My Super-powered Diary: Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version
Merida.png
My Super-powered Diary
Chapter 11
Who Am I?

By
Amethyst


When Maddock Ainsley gets involved in a rescue operation with his unit things go horribly wrong and his life is forever changed. Can the newly minted Merida cope with being a girl and a teenage super hero?
Then I suddenly remembered that I was a little girl now and I felt all the joy I had been feeling drain out of me. “Or no’, I guess girls dinnae really dae this sorta thing.”

 


 
Author's Note: Well it's now Saturday, so here's chapter 11 of MSPD. Just a note that there is a referenced 'suicide' at the end of this chapter for anyone that may be triggered by that. I hope you all enjoy, and thank you for supporting my stories. ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 11: Who Am I?

As we ate dinner that night we were all worried about Mei’s excessive use of power to create a permanent pixie. Tink, as we had taken to calling her, seemed unwilling to leave Mei’s side, and even then it was only for short periods of time, to eat or to dress in one of the little outfits that Mom and Shu had made for her. With her hair up in a bun, she looked just like a living version of the Disney fairy in the outfit that had been made to match that of her animated inspiration. I had to wonder if Mei had imagined her as a loyal best friend or a family member of sorts when summoning her, given how she watched over her so faithfully.

It wasn’t that she ignored the rest of us other than Mei, just that she was concerned about the twin and wanted to watch over her. She was perfectly friendly with the rest of us, almost like she considered us all family, she was just a bit distracted by her concern for Mei. She had been just as concerned for Mom when she had accidentally cut herself making dinner though, so maybe it wasn’t just about Mei. She even spoke with us once in a while if it didn’t take her away from her vigil at Mei’s side, though if she didn’t speak up her voice was a bit hard to hear at her tiny size.

I didn’t remember her speaking at all when I watched Peter Pan as a kid, except the tinkling bell sound, but I was assured by the others that she sounded just like Tinker Bell in her own more recent movies. I was a bit surprised though at how interested she was in how things worked though during those brief periods we had managed to coax her away from Mei’s side. Blair had spent a while in her lab with the fairy after dinner, showing her various gadgets or designs.

I had been sitting watching over Mei as that happened so that Tink would know someone was with her and could relax a bit. “It is sooo weird seein’ someone as intae gadgets an’ such as Mom is. They’ve been in there o’er an hour.”

“Well she is a Tinker,” Shu said, as if that explained everything.

“I ken tha’ Mom is a Tinker, bu’ wot does tha’ ‘ave tae dae wi’ Tink?” I asked, a bit confused.

Tinker Bell,” Shu said stressing the first word. “She’s a tinker fairy.”

“We really need to get the Disney Fairies movies and have Mer watch them,” Vanessa said with a giggle of her own. She has no idea what you’re talking about Shu, and I can’t think of a better girly night than that and a sleepover. I adore Silvermist.”

“You would,” Tasha said with a chuckle, “you have a lot in common.”

“Well yeah, we both have a connection to and can control water…” The mermaid paused a moment in her reply before narrowing her eyes at Tasha. “Wait a minute Dew Drop, are you calling me a ditz?”

“You said it, not me,” Tasha replied with a wink as Tink rejoined us in watching over Mei.

Another big surprise with Tink was the dust, she seemed to shed that glowing shit everywhere when she was agitated, and she was very agitated and worried while watching over Mei. It was as we were getting ready for bed and I summoned my force field to give me a strength boost, so I could carry Mei up to the room that she and Shu were sharing, that Shu sprinkled some of the sparkly golden dust on Vanessa, Tasha, and I and said, “Think of a wonderful thought.”

“Any happy little thought?” Vanessa supplied with a laugh and a decidedly fake British accent.

“I dinnae need ‘appy thoughts tae fly,” I pointed out, sticking my tongue out at my sisters as I hovered in the air. “Ya dinnae expect tha’ tae really work dae ya?”

“Well it depends how Mei thought about her when creating her I guess,” Tasha supplied. “I mean her powers are reality altering so I guess it could be possible, and she does resemble the character from the movies in more than just looks.”

Shu was not to be discouraged as I picked her sister up and we headed upstairs to our rooms with Tink hovering beside me. Her face scrunched up in deep thought as we entered the room and I placed Mei on the double bed. I was glad that I had already put her down or I probably would have dropped her as Shu floated into the air grinning.

“I… I cannae believe tha’ worked. Wot tha’ hell were ya thinkin’ aboot?” I sputtered.

“The first time we saw you,” Shu supplied, still grinning as she floated around the room experimentally.

I groaned audibly as I looked toward the doorway to see Tasha and Vanessa staring and then apparently trying to think of suitably happy thoughts as well. “An’ there’s another thing we cannae le’ the normal folk find out aboot.”

At the moment though, my three sisters seemed too engrossed in floating around the room to care about it as they excitedly chanted, “We can fly! We can fly! We can fly!”

Tink’s little voice made a shushing sound. “Jingles!” the fairy muttered, looking a bit perturbed before taking a deep breath and adding tiredly, “Please be quiet, Mei is sleeping and we should be doing that soon too.”

~”~”~

After another nightmare-laden sleep, and a close call with my powers when I awoke, Saturday began with me waking the other girls at o-five-thirty for an exhausting run and exercise session. Mei had woke up shortly before I had and seemed to have suffered no real negative effects from anchoring Tink to our reality. Said fairy was asked to keep a low profile in the house until we returned from our run, but even she participated in the modified training session that followed. Then we had quick showers and went to wake Mom and Andy before starting breakfast.

They were already awake, and in the middle of something it seemed, as the twins burst through the door ahead of us to be greeted by hurried shuffling under the blankets, which were quickly being adjusted, by a heavily breathing and brightly blushing Andy and Blair. “Good mornin’ girls. It’s good to see ya awake Mei, are ya feelin’ alright?” Mom hurriedly asked the twin who had Tink sitting on her shoulder.

“Oh aye,” I replied for Mei with a predatory grin toward my former sister and Andy. “We’ve all been up fer hours an’ gettin’ some exercise. Seems we’re all early risers ‘ere.” The twins and Tink didn’t seem to be sure what was going on, but Vanessa and Tasha had quickly backtracked away from the open door.

“Why don’t you girls all get dressed and ready to go out. We were thinking of going to Ihop for breakfast and then we have some plans for the day,” Andy quickly suggested, trying to control his still heavy breathing.

The twins ran past me with Tink in tow and I grinned at the pair still trying to awkwardly cover themselves in the bed. “Is’nae havin’ a big fam’ly jus’ wunnerful?” I asked them with a grin. Then I turned to leave the room and threw over my shoulder, “Nex’ time, ya may wan’ tae lock the door, or maybe pu’ a sock or a ‘dae no’ disturb’ sign on the knob or sumthin’.”

~”~”~

After we were all dressed casually we all piled in the SUV to go out for breakfast. I had dressed in a my white bra and panty set, jeans, a pastel blue top, sneakers, and my Hello Kitty hoodie and backpack purse. The latter still rankled me slightly, but I was getting used to the idea of wearing cutesy girl stuff sometimes, and I knew I needed to try to embrace, or at least accept it. In reality I also had bigger problems to consider without letting myself get pissed off over what clothes I was wearing. Still I vowed to go shopping to get some things more to my tastes whenever I could manage it. At least the purse was useful for keeping my money and a few odds and ends in.

Tink had decided to hide in my voluminous hair when we all climbed out of the SUV and filed into the Ihop for breakfast. Once we had been seated she flitted under the table to sit somewhat hidden between the twins as we ate, the twins occasionally slipping some tidbits to the Fairy. “So you mentioned plans for the day?” Tasha inquired as we ate.

“Well, I was planning this for the twins’ birthday in two weeks, but since we’ll likely be leaving LA before then we decided to do it today. We’ll plan somethin’ else fun and maybe celebrate the twin’s and Merida’s birthdays together this year. Mei and Shu turn twelve on the twenty-seventh and Merida is officially thirteen on the twenty-ninth,” Mom replied vaguely.

“Their birthdays are only two days apart? We need to have a massive party!” Vanessa half squealed in glee. “You didn’t really answer the question though, what’s the plan for today?”

“It’s a surprise,” Andy said with a grin. “But I’m pretty sure you’ll all enjoy it. You’ll have to make sure to keep Tink out of sight though, Merida would probably attract enough attention as it is.”

~”~”~

We had driven into Anaheim and pulled into Disneyland’s visitor parking when the excited squealing began. Mei and Shu had freaked out when they realized where we were, and now both of them were pulling on one of my arms enthusiastically trying to pull me toward the gates as we got out of the SUV. “C’mon Merida! If you can’t learn to enjoy being a kid here, you can’t learn it anywhere,” Mei said with a giggle.

“Actually, Merida and I won’t be going with you girls,” Andy admitted. “With her looks she’s going to attract a lot of attention, especially in Disneyland. That and thrill rides probably won’t be a good idea until she can start managing her emotions and powers better, so I have other plans in mind for us.”

“But we should be going as a family,” Shu stated with a definitive pout.

“We will again someday once Merida has better control,” Mom assured the other girls, “and we’ll be doin’ lots of other things as a family, but we really need to think of what’s best for Merida here. We don’t want to push her too far, and in Disneyland she’s likely to get mobbed by people wanting photos with her because of her resemblance to the character from Brave. I might get that too, but I’m sure that I can handle it. We all know wha’ could happen if Merida starts to panic though.”

The twins both sighed and none of the girls really looked happy with me being excluded, but they obviously got the point. Both of the twins hugged me tight and as they released me Mei sighed. “I guess it’s probably not a good idea to have Tink with us either, if someone saw her…” She trailed off uncertainly, which wasn’t really surprising since I doubt that any of us could really figure out what might happen if someone actually saw the pixie.

Mom nodded in agreement. “Yeah, maybe it would be best if she stayed with Andy and Merida today.”

“Do you mind hanging out with Merida today instead of us?” Mei asked the fairy.

“Don’t worry about us Mei, we’ll keep each other safe,” the fairy assured Mei and the other girls before turning to me. “It’ll be an adventure and maybe we’ll even find some lost things.”

“Right, we’ll stick t’gether an’ try tae ‘ave some fun. She’ll be safe wi’ me an’ I’ll feel better wit’ ‘er watchin’ ma back in case sumthin’ ‘appens,” I agreed as the fairy flitted onto my shoulder. “An’ if she needs tae, she kin always ‘ide in ma ‘air or ma purse.”

With that we left the other girls to go have fun at Disnelyand while Andy drove us to parts unknown. I had moved to the front seat and held Tink securely in my lap, while making sure not to hold her too tightly. As we drove, Andy, Tink, and I got to know one another a bit better. Tink liked finding lost things and making useful inventions or doodads from them so I thought that it was no wonder that she and Mom got along so well. Still, she was a bit of a tomboy type it seemed, and she had an almost infectious sense of adventure about everything that I found myself liking as we talked.

I meanwhile explained to her about the world we lived in, answering as many questions as I could. Sometimes I tried to explain how things worked and Andy gave us an impromptu lesson on computers and electronics, which she seemed fascinated about. I also gave her the rundown on how, except for Andy, all the members of our family were mutants and what made us different from normal people. I also warned her to be cautious about being seen for now since most humans tend to react unpredictably to things that they can’t understand.

It was nearly an hour later that we arrived at a shooting range. Tink stayed carefully hidden within my purse as we waited and Andy signed the waivers and permission forms, and then we were led to a private outdoor shooting bay built up with dirt and wood with a rental Colt M4 Carbine Rifle and Glock Pistol, several targets, and a hundred rounds of ammo for each gun. Andy and I spent the next two hours putting holes in targets and chatting about what other interests I might want to pursue as Tink watched curiously. The Fairy was very careful to stay behind us though once I had gone over gun safety with her and made sure that both guns were in good condition.

Both guns were a little hard to get used to at first, they were heavier and had more of a kick than I remembered, though that probably had a lot to do with my smaller size and weaker girl body. Once I had gotten used to it and started to compensate I was doing a lot better. Teaching Andy and explaining things to Tink actually helped with that as I remembered the early days of my training and put my own advice to work. Andy was a much better shot when we were finished and I was once again able to consistently hit the bullseye. My mood was much improved as well and I was feeling relaxed, and even almost normal again.

After the shooting range we went to a burger joint to pick up some lunch and ate in the vehicle while on our way to our next destination. I was sharing my lunch with Tink when I noticed that we were passing a small strip mall. I felt kind of bad that Tink had only been able to watch while we shot targets for two hours so I wanted to do something nice for her. “Umm dae ya think we could stop there fer a bit?” I asked, pointing out a dollar store.

Andy looked briefly at the clock on the dashboard, “Sure thing, we have some time before what I have planned.” He turned into the parking lot and after Tink and I had finished eating we all left the SUV and headed to the store with Tink hiding in my hair.

“Okay, I ken tha’ they’re no’ really lost things, bu’ there are loads o’ int’resting human-made things in ‘ere tha’ ya might be able tae use tae build things,” I explained to the fairy as we entered the store. Then for half an hour we wandered the aisles with a basket in my hand, adding anything that the Fairy seemed interesting in using. We got some packages of buttons, bobby pins, combs, hair elastics, tiny screws, beads, plastic eating utensils, a small sewing kit, colored paper, and even some kitchen odds and ends. When we had paid for the purchases and left Tink was happily hugging my neck while attempting to stay hidden within my hair and thanking me profusely in her small voice.

As much as I had enjoyed the shooting range, I enjoyed our next stop even more and I think Tink enjoyed it nearly as much as I did. So far the fairy had nearly left the cover of my copper tresses twice in wonder and curiosity as we looked over the various vehicles at the classic car show. “What dae ya think?” I asked her as we looked under the hood of a cherry red 1969 Mustang convertible and Andy stood over us grinning and keeping watch.

“Its flitterific!” she exclaimed eagerly. She had been peppering me with questions about how it all worked and what did what and I had been pointing out the various parts to her and answering her questions. As Maddock I had owned a Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle that I used to get around, but I had also been close to finishing the process of restoring a 1967 Shelby G.T. 500 Fastback. I guessed that they both still belonged to me since I inherited them from Maddock, but I wouldn’t be able to use either for at least another three years when I could drive again.

I grinned at the fairy as I said, “Maybe ya kin ‘elp me finish fixin’ ma Mustang once the Army ships it tae our new home.” Then I suddenly remembered that I was a little girl now and I felt all the joy I had been feeling drain out of me. “Or no’, I guess girls dinnae really dae this sorta thing.”

“Why not?” Tink asked. “It looks like fun and you seem to enjoy it.”

Andy placed a hand on my shoulder, speaking quietly as he looked around to make sure nobody was taking too much of an interest in us. “Merida, that’s what this whole day has been about. Just because you’re a girl doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy shooting guns or fixing cars. You obviously still enjoy those things and you need to be the kind of girl that you want to be, with your interests, whether they’re feminine or masculine. Don’t be afraid to explore new things, but don’t give up on something just because it’s not stereotypically feminine either. Just look at Tink there, she’s a girl and a fairy and she seems to enjoy it as much as you do. Your biology doesn’t dictate who you are, you do.”

“Thanks, yuir both right,” I hugged them both and then we went on looking at the various classic cars, chatting happily about the various makes, models, and what was left to be done to restore my Mustang. I was feeling a whole lot better about myself as we made our way back to Disneyland to meet the rest of the family.

~”~”~

Cyrus Pinchley, or Prisoner 271-694 as he was known in the Pit, sat alone in his cell considering his options. The inhibitor collar that he now wore was chaffing, both physically and mentally, and mostly those options that he was considering would be about what he would do if he could even manage to get the damn thing off. Without the collar he might be able to escape his cell and kill a few guards, but the Pit didn’t rely on just the inhibitor collars to keep inmates in line. It was a deep underground facility equipped with high tech anti-mutant measures, an EM field to prevent most forms of teleportation, and guards in power armor with weapons designed to incapacitate all but the most powerful of mutants. Even if he did somehow manage to get through all of that and to the surface, he’d be stuck in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

He was so immersed in his escape fantasies that he didn’t notice that he was no longer alone until one of his visitors spoke in a barely audible voice. “I am disappointed in you Quill.”

“Shade,” Quill said swallowing the sudden lump of fear in his throat. The large man was covered in a pulsating inky blackness that revealed none of his features. Beside him stood a young blonde woman in a dark blue bodysuit and mask who wore a sword at her hip and looked as terrified of the man she was with as Quill himself was. How had they gotten inside? “I can still create those mutants you wanted, we had some success…”

“Which success would that be Quill?” Shade asked as he stepped closer to Quill, who backed into the door of his cell. “The one where you lost the new base I had constructed for you and all of your test subjects to the HAA? Or the one where your foolishness cost Phantom’s life? She was one of my most promising young assassins and I loaned her services to you and your cause when you assured me that you could create mutants who would be useful to me. All that I have given you, you have lost, and with no results to show for it.”

“We had results! Five girls developed powers. I am not certain about what powers most of them got, but one was a mermaid. There was also a girl with long curly red hair, a black girl, and a pair of Chinese twins. Phantom said that the redhead with the thick accent was powerful, she has some sort of bright red force field. One of my men said that it was she who killed Phantom, and the five of them and a spy managed to kill or disable several of my best people. I can find them! Please give me a second chance!” Quill blubbered as the shadowy man moved closer.

Shade turned to the woman with him. “Saber, search for signs of these girls appearing in public and send in Code Pink to draw them out, they’ve been wanting to prove themselves. Tell them that they are to recruit if possible. If these girls decide to refuse our generous invitation they are to be eliminated.” Then he turned his attention back to Quill, placing a hand on the prisoner’s forehead, causing a black glyph to appear there. “As for you, the Shadow Syndicate does not give second chances. You have outlived your usefulness, your cause bores me, and I have no further need of you. The work that Dr. Hayes has planned at the Red River Research Institute should suit my purposes nicely when it comes to fruition.”

Then Shade took hold of the woman’s hand and they both vanished, leaving the prisoner alone once again. Quill’s body was moving of its own accord, stepping toward the bed where it began tearing the sheets into strips to form a noose. He mentally screamed as he fought for control, to stop himself from making the noose and climbing on the bed to secure it and give himself the added height before slipping his head through. It was only once his body had stopped twitching and he had stopped breathing that the mark on his forehead vanished.

Copyright © 2019 Amethyst Gibbs
up
245 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oooh, nasty

A mind control mastermind, suitably ominous and evil too.

Can’t wait until Merida tears him a new one.

Shade

Amethyst's picture

This hair-raising villain is actually someone who has an effect on quite a few Hyperverse stories, working in the shadows. I've been waiting a while to introduce him officially. While his mind control ability is fairly unique, some of his powers are very similar to another major player in the Hyperverse and that will be explained in a new story involving her, that I'm working on and eager to finish, which takes place roughly 6 months in future from here and somewhere to the north of these events in California. Why just thinking about it makes my hair stand on end. ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

No sunset rides

Amethyst's picture

I thought that this would be a good time to do a little good old fashioned foreshadowing and let everyone know that things will definitely be heating up a bit in the future, even if it seems like they're all settling into their new lives at the moment. And I got to finally reveal Shade, which was a big bonus. ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

oh boy nasty!

eek!

DogSig.png

Yup, nasty

Amethyst's picture

Shade is a major league villain and he and his Shadow Syndicate have been pulling the strings on some events in the Hyperverse.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

hmmm

I wonder if some of this story has been affected by our chats.

To some degree ;)

Amethyst's picture

We had some similar ideas and I really liked the idea you suggested of Andy taking her to the shooting range, it's such an Andy thing to do.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

shade is a nasty piece of

shade is a nasty piece of work, hopefully the family is ready for them when they come after them.

shade is scary

Amethyst's picture

and you just know the attack will come at the worst possible time ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Villain Time!

GrandiaKnight's picture

Mind control! Not a good power for a bad guy. This is going to get messy. Just out of curiosity how are some of the other stories you were writing coming? Any other new chapters coming soon? Not that I'm not enjoying this one. I'm just curious.

"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp"

Mind Control

Amethyst's picture

Is a frightening power for a villain to have. I'm working on some stuff now, but I've been taking a bit of a break with everything that's happened lately. I had a good buffer built up on this story though, which is why I've been still posting chapters. Hopefully I'll get back to a regular schedule sometime after Christmas.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Healthy understanding

Jamie Lee's picture

It's good to see mom and Andy understand that Merida needs time to adjust to now being a thirteen-year-old girl, and gain control of her emotions.

They were right in not taking Merida into Disneyland, all the people mobbing her would not have been good.

What Andy did was good to reasure Merida that she didn't have to give up those things that were, or are, of interest. While she is now a she her past knowledge is still with her and useful.

It never ceases to amaze how the bad guys think they have it all sewn up, that the can defeat anyone who go against them. Shade might be in for a big surprise going after the girls. And those sent to "recruit" them will find eliminating them no easy task. In fact, those sent to "recruit" them may find that to be their very last task.

Others have feelings too.

Merida had a lot to get used to

Amethyst's picture

Blair and Andy may not relate to what she's going through now, but they do want the best for her. As much as they wanted it to be a family thing and hated excluding Merida from it, they needed to do what was best for her. Having her potentially mobbed by people while she's still having trouble with her emotions and powers could have been unhealthy for her and dangerous to everyone around her and they couldn't allow that.

Andy is a great guy and I felt that he would want to reassure her that she can be the kind of girl that she wants to be instead of what everyone else expects from her and Merida really needed to hear that from somebody. Tink's view as a tomboy helped somewhat in that regard as well.

Shade is overconfident, but he's been manipulating events for a long time and his organization is large and very far-reaching. That being said Merida and Co. May have a surprise or two in store for their potential "recruiters".

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Nano Assassin!

TheCropredyKid's picture

In David Weber's "Honorverse" {First book: On Basilisk Station*} space-opera/military SF series, published by Baen Books, the Bad Guys develop a nasty nanotech mind-control technique, which is portrayed as exactly like Shade's power, with the victim watching helplessly as they kill themselves or others...

Something like that is creepy/scary whether the handwavium that makes it work is "science", magic or "mutant powers".

 
 
 
x

Scary

Amethyst's picture

That is indeed a scary thought, but as one of the Hyperverse big bads, needed a big bad power. It's frightening to think about what people would do with such powers as mind control.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Something

I hope I'm not bothering you, so I guess this new story you where talking about should be done by now,
I've seen your story in the past but never read it,I wish I had
When the girls do get attacked, with the training there doing it well be interesting, is tink going to be a key part like protecting or worse giving her life if tink dies like that im going to cry oh do you live in Canada er the US,
Thank love ya

i like lt i'm girly BOI and love girls

I always seem to be working

Amethyst's picture

I always seem to be working on something new, but I'm trying to keep most of my focus on a few things at a time. I'm beginning to think that this story will just be a never-ending serial the way it's going. I'm glad you're enjoying it so much since it's a lot of fun to write. :)

Tink (and other Fairies) will help wherever they can, each according to their abilities, but they're mostly there just to be Fairy friends and I wouldn't dare kill off a fairy, I'd hate myself forever lol. As for where I am, I'm up in Canada ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3