Landlord

Printer-friendly version

Landlord

“I want a sister,” Becky used to say.
“What if it would be brother?” I tried.
“Boys are stupid! Oops! I'm sorry. I don't mean. That's I don't mean you. I'd like you to be my sis.”

 

 

Note to readers. Don't read if you don't like poor grammar, this may be rough.
This is a work of adult fiction. No resemblance to reality should be inferred or expected.
My thanks to Monica Rose for proofreading and help.
Copyright... are you kidding?

 

 

Landlord… Sounds majestic, doesn't it? That was the only good thing about being the landlord. It sounded special. Especially when I was sixteen. I was an emancipated young adult and being the landlord was the main source of income.

Mom had arranged it. When she was still alive. She knew the end was coming. Faster than she and I wanted and expected.

I was taking care of the house now. I knew everything about it. How things operated and how to keep them operating. Because I was the only man at home for more than ten years. When I was five, dad was killed in a car accident. Since then, it had been just mom and I. Until she was diagnosed with cancer a year ago.

Mom lost the battle with the malady. But she did everything to save me from child service. Because we had no relatives who could take care of me.

 

 

My name's Boris. Seventeen-year-old well-built young man. This summer was my last summer break as a high school student. Next year, I'll be a senior and then… Who knows what happen after that? The coach wanted me on the football team. Or wrestling. Or… I wasn't interested. I wasn't interested in being the man I was. But who cared?

I had inherited the house and it had to be the source of my income. The only source. The house was built by my great-great-grandfather. It was later modernized by his son, then by his grandson, my grandfather. My dad didn't add anything because he'd died young. I did try to keep it presentable.

For my living, I had rearranged the shed in the backyard with a bathroom and kitchenette. It was enough for me. The only problem was that it was cold. Not only the winters in Rhode Island are cold. I'll insulate it this summer. Or I'll spend a fortune on heating gas again.

 

 

The house was tenanted by the Walker family. Emily and Joe both worked in Providence. They worked kinda in the hospital but I wasn't sure. They didn't say and I didn't ask. And young Becky. She said she was seven.

Becky was at home keeping me company. Or vice versa. I was at home most of the time doing this and that. Like insulating the shed.

I had some cardboard and veneer leftovers and made a castle in the backyard. Next to my shed. Becky moved some of her toys to the castle. It was big enough for her to arrange a tea party with her dolls. And me.

“I want a sister,” Becky used to say when there was an occasion. Or without occasion.

Her parents Emily and Joe were young. They could have more kids. Have they planned? I didn't know. And sure I didn't ask. Anyway, another kid could be a boy or a girl.

“What if it is a brother?” I tried.

“NO!” Becky snapped out. “Boys are stupid!”

Then her hands shot to her mouth, “Oops! I'm sorry,” she said. “I don't mean. That's I don't mean you. I'd like you to be my sis.”

It made me chuckle and sigh at the same time.

 

 

The summer was coming to an end. I had finished the shed. And I had some money left. I had more money than I planned to have because I'd spent less.

I asked Emily if I could buy something for Becky. Maybe a doll or something.

Becky heard us talking though.

“I don't want a doll. I want a sister!” she announced.

Emily sighed. I understood it wasn't a theme she wanted to talk about.

“Take her to the mall,” she said, “but don't spend too much.”

The mall was next to the hardware store. In a hardware store, I was like at home. In the mall… There I understood I got myself into trouble.

We were strolling aisles up and down. I waited for Becky to offer something or to ask for something. She didn't want a doll. So no toy store. Even more, there was only one toy store here. To buy her clothes? Toiletries? Jewelry? I wouldn't do it without her mom.

Then we moved to the end of the side aisle next to the exit to the underground garage. There was an antique store. We spent there almost an hour. It was like a museum.

Next to the antique store was another unsightly store with a sign “Huggles International” over the door. We entered and it was filled with stuffed animals. And I mean filled.

“Oh,” I managed to say.

“Oh,” Becky echoed me. She was fascinated. The same as me.

The saleslady approached. Her nametag said, Monica. She didn't say a word just looked at us questioningly.

“Becky here wants a sister,” I said. “So we are looking for some feminine animal. But not a doll.”

Then I added quietly to myself with a sigh, “I would be happy to fill this position but…” Constant being with Becky made my urges to be more feminine hard to struggle with.

“Fox,” said the saleslady interrupting my musing, “definitely.”

“Huh?” I was caught off guard and wasn't ready to respond.

“I say fox could be the perfect animal you are looking for,” Monica, the saleslady, explained giving a huge fox to Becky.

Becky was shocked. The animal was almost as big as Becky herself.

“Sit here on the sofa and try how it is to hug her,” Monica guided Becky to the settee. Then she turned to me, “and you, sweetie?”

“Huh?” it was the second time in the row for the most sensible answer.

“Everyone needs a hug sometimes,” Monica said as she was talking to a kid. “Try this one.”

She handed me a wolf. The most peaceful and romantic wolf. But not a dog.

“You have time while Becky is lost in a hug with her fox.”

What had I to lose? I accepted the invitation and sat down next to Becky. She was hugging the fox with a dreamy expression on her face. I hugged the wolf. The soft touch was not the only special thing about him. The wolf, I mean. But the smell. The smell of the new toy and the smell of Christmas tree decorations from the attic and the smell of mom making hot chocolate with vanilla when I was a kid. That smell. And the feeling of peace.

Someone tugged on my sleeve.

“Huh?”

It was Becky. Something was wrong with her.

“What?” I asked and something was wrong with my voice too. It dawned on me. Becky's face was at my eye level.

“Earth to Sarah,” Becky said with a giggle waving her hand in front of my face as if trying to check if I wasn't sleeping.

I looked down at myself and I was dressed the same as Becky. The tee, shorts, trainers, and ankle socks.

I pinched my arm. No. I wasn't dreaming.

“Give me your wolf and take my fox,” Becky offered.

I was reluctant. What if it will change me back? I didn't want to change back! Tears welled in my eyes as I hugged the wolf in a death grip.

“It's ok sweetie,” Monica, the saleslady, stroked my head, “you'll never change back. I promise.”

“Really?” could I trust her?

“Really,” she assured me, “from now on it's your new life, Sarah Elizabeth Walker.”

I looked at her and she nodded her head. Then I turned to Becky and she had a grin plastered on her face.

I cautiously released the grip and let Becky take the wolf. I took the fox from her hands at the same time.

“Thank you, sis,” Becky said casually.

The bell rang announcing a new visitor when I was about to hug the fox. Becky and I turned to the door and there was mommy. Or was it Mrs. Walker? No! Mommy.

“You promised no new toys,” mom scolded. As if scolded.

“Those are not toys,” Becky said.

“They are our new friends,” I added.

“Friends?” mom asked with a smirk, “introduce us then.”

“Mom, meet my newest friend Alice,” I said turning the fox to face mom. I hoped Becky was ok with Alice as the name of her fox.

“And this is my new friend Boris,” Becky said and then added, “Boris, please meet my mom.”

“Friends… you say,” mom sighed, “ok. But only this time.”

“Weee!” we both cheered and locked mom in the group hug.

Mom paid and we left. Becky with Alice and I with Boris the most romantic wolf.

I turned to Monica while stepping through the door.

“Thank you, ma'am,” I said.

“You are welcome, sweetie,” she replied.

 

 

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OK...

...but that leaves the house without an owner. Doesn't seem plausible that the Walkers could have bought it from Boris's mother's estate if Boris hadn't existed.

Eric

Maybe...

Though I didn't remember myself at this age worrying about what house my parents were renting or owning.

No Remaining Family

Daphne Xu's picture

Another Huggles International story. So Boris/Sarah has to go through elementary school, middle school, and high school again. Does he forget his old self, his old family?

-- Daphne Xu

She will for sure

And it's wonderful I guess.

Absolutely

wonderful. And so is the story.

Kathleen

Short and Sweet

BarbieLee's picture

Sometimes the good stories leave an open end so the reader may add his or her own ending. Short stories are best for that as emotional ties to the actors or actresses aren't too deep and extra endings may be added without messing up the story.
Hugs QModo
Barb
Some of the best gifts in life are a few words. "I love you."

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Thank you

Thank you for your nice words.