Dot and Sam 27

Printer-friendly version

Dot and Sam 27

Dorothy Philpot. Landlady of The Harbour Light pub
Sam Philpot. Drag-queen and lifelong companion of Dot’s.
Billy Parkins Doorkeeper.
Jessica Merlot The town’ and county archaeologist.
Josephine MacDonald The town and county archivist.
Richard Drummond Town planning inspector
Robert Vincent. Junior planning inspector.
Georgina. (Georgie) Homeless Transgender girl previously known as George.
Bobby Gay boy on the school bus.
Marty Girl on the school bus. (She becomes Georgie’s best friend and lover)
Jack. Marty’s twin brother (Keen runner).
Trevor Aitkins, Georgie’s Biological father.
Lucinda Aitkins Georgie’s biological mother
Terence Georgie’s step-dad
Peter Terence’s homophobic son.
Allison. Old school friend of Trevor (Retired Lawyer)
Fred Allison’s husband
Elizabeth Aitkins (Beth) Georgie’s younger sister. Later proves to be sympathetic to her ‘sister’
Jonathon Aitkins (Johnny) Georgie’s younger brother.
Rosie the Rivetter Terf Gang Leader on campus.

Chapter 27

As Georgie pulled into the pub yard she spotted her dad Trevor across the basin where he was brushing the snow off his car.

“Hi Dad! You coming over?”

He waved back and explained he’d be over for about ten or eleven because he had some paper-work to complete.

“Crickey Daddy, It’s Christmas Morning, don’t you ever stop?”

“Well if it comes to workaholics Darling, where’ve you just come from. I see the tyre tracks you left earlier this morning.”

“I was running Marty home in time for Santa’s present opening under their tree.”

Trevor grinned as he contemplated his daughter’s Christmas eve; ‘his daughter must have enjoyed two of Santa’s visits already.’

He watched briefly as Georgie picked her way into the pub, then he resumed brushing off his car before returning to his apartment and finishing his accounts. By ten-thirty, he was across the basin and offering to help with the Christmas dinner.

“Too late pops, the veg are done and the bird is cooking. You timed that well.”

Trevor glanced at the already laid dining table and shrugged somewhat apologetically.

“Sorry about the paperwork, you guys certainly move when you want to.”

“We’re professionals Trev.” Sam explained then asked. “Have you brought any presents for the tree?”

“Only some trinkets. You’re too old for dollies and I learned long ago that buying clothes for ladies is the road to ruin.”

All eyes lit up as Trevor produced the small packages and carefully placed them under the tree. By one o’clock, they were seated for lunch and Georgie wasted little time indulging her appetite worked up from early morning. The meal and afternoon went well so Georgie, Trevor and Sam decided to go for a short walk past the stylish new-builds that surrounded the old dock then along the old canal. Dot decided to take a nap in anticipation of the Christmas eve festivities. As darkness was falling Trevor’s phone rang and he paused by the pub porch as Sam and Georgie went in. When he followed them in his happy mood was subdued. Georgie was quick to spot it and raised her eyebrows curiously.

“That was Allison from home.”

“What did she want?” Georgie asked as they sat down to a light tea of cold cuts and salad.

“She and Fred are coming to stay at their cottage for New Year.”

“And?” Georgie pressed.

“Well. It’s a bit awkward, your mum Lucinda and boyfriend Terence have asked to come down.”

“Shit!. Have they nowhere better to go?”

“Hey!” Sam scolded her with a grin. “There aren’t many places better than the Harbour Light at New Year.”

“It’s not so much their coming for New Year, it’s finding out I live here. I just don’t want Terence in my life, or worse, Peter, that homophobic son of his”

“What about your mother?” Trevor pressed hopefully.

“Wherever she goes, he seems to tag along, that and his Neanderthal son.”

“Well, you’ll be safe with us. Billy the bouncer will be on the door. If they cause you trouble or make a scene, Dot can always bar them, this is a pub after all.”

“I hope so,” Georgie sighed. “I presume my step-sisters are going skiing with Johhny and Beth.”

“Yes, they’ll be gone a week and straight back to school or college on return.”

“It’s a pity the Neanderthal isn’t going as well.” Georgie observed.

“His dad needs him for some work immediately after New Year.” Trevor explained. “It gives him pocket money for technical college. He’s going into the building trade hopefully as a stone mason.”

“That makes sense. I doubt he can ski and chew gum at the same time.”

“Now, now girl. Don’t be cruel; stone masonry is a respectable trade, and it’s highly skilled. He’ll be seven years training if he goes the whole course. He may by big oaf, but he’s good with his hands, I’ve seen his work.”

“Yeah, so have I”, Georgie replied softly with a ring of irony.

Trevor glanced at his daughter and frowned but didn’t respond. He was relieved that Georgie was now free and clear of the family trap.

“Well, Peter won’t be coming for the New year so that’s one issue resolved. I’m sure that we can drag your makeup up for the new-year party so that Terry and Lucinda won’t recognise you.”

“What, you mean dress the waitresses up as drag queens?” Dot giggled at the suggestion.

“That sounds like a plan!” Sam laughed. There’s plenty of material back in the changing room. You’d best run it by the other girls though.”

“Will they be safe? You know how men get when they’re drunk.” Georgie wondered.

“As I said, Billy will have extra staff on the door, they’ve already been booked.” Dot assured her.

“Well drag queen is but a short step from Trans I suppose.” Georgie reflected as she picked up her wine glass and tipped the last of the bottle into it.

“But is it a step back or a step forwards?” Sam asked.

“Aah. Now what’s the question.” Georgie mused audibly. “I’d say it’s a step sideways.”

“Well said darling.” Trevor observed. “But I suppose you’re still bent on becoming an engineer or architect.”

“Drag could become a hobby though. It’s fun as well. I’ve seen the fun on weekends when Sam is in her pomp.”

Sam snorted softly then wagged her head as she fixed Georgie in her knowing gaze.

“Don’t you believe all you see girl. It’s hard work to entertain people and continuing to make a living,” Sam observed. “ People can be fickle and remaining popular can wear you down. Take it from me girl, it’s hard work even if I don’t have to travel because the Harbour Light has its own stage.”

“If it was a hobby, it would only be occasionally. Say once a month or something.”

“I suppose that might work,” Sam opined uncertainly.

They continued chatting in this vein until necessity compelled them to prepare for the Christmas night. Georgie’s thoughts turned to the waitressing and table work of the evening as the pub doors opened and people started to trickle in; mostly singletons or couples without children. By midnight, the evening was over and Georgie flopped onto her bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Christmas Night until New Year’s eve Georgie and Marty worked regular evening hours with the rest of the restaurant staff. When not busy they tended to gather by the kitchen sideboard and chat about the drag outfits they each intended to wear come New Year’s eve. On the day of the party the girls arrived in the early afternoon and started preparing their themed outfits based on the idea of chorus girls. Sam had surpassed herself in running up some glitter bodies and purchasing some matching tights.

“Where in the hell did you get the head bands!” The girls screeched ecstatically as Sam opened a cardboard box to reveal the plumed delights.

“Try them on girls and see what fits who the best.” Dot suggested as she discovered the sparkling heels then turned to Sam.

“Where in the heck did you get these?”

“I’ve still got friends in low places,” she chuckled, “these are for a competition.”

The cackling girls fell silent and turned with mouths agog as Sam explained and held open the box.

There’s pair of showgirl, six-inch, platform heels each to fit you and there is also a pair of flats to change to when feet get sore; as I can assure you they will.

“When the party starts, each girl wears heels until her dogs are barking. I can promise you that you will look gorgeous in them until,- you know what. The girl that lasts the longest unbroken time wearing her heels, win’s half the tip jar takings for the night. The sexier you make yourselves the more tips you make and the bigger the prize for the winner. One last thing; DO NOT go serving drinks outside on the cobbles. Long experience has taught me that cobbles and platform heels DO NOT MIX! I don’t want any broken ankles!

Now, let’s go into the dressing room and get you girls dragged up!”

For the next two hours Dot was left managing the afternoon bar while keeping licentious eyes away from the dressing room door. This proved hard because there was a constant stream of delighted squeals and shrieks interspersed with fleeting glimpses of skimpily dressed nubile young ladies slipping across the alleyway half-dressed to visit the loo. Dot made a mental note to one day have some alterations made to provide a private loo behind the stage. Such a change would also be convenient for the bar staff.

At eight o’clock, as advertised, the New Year festivities commenced with soft introduction of the Infernal Galop by Offenbach coming from the dressing room then to everybody’s delight, six young ladies erupted from the main restaurant into the bar as the sound-track exploded into the Can-Can.

Trevor was crossing the lock gates when he heard the first blaring bars of the Can–Can filter from The Harbour Light. His face split into a wide grin as he anticipated the fun starting in the bar and he picked up his step eager to join the fun. Then, as he stepped off the lock gate, he heard a familiar voice let go a high-pitched squeal and he turned to confirm his suspicion. As he recognised his ex-wife Lucinda and her new partner Terry approaching from under the corner street-light, his grin faded as quickly as it had formed. Cursing softly, he pushed through the pub door to be met by six can-can dancers shrieking and kicking in time to enthusiastic clapping from the audience. Trevor had to look long and hard before he eventually thought he might have recognised Georgie, but he had the wit not to show recognition because he knew how fearful his daughter was of recognition from her step-father.

Their wildly extravagant, ‘devil themed’ make-up designs had been a credit to Sam’s drag expertise and Trevor just stepped back to confirm his first impression. Georgie was completely unrecognisable under the heavy ‘slap’!

As Trevor stepped back from the high-kicking Can-can girls he heard the door open behind him and turned to confirm that Lucinda and Terry had indeed turned up while Allison and Fred their neighbours had followed them in. Lucinda and Terry gave him measured curious looks while Allison greeted him much more affably.

“Nice to see you down for the New Year, Trev, are you staying in your flat?”

“Yes.” He replied whilst hoping that Allison would not mention Georgie.

He gave her a pained look hoping his frown would warn Allison and he was hugely relieved when she gave a brief affirmative nod. Instead, Allison found a table set back amidst the prearranged rows and invited her husband Fred and friends Lucinda and Terry to claim the seats before the pub filled up. As Trevor spotted Allison’s intelligent strategy he gave her a wave and signalled that he was getting them some drinks from the bar. Dot saw the exchange and promptly prepared the drinks. She knew Alison and Fred’s tipples and she only had to confirm Terry and Lucinder’s

As Trevor gave her the order Dot asked in a whisper.

“Is Georgie still incognito?”

“That’s her plan. Is that her with the curly, little red horns?”

“Yes, she’s a good dancer isn’t she?”

“Yes, she and Marty joined the theatre group in college. They train regularly.”

“And is that chunky bloke with Lucy your ex, her step-father?”

“Yeah, he’s made my daughter’s life a nightmare.”

“Well neither he nor your ex seem to have recognised her.”

“Yeah, Sam’s done a brilliant job with the make-up.”

“Let’s keep it that way, I’ll tell the girls the score.” Dot affirmed.

“Thanks Dot. I Owe you.”

Having hopefully set the night up to keep Georgie and her detested step-father apart. Trevor settled on one of the several bar stools aligned along the corner end of the bar. Here regular patrons could look along the stage and view the audience. Almost immediately after the ‘chorus line’ had disappeared into the dressing room, Sam emerged to act as master of ceremonies whilst fully kitted out in an outrageous drag costume. Firstly she cracked a few lines then did a song before introducing the other drag artists. Then the waitresses re-emerged in their outrageous devil-style, Can-can dance costumes. As Georgie and her companions started to serve the tables, Sam went amongst them making the patrons welcome.

Finally she returned to the stage, and laid out a few house rules, including no groping the waitresses. Trevor caught Dot’s eye and nodded his relieved approval for the Can-can outfits were truly provocative.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Can Can Dancers!

Next you will have a show rivaling , Les Girls from the Sixties in Paris.
Such a brilliant idea to confuse the Dreaded Enemy. (The step dad)
I love this story

Polly J

Why do I get the feeling that……

D. Eden's picture

The asshat, Terry, will end up groping either Georgie or Marty?

That would certainly set off some fireworks!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

this is truly scary !

I can't see this ending well . . .

DogSig.png

Playing With Fire

joannebarbarella's picture

I too have a feeling that Billy The Bouncer and his boys will earn their pay tonight, but , with luck, Terry might commit an offence which the police will have to deal with. Lucinda may be the trigger because women are more astute in looking through make-up.

Not get that drunk customers

Need any encouragement, hopefully they will respect the servers. Next chapter will tell.