Dot and Sam 26

Printer-friendly version

Dot and Sam 26

Dorothy Philpot. Landlady of The Harbour Light pub
Sam Philpot. Drag-queen and lifelong companion of Dot’s.
Billy Parkins Doorkeeper.
Jessica Merlot The town’ and county archaeologist.
Josephine MacDonald The town and county archivist.
Richard Drummond Town planning inspector
Robert Vincent. Junior planning inspector.
Georgina. (Georgie) Homeless Transgender girl previously known as George.
Bobby Gay boy on the school bus.
Marty Girl on the school bus. (She becomes Georgie’s best friend and lover)
Jack. Marty’s twin brother (Keen runner).
Trevor Aitkins, Georgie’s Biological father.
Lucinda Aitkins Georgie’s biological mother
Terence Georgie’s step-dad
Allison. Old school friend of Trevor
Fred Allison’s husband
Elizabeth Aitkins (Beth) Georgie’s younger sister. Later proves to be sympathetic to her ‘sister’
Jonathon Aitkins (Johnny) Georgie’s younger brother.
Rosie the Rivetter Terf Gang Leader on campus.

Chapter 26

Beth and Johhny watched Georgie’s train glide away from the platform and disappear into the rain sodden night, then they turned into the rain and ducked into their father’s car as it circled past for the umpteenth time.

“Thanks dad, for waiting.” They chorused gratefully as Trevor pulled into the traffic and picked his way to the M40.

“You’re both like your mother,” he chuckled, “you love long goodbyes.”

“Well we may not see her until Easter or even Summer.” Beth protested.

“It’s only two or three hours down the motorway.” He pointed out. “We could visit her where she lives. Provided you keep your step-father and step-brother away.”

“Does she hate them that much?” Johnny asked.

“She’s more afraid of them than hating them. She’s made it abundantly clear she won’t ever see them. We could probably see her after Christmas even; if you’re that desperate to see her.”

“That would be nice,” Johnny observed softly, “I’d like to meet the women who rescued her when she was living rough, if only to say thank you.”

Eventually, Beth and Johhny dozed off, leaving Trevor free to pick his way through the congested traffic and steadily increasing rain. Later as they approached Birmingham he stopped for a break at a service station. There he confirmed arrangements with Lucinda and later dropped the children off at their mothers. Lucinda wanted to know everything about Georgie’s situation but Trevor was forced to keep it brief as he had work on the Saturday.

“You’d best ask Beth or Johnny. They’ll be able to tell you everything they know”

Lucinda had to accept this brief information and resolved to pump her children in the morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the train racing ‘none-stop’ westwards to Bristol, Georgie dozed intermittently, grateful for the uninterrupted opportunity to sleep then think; then intermittently think then sleep as she turned the events at college and the attack at Paddington Station, over in her mind. Eventually she decided to take the issue to the student advisor when she returned for the spring term.

Having decided this, she forced the issue to the back of her mind and determinedly tried to sleep. Unfortunately, when the train stopped at Bristol, it filled up with lots of travellers who had travelled down from the north and made the Bristol connection for onward journeys west. Georgie found her peace shattered as new passengers rushed to fill the remaining empty seats. She briefly opened one eye and her heart sank as two ‘likely lads’ immediately seized the opportunity to sit beside an attractive girl.

With all the tumult of suitcases and backpacks being stored in every available space, it was impossible to feign sleep, so instead, she took out her laptop and busied herself with reading her kindle. She hoped the act of reaching into her holder and pointedly addressing her laptop made it abundantly clear that she did not wish to be disturbed. Unfortunately, many men, especially when gathered together, take confidence from their collectivity and deem it acceptable to invade other peoples’ spaces. Especially the spaces of pretty girls.

They were barely seated when one boy asked in a distinctly Cornish accent.

“Were ’re ‘m you a’goin love?”

Georgie barely looked up as she answered monosyllabically.

“West.”

“Home for Christmas is it?”

She simply nodded then started to compile her letter to the student advisor. Her fingers raced over the keys as she quickly compiled the first formalities of the letter and she made it abundantly clear she did not wish to talk.

Then, as she paused and stared thoughtfully at the reflections in the window, she noted with satisfaction that the boy sitting opposite had made a face to his mate expressing dissatisfaction and some slight resentment that the girl was NOT interested.

Pleased that her stratagem had worked, she resumed writing the letter until her phone rang. She opened it and was pleased to see that it was Dot. This gave her an excellent chance to employ the second opportunity to avoid and ignore the boys as she chatted very softly into her phone, while leaving her speaker on just loud enough to confirm that it was a genuine caller on the other end. This frustrated the boys further, for good manners dictated they could not interrupt her conversation. Finally, she reached her stop and was pleased to see that the boys were not alighting.

Within minutes, she was waiting outside the crowded station where everybody was avoiding the fine chilly drizzle whilst waiting for a taxi or looking for their lifts. Eventually, Georgie spotted Dot weaving amongst the many ‘family taxis’ as parents or partners collected their precious, mainly student cargoes. She waved furiously and Dot finally picked a spot to park. It was but a moment to load her bags and settle into the ‘shotgun’ seat where her knees quickly located the heater.

“Ooh that’s nice!” She declared as she leaned over to kiss Dot.

“Good journey?”

“Pretty much. Had to peel two guys off from Bristol to here.”

“Get used to it.” Dot sighed. “You’re pretty.”

Once clear of the town traffic, Georgie answered all Dot’s questions even though she knew that Sam would probably ask the same ones when they arrived at ‘The Harbour Light.

‘At least it showed they cared.’ She reflected.

They were still discussing arrangements for Christmas and New-Year when they arrived at the pub. After an intense hug from Sam they, spent the remainder of the evening sharing the normal routines of the pub as Georgie related her experiences at college and explained her plans for the vacation.

“Basically, Marty’s going skiing in the New Year while Trevor is stopping over in his Harbourmaster’s flat for January. Johhny and Beth might be going skiing but it’s not fixed yet. If they don’t go, they might come down and stay with my Dad.”

“So you’ll not be lonely then.” Dot grinned.

Georgie smiled back. “Crickey mum. It’s Christmas and New year I’ll be too busy to be lonely. Besides, I’ve got you two.”

Both Dot and Sam reached around each other’s back to give themselves a squeeze as they savoured the warmth in Georgie’s words. This was as close to being parents as either of them would ever get and Georgie’s words gave them considerable pleasure. Georgie spotted the brief intimacy and grinned widely.

Inevitably, that evening, there was a lock-in as Dot and Sam’s closest friends sensed the mood and a spontaneous mini-celebration ensued to welcome Georgie home. That night, as the wind and rain returned with a vengeance to hammer on Georgie’s bedroom window, she lay curled contentedly curled up in her duvet and watching the rivulets of water snake sideways across the windowpanes as the wind howled while she counted her blessings.

Came the dawn and Georgie stirred to the sounds of ‘The Harbour Light’ coming to life. Guiltily she crawled out of bed and dressed in anticipation of a hard day’s table work. Downstairs, she found Dot and Sam enjoying their mugs of coffee and she joined them before starting on the cleaning. By eleven they had the pub ready but it being Christmas eve, they knew the traffic would be light until late afternoon when the more organised shoppers stopped to eat before completing their shopping.

“There’s talk of light snow,” Sam remarked as she stood in the porch with the yard-brush, ready to finish their work.

“Well, we’re well stocked up.” Dot added as she placed the pressure hose in Georgie’s hands and cunningly retreated inside. “We can withstand a siege if we have to.”

Georgie slipped on her heavy work gloves and connected the hose before looking up thoughtfully.

“It’s cold enough for snow and that sky looks fit for it. Best we get this forecourt cleaned and get some salt ready inside the porch.”

They fell to their tasks and by the time they were done, Dot had lit the large inglenook fire. This reminded Georgie to stock up on logs so by three pm, the first diners were met by a large welcoming fire. Then Georgie’s phone vibrated and she recognised Marty’s number.

“I’m at the end of the lane and it’s starting to sleet.”

It was but a moment to take the four-by-four and collect her friend whom she found sheltering gratefully in the bus stop. As Marty climbed in Georgie asked her about her re-sit.

“I Passed, all’s well for this year. I wish I had your head for maths.”

Georgie shrugged and asked hopefully. “Are you staying over tonight.”

“If I do, I’ll have to be home early tomorrow, opening presents and stuff. That’s the main part for my younger sibs, and Mum likes it as well.”

“I’ll run you home in this if I have to. Look, there’s a snowflake.”

Before Georgie had finished her sentence, the first snowflakes began to dance in the headlights.

“It’s not heavy stuff, Marty opined, I doubt it’ll stick.”

Back at the ‘Harbour Light’ cars had already arrived and the girls started tabling the moment they got changed. As the restaurant started to fill up, Dot’s mood improved for she had been worried the snow might drive customers away and she’d be left with mountains of food. By four o’clock all the bookings were full and there was a festive clatter of food on plates as Georgie and Marty were kept busy.

By seven, the restaurant was finished and only a few regular singletons sat around the inglenook savouring the heat and the comfort of the circle of wing-back chairs. Christmas eve was mostly a time for family suppers and calming over-excited children. The ones remaining around the fire were poor soles with lonely lives and no families, so the gathering around the huge inglenook was the closest thing they had to a family Christmas.

As the girls sipped their hot glu-wine Georgie raised hopeful questioning eyebrows and Marty nodded slightly to confirm she had confirmed the evening with her parents. Dot and Sam caught the not-so-discreet interaction and smiled indulgently. By midnight, both girls were abed, and ‘a’body’. As they embraced, Marty whispered the agreement she had made with her parents.

“She’d like me home by six or seven, you know what the little ones will be like.

“You’ll have to help me harness the reindeer then,” Georgie giggled as they burrowed eagerly under the duvet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marty’s alarm dragged them reluctantly to wakefulness but the thought of turning up early Christmas morning. while the snow lay unsullied by traffic, was attractive to both girls. As the diesel rumble of the four-by-four announced their arrival at Marty’s house, the front door opened to reveal a squad of excited youngsters prancing in the hall while still dressed in pyjamas. To add to the delight, Marty and Georgie collected more presents from the four-by-four and made a show of stamping snow off their boots and coats before embracing the children and giving Marty’s mum a hug.

As she gave Marty’s mum a delightful, boxed necklace, Georgie gave her a last appreciative hug and reluctantly re-entered the four-by-four to make her way back to The Harbour Light.

“Can’t stop,” she apologised, “Needs must when the devil cracks.”

Marty’s mother sighed wistfully as she remarked to Marty.

“Does your friend ever stop? It’ll be hectic in the pub over Christmas.”

Georgie shrugged and grinned as she fastened her seat belt.

“It’ll be quiet in the pub until this evening so I won’t be doing much this morning except helping to make our own Christmas Dinner.”

“Oh is that all!? Just making Christmas dinner.”

“It’s a restaurant mum,” Marty replied pointedly. “Normally they cook for dozens. Today, it’s just three.”

“Well we are seven to dinner so you will have to help with the veg and stuff.” Her mother grinned.

“Slave driver!” Marty chuckled as she waved Georgie off then joined the ‘unwrapping’, around the tree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

up
98 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Santa driving a diesel 4x4……..

D. Eden's picture

Not exactly what you expect, lol. Although being in the logistics business I get dozens of Christmas cards each year from different vendors with depictions of Santa driving an 18 wheeler, or a group of trucks pulling Santa’s sleigh.

Travel by train in this country is not nearly as common as it is in the UK, or even in Europe - but I can relate to Georgie’s feelings somewhat as I have spent literally thousands of hours sitting on a plane flight. It is not unusual for me to make upwards of 150 flights in a year on business trips, and to be honest, I find it very annoying to be stuck sitting next to someone who either won’t leave you alone - or spends the entire trip talking very loudly. In fact, the only things that are more annoying are the people who insist on listening to awful music without headphones, or watching some stupid movie without headphones. And let us not forget the people who ignore their children for the entire trip, allowing them to jump around, kick the back of the seat in front of them, scream, yell, and basically make total and complete pests of themselves.

The worst of these are the parents who refuse to sit with their children - they place their children in one row of seats, and then the parents sit in a different row, or across the aisle. My spouse and I always sat with our children while traveling, even if it meant we could not sit together.

I guess some people think it is every other passenger’s responsibility to watch their children while they relax!

I have never had to deal with young men making unwanted advances toward me, and although I can wish that had been an issue for me during my youth, I can also understand how it would not be appreciated. But as Dot told her, Georgie should get used to it being an attractive young woman. As long as it is innocent attention and doesn’t go beyond annoying she could consider it a complement, lol.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

In Papua-New Guinea

joannebarbarella's picture

Snow was as rare as rocking-horse shit and reindeer were hard to come by, so Santa would turn up in a Caterpillar Front-End Loader with the gifts for the kids in the bucket.