The Voyage of the Visund -30-

Printer-friendly version

Ursula pays another visit to the clinic with Senia and Fedris, but their visit is interrupted. Later, she reluctantly accepts a gift from a former patient. On return to the Mansion, unexpected arrivals cause a certain amount of confusion.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

30 - Deliveries and Arrivals


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



After breakfast the following morning Ursula left the Dining Room with Tyra to find Senia waiting outside, deep in conversation with Fedris, the smith who had been making her new medical instruments.

"Good morning, Senia, and to you, Master Fedris."

"Good morning, Ursula," Senia said, "I trust you are well?"

She returned a smile. "I am, this morning. Master Fedris, what can I do for you today?"

The smith bowed and indicated a bag he had left propped against the side of the corridor while he talked.

"I have brought two complete sets of instruments with me... that is, the rest of one set that you already have part of, and another complete set. If you would look at them and tell me if anything has been forgotten or is amiss?"

"Yes, of course. We could go into the Small Meeting Room, I am sure that we can borrow it for that short time."

"As you wish, Mistress."

In the room the smith lifted out two cloth bundles which he placed carefully on the table. Unfolding the smaller one he revealed several sets of forceps and similar-looking tools plus a flattened tool roll.

"Mistress, these items should be the rest of your first set. I have consulted with those who know and have been provided with this cloth from which to make your tool rolls, which I am assured may be repeatedly boiled without shrinkage, distortion or discoloration. In order to do so they must needs be stitched with a thread made from the same fiber, which does not grow in the Valley but is imported from somewhere upstream."

Senia leaned forward. "If I may examine the items, Fedris?"

Fedris looked at Ursula who nodded. "Master Fedris, if these prove successful you may soon be asked to commission several sets for more of Joth's healers. Of course Senia will want to have a look."

The two women picked up and examined various items with Tyra an interested onlooker.

"How do these retractors work, Ursula? Oh, I see... these are little ratchets, then."

"That is correct. I was not sure how to arrange that, on... um, in Alberta we use a slightly different method but it depends on the stiffness of the metal. I did not know if they could do that here yet."

"Mistress," Fedris said, "now that I see how these are intended to work I could try and make some of the kind you will be familiar with. You have but to describe the mechanism to me."

"Looking at these, Master Fedris, I think these will work just as well for our purposes. Don't you agree, Senia?"

"Ursula, I could not say, not until I have used them a time or two. Fedris, if these work as intended, then they will be good enough for Joth. After all, we are not trying to copy exactly what healers may do in other lands, but to make tools fit for our own use."

"As you say, Mistress, but as you know a craftsman like myself is always trying to improve what he makes for his customers."

Senia smiled. "I intend no rebuke, Fedris. Ask me again in a year and I may have a different opinion. Now, if I may have a look at the scalpels -"

"Ah, I must needs open the other set, then. If I may tidy these away so that the sets do not become mixed together."

Fedris re-wrapped the tools and put the bundle aside on a chair seat before unwrapping the other bundle. This looked very similar except that the tool roll bulged. The smith untied the roll and opened it flat on the table.

"My! These are fine! So small and delicate-looking, but so sharp. You have tweezers and probes in here as well, I see."

Ursula said, "Tools like this are what I am used to working with, although these will fit my hand better than that kitchen knife did."

"Ah, I remember well, Ursula, and now I understand why you wanted these made. If I may lift one out?"

"Go ahead, Senia. Just... don't drop it, that's all."

Senia and Ursula examined the scalpels and discussed the uses of the different shapes. They were holding examples up at the window when the door opened and Bellot walked in.

"Oh! If you would excuse me. I did not know that this room was being used."

Ursula turned. "Only for a few moments more, Bellot. Master Fedris has just delivered some of the first sets of the tools of my profession and we were looking them over."

"As you wish, Mistress. A few moments more? Then I will ask His Grace's guests to wait until you are finished."

"Thank you, Bellot." She turned back to the table. "We had better pack up and leave. Senia, should we be doing your rounds this morning?"

"Well, perhaps. I thought that you and Tyra were still at ease?"

Ursula smiled at her. "Perhaps. Now one of these two sets is intended to go to the clinic. I'm wondering if it would be worth taking them there this morning, as we are not busy. If you are not visiting patients then you could join us."

Senia thought briefly. "Done. I do have several visits to make, it is true, but most are in that general direction anyway. Aye, I would join you, see what changes they have wrought."

"Mistresses, if I may also join you, since my own workshop is nearby and I will be returning that direction in any event."

"Of course, Master Fedris," Ursula agreed. "If you like, you can have a look at the clinic as well, see what we are doing in there."

"I must admit, I have heard rumors since the building was obtained for the healers and, as most are, I am curious to see what has been made of it. Aye, if you will have me I will join you."

"Then let's pack up and get out of here before His Grace knocks on the door instead of Bellot. Tyra, you'll have to go upstairs and fetch our bags while we wait in the corridor. Oh, and you can take this part set upstairs as well."

"As you command, Mistress."

The four tidied up and left the room, Tyra carrying the part set and setting off for the stairs. The others found a spot out of the traffic to wait.

Senia asked, "What did you do yesterday, Ursula? I thought that you intended to go to the docks."

"That's right, we did. We visited Tyra's family, who live nearby, and we looked over the Visund. Ah, just before lunch I held an unexpected clinic for many of those who were working on the dockside. I had intended to go and check over the Norsemen but everyone else noticed and I had a whole line of men with minor injuries."

The healer nodded. "Somebody usually goes down there once a week or so, Ursula. Normally, if someone gets an injury that is bad enough to need treatment they will call us from their home in the usual way. As you may realize, many of those of Joth do not trouble us for minor problems."

"I can understand that. If they do not work, they do not earn and they and their families will go hungry. Still, it was a useful exercise and I was introduced to most of those who work around there. Oh," she added, "that reminds me."

She looked around the corridor quickly before explaining, "Lord Mathenar arrived just before lunch, appearing to just want a look himself but really, I believe, wanting to take me back to the Mansion - to safety, he said. Tyra's father suggested an alternative and we put him off. Later, after our naps, when we were aboard the Visund, he appeared again! This time he appeared to be interested in the ship but I suspect that it was me he was after."

Senia looked at Ursula speculatively. "Do you think that he desires a personal relationship, Ursula?"

"I don't know, Senia. I have not been here long enough for such nonsense. But if he is going to follow me around, then..." She left the sentence hanging.

Fedris said in a low voice, "Mistresses, I would not want to appear intrusive, but -"

Ursula turned. "Any information about Lord Mathenar would be most welcome, Master Fedris. I am new to Joth, he has been away, if there is a problem I want to know about it."

"As you say, Mistress." The smith paused, thinking. "It is strange, really. He is the elder son of the Duke, of course, but yet most who reside in the city do not know much of the man. This is to be expected, he is a nobleman after all. Most of what I have heard is but rumor, I deem, and you should consider it so."

She frowned. "It appears that almost all of what anyone has heard is rumor, Master Fedris. The man himself has not been around to show us what he really is."

"Indeed. All I may say in this place," he cast his eyes around to check for eavesdroppers, "is that there are persistent rumors of... something strange in his behavior towards women, especially unattached ones."

She nodded. "That is about what I had deduced from his actions yesterday, Master Fedris. I could assume that they are just the actions of a young, vigorous man who has returned from a posting to a mainly male military setting and discovered that his home is full of unattached female visitors."

The door to the Dining Room opened and Bellot emerged, followed by Wallesan, Mathenar and two men she did not recognize but thought from their clothing might be local nobles. Wallesan nodded to the group before leading the way into the Small Meeting Room. Fanis emerged from the Dining Room moments later.

"Senia, Fedris, good morning! I trust that your affairs are in order?"

Senia curtseyed and Fedris made a bow. The healer replied, "Your Grace, I came by to discover Ursula's intentions this morning, and to discover what she may have seen and done yesterday."

Fanis turned to Ursula. "Do you go out with Senia today, then? I thought that you said that you were at ease today."

"Your Grace, both myself and Tyra will be at ease today, assuming there are no emergencies. Master Fedris has come to deliver some more tools for medical use and I thought to take a set to the new clinic. Both he and Senia would like to have a look at the new building."

"Ah, as you say. Would this be something of interest to myself or Wallesan, do you think?"

Ursula considered before nodding. "Your Grace, there will probably not be much to see most of the time and when the clinic is busy you would almost certainly not want to see what we do there. But, thinking about it, there is no reason why you should not come to have a look once we are ready to open for business, and His Grace could officially open the clinic."

Fanis smiled. "That is an excellent thought, Ursula. If you could give us three or four days warning of when you would desire us to attend, I will make sure that my husband finds time to open the clinic for you. I know that it will be an important new facility for Joth," she rolled her eyes, "among so many new things that we are expecting in the future."

"Thank you, Your Grace. I'll let you know just as soon as the craftsmen can give me a date."

Fanis snorted. "Craftsmen, pah! I still have not gotten a date out of them for finishing the Great Hall, even though we are now using it. It seems that there is always some little thing more to do."

Ursula smiled. "I know the type, Your Grace. I will use my own judgment as to when the clinic will be finished enough for you and the Duke to attend."

"Good. And now I must be away, I deem." The Duchess rolled her eyes again. "There is some dispute among the dyers of silk which apparently only I may resolve. By your leave?"

They all curtseyed and bowed as Fanis moved off. Tyra appeared then with a bag over her shoulder and carrying Ursula's basket. Behind Tyra, Ursula spotted a small girl stop and speak to one of the sentries at the entrance. He took something from her, gave it to a waiting footman and pointed to the group. The footman came towards them and handed a piece of folded parchment to Ursula.

"Mistress, a note for you. A word in reply is expected, if you can give one."

She turned and saw the girl waiting in the doorway. "Give me a moment, then."

The note was brief and just about readable to Ursula. The contents were unexpected but not exactly a surprise.

She told the footman, "We are just leaving the Mansion, as it happens, so I can tell the girl myself."

The group, trailed by the footman, walked to the entrance. Ursula gave the note back to the girl.

"Are you by any chance one of Master Putto's children?"

The girl curtseyed nervously. "If it please you, Mistress, I am from the house next door. I have an errand for my mother in this part of the city and Master Putto learned that I would pass the Mansion by."

"Ah, I see. Well, tell Master Putto that I am going out and that I will call by his house on my way back here, probably just before lunch."

Tyra added, "Mistress, about a bell before noon."

The girl gave Tyra a quick glance and curtseyed to Ursula again. "As you command, Mistress."

She turned, ran down the steps into the courtyard, and was instantly gone.

Ursula remarked, "The day has hardly begun and already full of incident! Perhaps we'd better be going before anyone else arrives."

Out in the courtyard the air was cooler and fresher. Overhead, the sky was deep blue but lines of small fluffy white clouds marched across it.

"Ah! That's better!" Senia remarked. "The heat is nice occasionally but not for so long, I deem. This is more what we expect for spring weather, Ursula. Much more comfortable, especially if one spends the day walking the city to visit patients."

"I did wonder. Of course I have no idea what the normal climate of Joth is like, but I have heard enough people complaining about the heat to understand that it isn't typical. Is the weather today typical?"

"Aye, most years. Sometimes a little wetter, sometimes drier, but mostly like this."

"Mistress," Fedris offered, "you should know that most days, when the sky is as you see it, the clouds will slowly build and there will be a brief shower of rain early each afternoon. This rain will be essential to our farmers to bring their crops to full fruitfulness. It is also another reason why we tend to nap during the spring and summer months, to stay out of the showers."

"I see. Useful to know."

The streets of Joth were busy and many of those they passed recognized Senia, Ursula or Fedris and waved or called greetings. Like the previous day, their route would go directly to the clinic and so Ursula remembered the turns as Tyra led them. Once they reached Sabbar Street they found it full of wagons delivering raw materials to a number of the establishments. It took a moment or two to make their way through the traffic to reach the door to the clinic.

Inside it was shadowed and cool. The carriage still remained but had been moved right to the back, to make room for men to work out of the bright sun. On the other side at the back were a stack of thin planks and sacks of some other materials. There were several trestles scattered around and across two of them what Ursula took to be an apprentice was sawing a length of wood. He looked up as they entered.

"Mistress, if you seek Master Follan, he is upstairs with the others." He blushed. "Of course there is no stairs here but only ramps. Master Follan is above."

She smiled to reduce the embarrassment. "We all say 'upstairs' when we refer to the floor above. I would guess that only buildings like this have ramps."

The young man ducked his head. "As you say, Mistress."

They climbed the ramp to the landing. Instead of the completely open space that had existed the previous day there were men erecting partitions of thin wood slats on either side of a central corridor. At the front they could hear people speaking, so turned in that direction.

There was a wide space here, letting in plenty of light across the width of the building. Four men stood at a small temporary table discussing a floor plan drawn on parchment. They looked up as the group approached.

"Mistress Ursula, Mistress Senia, welcome! Fedris, welcome, and to you also, Tyra. Is this another social visit or was there something we could do for you?"

Ursula explained, "Good morning, Master Follan. Master Fedris has been making some tools of my trade and this morning he brought two sets to the Mansion. One is intended for me to keep but the other should be kept here for emergencies. Both Senia and Master Fedris wanted to have a look at the clinic, so I thought we could all come and see what progress has been made."

Follan raised an eyebrow. "Since yesterday? I recall that much of the remaining wood was delivered just after you departed so, as you may have seen, we have made a start on the partitions on this floor. Are you certain that you did not want them to have either front walls or doors? It seems like an odd arrangement to me, if I may say so."

She frowned. "I thought I explained this? In each partition there will be a bed for any patients who are too ill to walk around, Master Follan, and for the rest to use at night. Since many of the patients may be very ill it is essential that anyone walking past can see at a glance if they need help of some kind. In addition, though the partitions are designed to cut down the noise and give the patients a little privacy, we did not want to completely isolate them. They can see other patients across the corridor and perhaps talk to them."

"Ah, this was not made clear, Mistress." He nodded. "It means less wood to shape and fit and thus saves coin. I can see that it will also permit extra light to those who are in the deeper partitions."

A craftsman joined them from below carrying a long tool bag. He looked at the two groups.

"Good morning. Good morning, Mistresses. Which of you is Follan, if I may ask? Jerrat, pipesman, come to install a fresh water supply to this -" he looked around with interest, "- unusual weaving loft."

"I am Follan," the carpenter said, stretching forward for the traditional handshake. "This is no longer a weaving loft but will become a new kind of place for healers to deal with serious injuries and the like. If I may introduce Healer Senia and Healer Ursula, who have commissioned the conversion by instruction from His Grace."

"Do you tell me?" The plumber looked around again. "That may explain the unusual nature of the instructions that I received." He turned to the group. "Mistress Senia, of course I know you, you attended my elder son last fall. Mistress Ursula? I have heard the name, of course, and your good works, but this is the first time that our paths have crossed." He turned and nodded to the smith. "Fedris, good morning."

Senia explained, "I am assuming that we will require fresh water here and on the floor above, Master Jerrat. Our craft requires continuous supplies of water for cleaning wounds and, I deem, feeding ourselves and our patients, who may remain here some days until they are well enough to return home."

Follan added, "Aye, the healer has explained it well. If you would join us at the table, I will explain our thoughts on pipe runs and the like." He started and turned. "Oh! Mistress Ursula, Mistress Senia, of course I must needs attend you as well."

Ursula said, "There is no need for anyone to accompany us, Master Follan. We will just have a look... above... if it will not get in anybody's way."

The carpenter bowed. "As you wish, Mistress. Ah, you spoke of a... tool kit, was it?"

"I did, Master Follan. Looking around, I suppose that there is nowhere to safely leave it yet, is there?"

"I regret not, Mistress. Bedding and other furniture will not arrive until we have almost finished the work on this floor, that will include any tables, chairs, cupboards and shelving you may have ordered."

Senia and Ursula looked at one another. "Oh, dear," Senia said. "We have forgotten to order any furniture, and I know that there is a long line of people waiting for new furniture to replace what was lost to the invaders."

Follan agreed. "As you say, Mistress. Even these many months after we had our city back all has not yet been restored." He smiled. "However, it may be that we can obtain sufficient to allow you to begin using the building. It will make no sense for us to complete the work and for it then to remain idle for want of furniture."

Senia was horrified. "Master Follan! Though the new clinic will become important to Joth we have managed without for long enough. I would not approve of you obtaining furniture destined for more deserving residents of the city, many who still have almost nothing."

Follan spread his hands. "Mistress, I did not say that I would, or could, do that. I would not think of depriving others in need. No, there may be other ways to provide what is needed here."

"Well. Perhaps I should not pry so deeply into what is another's business. If we may go above?"

"Of course, Mistress."

Senia, Ursula, Tyra and Fedris turned to ascend the upward ramp, their existence already forgotten by the craftsmen, who had wandered off towards the table and drawings with barely a nod in their direction.

"About the toolkit, Mistress," Fedris said to Ursula as they climbed. "The solution is relatively simple, I deem. My dwelling and workshop is but four casts from here, in Narakh Lane yonder. I had not realized that this new place of yours would be so close. I will keep the toolkit there until it is required, Tyra knows where I live and can ask or send for it at need. If that would be satisfactory to you?"

Ursula was surprised. "Well, I suppose that it will, Master Fedris. Thank you for the offer."

On the landing at the top a craftsman and two apprentices were varnishing the doors of two of the smaller rooms. They stopped when the group appeared.

"Mistress? If I may help?"

"I am Healer Ursula and this is Healer Senia," she explained. "I am showing Senia around so that she can see how the work is progressing. Oh, this is my maid Tyra and this is Master Fedris who is making some of the instruments we will be using when the clinic opens."

The craftsman nodded. "Fedris. Tyra. Mistresses, if I may warn you that some of the doors are still wet. You may safely touch the handles to move them out of your way, though, I would not want you to get varnish on your dresses."

"Thank you for the warning, Master..?"

The man bowed. "Master Varnisher Hobbard at your services, Mistress."

"We'll try to keep out of your way. We know this is still a construction site."

"As you say, Mistress."

Ursula led them through to the back. "This will be the Operating Theater, Senia."

"Operating... theater..? These are new words I must learn, it seems. They are called thus on..." Senia remembered Fedris did not know Ursula's true origins, "...ah, where you came from?"

"They do. I believe that the term dates from a time when..." Ursula trailed off in confusion.

They called those places theaters because operations were once spectacles that anyone could pay to watch, conducted in a pit with people overlooking all around.

Like a regular theater, in fact, but it has not occurred to me until now that I don't know if Joth, or anywhere else for that matter, has anything resembling acting!

"Never mind. It occurs to me that it might be too complicated to explain right now. Senia, if you want to call this place by some other name, I would not object."

"Not at all, Ursula! The words are good, we just have to remember them. This is something new to Joth, I deem, so it is fitting that new words should describe it." Senia turned, looking at the way the chamber had been laid out. "I like the big windows, and the chandeliers. This room should be easy to clean, too, with all these well-fitted tiles. This would have been a better place to operate on poor Mamoot, would it not?"

"Chicken and egg, Senia." At the other's look she amended, "Er, avian and egg. Until Mamoot's problem arose we did not know that a place like this would be needed."

"As you say, Ursula, but already I can think of other occasions when such a chamber as this would have been useful. If we may look at the other rooms up here, and you may tell me what use we may make of them."

"Of course."

Fedris spoke up. "Mistress? This is the chamber you will be using the toolkit in?"

"I would think so, Master Fedris. Almost all of them, anyway. There will probably be some cupboards mounted on the walls over there, or perhaps on that wall, where we can reach them easily."

The smith nodded. "If you will permit me, I will find and instruct a joiner who may be able to make something suitable for you." He smiled. "It always helps if you know what the cupboards will be used for, and I can so inform him." He added, "I assume that you will need other cupboards, since... the use of the tools... will produce a lot of blood."

"Yes, of course. We'll need bandages, dressings, towels for mopping up, many other things. We'll be wearing special clothes, too, which will look a little like these ship dresses we are wearing now, but we'll probably store them in one of the other rooms along the landing."

Another nod. "Cupboards, probably shelves as well. And I can guess that you will not know exactly what you want until you have been using this place for some time?"

"That's true, Master Fedris. But I do not want to distract you from your normal work."

"It is a slight distraction, but I may be asked to make, for example, hinges and catches for your cupboards so I will probably become involved, especially since I reside so near. I will of course know all those who will make the items anyway."

It is a small city. Of course all the craftsmen are going to know one another.

She nodded. "Then I accept your offer once more, Master Fedris. Perhaps we can have a look at the other rooms along here?"

Senia agreed. "Aye, I would like to see how you desire to lay this building out, Ursula. This is very interesting, it promises to change the way we conduct healing in Joth, and greatly for the better."

"Then we should join the varnishers. The rooms around the landing will be mostly used as store-rooms or places where healers will go." Ursula turned. "This way."

* * *

They had returned to the front of the middle floor which held the table, with the plans still laid out on top. Of the craftsmen there was no sign, though sounds of speech could be heard below and from outside.

"And you will call this your Day Room?"

"I think so. The rooms behind will be for recovering patients but those who can move around could sit in here, it would be more comfortable. You saw that little bedroom in the Mansion where Mamoot was?"

"I did, but it is not unusual in Joth for bedchambers to be small, especially where single men and women are concerned. Ah, so you will have chairs and low tables here, then, for those recovering to relax and talk amongst themselves."

"That was the idea, yes. What do you think?"

Senia looked around. "An interesting idea, I deem. We often find that our patients are stuck in bedrooms, away from their families, and with little to do - not that some of them should be doing anything while they are yet ill, but you know what I mean. A chamber like this will certainly be an improvement."

There was a disturbance outside. Tyra walked to the window to find out what was going on. She turned around quickly.

"Mistress, Lord Mathenar approaches in his carriage."

Ursula scowled. "What does he want? If he is after me then he has chosen the wrong person for his attentions."

Fedris spoke up. "Mistress? You desire to avoid meeting him?"

"Yes! That man has been following me around, pretending to want to see the same things I want to see."

The smith's expression was eloquent. "I have heard... rumors of his activities, but of course we know little of his true nature. Mistress, there is a back way out of here, if you would follow me."

Ursula looked at Senia. "It is probably time we moved on in any case, Senia. Do you want to come with us?"

"Surely. He may not be interested in an old woman like me but he will ask questions I do not desire to answer. Fedris, lead the way."

"But how do we get out?" Ursula asked. "If we go down the ramp he'll see us."

Fedris smiled. "Mistress, we will not be going down the ramp. At the back of this level, on every property, is a door leading to a narrow balcony with stairs at various points. It is a precaution against fire, and for other reasons. Please, follow me."

Since the ramps were designed to bring materials directly to upper levels from reception it meant that they had to quickly go past the upper ramp and towards the back of the building, underneath the Operating Theater, before they were spotted from below. There they found five of the younger joiners standing around a small temporary table drinking pel. These straightened nervously as the group appeared. Fedris spoke to them.

"Quietly now, lads. A visitor arrives whom the Mistress does not desire to meet." He did not specify which Mistress. "We were never here, understand? We left earlier."

One of the lads craned his neck to look down the lower ramp, from which voices could now be heard. He turned back and nodded.

"As you command, Master Fedris," he said softly. "We will attend the door."

Fedris smiled. "Thank you."

A single door, like that in the house of Tyra's family, led out onto a narrow balcony which ran the length of the block. There were stairs set at every second property which descended to an access alley between the weaving lofts and the smaller properties behind. Fedris led them along to the adjacent stairway and gestured.

"If you would go down, Mistresses. Once we are under the balcony we will be harder to notice."

Once in the alley Fedris turned away from the direction Ursula expected him to take and instead led the party towards the city wall. Down here, further doors led into the ground floors of each property and there were also privies set against the buildings. The women all followed quietly. Once they reached the street at the end he paused long enough for Senia to ask a question.

"Fedris, why come this way? You said you lived but four casts yonder, yet we have come in the other direction!"

"We were too close to the avenue that leads to the docks, Mistress. If we had gone that way, we would likely have been seen as we crossed the end of Sabbar Street, but if we go this way we will cross the other end of Sabbar Street hidden by all the delivery wagons and I do not think we should be noticed. We can then go along Foti Lane and make our way to my workshop... unless you have other suggestions?"

Senia looked at Ursula, who nodded. "That's fine with me, Senia. Let's go before he discovers we are not there and begins a search."

The healer regarded Ursula thoughtfully. "You have done this before, have you not? A tale, I deem, for another day. Aye, Fedris, lead on."

In Foti Lane came the inevitable encounter. A small child was hanging from the balcony by his fingertips.

"Tyra! Mistress!" The four year old stared at Senia and Fedris.

Tyra exclaimed, "Oh, not you again, Teen. What are you up to today?"

"We're playing catch..." The child caught Ursula's eye and dried up.

"We're doing something important," Tyra told him. "We cannot stop today as I might have liked. Don't let us stop you from playing."

Teen stuck his tongue out at his big sister and then dropped lightly the three strides to the ground, immediately swarming up one of the columns of rungs set in the support posts to see if he had been spotted. The group moved on, trying to ignore shrieks, laughter and children hanging over their heads.

At the end Fedris did a quick check and led them across the broad road which went through the dock gates on their right before continuing into another lane opposite. This one was lined both sides with warehouses, some of which were open. Part way along this lane an alley led off right and Fedris went along here between two warehouses to a parallel lane where he relaxed.

"My house and workshop are just here, Mistresses. If I may show you and Tyra where I will keep your toolkit."

Across the lane was a row of houses which bore some similarities to both the fishermen's houses in Foti Lane and the Weaving lofts in Sabbar Street. Fedris led them into the ground floor of one of these, saying, "Welcome to my house and workplace." The space was empty apart from a stack of curious, flat constructions which seemed like giant, low drawers or trays. Instead of a ramp there was a wide, open staircase and Fedris headed for this. Above could be heard talking, which quietened as the group appeared.

"Master, you have returned. Ah, with guests!"

It was a workshop, set at the rear of the property, with two small forges and a number of benches at which three men were working. All stopped when the master of the house appeared.

"Aye, Herro, I have. Here is Healer Senia, whom you already know, and with her today are Healer Ursula and her maid Tyra, whom you also all know. It was for Mistress Ursula that I was making that special toolkit you were interested in."

Herro gave a brief bow and then looked worried. "Master, you have brought her here, is there some flaw with the work?"

Fedris smiled. "Indeed not, Herro. Mistress Ursula informs me that one set of tools will be kept with her at the Mansion and the other should be placed in the new clinic they are building in Sabbar Street. As they have not yet finished converting the building, I thought it best if the tools were kept here against need. Note you all, any one of these three may call for the tools when they are required. I shall put them here, on this shelf, where all might find them."

One of the others said, "Sabbar Street, that is the new work they are doing there? What is... a clinic, Master?"

Fedris turned to Ursula who replied, "A clinic is a place where healers will be able to do things that might not be easy to do in the home of a patient. If somebody has a serious injury, we can treat them there and not worry about infection or mess. They can stay there until they recover enough to go home."

The young man, probably an apprentice, looked pale. "Serious injury, Mistress?"

Ursula shook her head. "I will not describe all we might do but you can probably guess. Amputations, maybe. Removing objects from bodies... suppose you were using a chisel and it slipped and went into your arm. We would carefully remove it and clean the wound before sewing it up." She shrugged. "We will not know what will be needed until patients arrive."

They were all pale, now. The apprentice said, "As you say, Mistress."

Senia told them, "I approve of the tools Fedris brought. Know you all that more sets may be ordered in future days, though probably not right away."

Fedris said, "It is well, Mistress, since we have plenty of work to keep us busy. When you come with your orders, we shall be ready."

"Then, by your leave, I must be going," she said. "I have patients to visit nearby. Ursula, what will you do now?"

Ursula looked at Tyra, who shrugged. "We'll probably return to the Mansion by a different route," she said eventually. Both Senia and Fedris knew why. "Why do you ask?"

"I wondered if you would need my presence this afternoon, that is all." Again, the unspoken reason for her presence was understood by all.

"I have been told that we'll be going out for a ride this afternoon. Captain Hambran thinks that Tyra is ready for a proper ride into the country, though he does not think that we'll be doing anything too difficult."

"Ah, I see. Then I'll see you tomorrow morning, perhaps?"

"Of course."

Senia nodded to Fedris before turning and going down the stairs. The smith then turned to Ursula.

"Mistress, both you and your maid are riding this afternoon?"

"So it would seem, Master Fedris. Does that... upset you?"

"Not me, Mistress, though I know of some who think it unseemly. I know that His Grace has brought back new ideas and other wonders from Palarand and I suppose that we will all become used to new sights about our streets."

"As you say. Well, Tyra and I had better be on our way. We don't want to interrupt you and your team."

"Indeed, Mistress. Call for me again when you have further needs I may be able to supply."

"I'll do that."

Outside, Tyra turned to Ursula. "Mistress, if we want to avoid Lord Mathenar, then I suggest that we go this way. It will bring us out near -"

* * *

"Mistress Ursula! Good day to you, and to you also, Tyra."

Putto put down his chisel and stood from where he had been working at his lathe.

"Good morning, Master Putto. How is your arm?"

"It is well healed now, Mistress."

Putto held out his left arm, showing a thin red scar running along the forearm.

"That looks well mended. Have you had any more trouble with those... what did you call them?"

"Mistress? Oh, the labris, you mean? No, nothing since. I reported the matter to those concerned and they came and investigated but found nothing obvious."

"They have probably moved on, then. Did you send me a message this morning?"

"I did, Mistress." He looked embarrassed. "For your expertise, and your kindness, I have made a gift for you. Knowing of your interest in the musical instruments that I make, I thought to provide you with an example that you may practice your craft - your other craft, that is. You did say that it had been some time since you last played, perhaps I may help you restore your abilities by offering one of Joth's instruments."

It was Ursula's turn to be embarrassed. "Master Putto, you should not have. My craft is healing and I want no reward for doing what I can to help people with problems."

Putto moved to the side bench, where the instruments had been. "Mistress, I spend much of my time at my lathe and sometimes it is necessary for me to stop and relax with a tune or two, give my mind a different focus. I know that the healer's art can be a busy and unpleasant one at times, let me offer you a way to relax when you can find a moment or two. Music can sooth many demands on the mind, I deem."

"I am forced to agree, Master Putto."

He handed her a wooden cylinder, finely made with a coat of varnish to protect it. One end was flat, she saw, but the other contained a plug which was held on by cords that formed a short lanyard. She worked the plug out to find one of the recorder-like instruments she had tried before. She pulled it out, handing the container to Tyra.

"This is a fine instrument. What did you say it was called again?"

"It is a farb, Mistress. Shall you try it?"

Ursula put the farb to her mouth and blew gently. Tyra's eyes were round as she watched Ursula run up and down a scale, familiarizing herself with the instrument and its tones. She lowered the farb.

"I am tempted to take it, Master Putto. Learning to play a tune on it will remind me of my past."

The part of my past that I have no problem with. What would have become of me if I had not already chosen to go into medicine? Would I now be playing in an orchestra somewhere?

"Then please accept this as my gift to you, Mistress. Tyra, the case, if you would."

"Of course, Master Putto."

* * *

They arrived at the Mansion to find the front courtyard bustling with activity - and guards at the entrance arch, something Ursula had not seen before. Inside were several wagons and many men in traveling clothes, together with assorted dranakh and frayen. Her eye noted that the saddles were all of the new type, which brought the natural conclusion.

"I think these men and wagons may have come from Palarand," she said to Tyra.

The maid nodded. "Aye, I agree. The styles of attire are slightly different there than in Joth, even for the men. Doubtless we will discover all shortly, Mistress, since their presence in this yard means that they must have been invited by His Grace. If we may go to your chamber, you can refresh yourself and perhaps make ready to greet His Grace's guests."

"Oh, does that mean I'll have to dress up?"

Tyra thought. "I do not think so, not now, Mistress, but perhaps for the evening meal. I will ask Bellot what may be intended."

"Let's go, then, and get out of their way."

They threaded their way through the seeming chaos and reached the front entrance. A nod from the sentry and they were let in. Standing in the corridor were a group which contained Duke and Duchess as well as some of the travelers. Wallesan saw them enter and held up a hand to the group.

"A moment, friends, by your leave. If I may have a word with one of my other guests."

He joined them at the bottom of the stairs. "Ursula, I trust your morning's business was satisfactory?"

"It was, Your Grace. I see that you have more visitors."

"Indeed, though most will be found billets elsewhere in the city." He smiled. "The Mansion has space for guests, indeed, but not so many as have come from Palarand today. If I may leave the introductions until later? As you may see there is much to arrange. Oh, I understand that you and Tyra are going riding this afternoon with Eriana."

Ursula did not know how to respond to this. If I stay, then I don't have to ride, but then there will be all these people around. If I go, then at least I'll be out of everybody's way - and they will be out of mine.

Unless Eriana has decided that she doesn't want to go, if all these people are from Palarand?

"Your Grace?"

He held up a placating hand. "Do not worry, Eriana wants to ride. In truth, I do not think the business of the guildsmen of Palarand interests her very much. So you may go and take yourself and your maid away from the fuss and confusion which," he rolled his eyes, "will undoubtedly occupy the Mansion for much of the afternoon.

"No, what I wished to tell you is that my sons have become interested in the new saddles and ways of managing frayen, so both will be joining your ride this afternoon."

up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I wonder which guilds and

I wonder which guilds and crafts sent representatives, steam, paper and printing obviously, plumbing because of why Maralin went there in the first place, someone whom can help get Joth on the way to mechanizing their industry, clock makers possibly, there aren't that many of the electrical engineers available, not counting those involved in welding experiments, there may only be 3, one of which would be in Blackstone at this point, they might have decided it important to try and send Milsy to prove a point... Some of the guild representatives will also have to be able to continue on with Eriana as they have undoubtedly realized that everywhere else they sent the gifts has the same problem of no one being available who knows how to operate them.

Well so much for a relaxing

Well so much for a relaxing ride to relieve some stress, what with the one person she has been trying to avoid tagging along.
The way he acts makes me wonder if he grew up around Duke Jarwin.

He's persistent but not

He's persistent but not predatory, he will also be at a disadvantage during the ride, there will be 4 women with swords, and he'll be on saddle he isn't used to, on terrain that isn't as well paved

humor

Please pardon my humor.

When Jerrat asked who Follan was it could have been fun to have Ursula claim to be Fallon and watch Jerrat's expression of surprise. It would likely take Master Fallon a few minutes to compose himself from laughing hard.

Excellent chapter.

dodging a persistant suitor

he's not one to give up easily, it seems. But he has not done anything so objectionable that she needs to take steps ... yet

DogSig.png

Well, that's a fine kettle of fish

BarbieLee's picture

Ursula just can't get a break from Mathenar's attentions since his return from battle. I use battle loosely since that wasn't exactly what he was doing from the rumors which followed him home. I'm guessing her highness Eriana will probably be a litigator of the situation making sure it doesn't get out of hand since she knows Ursula has a history a lot like Princess Gara?
Men, wagons from Paraland? Telescopes, mirrors, printing press?

Soft easy flow to the story Penny.
hugs
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

medical instruments

Don't the medical instruments need to be drawn and registered?

Like Noxious Sticky Stuff

joannebarbarella's picture

To a blanket. Ursula just can't get away from Mathenar.

They also have problems with bloody sub-contractors in Joth. Nothing ever gets finished on time.

Seems to me

the issue of the stalker (forgot his name) is coming to a head.

Strong message needs delivered

Jamie Lee's picture

Everyone, so far has welcomed the healers openly. The one too accepting, Mathenar, needs a special message delivered to him about unwanted attention. A message delivered by a 2x4. Men like him think highly of themselves and very little of others. And can't understand why others avoid such a fine specimen of a man.

Others have feelings too.