Package Delivery – 7 Unexpectedly Soon

Printer-friendly version


Package Delivery – 7
Unexpectedly Soon


By Jessica C


=^_^=


Shelby was caught by surprise big time. The past week she had not seriously thought someone would ask her to go on a date, nor that she was open to even be with a boy for something as simple as a time together.

Shelby, her Mom, and Angie had a big discussion, though Angie wasn’t to do much of the talking. I initially said I could wait and I wasn’t interested in Gilbert, but my mother challenged me.

She said, “Something about your response tells me that isn’t exactly true. Your pupils contracted as they often do when things are not fully true.” She asked, “Is it boys in general or Gilbert Scott in particular that you’re not excited about being with?”

I was surprised by her response in being forthright about it. I was caught off-guard and said, “I am comfortable with Gilbert as a friend, but I just didn’t see something like this happening so soon.”

Mom said, “You can wait as long as you want.”

I said, “But he might not be there if I wait. I don’t know how long I’d have to wait for someone to ask me again?”

Angie looked at both of us, to be sure it was okay to speak. “If it would be bowling or a putt-putt golf game you would be not that close and it would be rather easy. If he took you to a dance at the college that would test your comfort zone.”

“When I told him tomorrow night might be too early, he did say there is a dance next Friday.”

Mom said, “Why don’t you two go for another walk and talk it through. It seems important enough to you.”

I text him yet tonight and then called Tonya and we talked. My message box beeped but I kept talking to Tonya and then Beth. It was eleven in the evening and when I checked there were two messages from Gil. The first he wanted to talk to me; the second message was that he’d pick me up at 1:15 if he didn’t receive a message back.

Angie was out on a date, so I confirmed with my mother and father that he was taking me for a walk the next day.

My father asked if Gilbert was gay? I told him about Gil being open to date a girl that he considered a friend. And that while Gil was not socially that active I was pretty sure he saw himself as being straight.

Dad suggested that I should go to church tomorrow, even if it was one where I wouldn’t be known. He said, “We’re not terribly religious, but we’re honest in our faith and with God. This is not a time to be changing that. Your mom or I would be comfortable going with you.”

It, initially, sounded strange coming from my dad, but then it goes with his notion of being simple and upfront about his faith.

There was a popular church called Grace Church some ten miles away. There were several services and the second and third services had over a thousand attending each. I agreed to go to the nine-thirty service with whomever.

It was a much bigger church than I used to attend and while there weren’t hundreds of older teens. There were more than I could count and two that actually said hello. Strangely, I felt comfortable being in church and even found myself praying, “God, I’m not religious, but I believe. I don’t expect acceptance but I need it.” The service changed, and someone said, ‘You’re accepted by God where you are.’

I looked at my mother, “Hmm, timely to hear.” She took my folded hands and squeezed them. “Is that what you were praying for?”

It was too surreal to believe, I said, “Amen” in my prayer, and put my attention to the service.

Mom said, “Amen, means ‘let it be so.’”

I said, “It’s probably a coincidence.”

Mom said, “Just like our being here. It’s okay to hope, God is love.”

Mom, dad, and I went for a late breakfast. Dad commented that I made a boy or two turn their heads. “Ewe, I’m still not impressed about that,” I said.

Mom noticed and said, “Right now, Shelby’s got more important things. She needs our support. The possibility of one boy is enough.”

=^_^=


Not sure where Gil and I would be going to talk; I borrowed a jean’s skirt of Angie’s, wore a light sweater, and a pair of flats that were more of a walking shoe. Angie was going to take me to the mall to meet Gil. But he was told by his mother he needed to pick me up at my house.

I did introduce him to my parents. The only question I permitted to ask was when I might be brought home. He mentioned a park with a historical overlook and said that he would have me home around three.

Spring had started and the trees were budding and a few flowers were blooming. I didn’t yet have a spring coat, and wearing a skirt I was chilled. Gil shared his lightweight coat and initially just held my hand. Sixty degrees felt warm for spring. When he hugged me, I was even warmer.

We had decided we would double date either with my sister and her date or Tonya and her boyfriend.

There was a surprise for me that I had thought about going to the prom, but I didn’t expect Gil to have thought of it. Gil said, “You know Tonya and I talked. She agreed with me that a guy who graduated last year is permitted to go to the prom this year.”

I quickly said, “It is too early to talk about anything like that.”

He said, “But I heard your sister told you, your mom, and Tonya that it would soon be too late to look for a good prom dress.”

I mumbled under my breath, ‘I hate my sister.’ But it wasn’t true. Since my sister had said that; I had two dreams about going to the prom.

I text Tonya about possibly double dating, and soon had a call from her. “Hi, Shelby. A date would be good and my boyfriend Travis also goes to the community college. He mentioned there’s a dance this Friday night.”

It was partially true that I didn’t know how to dance as a girl, but Tonya assured me that she and others could have me dancing well enough by Friday. My reply to Tonya was, “You have to be kidding if you expect me to go to a dance this Friday?”

Tonya giggled over the phone, “You know as well as I that you’d like to do it. You might be scared, but tell him yes! We will help you learn to dance.” She paused and then asked, “It is something you’ve dreamed of, isn’t it?”

She paused again, “I think you will need to get a good gaff before the dance.” I knew I blushed in embarrassment: something Tonya couldn’t see and that Gilbert didn’t need to know why.

I got my composure and told Gil about the possibility of going to the dance. Gil agreed readily and even suggested we get something to eat before the dance.

=^_^=


Gilbert was true to his word and we were back at my house a little before three. What I didn’t expect was him to walk me to the door saying, “I suspect, I should go in with you and explain myself to your parents.”

My father opened the door as we were just reaching it. Gil was the first to speak, “I was wondering if it would be alright to come in and tell you we’d like to go to our dance this coming Friday. I even suggested getting something to eat beforehand.”

My father invited us in and called to my mother, “Honey, come here please! It looks like our daughter has a date to go dancing.”

Gilbert sat next to me on the couch and took hold of my hand. He said, “You probably wonder about a boy who wants to date Shelby so soon after she’s come out as a girl?”

“Well, I’ve always preferred girls and three years ago when I first met Russell, I thought he was a tomboy. We’ve never been close friends, and I never told him that I first thought he was a girl. But being a friend with a girl was something I always wanted before I would date her.” He said, “As you can see, we are comfortable with each other.”

My dad was at a loss for what to say and asked Gil about sports and other things he liked. Finally, he said, “I respect, someone willing to speak up for himself. But what do you expect to come from this?”

Gil blushed, “Sir, I’m just asking her to dinner and a dance. I’m hoping it is okay, I don’t really have any expectations pass going out. I’m hoping she’s serious about wanting to be a girl.”

Mother asked me, “And Shelby what do you have to say for yourself?”

“Well, we were friends, but I never expected to be going out with him,” I said. “I’m a little bit surprised to be holding his hand in front of you. But somehow, I’m comfortable with it. I only see him as a guy and me as the girl I always imagined…”

Story to be continued…

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Loving this,

I think it is moving at exactly the right pace. Are you sure you haven't been in my head? This seems like a dream I had once.