Mind, Body and Spirit Redux, Part 19

Printer-friendly version
Paula Dillon's Mind, Body and Spirit

Continued by Paula Dillon and Tigger

Part 19 - Possibilities and Preparations

II - The Would-be Sorceress Plans

Still somewhat distracted by the very idea of sexy snakes - what would they wear to be sexy, anyway? Legless leather catsuits? Snake-suits? Christie parked in the hospital visitors' parking lot. "No time for this," she growled quietly to herself. "Have to get Val to buy into delaying the full reveal until Saturday without revealing exactly why."

Entering, she idly wondered if the hospital's physical therapy department had a heavy bag - she REALLY wanted to hit something! Shaking her head, she strode purposefully to Val's room and was pleased to find her friend still hadn't gotten a roommate. Thank goodness for small favors. Now, if only the nurses would leave them alone. Maybe if she . . .?

Christie changed direction and went up to the nurse's station. Two women in scrubs, one of them was older and evidently in charge, looked up as she waited patiently for them to finish whatever they were doing. "Can we help you, Miss?" The older nurse asked.

"Oh, I hope so, Nurse . . ." Christie made a show of looking at the woman's name tag, "Nurse Jenkins. I'm here to see my friend Valerie over in Room 205. I was here last night, and well, we got chatting and lost track of time." Looking somewhat abashed, she continued. "And well, your colleague on that shift had to kick me out. I wondered if it was a good time to go back in for more girl-talk, or if there's something you guys need to do for her and I should wait, or even come back later?"

Nurse Jenkins grinned at the hopeful young girl and looked over to her partner. "Becky, anything you need to take care of in 205 before 'girl-talk'?"

"Nope. She's had her morning meds and her breakfast. We're good to go until lunch. Have fun! She could use a little cheering up after what she's been through."

"Thanks! We won't be too loud! Promise!" Waving happily to the nurses, Christie hurried off to see Valerie.

At the door to Valerie's room, Christie stopped and knocked on the open door, getting her friend's attention. Pleasure lighted Val's face as she saw who was there. "Get in here, girlfriend and pull up a chair. Man, I'm glad to see you this early. I wasn't sure if you had dance class or not."

"Yesterday was ballet day; today is afternoon class at dojang. How are you feeling?"

"Mostly okay. Nothing hurts, but the uncertainty of it all is pretty stressful. I've still got this brain bruise where that asshole hit me. According to the doctors, it isn't getting worse, but it doesn't seem to be getting much better either. Those blasted shots in the ICU evidently weren't as effective as they'd hoped. They're talking about whether to do it again or try something else."

"Wow, but you feel okay otherwise?"

"Mmm, I had a couple of dizzy spells yesterday - whether that's because of the meds or the injury, they can't say. However, I'm being a bad patient about using that damned bedpan, so the nurses have to escort me to the bathroom when I need to go. I HATE being an invalid, and that bedpan just makes me feel like one. I can walk - mostly - so I get to use the bathroom just like a grown-up girl!" Enough asperity leaked to Christie to know that Val had recently made that point to at least one nurse.

"So, what's the long-term prognosis? It's not getting any worse, so that's a good sign, right?"

Val sighed loudly. "Better than it getting worse, anyway. Problem is that it's already bad enough. Long term? Could be anything from no symptoms at all to epileptic seizures. My problem is that they," and she did the 'finger quotes' gesture with her hands, "Don't know where on that range I will be. Damn, Christie, I'm worried about my parents. This hospital stuff is gonna get really expensive. I don't know how they're going to pay for all of this."

"Well, I can at least relieve you there. My Mom has already talked to your folks. Mom and her bosses at the law firm have been on Tad Green's Dad's case for a couple of months now. Remember him complaining about my Mom and her lawyers when he jumped us?" At Valerie's nod, Christie continued, "Evidently, they had processed everything short of a court injunction because he hadn't done anything quite bad enough at that point. Well, he's done enough now! Aside from the criminal case, which will be huge, our folks are bringing a civil case against Tad's family for damages and restitution. According to my Mom's boss? Paying your medical and other recovery costs will be the least of it, and Daddy Green will be damned pleased if the judgement is THAT lenient. Trust me, girlfriend. You're covered, so stop worrying and start getting better!"

"Really?" Valerie asked, trying to hope. Christie simply nodded. "God, I hope you're right. I mean, Mom's all about planning for the worst case, which means more hospital time and really limiting my physical activity while they monitor my condition. That means no Taikwondo and, also get this? NO DATING. Too much excitement, don't you know. God, Christie, I wish you'd broken both Tad's knees! And that he'd gotten his skull cracked when he fell to the ground screaming!"

"Wow, don't hold back, girlfriend! Tell me what you really think!" Christie teased before she became more serious. "That really sucks, though. I wish I could help - could do something to make it better."

"Hell, Chris, you saved me - might even have saved my life by calling 911 as fast as you did. But enough of that. What's new with you, or better yet, what do you have to tell me about yesterday?"

Looking over at the door, Christie nodded and then turned back to her friend. "I sort of hinted to the nurses that we needed some special girl talking time, and I think they will give us some space, at least until lunchtime. Wow, this will be strange, but let me ask you some questions first as I need to make sure I have my facts straight, okay? It'll get a little personal, but I pinky swear to tell no other human, living or dead, what I learn, so don't freak."

"Wow, that doesn't sound threatening - much. Okay, girl, ask away. All freaking will be held in abeyance until after your Q&A."

"Smartass," Christie grinned. "So, question 1. Did you wake up around four am this morning?" Valerie looked at her, surprised, but then shrugged and nodded. "Great. Now, question 2 is where this gets a little personal. After you were awake, umm, did you conduct a little sexual stress relief?"

The other girl's eyes narrowed to slits as she stared hard at her friend. "Remember, you are in a freaking-free zone!" Christie warned teasingly.

"Okay, so, yeah. There's only one floor nurse on night shift. So after she finished giving me my meds and taking my vitals, I knew she would be busy for at least fifteen more minutes or so, and well, I needed it, okay?!!?"

"Got it. And while you were at it, were you perhaps thinking of my experience yesterday when you, make that when WE got kissed by Daniel?"

"Hmm, it started out about Daniel - God that KISS - but as things . . .umm, progressed? Yeah, the thought of you sharing that experience did cross my mind and tickle me a bit."

"And after the big finish, did you perhaps think it would only be fair if I got to share this morning's experience with you? Something like, 'Take that, McKellar'?"

"Maaayybe." Valerie drawled as she began to blush.

"Okay, that's what I figured. Look, Val, I think this . . .connection between us is still there and might even be getting stronger. Right around four AM today, I was soundly asleep and having the best-wet dream EVER when I suddenly woke up in the middle of the best orgasm of my ENTIRE LIFE!"

Valerie's open-mouthed, eyes wide open stare told Christie her friend had made that connection, too. "And when I got this nebulous sort of 'nyah nyah, take that' feeling, I just thought, 'Hey, bring it on, sister!' Which I thought was just the tail end of that great dream, until I got this sensation of surprise and, well. . . Val? Were you maybe a little afraid at that point?"

"Oh, My, God! YOU FELT IT! I. . . I HEARD YOU!... You . . .Oh My God, Christie. That is so messed up! REALLY?" Christie only nodded, smiling gently at her friend. Valerie tried to say something more at least a couple of times but snapped her mouth shut each time before anything came out. Then, her forehead crinkled, and her eyes narrowed as she began to look very intently at the other girl in her room. "Last night. Around eleven o'clock. . . You jilled off, didn't you, McKellar? YES, YOU DID! I can see it in your eyes. YOU BITCH!!"

"Huh? What? How am I a bitch, Stevens? Dang it, Val. I'm the one who got woke up at four in the bleeding morning, and I'm the one who had a damned orgasm in public in front of my MOM!? So, how am I a bitch??"

Valerie giggled and pointed an accusing finger at Christie and was incapable of further speech. When she finally managed to control herself, she growled, "You drove me crazy last night! You just HAD to do it right at shift change, when both the evening and night shift nurses ran around doing their nursey things. Crap, I must have had a nurse in and out of my room four or five times before you finally finished. What lit your fuse, McKellar?"

Snorting a laugh of her own, Christie smirked at her friend. "Oh, I was still pretty worked up from my experience with you and Daniel, but on top of that, my Mom had one of THOSE talks with me and mentioned someone named Emma Peel, comparing me to her. I looked her up before bed. Shall we say that my itch became major?"

"Who's Emma Peel??"

"Old-time TV character. Wore a lot of leather and kicked a lot of butt. Anyway, sorry for the long-distance tease. Like I said, whatever this thing between us is, it seems to be getting stronger. That worries me."

"Why?"

"Well, suppose you have another one of those Daniel kisses while I'm driving, just for starters? Second, I don't know how it was on your end? I was clearly sensing your emotions this morning. Perhaps clearly enough to figure out what you were feeling and mostly why. It's not quite mind reading, but I just told you what I felt, and you pretty much confirmed my suppositions from your end."

"Okay, but why is that a problem."

"And here's where I can only say, I promise I'll explain everything to you Saturday afternoon when my Mom can be here to stand watch. Look, Val, my family has secrets - pretty serious ones. Secrets that have never been shared with anyone outside our family. We're worried that if this thing between us gets a lot stronger, you and I may not be able to keep anything from each other."

"Crap!"

"Yeah, crap. Since this is on me, I've decided you have a need-to-know. I've told my Mom that I have to tell you everything before this thing gets any stronger. I don't want you surprised by anything you 'hear' and then accidentally expose us."

"You're not criminals or foreign spies, are you? Nothing evil like that, right?"

"No, nothing like that. Anyway, I need Mom here because it's her secret, too, and she'll be able to help make sure that no one else is aware of what I will tell you. And I picked Saturday to ensure we'd have all the time we needed, especially after getting kicked out last night."

"Wow. Christie McKellar, Woman of Mystery. You're really serious?" At Christie's solemn nod, Val took a deep breath, then blew it out. "Okay, I agree. We'll do the full disclosure on Saturday. Everything is hush-hush until then. Pinky swear."

"Pinky swear, Val. Thanks. Now, I need to leave to prepare for today's class at the dojang. I really need some time on the heavy bag today."

"I hear that, girlfriend, and I am green with jealousy. At least Daniel is coming by after his class today."

"WHEN?" Christie yelped. At Valerie's shocked look, she gave an embarrassed giggle. "Umm, so I can be done driving home before you two consummate another kiss?"

Both girls giggled, and Valerie reached over to smack Christie on the arm. "He's due at four o'clock, and he'll probably be kicked out sometime around five when they serve dinner, such as it is. Be safe in your little cubbyhole before four-thirty if you know what's good for you, girl. I've got plans for that boy."

"Got it. Have fun and take care, okay? Gotta run. Bye."

~-~

The class at the Kims' studio was not one of Christie's better efforts. Too much was happening. Too many things were coming to a head. There were too many decisions and preparations to be made! She had nearly decided she should have cut today's lesson when Wilma summoned her over to her.

"Jeja Christie! That last combination was not performed to your usual standard, and it was not the first time today. I should hear your dobok pop when you execute that form. I have heard and seen you do that, so what is the problem? Some lingering injury from your conflict with Tad?"

Embarrassed, Christie shook her head. "No, Wilma, it's not anything like that. My focus is off today. I went to see Val before class, and it is on my mind. I was just about to call it a day when you beckoned me over."

"I will take Jeja Christie, Wilma," Grandfather Kim said, suddenly materializing behind them. I want to make sure she is correct in assessing her physical well-being before allowing her to continue class."

Both Wilma and Christie bowed to the eldest Kim, "Yes, Sa Bum Nim," they both intoned. Wilma went back to overseeing her class while Christie followed Grandfather into one of the smaller workout rooms.

After they'd seated themselves on the mat, Grandfather regarded his student intently. "All right, Christie. What is the problem you did not wish to share with Wilma?"

It was like a dam burst for Christie as everything bothering her rolled out in a chaotic torrent of words. Everything from the link to the family secrets to her concerns about the time stream to worrying about who turned up Monday morning - Christie or Charlie. Her desire to focus on her healing talents and the likelihood that Charlie would not have those abilities. And what about the things that had and had not changed with her? If Charlie came back, would Jimmy go back to having been hurt by the dog and be dealing with that psychological trauma? What would happen to her Mother's secret affair with Renee? It was all just so overwhelming, and it all was going to be driven by a 16, soon to be 17 year old's decision on who he OR she was and would be in the future.

"That is a great burden you have taken upon yourself, Christie, but I think you forget one key factor in all of this. Regardless of your decision, you will not be alone dealing with the world once you make it. Your Mother will be there. I will be there. We will both know what has happened this past year, and we will be able to help you. Just as I did when Charlie became Christie and couldn't be there to save young Jimmy. We want to help. We will help. All you have to do is let us."

Sniffling now, Christie just sat there for a few moments considering her mentor's words. Finally, she looked up and asked. "Can it really be that easy, Papa Kim?"

He smiled and then laughed. "Of course not, Jeja. Life is never 'that easy,' or what would be the point of living it? You have a challenge to face - one much greater and more demanding than most people could ever dream of facing. Just know that you do not have to face it alone."

Christie wiped her nose on the sleeve of her dobok and nodded. "We're telling Val everything on Saturday. If this link keeps getting stronger, we may be unable to keep any secrets from each other. Heck, I'm afraid to drive when she's with Daniel after yesterday."

"Go home, Christie, and get some rest. You've had a very long two days and a very short night. I'll delay Daniel's departure from the dojang until you text me that you're home safely. As to your connection with Valerie? Such things are rare but not unheard of. I've heard of psychic techniques that can be used to control such links, at least when you are aware and conscious. We will begin work on them next week if it should still be necessary."

Christie rose to her feet and bowed deeply to her teacher, mentor and friend. "Thank you, Sa Bum Nim. I don't know anything more about what I need to do than before we talked, but somehow, I feel better. You're right. I'm not, and I won't be alone in this. Guess I'll see you Monday."

"If you decide to attend your dance class tomorrow, try to concentrate better than you did here today? You don't want to injure yourself there, either."

~-~

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonderful!

I was fortunate that I got to read the first 14 installments all one right after the other. I love the mix of magic, martial arts, dance, and just plain teen angst in the story. Nicely done!

Very worried and wondering how something is going to work

Nyssa's picture

Yikes, now we have to worry about dance class! I'm guessing an injury at this point could be very bad, especially if it might influence Christie's/Charlie's future "permanent" gender. I do wonder if this psychic link might allow Valerie to preserve her "Christie-timeline" memories when Charlie comes back? That would be interesting as she tries to work out which timeline SHE prefers and tries to figure out what, if anything, to say about her preference.

Hadn't Thought of That Last Point...

Valerie will learn that part of the story tomorrow, so if she does retain the link when he's in that form, she'll at least know what's going on.

Judging from part one, Charlie and Valerie would probably have been in a relationship in Charlie's timeline, since they were headed that way already on his sixteenth birthday. Tad wouldn't have felt shamed by losing to a girl -- at least, not that girl -- and it would have been amply demonstrated by then that Tad couldn't beat Charlie in a fair street fight (is that an oxymoron?) without an attitude change, which would have been no more likely in Charlie's timeline than it was in Christie's. It seems quite likely that the fight that injured Valerie wouldn't have taken place.

She'd still have been in danger from him, either out of jealousy or an attempt to get back at Charlie by going through her. But without the brain injury, the mind connection probably wouldn't have been possible. So if the timeline changes it's at least as likely that the bond will break on her end as on his.

Without the connection, will she remember Christie at all? Seems unlikely. But if she does, your point certainly applies: Would she prefer Christie as a best friend and Daniel as a main squeeze, or Charlie as a partner with Daniel a platonic friend at best?

As another commenter noted, there'll be collateral damage if she changes back permanently. Some of Mme Coulter's dancers were ready to quit and probably would have done so even if Christie hadn't called her out, but Cindy, whether she stayed or not, would (if Christie's visualization was correct) have ended up in the audience at the professional ballet instead of in the leading role. Mme Coulter wouldn't have changed her teaching style unless Amanda, who would remember both timelines, confronted her as Christie did.

Eric

Saturday will be a busy day

Samantha Heart's picture

For Christy. Grand father is right though she needs to concentrate better. Yes she has a lot on her plate, but her mom & grandfather will be there to help anyway they can. Well IT ALSO looks like Christy & Val BOTH had embarrassing times the previous night & early the following morning. They BOYH exposed their mose intimate feelings to one another but not FOR each other.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Will Val believe what she's told?

Jamie Lee's picture

Val can see that Christey is serious in what she has to tell her on Staurday. But will Val believe what she hears? Val knows there's a link between them, both have felt the other pleasure themselves. But will she accept the rest of it?

Christey has told Amanda she wants to be a healer. Amanda told her only females in the family can be healers, boy have to attend medical school. If she stays as Christey she will have healing powers she won't have as Charlie, which will frustrate Charlie because he'll know what healing powers he had as Christey.

Who is she, Christey or Charlie, she wonders? Isn't she both personnas? Is it Charlie's drive she has or Christey's? Christey definitely is more involved in more lives, at the dojang and dance studio. As Christey, she's helped change lives, she got Cindy back into dance and cracked Renee's bitter shell. She also basically pushed Dan into Val's arms, as Val wanted.

It comes down to what Christey really wants. She's working toward the red belt, but wants to be a healer. Will that be the determining factor whether Charlie of Christey stays? She has to transform back to being Charlie as part of her trial. But will being Christey the entire year, and everything she's done as Christey, make her want to go back being Christey the rest of her life?

Others have feelings too.