Royal Retreat Part 4: Island Life

Printer-friendly version
Royal Retreat  

Tammyverse Book 13
 

 

Royal Retreat
Part 4
Island Life
Shiraz & Snowfall

 

 
Please note this is a work of fiction and any references to real people, real institutions or real heavily armed military units are for artistic purposes only!

 
Friday 16 March 2018
 

It had only been six months since Tammy’s last flight into Miami International and she could easily remember the way from the plane to the arrivals area but needn’t have bothered as the jumbo’s herd of passengers was heading that way regardless.

Despite this she couldn’t resist a “follow me” to her small entourage, encouraging Maisie and Lizzie to keep close on the way to the baggage reclaim carousels. They collected their luggage without any issues and proceeded to the Passport Control. Tammy was first in line, figuring she’d deal with any problems herself.

"Passport please."

Tammy handed it over along with her other documents. "Certainly."

The immigration agent checked her passport, finding her B1/B2 visa. "Business or pleasure?"

"Both, I have some meetings and I intend to have downtime as well."

"Duration of stay?"

"Nineteen days but heading to Freeport during my stay with my two colleagues."

The agent typed as she answered then consulted her paperwork and typed more.

"Do you have anything to declare?"

"No, sir."

He stamped her passport and handed it back. "Enjoy your time in the United States Miss Smart."

"Thank you." Tammy replied and went past.

Lizzie was waved forward and was processed followed by Maisie. They met up some distance away.

"What now?" Maisie asked.

Tammy looked around then nodded. "This way."

Leaning next to an empty kiosk was a familiar figure. When they approached Tammy shook her head with a broad smile.

"You are definitely not that, Carl." Tammy giggled.

Carl smirked. "I'm not?"

Tammy pointed to sign he was holding. In big letters the word SMART was written, but he was holding it upside-down. He looked down at it.

"Looks fine to me." Carl grinned then turned. "C'mon girls, your express ride's waiting."

Minutes later they exited the private terminal side and a Lear sat waiting on the tarmac. The luggage was loaded then all four climbed inside.

"I got the girls, Piper. Spin 'em up!" Carl called forward while closing up the door.

The engines spun one by one and soon they were on a taxiway ready for take off.

"Ladies and goofball, this is your pilot Pete aka Piper speaking. We are currently outbound of U.S. Territorial airspace headed for the magnificent Bermuda Triangle and points stranger. Feel free to move about the cabin at your own risk, I might get the sudden urge to invert the aircraft because it's cool do to it. Welcome aboard Miracle Travelways; the service that reminds you to thank God, or your favorite deity, should we get where we're going safely. Enjoy your flight!" Pete announced.

Carl howled in response and turned on music; American Classic rock, kicking off with Grand Funk Railroad.

Tammy groaned at the reference. “Damn you Carl!”

Lizzie looked over at Tammy and Maisie. "Are they serious?"

"I'd fasten my seatbelt, tight, as if your lives depended on it!" Tammy smirked and picked up a magazine.

Two snaps of buckles immediately followed, just before the wheels lifted, sharply, off the runway. The music soon segued into Green River and Tammy relaxed, noting that Lizzie had fallen asleep not long after they were airborne.

It was barely half an hour later when the plane lost altitude fast.

"Everybody hang on to somethin', we're on final." Pete announced.

Lizzie woke in a start and gripped her armrest after checking her seatbelt. "Oh god, he’s insane!"

Tammy did her best to not laugh as the plane levelled off and set down on the runway with barely a bump.

"I’m sure he did that just to wind us up?" Maisie groaned.

The plane stopped then turned around to taxi back to the hangars and, finally, stop.

"Wow! We made it and didn't explode this time!" Carl called out and gave Tammy a thumb's up.

Tammy released her seatbelt. "He didn’t even take the plane for a swim. Good job!"

"I heard that!" Pete called back.

Carl laughed and opened the door. "Okay Ladies. Bail out."

Carl stood at the bottom of the steps and offered his hand as they stepped down.

"Head on in. I'll bring your gear." Carl said.

Tammy nodded. "Thanks Carl. THANKS FOR THE RIDE, PETE."

"YOU'RE WELCOME."

Tammy turned toward the middle hangar. "This way."

Maisie and Lizzie followed but were looking all around in wonder. Inside the hangar Tammy smiled as Kimberly approached.

"Afternoon, Ladies." Kimberly greeted them.

Tammy and Maisie replied quickly. "Good afternoon Ma'am." Lizzie caught on a split second later and added her own greeting.

Kimberly consulted the clipboard in her hand and looked to Maisie. "Maisie Staines."

"Ma'am." Maisie answered.

Kimberly then looked over to Lizzie. "Elizabeth Harrison."

Lizzie nodded back. "Yes Ma'am."

"The two of you will catch a hop in the morning into Freeport for a stay with Elegant Executive. Staines, you'll be spending the following four days in one-on-one training with Bella Falconi. Harrison; you'll be in classes with Connie, Theresa, Harper and Aaron. Connie is a Public Relations consultant, Theresa is Business relation consultant, Harper is a fashion consultant specializing in Europe and Aaron is a cosmetologist specializing in cosmetics. They'll teach you how to look, what to look for, how to act and how to keep yourself together. You'll both be staying at the Bell Channel Inn, but not sharing a room." Kimberly read off the page.

Tammy asked. "Will she get the manuals and DVDS?"

"Both she and Maisie get complete sets. They'll be sent to your office if that's okay. Everything's already paid for." Kimberly answered.

Maisie realized what they were talking about. "You mean all those books and discs about clothes, fitness and office things?"

Kimberly nodded. "Correct. Oh, you'll spend half a day with Chloe. She'll teach you more about the business side of personal training."

"Thank you Ma'am."

Kimberly led them outside. "Now listen. For your safety; Number One, south of the runway is a range. When there’s a red flag visible then the range is Live. Number Two; the residences on the island are private, do not enter without permission. And Three: that is not a pet."

All eyes looked to where Kimberly pointed and saw a black dog. "That's Warlock, he's a military K-9. If he growls at you, stop and back away. You're in an area not allowed. You can't command him, so don't even try. Follow me."

Kimberly led them to three trailers between the main hangar and the first. "Tammy and Maisie are in this trailer tonight. Elizabeth, you're in that one. They're stocked with food so you can look after yourselves tonight. You have the rest of the day to yourselves. Maisie and Elizabeth, report to the hangar with your luggage at zero-seven for your hop. Tammy, report at four-fifty-five for PT. That's it. Welcome to Ram's Rock."

"Ma'am. Who are you?" Lizzie asked.

"Kimberly Lando. I'm in charge of Logistics here. Any other questions?"

Maisie asked. "May I join Tammy in the morning?"

"You may, but you will not be in charge and will follow instruction just the same." Kimberly cautioned.

"Yes, Ma'am."

Kimberly nodded. "I suggest you rest and have chow in a couple of hours. That'll be all until morning."

-o-

Maisie stifled her yawn as she and Tammy walked over to the main hangar in the dark morning. Tammy smiled at the woman and bicycles waiting for them.

"Morning." Tammy greeted.

Krystel smiled back. "Morning my two masochists. Let's get the bikes ready and we'll get to it."

Tammy walked over to the one that looked like the one she had ridden previously and had the seat ready for her. Maisie stood next to the other bike and had the seat adjusted for her. The three mounted the bikes and Krystel looked back.

"The runway is a mile long. We'll start with eight miles on the bikes, six running then we hit the water." Krystel informed them.

Maisie asked. "How far in the water?"

"Only four." Krystel smiled.

Maisie remarked. "That doesn't sound bad."

Tammy wanted to groan. She knew immediately that Krystel had said four miles, but didn't say that it would be with the current. More than likely, they would be swimming against it.

Krystel pushed off and Tammy and Maisie followed. She took half of a mile at a moderate speed then called on them to speed up. Soon they were going as fast as Tammy and Maisie could push themselves. On the eighth mile they coasted to stop in front of the hangar to dismount then started running. Maisie decided she should show that she could push the pace and moved to pass Krystel. A moment later she was passed in turn and saw a gap widening. Quickly she understood the woman ahead of them could leave them behind without a problem. That's when it also dawned on her that Tammy was being evaluated on her fitness and Maisie by proxy. Any of the cheating and slacking that had been done was about to be discovered.

"Oh no." Maisie muttered after they had stopped for the sixth mile and saw Tammy and the woman removing their shoes.

Tammy pulled off her shoes. "Just figured out we have to run a quarter of a mile to the water?"

"This concrete will hurt our feet." Maisie nodded.

Tammy followed Krystel across the runway to the other side, calling back. "We'll run down the sand to get there!"

As fast as she could, Tammy followed Krystel to the cove then dove over the breakers to swim out. Around the point the current swept them along the shore. A mile and half they swam strong and fast with the current then followed the shore East. Turning North Tammy knew instantly she had been correct. The current was now against the swimmers for the remaining two and half miles. This would be new for Maisie. Using her knowledge from before Tammy kept her strokes and kicks steady, using her whole body. Maisie on the other hand, so accustomed to swimming in a pool, had to struggle against the ocean's ways. Tammy was quite a distance back when she saw Krystel turn to shore. Tammy body-surfed the breakers to the beach and sloshed out of the water. She chose to wait for Maisie so she would know where to come in.

"HERE! COME ON MAISIE, PUSH!" Tammy called out when Maisie was close.

As Maisie approached the beach, Tammy finally turned and ran toward the hangars. When she reached Krystel she huffed to catch her breath.

"I had to wait for her." Tammy explained.

Krystel nodded. "I know."

"I'll go ahead and admit to not keeping to the plans you gave me." Tammy confessed.

"I'm going to mess with her. I'll go after her weakness. Just play along, I'm just screwing with her." Krystel warned.

Tammy nodded. "Just remember I sleep with her."

Maisie finally arrived and caught her breath.

"Well that was a start. Moving on." Krystel announced. "Grab a couple of chutes and we'll get in a jump or two."

Tammy nodded. "Okay."

"Jumps? Chutes?" Maisie asked. "You don't mean parachutes and jumping out of a plane?"

Krystel nodded. "Of course. We can get in at least two before you go. Tammy has standards to adhere to. So far it seems she hasn't been. As you wanted to join this morning, get ready. Our first jump will be fifteen thousand feet."

Maisie looked to Tammy, which she replied. "I've jumped from that height before."

"I'd....rather not." Maisie shook her head.

Krystel tilted her head. "Why?"

"I'm afraid of heights." Maisie admitted.

"You both think the diet and fitness standards aren't important. That is wrong and now the tab is due. Tammy has to get to where she is supposed to be. You understand this; that the standards she agreed to aren't being met and measures must be taken to rectify?" Krystel asked pointedly.

"Yes Ma'am." Maisie answered.

Krystel asked. "Standards are going to apply, yes?"

"Yes, Ma'am." Maisie answered.

Krystel looked over to Tammy. "Yes?"

"Aye, Ma'am." Tammy answered, remembering that Krystel had been in the Navy.

"Shower and chow. Report at zero-seven with Ms Harrison. Dismissed." Krystel ordered then turned away.

Maisie blinked then turned to Tammy. "What just happened?"

"I was just reminded of what I am supposed to be doing and there is a price to pay if I do not." Tammy replied.

"What about the parachutes?" Maisie asked.

Tammy shook her head. "That was to get your attention. Come on, we need to get ready for the day."

-o-

Lizzie had disappeared with Krystel after breakfast and had been gone for half an hour before being spotted dashing to her cabin to collect her luggage. Finally she met up with Tammy and Maisie in front of the main hangar; she had just two bags, one drag-along and one over her shoulder. Tammy spotted a box, perhaps the size of an iPad, pressing against the side of Lizzie’s wheeled case.

“So that’s what you’ve been issued?”

“Sorry, Tammy, no! I was warned.”

The Bell helicopter sat in front, waiting for a pilot. Kimberly walked out with a man in black full flight gear with helmet and a little girl in a soccer uniform carrying a sport bag. The pilot began checking over the helicopter.

"Isn't he a bit over-dressed?" Lizzie asked.

"Your attention." Kimberly addressed them and when focused on her she instructed them. "BlackStar will drop you off at the airport in Freeport. Your passports will be stamped at the business terminal.

"Jennifer from Elegant Executive will meet and take you to Bell Channel; she'll get you checked in and itinerary lined out. All your expenses have been paid including meals in the hotel and so on. Outside the hotel, you're responsible for yourself."

"Will there be other people there, for this service?" Maisie asked.

Kimberly nodded. "Yes, there are. You will mingle with them during the meals. Maisie, you are described as a personal trainer in Scotland. Nothing more. In fact, when you go back home, you will be added to the database. don't be afraid to talk about your trainer business. Elizabeth, you have just recently joined a British LGBTQ+ awareness group called Young Open Professionals Alliance, YOPA. You report to Madelynn Carter, in London. Here's her card. You haven't been given cards yet and you don't have much information about the Alliance as it's all new. You're a glorified gopher."

Lizzie blinked. "A what?"

"It means you do whatever needs doing. You don't have an actual fixed job." Tammy explained.

Kimberly nodded. "Fetch coffee, answer phones, mail bundles of letters, take out trash. The like."

That much, Lizzie understood. "Yes Ma'am."

"You have your orders, carry them out." Kimberly said as the helicopter started up and waved to the girl inside who waved back.

Maisie gave Tammy a quick kiss then she and Lizzie boarded the Bell and soon took off, heading North-East.

Tammy turned and saluted "Captain."

Kimberly finally cracked a grin. "Welcome back, Tammy."

"Good to be back, Dame Kimberly." Tammy smiled back.

Kimberly rolled her eyes. "Wise-ass. Go get your gear and head to Krystel's. You have a range in twenty minutes."

Tammy nodded and went back to the trailer. She gathered up her luggage and took them to Krystel's cottage. A quick knock and she entered.

"There she is." Krystel smirked at her.

Tammy set her suitcases down. "Ha ha, Krystel. You really had Maisie going. She was convinced you were going to throw her out of a plane."

"You get cheat days, Tammy, NOT weeks. I can understand some easing up on PT due to weather, but you should be in better condition than you are. When you leave here, again you will be better than when you came. Understood?" Krystel asked.

Tammy nodded and gave a British salute. "Aye, aye, Ma'am! Hey, what went on with Lizzie?"

“She’s trialling some new comms kit, but I shouldn’t have to remind you of your own words?”

“Operational security?”

"Correct, you’ll be told when you need to know! Go get changed. It's time to knock the rust off your shooting skills." Krystel said with a big smile.

Tammy happily put on her battle-suit and boots then even painted her face in the pattern she learned from Tiffany. Krystel nodded in approval and led the way.

Improvement came slowly, mostly due to Tammy shedding her stress in the kill-house – an irony of the highest order. For no reason at all she found herself rubbing her shoulder, the site of a previous injury, as she returned to the daylight after a final successful exercise.

“Bra strap rubbin’?”

“No, I was caught by a live round on an exercise a couple of years back, just a flesh wound, but being in there reminded me and I got an itch.”

“However you didn’t rub it and lose focus whilst in there?”

“No.”

“Good girl, go shower!”

-o-

Monday morning, after PT, Tammy was towelling her hair when she heard a urgent beeping noise then Krystel's voice from an adjacent space.

"Go ahead."

Kim's voice was then heard. "You're needed."

"I just got out of the shower. Tammy's still getting ready." Krystel replied.

"I'll figure something out for her." Kimberly answered then added. "You've been authorized for immediate Digital Deployment. Report to the Bell."

Krystel knocked on Tammy's door. "Tammy, dress in shorts and a top then see Kim. I just got busy."

"Understood." Tammy called back and finished getting dressed.

After seeing to her breakfast, Tammy went to the main hangar and found Kimberly coming from the conference room. They met at the coffee station.

"Sorry Tammy, your schedule has to be adjusted." Kimberly stated.

Tammy carefully sipped the coffee and found it good. "The work goes on. Who made this?"

"I did." Kimberly grinned then sighed. "You're correct; the work does go on. Krystel will be occupied for at least the next thirty-six hours. Lyssa will train you today."

"Oh? Should I change?"

Kimberly shook her head. "No. This will be physical training of some kind, you're fine for that. Go ahead to her house."

Tammy left heading for Lyssa and Rodrick's house, finishing her coffee along the way. Inside she tossed the empty cup into a nearby trashcan then met Lyssa on the back patio. Lyssa was also wearing shorts and a tank shirt.

"Morning Lyssa." Tammy greeted.

Lyssa nodded. "Yes it is and yours will now begin."

Tammy noticed the sticks in Lyssa's hands. "With those?"

"Last year, Krystel taught you some Muay Thai and Jui Jitsu with a little KFM mixed in. Today I'll be teaching you Kali. Have you ever heard of it?

Tammy shook her head. "Sorry, no."

Lyssa explained. "Kali is a Filipino fighting style. It's also called Escrima and Arnis. Many famous fighters have learned it. Bruce and Brandon Lee, Jeff Speakman, Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker, Aaron Eckhart, Matt Damon, Vin Diesel, Tom Cruise, Wesley Snipes, Jet Li and Stephen Amell to name the most well known."

"Wow. That is a lot of famous names." Tammy replied.

Lyssa smiled. "It's also a backwards art. Most martial arts teach you unarmed first then weapons. Kali is the opposite. You learn the weapon form first then unarmed. The reason for this is because the weapons-form is easier and occupies most of the unarmed-form. The weapon form can be used with any hand held weapon. Sticks can translate into blades. Follow me so far?"

"So if I learn this Kali, I can use it many ways? A multi-function fighting style?" Tammy guessed.

"Correct. Remember I told you to change your mentality? Not 'what is a weapon and what is not, but what can I use as a weapon and how?' Kali uses that mentality." Lyssa stated. "Let us begin."

Tammy took a pair of the sticks, that turned out to be a pair of hard plastic tubes. Slowly she learned the techniques, gradually increasing the speed. Thirty minutes of the exercises, a five minute water and correction break then back to the exercises. This went on for three hours then Lyssa pointed at a heavy bag.

"That's your enemy, go full out." Lyssa said.

Tammy approached the bag then attacked. She pummelled the bag for five minutes then began to slow down. Four minutes later she was out of breath and backed away.

"You'll feel that later." Lyssa smirked.

Tammy sighed. "Should I have paced myself?"

Lyssa shook her head. "No. You did exactly as you should've - you hit hard, hit fast and hit more until they're down and don't get back up. Take break. Stretch your arms and shoulders."

Tammy did so as Lyssa went over to a small soft fenced area and tossed toys the twins had been throwing out back in, to their laughter. After ten minutes Lyssa brought over two sets of pads and helped Tammy put on a set then donned her own. The plastic batons were switched for pairs that were covered with foam.

"Oh dear Lord, I'm going to regret this." Tammy laughed to herself.

Lyssa nodded. "You have no idea, yet. Begin."

Tammy did learn. It only took a couple minutes for her to discover that she could hit Lyssa only if she allowed Tammy to. In return the girl would be rewarded with several lightning fast counter-strikes. Finally Lyssa waved her off.

"I believe you've had enough." Lyssa said.

Tammy sat down panting. "Me too. I also believe this is where I thank you for the padding and soft batons."

"You're tired, rest a bit. Tomorrow you'll be sore, that's better than being bruised and swollen for a month and half. It's a small price for a valuable lesson; time for lunch." Lyssa remarked.

After lunch the lessons continued with a change.

"What you're going to learn now is called Worden style. This fits in with what you've learned from me so far. The theme of what can I use as a weapon and how. What is the hardest thing you can hit somebody with?" Lyssa asked.

Tammy thought then answered. "A steel tool."

Lyssa replied. "Those are hard, yes. But how about a building? Or a street? Bathroom sink. Toilet."

"I can't pick those things up and hit somebody with them!" Tammy laughed.

Lyssa smirked. "Who said you had to pick them up? There's a way to beat someone to hell and gone with things you see. The world around you can be your arsenal, Tammy. Time to learn how to use it."

"Oh no. I'm done for now." Tammy groaned as Lyssa smiled.

For the next hour she learned what Lyssa meant; by being thrown, rammed and catapulted into training bags and pads, on the ground and standing up to simulate walls. With that came the knowledge of not only how one fought, but also where could mean the difference between walking away or being carried. It seemed that restrooms were a very dangerous place.

"Thank you for the pads instead of the real things." Tammy said sitting down.

Lyssa chuckled. "There's the world around you and the world around you. They only look the same. Now you're learning that they aren't."

"Krystel said that before. I really get it now."

Lyssa sat down. "I hear you're having some problems. What's the biggest one right now?"

"I guess Uni. Right now I'm suspended. Rumours are flying around that I'm sleeping with my teacher. My criminology teacher is a former police officer and old friend. He's bound by the Official Secrets Act so he can't talk to anyone what he knows about me, but for some reason people are claiming that we're having an affair." Tammy explained.

Lyssa looked at her intently. "Talk is talk. Means nothing."

"Well it's gotten to the point that the vice-chancellor has suspended me." Tammy said looking at the grass.

Lyssa whistled, making Tammy's head snap up to look at her. "And what does he HAVE?"

"Nothing?" Tammy replied.

Lyssa stared at her. "What does anybody have?"

"Nothing?" Tammy answered.

"And you're fine with that? Suspended for nothing." Lyssa asked.

Tammy shook her head. "No. What do I do?"

"You fight. Call them out. Demand evidence and when they can't produce it, tear them to ribbons." Lyssa said coldly. "The world is not a nice place. Life is not fair. If you bow down, you will be stomped into the ground. Hold your head high, stare them in the eyes and challenge them. Don't flinch, don't back down. Crowd them. Get in their space. Make them back away. Deniability and damage control."

"Become, and remove all doubt." Tammy repeated a mantra from before.

"Rule number one: Admit nothing, deny everything and invent counter-accusations." Lyssa told her.

Tammy nodded. "Okay. What's rule two?"

"Rule number two: it is useless to apply the brakes when the vehicle is upside down." Lyssa grinned.

Tammy finally broke and laughed.

"Come on, you can help with dinner." Lyssa said then got up.

Tammy followed as Lyssa collected the twins before going inside.

-o-

Tammy had slept well, although she had been on her own for a second night. She felt refreshed and ready for action but declined to mention this to Lyssa in front of the hangars at five on Tuesday morning.

"Morning." Lyssa greeted, astride a racing bicycle.

Tammy nodded back as she mounted her bike. "Morning."

"Let's get to it." Lyssa said then pushed off.

Tammy followed without a word. When they began an extra lap of the runway, Tammy knew she was in for a hard morning, despite her overnight recovery. True enough, Lyssa added another mile of the run as well then increased the swim. Tammy crossed the line scuffed in the sand and panted to catch her breath.

"Was that another mile for the swim?" Tammy asked.

Lyssa shook her head. "Just a half."

"Oh, against the current." Tammy remembered.

Lyssa nodded back. "That's right."

They did cool-down exercises then began to head in.

"Shower and chow. Dress for classroom today and meet me in the main hangar." Lyssa instructed.

An hour later, Tammy entered the hangar, wearing a skirt and top set with high heel sandals. Carl seemed to be in charge of the twins, as he was watching them chase each other around a golf cart. Tammy helped herself from the coffee service and sipped. It seemed to be gritty this time.

"Bloody hell. Who did this?" Tammy asked aloud.

Carl looked over. "Me. Why?"

Tammy shook her head. "Since when is coffee supposed to be crunchy, Carl?"

"It's fine to me." Carl replied then yelled. "HEY; GET AWAY FROM THERE, MUTT!"

Tammy looked over and saw Warlock with a hind leg hiked, next to several pallets. The pallets looked to be made up of white bricks. Tammy looked intently then shook her head with a snort of laughter.

"What?" Carl asked.

Tammy chuckled. "Seeing all that, for a minute I thought it might be something bad."

"Oh. Nah, it's just four tons of flake." Carl replied and acted like he was lunging toward Alex, who giggled and ran back towards the golf-cart.

"Flake?" Tammy asked.

"Flake. You know; Peruvian marching powder, Bolivian boogie dust, Colombian party favors, White Horse, the devil's dandruff." Carl listed.

Tammy was even more confused now. "What?"

Carl rolled his eyes. "Coke. Cocaine."

Tammy had sipped her coffee and choked on it. "WHAT? Why is there cocaine there?"

"Gotta put it somewhere. Can't leave it outside. The seagulls will shit all over it. Warlock keeps trying to piss on it. HEY! GET AWAY FROM IT!" Carl yelled.

Tammy almost shouted. "CARL."

"What?"

"WHY the bloody hell is the cocaine here in the first place, Carl?" Tammy asked.

"OH!" Carl now understood what she meant. "Uh. Well, there was this dude."

"Dude?"

Carl nods. "Yeah. There's always a dude; back to the story. So this dude hires the Boss to fly a load for him. We get there and they just start bringing it out of trucks and putting it on the plane. Boss-dude's like, 'so you want me to fly all this flake into the States for you?' and he goes, 'of course' and starts laughing. Boss says 'I'm not diggin it, get it off my plane.' Dude pulls a pistol 'no choice, cabron.' It went downhill from there."

"What is 'cabron' and define: downhill." Tammy commented.

"Cabron is Spanish for asshole." Carl caught one of the twins, Alison and swung her over to drape over his shoulder. "Boss snatches the gun out of the guy's hand, shoots three of his hard-boys then him. Pete charges out with a rifle and goes to work. When it was all over, we got stuck with these pallets of shit, with no owner."

"Right. That's why you said 'there was a dude'." Tammy replied then asked. "And just what are you going to do with it?"

Carl thought for minute than gave a hopeful look. "Serious party?"

Tammy face-palmed.

"Just kidding. We're waiting for the paperwork from the DEA then they'll take to the States for them to use for busts." Carl laughed.

"WARLOCK, nein! Kommen!" Lyssa called out from the doors then looked to Tammy. "You too."

Tammy joined Lyssa as the tactical dog followed them both out. Lyssa led to a trailer between the main and third hangar and went in. Tammy noticed it was set up with tables, desks, computers and dry-erase boards, like an actual classroom. Warlock began sniffing around the room. He didn't like one of the tables full of items in canisters.

"Today's class; combat chemistry. You'll learn how to make things that will aid you in the field. Cutting, melting and destroying." Lyssa explained.

Tammy asked. "You mean IEDs?"

"That will be part of the lesson, yes." Lyssa stated then began to write on the white-board.

For the first hour, Tammy learned about acids. How to find them, make them and work with them. During the second hour Tammy learned about incendiaries. Tammy now understood why this was being called combat chemistry. Lyssa was using components one could commonly find in general, grocery and home improvement stores to make almost military-grade applications. Including smoke grenades of various colours. The third hour began with Warlock being sent out. This class would be about improvised munitions, which he would not ignore. By the end of the class, Tammy wondered why random explosions didn't happen hourly. She could make eight different types of explosives and turn them into either demolition charges or anti-personnel and anti-equipment weapons.

"I'll never walk through a Tesco or Aldi the same way again." Tammy commented.

Lyssa shrugged. "Rodrick complains that he can't take me anywhere. No idea why."

Tammy had to giggle at the comment. With that, they went to lunch.

That afternoon Tammy did finally get some jump-training. This time it included GPS guided descents to various points on the island. She felt lucky that only one involved getting hung up in a tree, until she checked her GPS. It had been intentional.

On the ground, Lyssa explained that sometimes it was needed as the ground was patrolled or simply unsafe to land on it. The most difficult landing was atop Lyssa's house. Tammy was slow to collapse her chute and was almost dragged over the edge.

That night saw the return of Krystel, who immediately went to bed after dinner, any questions Tammy may have had would wait, although she might never get an answer.

-o-

Tammy’s PT on Wednesday morning returned to the earlier arrangement with Krystal but now Tammy found the time to check Krystel’s technique as the pair relaxed into the workout. It finally dawned on Tammy who had trained Krystel and Tiffany plus how Lyssa hadn’t needed to prove anything to anyone.

She made a mental note, not certain if that realisation was worth anything.

"So." Krystel asked from across their breakfast table.

Tammy looked up. "What?"

"Something's got your panties in a bunch." Krystel commented.

Tammy drank some juice then replied. "We say 'knickers in a twist' back home."

"Heard that. So what's got yours that way?" Krystel asked.

Tammy sat back. "My university course is a concern, it’s in hand although Lyssa gave me advice about that. Meanwhile the Security Service aren't liking me working the way I am now."

"Do they know what you're into?" Krystel munched a muffin.

Tammy shook her head. "They simply know what can't be hidden. A 'rogue agency with heavy weaponry' was the phrase they used."

"Don't sweat it." Krystel replied. "Anything else?"

"Marcus still tends to be an arse."

"That's a permanent condition. He works for MacTaggart, you do too, after a fashion." Krystel stated. "You may never outrank him, so you might have to assert yourself another way."

Tammy leaned forward. "Assert?"

"Beat the ever-loving dog shit out of him." Krystel said flatly.

"Never get away with it." Tammy denied.

Krystel gave her an evil grin. "Sure you can. It's called 'training'."

"You lost me completely." Tammy sighed then snapped back up. "WAIT. Last time I did anything physical, I got stuck on a range collecting spent casings, at your recommendation."

Krystel wagged her finger. "Nuh-uh. Last time you won and got away with it. You ate one Kyle Fielding for brunch and got cheered on."

Tammy giggled. "I forgot about that."

"Get him in a training scenario and kick his ass." Krystel said. "He's trained in Boxing, Judo, Aikido and Krav Maga. You use Muay Thai to counter the boxing, jui jitsu to counter the Judo. Aikido is easy to counter, don't charge him. It's all about deflection, so make him come to you. Krav Maga is harder to counter. You'll have to combine arts, including the KFM techniques I taught you and the Kali/Worden Lyssa taught you. You can win, but it'll cost you."

"I'll get hurt, but I could come out on top?" Tammy asked.

Krystel nodded. "Pain won't bother him as much as you. He'll understand quick that it's what you want to do and respond. Make up your mind to accept it and go in with determination. If you give a little, then it's all for nothing and you lose."

Tammy looked at her bowl of fruit and sighed. "Would be better if there was another way."

"There isn't. Tammy." Krystel replied and when Tammy looked up she gave her a firm look. "You will never be equals, so get that out of your head, now. So since you will never be equals, you must be respected on a different level. You want that respect; you're going to have to take it by force. It's the only way it works, and that he does understand. As Yoda told Luke; Do, or do not. There is no try."

"Alright. So what am I doing today?" Tammy asked.

Krystel finished the muffin. "You're with Kim this morning and Lyssa this afternoon. I have some clean up work to finish."

"How bad was it?" Tammy asked.

"Some people just don't get it. Self-appointed do-gooders actually do more harm than they understand. If they would join a country's service and protect the freedoms they have instead of trying to undermine other countries, it wouldn't be such a problem. But they don't. They want to wear capes, a symbol on their chest and have books and movies made about them. For 'smart people' they are really quite stupid. Organized assholes are a pain the ass. Keep that in mind." Krystel explained, without disclosing one drop of an actual response.

With that, breakfast was over. Tammy spent the morning with Kimberly going over technical matters and protocols. After lunch Tammy found herself with Lyssa, rappelling down the sides of the hangars then from a helicopter flown by Pete. The last hour before dinner she was rappelling down in front of the killhouse and going through it using two pistols.

Tomorrow would see the return of Maisie, Elizabeth and the arrival of the advance party. From then on her Ram’s Rock training activities would have to be disguised.

It didn’t help that she’d had no communication from Sean MacTaggart, Jeremy Wells or anyone else. That meant that she knew nothing about the personnel of the advance party, so had to plan for the worse.

{Continues}

Tammy Spycraft is a reworking of Moving On and is now available on Kindle. Tammy's increasingly unhappy with the Security Service and Suzie's just plain bored. Tammy needs a change of direction and Suzie needs to get back to a proper job.
Larry a bullied sophomore in High School finds two new friends in his Home Ec. class. Together the boy and two girls design costumes in anime maid style and provide treats for a booth at the mall. The trio discover a real knack for treat-making and win over not only their school, but also the town in a sweet coming of age story.
up
348 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

using the environment as a weapon

fantastic. I learned something, even if I really hope I never need to use it in real life.

DogSig.png

Bathrooms

If you ever saw Terminator 2: Judgment Day then you know how they can be "used" to make your opponent "trip" into sinks, urinals and toilets, Terminatrix style. >:->

Bathrooms

If you ever saw Terminator 2: Judgment Day then you know how they can be "used" to make your opponent "trip" into sinks, urinals and toilets, Terminatrix style. >:->

Another great chapter

gillian1968's picture

I’m not really into martial arts, but it’s fun reading about it. I did take one class of judo way back in college.

Swimming is more my thing, although I mostly stick to jogging these days.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Gillian Cairns

Love it, love it etc. etc. etc.

Thanks Shiraz

Had to get a little Yule Brenner in there in the title. Tammy vs. Wade, hmmmm that could very well be EPIC.

I’m looking foreward to more exciting Tammy.

An Avid Reader

Authoring

shiraz's picture

Thank you but please remember that Snowfall and myself jointly produce this tale - we both contribute to each chapter

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Apologies to Alecia

Sorry to have forgotten to show gratitude for your input. ESPECIALLY since this chapter mostly takes place in YOUR bailiwick.

An Avid Reader

Woo hoo.

WillowD's picture

I really love the way this story is building up. We learned a lot of preliminary stuff this chapter and should learn a lot more in the next one. Thank you Shiraz and Snowfall.

It's nice seeing Frills up there. It's been at least half a year since I last read it.

Invisible Weapons

If the TSA and others really cared about safety, we would have to be naked on airplanes, in court and virtually every other place with a metal detector at the door. Then, all surfaces would have to be soft and padded.

Just don't think about it very much and everything is fine. Ignorance really is bliss sometimes.

I am curious about Tammy though...

Julia Miller's picture

I recall in Alecia's Lyssa Kordonay story "Invoking Demon Wraiths", they talked about a hormone they named Vionomine. Lyssa was one in 35 million that produced this hormone under stress instead of Adrenaline. Have they tested Tammy for this hormone? I understand that they think some of the other women on Ram Rock may also have this hormone. I am wondering if this is the reason that they are so interested in Tammy since if she produces this hormone under stress, it could explain many things.

I just did a search

WillowD's picture

"Vionomine" is only mentioned once in The Chrysalis Project or The Lyssa Kordenay Missions. Since the odds of anyone having it is so low I think it's likely that they don't normally test for it. However, I can see Major Dannigan having all of his people tested for it, including Tammy. But I don't remember Tammy having any bloodwork or comprehensive testing done while she was on the island.

I am personally guessing that she hasn't been tested. I think Dannigan got interested in her simply because she performs incredibly well under stress, especially considering she didn't have the military background.

I know the hormone is fictional, but

Julia Miller's picture

I would love to see Tammy tested. There seems to be more to this girl than meets the eye. Maybe she does, probably not but it would add a new dimension to the story if she were found to produce it.

Disguise training

Disguising the martial arts training is easy: work inside Lyssa's house, and if anyone asks what they're doing all day long then Tammy can tell everyone thay Lyssa is teaching her "ballet". >:->
Now the "training" against Marcus could become interesting. But will that pop his galactically inflated ego? We'll see.

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Basic Explosives

joannebarbarella's picture

Are really easy. A hardware store and a service station can provide everything one needs. Everyday items in a supermarket will also suffice. It's just as well that most law-abiding citizens didn't pay too much attention to their chemistry lessons at school.

A Clue Of What, Perchance Is To Come...

All of the Tammyverse series have themed artwork for each book, that is somehow relevant to the tale. Since the collaboration with Snowfall began, the various series have CD/ DVD like artwork; a Christmas Theme for Deja Flew and the helicopter in In A Spin, etc. In Shakespeare Takes A Break, there is the beach scene for Ram's Rock Island and in Royal Retreat, a sword of some type (sorry, I'm not knowledgable about the differences in types) is on the sand. In this chapter during training, Lyssa tells Tammy "sticks turn into blades." So is this a clue of further training to come, is Tammy going to be wielding a sword against unknown baddies before this book is finished, or both?

Just wondering.

As always a great story from tow great writers.

Training for a purpose

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy's gone through training at Ram Rock before. This time though, the training seems to have more purpose than getting her in shape.

It's as though they already know of her problems with Marcus and are getting her ready to have a serious discussion with him. Otherwise, they're getting her ready for another mission she has yet to be told about.

When Tammy gets home, it will be interesting to see if she takes Lyssa's advice and confronts the people at school. If she does, a few will likely finds themselves facing lawyers for slandering her reputation with unproveable allegations of misconduct.

Others have feelings too.