The Voyage of the Visund -24-

Printer-friendly version

Having been suddenly presented with a servant by Fanis, Ursula struggles to adapt. The afternoon is beset by domestic issues - and interruptions. After the evening meal, Eriana's party returns but the Princess's reaction to Tyra is... strange.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

24 - The Unexpected Maid


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2019 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Mistress!"

The sound penetrated Ursula's dream and she struggled back into wakefulness. She opened her eyes to find an anxious Tyra standing over her. The fact that the girl was in her suite at all penetrated and that brought her back to full alertness.

"Tyra? What are you doing in here?"

"Mistress, it is my place now. I apologize for interrupting your nap but there is someone who requests an audience with you, he waits downstairs."

Ursula frowned as her brain tried to function. "Someone... wants to speak... with me?"

"Oh, aye!" Tyra smiled. "It is Master Fedris, who I know well. He is a smith who resides down near the docks and he informs me that you gave him a commission some days ago."

"Master Fedris... of course. He is right, Tyra, I must go down and see him."

Ursula swung herself off the bed and stretched to revive her muscles. It was still hot, but some cloud had made the afternoon feel less uncomfortable than on previous days. Her day dress, however, was warmer than the ship dresses she had been wearing almost exclusively since they had been delivered and she felt overdressed.

"Oh! Mistress, if I may adjust your laces."

Ursula stood patiently as Tyra tied off the laces and then tugged her skirt straight.

"Are you supposed to do all this? Bennet did not do this much for me."

Tyra stepped back. "I do not really know, Mistress. I have only ever watched Her Grace's ladies about their duties, no-one has ever given me instruction how to do such things myself. Am I doing wrong, Mistress? Is it too much or too little?"

"As I have never ever had a maid before, Tyra, I cannot answer that. I do not know how noble ladies are served, and I am not one myself, just a guest in His Graces' Mansion." Ursula turned to face the girl. "I am used to doing everything by myself and, since coming to Joth, I am having to adjust to letting others help me. It is no fault of yours that I do not know what is expected, nor what help you wish to give."

"As you say, Mistress. But, as you discovered this morning, there are things that every woman will find difficult to do on her own." Tyra cocked her head with a thought. "If I may ask, I would be interested to find out how you did do such things on your own, before coming to Joth."

Ursula opened her mouth to explain but then realized what she would have to explain.

If I am going to be stuck with her, then she'll have to be told the truth. All of it.

Which will mean... getting the Duke's permission, I suppose.

"That is something we'll have to speak about later, I think. For now, let us go down and find out why Master Fedris is here."

"As you wish, Mistress."

Downstairs in the Small Meeting Room Fedris bowed to Ursula and gave Tyra a nod and a smile.

"Mistress, though I have not finished everything you have asked for, I thought it prudent to bring you some of the items I have already made, since I understand that you will never know when you might have need of them."

He laid a cloth roll on the table, opening it to show a collection of scalpels plus samples of two different forceps designs. Ursula leaned over to look.

"May I pick these up?"

"Surely, Mistress."

The scalpels were all made from a single piece of metal, carefully shaped with the blade ground to a sharp edge. She took one to the window, feeling how it fit in her hand, and examined it closely.

"These are a good fit, Master Fedris. They are sized about right for my hand. Do you -" She turned and walked back to the table. "Ah, I see you have done the different blade shapes I asked for."

"Aye, Mistress, that was easy enough. Since these are so simple to make, I asked one of my journeymen to make them once I had shaped the first one. That is why I am able to bring so many for you today."

"That's good." Her nose wrinkled. "Now all I have to do is to figure out some way to carry them without them cutting a hole in whatever I use."

"A good point, Mistress. It is possible that tiny scabbards could be used but they would be fiddly to make and sew."

Ursula pointed. "I think what I need is something like your cloth roll. If there were to be... tubes, perhaps, tiny scabbards, sewed into one side of the roll, then the handles can be held in the roll rather than the blade."

Fedris brightened. "A clever idea, Mistress! Aye, that would do, I deem. Oh, and the same roll would hold your other tools as well?"

Ursula shook her head. "Some of them, perhaps, for going out on emergency cases, but the retractors and saws would probably not, nor would I consider taking more than one each of these forceps. The bigger items would be kept in a place where we would do those operations I described."

Fedris shuddered. "I should be used to what you described, Mistress, since the recent war, but to cut open a living body is a thought I do not find comfortable. However, I can ask Matenar to fashion a tool roll for those items you would be carrying, if that would be acceptable?"

"A tool roll, yes please. Would that be made from cloth or leather?"

"Why, Mistress, I had not considered that far. Leather of course would be more durable, but there must be some reason why you make mention of a choice."

"Only that it will have to be kept clean and that will probably mean boiling it regularly. I'm not sure how leather would stand up to treatment like that."

"Boiling? Why, leather would gradually harden, Mistress. It is by boiling leather parts that the Armorers make armor for His Grace's men, though that would be much thicker material, of course." The smith considered. "If you would give me leave, Mistress, to ask about, there may be other materials which could be of service."

"Of course. I am in no real rush for any of this, but having suitable scalpels, plus a pair of forceps, means that I will be better prepared when the next emergency happens."

"As you say, Mistress. Therefore, if you have no complaints about the work, I will leave these tools with you and return to my workshop to make some more. If you find anything amiss you can always send a message - or mayhap Tyra can come and tell me."

"I'll do that. You know Tyra?"

"Of course. Her family and mine reside in Narakh Lane, near the docks. She ran the streets with my own sons and daughters before Her Grace offered her a position here."

"Oh, I see. Well, it seems that Her Grace has made Tyra my very own ladies' maid, Master Fedris, which is why she is with me now."

"Do you tell me? My congratulations to you, Tyra. I always knew that you were destined for better things."

Tyra curtseyed to Fedris, which amused him. "Thank you, Master Fedris," she said, trying to be formal. "But I am newly promoted and yet to learn my duties. If you would inform Mama and Papa? I would be grateful."

"I'll do that for you, Tyra, and I'm sure that you will prosper in your new position." Fedris turned to Ursula and straightened. "If there is anything else, Mistress?"

"Nothing I can think of, Master Fedris. I won't keep you from your work any longer."

The smith bowed and left the room. Ursula gazed at the closed door, musing.

This is a strange world. In Russia, if you want someone to do something, you just ask them. Or tell them. Here, you have to play with words to get something done without seeming too overbearing or insulting them.

It is just as well that the translating mechanism smooths out a lot of what I say or I would be in some trouble by now!

Ursula looked at Tyra. "Do you know what His Grace is doing at the moment? I think we need to have a word with him before we spend much more time together."

"Mistress?"

"It is about those secrets I mentioned. I do not see how you can be my maid without learning the truth and... some of the truth you may find hard to believe. So hard, in fact, that His Grace asks everyone who knows to take an oath, so that rumors do not start running around the city."

Tyra's eyes were round. "Mistress? I did not know!"

"Naturally, since it is a secret. Now, how do we go about finding His Grace?"

"I'll go and ask Bellot, of course," Tyra said positively. "He must know what His Grace is presently doing and therefore where he must be."

"That sounds like a reasonable idea. So, where is Bellot?"

That stumped Tyra, so she led the way out into the downstairs corridor. A quick search revealed that almost every room was empty, with only a kitchen servant attending to minor matters in the Dining Room. Tyra turned and went all the way to the end, turning into the antechamber where the dinner service was kept.

"Oh, Turis! Do you know where we might find the Duke? Mistress Ursula must needs speak with him."

Turis pointed a finger in the direction they had entered. "His Grace is yonder, in the Great Hall, with Her Grace and some number of nobles of the land. I do not think it would be wise to interrupt whatever they are about."

Tyra looked at Ursula, who shook her head. "I agree. What I have to ask should not be mentioned in public, for several reasons." Ursula turned to the kitchen worker. "Do you know if Bellot is in there as well?"

"Aye, Mistress, of course."

"Thank you for your time." She addressed Tyra. "Let us go back to my suite and have a talk."

"But you said before -"

"There are many other things we could discuss, Tyra."

"As you say, Mistress."

At the top of the stairs was Kalmenar, talking quietly with the armsman on duty. He brightened as he saw them come up and gave a small nod and a final word to the man before greeting them.

"Mistress Ursula! Barras tells me that you were called to meet a visitor, I did not know how long you would be, yet here you are."

"Lord Kalmenar, there is a smith down near the docks who is making some special tools for me," she explained. "He has just delivered the first few for my approval."

"Ah, I see. Are they in that cloth which Tyra holds? They must be small, indeed."

"They are not large. Please come into my room, both of you."

But Tyra had barely opened the door to Ursula's suite before another interruption came. Over the bridge from his workshop strode Duban, a garment over his arm.

"Mistress Ursula! I am pleased to have found you, I did not know if you had yet awakened from your nap. Here is your dress, cleaned of the stain, but I expect you will desire to put it into the laundry before wearing it again."

"Oh, yes, probably. Come in, all of you."

Once inside she turned and said, "You should both know that Her Grace has assigned Tyra here as my personal maid." She frowned. "I am not entirely certain of the exact reasoning but that is what happened just after lunch today. Neither she nor I know how this association is going to work but, with Her Highness spending longer days away, I must admit that I have found that I do need some help of a female kind."

Kalmenar nodded. "As you say, Mistress. It is possible for a woman to manage on her own but, as you have found, it is not easy. You should know that a personal servant such as Tyra will be expected to become your confidant, able to be trusted with all your wants, desires and secrets and she will in turn offer you such advice as she may."

"Thank you for the information, My Lord."

Duban added, "Mistress, I agree with My Lord here. You will both profit from this association, I deem. And I must offer congratulations to Tyra as well. It is a significant promotion."

Tyra dipped. "Thank you, My Lord. Thank you, Master Duban."

Ursula asked, "Can I have a look at the dress?"

"Surely, Mistress. I used one solvent to remove the stain and another to remove the first solvent. The smell will go once it has been washed."

Ursula put the garment to her nose and sniffed. "Alcohol?"

"Indeed, Mistress. You know of such fluids?"

"I do, and if you have access to some reasonably pure alcohol then it may make my own job a little easier. Alcohol can be used to sterilize things which cannot be boiled."

"I did not know that." Duban glanced at Kalmenar. "I see that you are busy, Mistress. Mayhap you could come to my workshop at another time and see what materials I have to offer, that may be of use to you."

"I will do that, Master Duban, and thank you for cleaning this dress."

The saddler bowed and left the room. Tyra turned to Ursula.

"Mistress, I must take the dress down to the laundry immediately. There may be time to get it done today and it will then be ready for you tomorrow."

"I should have another one back tomorrow, Tyra, but it is a good idea. Here."

Tyra went off with the dress and Ursula turned to Kalmenar.

"My Lord, it has not been the start you might wish for today."

He smiled. "As you say. There is often confusion surrounding those who come from the other world, Mistress, and the rest of us must needs learn to accept what comes. The present circumstance is but one example. By chance, here I am alone with a woman in her chamber."

"Oh! I didn't think of that."

Kalmenar smiled again. "Neither did Tyra, though I believe that she was only attempting to be conscientious in her new duties."

"You are right. Shall we step outside, so that the armsman can keep an eye on both of us?"

"If we may leave the door wide open, that he might see us plainly, that should be sufficient."

The door was opened, and a brief conversation told Barras why.

"Her Grace told me that you had noticed Tyra trying to read," she said then to Kalmenar.

"Aye, I did! It was a surprise, I noticed that she was silently mouthing the letters and words as she stood behind you. Do you object?"

"Just the opposite, My Lord! If Tyra is clever enough to be able to do that then certainly she should learn. Her Grace suggested to me that Tyra should join me as your pupil, if you have no objection of your own."

"I do not, though it means a change of ideas for such as me. You must understand that in our society, and I imagine Joth is little different, very few people can read and write. Most nobles, such as myself, make sure that their own children may do so, since one or more may come to the title after their parent and will need to be able to administer their lands and people.

"Of the rest of the population, which is of course the greater part, very few may be able to read or write. In Palarand's Guilds... or perhaps I should now say the new Engineer's Institute, it is a condition of entry that any boy... or girl... must needs learn to read and write before they may be awarded the rank of Journeyman." He belatedly added, "Or Journeywoman, as it may be."

He then explained, "Since the coming of Princess Garia it has become apparent to all that the traditional training of a guildsman, which may last five, six or even seven years, may no longer be supported. Matters are changing so quickly that training struggles to address the latest developments. Many of those in the more technical departments are therefore forced to rely on what are named manuals, which are books detailing all aspects of their subject. Thus, more of the lower classes must needs learn to read, write and to number."

"I am familiar with manuals, My Lord. In the land of my birth, as elsewhere on Earth, there are many manuals, but also training as well. One cannot make sense of a manual until one knows what the subject is about."

"So I was told. What of your own art? How is it managed on Earth?"

"Do you know that we leave school at an age which here would be about sixteen years old?"

Kalmenar nodded.

"After that," she continued, "most young men and women spend two years in our country's armed forces. It is called conscription, but from what I understand it is not the same as you use the word here."

"From what Tenant Maralin has previously told us, I believe that you are right. Normally, we would only conscript men into the levies when a war threatens or has already begun. On Earth, he says that in certain countries conscription is to be considered as a regular part of every young person's education."

"That is a good way to describe it, My Lord. So, following that service, most will go on to college to learn more about the particular profession or trade that they have decided to follow in their adult lives. I chose medical school, obviously. I am two years out of medical school, then, and was gaining further experience and knowledge while working in one of our hospitals."

The diplomat nodded again. "Ah, I see. And there are many of these manuals, then, to help you at your task?"

"Not so much these days. Because we could be moving about in the hospital all the time, attending different patients, carrying books with us is not a practical idea. Also, as you must understand, sometimes there is no time to do anything at all but deal with whatever is happening. Instead, we rely on the experience of our superiors and a good memory. Of course, should some new disease or technique for curing something come along, there will be short courses for interested doctors to learn all about them."

"Thank you, Mistress. I believe that I understand your background much better now." He gave a rueful smile. "When we first saw you, on that island in the river, we could never have imagined what you have turned out to be. To think, all that knowledge and experience you have -"

At that moment Tyra reappeared, giving a curtsey as she entered the room.

"Mistress, they said in the laundry that, as the weather is so warm these days, your dress will dry quickly and should be ready for you tomorrow - but not before breakfast, since somebody must needs iron it first."

"Thank you, Tyra, and good work. Now, as Lord Kalmenar is here, perhaps we should be at our lessons?"

"Aye, Mistress. Um, should I - Do I have to -"

"I believe that you should sit for the lesson. Do you agree, My Lord?"

"It is unusual, perhaps, but not unknown, Mistress Ursula. Certainly the work will go better if you are both seated."

They took seats one side of the table while Kalmenar sat on the other. He opened the folder and took out three slim parchment books from within.

"Bellot managed to find these among the few effects salvaged from the fire," he explained. "They are for teaching His Grace's children to read, and you have my apologies for that, but I believe that you will find them suitable for your present level of study. Tyra?"

"Yes, My Lord?"

"Since this is the first day that I will have officially instructed you, you must be sure to tell me of any difficulty. Though I understand that your mistress may progress faster, I do not intend to let you fall behind if I can avoid it."

Tyra lowered her eyes. "My Lord, you are most gracious. I will tell you if I do not understand anything."

"Good. Then perhaps you will both look at this first book together. It appears to be about the adventures of a... well, mayhap you can tell me."

* * *

"My Lord, Mistress," Tyra said, "it darkens. Should I light a lantern for you?"

Kalmenar looked up. The room was definitely becoming dark, and rapidly. He stood and peered out of the window.

"A storm approaches. There will likely be thunder, lightning and a downpour of rain to come for a bell or so." He considered. "By the time that the clouds pass over, I deem it will by then be time for you ladies to prepare yourselves for the evening meal." He gave them both a smile. "By which I mean, it would now be a good point for us to stop."

Ursula leaned back and stretched. "I believe I agree, My Lord." Even during the time that they had been speaking, the room had darkened further. "As always, with something new like this it takes a considerable amount of concentration until the letters become familiar. I think we have both done enough for today."

"And you have both progressed very well today! Several more days like this and it is certain that you, Mistress Ursula, will need no further instruction but merely plenty of practice, and you, young Tyra, will need but little more. I am pleased to have such bright students. To see you two learning to read is very satisfying, somehow."

"Thank you, My Lord. Can you tell me, are storms like this typical at this time of year?"

"You would not know, would you? Aye, there are usually a few but they do not last very long, maybe a bell or a bell and a half. Some farmers think they are good luck since the extra moisture helps to plump out fruits and vegetables before the harvest, but those who grow grains worry since the heavy rain that usually falls can flatten the crop. As always, there are winners and losers."

Tyra said, "My father likes these storms, My Lord, since they tempt the fish to the river's surface. He will go out immediately the storm passes by, to make the most of the bounty."

"He is a fisherman? I did not know that. An honorable trade, I deem."

"Aye, My Lord, and the city folk are always ready to pay good coin for his catch."

There was a rumble of thunder in the distance.

"Perhaps lighting a lantern or two would be a good idea," Kalmenar suggested. "In a few moments it will be too dark for us to see one another. If you would give me leave, Mistress, I will return to my own chamber while I may yet see the way."

"Of course, My Lord," Ursula agreed.

She and Tyra both stood and curtseyed as Kalmenar collected his things and departed. There was another rumble of thunder.

"If you may tell me where your fire striker is kept, Mistress."

"I have no idea, Tyra. Let us look in the sideboard. Thinking about it, I have not lit any lamp since I have been here and I do not think that Bennet has either. I would guess that one of the Mansion staff does it when we are elsewhere, like at a meal, but that obviously did not include you."

"As you say, Mistress. Ah! Here it is, in the top drawer."

Tyra expertly struck flint to steel and lit a taper, from which she lit lanterns on the sideboard and table. She considered the wall-mounted ones but shook her head.

"They must use steps to do those, I deem. I will not risk it, not until I am sure of what I am doing."

"I agree." Ursula considered. "I think that you are going to need some instruction as to what your duties are, now that you have a new job. Is there someone you can ask?"

"There are the ladies who attend Her Grace," Tyra said doubtfully. "But they have other tasks as well and are not always around to ask. Her Highness has no maids and there are no other ladies who live in the Mansions who do... that I know about. Perhaps I must needs enquire of Bellot what my duties might be, or, if he does not know, who will be able to tell me."

"I cannot help you, since this whole affair is something that I have never faced before. Where I lived before, there were no maids as you use the term here. The clothes we wore there are designed so that we can dress and undress ourselves without any help. As to any other duties," Ursula shrugged, "I will not even attempt to guess."

"No maids? That sounds... unusual, but it is plain to us servants that the society that you came from is very different than our own." Her face lit up. "I would like it if one day you could tell me of that land and the people in it, it may help me to serve you better."

Ursula grimaced. "There are problems... as I said before, I need to have a long talk with His Grace before I can do anything like that." Tyra's face fell, so Ursula added, "I have no objection to telling you about my past but... there are problems which must be resolved before I can tell you anything. The Duke must come first."

"As you desire, Mistress."

It was now raining fitfully, with the occasional flash from distant lightning flickering through the window.

"Perhaps we ought to go into the dressing room," Ursula decided. "As Lord Kalmenar said, I have to change for the evening meal... does that mean that you do too?"

"Um. Mistress, I do not know. Before today I have only very rarely been permitted into the dining room and that was never when a meal was being served." Tyra eyed Ursula. "Mistress, you have eaten there, of course. How were the female servants attired?"

"Why, it was not something I paid much attention to! Let me think." Ursula closed her eyes and tried to remember her previous meals. "Yes. Some of the servants were from the kitchens, but they wore different dresses to those who prepared and cooked. Some of the others who serve - must be the personal servants of those eating, thinking about it! They wore the Duke's colors but their dresses were long."

Tyra nodded. "That means that I have to find somebody who knows what I should be wearing, and then find somebody else who knows where such a garment might be found! Mistress, I do not know if all that may be done before the meal is ready."

"Then let us begin immediately."

There was a problem with this proposal, in that the rain was now coming down in sheets and the noise was deafening. It was so dark that, even with the lanterns they had already lit, it would have been difficult to read had they wanted to continue. Outside in the corridor it would be even darker. Taking a lantern from the table, Ursula opened the door. Outside, Barras was watching a servant light one of the corridor lanterns with a taper on the end of a pole. Ursula and Tyra looked at each other.

"Mistress, there was a pole like that in the drawer but it never occurred to me..."

"Why should it? If it is something you have never seen done, why would you know how it is done?"

Barras turned towards them. "Mistress?"

"It is not important, Barras. What is important is that we speak with His Grace as soon as it is convenient to him."

"His Grace is still in the Great Hall, Mistress, but Her Grace recently came up the stairs and went to their chambers. Would she suffice?"

"We have a number of problems to solve and she may be able to answer some of them. Should we go and knock? Would we be disturbing anything, do you know?"

"I believe that she may have come up to change before the evening meal... although it is yet early, I deem. I do not think that it would hurt to knock and find out if you may attend her."

"We'll do that. Come on, Tyra."

Tyra knocked on the door but Ursula stepped forward when it was opened. The woman within looked at her enquiringly. Ursula thought she looked familiar, but then there had been a lot of people around the Mansion in recent days.

"If I may help?"

"I find myself in an awkward position," Ursula explained. "Tyra here has been allocated me as a personal maid by Her Grace, just after lunch, and neither of us know what she is supposed to do, or what she should be wearing. As you may know I am a stranger here and do not know the routine of the household."

"Oh!" The woman thought. "Her Grace is presently indisposed but I may be able to help. If you would both enter."

The woman closed the door behind them and looked them over.

"Of course, I know who you are, Mistress Ursula, I doubt there are many in Joth who do not these days, and of course Tyra is familiar to me. I am Benizel, a companion to Her Grace. The Call of Kalikan presently occupies Her Grace and she is bathing with her other companion, Mistress Harbara. You desire to know Tyra's duties? I do not think she has yet served as a personal maid."

Tyra bobbed. "If you please, Mistress Benizel. And I do not know what uniform my new duties require."

Benizel's gaze flicked up and down the maid's body. "Though it is unusual, what you wear now will suffice for today, I deem. I must needs ask Her Grace when she emerges what the attire for a personal maid in her household should be, since no-one of that status resides here presently. Some years ago her daughters both had maids but they have long departed to the homes of their husbands." She grimaced. "Since those of Yod despoiled our city much is different and I do not know whether Her Grace would make changes from what occurred before." She brightened. "Still, the duties of a personal maid are easy enough to describe, and we have time before you must needs go and change."

Benizel had almost finished detailing most of what Tyra should know when Fanis appeared, wrapped in a fluffy robe.

"Ursula? Tyra? Is there some problem?"

"Of a minor nature, Your Grace," Benizel explained. "Though you have assigned Tyra new duties, none have described to her what her new duties should be nor how she should be attired in her new post."

"Oh! As you say!" Fanis smiled at them both. "How remiss of me! Of course, Tyra would not know what service she should provide to you, Ursula. Not all our staff know what every other person should do, after all. Is all now explained?"

Tyra bobbed. "Yes, Your Grace, it is. I feel much more confident in my duties now and Mistress Benizel has said that I may ask advice of her at any time if I am unsure."

"That is good. I must apologize for the oversight, but we were about to take our naps, were we not? I doubt much of anything that I told you then would have been remembered. All is now satisfactory, then? And your attire?"

"Your Grace, Benizel is unsure what attire you may desire, since the circumstances of your mansion are different than before."

"Well said, Tyra. Different, indeed! I doubt not we will have the new wood smell into next year. Let me see. For today, what you wear will be sufficient, I think. Tomorrow I will ask a seamstress to call and we can decide on something appropriate to the season." She had a thought. "Hmm! Mayhap we should take advantage of the new styles and provide a ship dress for you, in the house colors." She nodded. "If I may consider the matter overnight, ladies, and give you my answer tomorrow morning."

Tyra curtseyed again. "As you command, Your Grace."

Outside in the corridor the noise had quietened to a dull murmur and it seemed appreciably lighter.

"The storm has passed over, Mistress. I have not heard the clock... Barras? Do you know what time it is?"

"The rain was too loud for me to hear the bells, Tyra, but I judge there may be a little more than a bell before you must needs take your mistress down to eat."

"Mistress?"

"Yes, Tyra. Time enough to bathe, then, and to look through my wardrobe for something to wear. Come on, then."

* * *

"Mistress, I thought that you had more gowns than these."

The two had bathed together and were in fluffy robes, inside Ursula's dressing room. The storm had by now passed so that a good evening light came through the window, allowing the two women to see Ursula's garments clearly.

"Yes, well, that is part of my past which you will need to know. When... I... came on board Her Highness's ship, I had almost nothing to wear. We had to stop at the next crossing point and buy some dresses and underwear in the market. Once we arrived here, Her Grace has graciously provided some of these better gowns for me. Of course, Maralin has also helped by designing some of these new lightweight clothes that you may have seen around."

"Like the ship dress?" Tyra frowned. "Why is it named a ship dress, do you know? Is it because it was designed aboard Her Highness's ship?"

It was Ursula's turn to frown. "I'm not sure... I think, originally, it was called a shift dress but then he thought it suitable for Her Highness, Bennet and Semma to wear on board, so called it a deck dress. Somehow the women here started calling it a ship dress and I am guessing that the change of name stuck. As to what a shift dress might be, that is a long story for another time."

"As you wish, Mistress." Something else Ursula had said caught her attention. "You said that you had almost no clothes at all? How is that possible? Were they stolen or lost?"

Ursula thought. "That is as good an explanation as any, Tyra. At the time I was found, I had lost my memory."

"I remember."

"So I have no idea, really, what happened to all my belongings. I will tell you that most of what I owned would not be considered appropriate here so it would not have been worth bringing them anyway. I have considered it as a fresh beginning for me, in a new land."

"As you say, Mistress. Which of these shall you choose to wear this evening? The work of Joth's seamstresses is very fine, as I can see from here."

"We have time, let us pull some out to have a look. That way you can become familiar with what I have."

In the end, Ursula opted for the blue gown that had somehow become a favorite. With hair neatly brushed by an attentive Tyra, she walked down the stairs and into the dining room followed by her new maid.

"We stand around in here talking," she explained in a low voice, "until His Grace has arrived. Then we get shown to seats, which can change all the time. Only Their Graces sit in the same place for every meal."

"Ah. As you say, Mistress. Useful to know."

Fanis was already there and joined Ursula. "Everything is as you desire it, dear?"

"It is, Your Grace. It will doubtless take Tyra and myself a few days to develop a routine but so far we have had no problems."

"That is good. Have you any questions for me?"

"Nothing about myself and Tyra, Your Grace, but can I ask what was happening in the Great Hall today? It is not my business but it would be useful to know when either of you are not available or if there might be need of my services."

"Certainly you may ask, Ursula! For the first time since Wallesan has returned to Joth from Palarand, the Great Council of Joth has met, with most of his counts and barons in attendance. This happens but once a year, and is usually in the fall, but of course recent events have made changes necessary. I do not normally attend such meetings but since this one was unusual, it was thought prudent." Her face fell. "We did not get very much done, I regret. Although Joth today is more united by the war than for a while in the past, still there are tensions and rivalries, not to mention absences due to deaths and war injuries. I hope that the next meeting, in the fall as usual, will prove more productive."

Ursula nodded. "Thank you for the information, Your Grace. If I am to settle in this new... land... then I must find out all I can about how everything works."

The door opened and Bellot appeared. He saw Fanis and came over.

"Your Grace, it appears that His Grace will be late to dine this evening."

Fanis looked concerned. "Why, whatever has happened?"

"As you may know, after you departed the gathering, everybody else remained in the Great Hall until the storm passed over, that they might leave without getting soaked. Before the storm had entirely passed, however, a messenger came with a call for the Duke saying that the Galdarin Gate had been struck and that there was significant damage."

"Oh, my! Has anyone been hurt, do you know?"

Bellot shook his head. "Your Grace, I do not have that information. His Grace will of course have discovered everything and no doubt will tell you when he returns. He left immediately with Captain Hambran, telling his nobles and others there to wait until the storm passed before departing, with his approval. I do not know when he is expected to return."

"Oh." Fanis looked down. "I do hope that everyone is safe. Thank you, Bellot. I suppose that means that we should sit to table and not wait for my husband."

Bellot bowed. "As you command, Your Grace. I will go and inform the kitchen."

Fanis turned to Ursula. "Come. Today you may sit by my side and we may have a sensible conversation, with no others between us. Tyra, if you would serve your mistress this evening."

Tyra bobbed. "Of course, Your Grace."

The meal passed with light conversation among the diners since it was a mixed table and many would not have been interested in Ursula's domestic circumstances. She did speak of several patients that she had visited in the city, people who were known to those in the mansion. Once they had finished Fanis suggested that Ursula join her in their sitting room for some more intimate conversation.

"...So you see, I need to ask permission from His Grace before I can tell anything to Tyra."

"Ah, I understand. Yes, of course. When we spoke after lunch I understood that you would probably need to tell her about your past but I had not considered the greater issues involved. You will have to ask permission of Wallesan when he returns but, I would warn you, he may not wish to deal with such matters this evening."

"So I understand. These storms, does the city often get struck by lightning?"

"Two or three times a year, I would think, no more. Most often it is high roofs of merchants' mansions, but also the Great Hall has been hit in the past. It is unusual for such as the Galdarin Gate to be struck, but I do remember that one of the two dock gates was hit two years ago, so it is not impossible. Do you not have lightning in the same way on... in... the land of your birth?"

"Of course, Your Grace, but we have developed methods of reducing the damage lightning can cause. I do not think that I can tell you what they are or how they work, though."

"I believe that Maralin said that they were working on something in Palarand concerning lightning. Of course, he has now departed and is probably in Virgulend by now."

Palarand. If they are doing anything about lightning strikes in Palarand, then I am willing to bet that Princess Garia is behind it.

Another subject I cannot speak about until I get permission!

"It probably isn't that important, Your Grace, especially if it only happens two or three times a year."

"As you say. Now, while you are here, there is the small matter of uniform for Tyra, assuming that she remains your maid. What I had thought was -"

* * *

The door opened and Wallesan came in, wiping his hand through his hair. Ursula stood and curtseyed as Fanis went over and embraced the Duke.

"Welcome back, Wal! Is everything all right?"

"Whew! A difficult afternoon, I deem. There is extensive damage to the tower over the Galdarin Gate, but fortunately, because of the rain, those who were there were sheltering underneath the arch and there was no-one on the road nearby. Still, some have suffered temporary injuries to eyes and ears because of the closeness of the strike." Wallesan noticed Ursula and held up a hand in greeting. "Good evening, Ursula. You may rest easy, your presence is not required this day. Fanis, I am hungry and weary. Shall you ask food for me?"

"Of course, dear. Will you eat it in here while we are with you?"

He waved a dismissive hand. "Aye, I do not stand on ceremony as you know." He walked over and sat down in one of the chairs at the table. "Am I interrupting anything?"

"We were speaking of domestic matters, Wal. Ursula does have a request but it can wait until you have eaten and rested yourself. It concerns Tyra and... Ursula's origins."

Wallesan's eyes flicked between the three and he sighed. "Aye, I should have considered that. If you would let me think as I eat, I will answer you presently."

With Farren and Heris in close attendance, Wallesan attacked the food placed in front of him as though he had not eaten for days. While eating, he gave a running report on the damage at the gate and what was being done about it.

"...and so, it has been necessary to close the gate for a day or two, until the masons can assure us that the stonework is safe for those below," he concluded, picking up his goblet. He took a drink and then added, "It will mean an extra mark or two for anyone coming from that direction but there is no other remedy, I regret. Otherwise, everyone who resides or works near the gate may go about their normal business."

He put down the goblet and turned to his Head Cook. "My thanks to you, Farren, for a hastily arranged meal. It was of course up to your usual standard."

Farren bowed. "Thank you, Your Grace, but I may have to provide for late meals for other arrivals. Yours was but a portion of what I have kept in reserve."

"Oh? How so?"

"Her Highness and her ladies-in-arms, if I may name them so, have not yet returned from wherever they went. I do not know if they were caught by the storm or if they have obtained food somewhere along their route back to the city."

"Eriana!" Wallesan stared at Fanis. "Did she tell you where she was going today?"

"She did not, Wal. I just hope that she will not be out much longer, you know how difficult it can be to travel after sunset."

"And she may try and enter through the Galdarin Gate, since she would not know of the damage."

"Wal, let us not make problems where there may not be any. She may have gone to Thorn again, or maybe Hulmar. We do not know. At least wait a bell or two, and rest yourself, before thinking about finding them in the dark."

He nodded. "As you say, my dear. Farren, you may clear the table, I have finished, but leave me the bottle and goblet. I must needs go and sit somewhere a little more comfortable."

"As you command, Your Grace."

The Duke came and sank into his favorite armchair with a sigh.

"Fanis, we must do something about those nobles. We must not have a meeting like that one again."

"You are worried about them? Leave them for now, dear. You have all the rains to find an answer yet there are more pressing problems here for you to solve. What about the Galdarin Gate?"

"I can do nothing until the masons report, my dear. That will not happen before tomorrow lunchtime, I think." His brow furrowed. "Somebody mentioned a problem with Tyra? Ursula? Is her service not to your liking?"

Fanis said, "That is not the problem, dear. Ursula, if you would explain the problem, um, without explaining the problem, if you may understand me."

Ursula nodded. "It is simple enough, Your Grace. For Tyra to understand my needs properly, I think that she will have to be told the truth about my origins, all of it. If she does not, there will always be questions I should answer but cannot, for reasons you know."

Wallesan had briefly considered the matter while he was eating and knew what Ursula was referring to.

"I agree, my dear. If you are to have a personal maid, it will be essential for her to know all that there is to know about you. Even if you might not wish it so, over time that is what will happen anyway. Therefore, she must needs take an oath to bind her in secrecy." He turned. "Tyra, if you would stand before me."

She came and curtseyed. "Your Grace?"

He smiled at her. "This is not a grave matter we speak of but a necessary one. Normally such an oath as we require would not be needed but Mistress Ursula's past is a strange and peculiar one. Only a very few people in Joth know that secret and all have taken oaths to protect that knowledge. Because of that I will offer you the choice, to take the oath or to withdraw your service without penalty should you choose to do so."

"Your Grace, I will swear. It is clear to me that Mistress Ursula is in need of some assistance and I have already begun to help her as she requires."

"Then kneel."

The oath was given and witnessed. Tyra rose and resumed her station behind Ursula's chair.

"I would advise," Wallesan said to Ursula, "that you leave any disclosures until a suitable time tomorrow. You will have much to tell her, I deem, and a clear head will be needed by both of you for the telling."

"As you wish, Your Grace." She thought about Maralin. "Your Grace, may I tell Ursula about... the rest of it? Others involved?"

Wallesan was silent for such a long time that Ursula began to regret asking the question. "Aye, my dear," he said finally. "It may help to make your own circumstances... more understandable."

"Thank you, Your Grace. I will be careful in what I say."

Ursula thought that nearly a bell had passed before anything else happened. She still had not quite understood all the bell codes, but it was relatively early in the night and the sequences were easier to follow. Then, just as she was thinking of retiring, the sitting room door opened and Eriana came in, followed by Bennet and Semma.

"Wallesan! We have returned, no thanks to the Gods!"

Wallesan stood and walked over to greet the three. All were tired, drawn and looked hungry. Their clothes were heavily wrinkled and there was a strange, acrid smell in the air.

"Eriana! What happened to you? We wondered, when you did not appear."

"A tale of incident I will make brief, since we are all hungry and tired yet in need of a good bath before we may retire for the night. This morning, at the suggestion of Captain Hambran, we decided to go to visit your rifle range, to try our skills upon it. I must admit, the facilities there are well laid out and run and we all three were able to test ourselves with the new weapons. A good lunch was provided and we spent a bell or so speaking to those present about our own experiences before leaving to return.

"However, the storm arrived at that moment and lightning struck one of the powder stores. There was an immense explosion, several were injured, but fortunately no-one was killed. The frayen all ran amok and we had to use ours, who were most easy to retrieve, to help run down all the others. We stayed to help with the clean-up and rescue operations and then delayed our return until the storm had completely passed. Once we reached Joth again we discovered that the Galdarin Gate had been closed, but a Tenant among the gate guard offered to guide us around to the Southeast Gate."

"Maker! What an adventure you have all had today! Come, sit you all, and I will ask Farren to bring you food. He has reserved some against your late return, though what state it is in by now I could not say. Let me tell you that I have spent some time at the Galdarin Gate this afternoon, making sure all has been taken care of. Regrettably, the gate will have to remain closed a day or two more, until the masons tell me that all is safe."

He pulled a rope and Heris arrived. The footman took in the situation and said, "Your Grace, if I should fetch Farren?"

"Aye, please do, and tell him there are three hungry ladies to feed."

"Your Grace."

As Heris disappeared the three sat down at the table, all obviously exhausted after a long day.

"Eriana, what is that smell? Is that you?"

The Princess gave a wan smile. "It is, Fanis. Gunpowder is a smelly concoction and there was a lot of it consumed in a very short time. I had hoped that the rain would wash the smell off but I see that it has not. If I may offer my apologies for our present state."

"Do not concern yourself, Eriana. We know such things may happen from time to time."

Farren appeared promptly, bearing a filled tray and followed by two kitchen staff similarly laden. Food was laid out on the table and the three hungry women fell upon it, in much the same manner as Wallesan had earlier.

Eriana noticed Tyra standing behind Ursula's chair. She said to Fanis, "You have a new maid, I see."

"Oh, not mine, Eriana!" Fanis exclaimed. "Since you were all out for so long, and Ursula required assistance of a female sort, I thought it time to provide her with a permanent maid. You have been on several long trips recently and Ursula was in need. Tyra helped her before and an opportunity was there so it seemed a good idea."

"Tyra is now Ursula's maid?"

"Aye," said Fanis, puzzled. "Do you disagree?"

Eriana lurched to her feet, her eyes wide, a curse on her lips.

"I didn't - She should not - But -"

Eriana obviously had some objection but could not find words to explain herself. The others stared at her with amazement, unable to determine what had caused the reaction. Then, just as suddenly, the emotion passed, her shoulders slumped and she lowered her eyes to the carpet.

"Wallesan, I must apologize for my conduct. I am a guest in your mansion and I should not behave so. I find that I no longer desire to eat but to retire immediately."

Semma and Bennet jumped up but Eriana held up a hand. "Stay. My own poor behavior is no reason why you should spend the night hungry. Come when you are filled and clean." She turned and looked at them all - all except Tyra. "Good-night to you all. By your leave, Your Grace?"

Wallesan stammered, "Well, of course, Eriana!"

Eriana swept out of the room and the others stared at each other in silence.

"What did I do?" Fanis asked. "I thought that telling her about Tyra would ease her mind, she has been out riding a lot recently. What did I do?"

Bennet and Semma looked at each other. "Your Grace," Semma said, "we have had a long day full of excitement, most of which we did not want. It may be that Her Highness is too tired to comprehend what you have just told her. By tomorrow, when she has had a good rest, she may be in a better mood."

"Just so," Wallesan said. "Now you still have a meal to eat, and you may eat it in here, so sit down again, both of you. Farren will attend until you are finished. Tomorrow, well, tomorrow is another day, I deem."

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tyra

And when found poor Tyra time to eat? ;)

Thanks for another great part of this story.

Leo

Yours, Leontine

Chow time for Tyra

Tyra is discovering that, unlike back-stairs servants, she will have to eat 'on the hoof' as she serves her mistress.

This was alluded to in one of the other tales, I forget which. I am sure that the other servers will have clued her in to how this works.

Of course, it is likely that the relationship between Tyra and her mistress is not going to be the same as that of other maids, given their respective characters. This might mean that, outside the Mansion, they would probably sit down and eat together, just as Garia and Jenet did.

Penny

Eriana

Jealousy? Eriana and Ursula.. Sure I ship it.

*

Excellent (or maybe even super excellent), as always.

-
-
Um ...just one thing ...

A new episode each day would be kind of nice ...

But if that is too much, I suppose I can deal with it.

If I have to ....

Not my preference ...

Hint, hint ...

T

you cant rush art

or at least you shouldnt plus people have life outside of writing

*

Yeah.
Damn it.
I know.

I was just dreaming ...

T

Its a problem

When I began writing SEE I was managing ~1 chapter a week, which was a fair chunk given that an average chapter is ~9,000 words. Unfortunately I became very ill in 2013 which meant that the production rate dropped off somewhat.

Then my son got married, in New York, and his new wife was expecting twins... cue intercontinental travel, etc. Much mayhem has ensued.

Said (five-year-old girl) twins are with us now, and after lunch we are taking them to a panto - Sleeping Beauty. Having collected them yesterday and returning them tomorrow, that's a weekend lost and just before Christmas. Fun times.

I wish I could write faster. Most of the plot is in my head and waiting to be written down, but it is slow going. There's just too much other Life happening to just write.

Please accept my apologies. I don't want this to happen this slow any more than my readers do.

Penny

*

Guess what Penny?

If your next post does not happen for a decade ...

... I will still be one of the first to give you a kudo.

You are that good.

T

I have my theory, Eriana is

I have my theory, Eriana is smitten and is just realizing it.

well that was a strange

well that was a strange reaction, hopefully an explanation will eventually come from Eriana

Now that was interesting...

LibraryGeek's picture

Eriana's reaction seemed odd, I'll agree.

One possibility, which no one has mentioned, has to do with Eriana's background and status.
She's not from Joth.
She is a noble from another land, just barely of lower rank than Wallesan himself; she's a princess, remember? Both by birth and adoption.
Ursula is in her charge.
She has a history of being very stiff in regard to her prerogatives; she's gotten better about that since interacting with Garia and Milsy, but when sufficiently tired and stressed... there is a reason she's prickly about these things, after all; how was she treated in her homeland?

Someone from an entirely different power structure has just placed one of theirs in service to one of hers, without consulting her in advance.
With the best of intentions, yes, but still...
You don't do that!
It's the same as saying she and Ursula are under their authority, that she is subordinate to them; while she defers to them while in their land, she is not subordinate to them.

That can trigger a reaction.
In truth, a quite justifiable reaction.

Now, if things had been phrased differently earlier on, if it had been said that Tyra was being lent to Ursula until such time as Eriana and she could discuss the matter and determine how to deal with the situation, that would be a courteous thing to do, and commendable.
But that's not how it was done.
Tyra was entering Ursula's service, with the clear understanding that she would leave Joth when Ursula did.
It's a chain-of-command thing.
Not only was Ursula not in their direct chain-of-command, she wasn't even in their organizational chart in the first place.

On the other hand... the shippers may not be wrong.
Heh.
Maritime princess, someone found apparently washed ashore, shipping...

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Nasty stuff, lightening

Jamie Lee's picture

Tall structures of any kind are fair game when lightening is in the air. Ofter a rod of copper is attached to a copper wire which is then attached to another copper rod driven into the ground. While Ursula may not know the specifics of lightening rods, just knowing about them can help Wal create the necessary at the gates and at the rifle range.

Tyra sound have been taken aside by one of the lady's maids and given instructions concerning her duties as a lady's maid. Sometime it seems Wal and Fanis are too busy chasing their tails in getting things repaired and restoring normalcy to remember the little things.

Wonder how Tyra will take what Ursula tells her? She seems to have an open mind so maybe she won't argue with Ursula about Earth being impossible.

Others have feelings too.

Need to comment

because I then get notice when someone else does! Somehow I missed out on commenting on this earlier.