The Voyage of the Visund -50-

Printer-friendly version

The Visund has berthed at a remote Yodan village in a side creek. Unfortunately, troops of the Ascendancy are in charge and threaten the Norse with firearms, with the potential to kill most of the men with a single volley.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

50 - The Battle of Bakhrad


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2021 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Lars had realized that, even if he could not understand the speaker, he would have understood the tone of the order. Besides which, the two 'Thunder Pipes' would obviously have been something new, if he had never seen them before. He turned to Eriana who explained.

«Captain, he says that the pipe things are weapons and between the two of them, they could kill many of our men. He says that we are captives and that the Visund will be confiscated. He orders that the men must lay down their swords. That includes you, I suppose.»

Lars noted the very slight emphasis on the word men and nodded, while still keeping a straight face. «Tell him I protest.»

She turned to Commissioner Naskath. "The Captain protests your orders, as he must. We are not party to any conflicts around here."

Naskath pulled out his own sword and waved it. "I mean what I say! Tell him to do it or he will have no men left."

Lars had started as the sword was drawn and began to draw his own. Eriana stopped him with a hand.

«Do it, Captain. He says he will kill all the men.»

Lars' shoulders dropped and he nodded, his hand dropping from his sword hilt. He turned and faced his men.

«Men! This meinfretr thinks he has captured us and threatens you all with death from these big pipes. You know that is possible. He commands that the men lay down their swords and submit to captivity. Do it but await the moment.»

There was a general staged muttering from the men, but they all began to unbuckle their sword belts and place them carefully on the ground in front of them. Standing almost behind Eirik, Ursula had missed most of the conversation five strides in front of the men but it was apparent from the moment that the Yodan weapons appeared what would happen.

She was distracted by Semma, who was standing to her left. To Ursula the whole action seemed to take a long time but it must have taken barely a second. Semma bent slightly and her right hand grasped her hem. The hem was pulled up and transferred to Semma's left hand, while the right curled around the grip of her Personal Pistol. The right thumb pushed away the safety strap and the gun came free from the holster.

Semma's left hand dropped the hem and curled up and out, pushing Eirik roughly to her left and giving her a view of the enemy. It then came down to grasp her right, fingers curling around the other hand while the left thumb pulled the safety lever across as the weapon came up. At the same time her left foot went forward and her knees bent as she went into a shooter's crouch, ready to take the recoil.

Bangbang! Two shots came almost simultaneously. Ursula knew that the pistols were single-shot so Bennett must also have fired. The Norse became surrounded by a cloud of acrid smoke. Eirik immediately bent, retrieved his sword and charged forward, pulling it from the scabbard. Most of the other men followed, but there was a third bang which briefly slowed them up.

Lars had turned to address the men and saw Eirik shoved aside so pulled Eriana in front of him and out of any line of fire - and, coincidentally, out of sight of Naskath. When Semma and Bennet fired, Eriana immediately pulled her own pistol free, sidestepped Lars and blew a hole straight through the Commissioner. The look of total surprise remained on Naskath's face as his body catapulted backwards into his men.

The two gunners had been hit by the other shots, one in the throat and the other in the diaphragm. Both were dead before they hit the ground. Their fuse-men were frozen in shock by the sudden turn of events and one stayed that way as a thrown ax smashed into his skull. The other flung away his fuse and turned to flee, but stopped immediately when he saw the locals running towards the group from the edges of the square. He turned again and put his hands high into the air.

Eriana raised her voice. «Alive, men! If the kamphundrn want to surrender, let them.»

Some did not want to surrender and paid a swift price. Ursula noted that Lars had been precise in his command: the men had indeed put down their swords but many had tucked throwing axes down the backs of their shorts, out of sight. Some had not even bothered picking up their swords but simply charged forward the moment that the Personal Pistols had been fired, relying on the total surprise they had offered.

The locals had smartly halted at a distance when they saw the extreme violence the Norse had dealt out. Now two or three cautiously approached, walking around to a point near Lars.

"Sir! Who are you? What are you? Is the Overlord dead? Are you friend or foe?"

Eriana stepped forward, the pistol still smoking in her hand. "My good man, I am leader of this crew. Lars does not speak your tongue very well. We are not Yodans nor members of any land nearby. We are merely travelers on the river who desired a bed for the night and some hot food. What has happened here? Who speaks for this place?"

A second, older, man spoke. "I am Alderman of this village, I was their leader until... Is he dead? Are we free at last?"

"He is certainly dead," Eriana replied. "Whether you are free I could not say, but we will not take the place of this carrion. If you can guide your own affairs, then I would consider you to be free enough."

The sigh of relief was audible. "Thank the Maker for that! His insanity has cost us too many men and much of our foodstocks. But a band of soldiers led by a woman? Are you the She-demon, then?"

"She-demon? I am no demon nor do I know of any. If I may introduce myself. I am Her Highness Princess Eriana of Palarand and I do indeed lead these men, who are all my personal retainers. We sailed from Palarand six weeks since on a voyage upriver. Though my men know how to fight, they are not soldiers as you might understand that word."

"Highness? Palarand? Maker! Have you come to take us away into slavery?"

"Have I not just said? Our arrival here was but chance. We desire nothing but a peaceful night and we will depart in the morning, leaving your village and your people intact."

"But..." The man paused. "I forget myself. Your Highness? Is that right? I am Kedith, Alderman of Bakhrad village. You have freed us, we would be of service, though we do not have much to offer." Another pause. "But, Palarand? That is where the She-demon is supposed to be!"

Eriana finally understood the reference. "Do you speak of a girl from another world?"

"Of course! Those of the Overlords told us that, should we allow the barbarians to conquer us, then she will come and take us all into slavery. It is said that she is taller than you and can kill with a single touch."

Eriana suppressed a laugh. It would not have worked with these simple folk.

"I know of whom you speak, Alderman. Know now that she is an ordinary girl who is, in fact, much shorter than I am. She comes from another world where it is as if they are two hundred years into Anmar's future. Thus, though she is but sixteen years old, she knows much that will change all these lands for ever. That is why those of... the Ascendancy desired to capture her, to make use of her knowledge for themselves, or to kill her, to prevent others from using it. That is why your country went to war. That is why they have frightened you with stories that are not true, to ensure that people like you and your villagers do as they are told."

"That... is not what we were told by the Overlords. I grant you, we are far from the big towns and cities and we may not understand the truth. But... a young girl?"

"Garia is indeed a young girl, one I account among my best friends. But this is no time to discuss matters which will not affect you or us directly, we can do that later. Tell me, are there more of these people about?"

"Of course, Your Highness. This was just a small party sent to investigate reports of a strange craft entering our waterway."

Her eyes narrowed. "Reports? You mean lookouts?" The man nodded. "How many? How far away from the pontoons would they be?"

"There is a hidden post just before you arrive at the first pontoon and another about half a mark along the creek towards the main river. Two men are in each, that one may report while the other remains to observe."

"Ah, I see. Where do they go to report?"

He turned and pointed. "They have appropriated a dwelling just along that track, Your Highness. I would think that all those who inhabited that place are here in the square and," he looked around at the bodies, "most of those are dead." He paused, thinking. "It is possible that one or two remained behind, to raise the alarm should something go wrong."

"Which proves that, however badly they may fight, they are not completely stupid. So, who else might that person talk to?"

"Along that track, about two marks, maybe more, is Bakhmenek, the town where the Commissioner lives... lived. I have not been there in years, we are forbidden, but I would assume that more of his kind are there."

"Lars? To me."

Lars came and thumped his chest. "Captain?"

«I am Highness here, Lars. Take three men and a guide and go and find the building where these vermin came from. If anyone is still there, bring them to me. If no-one is there that will still tell us something. Put a discreet watch on the building.»

«Of course, Highness.»

«We'll need two more guides. Three men to each will be enough. They have lookout posts along the river, one near the pontoons and one about half a mark away. There will be either one or two men in those posts. Do not let any of them get away.»

«Prisoners?»

«If you can. If you cannot, well... we do not want anyone running off and giving the alarm.»

The meaning was clear enough. «Understood.»

Lars turned and went off, shouting instructions in Norse. Eriana turned to Kedith.

"We'll need three people to act as guides. I am going to send one party off to check each of those lookout posts and another to investigate that dwelling you spoke of. I'll need three who have strong enough stomachs, though they should not be in much danger themselves."

"Of course, Highness." The Alderman turned and shouted instructions to the crowd of villagers who had congregated a short distance from the site of the fight. There was a discussion and three men eventually stepped forward.

Eriana addressed them. "If you would show my men the two lookout places and the place in your village where they laired. You should not be in much danger but I have instructed that none who are in those places should escape. That means they may be injured or killed in front of you. Do you understand?"

One of the men stepped closer and bowed. "My Lady, we understand. We are not strong enough to do it ourselves because they had the Thunder Pipes. But if you will rid our village of these crazy people, we will help your men do what must be done."

"Lars will choose some strong warriors who you will lead to those places. I am sorry but most of my men speak another tongue. Many can understand some of your tongue but cannot speak it so easily."

"We will manage, My Lady."

Kedith asked, "What else must we do, Highness?"

Eriana considered. "Until we know where the soldiers are, we cannot do what we came here for, which was nothing but a meal and rest for the night. Tell your people to clear the square and hide as they did before. If a new group arrives they could take advantage of us like this."

"As you say, Highness." He gestured to the bodies. "What of these?" The hand moved to the four who had survived. "And those?"

"We'll get these bodies out of sight in case someone does come along. As for the prisoners -" Kalmenar, Hashim, Ursula, Tyra and Kaldar approached, with Bennett and Semma not far behind. "If you would excuse me a moment. Ursula, I assume that you were not harmed?"

"We are all fine, Highness, after the initial surprise. I suppose that now you have done your job, it is time for me to do mine."

"I doubt you will find much to do here, Ursula. There are only the living and the dead, and the living have only bruises, from what I see."

"I see." Ursula made a face. "Which is as well since my basket is still on the ship. I did not expect to witness a battle today."

"I am told that there are a number of other brown-smocks about. Lars is about to send out groups to find them. If any should escape there may be other battles."

"Noted, Highness. What can we do to help?"

Eriana considered then turned to Kedith. "Alderman, that offal told us there was a traveler's hostel in the village but that it had not been used for some time."

"It is true, Highness. We are not on the main river but our small port was used to transfer goods to Bakhmenek and back. Since the war began very few craft have called here to use it."

"Then mayhap one of your villagers could show our women where it is, that they may consider its use for tonight. There are too many of us, I deem, to crowd your homes."

"Of course, Highness. But, women, on their own, will they be safe should those men come back?"

Eriana gave a fierce grin. "Two of those women were those who fired our thunder weapons, Alderman. They are trained guardswomen of the King of Palarand and should provide sufficient defense if the need arises."

"And that is a wonder to me, Highness. I will find someone to show them, but I regret there is no-one left who worked there before."

"No-one left? Why is that?"

The Alderman shrugged. "The Overlords came and marched away most of those who they said could fight. None have returned since. There were some women but many of our folk fled into the forest. Some may have been captured."

Eriana grimaced. "I am sorry that you have all suffered such a hard life. If we may prevail, we may make your village safe but we cannot bring back those who left."

He bowed. "If it must be, Highness. It is the way of the world."

She turned to Ursula. "I know it might be considered women's work, but I would ask you to take the others and investigate the hostel these people have."

"Of course, Highness."

She turned to Kalmenar with a smile. "Did you like our fight, My Lord?"

"Highness, I wondered whether I would still be breathing at the end of the day! I should have known better. My sword was ready, should it have been needed, but as I have told you before my weapons these days are words, not cold steel." His tone was dry. "I doubt words would have been sufficient here."

"We will keep you in reserve, My Lord. Every battle is different, you may yet find another more suited to your weaponry."

"Highness."

Lars reappeared with about half the men. "Lars, there you are. Here are your guides -"

* * *

"This is a very strange place," Tyra muttered. "It is so unlike anywhere I have ever been before."

"Not surprising when you spent your entire life growing up in Joth," Ursula responded. "However, it is unlike anywhere I have ever been either, and I have seen many strange sights as I moved around."

"As you say, Mistress."

"A tree house," Bennett suggested. "There was a small tree house on my father's farm but this is much bigger than that! At least the rooms all seem to have floors, walls and roofs of proper wood planks. I did wonder whether we would be sleeping tonight on beds woven from the trees."

"True," Ursula agreed, "but you'll notice that the windows have no glass, only shutters. And we must all beware when moving from room to room since there are ramps and odd numbers of steps everywhere."

"Which way should we go, Mistress?"

They had reached a kind of lobby beyond the entrance with covered walkways that led off in several directions, and to several levels. Ahead was a large chamber.

"I suggest we look in there first," she replied, pointing. "That looks like the common room and I am guessing that the kitchens would be beyond that. Once we are sure of those and the bathing facilities we can come back and see where these other passages lead."

Since there was a serving counter at the rear, the large chamber seemed to be the common room. The roof here had a curious structure of tree branches woven into arches, over which had been stretched a canvas cover which would keep out the rain but let in some light. Tables and benches had been stacked to either side to leave the center clear. There were several doorways visible, one leading to a toilet obviously designed for male guests.

The party went through the large rear passage and came out into a kitchen which had an earthen floor, stone walls and a canvas roof. A large range stood to one side, with a doorway which led outside. Semma investigated and reported a covered outbuilding full of firewood. At the rear of the kitchen was another sizeable room which caused a surprise to everyone except Bennett.

"Is this the first hostel I have visited which did not have running water?" Ursula asked.

"Probably," Bennett replied. "But to have running water one must needs have a stream at a higher level or some system of pumps, pipes and a tank. Here they have no stream so they must needs sink a well and pump out the water."

There was a double-sided rocker lever which operated the pump. Bennett and Semma each took a side and worked the pump but nothing happened. Bennett examined the simple mechanism and looked up.

"Mistress, this has not been used for some time and the leather has been allowed to dry out, which means that it has shrunk and split. Even on our farm we knew to work the pump each day, especially during the hotter weather, to make sure the leather parts always stayed wet."

"Can it be mended?"

Bennett stood, thinking. "This pump can only supply the hostel, Mistress. I would guess that there are a number of these scattered around the village, which means that someone should have a supply of leather for replacing any damage."

"Unless they sent off to that town for parts."

"As you say, Mistress. Ah, look, the water collects in here," she indicated a large earthenware basin lined with glazed tiles, "and goes through that pipe along that way."

She gestured at the pipe, which went through the wall beside another doorway. Through there they found a second identical pump, this one lifting the water up somewhere above their heads.

Bennett nodded. "A two stage arrangement, much like that in the palace," she explained. "These walls are also of stone, which is needed to take the great weight of the tank which must be above our heads. From there the water can be piped wherever it is needed."

Ursula saw the arrangement and understood. "Which would be the kitchen and the bath house, which could be along there?"

"As you say, Mistress." She studied the several exits warily. "Mistress, it would be too easy to become lost in this maze of passages. If we may return to the common room and work our way out from there."

"Agreed, but first, is that pump working?"

"Mistress, to know that we must needs prime it with water from the other one, so -" Bennett spread her hands.

Ursula nodded. "I see. One step at a time, then. Back to the common room."

Although the arrangement seemed confusing at first, and unlike anywhere any of them had ever been before, it did not take long to work out the layout. There was a men's dormitory up and off to one side but it was too small to accommodate all the men. The women's rooms were off to the other side and even smaller. Fortunately a number of other rooms could be pressed into service as additional sleeping accommodation. The bathing facilities were simple but adequate.

"We should report what we have found so far to Her Highness," Ursula said when they gathered again in the common room. "It is getting late and we'll need to unload food and chests from the Visund before we can go to bed tonight... and it is a long walk from the pontoons."

"As you say, Mistress," Bennett agreed, "but first we must needs get those pumps fixed. The roof leaks we may live with."

"If necessary we can ask the villagers to cook some food for us and find us somewhere to wash, but you are right. I am guessing that Her Highness will not leave this place until the rot is cut out, which means that we will be here more than just one night."

"Cutting out the rot, that is the right description for it, Mistress."

Back in the village square everything had changed. There were now only four people there, the bodies and the prisoners having been removed. Eriana greeted them.

"What have you found?"

"We can use the hostel, Highness," Ursula replied, "though some of the men will be sleeping in some odd places tonight. There is firewood, so a meal could be cooked there if we had any food. There are two or three places where the roof might leak if we have any rain, but nowhere important. The main problem is that the water pumps have dried out and at least one of them has split leather."

Kedith spoke up. "Highness, we have supplies of leather stored safely away. With your permission I will ask those who know how to fix such problems to fetch some and attend the hostel."

"Thank you, Kedith, that will be a great help. Tell me, have you carts? We must needs bring our chests and some food from our ship."

"There are hand-carts, Highness. If your men can pull them I will show them where they are." He hesitated. "There may also be some food available later. One of the reasons there are so few men here today is that many of us who are left must needs go out fishing that the village does not starve. Depending on what they bring back, of course we will share."

"We will not permit you and your village to go hungry, Kedith. Thank you again for your generous offer."

"Highness, it is the least we can do." The Alderman bowed and walked off.

"We now have eight captives," she told the women. "Luckily for us the fuse-holder who survived was a reluctant member of their band and has spoken freely to us, probably hoping for mercy. It seems that the so named Commissioner is no such thing but the equivalent of a Tenant, or perhaps what Palarand names a Quadrant. It is not clear. He and his men are fugitives from the Alliance, outlaws, and sought to form some sort of resistance.

"He does not hold sway in that town he named, Bakhmenek, but in two farms near the edge of this forest. He has cowed another village, Bakhzorum, which I understand is along that other track." She pointed. "Since the route to Bakhmenek from either must needs pass those farms, they can prevent anyone from leaving the forest that way. As far as those of Bakhmenek are concerned, the villages of the forest were burned to the ground a long time ago and are deserted, which is why no-one comes this way to investigate.

Ursula nodded. "I wondered. We are not that far from Yod for a whole town to have held out. How many men does he have? Can you take all of them?"

Eriana grinned at her. "A warrior's heart, I see, even if you do not fight yourself! Our turn-face cannot count but he thinks possibly forty or fifty are left, under two underofficers of some kind."

"And maybe split over two sites. Of course they will have patrols and will certainly come here when their leader does not return."

"Indeed. I am torn between leaving immediately to attack them and getting our gear off the Visund."

"Difficult. You need more men. Oh, what about those... guns, whatever they are, that they had? Can you use them?"

Another grin. "Oh, aye! They are like those we have already faced, captured and turned upon the enemy at Gylfi's Rest. My men probably know how to use them better than those who bear them now. They are an improved design and suffered no harm when their holders were killed. We have also recovered their ammo bags and, while the count of rounds is small, there are enough for us to use."

The words ammo and rounds came through in English and Ursula wondered why. Still, that question was for another time. She asked, "Do you think the Visund is safe enough where it is?"

"I did, until the Alderman told me about the fishermen who may shortly return. Why?"

"If you would give me the sailors from the crew, we should be able to unload whatever is needed for tonight. That will get all the women - and Kaldar - out of possible harm's way and leave you and your warriors to do... whatever is required. We'd have Bennet and Semma if there should be any trouble, unless you wanted them and their pistol skills for your assault?"

Eriana shook her head. "Replacement rounds for our pistols are all on the Visund, so theirs and mine are of no use until we can clean and reload them. In fact, I might as well give you mine now and the girls can reload it for me when you all get to the ship."

She suited action to words by lifting her skirt and passing the pistol from her holster to Ursula. She then surprised them all by unstrapping the holster and handing it over. Ursula put the pistol back into the holster and secured it with the safety strap.

"There is little point to me wearing the holster if the pistol is not there." Eriana remarked. "Of course, I could not wear my sword when we arrived, it would have given everything away. But I will need it before I can lead any assault."

"Can you attack in darkness? It will probably be dark by the time we can get back with your sword but I do not know what you and your men are capable of."

Eriana nodded. "Darkness would be better for us in such an adventure. It will be little different to a raid of old, where we would creep up on coastal villages and remote farms to plunder. There is a good moon tonight, that has always been in my thoughts, and I will consider how best we may make use of it." She nodded again. "In fact, I will come with you and collect my sword myself. That way I can return immediately while you and the crew sort out our chests."

"Sounds like a plan."

"Then I must organize my men." She turned. "Lars! Tor! To me, if you please."

* * *

When the cargo party reached the pontoons they found two small fishing boats had arrived and four very puzzled and apprehensive fishermen standing on the pontoons, staring at the Visund. The apprehension increased to almost panic as the strangely-clad group of strangers approached.

"Be easy, friends!" Eriana tried to settle them. "Your families are in no danger, not any more. We have freed Bakhrad from the Overlords, and once I have fetched my sword I will lead my men to punish those who have wronged you."

They stared at her as if she had grown another head. Their eyes switched around, looking at the rest of the group, finally stopping at someone they thought might be in charge: a man. But Tor only smiled and pointed to Eriana.

"She is Princess Eriana. She leads us. I am sworn to her."

Eriana opened her mouth but Ursula stepped forward. "If I may, Highness. Gentlemen, we are travelers on the great river who happen to have landed here looking for a meal and rest for the night. We were met by someone calling himself a Commissioner who promptly arrested us."

This information made the fishermen's attitude worse. She held up a hand and continued, "There was a brief battle and the Commissioner, together with most of his men, were killed. Her Highness Princess Eriana, who owns our ship and leads our party, will take her men and finish off those who remain."

They goggled at Ursula. "But... the Thunder Pipes?"

She smiled. "Ours were quicker. And much easier to use. But, really, we could probably have managed without. Our men are that quick." The smile vanished. "But one of the enemy told us the truth. Their leader was no Commissioner but the officer of a group of deserters from an army which no longer exists. The war ended long ago, with the defeat of the Ascendancy. What day would that be, Highness?"

"Ah, in Palarand we learned of the war's end on the Sun Balance day - what do they name it here?"

Bennett supplied, "It was during the Spring Dawning ceremony, Highness. That means that it must have ended about a week before."

"Palarand?" One of them said. "You are from Palarand? I did not think such a land really existed. Are all their boats so large, then?"

Eriana smiled. "This is no boat, goodman. When it reaches a certain size it is named a ship. But neither this ship nor most of its crew come from Palarand, but another land much further away. No matter. What does matter is that you may go home in peace, your families are safe, hostages no more, and the Overlords are ended. You have been fishing today?"

"Aye... Highness, we have. A good catch, gadris, brakkis, felomris, charis... not so many of the last. Uh, if I may ask, are you expecting the village to feed you tonight? How many of you are there?"

"Thirty-one, I deem." Her eyes narrowed. "Or is it thirty-two? We seem to be picking up strays everywhere we land."

"Thirty-one? Maker! But that is why your... ship... is so large, then. I doubt our catch alone will feed the village and all your crew... Highness."

"That is why we are at the pontoons now," she explained, "to bring some of our own supplies, that your village will not go short. You have been short too long already, I deem."

"Aye, Highness, many of our men were taken for the war and not enough are left to fish properly." He hesitated. "It is truly ended?"

"Months ago. Those men refuse to believe the truth, that their twisted ideas are dust. They sought to bring back a vanished nightmare. They will trouble you no longer."

"I am relieved to hear that, Highness. Uh, there are more boats out, the others may have as good a catch as we have today."

"Then let us carry on. I must needs return to the village immediately, once I have fetched my sword."

When Eriana jumped off the Visund with her scabbarded sword in her fist and casually balanced on her shoulder, the men goggled again. They watched her stride off in silence.

"Can she really use that sword?"

Ursula replied, "I have not seen her in battle with it but I have seen her at practice with several different groups of soldiers. The answer is that she can almost certainly fight with it if she wants to."

"I deem she wants to, Mistress. She may be young but she is strong and I can see the anger in her body."

"She does not like people like you having advantage taken of them. She is not a typical Valley woman, that is certain."

"As you say, Mistress. Uh, the sun lowers, by your leave we must get our catch to the village."

"Look, if you can wait a few moments until we unload what we need we can all go together. We have brought some carts from the village and it will save you carrying your catch. It will also be safer for you to travel with us."

"Done, Mistress."

By the time they had collected what they needed and gotten everything up the steps to the ramp and the carts, another fishing boat had arrived and two more could be seen approaching. Explanations had to be made again and loads adjusted, which meant that it was nearly dark when they reach the village square once more. The sailors had been forced to carry some of the catch since the carts were dangerously overloaded.

As they entered the square Kedith was waiting with Kalmenar and Hashim. Otherwise the square was empty. The Alderman strode forward to greet the fishermen.

"Thank the Maker you are all safe! Good catch, Von?"

"Elder, we have all made good catches this afternoon. As the waters lower, so it becomes easier to find the fish. We have plenty for all to feast tonight, and I know that a feast will be needed if what these visitors tell us is true."

"It is true, Von. I was there, I saw it. The visitors came from the creek in a crowd and Naskath faced them with two Thunder Pipes. I was certain we would soon be cutting wood for many pyres but in a flash, literally, the Commissioner and the pipe-men lay dead, and most of his men soon after. Now Her Highness has taken her men to, as she says, finish off the vermin."

"Thank the Maker, indeed! But you say that some still lurk in the forest?"

"One who surrendered talked and told us that their leader was no Commissioner but a lowly under officer of some kind. Her Highness tells us that the war ended many weeks ago and these are but a rabble roaming the land, seeking villages to plunder and terrorize. They are said to hold a farm along each of the tracks to Bakhmenek and Bakhzorum. She has taken her men to the farm along the Bakhmenek track which holds most of those whom remain."

"And Bakhmenek? Do they hold sway there?"

"We do not know. We do not think so. All we were told was lies."

"Do you think her men can do it?"

Kedith shrugged. "I have no idea, Von." He turned to Ursula. "If I may ask, Mistress, do you know if your ship will be departing tomorrow? I would not blame you if you did."

"I do not know Her Highness's mind but I am sure that she would not sail away leaving an enemy behind her to come back and threaten you. I am not sure that she planned to attack both farms tonight which might mean that some of them will remain to cause trouble tonight or tomorrow."

He pulled a face. "Then, if I may suggest, we should not feast tonight since it may invite trouble while we do so. If you may retire to the hostel and prepare yourselves an evening meal. Von has said the catch is good, we are more than willing to share. You already know that it is easy to escape into the forest through the windows. Should trouble approach then one of your men, keeping watch, can send a signal for you to depart."

Ursula considered. "That makes sense, given the situation. I assume that the villagers will all disappear as well?"

He scowled. "It is what we did the first time they arrived. They defeated that tactic by confiscating that house and moving some men in. From then on we could do nothing, since they always had hostages."

Ursula's expression was grim. "I understand. We had better clear the square, then. Tor, can you move our gear into the hostel? Tyra will show you where to put it all while Adin and I work out how much food we'll need."

Tor nodded. "Of course, Mistress."

She remembered a problem and turned. "Oh, Alderman, has anyone attended to the pump? We cannot cook without water."

"Done, Mistress. The leather parts on both pumps have been replaced with new and it has all been tested." Another scowl. "It is fortunate that one of our older residents, now retired, remembered what to do. Those who normally attend such matters were taken away by the Overlords to fill their army."

She sighed. "I sympathize with you. It is always those who are the most talented who go and the same people are less likely to return, unfortunately. I hope that will not happen again to this village for a long time."

"As you say, Mistress."

* * *

The evening meal had been an interesting fish stew. Brakkis had been a kind of crab analog while felomi seemed to resemble eels. Ursula knew what gadi were but chari seemed to be a salmon or trout analog, and just as tasty. As she had never tasted eels before she could not compare the two but Adin's culinary sorcery had produced a delicious meal that everyone ate with gusto.

It was a pity that it was only shared between the women and the sailors, since no-one had returned from the forest. Adin looked mournfully at the big pot of cooked but uneaten food, wondering if it would still be fit for consumption when the others finally arrived.

Eventually those in the hostel decided to retire for the night. There was no sense in everyone staying up since that would just mean that all would be tired should anything happen. Two of the sailors had decided to act as sentries or watchers so took up positions where they could overlook the square without being seen.

The largest room was shared by Bennett, Semma and Kaldar, with space left for Eriana. Since only the ship's crew were in the hostel there was no need for any subterfuge where Kaldar was concerned. Ursula and Tyra had a tiny room next door just big enough for them and their chests. They had no beds but slept on pads made from folded blankets.

Ursula could not sleep. She wondered what had happened to the raiding party. Eventually she drifted off, but her sleep was fitful, wondering if Eriana would survive what could be her biggest test since she had departed from Einnland.

* Meinfretr: stinkfart. Kamphundrn: carrion eaters.

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Done my Duty!

And have updated the Appendices. Just have to post them all now!
J

not exactly as planned

the Visund's crew proved better than the "Commissioner" thought, and it cost him his life. good stuff!

DogSig.png

Word of Paraland having their

Word of Paraland having their own guns must not have reached him, and if it had, certainly not the news that they lacked the same weaknesses theirs had, which makes sense as the guns they fielded were snipers/marksman rifles, cant really pick out the fact that they don't need a fuse holder if none of your people are ever close enough to see them being operated.

Propaganda

It seems once the brigands are dealt with, some point after her return Garia is going to do some public outreach in parts that were once part of or adjacent to Yod

delete 1

laggy connection tripple

delete 2

see above

You have to wonder

How many prisoners they will get? Somehow I get the feeling that these guys aren't willing to fight to the death.

We'll Just Have to Wait to See How Things Turn Out

We don't know how difficult Penny's going to make it. Eriana and the boys should do well. It's almost certain that they faced stronger and more organized opposition at Bolden's Rock (where they had injuries and casualties). I don't think Ursula understands what was accomplished at Bolden's Rock. It's hard to imagine the group of deserters putting up much of a fight against Eriana and her men. I guess we'll fnd out next time.

Thanks to Penney for the flow of postings recently. I know that she has plenty of R/L distractions.

Bolden's Rock

she's heard about it, but yeah she doesn't grasp that was a major route, but it was hundreds against a little over 20, over a fortified position now there's half that number spit across 2 towns and she has guns and they likely dont

A lighter moment..

Much anticipated and thoroughly enjoyed.

alissa

Their thundersticks were useless

BarbieLee's picture

Those of Yod were depending on the modern weapons to bring the visitors to kneel and obey or die. Sound familiar? Even today many depend on technology to be the the thing to keep us all safe from our past discretion and nothing could be further from the truth.
Eraina ever going to get a break? The last stop at Yod was a fight against an assassin for Ursula and the girls.Now everyone is having to fight to rid this nest of Yod vermin. Those who gain total control over the masses never want to give it up again.
Hugs Ms. Lane
Barb
Life is a gift, don't waste it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

How its used

the way in which a technology is used can be just as important as the technology itself, the Yoddan guns as they are, are only truly effective in an ambush, if the enemy cant see them, the disadvantages of them being short range and matchlock are mitigated,

raiding

the biggest challenge is that the enemy could send patrols from either farm, and each can have similar number to their party, they can't attack one without leaving the town vulnerable to a patrol slipping past them, the cover of darkness can get them closer unseen, but it also means those that escape may be able to reach the others undetected. They could split up and take both at once using the element of surprise, but that puts each group at a numerical disadvantage, or a more significant one anyways, they know Bekhemenek has more soldiers, assuming the prisoners were truthful though as the village was used as a port primarily for that one, it stands to reason. They'd need a detachment waiting in ambush for patrols from the smaller farm, alternatively they are relying on those left in the village to handle any errant patrols, that'd maximize their advantages against the bigger threat.

If the Yoddans have anymore guns, they'd be with the larger group, I also suspect they don't keep them loaded, their first experiences with them in wet weather, errant sparks or simply the fuse/match breaking off from handling would warn them against that, so that means they have at least a minute, probably more, from when an alarm is sounded to when any gun they might face is ready to be fired upon them. No wonder they are taking their time, they need to sneak past and/or eliminate any lookouts so they may reach any buildings the troops may be housed in, within a couple minutes of being detected.