Royal Retreat Part 15: Loose Ends

Printer-friendly version
Royal Retreat  

Tammyverse Book 13
 

 

Royal Retreat
Part 15
Loose Ends
Shiraz & Snowfall

 

 
Please note this is a work of fiction and any references to real people, real institutions or real heavily armed military units are for artistic purposes only!
 

“I’m sorry Joey, we’re stuck here for a few more days and then it’s a long train ride home.”

“You promised me some time off, Tammy!”

“I know, I know, but I couldn’t have known that a terrorist group would target us?”

“Really? It does seem to happen quite often.”

“I’ve been accused of being a catalyst.”

“More like an uncaring boss! I needed you yesterday afternoon, but your phone was off again.”

“I had an appointment, an important one.”

“Oh, come on, next you’ll be telling me you had tea with the Queen!”

“As it happens, I did. Yesterday afternoon to be exact.”

The line went dead so Tammy put her phone down.

“That didn’t go so well?”

“No Suzie, it didn’t.”

“And where was my ruddy invite?”

“You weren’t involved in the deployment.”

“I was caught up in your proxy war.”

“That isn't the same thing. Look, there will be another chance.”

“Yeah, as if that will happen.”

Tammy shrugged, it was pointless trying to argue with her step-sister. The invite had come on Thursday when they were given the choice of remaining at the Royal Guest Quarters or heading home. Suzie had wanted to go home, but was due to be interviewed by John Smith again so the four girls remained. That night had been a gala affair with many of the key security personnel being present for dinner. One highlight, albeit very embarrassing moment, came when a video presentation was played. The Duke and Duchess gave their thanks to all involved in their security on Kestrel and Ram's Rock. Tammy was singled out, with Maisie and Lizzie also receiving mentions.

When Tammy and Maisie returned to their room for the night they found the gold edged envelope and the invite: “Her Majesty commands that you attend for tea tomorrow at three.”

“Does that include me?”

“I reckon so, Maisie.”

“What’s the dress code?”

“Our uniforms, I guess. Perhaps we should have them laundered?”

“Is there time?”

“Yes, if we have them collected.”

That necessitated a call to Housekeeping and a chambermaid arrived a few minutes later.

“We have an appointment with the Queen tomorrow afternoon, so need them back by midday.”

“Of course, ma’am.”

Suzie had left on Friday lunchtime after her interview but Tammy and Maisie made an excuse and stayed. Lizzie had also received an invitation but didn’t have a uniform with her, so had opted for a frock.

The three girls had stayed Friday night, returning to Epping on Saturday morning by special taxi. They’d managed to keep news of the tea away from Suzie but Joey’s call, on speaker, had let the cat out of the bag.

“Well, how long are you staying?”

“Are you back to work on Monday?”

“Yes, but under supervision.”

“At least you weren’t sacked.”

“I hadn’t been told I couldn’t speak to mum, only that my mobile had to be off. She worries, you know.”

“Jeez, Suzie, you don’t get it, do you?”

“Get what?”

“Operational security. It’s about being aware of what you’re doing, what’s going on around you and how you can help protect yourself and others. Like that time a few weeks ago when you were spooked on the street and wet yourself. You do remember that, don't you?”

“How the hell do you know about that?” Suzie demanded angrily.

Tammy sipped her coffee. "I saw you."

"How?"

Tammy shook her head. “Sorry; need to know. It was clear then that you didn’t have full awareness around yourself. Quote; you have zero survival skills, End Quote.”

“And who said that?”

“It’s best you don’t know.”

“Tell me!”

“No, it's above your pay-grade. Getting mum to put pressure on me won't do any good either, so don't bother.”

“I’ll speak to dad.”

“And would you tell him that you wet your knickers? Somehow I don’t think so. Drop it, but please improve yourself. Think about your security and mitigate any threats.”

“That’s what John Smith said.”

“It’s common sense, Suzie, just common sense.”

“Yeah, that’s easy for you to say! When are you leaving?”

“We’ll get the sleeper tomorrow night so we’re back home on Monday morning.”

“Why don’t you fly?”

“The Epic is busy on paid jobs.”

“I mean fly commercial?”

“We’re armed and supposed to be low profile, that rules out flying commercial.”

“Do you have to?”

“I’ve been attacked, it’s an essential part of my security, plus I keep my senses working overtime.”

“Well, sis, I’m not happy and mum agrees.”

“I hate to remind you but I own a third of this house and it’s available to all the family even if you’re the only one who’s here all the time.”

“Just one more night?”

“Yes, unless plans change.”

Lizzie and Maisie chose that moment to return from a shopping expedition so Suzie made herself scarce after uttering that she wondered how the girls could afford to shop like that.

Maisie only had one small bag, probably containing a few t-shirts, whilst Lizzie had a couple of large carrier bags.

What Suzie hadn’t known was that a bonus had arrived in each of their accounts overnight. Tammy had moved her bonus to a savings pot whilst Maisie was thinking about maternity expenses and Lizzie wanted to blow it on clothes. Tammy also received her other pay as well, diverted through KT Flight. She wondered how exactly that trick was pulled off.

Whilst Suzie was in the kitchen preparing lunch Tammy started to book her and Maisie’s train tickets for the ride home. Maisie reminded Tammy of an appointment.

“Glasgow, on Monday morning?”

“Yes, it’s been booked for weeks.”

“Damn, we need a hotel for the night. What about Lizzie?”

“Send her to Thurso, but tell her to book a room and wait for us?”

“No Maisie, too risky. In an ideal world I would put her in AA House for a week or two to learn operational security, but I doubt John Smith would agree.”

“How come I was able?”

“Because it was seen that the Security Service would have a role for you from time to time, like they do with myself. Miss Harrison is quite different.”

“Yeah, when you put it that way.”

“Okay, Maisie, what time do we need to be in Glasgow?”

“Before dinner time tomorrow.”

“Okay, let’s find a suitable train and book some rooms.”

Tammy decided that the best approach was for her to book the expenses and get Lizzie to reimburse.

“Okay, I’ve got us onto a lunchtime train to Scotland tomorrow.”

“I wanted to go back to my house and collect a few things?”

“You went there before we flew out to the island?”

“Yeah, but I left a few things behind.”

“No, you’ll have to make other arrangements.”

“No-one has said what I’m doing?”

“I’m guessing you’ll receive orders from the Colonel, but I have a verbal instruction to take you back to Scotland. That does not mean I am responsible for your fare, though. I’ll let you know how much you owe, but it’ll be over a hundred and fifty.”

“That will leave me short until pay day.”

“How much did you spend in the stores today, Lizzie?”

“Two hundred and fifty, maybe more?”

“So how are you going to live?”

“I thought I’d be in your guest room?”

“No Lizzie, that won’t work.”

“Well, what then?”

“You need to buy or rent.”

“I can’t afford a deposit now, there’s another two weeks until I get my wages.”

“Have you always lived from pay day to pay day?”

“No, not always Tammy, I used to save for rainy days.”

“I suggest this is one of them, Lizzie.”

“I wouldn’t know where to look.”

“I run a property company.”

“Oh, yeah. I forgot that.”

“Look, it’s not really my place to tell you what to do, but I suggest you sell your property in Aldershot and put that money aside. When you get your permanent posting then you can buy off-base.”

“And where will that be?”

“I have no idea. Maisie and I both have civilian jobs based in the Highlands, so we stay there, but travel when and where needed. I have no idea where you’ll end up just as I couldn’t be certain until a day or so ago that you would be travelling back with us.”

“Oh.”

“So take this one step at a time and follow orders, Lizzie, that way we can all sleep safely. If you screw up; start talking to strangers about anything that we do then you are going to end up annoying some very senior people. If you drop me into the excrement then you will annoy some very nasty people who would feed you to the sharks.”

“Now you’re frightening me, Tammy.”

“Good. Remember that.”

-o-

“Tell me again, why are we in Glasgow?”

“Maisie has an appointment. Wait here, we’ll be an hour or so.”

They left Lizzie in the coffee shop at the Royal Infirmary before heading around to the Fertility Clinic. They were met by Doctor Angela Hyde.

“Good morning ladies. If you have any questions; then I’d like those out of the way now, please.”

Neither spoke up or indicated they had a question.

Doctor Hyde nodded. “Good. Now, Maisie, how long ago was your last period?”

“Just under three weeks.”

“Okay, we have some paperwork to sign then I’ll explain the procedure. Tell me, have you just had a holiday?”

“We had a few weeks near Bermuda, on business, so it wasn’t a holiday as such.”

“Business?”

Maisie replied. “I’m a fitness trainer and assessor. My clients wanted privacy so they flew us out there. I didn't lay on a beach all day!”

"I guess it would be better to call it a working holiday?" Tammy offered.

Doctor Hyde smiled. "I wouldn't mind one of those. Maisie, let's fill out these forms."

-o-

Lizzie’s luggage had been a problem that morning when they left their bags in the hotel’s baggage room. It became a bigger issue when their cab arrived to take them to Glasgow Airport.

“Och, too much!”

A second cab was ordered, which Lizzie had to take. Naturally she ended up at the wrong terminal.

“Where are you?” Tammy asked over the phone.

“By security, I can’t see any flights to Wick, or Thurso?”

“Get a cab to the Business Aviation Centre. Do it NOW!” Tammy ordered then disconnected.

Petra had flown the Epic in and looked over. “Is she for real?”

“Yes, Petra, unfortunately.” Tammy sighed then added. "I'm partially at fault though. I told Lizzie but I forgot to also tell the driver where to take her."

“You were lucky, I’m between jobs with the Epic. Jim says you only called yesterday.” Petra said.

“We honestly didn’t know what we were doing. That’s even more true for Lizzie.”

Petra gave her a look of pity. "I don't envy you that. Jim wants to see you. Something about getting more charters because of something called Elegant Executive. A lot of women are using us."

"Elegant Executive is a business women's service. They have a course of betterment seminars, and an app to find amenities globally. I took the seminar last year and that's how KT got listed. You can recognize women that have taken the course by this." Tammy said then tapped her lapel, featuring the stylized double-E brooch.

Petra inspected the ornament. "That's quite nice. Where is this service?"

"The Bahamas." Tammy grinned. "Maisie was able to take an abridged version while I had a few days of meetings."

Petra looked to Maisie, who nodded. "I had a personal seminar with a fitness instructor named Bella Falconi. She was great, but put me through a rough cycle. There was another woman, forgot her name, but she gave me lessons on the business side of personal training. All the women I met were very excited and having a great time on their course."

Petra took note of their tans, with a grin. "I see not all your time was sitting indoors!"

"Well, we can't very well visit the islands and not pick up a bit of colour, now can we?" Tammy laughed.

Maisie took out her phone and showed it to Petra. The pilot burst into laughter.

Tammy looked at her. "Just what did you show her?"

Maisie turned the phone around. "Just this."

The picture of Tammy in the skimpy pink bikini took the whole screen and seeing it made her turn bright red.

"MAISIE!" Tammy yelped in embarrassment.

Petra laughed. "Now THAT'S quite the look! Just what sort of business was that for?"

Maisie wasn't done. "Oh there were stilts to go with! On the sand too!"

"I'll never live this down." Tammy griped, but was glad Maisie hadn't been with her either time meeting the Coast Guard.

Petra giggled. "I had no idea you were that daring, Tammy. I bet Jim and the guys would have quite the day to see that!"

"And my father would have kittens!" Tammy stated.

The humour continued for the fifteen minutes they waited for the Flight Lieutenant to arrive, struggling with her luggage. Quickly they loaded it onto their trolley.

Petra shook her head. “Oh, that’s going to be a squeeze.”

A bored security guard looked like he was going to pounce on Lizzie’s bags for a ‘security check’. Tammy and Maisie intercepted and produced their NATO passes.

“You know what these are?" Tammy asked with authority edging her voice.

The guard nodded quickly. “Aye, I was in the Guards.”

“We’re on business and my RAF colleague,” Tammy pointed, “is having a bad day. I could even find myself putting her on a charge later.”

“But you’re Army?”

“And her immediate superior, it’s complicated.”

“I understand. Carry on, Ma'am.”

Lizzie finally caught on and shuffled her bags forward, although Petra took pity on her in an attempt to speed up departure.

“What did you mean, you being my superior?”

“That’s how the Colonel explained it. Come on, I want to get home.”

An hour or so later they landed at Wick. Maise’s van was parked next to Tammy’s Mini Cooper so all the bags went in the van for the ride back into Thurso.

Finally at 3pm they let themselves into the house, a security panel was flashing with a message.

Briefing 1900. Not Miss Harrison.

They were hungry, but the fridge was empty.

“Maisie, can you load the washing machine? Lizzie, we’re going shopping.”

“What does that message mean?”

“You are not cleared for whatever is being discussed. I think I’ll ask for you to get a residential security course.”

“Is that necessary?”

A voice was heard from the security panel. “Absolutely, fucking, YES.”

Tammy shrugged. “Come on Lizzie, before I change my mind and tell you to get a hotel room, in Aberdeen.”

She called Joey from the car.

“Are you in the office?”

“No, I‘m with mum, she’s house hunting this week.”

Tammy hadn’t wanted to hear that but, given she’d been away for four weeks, Joey did deserve some time off.

“Okay, did you want a week or two off, paid holiday?”

“A week. When are you next away?”

“I’ve lost track of time, what day is it?”

“Monday 16th April.”

“Oh, okay, so we'll be away about four weeks from now, unless something happens.”

“When’s the wedding?”

“Don’t know, and probably not in this country.”

“Oh, well.”

“Look, Joey, I know you want to be a bridesmaid so you’ll be there, understood?”

“Sure, got to go.”

They’d arrived at Lidl and stopped in a bay. Lizzie had clearly heard every word of the conversation.

“Where are you going in May?”

“Away, it’s a commercial event and not a military job.”

“So I’m not needed?”

“No and my guess is that you’ll be busy training.”

“Oh.”

“Let’s get this right, Lizzie. I have been asked, rather ordered, to write reports on you whilst you are based up here. At some point you will be posted elsewhere. I already have a partner who assists me professionally and I have an office assistant who usually looks after my estate business. I don’t have a role for you and I’m doing this because I was ordered to, not because I want to or need to.” Tammy explained.

Lizzie frowned. "Oh."

Tammy nodded. "Right, now let's get food and head back. I need to get right with my diet starting tonight."

"They mentioned something at that course." Lizzie remarked as they got out of the car.

Tammy nodded. "They gave you a plan of diet and exercise, didn't they?"

Lizzie fiddled with her handbag, silently.

"You've been ignoring that plan then." Tammy surmised and shook her head. "You'll regret it later. Hormones make you gain weight. How was it put again; you want lips, hips and tits, not guts, ass and udders. Get on your program and stay on it."

"That isn't a nice way to say it." Lizzie waited as Tammy grabbed a trolley and followed as they went around loading it.

Tammy shrugged. "Your plan is different from mine I imagine, so it shouldn't be so difficult to manage."

Lizzie shook her head quickly. "No way am I doing that insane routine you do!"

"You aren't required to do all the things I may be required to either." Tammy said dropping the last item into the basket. "That's all."

The cashier looked at Tammy and looked envious. "That's a lovely tan!"

"Thank you. A bit of beach time never hurts." Tammy smiled back then paid for the shopping.

As they loading the bags into the boot, Lizzie asked. "You didn't tell her we were on a private island?"

"No. Why would I should I? We were in Freeport. I was having business meetings, Maisie and you were in seminars. That is where we were and what we did." Tammy answered then closed the rear hatch. "There is nothing to suggest otherwise. Check your phone, the pictures you have show that."

-o-

Back home the shopping was unloaded and taken inside. Tammy grabbed her diet folder and began preparing dinner before Maisie could jump in and do whatever was convenient for herself. Instead Maisie offered to unpack Tammy's luggage.

Tammy shook her head. "I'll do that myself."

The bell to the front rang so Maisie went to answer and came back with two boxes.

"You sent this? Why not just pack it in our cases?"

"Some of that isn't allowed on commercial flights so it was shipped before we left." Tammy answered then opened the box. "Oh good, nothing wrecked!"

Maisie watched as Tammy set out two make-up cases, perfume bottles and boxed sets of hair care products. She pushed one set toward Maisie.

"Those are yours." Tammy said.

Maisie opened the case and looked in wonder. "How did you get all this?"

"These are gifts through the racing team. Oh, you can have these too." Tammy said then chose two shirts each from the pile and topped it with a cap and sun visor.

Maisie was sniffing the perfume then looked at the bottle. "Vendetta? Valentino? This isn't expensive, is it?"

"I didn't ask. Lyssa wears it though, but that may be in her contract. I like it. It's nice." Tammy said then pulled a white polo shirt with the team logo to set aside. "Lizzie can have this."

Tammy opened the other box and found an engine part and giggled to herself.

"What is it?" Maisie asked then looked in. "What is that?"

"Something for Jim I got. Go ahead and take that up to Lizzie." Tammy replied.

Tammy waited for Maisie to be up the stairs then reached into the aircraft part and pulled a soft pouch that jingled in her hand. She knew immediately what it was when she saw the part. It was a bag of Australian gold coins, just as promised. Tammy rushed downstairs to put the bag in her safe and return as Maisie came back down. Maisie took the other items up to their room and set them down.

"Did you know some of those shirts are men's?" Maisie asked.

Tammy guessed. "I think those are for our Dads. I have enough women's tops for the both of us, one for Lizzie, Joey, Angela and Mum."

Lizzie came down and asked. "What is B-R-I?"

"Butterfly Racing something. It's race team I sponsored. That was the business meetings I was in while you two were in seminars." Tammy explained.

Lizzie looked confused. "I don't remember you taking any meetings with a racing team? The only time you left the island was meeting us and going after those terrorists."

"I was much busier than you were." Tammy grinned. "Some of it was even fun."

Maisie shook her head. "Fun likely meaning insane if that woman leading the exercise was involved. I thought she really wanted me to jump out of a plane!"

"You mean parachuting? Why?" Lizzie asked.

Tammy said nothing but did grin. Maisie shook her head and commented such things were an indication of being mental. Tammy finished their dinner and served it up. After eating it was time for the briefing so Lizzie was designated to wash up the dishes. Tammy closed and locked the top door to the basement then one at the bottom as well. Maisie lowered the screen. A moment later a countdown began then the screen sectioned into two. The image of Kimberly on the right side and Dannigan on the other.

He was shuffling papers and didn't glance up. "Evening ladies. Glad to see you at home."

"Thank you, Sir." Tammy replied then to Kimberly. "Ma'am. ALL items received."

Kimberly nodded. "Good. The credit card has already been sent to MacTaggart. With expected charges on it."

"First class tickets, lunch at a four star restaurant and some over-priced crappy souvenirs?" Dannigan asked.

Kimberly nodded. "And two bottles of Bourbon. The bourbon and souvenirs were shipped to MacTaggart and Addington on the card as well along with a note relaying your regards."

"I hope you included my dictated insults with all the proper four-letter words? Well done Captain." Dannigan said then set his papers aside.

Tammy wanted to fall out of her chair laughing at that statement, Maisie's jaw simply dropped in shock.

"The both of them know I am far from amused about the goings on. Completely unacceptable. Smart, I damn near had you pulled out and Staines with you." Dannigan said hotly.

Tammy smiled. "Thank you, Sir. Things did work out, though I still don't have all the details."

"I'm just worried about the next attempt to get that guy out of prison." Maisie said to nobody in particular.

Dannigan spoke in response. "It won't happen, Staines. If there is another attempt, both will vanish."

Tammy looked impressed. "Rather nasty, Sir."

"Nobody screws with my people. You being under my flag, Smart, makes you one of my people. I'll get as nasty as I see fit." Dannigan growled.

"Thank you, Sir, sincerely." Tammy said honestly.

Dannigan moved on. "There is improvement with your reporting, continue to do so. You took your training and remedial training seriously and the record reflects so. Good. What is left outstanding?"

"An issue of harassment at University, Sir. I was given advice and think I have a workable plan to proceed." Tammy answered.

Dannigan looked intently at her. "Harassment? I was under the impression the issue involved attendance. Elaborate."

"A student, maybe more, started spreading the rumour that my instructor and I are having an affair. The rumour is unfounded, of course. The instructor and I do have a past; his wife convinced me to perform in the local playhouse. He was with the local police and had the clearance to be in the know about my problems. We've been on good terms, but due to all that he may be considering retiring."Tammy explained then added. "The Vice-Chancellor placed me on suspension before the deployment."

Dannigan nodded. "I see. What's your plan?"

"I'll have my solicitor prepare a writ against the Vice-chancellor, naming him personally, for enabling and encouraging harassment. I will give him the option of dealing with the rumour-mongers permanently or I file the writ. I won't include the university, just him. That way he will be on his own and not have the university supporting him." Tammy said.

"That's UHI in Thurso, Sir." Kimberly supplied.

Dannigan seemed to be looking at something on a screen, Tammy assumed it was information about the university.

"See if there is some leverage that can be of use to Smart." Dannigan remarked. "I may need to have a conversation with Addington. Her absences for tasking are supposed to be covered."

Kimberly nodded. "We'll get right on it. If there isn't any, shall we make life difficult?"

"Yes. For him and whoever is higher up. Make it clear he's to blame, but only he knows why." Dannigan replied.

Kimberly grinned. "We can have him pulling his hair out in twenty minutes and begging our girl for mercy in a couple of hours."

"These people are scary." Maisie muttered.

-o-

Tuesday was all admin, so for Tammy the uniform of the day was skirt suit and mid-heels. She went with full make-up, perfume and styled hair. Lizzie choose a frock and jacket set. The pair went first to the Smart Properties office where Tammy dealt with any outstanding issues and diverted the office phone to her mobile. Coffee was brewed and consumed, but without any pastries. Tammy vowed to control her snacking as failure was no longer an option.

"Why am I here?" Lizzie asked, refilling her cup.

Tammy checked a page and made notes."So I can keep an eye on you, Lizzie. as I said, I have a civilian life and you don't."

Tammy shifted in her chair, adjusting for the Glock at the small of her back. The Maddog strapped to the back of her right thigh wasn't a problem as she usually sat with her left leg crossed over her right.

"I'd like to go out for a walk."

"So you can tell everyone that you come across that you had tea with Her Majesty a few days ago, or that you had a barbecue with the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall on a private tropical island?"

"Well, no."

"You are bursting to tell someone, though?"

"Yes, I guess so."

"Okay, Lizzie, you need to understand that I live and work here. You can't go around broadcasting to anyone and everyone about us. Deniability and damage control are in effect everyday here. I will do anything to protect what I have built here as well as my relationship with Maisie."

"Was that a threat?"

"If you want to take it that way, yes."

Tammy's phone rang, interrupting the non-conversation.

"Hello?"

"Captain Smart?"

"Yes?"

"I have a package for you."

"I'm at my office, do you have the address?"

"One moment. Affirmative."

It was barely ten minutes later that Tammy signed for the package, having produced her ID card. Against her better judgement she opened the outer thick envelope. Two items were within, one for Lizzie and one with a 'Secret' tag for Tammy & Maisie. She handed over the first one to Lizzie but slid the other back inside and taped it shut.

Lizzie was reading and informed her. "Oh, it's my orders. Why did they come to you?"

"Because I'm in charge of you. Also; I have an address and you don't."

"Oh."

"So what does it say?"

"That I am to undertake commercial training on rotary and fixed wing aircraft. Multi-engine and jet are mentioned, but it doesn't say why?"

"You're a pilot and that is your orders, so obey."

"I don't know where to do this, in the RAF you speak to your CO and they book it."

"Who is your CO?"

"Oh, you are."

"I am, CAPTAIN!"

"Yes, Ma'am, sorry, ma'am."

"What else does it say?"

"I am being attached for the long-term to Task Force Claymore, under the Broadsword Regiment, but retain my RAF rank. It also says that if I don't accept these orders I should tender my resignation immediately."

"I believe the option is termination, not resignation."

"No, it definitely says resignation. I don't even know who or what this Task Force Claymore is."

"Claymore is my working group. Myself, Maisie and whoever gets assigned, such as you."

"Oh. What did you get?"

"Possibly my double-O designation."

"That's just fiction."

"Don't test me."

Tammy spent another half hour in the office, sending out a week's worth of renewal and inspection emails to her clients. Whilst she was busy with that she switched to her personal emails and checked what had recently arrived.

From Jeremiah Smith
Date: 17 April 2018
Subject: re:UHI Suspension
 
Miss Smart,
Please give me a call.
 
Jeremiah

She couldn't do as asked whilst Lizzie was around, especially if the call was going to be bad news.

"Okay Lizzie, I'm winding this down. We'll be going soon."

"Did you have an idea where I could live?"

"Yes, there's an apartment available but that depends on where you are training."

"Can't I live here and travel?"

"It takes hours to get anywhere up here. That's one reason why I have a PPL and an upgrade, even though Petra took the controls yesterday. Do you have a car licence?"

"No, I never needed one."

"So you will have to be very close to your training site? Great."

Tammy tapped away at her office PC.

"Okay, Lizzie, here's an Aberdeen company that does basic plus night flying and instrument certification. There's a Travelodge a few hundred metres away, so I suggest you stay there Sunday night to Friday lunchtime."

"Why not all week?"

"Because you are going to give me progress reports as you get certified before I become certifiable."

"You're not making sense, Tammy."

"Maybe not to you, but I'm trying to work out how deep this hole is."

Lizzie shook her head. "I have NO idea."

"On that one, Flight Lieutenant, I agree."

Tammy sent the aircraft training company a quick email explaining her needs before securely locking the office. As a precaution she had disabled Joey's door pass, so it was one less thing to worry about.

The next stop was at the airport. Tammy noted that the Epic was absent and Jim was also out. Tammy left the part still in the box on his desk and scribbled a quick note. She checked the aircraft duty board and saw that the Epic was out all week on golf course duty.

Having left Lizzie in the car she walked to the back of the hangar then out of the emergency exit so she was out of sight. She called Smith, Smith & Smith Solicitors and was put through to Jeremiah.

"Ah, Miss Smart. Could you pay me a visit?"

"When?"

"I'm here until one."

"Okay, I'm out of town but will be with you well before then. In fact I was going to speak to you regardless."

"In which case, let's wait until we meet?"

Tammy sent a text to Maisie before walking back to her car. Maisie quickly replied that she was now home and would start lunch soon.

"Right. Lizzie, I'm dropping you off at my house. I have a meeting with my solicitor." Tammy said as she drove back to Thurso.

Lizzie nodded. "You're very busy."

"Yes, I am. I have a lot I need to do and things I want to do. It may take the rest of the week to get to it all done, especially as my assistant isn't here." Tammy replied.

Tammy dropped Lizzie behind the house and watched her go up the steps to wait for Maisie to open the door. She pulled out of the space and drove around to the town's carpark and found a space. Tammy locked up her mini and quickly walked across to the solicitor's offices. Solicitor-in-training John Hibbert was looking after Reception.

"Good morning Tammy, you look nice."

"Thank you John, is Jeremiah free?"

"He is, go straight in."

The usual greetings were exchanged and Tammy took a seat.

"Tell me, Miss Smart, why did you need to see me?"

"It relates to my suspension from the University, I have taken some advice and would like to sue the Vice Chancellor for encouraging assaults on me, by failing to prevent the spreading of slanderous allegations.

"I see, I hope you realise that it would have to be heard in the High Court, probably Edinburgh, and the chances of success are low?"

"Perhaps just the threat would ensure justice is done?"

"I see, but I feel it's unnecessary as matters have moved forward, somewhat favourably."

"Oh."

"I had a call yesterday from Sir Thomas Addington, I believe you know him?"

"Indeed."

"He gave me a briefing on some of your recent activities and I do not believe, for one moment, that anything he said was hyperbole."

"He may use flowery language but you can take his words without hesitation."

"Indeed. He insisted that I could not put anything in writing nor inform any of my colleagues about our call but felt his verbal briefing would help me."

"I obviously don't know how much he said?"

"Well done on your promotion, Captain Smart."

"Thank you."

"And you had tea with her Majesty last week?"

"Yes, the Palace gardens are lovely in the Spring."

"And you protected the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge against a terrorist attack?"

"Sorry, Jeremiah, I can't confirm that."

"Understandable, anyway I had a call from the University this morning and it seems that the Chancellor was called by Sir Thomas who then put the Duchess of Cambridge on the line. I wasn't told what was said but it seems she made it very clear to the Chancellor that you must be allowed to conclude your course with allowances for matters of state."

"I see."

"It would seem that the University's charter could be re-evaluated, according to Sir Thomas. He may have said that to the Chancellor."

"So?"

"I was promised an email, let me check."

Jeremiah grabbed the mouse and accessed his mail application, before reaching for his printer as a sheet was ejected. Tammy's phone vibrated in her bag whilst he was doing this, she ignored it as Jeremiah was ready to read out the email.

"This is from the Chancellor. We would like to inform you that an independent review of the allegations concerning your client and a tutor have determined that the suspension was based on vexatious and frivolous verbal submissions."

"Prompted, no doubt, by concern for his job?"

"I couldn't possibly guess. He continued that a new investigation has been started to investigate ongoing and persistent bullying and how this has been managed. A Vice Chancellor had been removed from his role during the investigation due to a conflict of interests."

"So my writ isn't needed?"

"Indeed. There's also a statement that a reasonable allowance for your absences on matters of state will be accepted, subject to full completion of coursework."

"I'd made that offer before. Thing is, even considering the Easter break I would still have two weeks to catch up and I have a feeling I won't be free before the end of this week."

"I'll pass that back. You must have made an impression on the Duchess?"

"I did my job, and took the Duke fishing."

"Sir Thomas didn't mention that? Anyway, I believe that concludes the matter. You should receive a personal email inviting you back to the course."

"And you'll send me your invoice in due course?"

"The University is settling, which is fair considering the circumstances."

"Excellent."

Tammy checked her phone when she reached her car. The text was from Ben Franklin.

I don't know what you did, Tammy, but I've been asked to go back. I'm considering it.

 

Back home Tammy could hear one of the training DVDs being played in the basement, guessing that Lizzie was getting OpSec 101, courtesy of Maisie's training pack. She grabbed a light lunch then went up to her office with the resealed package from the courier.

The envelope for herself was now opened and a selection of items dropped out. First was a credit card in the name of Captain T Smart. A covering note explained this was for Broadsword related expenses, including training and staffing costs.

Next was a cheque, drawn on the Coutts account for the Royal Family for ten thousand pounds. There was no explanation but Tammy decided immediately she would query it with Sir Thomas before banking it, and that she wouldn't bank it in Thurso.

She had her own orders, and that included an instruction for her and Maisie to attend a debrief the next day at Catterick Garrison, with an expectation that this would last until Friday. Lizzie wasn't mentioned but it was clear she wasn't needed.

An email arrived so she diverted her headscratching for a moment.

From A1 Air Training
Date: 17 April 2018
Subject: Re: Fixed wing training
 
Thank you for your enquiry. We would like to initially assess Miss Harrison and have an opening tomorrow afternoon. If acceptable then we would conduct initial health checks on Thursday. Please confirm that this is agreeable and contact us to arrange payment.

Tammy did as asked, glad that, for once, the stars were aligned.

She called the airport, finding Jim.

"Did you see the part?"

"Indeed, I have no idea why you ordered it but we need this exact part for one of the choppers. The embossed part number is an exact match."

"Glad to help. What's the Epic doing?"

"There's a ladies invitation golf competition just outside Cork. We're providing an executive service from Heathrow for the players. It's worth some good money."

"In which case I will need my Czech Sport tomorrow for a few days."

"Can you say where you're going?"

"Teeside, again."

"Okay, we'll book you a landing and refuel."

"Thanks Jim."

She continued her dig into the package, finding a ribbon for her and Maisie's dress uniforms. a note explained this was related to Operation Jewel.

-o-

Tammy walked Lizzie to Thurso Station early on Wednesday morning with instructions for the girl to first check into her hotel then to go to the air training company. Maps and instructions were supplied.

"Is this necessary?"

"It's that or a very dishonourable discharge, and that is the least worst possible outcome."

"Okay, but when do I get back?"

"Coming back there's one at 10.10 and another at 15.25. Stay through to Friday morning then come back. You can text me but don't call as I'll be in meetings. You'd best board as it's about to go."

"Okay, how long is the journey?"

"Six hours, keep to your diet, bye."

Back indoors she and Maisie packed what they needed into small cases but both were flying in dress uniform. A drive over to Wick Airport was uneventful and they found the two seater parked outside of the KT Flight hangar.

"She's ready for you, Tammy."

"Thanks Jim."

It was a tight fit stowing their bags in the limited space but Tammy had predicted this. It was, however, rare that Tammy used her personal aircraft and even rarer that Maisie accompanied her in it.

The three hours ride South was good and Jim had done as promised so they were expected. She refuelled immediately, paying using the new card rather than on the KT Flight account. A Jeep collected them for the ride over to Catterick Camp.

"You're booked into the visiting officers suite on base Ma'am. That's where I've been asked to take you."

"I hope that includes my Sergeant, Corporal?"

"I'm sorry, I wasn't told anything, Ma'am. Perhaps that can be sorted when you arrive there?"

"That's acceptable."

Tammy needn't have worried as the double suite was more than big enough for the pair. They found their way to the Officers Mess for lunch. Tammy didn't explain to anyone that Maisie was her guest, but both were wearing their new ribbons and given that it was rare for Sergeants to be found in their dress uniform, Maisie was clearly there for a reason.

Lunch was light, but exceeded both of their diet sheets. They were collected by the same Corporal at one.

"Colonel MacTaggart requests that you join him."

That required a short ride over to a block, with Tammy wondering why they hadn't walked. The Corporal pointed down a set of steps which lead to a secured door.

Tammy tried her pass and was pleased to find that it worked. The room was quite dark and a pair of video screens were on the far wall but weren't displaying anything. A figure walked out of the murkiness.

"Ah, Tammy, good."

"What's so important, Sean? I thought we'd dealt with everything?"

"There are some loose ends, my dear."

The room lighting increased and Tammy could now also see Sir Thomas, John Smith and Kevin Edmunds.

"I believe you know everyone here? We also have Major Dannigan and a lady I'm sure you are familiar with available online. Please take a seat."

Kevin started the proceedings.

"Tammy, Maisie, my team sent a taskforce into the Army Intel Investigators last Thursday and took over all running cases while the original investigators were debriefed. They discovered attempts to hide or destroy evidence that could have been used to support or defend yourselves, whilst supporting further launches into your communications and those of your friends and family."

"So they really were out to get me?"

"Indeed, Tammy, whilst permitting terrorists to operate in the wrong belief that they were protecting democracy!"

"Incredible, Kevin, but what of Maisie's father?"

"The investigation fell to our team, but we brought in prosecutors from the Royal Navy to decide how to proceed. In short; it was never believed that his actions were malicious but that Staff Sergeant Staines' existing concerns were exaggerated in order to win control over him. Ultimately it was accepted that he committed no crime but had shown incredibly bad judgement and as such cannot continue to be a part of the Army."

"Where is he now?"

"In a hotel outside Salisbury. His hearing will take place tomorrow but he is under orders not to speak to anyone, including family."

"What's the likely outcome?"

"As he's beyond the voluntary retirement it's expected that his retirement will be made mandatory. That avoids the need for a discharge hearing, assuming that he accepts the retirement. He keeps his pension that way, as well, but loses his security clearance as well as any access to Ministry of Defence sites even for social reasons."

Maisie spoke up. "He never had a social life."

"That's what my team also determined. I would ask that you don't call him until the decision is formal."

"I need him for my wedding."

Kevin nodded. "I just hope he accepts what is proposed and moves on."

Tammy spoke for them. "He's not a bad guy but he accepted the lies rather quickly. That means he's vulnerable. Will he receive any help?"

"We'll investigate if an outreach counsellor can speak to him after the hearing."

"Thanks Kevin. Now, what of Marcus?"

"He's at AA House being debriefed." John Smith answered, taking over from Kevin.

"So not detained?"

"He's co-operating with the debriefing team and is remorseful apparently. I do believe he's trying to protect his pension."

"He never liked me, never accepted how I work and always made life difficult for myself and those around me. On that basis I shouldn't care what happens to him, but I wonder why he decided to throw a career away by working with True Freedom?"

"He never knew it was True Freedom."

"Rubbish, he had the briefing documents. I could see their moves from miles away."

The image of Dannigan now appeared on one of the monitors, he was dressed in a uniform that Tammy had never seen before. She saluted, out of habit.

"As you were, Captain. I agree with your assessment; why is he being given executive treatment after trying to destroy Tammy's own career? Can you answer, Colonel?"

Sean acknowledged Dannigan. "I'm not involved in the process, especially as he was my subordinate."

"So who is handling him?"

"My team are, on behalf of the army, That's why he's at Abigail Adams House, to the North of London." It seemed clear that John Smith didn't know who the American officer was.

"I'm well aware of the facility, Mr Smith, but your team are investigators and analysts not prosecutors or even legally qualified."

"Indeed, but we are an intelligence gathering agency and right now we're learning more about True Freedom through his debrief."

Dannigan pointed at him on screen. "You ignored Smart when she cried wolf, you wouldn't accept that there were people hiding within your own ranks who could have brought your country down. Smart saw it but no-one believed her! No-one except myself and a few select intelligence operators."

"There wasn't the evidence."

"It was there, you chose not to open your eyes."

John Smith shook his head, unused to being criticised.

Paul Dannigan shook his head. "How is your own witch hunt going? Has Mr Brown claimed any heads yet?"

"How do you know about that?"

"I run an agency, too, Smith. And we're that damn good at what we do. Sir Thomas and Colonel MacTaggart can attest to that. Did you not think that bringing a key chief analyst back along with ten retired officers wouldn't go unnoticed? You should have led him in with a brass band."

"Oh."

Tammy kept her eyes on Dannigan as he ripped into the MI5 Personnel Security chief.

"So new staff walk up the steps of Thames House and talk to other new folk like they're old friends, that's the real game. Deciphering why and how they know each-other. Then Dave Brown arrives, yet he was officially retired a few years back. Smith, you didn't look after him when True Freedom made their first moves two years ago?"

"It was bad timing with miscommunication that led him to being assaulted."

"By the police." Kimberly stated.

John Smith had no answer. "That was unfortunate."

Dannigan continued. "Spilling coffee on your superior, is unfortunate. You failed to learn that True Freedom distorts truths, muddles communications and sets agency against agency, person against person. When that behavior starts to appear it's time to check you haven't been infiltrated!"

"Point taken, Sir."

Major Dannigan was now having fun. "Could someone tell me what is happening to the ringleader? Is he getting tea with the Queen for his services to Great Britain?"

Sir Thomas Addington had been quiet until this point. "There are protocols in place for treasonable acts, Major."

"We have the same; a double tap settles matters quite effectively."

"Yes, Major, but I'm sure you know our legal system doesn't work that way. William Burgess was stripped of his knighthood earlier today on the advice of the Privy Council. His place in the Lords is more complicated, but matters are underway."

"Where is he?"

"We don't know."

Dannigan leaned forward and glared. "I wondered when that was going to come out."

"Paul, please bear with us. I understand your anger." Sean said quickly, he knew his friend was close to launching his own operation, cooperation be damned.

Sir Thomas continued. "For the benefit of those who weren't already aware: an arrest warrant was issued on Wednesday last week for Sir William, as he was then, and the warrant was executed as he left his London apartment on Thursday morning. Unfortunately that was a doppelgänger and the address was only a letter drop. The Police are checking his other addresses, but it's entirely possible that he's not in the country and possibly hasn't been here for several months."

Dannigan's gaze shifted. "Captain."

"Understood, Sir." Kimberly replied then her feed went black.

Dannigan looked back. "Smart, you are now upgraded to: Standby, one-hour recall."

Dannigan's feed cut as well.

MacTaggart wiped his face with his hand. "Jesus, Mary and Joseph."

"What the hell does that mean?" John Smith demanded, looking at Tammy.

Tammy schooled her expression. "I have to be ready to deploy within an hour."

"He can't give you that kind of order! Doesn't he understand you work for me?" John almost shouted.

Sir Thomas cleared his throat, gaining attention. "Technically; Tammy is attached to the Security Service with a primary to Broadsword. In truth, Tammy is under that man's organization. We wronged Tammy too many times and when we needed a favour, Tammy was the price we paid. The Major can give her orders. You, on the other hand, have to ask her politely. I've been doing the asking up to this point, as has Sean."

Sir Thomas took a sip from his glass but held his hand up to prevent interruption.

"You should show care, John, as the next time you may be told to go stuff yourself. Remember, I'm chair of the Intelligence Oversight Committee. Up for consideration next week is whether you have demonstrated you're capable of preventing infiltration and protecting incumbent staff? If you can't do those then perhaps your role needs to be re-evaluated?"

John Smith didn't answer and seemed to sink into his chair.

"Well said, Sir Thomas." Offered Sean.

Tammy finally smiled. "I joined the in-crowd."

"And they're all insane." Maisie muttered.

*** to be continued ***

 

Tammy Beginnings follows sixteen year old Tom Smart as he starts his voyage of self discovery. This is an expanded Preludes story. Part 2 soon.
Don wants to pursue a career in Voice Acting and has been training himself. He's even developed some feminine character voices. What not even his closest friends or Dad know is: the latest feminine voice is destined for higher purpose. Opportunity and one strange chance change his life forever. Not all things in the night go 'bump'. Sometimes you find a voice of light, when you change your dial!
up
366 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Royal Retreat is the best

Royal Retreat is the best Tammyverse series yet. I look forward to each chapter.

Amanda

Loose Ends?

joannebarbarella's picture

Not so loose and too many to ignore!

At least Tammy is finally finding out that she does have friends.

So Far

Most of those "friends" have done a piss poor job of supporting her when she needed it. It's time to start building fires under some people, or they are going to lose a very valuable operative. If that happens, they may be awarding her a posthumous medal. That would severely annoy the residents of Buck House.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

WOW

Another GREAT chapter, thanks Shiraz and Snowfall. Looks almost as if Burgess has a bullet with his name on it now.

I am disliking this whole ‘waiting a week before the next instalment’ thingy. I would love to read the whole story ASAP. But I suppose S & S have reasons beside ‘getting their jollies’ for making us all wait (impatiently).

An Avid Reader

Bullet

A bullet would be too cheap. After all what he did for *cough, cough* his country, he deserves the "Royal Treatment". Personal and undivided attention around the clock, 24/7. Personal trainer, personal physician, personal dentist, personal secretary (so none of his artistic thoughts are lost), personal clothes designer, personal hairdresser, an artist specializing in abstract body art, the whole shebang.

One hour of personal attention with Lyssa or Tiffany

Using Innana. He would give up ALL his secrets including where ALL POSSIBLE usable funds might be cached. It would save a lot of time and personnel.

AAR

Yup

smdani4mm's picture

Here Here!

SmDani4

Wowwzer!

About time the cards were put on the table.

Great chapter.

Not sure why Tammy hasn’t lost it with Lizzie yet.

Hmm, Lizzie is like a little

Hmm, Lizzie is like a little girl in a candy store, and you just can't stay angry at them. ;-) There are at least 2 solutions to fix this: 1st: tell the store owner that she's banned; unfortunately girls like her'll find another candy store; :-p
2nd: use the "saturation" method; that means to feed her candies until they're coming out of her ears or she'll drop unconscious. >:->
At the moment, whenever Lizzie sees something with "Top secret" written on it it's like dangling a big fat live mouse in front of a hungry cat, therefore it's the perfect bait for Lizzie. And even simple new things (like the houses on Ram's Rock) seem to exert an irresistable, magical draw on Lizzie. It's like Lizzie was a cat in a former life.

It seems

To me, at least, that Tammy, along with the entire military and intelligence machine, is treating Lizzie exactly the way Tammy hates being treated. Mushroom management, and no adult enjoys that. Yes, Lizzie is socially inept and awkward, but she has never really had a life outside the military mindset. Tammy needs to set her down and read her in, as much as possible. Give her a real option rather than "because I said". There are parts of the backstory she is not cleared for and she should be told such. Even a simple explanation as to why she is getting flight training has been denied her. A simple explanation would ensure her desire to cooperate and do well. Hey, Lizzie. You have been forwarded to me and Broadsword. To make yourself marketable, useful, and under cover, you need to get all these licenses and upgrades to do the job they are trying to carve out for you. You may also be tasked with some other things here and there. You are in a different world now. Make yourself fit in or resign. The same might be said of Tammy. She still refuses to make an attempt to blend in. The Brit military also is set in concrete and has no way to work with her in the context dannigan and crew desire. At least Maisie is not as bad as she was at her start. She has adapted some, but still lags a bit behind.

Death sentence

> Dannigan's gaze shifted. "Captain."
Why do I have the feeling that that one word was a death sentence for a super bad guy? >:->

> John Smith had no answer. "That was unfortunate."
I think Tammy should send Danningan a dictionary which translates British understatement into American English as a gift. In this case Johns statement translates into: "I (and several others) fucked the pooch."

Thx for another nice chapter^^

technical jargon

Alecia Snowfall's picture

the Late but wonderfully humorous Lewis Grizzard spoke about translating technical jargon, specifically medical.
Doctor: You may feel some pressure. Translation: This will feel like being hit by a beer truck.
Doctor: This may sting a little. Translation: Look for a soft place to land a quarter mile away.
Doctor: You may experience some discomfort. Translation: You will scream for a mercy bullet.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Don't forget the classic:

Don't forget the classic: "This won't hurt one bit."
Translation: run for the hills. :-)

Yeah

You forgot one of the best. Take a deep breath, hold it, now push out like you are having a bm, while I shove this camera and cable up your butt. They used to do that while you were awake. Now they knock you out. It adds thousands to their billing, and they say it's so they can laser off little polyps they find. Trigger that laser in a pocket of methane gas, and watch the law suits fly. Now you don't know. But we know, it's just to shut us up.

The quiet before the storm

The concept of a hurricane came to mind. I thought it was winding down and going quiet. But really, they are just in the eye of the storm.

John Smith is now in the know about Tammy's real situation. That might make things easier, but it all depends if he keeps quiet about it.

If this trend of the Brits using Tammy and friends as scapegoats

Julia Miller's picture

continues, she may one day have to bug out of the UK using one of her escape plans. I hope it never comes to that, but these guys always suspect her first and try to arrest her. But I am glad her current difficulties have been addressed and all is safe in her life. But each time this happens and she is blamed, things keep getting a little worse for her. One day she may have to pull the trigger and leave for Ram's Head island for good. I hope she can take Maisie with her.

I do believe

Paul made it extremely clear to her, the Reno tickets were one way solo seats. She may set up something private for Maisie, but it can't be in the UK, or territories, nor the Bahamas as that would be the first place they checked.

Loose Ends- Indeed

More like some people on the loose will meet their ends- whether literally or professionally.

If Tammy didn't recognize the uniform, it is because "Major" Dannigan showed up in the uniform of his actual rank, which is that of a general (I believe he is a major general). It seems he is not best pleased with John Smith and neither is Sean MacTaggart nor Sir Thomas.

If Lizzie gets some effective operational security training and completes civilian flight training, she could have cover as a pilot for Smart Aviation.

I would love to know the reaction of the staff at Catterick Camp when they see Tammy and Maisie- in dress uniforms and with higher ranks- sporting ribbons (I do wonder what the specific awards were).

Finally, I'm looking forward to finding out how Tammy will address matters with her father and step-mother. I think her father will accept her choices and the risks she is taking but Joan will not.

Shiraz and Snowfall, as always you are making my day with this saga. thank you.

I joined the in-crowd

Tammy finally smiled. "I joined the in-crowd.”

Tammy finally knows where she stands and who her ultimate boss is and what her relationship with the UK Security Services is. It also lets John Smith know they can no longer use her and abandon her as they see fit to their own advantage as they have done in the past. If they do their is going to be one very irate American who plays very nasty indeed.
It may have been only one line, but you just know how much pleasure Sir Tomas’s words would have given Tammy. Maisie must be wondering once again just what has she got herself into.

Hopefully Lizzie will snap back into being an RAF officer and not a trainee bimbo once flight training starts. She is going to be very busy both day and night for some time. No time to get up to mischief while in Aberdeen. Be a good idea at week-ends if she had intense driving lessons to get her driving licence. That should keep her out of trouble on the week-ends too. She is an RAF Officer and has a good working brain in their which at the moment has gone haywire at Lizzie being finally let loose from the mental cage she has had to keep herself in, in the past. Finally she will able to be a productive member of Tammy’s team creating a kind of mini RamsRock base in the North of Scotland.

I would suggest Lizzie moves to the Premier Inn at Aberdeen Airport as its on the airport site and an eight minute walk to the training facilities. The Travel Lodge is across town and the breakfast is better!

Aberdeen Airport

shiraz's picture

There's a Travelodge at the airport now and it's on the side where the Air Training lot are situated (although I changed the name)

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Breakfast!

Yes, but the breakfast is still better! :)

Attention to real life details

WillowD's picture

I love the attention you give to real life details. One time when I was re-reading Tammyverse I looked up Thurso on Google Maps and started following the map as I read the stories. That was a blast. Once again, thank you for these stories.

And I am so glad that it looks like problems with a lack of clarity in her chain of command has been cleared up, her problems with the university will be clearing up and her problems with military deliveries arriving many days too late have been cleared up. Awesome.

I hope Ben Franklin comes back to the university as well.

And speaking of real life details...

Butterfly Racing Innovations, i.e. the gang from Ram's Rock will be on the Isle of Man for the motorcycle races in a few weeks (Easter 2018 was early April; the races began at the end of May). While Lyssa isn't operational, Roderick, Kerry, Kim, Carl and Pete certainly are. So OICA will have a heavy presence in the UK as Tammy and Maisie will be there as well. I predict that there will be an increase in accidental deaths and/ or homicides as well as mysterious disappearances to coincide with their visit to the UK (yes, I know Mann is a self governing Crown Dependency).

And I predict

WillowD's picture

that Guest Reader has guessed it correctly.

Saying Lyssa

Isn't operational is like saying a cobra has retired and put away it's fangs. "Operational" or not, disturb the snake and somebody will get bit.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

An excellent chapter

It appears a few people are finally seeing their place in the big scheme is not as high up as they thought. Setting them straight can only make Tammy's life easier. I do hope Lizzie can finally start to get a handle on things. Being lost and drifting does no good for anyone, much less her. Bad to hear about Maisie's dad, he got caught up in things way above his level and now has to get dumped on. Really sounds like Tammy needs to set down with some catalogs and get a new plane to have hers available when she needs one, or one that more suits her individual needs. You know, gun locker, room for parachutes, expanded luggage for gowns, uniforms, club wear, battle suit, boots,shoes,scuba stuff, etc. Rather have it and not need it, etc. Nicely coming together. Having HRH put a flea in someone's ear vcan come in very handy, nez pas?

New plane

Don't forget SAMs, AAMs, AGMs and a 30 mm gatling cannon. >:->

New plane

Don't forget AAMs, AGMs and a 30 mm gatling cannon. >:->

DANG

GOOD USED C-130S are so hard to find. What was it they used to use before specialized craft were designed? A DC-9? Are there any of those still flying? At their rate, she could use a good constellation?

E2 Hawkeye

Sounds like a US Navy surplus E2 Hawkeye might be just the thing for Tammy. Twin engine, good specs, proven track history. Gutting the EW gear would leave plenty of space for a comm pkg for Tammy plus large storage area for her "toys", as well as a bank of seats for the occasion passenger.

A Bell Long Ranger with some ordinance derived from the Apache would not go amiss either. They make them and the wonders of US military surplus could quickly put an "off the books" bird in Tammy's hands. This would give Lizzie a role in Tammy's group.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

For a "new" fixed wing an

For a "new" fixed wing an used Gulfstream IV might be a good idea (they cost as low as ~1.6 M$ and have a range of ~ 7800 km).

But,

Mil Surplus to a NATO power means no cash outlay. Free birds means just that, FREE. With Danigan doing the shopping, the ACs would be like showroom new. There is mil. surplus equipment that has been declared surplus the day it is received from the manufacturer.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

PROBLEM!

Tammy has no secure, secret place to keep any personal aircraft(s). (Armed or not) In order to maintain her civilian persona she can not be generally seen tearing around in fighter aircraft of any type.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth.

AAR

The Hawkeye

Wouldn't be armed, just another twin-engine transport AC. The Long Ranger would only mount the weapons systems when needed. They go on and come off quite easily. They would just be another couple of AC belonging to Smart Aviation.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Details, details...

WillowD's picture

You are spoiling our fun with reality checks. :)

I can see it now...

Krystal and Tammy discussing what will be the best choice for adding to the KT Flight inventory. After they decide, Krystal tells her "We don't have that model in stock- yet. But there's a cartel boss on our radar who does. Expect to see Diane in three weeks with your new (insert name/ model here)."

rephrase it

Alecia Snowfall's picture

the correct way it would be put to tammy is: We don't have one of those, but there is a Dude........"

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Could someone please sketch-out the conversation…

…with Richard Smart (and/or Joan) amd/or Jim from Smart Air about the justification for there to be two more aircraft situated at Smart Air for Tammy’s exclusive use, with possibly attachable armament, all-the-while keeping everything secret and secure???

AAR

Why?

Richard: Why do we need two more aircraft?

Tammy: WE don't. I do. I'll pay half the cost of that double-wide hanger Jim's been needing and store my aircraft in there. Maintenance will continue to be done in house under a cost plus contact and I'll pay for two added techs to specialise in my needs that will be available to Smart Aviation when not otherwise busy.

Richard: Sounds good.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Or better yet: "we know where

Or better yet: "we know where to get that model, but if you want it, you have to get on a 6 month intensive training course (snakes, spiders, sharks and all) so you can get it yourself. Because we're up to our gills in work." >:->

Nice!

Dannigan looked back. "Smart, you are now upgraded to: Standby, one-hour recall."

MacTaggart wiped his face with his hand. "Jesus, Mary and Joseph."

Tammy schooled her expression. "I have to be ready to deploy within an hour."

"He can't give you that kind of order! Doesn't he understand you work for me?" John almost shouted.

LMAO! Thank you both.

Oh yes.

WillowD's picture

I got serious giggles over that. I wonder if John Smith is going to smarten up or if he is going to be put somewhere safe were he can't cause major damage screwing things up.

reality check

Gibbs slap to the back of his head with a crow bar

Someone's shorts are full

Jamie Lee's picture

Lizzie, where to begin? She cannot be allowed to be in any secure agency, assignment, or anything else that needs kept in strict confidence. She asks too many questions she shouldn't ask. She's too eager to share with others she doesn't know. And most certainly, shouldn't be given any credit cards, since she's shown a penchion for excess spending.

Now that the ball is rolling, it finally comes out that infiltration had taken place right under the nose of security. Part which was to get Tammy out of the way.

Those in that room have dealt with Tammy in the past, and should know if she says something smells funny, that doesn't mean she wants an air freshener. Security fell down on the job because it was Tammy who made the call, and not those in security.

Why is it only MacTaggert seemed understood what Dannigan meant by what he told Tammy? Or Kimberly? Why has John Smith been left out in the cold, not knowing Tammy actually worked for Dannigan? Has Smith come under suspicion?

Wonder who finds Mr. Burgess first? MI5 or Rams Rock?

Others have feelings too.

Burgess

He may not know it, but captured by UK is preferable for him. If OICA tracks him down, either Lyssa or Stefanie will "interrogate" him and that is a most unpleasant prospect.

G/R

John Smith

John Smith knows as does the UK Secret Service that Tammy at times plays with Dannigan's group. A little while back he (I think it was him?) told Tammy that the Secret Service was not too happy about her involvement with them. Maybe deep inside the Secret Service they wonder where her true loyalty really rests. Queen and Country or US of A? But John Smith probably still thought that the Secret Service, then MacTaggert had first dibbs on their freelance Scottish agent, with the Americans just borrowing her occasionally to the Secret Services irritation.

John Smith

He wasn't told not because he was under suspicion, but because 1st: he didn't need to know (as Lyssa said: "they only start compartmentalizing when it becomes clear consequnces fall directly on them."); 2nd: Danningan either doesn't know him good enough to trust him with this kind of secret or he has a low opinion of him. Or he knows him good enough that he knows not to trust him with these secrets.
That's how Lyssa was burned by Alkowitz, because he knew when he didn't need to know.
I think Lyssa and her partners in crime will find Burgess first, because they have better cyber operatives than MI5 & MI6.

> "[...]Smart saw it but no

> "[...]Smart saw it but no-one believed her! No-one except myself and a few select intelligence operators."

Hmm, maybe Tammy should change her name to Cassandra? ;-)

John Smith is definitely under scrutiny

Whether he becomes a suspect remains to be seen. Sir Thomas' rather pointed remarks at the end of the chapter indicate that he will be the subject of an uncomfortable investigation.

My money is on Ram's Rock finding Burgess first and, while Tammy doesn't have the mindset to be an assassin, she certainly may be sent in as part of the team to take him into custody. Whether he survives his arrest is another matter.

Lizzie is a walking, talking, unthinking, immature disaster. On a scale of 1-10, she is somewhere between Angela and Suzie. Perhaps she will improve with training and the progression of her transition, perhaps not. But Tammy grows personally and professionally as she resolves challenges- whatever the outcome.