Mind, Body and Spirit Redux, Part 12

Printer-friendly version
Paula Dillon's Mind, Body and Spirit

Continued by Paula Dillon and Tigger

Part 12 - The First Last?

Christie hopped out of her car, hoisted her gear bag onto her shoulder, and began walking the rest of the way to the Kim Dojang. Her 4th Geup Blue Belt test was scheduled for today, and she was quietly confident she would not have any problems passing today's tests. She'd already completed the prescribed fitness and the terminology, concepts and history tests to the instructors' satisfaction. Otherwise, she would not have been invited to participate in today's test session. All she had left to do today would be the usual technique demonstrations, the performance of the required Poomsae and the sparring.

Christie wasn't sure what had happened; her body had begun performing the moves she saw in her mind much more naturally over the past few months. Ever since she'd cut loose in that test bout against Eunice, it was as if some blockage had been removed between her extremities and her brain. Her body just remembered how to do things again.

In fact, after last Thursday's class, she'd gone into one of the small studios with Grandfather Kim and performed the Koryo Poomsae. Not just completed it, but she had done it well enough that Grandfather had said she'd have passed a test! That was without Christie having received any formal instruction at the dojang. That Poomsae was a 2nd Red Belt requirement in the Kims' school.

After her Koryo exhibition, Grandfather had tested her on some of the more advanced techniques, including several that a 5th Geup Blue Stripe had no business knowing. She wasn't quite as good at those moves as Charlie had been, but she'd done them well enough to pass a 3rd or 2nd Geup demonstration test.

Christie had spent a good deal of time considering what that meant over the past couple of days. On the one hand, she knew she wasn't going to actually test for either belt anytime soon. Those higher-ranked belts each required six months or 108 training hours before a candidate could try for advancement. Her test today would be based on training hours because she was still a couple weeks short of the three-month standard as a 5th Blue. Testing for the higher-level red belts was a whole different animal. If she didn't adhere to all the established criteria for those advancements, the Kims would face some difficult questions regarding their program.

On the other hand, that didn't really matter to her now in the grand scheme of things. Christie knew what she could do, and that was enough for her. She wouldn't be testing again until well after her June birthday. If Charlie came back then, he'd likely be a 1st Dan Black Belt, the same as Donnie Colt was now. Otherwise, it didn't matter. She'd test when it was expected of her, probably early fall, which would be perfectly acceptable. As she'd told her Mother and Grandfather, she didn't dance or practice Taekwondo for recognition. She did both for the art and her art, thank you very much, was just fine, regardless of what color belt she wore.

She walked into the dojang and was surprised to find Donnie Colt in the lobby, leaning against the shoe lockers, obviously watching the door. She wondered what that was all about since he was sporting a muscle shirt, basketball shorts and cross-trainers instead of his black belt and dobok.

"Hey, Donnie!" She said as she stowed her shoes. "What's up? Aren't you helping with the testing today?"

A slow, wicked grin lit the young man's face. "Nah, today is a pretty small test group - mostly intermediate and higher-level candidates, so Master Kim called in a couple of his pals to help. Grandfather asked me to wait out here in case we get any unexpected guests? I'm supposed to escort any such dignitaries to their reserved locations and ensure they receive every consideration they deserve."

All Christie could think was 'Huh?', but then she remembered her previous test day. Okay, she thought. Now Donnie's presence in the lobby and his apparent glee at this assignment clicked. "You're here for Tad, aren't you? Surely he wouldn't be THAT dumb, would he?"

"There's dumb, there's incurably stupid, and then there's Tad, girl. He's been going over to the Ready to Rumble Dojo for a while. I've heard that he's been shooting his mouth off about how much better it is there than here and how much tougher he is since he started working there. Let me just say he's NOT pulling any of that shi. . .crap today he tried last test day! You got my word on it, Christie." Donnie told her earnestly.

Christie thought about that a moment and then smiled. Sauntering over to the muscular young man, she went up on her tip-toes and planted a kiss on Donnie's cheek. "Thanks, Donnie. I appreciate the thought. Just don't get in too much trouble, okay? Oh, and I won't even tell Tracy you let me kiss you. See ya at the party, big fella!"

~-~

Christie recognized the 6th Dan black belt, who conducted her technique demonstration tests. He'd done her demo tests the previous January, too. She blushed as she recalled her less than perfect performance and took her position, determined to do better this time.

After the first ordered movement, Christie slipped into 'the zone.' Master Lee would order a technique or a combination of techniques, order 'Si Jak!' And Christie simply flowed into the ordered movements. She was not aware of how long she'd been performing when Master Lee called her back to attention. She bowed, and he returned it, somewhat more formally than Christie had expected.

"Jeja McKellar, I must tell you that I specifically asked to be your tester today. I was not impressed with your performance during your 5th Blue test last January. I was told that someone was interfering with your concentration, but I was still concerned to see you testing again so soon after the last. I must tell you this was an excellent performance. In fact, I'm not sure you are aware, but the last half dozen or so techniques I ordered were red belt requirements. Very well done, Jeja. You are dismissed."

The master walked away then, leaving a rather surprised student behind.

Although more complex than the ones specified for her earlier tests, these required Poomsae were less challenging than the Koryo. She walked off the mat, sure she'd nailed it.

Her first sparring match was with a 3rd Geup Red Stripe Belt who was testing for his 2nd Geup. Christie didn't really know Dan Murdock all that well, as he usually took different class sessions than she did. Still, he seemed nice enough and was pretty easy on the eyes. He WASN'T all that easy on the mat, though. He was good! Maybe not quite in Eunice's class, but he definitely had skills and knew how to show them to the judges. Fortunately, he was very good at showcasing his opponent's abilities to the judges as well. Christie left the mat, feeling a little bruised where she'd blocked some of his kicks and strikes but feeling she'd done well enough to pass.

But her second bout? Grandfather had to be up to another of his tricks. Tracy Wilcox? She was supposed to fight a bloody black belt? Donnie's girlfriend? Christie stopped in her tracks and stared back out in the direction of the lobby. Tracy didn't know about that harmless little kiss, did she? Oh, damn, not another Eunice ass-kicking - not for a test bout! What the heck are you trying to do, Papa? Get me killed??!

Master Kim walked out onto the mat to take the role of Joo Sim (referee). Master Lee, Young-Soo and Wilma Davis would be the judging panel. Grandfather wasn't even going to get to vote, the old sneak!

What was it her Mom said in situations like this? Pull up your big girl panties and get on with it? Something like that. Taking a last deep breath, Christie walked out to center-mat and came to attention. What had she been telling herself on the walk here? That her body remembered how and this was about making art. Like Alexandra Owens in 'Flash Dance!' Just like Randall had said all those months ago in the dance studio. 'Don't think about it. Just do it.'

Master Kim called for the formal bows to the judges, himself and her opponent Tracy, and then ordered, "Si Jak!".

Just do it, indeed. Christie surrendered to her art and gave her body free rein. She flashed across the mat, closing in on her opponent swiftly, and delivered a strike, kick, strike combination that scored. As they returned to center-mat after poling the judges, Tracy gave Christie a slight smile and a nod. This fight was on!

Christie was actually surprised when Master Kim finally ordered, "GOMAN! Match over. Positions and Attention!" Master Lee stood as the head judge, bowed to Master Kim, and announced, "The bout is scored a four-to-four time limit draw." Then he bowed again and resumed his seat.

The end-of-match formalities were observed, and the two women walked off the mat together. The match ended four to four, Christie repeated in her head. She could hardly remember how she'd scored, let alone how Tracy had gotten any points on her.

"Holy Hell! What have you done with Christie McKellar? Who ARE you, and what rank are you REALLY?" Tracy demanded as soon as they were off the mat. When Christie didn't react to her jibe, Tracy snapped her fingers in front of the other girl's face. "Ah, I see now. You've been possessed by the ghost of some ancient Taekwondo Mistress. Great match, Christie. It was like I was fighting Wilma out there. What got into you?"

Christie shook her head, trying to clear it. "Umm, I thought you were going to kick my ass for kissing Donnie, so I just sort of decided to let it all hang out. I figured we'd have a mercy rule stoppage before you beat me up too much, and I wanted to be able to show SOMETHING to the black belts evaluating my test."

"Well, you sure as spit showed something to THIS black belt. . . Hey, wait a minute! You said you kissed Donnie??" After Christie hurriedly explained the kiss, Tracy laughed and nodded her head. "Well, that's okay, then. Wonder if he got to escort Tad?"

~-~

At the after-party, the crowd celebrated everyone's passing. Dan Murdock congratulated her on her advancement and her showing against Tracy. "I'm just glad you didn't go off on me like that! You were amazing out there."

Unhappy that Tad had been less stupid than he thought, Donnie stomped into the dojang. Barely two steps inside, he had his girlfriend cornering him, demanding to know about getting kissed by another girl? "CHRISTIE!!! HEELLLPPP!!!" he yelled, much to the amusement of both girls.

"Excellent bouts today, Jeja," Grandfather Kim said as he appeared from behind her. "I don't think Charlie could have done better."

"I was pretty sure I could bang with Dan, but when you sicced Tracy on me, I just decided to let go and last as long as possible."

"Master Lee was particularly impressed. He actually told me we should just wait the six months and give you your 3rd Geup. He'd already tested you for techniques required for that rank, and you obviously can spar at that level."

"Well, that was nice of him, but . ."

"Jeja. The words 'nice' and 'Master Lee' do not EVER belong in the same sentence. Not when it comes to the arts. Trust me, he does not joke about such matters. That is what he said; that is what he meant."

"Well, I'm glad I was able to show him that my performance last time was an anomaly."

"True, but poor Donnie didn't get to perform his usher duties. He was so disappointed."

"Bouncer duties, you mean, Papa Kim. C'mon. Let a girl treat you to a cupcake and cup of punch."

~-~

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice, but ummmm

Samantha Heart's picture

What did Christie's mom find out about Tad? She has ALL kinds of resources at her disposal & this chapter seams to jump about 6 months or so.... still a great story & Christy gets her red belt.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Good Points

tigger's picture

3 months or nearly since she is taking this test on meeting the training hour criteria. Her red belt will be 6 months, or as she muses "in the fall".

Amanda still collecting data. Ok. Ya got me.

Hugs

T

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog"

Jamie Lee's picture

Aww...what a disappointment. Tad didn't make another attempt to interrupt Christey's testing. Yet!

Christey's bout with Tracy proves Christey overthinks her bouts. Christey believed Tracy would thump her good, so went for broke, giving better of herself than in previous bouts. Christey felt she had nothing to lose, since she would lose anyway, and just let go.

Tad going to another dojo isn't a guarantee he'll be better than those he plans to attack. He doesn't have the fire needed to go against any of the three. Providing he doesn't know Donnie's history, unless he's taught how to street fight at that dojo, with the knowledge Donnie has, Tad will end up in the hospital. And if he goes after Christey, and if she lets go, she'll put him into the hospital.

Hopefully before Tad strikes, someone will have a talk with him and put him into the hospital.

Others have feelings too.