing the smile her promise brought to her dads face.

On their journey home, Marty and Georgie chatted at length about transgenderism while Dot kept her silence but listened to make sure Marty’s curiosity was kept within its bounds. On the Sunday morning, Georgie worked an extra shift to make up for Saturday’s day off but in the Sunday afternoon she spent the whole day catching up with schoolwork and she collapsed contentedly on the bed to text good night to her Dad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday afternoon was the midweek break when students could pursue their own interests and Georgie met her dad off the train from Gloucester.

“You should have brought the car.” Georgie observed.

“The train’s easier and more relaxing,” he replied as they hailed a cab outside the station and Georgie gave directions to The Harbour Light.

“A genuinely ancient pub then.” Trevor remarked as they spilled out of the taxi.

“Oh yes Daddy. It’s been recently demonstrated to have connections going back to before the town. They believe there’s been some sort of strong-point on the rocky outcrop since before Viking times.”

“Fascinating. Those woods on the other bank, they look fairly ancient.”

“They are, if you stand by that old, gnarled oak and look across the river towards the pub, it looks like a miniature version of St Michael’s mount in Cornwall. This has always been some sort of strong point cum look-out”

As Georgie explained, she tapped her hand on the reinforced gable corner at the extreme corner of the ancient pub that overlooked the estuary and the lane they had just travelled.

“Doesn’t this dressed stone corner look like a reinforced base of some sort of tower?” Georgie opined.

“Now you come to mention it. Yes,” Trevor agreed as he studied the protruding shelf. “What’s that metal thing up there?”

“That’s a reproduction of the old leading light that used to guide boats up the estuary. The original used to be kept in the cellar for when the tides allowed navigation as part of the medieval trades. It’s now been placed in the pub restaurant as part of the historic display. I’ll show it to you later, let’s go and meet Dot and Sam.”

Trevor followed happily and dumped his case behind the bar as Dot and Sam welcomed him.

“Tea or coffee?” Sam called from the kitchen as Dot led Trevor to their living room.”

Trevor settled comfortably into a well cushioned recliner chair and they were soon chatting about Georgie’s set-up. After a longish chat, Dot led him around the pub then showed him the room appointed for his daughter.

“Georgie’s room has got the nicest aspect of the estuary and furthest from the Friday and Saturday hurly-burly of the drag shows.” She gets peace to study from Sunday to Thursday.”

“Are you okay with that darling?” Trevor asked Georgie.

“Heck yes. My own space and my own privacy, even my own bathroom?”

“Yes, I noticed.” Trevor nodded approvingly. “So what’s happening outside? I see the excavations and tents.”

“Dot gave a brief explanation then suggested Georgie do the ‘Cook’s Tour’ of the excavations.

“Dinner will be at six, immediately after the restaurant is closed.”

Trevor could sense his daughter’s keen anticipation so he simply asked leave to change into more suitable clothes and he met in the Pub fore-court overlooking the excavations.

“There’s a lot going on,” he mused, as he scanned the site. “Where is this boat, they’ve found.”

“There’s two boats, but this sea going boat looks like being the most interesting. I’ll introduce you to the archaeologist,” Georgie offered as she led him around the perimeter fence.

After a brief introduction, Georgie led Trevor first to the trading canal-boat up in the storage pond then down deep into the excavations where the seagoing boat lay partially submerged in the mud.

“There’s not much to see,” Trevor grinned.

“They keep it wet to preserve it then pump out the hole if they want to work on it. You’ll see a lot more tomorrow if they decide to extract any artefacts.”

“Are they going to preserve it?”

“It depends on funding. The more they find, the more excited the archaeologists get and the more depressed the developers get.”

Trevor chuckled as Georgie finally led him to the large warehouse where they intended to preserve the barge.

It was dark by the time Georgie had completed her tour and Trevor was secretly grateful to seek the warmth of the pub. Georgie made her excuses to go and do some homework while Trevor chatted at length about the project to develop the basin. He could see why Dot was keen to create a somewhat Dickensian ambience and he imagined ‘Christmas Card’ images of the basin with ancient sailing ships filling the scene.

“All it needs is Money,” Trevor sighed as he studied the prospectus prepared by the council.

Dot shrugged and sighed wryly.

“They’ve exhausted all the lottery money excavating the archaeology, the lottery fund won’t grant anymore.”

“Pity,” Trevor commiserated as he closed the booklet and yawned. “Time for Bed I think.”

The three adults agreed and picked their way to their respective bedrooms. On his way along the corridor, Trevor sneaked a peek into his daughter’s room and smiled affectionately as he spied her curled up foetally with her duvet pulled tight around her neck and text books by the pillow. Silently, he crept away to his own room and lay happily reflecting in the dark that he had finally located his lost child.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

up
113 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

All's Well

joannebarbarella's picture

That hasn't ended yet.

Maybe Trevor can help with the archeology?

Nice chapter, Bev.

Perhaps she’ll be a LUG?

gillian1968's picture

I understand a lot of girls are Lesbian Until Graduation (LUG).

I wouldn’t know from my own experience. But it might be a strategy for Georgie.

Gillian Cairns

A lug?

A lesbian until Graduation!
Well, I must confess I never heard that expression during my university years (mature student from 1961 to1975) but it sounds like a workable strategy to avoid the glands; provided one's own libido can handle such stresses, and sensory denial.

bev_1.jpg

Georgies life

Wendy Jean's picture

Just got a major upgrade, finding family who loves you is never a bad thing.