Sarah and Mia, Part II

Printer-friendly version

Please read Sarah and Mia first.

The rest of that day and well into the night, Thelma Parker thought about the young lady at the restaurant. The longer she thought about it the less doubt she had that it was Robbie. As short as the meeting was, she seemed like such a different person from the withdrawn young man Thelma remembered. And what she had said about, “helping me find out who I really am.” That said a mouthful. She really liked the idea of having a daughter.

Unfortunately, as long as she was married to Robert, a reconciliation would be impossible. However, that didn’t mean she had to just sit around. As often as she was able she came back to eat at that restaurant, Sheldon’s, hoping to see her daughter again, and maybe meet with her behind Robert’s back. She had no idea if that was a regular place Robbie went to eat, or if that had been a one-time meal there, but she kept on going.

She started to really consider her husband and his attitudes. It had shattered her to disown her son, but she felt, at the time, that she had to support Robert, even though it seemed wrong to her. If Robbie wanted to be a girl, well, she really had no problem with it. He had always been a gentle, shy boy. She started to see other intolerant attitudes, mixed in with Robert’s so-called Christian stance. If she brought these things up to him, he shot her down. He didn’t want to hear “Judge not, lest ye be judged,” or the other bible verses people conveniently ignore when they want to make their point. She began to feel rather controlled by him, and that the way she had stuck by him through all his unfortunate decisions had been a real mistake.

Just over a year later she was just starting to put out feelers for divorce lawyers when Robert had a brain aneurysm at work and died. Even with how she had started to feel about him now his death was still devastating, after twenty-five years together. She really wished Robbie could have been there to lean on and help her through this period. But of course she had no idea at all where he (or she) was.

After the dust settled Thelma was still working, although Robert’s life insurance payout had made things easy enough for her that she could have quit. However, she hadn’t a lot more going on in her life, and knew that just sitting home wouldn’t be good for her. She really started to feel lonely.

She also made it a point to learn something about men who dress as women, and discovered that there were many possibilities for what Robbie might be experiencing. She didn’t want to do or say anything that might make things worse, if she were ever to see him (or her) again.

She continued to lunch at Sheldon’s restaurant at least once a week with a friend or a co-worker, hoping against hope to see Robbie—or whatever her name was now—again.

-o0o-

Another year passed and she was about ready to throw in the towel. Maybe Robbie had even moved to a different city. Today she was at Sheldon’s with her friend, Louise, and almost accidentally saw the young woman passing by the front window with another young woman. She stared after her for a moment, and then jumped to her feet.

“Oh my goodness! I’m sorry, Louise, but I have to try and catch that young lady,” she said, “I’ll pay you back.” While Louise gaped, she grabbed her jacket and purse and ran out of the restaurant.

It took her a minute to locate the two young women once on the sidewalk, but she did, and started after them. She refused to call out “Robbie!” since he was obviously not Robbie anymore. She hurried toward them, and when she got close enough she called out, “Excuse me!” The second time she called out they stopped and turned.

She caught up with them and stood there puffing for a minute as they looked at her.

“I’m very sorry, dear,” she panted, looking at Mia, “but what is your name?”

“I’m Mia. How can I help you?” she said.

“I’m…” was all she got out before she began to cry. Three years’ worth of pent up tears and emotion overwhelmed her. The two young ladies led her to a sidewalk bench and sat her down, one on either side of her. Eventually her sobs eased off, and she wiped her eyes and nose with a handkerchief.

“I’m so sorry,” she said, when she could finally speak. “I’ve been waiting to see you again for two years, ever since that day in the restaurant. Mia, I don’t know if you can forgive me, but I am so sorry for not standing up to your father when I felt he was doing you wrong.”

Mia and Sarah looked at each other, their eyes wide. Mia’s eyes were already brimming with tears.

“I think I can forgive you… Mom.”

Sarah looked on as the two hugged and were both now crying.

Mia pulled back and asked, “Won’t dad give you a hard time if he finds out you talked to me?”

“Oh Mia, he’s dead. He died a year ago of an aneurysm.”

“Oh my…” She was pretty shocked; he wasn’t that old. Sarah reached across Thelma and took her hand.

“I’m sorry; I had no idea. We don’t look at the obituaries.”

Though Mia held little love for him, this still left her feeling very shaken up. There would never be a reconciliation.

“The truth is, I was getting ready to divorce him. He only ascribed to Christian principles when it suited his needs.”

“Are you doing okay?”

“Yes, I am. There was a nice payout from your father’s life insurance, but I still work. I’ve been coming to Sheldon’s ever since I saw you there, hoping to see you again and beg your forgiveness.”

Mia hugged her again.

“You’re so pretty, dear.”

“Thanks, Mom,” she smiled.

Turning to Sarah, she introduced them. “I’d like you to meet my… significant other, Sarah.” She wasn’t quite sure what word to use to describe their relationship, which was far deeper than just girlfriends.

“Mrs. Parker,” said Sarah, offering her hand.

“Please call me Thelma, dear.”

Looking at the time, Mia said, “I’m very sorry, mom, but I have to get back to work. If you have the same phone number I’ll call you this evening.”

“I’d like that, Mia, although I really don’t want to let you go, now that I’ve found you.”

Thelma kissed her daughter tenderly on the cheek and watched the two young ladies walk away. Her heart felt so much lighter. She sat there and cleaned up her face, then pulled out her phone and called Louise to tell her she was going to take the rest of the day off, and sorry about running off. She then called her office and told them she wasn’t coming back today. She was just too emotional to concentrate on business.

-o0o-

“Well that was unexpected!” said Sarah, as they walked.

Looking at her, Mia thought of how wonderful Sarah had been to her. She was her rock. She said, “Sarah, I really love you.”

Smiling back at her, Sarah replied, “And I you, Mia. Are you okay?”

“I think I am. The whole thing was a shock, but a mostly pleasant one. I can’t say I’ll miss my dad; he wasn’t normally a horrible person. But… well, I won’t go there.”

“I’ll see you after work, honey,” said Sarah, as they parted ways.

-o0o-

Mia, who was now an administrative assistant, pondered the meeting the rest of the work day. What would this mean for her? Her mom really seemed sincere in her apology and appeared to want to have a relationship with her. She didn’t remember being especially close to her mother growing up. Maybe the dynamic between a daughter and her mother would be different, better.

Mia hadn’t taken any surgical or hormonal steps towards transition. She did tend to wear scarves and turtlenecks in appropriate weather, and sometimes chokers, in order to minimize her small Adams Apple. She was very comfortable as Mia, but didn’t mind showing up as Robbie every so often at church. However, for the last year she had been feeling she was not very convincing as a boy anymore, and was considering ending that part of her life. She and Sarah seldom stopped by for youth activities these days.

She was still taking college classes, and Sarah had suggested they both attend self-defense classes, just so they would be prepared.

-o0o-

That evening Mia and her mother talked on the phone for two hours about their lives in the last few years. Her mother had many questions about her presentation as Mia, but was careful to show she supported her daughter however she wanted to appear. She refrained from asking, “Did I cause this to happen?” and came to understand that Mia was just more comfortable presenting as a woman.

“I never had any intention of living as a woman,” Mia said. “I just liked to put on a dress once in a while. But it turned out that after I could do it without worrying about being discovered by you or dad, I felt so much more comfortable and found I could relax. I liked who I was as Mia. Sarah’s mother had me visit a gender therapist, who told me I was transgender. And then I got a job as a woman, so now I’m Mia, and loving it.”

Thelma had a few more things to look up online!

“I’m happy for you, honey,” she said. “I really have missed you, and you looked so nice.”

Mia came away with the impression that her mother had always loved her, but was too scared of her husband to stand up to him when Robbie was kicked out. If she looked back, she realized it was always her father who took all the actions. Her mother just stood by and said almost nothing, which had seemed like tacit agreement to Robbie. She had never even considered her mother might be scared of him.

Thelma was overjoyed to even have a phone conversation with her daughter. She felt terrible about how Mia had had to find a place to live on her own until she moved in with Sarah, but she was so happy that it sounded like a close and happy relationship they shared.

Before they ended the call she invited both of them to dinner on Saturday.

-o0o-

That night as Sarah and Mia lay in bed, Mia told her what had been said in the phone call. Then they lay silent.

“Hold me please, Sarah.”

“My pleasure,” she replied, as she put her arms around her lover.

“I wish I knew how this was going to affect my life,” Mia finally said.

“You’re going to be happier, with one less thing hanging over your head. It sounds like your mom wants to have a real mother-daughter relationship with you. She sure impressed me as being sincere.”

“You’re right. I’m not really worrying about it, but it’s just something I never expected to happen. And I guess I misjudged my mother. I’m sorry about that.”

“Your mother was going through her own anguish about it, even as it was happening. I’m glad she finally felt strong enough to do something about it.”

“Yeah, me too.”

They both drifted off to sleep, still embracing.

-o0o-

Thelma was nervous. Although she felt good about her reconnection with Mia, she was afraid of doing something to ruin it, however unintentionally. It was Saturday and she’d been cooking what she remembered as Robbie’s favorite dishes.

When the two guests arrived, they were each greeted with a hug and kiss. Mia asked if her mother needed any help in the kitchen. ‘Just like a daughter,’ thought Thelma happily. She asked Mia to get out some serving utensils, and then both of them brought the food to the table.

“Wow, Mom! I haven’t had baked ziti in years! It smells wonderful. Sarah, you’ll love it!”

“Thank you, Mia. I remembered you liked it,” said Thelma.

She looked at the two of them.

“Girls, I want to thank you both for coming, and I also want to tell you that I’m very nervous I’ll say the wrong thing. If I do please forgive me; it would just be my ignorance, although I have studied up a little on transgenderism. I just couldn’t bear to lose you again, Mia.”

“It’s okay, Mom. I’m sure everything will be fine,” said Mia, trying to comfort her.

And everything was fine. They all enjoyed the meal and learned more about each other.

“You know, Mom, I never knew that Dad was so intolerant. He was really a One Strike and You’re Out kind of guy, wasn’t he. I couldn’t believe he wouldn’t even talk to me after that one day.”

“That caught me by surprise too, Mia. I thought he was more accepting of others than that, but I must have missed the signs that he had that kind of personality. But I also didn’t pay enough attention to the signs saying you had a softer, more girlish side. You were never a wild, boy’s boy. You were playmates with that little girl next door—I can’t think of her name—but you two would have tea parties, and you didn’t mind playing dolls with her. Back then I just never thought anything about it. In fact, I mentioned how cute it was to Robert and he got upset. Before he could ban you from playing with her, the family moved. But now that I think of it I can tell you that no boys I knew when I was growing up would have come near a girl and her dolls.”

“Wow! I had forgotten all about her. Sheila, that was her name. I liked her, and there were no other boys around here. I think she got me into a dress more than once. Then her family moved away and I really missed playing with her.”

“See Mia?” said Sarah. “This was always a part of you.”

“I guess it was,” she smiled.

-o0o-

There were hugs all around when the two young women left, and both mother and daughter felt good about their relationship. Thelma really wanted to see Mia regularly, but didn’t want to intrude on her relationship with Sarah or any other part of her life. She just wanted to be a part of her life in some way.

In the coming months she had several conversations with older friends, which went something like this:

“I just had lunch with my daughter.”

“Daughter? I thought you had a son.”

“No, just my daughter, Mia.”

“But I remember meeting your son when he was ten years old.”

“No. I only have the one daughter.”

Those who started to argue were dropped as friends, as were those who understood this was apparently a matter of a sex change, and who then started judging and condemning. These were almost always the more conservative people. Thelma wouldn’t yell at them or curse them; she’d simply end the conversation politely and fail to call the person back if they rang again. Fortunately there were not that many of those types.

She admired Mia for living the way she wanted to, and for getting her life together. In her research she had come across stories where things went very badly after being kicked out of the family, some even to the point of suicide, and she was so grateful things had worked out for her precious daughter. She found Mia to be a kind and gracious person. She had loved Robbie, but Mia was so much happier that it was a pleasure to be around her.

-o0o-

The next time Sarah and Mia were at Sarah’s parents’ house they told Marie all about how Mia and her mother had reconnected. Marie had become a mother figure for Mia and was very fond of her.

“That’s wonderful, dear. It sounds like there was a lot of miscommunication between you two, as well as fear on her part. I’m happy for you.”

“Thank you, Marie, but you’ll always be my second mother.”

“That’s very sweet, Mia,” she said, giving her a hug. “Maybe for our next dinner here you can ask your mother to join us.”

“I’d like that. Thank you!”

-o0o-

Early on Thelma had set aside some of Robert’s life insurance payout for Mia, but she didn’t know when to give it to her. She knew Mia and Sarah weren’t struggling, but the money could help if she wanted to actually go to college full-time, or buy a house, or whatever she wanted. Eventually she decided to just give Mia the money now, while she could be around to see her enjoy it.

At their next meeting she handed Mia an envelope.

“What’s this?” she asked, before opening it.

“It’s part of your father’s life insurance. I’ve been holding it for you ever since I got it.”

Mia opened it to find a check with a number and five zeroes behind it. She was stunned.

“I can’t believe this! Oh wow, what would dad say if he knew I was benefitting from his death?”

“Better not to think of it, dear,” said Thelma, who herself had visions of Robert turning in his grave.

“Thank you, Mom,” said Mia, hugging her.

-o0o-

Mia and Sarah were discussing the money once they got home.

“Any idea what you’d like to do with that money, Mia?”

“None at all.”

“Mia, do you see yourself living the rest of your life as a woman?”

“Well… yeah. I can’t imagine trying to go back to being a boy, or man now.”

“Then why don’t you consider spending some of that on surgery?”

“But Sarah! You know I’m not really interested in SRS!”

“I didn’t mean that kind, honey. I meant maybe get implants, maybe some facial surgery. I mean, you pass so well already, but why not get some enhancements. I know you don’t get a lot of joy gluing those prosthetics on, and I’m certain you would enjoy being able to feel me kissing you there.”

Mia thought about that.

“But I was thinking the money would be for both of us.”

“Mia, that money is for you. I love that you want to share it with me, but my parents are well off, and would give me most anything I needed. That’s for you to spend on yourself. If you don’t want surgery, you could, I don’t know, go to college full-time, or buy a car. Anything.”

“I’ll have to put some thought into this.”

-o0o-

The idea of some of the facial surgery and implants did strongly appeal to Mia. She decided it would mean absolutely spending the rest of her days as a woman. She knew she had felt more like who she was as Mia, and there was really no reason to look back. So she decided to go for the implants, Adams Apple shaving and a few subtle things on her face.

After all the surgeries and healing periods were completed she was very happy with the way she looked, and there was still money left. She used some of it to buy Sarah an engagement ring.

And when the Chandlers had them all over for dinner, including Thelma, Mia knelt next to Sarah after dinner, looked up at her and presented the ring.

“Sarah Chandler, will you marry me?

The parents were and were not surprised, but they seemed happy enough.

“Of course I will, sweetheart,” replied Sarah.

-o0o-

With most of the balance of the life insurance money, some help from the Chandlers, and their own money they bought a small Craftsman-style house in a leafy suburb. As they were moving in, one of the neighbor ladies came over to say hello and welcome. They stopped and chatted with her for a few minutes. However, after she saw Sarah and Mia kiss, she asked if they were lesbians.

“Why do you ask?” Mia said.

“I’m sorry if that was inappropriate. I don’t think I’ve ever met a lesbian before.”

“Well, you probably have, but we don’t usually wear signs. If it bothers you then just think of me as a guy,” said Mia, who giggled silently to herself and went on with the unloading. Sarah was having trouble keeping a straight face. The neighbor didn’t really know what to think about that comment, but she thought they both seemed like nice women. She had been under the impression that lesbian couples always had at least one who looked butch, but both of these ladies seemed very feminine. Oh well. It would be nice to have someone living in that house again!

The End.

See? This is why I try not to write sequels! “What happened to the momentum?” I hear you say. Obviously the answer is, “It got lost.” Anyhow, I just wrote it because I was curious to find out what was going to happen with Mia and her mother.

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sequels

Emma Anne Tate's picture

But it was a sweet coda to your story. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Emma

The Cloak of Rightous

BarbieLee's picture

Brain stroke huh? Couldn't have happened to a more deserving person. And his gift to his long suffering wife Thelma and his daughter of financial support through his death is Karma indeedie. Justice is served.
Nice flow to the story line although the end was a little terse. Felt as I fell out of the fairy tale. You wanted to tie a ribbon on it and took the express train to the end.
Well done and when you were in the story yourself it had a great feel as if we were there with your actresses.
Hugs Noname
Barb
Real civilian friends are like your military friends. No matter what is incoming, still friends.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Thank you, Emma and Barb,

As usual, I think you both give me too much credit. I did like how this started out, but after the mission was accomplished is where I always run into trouble!

That's the Thing About Sequels...

Once you've told your readers about the most important event in your protagonist's life, it's generally all downhill from there.

Eric

Mia's mom

Dee Sylvan's picture

Thelma is more typical than you may think. It is very hard for a woman to get out of an abusive relationship. They give up a lot in a marriage and with children, they feel their choices for escaping the dreadful situation are slim and none.

It was a tearful reunion for Mia and her mom. And a tearful time reading the reunion. If you didn't want to continue that would have been a good place to end your story. I'm glad that you did give us part II to tell us about Mia's reconciliation. Very good story NN1, thank you for posting. :DD

DeeDee

Reconciliation

joannebarbarella's picture

Thanks for granting our wish for Mia and her Mom to get together again. It was an epiphany for Thelma and an escape from the cloying bigotry of the father, who had destroyed the relationship between mother and child.

.When will these so-called "Christians" actually adhere to the basic tenets of the faith. "The greatest of these is love".

You're welcome, Joannebarbarella

They'll probably get with the program when karma puts them in the same position as those they discriminate against.

Thanks for your comment!
NN1

Don't know how I missed this

KateElizabethSuhr13's picture

I saw an update to the first story when i checked thinking another reply to one of my comments and to my pleasant surprise i found this gem of a sequel. So nice to get a happy ending and closure. Love that Mia gets a better relationship with her mom, gets surgeries to help with her transition, marries the woman she loves and her dad did the only right thing he could do which was to drop dead lol.