The Voyage of the Visund -47-

Printer-friendly version

After an unexpected feast the women gather in their chamber, where Ursula tries to explain her origins to Kaldara. Later she wonders about the day's events.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

47 - Secrets Told


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2021 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



When Ursula's group returned to the hostel for lunch they found Kalmenar pacing anxiously outside.

"My Lord! What has happened?"

"Mistress Ursula, the meeting with the Council of Marshals was... difficult. I had not realized that there were factions amongst the Allies as well as among those of Yod."

Although Ursula had half expected a bumpy ride, she was still concerned.

"What was the problem, My Lord?"

He grimaced and then replied, "While many, including those from Brugan, Forguland and Ferenis accepted Her Highness's status as effectively an equal to those present, others did not. I showed them all her charters, both as a Princess of Palarand, signed by our King, and as the head of the new Navy. That one was signed by every Head of State who had agreed to form the new Federation."

He grimaced again. "Some, including Marshal of the Field Pangan from Virgulend and Chief Marshal Garzanar of Smordan, maintained that she was but a foreign Princess who had no authority in Yod, and that she should leave matters to those who knew what they were doing. Someone pointed out that the rank mark on her baldric was that of a mere Captain. Garzanar, to my astonishment, even declared that neither Her Highness nor the women with her could competently use the swords they carried."

"Oh, my!"

"Indeed, Mistress. Commander Lars, as was his right, challenged Garzanar to a duel to clear the honor of his liege, but Her Highness prevented him from accepting the challenge."

"That was just as well, My Lord. It could have gotten messy."

"It did, Mistress. Her Highness challenged him herself. Several of the other officers there cast doubt upon His Majesty's guardswomen, so a fight was arranged, three against three until first blood."

"Boje! Of course, they were not wearing practice blades, were they?"

"As you say, Mistress. I have to say the men were most careful, not knowing just what the three women could do, but soon were forced to put up a real defense." He smiled in an embarrassed way. "Her Highness beat back Marshal Garzanar and then smacked him in the side of the head with the flat of her sword, knocking him completely out. Bennet fought Pangan and it was a closer duel, they were forced to declare it a draw after each blooded the other at the same moment."

"Bennet is wounded? I must go to her immediately!"

Kalmenar waved a calming hand. "The wound is simple and slight, Mistress. Have no fear for her safety."

"What about Semma, then? She does not have the build to face a determined swordsman."

"As you say, Mistress." Kalmenar smirked then. "She drew her sword but did not use it, instead kicking the sword of Marshal Zornis of Lower Fanir out of his hand. That ended his fight, since the kick also broke a bone in his arm."

Ursula whistled. "Remind me never to face those three in a fight! But what happened after that?"

He shrugged. "Her Highness achieved what she came to do, Mistress. I can explain later if she does not." He paused. "She is in a foul mood, though, mayhap it would be a good idea if you were to attend her."

"I'll do that, My Lord." She turned. "Coming, girls?"

She led Tyra and Kaldara to the bottom of the Women's Stair, where Lars paced anxiously. His mood brightened when he saw Ursula. Above him, on the stair, two of the hostel's female staff prevented him from ascending.

"Mistress Ursula. Go to Princess, please."

«On our way, Lars. You can rest easy.»

He nodded. «Good. I will take all the men back to our own barracks for lunch.»

«Please. Debrief later?» He gave her a questioning look. «I want to find out what happened at your meeting. You can learn what happened to us.»

«Yah, Mistress. This afternoon, after day-sleep.»

«Done.»

She pushed past him and went rapidly up the stairs, Tyra and Kaldara following. At the door to their chamber she knocked and then opened the door and entered.

"Ursula! Thank the Gods!"

Eriana practically ran across the chamber and grabbed the startled Ursula in a hug. After a brief moment the Princess backed off quickly, looking embarrassed.

"There was trouble at our meeting -"

"We heard."

"And word was brought that you also had problems. We feared for your safety."

"There was a lot of name calling, Highness, and a little pushing and shoving. However, first I should attend to Bennet if she is injured."

"Of course."

Bennet sat on her bed with a bandage around her left upper arm. She did not appear to be too concerned. Tyra fetched Ursula's basket and brought it over as Ursula began to unwind the bandage. Underneath was a deep vertical cut in the bicep. The bleeding had stopped.

"It looks clean enough."

"Aye, Mistress, one of the healers attached to the Council attended me - us - after the stupidity was over."

"Still, I think I'll clean it out again and put on some ointment and a fresh bandage. That way I'll know that it will heal properly and not damage that muscle too much." She looked up at Bennet. "You were very lucky here, you realize. Muscle strands go up and down and it looks like the blade didn't cut through too many."

She carefully pulled the wound apart, noting that it went in about two centimeters. "Just the tip of the sword, then. If it had been the other way around, so that it cut across the muscle, there would have been more damage and your arm might never have been as strong again."

"As you say, Mistress."

Ursula closed the wound and looked at the cut thoughtfully. "I don't think I want to put any stitches in here, the cut isn't long enough to cause any problems without. But I will wrap it well and tell you that you should not use that arm for any heavy work for a while. Oh, and that includes using your counter blades."

"As you command, Mistress. Ah, if I may continue to eat my food normally?"

"I would think so, yes, just be careful what you lift."

Ointment was applied and the arm closely wrapped. Ursula wiped her hands on a cloth and looked around. "Anything else I should look at while I have my basket here?"

Eriana shook her head but Semma asked diffidently, "Mistress, if you would look at my foot. I am not sure if I have damaged anything."

She sat on her bed and unlaced her right boot, removing it and the sock. The end of her foot, and some toes, looked inflamed.

Ursula turned. "Tyra, I'll need some clean, hot water. There ought to be some in the kitchen, lunch will be served sometime soon. Uh, just a small bowl will do, thank you."

"Of course, Mistress."

While she waited she held Semma's lower leg and, raising it, inspected as much of the foot as she could see.

"You kicked hard enough to break bones, then?"

"Aye, Mistress, though that was not my intent. I forgot that our boots have steel toecaps inside."

Ursula shook her head. "Do not apologize, Semma, since what you did ended your fight immediately. Hmm. Your big toe looks inflamed and the next one is almost as bad." She looked up. "My problem is that, because they are so small, it can be difficult to tell if bones in toes are actually broken. Where I come from, we usually had to use a special machine to see if that was so."

As Semma nodded Ursula felt Kaldar's eyes upon her.

She continued, "Whether the bones are broken or not, because of placement we have to treat the foot the same way. I'll give you something to take the pain away and help to reduce the inflammation." She thought. "Actually, wearing those boots is probably the best way to keep the foot out of trouble, especially if they have steel toecaps."

"As you say, Mistress. I am used to wearing them so it should not cause me trouble."

"Except that the rest of us will be wearing sandals on board as the weather is so warm. Or going about in bare feet, even. On board ship, then, you can take the boots off, but you should not move around too much with bare feet."

"As you command, Mistress."

While she waited for the water she turned to Eriana, who had begun pacing up and down the chamber.

"Highness, Lord Kalmenar gave me a simple outline of what happened to your party."

Eriana stopped and turned, her expression one of anger. "Aye. I should have remembered what the old fools in my father's courts were like. Men in such positions always think they know better." A grim smile. "Well, they know better now. We have taught them that what they thought they knew about their craft is no longer true. Mayhap some of them will now accept suggestions from younger folk, though they are still reluctant to agree that any woman may know as much about fighting as they."

"It will happen, Highness. Remember they are only at the start of this process and most will be from countries where women do not fight at all. Did you not tell me that even women in Einnland do not normally fight?"

"It is true, Ursula. I believe that I was only permitted because of whom I was - and, possibly, because one day I might have sat on my father's throne, or led his men, should none of his sons have survived." She grinned suddenly. "That will not happen now, of course, and I may have a much more rewarding future in front of me, should the Gods permit."

Ursula cocked her head. "So what happened afterwards, then? Kalmenar said that you got what you went for but said no more."

"Oh, aye! Once the healers had left us we all sat down again. Several were still unwilling to accept my position but were equally unwilling to contest me. My quest concerned the galleys which were seized from Yod during and after the war, you understand. They are to be parceled out among those who have joined the Sirrel Federation, to form the River Command. Eventually these will be replaced by more modern vessels but until then we must needs make do with what is already there.

"That may mean that some of those lands would second their river forces, who would operate the galleys, to the Federation. Some of those present were reluctant to lose either the galleys they had captured or the men to man them. I explained that their loss would be to the gain of all, and that their own lands would still administer their stretch of the Sirrel and most became content.

"One matter which did cause heated discussion was the provision of galleys to cover the stretch of river flowing past Yod itself. Should that be covered by the other lands nearby or should those of Yod itself manage its own affairs? That would mean returning some few galleys to Yod, which none desired for obvious reasons. Since Yod is not part of the Federation, it was decided that other lands would manage the Yodan stretch for now. When a proper ruling authority of whatever kind is agreed for Yod then that question will be asked anew."

"Thank you, Highness. I understand now." Ursula could see that Eriana was still tense. "Highness, you should try to relax. I remember you once said that you were taught some meditation techniques."

The Princess stared at Ursula and then let out a long, slow breath, her shoulders dropping. "Ursula, your words are wise. My mind is churning with all that has happened today, and we have not yet eaten lunch! Aye, Garia taught me how to calm my mind and I will attempt to do so." She gave a warm smile. "Thank you for your concern."

She promptly sat down cross-legged on the floor, but before she could do anything else Tyra appeared with a bowl of hot water. Instead of closing her eyes Eriana just calmed her breathing and watched proceedings.

"Mistress," Tyra said to Ursula, "I am told that lunch will be served in less than half a bell."

"You are telling me that I have to do what I have to fairly quickly." Tyra blushed, but Ursula continued, "It is no problem. There is time to do this and to clean ourselves up before we eat. Hand me that bowl and find me a cloth or two, please."

Once cleaned Ursula examined Semma's foot critically. "I think that you have just bruised the longest two toes. Some salve and a thin wrapping to keep that from going all over the boot should be enough."

"Thank you, Mistress."

"It might also mean the boot is a little small." She turned to Eriana. "Did I hear someone say that your footwear is made for each person?"

Eriana considered. "That is almost true, Ursula, though I believe that some footwear is taken from the Palace wardrobe, if any may be found that fits. It is possible that the boots of Guardsmen - and, I deem, Guardswomen - may be selected that way." She added, "Of course, all my own attire is made especially for me, since I am of an unusual size for a woman."

Ursula gazed at Eriana's figure. On Earth she would probably have been snapped up by a modeling agency or even become an actress but in this world she was just an anomaly, a square peg of a fit, active, confident woman who was never going to fit into any of the round holes available whatever her size. It was possible that her new post would satisfy most of her urges but Ursula was not sure that it would be enough.

Semma said, "Highness, since the Wardrobe had never fitted women for the Guard before, all our attire was made especially for us. I do not think any of it came from the shelves."

"Oh. Then, Semma, we must needs discover why your foot moved in the boot such that it caused your injury. Mayhap Ursula has some theory."

"Me? Highness, I will investigate but now is not the time. I would suggest that we should now make ourselves ready for lunch. As for myself, I have a pressing appointment in the bath house. I imagine that Tyra and Kaldar would like to go there as well."

"As you say! I ask your pardon, Ursula, Tyra, Kaldar. You have wandered Yod all morning and now you must needs relieve yourselves before we eat. Semma, can you yet walk on that foot?"

"I think so, Highness."

"Then let us go. I feel in the need for some pel, strange though that thought may be to me."

* * *

It was late afternoon. The entire group of women had walked over to the men's barracks and, after some discussion, borrowed a chamber big enough that everyone could fit comfortably inside. Everyone exchanged details of their morning activities before going their separate ways. In the case of the women, that meant walking back, fortunately without too much interference, before going once more to the bathing facilites to refresh themselves before the evening meal.

"Um." Ursula rubbed her upper arms against her newly-freed breasts.

"Mistress?"

"I think it is that time of the month, Tyra. When we get back to our chamber I think I will need to start wearing tie-sides."

"Oh! Kalikan! Of course, Mistress." Tyra gave her a questioning glance. "Surely you knew when 'tis due, Mistress?"

"Only by the feelings in my breasts and stomach, Tyra. I know that Kalikan is involved but I do not know the calendar well enough to know the days."

"But..."

Ursula held up a forefinger. "Tyra, I have had exactly one Call since I came to Anmar. That was before you joined me. Her Highness told me that they can be all over the place for a few months until my body settles down. That information came from Lady Garia... Princess Garia."

"It is true," Eriana confirmed. "Though she had mostly settled down by the time I arrived in Palarand, she and Jenet had trouble accounting the days, instead relying on the feelings of her body, as I was told they do on the mother world. Ursula, this is something that you must needs put up with for some time."

Kaldara had a hand to her mouth. "Mistress, you are the one!"

Ursula turned. "Yes, Kaldara, I am. There has been no time to explain but we will do so after we have eaten and retired. Highness?"

The Princess nodded. "Aye, tell what must needs be told, Ursula. The fate of our newest crew member is bound up with that of us all, she should... he should know all." She asked Ursula, "What will you wear this evening? During your last Call, I remember, you could not wear a ship dress."

"Well, I have a few day dresses, of course, and there are two evening gowns. Are you suggesting a long gown, Highness?"

Eriana smiled. "Mayhap. And, should you choose a long gown for this evening, then perhaps we should join her, should we not, ladies?"

Bennet nodded. "Highness, it will make a welcome change. Though ship dresses are practical enough, I am a woman, sometimes I desire to wear attire of a different kind. With your permission?"

"Ask Ursula, not me! Ursula, what shall we wear this eve?"

"Long gowns it is, then. Highness, you know what will happen once we come downstairs again."

Eriana smirked. "Aye! It will do that rabble good to see us as we really are. And it will not upset their sensibilities as we have done before."

Kaldara looked frustrated. "Highness, what about me? I have no long gowns and even if I did I have no desire to wear one."

Eriana grimaced as she turned to the teenager. "It is unfortunate, Kaldara, that our journey has taken us to perhaps the one land where you may not be yourself. I regret that I have no remedy."

Ursula said, "Highness, poor Kaldara has been wearing that same dress ever since we bought it in Tobeligo. I know that we will be calling at some other places in Yod before we reach anywhere else and she cannot keep wearing the same dress all the time, so I looked around in the market and found two more day dresses for her." She shrugged. "I know that Kaldar will not be needing them once we get beyond Yod but that could be several days away and Kaldara needs a change of clothes."

Eriana nodded. "You plan ahead, Ursula, good. Kaldar, I know that it is not what you desire but do you understand why Ursula did this?"

Kaldar shrugged. "I do not like it, Highness, but I know why it is necessary. I also know that Mistress Ursula is looking for herbs to help me so I know I must needs wait until we escape the lands of Yod."

Eriana gave a faint smile. "You are more patient than I, then. You will wear one of the new dresses this evening?"

"I will, Highness." Kaldara wrinkled her nose. "They are a Yodan style, much longer than I have worn before, but the material is thin enough. It may be that such a dress will make me less noticeable."

The Princess snorted. "You know that everyone else in our party is already attired like no-one in Yod is? That fact alone may make you stand forth among our number."

"Highness, I did not think of that."

"It should be no problem, Kaldar. I do not intend for us to stay anywhere long enough for it to become obvious. Ladies, shall we change? Let us show them how those of Palarand attend their evening meals."

* * *

The effect was everything that the women had expected. The moment they reached the foot of the Women's Stair word went around and the usual hubbub in the common room hushed. From the dining room, the worthy in charge sped forth to greet them, making a low bow to Eriana.

"Your Highness! You honor us with your presence tonight."

"Rise, my good man. Aye, we thought that, as women, we desired a change tonight to more gentle attire. Do we dine in our usual chamber?"

The man bobbed and gestured. "Aye, Highness. If you would follow me, right this way. I will inform the kitchen that you are ready to dine."

"Thank you, my man."

Suddenly more servants appeared, the table was cleaned, each woman had a chair held by a servant and pushed in when they sat down. The table was laid carefully and quickly and a small vase of flowers even appeared. Then they were left alone for a short period while the food was brought from the kitchen.

Semma giggled softly. "Highness, I could become used to this."

Eriana snorted. "Aye! I am not certain what it tells us about those of Yod, though. We are the same people who ate yesterday but today, simply because we are dressed more appropriately, we are treated differently. Is it that they respect nobility? I thought the women we have seen about the city were treated poorly, was I wrong?"

She could say no more before the food arrived. It occurred to Ursula that no-one had been told what was on offer and so no-one had made any choice of foods. It seemed that the servants had brought some of everything. Platters of meats, fish, vegetables and sides were arrayed around the vase in the center of the table. A small tureen of stew was provided together with several jugs of sauces.

The worthy appeared, wringing his hands. "Highness, is everything to your satisfaction? Wait, I see no-one has considered your drinks tonight. If I may ask, what will be your pleasure this evening? I have wines from Southern Yod, or you may prefer something from Faralmark, I have several reds and whites that may go with your meals. Highness, I know that you prefer beer, I can bring that instead at your command. For the youngster, there is small beer, fruit juice or water."

Eriana ceased her inspection of the dishes and sat back. "My good man, as you know I prefer beer, it is the way of my people, but tonight I believe that I will ask for a white wine suitable for the fish I see there. If you can find me one that is not too strong, though."

The man bowed. "I know just the one to pick, Highness. And for the others?"

Bennet and Semma had a conversation with the man and chose white wines, but Ursula picked a red to go with the medium-rare gavakhan steak she had selected from the cuts on the plate. Tyra backed out and chose small beer while Kaldara settled for fruit juice.

After the man left to fetch the drinks Kaldara said to Ursula, "Mistress, I know that some my age have drunk wine at meals but my father never permitted it to us. He said that only men drank wine."

"We already knew that your father had some strange ideas," she replied. "In some lands both men and women drink, yes, boys and girls your age too. I suspect, though, that in his case the reason he didn't let any of you drink was because it meant that there was more for him to drink."

"As you say, Mistress. From what I have seen, wine can make one just as silly as beer can."

"That is so, Kaldara, and the smaller the body, the greater the effect can be. That is not to say that small people - or young people - should not drink beer or wine, it just means that they must be careful how much they drink."

Eriana paused from spooning vegetables onto her plate to add, "You should know, Kaldara, that wine and beer may not just make someone silly. For some it can give them headaches, especially the following day, and for others it can make them angry and want to fight. There are those in my father's court who would become dangerous when they had drunk so much beer."

"I will keep that in mind, Highness. Uh, it may explain some of my father's actions. Sometimes -"

The drinks appeared, brought by the man and Minna. Conversation stopped as they concentrated on their food.

* * *

Back in their chamber later Eriana cast a concerned look at Ursula. "Is there some problem, Ursula? Your Call, has it started?"

Ursula managed a smile back. "I don't think so, Highness. I think I simply ate too much this evening. I cannot remember when I have eaten such a good meal."

"As you say! As you may realize I have supped with Kings and Dukes and the meals at their tables of course were excellent, but I have also eaten in hostels and inns along the way. I believe that I will agree, this was one of the better meals I have eaten at such places."

Bennet and Semma murmured agreement. Tyra asked, "Highness, is the food here much like we will eat elsewhere?"

Eriana tilted a hand. "Some is better, Tyra, some is worse, though everywhere we have traveled so far the food has at least been acceptable. It may depend on how many are presently in residence, the availability of various foods," she shrugged, "other factors. Those who run such places as these know not to take advantage of their guests, as most will be travelers and word will soon spread far and wide. Do you remember what the head man at that village we called at said? Where was it? Whyrram's Wharf?"

"Yes, Highness, I remember. If bad word was spread then no-one would call and they had need of the coin. Thus they made sure that everyone who came went away satisfied."

"Just so, and these hostels are no different, I deem." She sat down on her bed and patted the mattress beside her. "Kaldara, if you would sit by me. We have promised you a tale and so it must be told. Make yourselves comfortable, ladies."

When everyone had found suitable places to sit Eriana turned to Ursula, who sat facing her and Kaldara.

"If you could explain your circumstances, Ursula. You will know better how to do that than I."

"Of course, Highness. Kaldara... I am only calling you that since you are wearing a dress and because we are in the women's quarters. We could be overheard, so I will keep my voice low. Can you hear me well enough?"

A serious-looking Kaldara replied, "I understand, Mistress. I can hear you plainly."

"Then I will tell you that I am from another world. Do you understand what I mean by that?"

"Mistress, I find the idea of other worlds to be disturbing. I am not sure what you mean by that."

"Why should you? Most people, going about their lives have no need to understand what must be a very strange idea. Let's start at the beginning. What do you think the world is?"

"Why... Actually, I once thought the world was the Great Valley and the river in it, but that cannot be so, can it? Water comes in one end and flows out the other, so there must be something beyond. People speak of something called Alaesia and also of something called Anmar, but I do not know what those are."

"Very well. Do you know what an island is?" A nod. "We are on a very big island, then, called Alaesia. Nobody really knows just how big it is but it might take weeks to travel from one side to the other."

"I think I understand, Mistress. But.. if we are on an island, and an island is surrounded by water... can there be so much water?"

Eriana chuckled. "Oh, yes, Kaldara! I have spent most of my life sailing on that water and it goes as far as anyone can see. It is thought that, just as it may take weeks to travel across Alaesia, it may take weeks to sail across the ocean to reach the other side. That is what we call so much water, an ocean, and the water has everything in it, so I have been told, that the rivers wash down from the mountains into it. It is salt, so we may not drink it, but many fish and other creatures live in it."

"But you said, 'the other side'. How can you get from one side of Alaesia to the other by sailing away from it?"

Eriana looked at Ursula who replied, "It is possible, Kaldara, but that is a complicated subject for another day. What is more likely is that you would reach another large island in the ocean just like the one we are on." She shrugged. "I don't think anyone has made that journey, or if they did no-one has returned to tell us what they found. The important point is that whatever is out there, it is all part of Anmar, which is what the people on Alaesia call this world."

Kaldara thought about this then nodded. "But, then, if you are not of Anmar, where else can there be?"

"You have seen the stars at night?"

"Of course, Mistress." Kaldara's eyes lit up. "Do you tell me that they are all worlds like this one?"

"We-ll, not exactly. Most of what you can see in the night sky, apart from the three moons, are stars. Each star is a sun like the one you see during the day. The reason that they just look like points of light is because they are so far away. Very far away. Some are so far away that it takes the light from them thousands of years to reach Anmar."

"They are suns? Just like ours? Maker!" She looked confused, then asked, "But if they are suns, then where are the worlds?"

"Just as Anmar goes around your sun, those other suns may have worlds going around them. The stars are so bright and so far away that it is very difficult to see any of those worlds. One of those suns, which I was told was over a thousand light-years away, has the world that I came from going around it. We call that world Earth."

"But..." Kaldara was quiet for a very long time. Then she said, "If it takes so long to get from that world to Anmar, how was it done? A thousand years! Even my father's father is only seventy years, and he looks very old. But you are not."

"I do not know how it was done, Kaldara. I have been told that it is likely that some very complicated machinery was used to transfer me."

A frown of concentration. "What is machinery?"

Eriana looked at Ursula. "I, who have seen some of the wonders that Garia and Milsy have described, find it difficult to explain machinery."

Ursula opened her mouth and closed it again. Everyone on Earth, almost, knew what machinery was because they were surrounded by it all the time. How could she explain it to someone who probably didn't know how a simple watermill operated? Finally she chose a different approach.

"It is something you will understand when you are shown some. It is not important. Just accept that I was brought here by some means that even I do not understand, but that perhaps some of your wise men might understand one day in future. Important part is that, because it is so far, they could not bring whole body across from Earth to Anmar. Inside every part of body are copies of instructions that make body. What whoever brought us did was to bring single copy of those instructions to Anmar and then use them to make new body. Apparently this can be done faster than normal way."

Another frown. "Normal way?"

Ursula gave Kaldara a smile. "You have body of girl, your body is soon to be woman, you can have baby, yes?"

"Oh-oh-oh!" Kaldara's smile was embarrassed. "Normal way. Yes, I understand."

"Yes. Then somehow, I do not know how, memories of original are added to new body. Then new body awakes, wonders where it is."

"Yes, I see. So you woke up and then..?"

"Then Her Highness and ship were sailing nearby and saw me lying on island in river. They rescued me and here I am."

Another frown. "But, before, you said that you were a man on... Earth."

"Is true. Now. When baby is made normal way, egg comes from mother and seed comes from father, yes?" A nod. "Half information comes from mother, half from father, which is why new child may have eyes of mother but hair color of father, yes?"

"I suppose so."

"But usually, it is not known if baby will be boy or girl until it is born. Reason is complicated, will teach when you are older, but there is part of information which decides if you are to be boy or girl. That part decides how to make baby, later how to grow breasts on girl, make girl's body ready for babies, grow hair on boy's face."

"Yes." She nodded. "I see now, it must be so."

"But in transfer from one world to other, sometimes something goes wrong. Maybe mistake made in copy, maybe machine does not make baby properly. But can change a man on Earth into woman on Anmar... or the other way round."

"Oh. So that is why... and why it cannot be done for me. I understand now." Kaldara added, "But you must be very clever on Earth to know all this!"

"And that is why, child," Eriana stated, "we must keep Ursula's origins a secret. If those of Yod found out where she was from they would seek to obtain that information from her and use it themselves. They would beat her as your father beat you - and possibly worse. Every person aboard the Visund knows the secret now but no other will speak of it. Shall you give me your oath?"

Kaldara slid off the bed onto her knees in front of Eriana. "Highness, I will swear never to speak of what I have been told here tonight to anyone."

Bennett said, "Heard and witnessed."

Ursula said, "Actually, that is not true, Highness. Hashim does not know my origins."

"Oh! You are right, Ursula. Kaldara, it would be best if you did not speak to anyone of these matters unless it is to one of us presently in this chamber. In future, that may change but the situation is dangerous while we are in a land like Yod."

"As you command, Highness. I will swear that."

"Heard and witnessed."

Kaldara stood and regained her seat on the bed.

"On Earth, then," Ursula explained, "I was firstly a girl in the body of a boy and then a woman in the body of a man. There it is possible to give my body the seeming of a woman but it involves cutting parts off and taking... potions, perhaps, to make breasts grow and to make my skin soft. On Earth there are the means to soften my face and remove the hair from my body a woman would not have. But it is painful, it can be dangerous and it can be costly. To go the other way can also be done but such people as us can never have children the way we would prefer to. It is not possible to make a real man from a woman's body nor a real woman from a man's body."

Kaldara considered this. "But these machines..? Is that right? They made you a real woman's body."

"That is so. Apparently I can now have babies like any other woman can. Since I never expected to be able to do that, I find the idea to be strange. But for you, situation is different. Herbs can reduce breasts, make hair grow, make body strong but cannot make penis for you nor remove womb. It is possible that herbs will prevent you from ever having babies but, I doubt anyone has made proper investigation to see what happens."

Kaldara put her hand down to her groin. "That means I will always have this and that any man may... do to me what men do to a woman."

Ursula nodded. "Is true. That is why you have to stay with us until your body has changed enough that no-one would think you are a woman. Men of Visund all sworn to Princess, will not touch you. Lord Kalmenar has honor, he will protect you also. Hashim I do not know. Better to be safe."

She was solemn. "I understand, Mistress. It is what I always wanted but I do not think I really understood the risks." She turned to Eriana. "Highness, it is very hard for me but I will do as you desire."

"That is all I ask, child. Be careful, let Ursula find herbs for you, be aware of danger as we all are."

"As you command, Highness."

"Now," Eriana said, "we have probably said enough, I deem, and it has been a busy day. If we should go down to the bath house and make ourselves ready for bed, it will probably be time to settle down for the night when we return."

* * *

Ursula lay in bed listening to the others make themselves comfortable for sleep.

A strange day.

The locals do not know what they want, most of them. The occupiers - for that is what they are, however good their intentions - squabble among themselves as well.

I just hope that the mess can be cleared up, but experience from Earth tells me that it probably will not happen the way anyone thinks it will.

The city itself is well built and well organized. Did the Ascendancy do that, or is it just the local style? Everywhere else I have been the buildings have been distinctive but different.

Much like Earth, in fact.

I did not like what happened in that Directory place. It could be the customary 'superior' male attitude or it could be something deeper. It will be better for me not to search anywhere else for herbs because questions might be asked. Let us go upriver somewhere quieter.

...And then there is Eriana! I was relieved to see her when we returned but I was surprised by her welcome.

I do not know what to think about that! I have been on Anmar barely six weeks and have made no plans for my own future. I certainly have had no time to think about some kind of... partner.

There, I have said it. Am I reading too much into a relieved hug? She certainly had cause to worry about us.

She is Captain, a Princess of somewhere far away and I do not know how long I will be on the Visund anyway. She has many demands on her time and the situation changes each time we pull into a port.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it. We are crewmates, that is all.

...Creatures brought me here. Beings, Maralin called them. They must have had some plan for me but they are not telling anyone what that is.

I am Russian. What will be will be. Let future take care of itself.

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

reading into it

No I think Ursula is reading into that hug just right, Eriana just doesn't know how to approach this situation.

Glad to see another episode

Glad to see another episode of As Anmar Turns... Wait, sorry, Voyage of the Visund.

Was there a reason for switching Ursula to Eastern European English grammar, or did it just happen because? (Russian, Ukrainian, and similar languages have no definite articles, for those who are confused. So you don't say 'the future' or 'an axe'. In this case, for example, Ursula said 'Is true' rather than "It is true". )

I would think that the automatic language translator would have 'fixed' that, for the most part. Also odd that Eriana didn't get any information from Ursula about the Yodian healers.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

On Earth she lived all over

On Earth she lived all over the northern hemisphere, and had both been taught and immersed in several languages and cultures, a significant portion of the major population centers between St Petersburg and Alberta, Canada in that time, she'd naturally pick up and interchangeably use the different grammar systems, besides it seems the translator only makes sure the definitions and intent are conveyed, and the brain starts thinking in the local language more gradually, and Ursula simply hasn't been there that long.

I was just referring to how

I was just referring to how in the other chapters, she used normal grammar.

So, this line - "I am Russian. What will be will be. Let future take care of itself." is actually a mix.

It would be "I Russian. What will be, will be. Let future take care of itself." - dropping both the 'am' and 'the'.

(Hmm, I believe Isaac Asimov was a Russian Jew. Maybe that's why the story was "I, Robot".


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Stress

As Julia mentioned, stress plays a part in this.

There is also a comprehension point here. As a writer, I didn't want to write Ursula entirely in a cod-Russian accent. The whole point of the automatic translator is that it is supposed to take whatever the subject voices and turns it into a reasonably understandable version in the local tongue - yet still be understandable to the average reader. Thus, what comes out in the text is a general, understandable and mostly-American dialogue.

Since Ursula is multi-lingual, it is reasonable to suppose that she can think in several Earth tongues. However, when she gets stressed, her thinking goes back to her native Russian and I had to try and bring that through. Dropping the articles seemed to be the logical way to do it. I don't speak much Russian, though I have a daughter-in-law who does, so I'm making this up as I go along. After all, it is fiction.

Penny

Which answers my initial

Which answers my initial question, which is why it suddenly switched from the previous dialogue. (My best friend's wife is a Russian/Ukranian Jew, and her folks have (had in one case) very heavy accents - but they use definite articles, which is interesting. I'm suspecting the years in Israel may have affected that.)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Definite articles

Bah. I missed a point, which was that d-i-l speaks English well enough that she can think in it, and she has no problem using articles in speech or writing. Years spent in the US and the UK, gaining familiarity with what is spoken around one, probably does that.

My main problem is determining when to slide Ursula into and out of that Russian speech pattern. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes wrong, sometimes nobody notices. It really isn't that important in the big scheme of things.

Penny

If it helps, for me, it's

If it helps, for me, it's when I'm really tired and stressed (or allergies). That's when the Ottawa Valley Twang comes out from childhood, which is close enough to Irish as to make no nevermind. (No, I have never, nor have any of my relatives, said 'faith and begorrah'. I don't even know what that means)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Naval concerns

I suspect its the manpower that was of greater concern than the ships themselves, I get the impression only the most heinous of criminals that don't cross the line into capital offense, don't get a choice regarding their work assignments in most valley states, galleys are infamously labor intensive, and while some of the states may have wanted to keep the captured vessels in reserve, they probably only want to have enough active vessels to patrol their own stretch of the river, having them active means they could be expected to help crew and maintain them without direct command over the vessels. It'd be prudent to install mast, sail and steam engine, on the ships, as prisoner powered warships don't align with some of the ideals for the Federation and would be impossible to manage justly when those people come from differing justice systems, with different rules regarding the treatment of convicts. That combined with several other factors, makes the captured Yoddan vessels, and any others seconded to River Command, the testing ground for how Ocean Command and other military branches specifically of the Federation, are to be managed and operated.

It has unfortunately become a modern myth……

D. Eden's picture

That all galleys were rowed by slaves. That is a misconception. Many galleys actually were crewed by free men who were paid members of the crew. Using slaves become much more common during the Roman Empire, and thanks to popular fiction (think Ben Hur as an example), most people think that is the truth for all galleys. The Norse for example did not use slaves, as is the case with Eriana’s long boat.

As to the reticence of the various military leaders to give up the galleys to Eriana, that may simply be the normal military mindset of never giving up a potential asset - or it may be more greed as ships are not cheap to build and these are considered the spoils of war. Remember, to the victors go the spoils. Throughout history, looting and such have been the norm. As recently as WW I, the victor nations believed it their right to extract reparations from the losers - which ultimately set the stage for the rise of fascism and eventually WW II.

Ursula is correct in that the various military factions are occupation troops, and the solution here may end up being a division of the country any the city into areas of influence - much as Berlin, and Germany, was split up after WW II. Although we don’t like to admit it, the US (and to a lesser extent the other allies) still have occupation troops in both Germany and Japan. We prefer to call them bases and mutual defense agreements - but face it, they are occupation troops some 75 years after the war ended.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

fair

However we are looking more at early medieval period, before cannon, type galleys, these required a lot more rowers due to their size and requisite speed, leading to some countries to have a habit of setting a really low bar of what charges would get people sent to the galleys France and Britain did this quite a lot, there was also impressment.

boot sizes

foot swelling can cause a fitted boot to be too small, lots of things can cause that, environment, food, some bodily functions, and so on. IIRC they use side laced footwear, which isn't as adjustable as top laces. add to that the steel toe itself, for them to work properly, additional space must be provided around the toe cage, not just for the metal itself, but to allow it to compress in when its impacted without crushing the toe, I don't think an armorer would make such a mistake, as that's a basic concern in armor design, but a cobbler might be ignorant to such details and only consider ergonomics, when drawing out the parts they'd need a metal worker to make. Such a mistake isn't that surprising, early protective footwear usually consisted of a metallic "over shoe" rather than being integrated into the shoe itself.

If that's the issue, its a good thing they are discovering it now, before they start considering mass produced footwear for sailors and workers alike

It would not be surprising

If Yod had it yet another uprising. Only time will tell. There may yet have to be intervention in some of their institutions.

They are Learning

BarbieLee's picture

At least the ladies didn't leave their weapons at home this time. And it became necessary to demonstrate the finer aspects of sword play. It's sad two of the ladies came out a little worse for wear and tear even if they did best their challengers. Obviously the men who challenged the ladies were no gentlemen or there wouldn't have been a duel. Seems to be a lot of those kind of men in this world. Of course this world is just a few centuries past the dark ages. Or are they?
Hugs Penny, interesting series you've spun here.
Barb
When life beats you up hands you lemons, make lemonade

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

The historic purpose of duals

The historic purpose of duals is to settle matters when two parties fail to find common ground through words, however when the issue of competency with the weapon in question was brought up there was only one way to address the issue. The other two were effectively questioning their authority to act on behalf of Palarand and the Navy, effectively accusing them of fraud, the theory being frauds wouldn't be formally trained. They should have respected the provenance but not everyone was going to, and its possible at least one of them was acting under orders, so that disputes would be handled more efficiently.

I think you may mean duels

Angharad's picture

Which is sort of satisfaction at dawn stuff, as duals would just be a pair of something.

Angharad

yeah

thanks

Usually duals are done to

Usually duals are done to provide extra support in case one of your tires blow.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.