How a Resolution Saved a Life

Printer-friendly version

Late December

There’s a problem with my teenaged son, Edward. I’m not sure how to say this, so I’ll just say it: He… well, he minces around like a fairy—sometimes you’d swear you were seeing a girl—even though I’ve spoken to him time and again about it. God knows I’ve tried over the years to bring out his manliness, but he just doesn’t seem to have any. He’s short for his age, and I’ve carried groceries that weigh more than he does. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve talked to him about getting a haircut, and I don’t know why, but that’s something I can’t bring myself to force him to do. Maybe it’s because he looks so much like my late wife. And if I’m honest with myself, when I was his age I had long hair too.

I’ve taken him to ballgames, and we’ve fished together…we tried bowling but that was a disaster. The ball was just too heavy for him. Look, I can tell he’s making an effort, but I can also tell his heart isn’t in it. For a while I tried harder, making him exercise, join sports teams at school—whatever I could think of, and it just didn’t work. At the least I want him to build a little muscle so he can defend himself WHEN—not if—he gets picked on. I really don’t know what to do about him.

And then a few days ago he actually told me he was a girl! Can you believe it? I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, given the rest of his behavior, but I really got angry at that point, and let him know in no uncertain terms that he was definitely not a girl. Girls do not have peckers in their pants! And what did he do? He cried!

He told me he didn’t like it, and would be happy if it was removed. I was having trouble believing my ears when he said that. What kind of boy wants his pecker gone? It was just beyond my understanding. I sent him to his room and sat down at the kitchen table, my head spinning. There mere thought almost made me ill.

Listen, I’ve tried hard to do the best I can as a single dad. It’s been very difficult since my wife, Marcia, got sick and died, five years ago. He was only ten then, but I knew the two of them were very close. I thought it wouldn’t be all that difficult to raise a boy, but he’s not like any other boy I have ever known. When Marcia died he just collapsed into a quivering mess and cried for weeks, and no amount of yelling at him that boys don’t cry would snap him out of it.

Today, for whatever reason, he seemed very depressed. I asked him what the problem was and he wouldn’t tell me. And then this evening we ended up in yet another argument about him manning up. I ran out of patience and I’m sorry to say I belted him one. Not too hard, since I know it would just be too easy to accidentally break him in half, and really, I don’t want to hurt him. No, I hit him just enough to make a point. Then I left for Harvey’s Bar to cool off and drown my sorrows and disappointment. I’m not a big drinker, but I like a beer now and then, just like every other guy.

When I arrived at the bar I sat in the car for a minute, trying to, I don’t know, center myself. You know, took a few deep breaths. Then, walking into the dark, slightly beery atmosphere, I noticed my old buddy, Rick, was there, alone in a booth. We don’t live that far apart, but it had been a couple of years since we’d last run into each other.

“Hey Rick! Long time no see! Mind if I sit with you?”

He looked up at me bleary-eyed, and it really looked like he’d been crying. Rick crying? How drunk was he? Anyhow, he didn’t object, so I went over to the bar and got a beer and then sat down across from him.

“What’s the problem, buddy? You look terrible.”

He looked at me for a long time before answering, in a dead, unemotional voice.

“My kid killed himself.”

I was stunned. Rick’s son, Matthew, was around Eddie’s age—in fact I think the two of them are friends—and seemed like a happy enough kid, though I admit it’s been a few years since I’d seen him.

Oh! Maybe that’s why Eddie was depressed today. Well… why couldn’t he have told me that?!

“What happened?”

He swished his beer around a bit before answering. “You’re not going to believe this, Mike, but he thought he was a girl.”

That totally startled me. Oh man! What were the odds that both of us had a son with this weird problem?

Continuing, he said, “I did everything I could to persuade him that wasn’t true, but he kept on insisting. He had a girl’s name picked out for himself, and he’d even collected girls’ clothes! I told him that was unacceptable and threw them away. Finally, a couple days ago we had another argument and I, I tried to beat it out of him.”

There was a silence before he went on.

“Yesterday I went looking for him, and he wouldn’t answer. I thought he was being stubborn, but I… found him hanging by a rope from an attic rafter.” Rick paused and choked out a sob. “He…she left a suicide note saying that me not allowing her to express her true self was slowly killing her, and that she’d rather just die than continue to try and live a lie this way.”

Looking at Rick’s almost-full mug, I realized Rick wasn’t actually drunk at all; he was in real pain.

“I loved my kid, Mike, and I can’t say I understand it, but if I had it to do over again I’d let him be the girl that he thought he was,” he said, almost completely breaking down. “Now it doesn’t seem like it would be such a big deal. But I no longer have that option. I let my pigheadedness rise above my acceptance of my own child, and I’ll have to live with that the rest of my life.”

We sat there in silence, as I examined my own feelings. I felt terrible for Rick. What would I do if Eddie killed himself? I would be truly devastated. He was all I had left, and all I had left of Marcia, too. Was I more concerned about how others would see him, or was I more interested in how I thought of him? Less than a man. A fairy. What if he liked men? Would me condemning that sort of thing be worth his life?

Now that I thought it through, I always knew he didn’t like to do all those manly things I made him do. He was trying to do them because of his love for me. And how did I repay that love? By trying to force him into my idea of what a man should be. Self-disgust suddenly overwhelmed me.

Then a feeling rose up in me that I would try and be a better man—a better father than that. I didn’t want to lose my son… or my daughter, if that’s who she really was. So right then and there I made a New Year’s resolution to accept my child, whoever he or she was.

Once that resolution was made I found that I actually felt much better. I turned my attention back to Rick and tried to give what solace I could, but I could see he was really suffering, and I’m not sure I was reaching him. Guilt is such a heavy load. I really didn’t think he needed to hear about my own problems right now. And I don’t think he was there to drink as much as to have a place to be alone with his sorrows. I got up and laid a hand on his shoulder.

“I’m truly sorry about Matthew, Rick, and I wish I knew what to say. I feel like I need to go check on Eddie now.”

He nodded to me and went back to sipping his beer.

I don’t know why, but I felt a real urgency to get home to show my daughter that I would be there for her. If Eddie needed to be a girl, I would let him or her know I would help however I could.

During the drive I tried to think of ways I could show my support, and it was difficult to do. I had no sisters, and I had no experience raising a girl. “Marcia!! I really need you now!” I said out loud. She would have known what to do to help Eddie. “Why’d you have to die?” I was tearing up. Me, the big manly man!

As I pulled into the drive I was surprised no lights were on. Eddie hadn’t said anything about going out. Maybe he was in the den watching TV. I could never get him to turn on the light while he was doing that.

Entering the house I turned on a couple lights. It was almost uncannily silent inside. I started to look for him. Nope, not in the den. He must be upstairs in his bedroom. Climbing the stairs I saw his door was closed. I knocked gently. No answer. I hoped he wasn’t still mad at me.

“Eddie?”

No answer.

I was starting to get a bad feeling about this. I opened the door, but it was too dark to see anything. Flipping on the light I saw a good-looking girl in a blue dress lying on his bed, very pale and still as a statue. Stepping closer to the bed, I started to speak. “Who are…” and the words died on my lips as I realized the girl was Eddie. My eyes flashed to the nightstand, where there was a glass and an empty prescription bottle of pills.

“NO!!!” I yelled.

I pulled out my phone and dialed 911 as I felt for a pulse.

“911, what is your emergency?”

“My, um, daughter seems like a possible suicide,” I spit out rapidly. “She took a bunch of pills and is very pale. There’s only a faint pulse. I need help RIGHT NOW!”

“I show your location as 837 Oak boulevard, sir. An ambulance is on the way. Please put the victim on her side. Do you know what the pills were?”

I snatched the pill bottle from the nightstand.

“It says amitriptyline.” Where the hell could he have gotten that? The part of the label that says who it had been prescribed for had been torn off.

“Should I try and make her vomit?”

“No sir, that could cause problems with her airway. Just wait for the ambulance.”

There was still hope, but I was frantic, not knowing what I could do to help, other than making sure he—dammit—she was breathing, and rolling her onto her side. Once I did that I ran downstairs, trying not to trip and break my neck. I flung open the front door and then ran back upstairs. What was taking the ambulance so long??

There was a folded note next to her on the bed, addressed to “Mr. Miller.” That almost hit me harder than finding her—that my own kid didn’t feel she could call me Dad anymore. God, it was like being punched in the stomach. I sat on the bed with him—her, and read the note.

“Mr. Miller,
I can no longer live with your rules about my gender. I’m not sure what sort of person would put their own happiness above that of their child’s, but I don’t think a loving father would.

I’m sorry I can’t live up to your expectations of what you think a son should be, but that’s because I’m not a son, never have been, but a daughter. My name is Eva, and my last request is that you put that name on my gravestone. I would hate to go through eternity with the wrong name.

Now that my girl friend, Madeline, is dead, I have no one to support me at all, and I just don’t think I can make it on my own. So I am taking this way out.

I’m looking forward to seeing Mom again. She knew and loved the real me.

Eva Miller”

Tears came to my eyes as I was reading this. I had no idea things were this bad. And who was this girlfriend, Madeline? Eddie never brought any girls home.

Wait! She was dead. Could this possibly be Rick’s son/daughter, Matthew?

God, I had so much to make up for!

At last I could hear the siren, and it was close.

In no time the EMTs had made it inside. I called to them, “Upstairs! Hurry!!” And they rushed up and got right to work on… Eva, my daughter.

They shooed me out of the way, and stabilized her.

I rode in the ambulance with her, and it was nightmarish and clinical at the same time. It was bright inside, there were all kinds of medical machinery, and she just lay there, with one of the EMTs monitoring her.

Things happened in a hurry at the hospital. They took her away and a nurse pulled me over to a desk, where I had to give all the medical information and insurance info. I wanted to be there at Eva’s side!

And when she finally woke up, I was there by her bedside, holding her hand. When her eyes opened she looked straight ahead, blankly, then a look of extreme disappointment and pain replaced the blank expression. She must have realized she was still among the living.

“Eva, honey, you frightened me to death. I couldn’t take it if I had lost you. Please, never try that again.”

Her eyes slowly moved over to me, and it finally registered that I had used her name. A slow smile spread over her face. Tears started down her cheeks as she said, “Oh Daddy!”

The End.

up
98 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

We Would Hate To Waste It

joannebarbarella's picture

Dear Noname1. Please can you add some padding to bring it within the contest parameters? It has all the right ingredients and is told very sensitively. The only problem is its length. See what you can do,

Joanne

“Oh Daddy!”

its a pity it took almost losing her after hearing about his friend's daughter's suicide to move him, but at least he has the ability to make it up to her.

Spoil that girl rotten, at least for a little bit!

wonderful story, have a huggle!

DogSig.png

Please Add About At Least Six Hundred Words

I would love to see this qualify for the contest.

Jo's suggestion to "add padding" seems to be in the spirit of a community that finds many of us doing that every day.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Panda Eyes

Lucy Perkins's picture

Oh my, what a powerful story.
I fully confess to be sitting here with tears running down my face, giving me Class 1 Panda Eyes.
That was beautifully told, through the eyes of an unsympathetic father. For me, you got his "voice" perfectly.
I do hope that Eva and her Dad find a way of working things out together.
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Totally Teared Up

Marissa Lynn's picture

I hope the muse visits you again to flesh the story out to contest length, because what you have here is very gripping and emotional.

Strong Story Line

BarbieLee's picture

Read this story twice thinking you put a lot of emotions in the story. It's solid, well written, and describes a lot of what is wrong and right with society in today's age. There is not an emotional input from you as you didn't join your characters in this story. You have wrote some great stories and left me wanting more to the story line. BUT you finished it where it was your story and that was what was so great about them. Even if not writing from first person you were still one of the actors in the story.
I love your writing as each story is uniquely you and your own style.
Hugs Noname, well done sugar
Barb
When I finally knew everything, I realized I know nothing.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Thank you all, Jill, Lucy, Marisa and Barbie

I will be trying to "flesh it out" or "pad it up" or whatever I can do to bring it up to story length. I had been so busy trying not to go OVER the 5000-word limit that I completely forgot about the other end!

Yeah, about the tears. Every time I reread it to fix this little thing or that, it made me cry again! When I started writing I had no idea I could write anything that would accomplish that. On the other hand, I'm older now than I have ever been, and maybe a bit more susceptible...

Thanks all, once again.

NN1

The Update

Marissa Lynn's picture

I teared up reading it again.

The emotions in it that hit you as you were writing it still come through clearly in the characters and the outcome.

What if he stopped at the hospital gift shop

laika's picture

and bought her his idea of a daughter present. like a teddy bear?
Him doing that ("Well, she's out of the woods. Though I don't think
she'll be waking up for a while; if you wanted to grab some coffee or something),
his awkward conversation with the lady there about what to get for his,
uh, daughter ("What does she like?" "I really don't know...")
and Eva hugging it at the end could add at least 200 words.
It's an idea anyway;

Although from the damn near perfect way you handled this story, this narrator's voice
you probably have better. You made me empathize with a man I would ordinarily
regard as a monster. Which he's not; all his toxicity + even his violence were
just what he'd learned, but when it came down to it he was capable of
actually growing some; after realizing what's really most important
to him, even before the tragedy he and Eva so narrowly avoided.

Jesus, what a beautiful tear-jerker. I haven't cried like that since Spock died!
This story ends in a perfect place, but I wouldn't mind dropping in on this family
in about six months time, in a sequel tale. I'm sure he still has a lot of learning
to do about raising a trans daughter.
~hugs, Veronica

Spock Died????

Say it ain't so.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Jill, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected

Jill, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age.
No Spock! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Jill, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

With apologies to Francis Pharcellus Church.

So Glad

joannebarbarella's picture

That this lovely story is now a legitimate entry to our New Year's Contest.

Thank you Noname1.

41 Percent………

D. Eden's picture

That’s the number that we need to remember. That is the percentage of transgender people who attempt suicide.

According to a study by UCLA, those who identify as transgender are seven times more likely to contemplate suicide than the rest of the population, and four times more likely to attempt it than the entire population. And who knows how many more there are that we will never know about? The ones who hide and suffer all alone and in silence, suffer until they cannot anymore.

Would that we all were lucky enough to have a parent who cares enough to make a resolution like this.

I will readily admit that I am part of those statistics. As I am sure many others here are as well. I cannot count the number of times I have thought about it - nor do I wish to. Luckily for me, I am beyond that now - at least I hope I am; I’m not sure it ever completely goes away, but the pressure is considerably lessened for me. I no longer worry about having fire arms in the house, or what type of medications might be in the cabinet. Or about the tank of helium in the closet. Or whether turning off the airbags in my car will be enough……..

But does the pain ever truly go away? Will there always be that little tickle of thought in the back of my consciousness? The painful reminders every time I look in the mirror? The heartbreak every time I think about the childhood I never had, or the teen years I missed out on?

Even now, after fully transitioning, and with the love of family and friends, I still lie awake at night and think about how my life could have been - should have been. And I wonder if it is all worth the effort. I cannot help but long for the release of nothingness and the lack of suffering that would come with oblivion. Who will miss this broken sailor when I am gone? And will they be better without me?

But alas, I cannot go. There are yet too many who need me, too many commitments left uncompleted, too many thoughts unrealized, and too much to do before I turn out the lights.

“The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. Miles to go before I sleep.”

Thank you to Robert Frost for expressing my thoughts so much better than I.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Padding?

Dee Sylvan's picture

I'm not sure what you added as I am a little late to the party, but this is a gem.

There is a cost to what we trans people reveal to the world. The ultimate cost was paid by Madeline. But what of the cost of going through your whole life in hiding, not wanting to be shunned or abused, or laughed at, etc?

Eva's life seemed bleak for Madeline as she was abused and ridiculed by the person who should have been the most supportive. She must have felt devastated when Marcia died. What was left? No friends left but living with an abusive father. So sad.

Thanks for sharing this with us NN1! :DD TAF

DeeDee