The Story of a Reluctant Southern Belle (9)

Printer-friendly version

The meeting took place on a Friday I believe, the following day was Saturday. Uncle Sidney at this point seemed content to have me frolic around the house in a pair of skinny jeans and a t- shirt. He rarely said much to me anymore. Though from time to time I saw him peering out the window of his study or pacing up and down the concrete driveway. I was starting to see a different side of him. It was like a change had taken place deep inside of him. I knew when he discovered me wearing a old hand-me down dress, he had tried to scare me straight, the Bible having been his weapon of choice. But now he seemed to wrestling with something. A personal demon maybe, or maybe he was standing toe to toe with his own doubts.

But when he looked at me, it was not a look of scorn, nor was it a look of contempt. Instead he seemed twisted up inside. Anyway Saturday was payday and as promised I'd been paid for the work I'd done around the farm as Casper and the promised two hundred dollar allowance as Hailey. And oddly enough the first promised payment of twelve hundred dollars arrived via Western Union. Anyway it was Saturday night and Uncle Sidney had decided to cook steaks.

Which was odd, because the only time we had steak was when he felt like celebrating. Anyway, as normal Uncle Sidney sat at the head of the table and Aunt Cat sat beside him and I beside Aunt Cat so she could correct my table manners. We had just finished saying grace when Uncle Sidney cleared his throat and looked up from his plate.

“Hailey.” He said taking a deep breath. “I've been doing some thinking. I might have been too quick to judge you. I have been doing some thinking, some praying and I have asked the Lord to forgive me. It was wrong of me, to judge you and to use the Bible as a weapon.” He said sighing. “I also ask your forgiveness too.” He said taking another deep breath.

I blinked and blinked again.

“Of course.” I said And before I could catch myself I added. “Judge not, that ye be not judged. For what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: And with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?”

Uncle Sidney smiled and leaned back in his chair. “Simple homespun wisdom. Anyway, I'm going to settle this matter here and now. Do you wish to become Haiely? Or is it just some kind of charade you're putting on to pull the wool over my eyes.” He asked as he leaned in. “I want an honest answer from you.”

I blinked and blinked again.

“I think I want to become a woman. I mean I had fun at the meeting and I can't wait to play at church this coming Sunday!” I said without thinking. “Besides, Hailey has something of a blooming social life. Casper was just too shy to do anything. I mean..” My voice started to trail.

“That good enough.” Uncle Sidney said. “But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes', and your 'No', 'No'. For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.” He said, sighing. “I accept that as a 'Yes' then. Now, let's move onto another issue, in the eyes of the law you are still Casper. To the United State’s Government  you are still a boy, and to the state of Mississippi your still Casper. We need to change that before you enroll in school.”

I blinked and blinked again.

“I have a friend. We served together in Iraq War.” He paused. “He's a big time lawyer in Greenville. His name is William Percy. He's a firm supporter for people like you. You know people of the LGBTQ+ Crowed. Monday I'm going going to give him call.”

Aunt Cat and I blinked.

“I also his father and I hunt and fish together and we belong to the same country club. The Percy family controls Washington County pretty much. Nothing happens without their approval.” Uncle Sidney Said. “I'll tell him to start on the paperwork. He and the local judge are fellow masons. They belong to the same lodge. He'll help cut through all the red tape and stuff.”

And again Aunt Cat and I blinked.

“Listen, you're going to stay with us a while. I don't know what the future is going to hold. Your dad just won more money than he knows what to do with. Your older sister in college. But right now, I see you living with us at least for a year, if not more.” He leaned back in his chair.

I opened my mouth but once again he waved his hand and silenced me.

“I'm not finished speaking. If we don't start on this stuff now. We'll be caught with our pants down come September when school takes in. And I refuse to be caught with our pants around our ankles. So, here is what is going to happen. Aunt Cat is going to keep training you. I'm going to start calling in some favors. And we're going to get the ball rolling. Do you understand me?”

I was too stunned to speak. But after a few tense seconds I managed to mutter “Yes sir.”

“I understand the meeting with the UDC ladies went well and you've discovered your attraction to boys.” He added. “Now I'm not going to tell you to run your life.” He said. “I only ask if the mood is right that you use a condom...”

I was taking a sip of water at that very moment and I damn near choked on it. And I swear my eyes went as big as saucer plates. My Aunt blinked and blinked again. I think that last part shocked her.

“Listen! I know you don't need it!” Uncle Sidney was blushing. “But still! I know how boys are. I was a teenage boy myself. I know what they think about, and damn..” He seemed to be choking. “I've seen stuff when I was in the services. I'm just asking if you want to do it, that's fine.. just be sure to use a condom.. or have him use a condom.”

“OMG..” I said blushing. “I can't believe we are having this conversation right now..”

“I need wine..” Aunt Cat said as she looked around the table. “Maybe a whole bottle of it.”

“Anyway that's all I wanted to say.” He paused again. “That and welcome to the family.. Somebody should call Cindy and tell her she might want to come home soon and meet her new little sister.” He added as he started to attack his steak with his steak knife.

“All in good time. All in good time.” It had only taken Aunt Cat a moment to find a nearby bottle of wine and less than a second to uncork it. I had expected her to pour some in a glass and start to sip upon it. Instead she had lifted the neck of the bottle up to his lips and had taken a big swallow. Or several swallows. And given how she swayed the wine had clearly rushed to her head. At that moment I wish I was old enough to drink myself.

“Anyway let's finish eating, we have church tomorrow morning.. and I expect you to wear a proper dress. Something with sleeves

“I'll dress her!” Aunt Cat said as she swayed back and forth. She took another swallow of wine. I guess to get whatever mental image was forming out of her head. And given my Aunt Cat loved to read books about bare chested cowboys and lustful looking cow girls I doubt I wanted to know what kind of image was forming in her head.

Anyway the rest of the meal was not that eventful. And nothing else really happened. Aunt Cat, slowly eased off the wine and helped me get the kitchen in order. Uncle Sidney retreated to his study to pray or watch Fox News or maybe get the old shotgun down from the hallway closet. And I turned in shortly after ten o' clock.

And in a way, I'm kind of glad that little dinner took place. It kind of cleaned the air a little. With Uncle Sidney now firmly on my side I think, and Aunt Cat promising to double down on her efforts to turn me into a prim and proper Southern Belle, and Uncle Sidney lawyer friend handling all the legal mumbo-jumbo I could firmly set my eyes on one thing, that is the conquest of George Stoner. I guess tomorrow will mark the start of our courtship. And that was the last thought that entered into my head, a few seconds later I was drifting off to sleep.

up
118 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Loving it

This is a beautiful story im loving it more and more with each chapter. I'm wondering when and if Hailey will turn up in Benton.

EllieJo Jayne

A whole lot of blinking going on

Dee Sylvan's picture

Uncle Sidney just put Hailey on the Express Train to southern belle land. Obviously, he doesn't discuss these things in advance with Aunt Cat or she would have been hitting the wine well before dinner. Now Hailey is getting quite anxious to begin courting young Mr. Stoner. It sounds as though Hailey's parents aren't much into parenting though. $1200 dollars a month or 30 pieces of silver to assuage their consciences. Onward and upward Hailey, my dear.

DeeDee

A very unexpected change……

D. Eden's picture

Of heart from her uncle. Perhaps he does truly live his Christian values, rather than simply using scripture as a weapon to condemn those he doesn’t agree with. It also sounds like her aunt and uncle are going to better parents for her than her actual parents, who are more interested in galavanting around Europe and spending their new-found wealth.

Looking forward to seeing more.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

The Old Boys' Network

joannebarbarella's picture

Will get it all sorted, whatever it takes.

I wonder if Hailey has really thought it all through, because once she is legally transitioned she will be also mentally transitioned and most likely on the way to being physically feminised. There will be no going back and it seems she is no longer "reluctant".