My Super-powered Diary: Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version
Merida.png
My Super-powered Diary
Chapter 1
Changes

By
Amethyst


When Maddock Ainsley gets involved in a rescue operation with his unit things go horribly wrong and his life is forever changed. Can the newly minted Merida cope with being a girl and a teenage super hero?

The timer on the bomb continued to tick downward. 8…7…

 


 
Author's Note: This came to me while researching another Hyperverse story and frankly it's all Dottie and Talia's fault. Thanks to both of them for the inspiration and to Dottie on her help with a title and such. I burned through the first chapter without even realizing it today and this will be a story based in the Hyperverse, but a lot like "I Wish" in the chapter length and how it'll be more fun than stressful to write. So if people like it I may just end up putting it in my weekly schedule. ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 1: Changes

The timer on the bomb continued to tick downward. 8…7… I wasted no more time, quickly dashing to the closest of the steel doors, opening it and slamming it behind me in the hopes that it would shield me from the blast. Even if I had opened the doors to those cells immediately, the hostages had all been drugged into a stupor, so they were doomed to die alongside me. In my final seconds I thought of those poor girls laying helpless in these cells, they were all just kids, maybe thirteen years old average. That was when the bomb went off and the heat washed over me.

Okay, maybe I should hit rewind for a bit, after all that brief instant is when my life started flashing before my eyes. Before the bomb my name was Maddock Ainsley. I grew up in Tacoma Washington and was the second child of Scottish immigrants; my father was a surgeon and my mother stayed at home raising me and my older sister Blair. Mom was also a Hyper, or a mutant as a lot of people seem to call us. She wasn’t really powerful, but she could create realistic images from light and energy, they even felt solid. Let me tell you, we had some interesting playmates and bedtime stories while growing up.

Blair came into her powers when she was fourteen and I was twelve, she became super smart and was classified as a Tinker; she could build just about anything that her brilliant mind could think up. I never got any powers, my H Chromosomes were never “Activated” as the lingo goes. I didn’t really care much since mutants seem to get a lot of negative attention in general. My sister graduated high school at sixteen and went about getting doctorates in medicine, engineering, biotech, physics and a few other things that I couldn’t pronounce, much less identify. I finished high school more normally and enlisted in the army after graduating, hoping to learn some new skills and do something worthwhile.

Twelve years later I was still in the military, though now I held the rank of Captain and had been moved to an anti-terrorism unit that dealt with threats on American soil. And that was around when the shit hit the fan. Roughly three hours before the bomb went off my unit had landed at Los Angeles Air Force Base, ready and waiting for some action. As we headed toward our mission briefing I wondered whether I would have the time to visit my sister and her fiancé while I was in L.A. I had only met Andy a few times so far, and I hadn’t seen him or Blair since the funeral last year. That hadn’t exactly been a great visit for either me or Blair though, since we were both still reeling from losing both our parents in the plane crash.

The briefing had started almost as soon as we had gotten to the briefing room and only included the six people from my unit, a second group of six from a similar unit, and a government spook. The latter wore a dark grey suit with dark sunglasses hanging from his coat pocket and he was so absolutely average looking that his averageness itself was astounding. He was Caucasian; not too pale, but not darkly tanned, he looked to be six foot nothing with a build that was neither overly muscular nor stickman, and he had brown eyes and short light brown hair, parted to the side. Of course he had introduced himself as Agent John Smith from the Hyper Affairs Agency.

According to Agent Smith there was a mutant extremist group operating in the Los Angeles area calling themselves Omega. Currently they were holding hostages, children who had been taken from orphanages across the state, seemingly at random. Through a mole within the organization, the Hyper Affairs Agency had gathered enough information to discover that one of the mutants in Omega had positively identified these children as having dormant H Chromosomes and taken them. Those children were now being held in two separate complexes, one in Santa Monica and the other in Pasadena.

Once he had finished giving us the bare bones background, Smith frowned and told us why we were there. “The word from our informant is that those children are due to be moved to a larger and more secure complex sometime within the next twelve hours. The mutants guarding those complexes aren’t heavy hitters and there’s less than a dozen in each complex, which is why they’re being moved to a larger more secure facility. We need to infiltrate both compounds, put down any opposition and rescue those children before they’re moved, while Omega’s resources are still spread thin.”

“That doesn’t sound too bad,” one of the members of the other unit said with a shrug. “As long as there aren’t any Regens or Enhanced we should be able to take them out no problem, I’m guessing one unit per compound?”

Agent Smith nodded. “Yes, the plan is to hit both compounds simultaneously. I have to warn you though, that there may be a weapon in play as well. Our informant within Omega has also informed us that they recently stole the prototype and blueprints for a bomb. She isn’t certain about the particulars of the device itself, but it would seem that both were stolen from a now defunct anti-mutant group known as Humanity Now. They developed the device, but decided that it was too dangerous to be used.”

Lt. Tabitha Roper, or Reaper as she was known in our unit, stared at Agent Smith bug-eyed before blurting out, “Too dangerous for Humanity Now?! Before they were wiped out wholesale those guys were fanatical lunatics, they were almost as bad as The Right Hand. What kind of weapon could be too dangerous for them to consider using?”

“I’m afraid that I don’t have those details, and all records of the device in Humanity Now’s database were completely destroyed,” the spook stated with a frown. “Frankly, you’ll just have to be prepared for anything and remain cautious.”

~”~”~

It was dark when we arrived at the compound in Santa Monica. It was a large fenced solitary home near the Pacific Palisades, certainly not something that anyone on a soldier’s salary could ever afford. Once Tabitha had found a good position for sniping and covering fire Colonel Atkins called her on the radio. “Do you have eyes on the compound Reaper?”

“Affirmative Grizzly, we’re looking at a large three story affair. I see three patrolling the perimeter, one in the third floor balcony, one guarding the main door and another by what looks like some sort of cellar door on the south wall. I’ll have to take out the one in the balcony first followed by the one at the entrance, they’ll see you coming otherwise.”

As we crouched by the eight foot stone fence that surrounded the home Grizzly laid out the game plan. “Reaper, once we’re over the wall take out the one on the balcony, then the door guard. After that take down any other available targets and be prepared to give cover fire if needed. We’ll approach as quickly and quietly as possible and once inside Hammer and I will check the top floors. Tank and Spitfire, you’ve got the main floor.” He turned to each of them as he said their call sign and assignment and finally it was my turn. “Mad Mac I want you to check out that cellar. We go in, look for any traces of the hostages or that weapon, and take out any resistance. Wait until the all clear before you move any of those hostages, I don’t want them killed in a crossfire. Let’s do this!”

With that we made our way swiftly over the wall and I had barely hit the ground on the other side when I heard Reaper in my earpiece. “Target one down… Target two down. Careful boys you have a patroller incoming from your left. I don’t have a clear shot on him from this angle.”

I looked toward my left and saw the target. He was stick figure thin and in the darkness his eyes glowed with an eerie green light. He was twenty feet away and closing on the bushes we were hiding in. “Aye, I got ‘im,” I said, throwing my combat knife and catching the approaching man in the throat. He let out a brief gasp of surprise, followed by a sickening gurgle before falling to the ground, shuddering and choking, and finally laying still.

I retrieved my knife, wiping it clean on the man’s clothes before putting it back in its sheath, and then I made my way to the south wall as the others headed for the main entrance. Halfway there I heard Reaper again. “The cellar guard is down, your way is clear Mac. The second patroller is down too Grizzly, there’s one more but he’s on the far side of the house heading north, I’ll take him down when he reappears.”

“Affirmative, thanks Reaper,” Grizzly and I spoke almost in unison.

I hit the south wall and turned the corner to see the crumpled form of the guard twenty feet ahead. I stepped gingerly past him and made for the large wooden cellar door. It was heavy, but I was a pretty strong guy so I managed it without too much trouble. I was just heading down the stairs when Reaper said, “Shit! We’ve got a teleporter and she’s moving fast.”

“What’s she up to Rea… huuuuurk…” Grizzly stuttered the last and then went silent.

“You boys need to get out of there, she’s teleporting her people out, we’re compromised,” Reaper half growled in my earpiece.

“Fuck that! She just killed Grizzly! I’m taking that bitch dow… aaaarrrghhh!”

“Tank!” Spitfire shouted, “Oh God she just tore him in half!”

I was torn, uncertain what to do as I heard Spitfire and Hammer scream out next. It was far too quiet and my heart was beating a mile a minute in my chest as I stood there in that dark damp stairwell. I could see a hallway ahead of me as I skulked in the shadows, concrete walls and floors with a series of thick steel doors to either side, and in the center of the hall there was a large silver device. I heard a sniffing sound behind me and a woman’s voice suddenly spoke. “Hi there, I’m Phantom. My, aren’t you a big strapping man? And one of us too, or rather you would be if you were Activated. It will be interesting to see how you turn out, if you live.”

I had been slowly reaching for my knife, but before I could put my hand on the hilt it vanished in a puff of smoke, followed quickly by my assault rifle and sidearm. Unarmed as I was I threw my elbow back toward her with all the force I could muster. There was nothing there, she vanished before the impact, reappearing before me from a cloud of black smoke. She was tall and slender, clad in a black dress and cloak, and both her hair and skin were white as a sheet. She had a cruel smile on her face, a face dominated by glowing red eyes. I punched her, but my hand just flew through a cloud of black smoke and she was gone.

Her voice sounded from behind me again as a cold finger traced along my jawline. “Well I’d love to stay and play, but that thing is going to go off any minute and I don’t want to be here when it does. I tell you what though big boy, if you manage to survive we’ll play again sometime. Enjoy your rebirth. Oh, and try not to die.” Then she was gone.

I nearly collapsed to the floor, gasping for air and my heart pounding in my chest. I forced myself to stand up, taking a quick look around before checking out the device in the middle of the concrete hallway. It was counting downward, with less than three minutes on the clock. “Reaper if yer still there, ya need ta bail. I found some sorta bomb. There’s less than two minutes thirty afore she blows.”

“Get the hell out of there!” she shouted back into my ear.

I was already checking out the steel doors in the hallway, there were six on each side. The doors each had a small window and beyond those doors were small dank and dirty concrete cells, without even any beds, the only furniture was a bucket in the corner. The occupants were all female, most of the rooms playing host to two girls, while a couple only had one. I wanted to take them with me and get out fast, but they all seemed to be heavily drugged, hardly aware of what was going on around them, so getting them up and running wasn’t going to be an option.

Maybe I could disarm the bomb? I hurried back to the device, but it seemed that I had taken too long checking the cells. 10… 9… and now we’re back to where we started. This flashback has been brought to you by “Omigod we’re all gonna die!”, and we will now return you to the death of Maddock Ainsley, already in progress.

As the heat washed over me I had barely enough time to realize that this was one of the single occupant rooms. The girl looked about the average age for the group of girls that ranged from six or seven all the way up to near adult. She was only a tiny slip of a thing with short hair, as bright red as my own. I could only stare ahead as the pain and heat tore through me, watching helplessly as the girl in front of me began to change form into some transparent pixie or something and then with a final scream evaporated into nothing. Oh God, that girl couldn’t have been more than thirteen.

The heat that had now become my entire existence didn’t seem to be from the bomb, there had been no fiery blast, no shockwave, only a fire that burned inside me and a bright red glow that surrounded my contorting body. My bones, muscles and flesh were being pulled, pushed, compressed and twisted, and I seemed to be shrinking out of my clothes. I was soaked in sweat and it felt like something was eating me alive from the inside, devouring Maddock and leaving something else in his place. A sudden snapping of the bones in my shoulders and hips and a wrenching of my insides caused me to scream out in agony, the bright glow around me flaring, causing the sweat pouring from my body to turn to steam and steam drying my clothes. Then, as the heat flared again from another excruciating round of snapping bones and twisting guts, everything I was wearing was incinerated, leaving nothing left but ash.

It was then that it all seemed to end; the agony was gone, leaving me feeling strangely empty inside, and the bright glow around me faded and then vanished. A curtain of long copper ringlets fell over me and I reached out to brush it away from my face. After getting a bit tangled in what seemed to be my hair I finally managed to brush it aside and for a moment I just stared at my hands, they were so tiny now, tiny and feminine. I was afraid to look down, but I did and found myself staring at a similarly tiny and feminine body. I had breasts, pale white with pink nipples, a splash of freckles across them, and almost a full handful, though that might not be saying much if my hands were as small as they currently seemed to me.

Reaching down I frantically checked my crotch searching for a familiar piece of equipment that I feared would no longer be there. Those fears were confirmed by the presence of a feminine slit with only a small tuft of pubic hair. I knelt there in horror for several minutes as I wondered just what had happened to me and who, or what I was now. I was still me, in my mind at least, but my body was changed and probably not even recognizable to me anymore. Worse yet, while I was mentally freaking out about being changed and the differences in my body, I knew that deep down this body didn’t really feel as horribly wrong to me as I felt it should. So… Maddock really was dead then, his only remains now ash on the floor. The realization hit me like a hammer, around the same time as my exhaustion, and as I passed out on the floor of the cell my last thought was, “Who am I now and where do I go from here?”

Copyright © 2019 Amethyst Gibbs
up
314 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So, What Now?

Poor woman is going to have to start from scratch. I wish her the best.

As to the other, Her parents having died in a plane crash. The other day I read that Doctors often die in plane crashes. Sad.

Gwen

A rough road ahead

Amethyst's picture

She has a lot to figure out now, seeing as she probably couldn't go back to the army, and if she goes to her sister for help will she even believe her. She's not alone though so maybe she'll find some help among the prisoners she was trying to save, unless Phantom gets to her first.

Sadly it does seem that a lot of Doctors die on planes for some weird reason, though that wasn't really foremost in my mind while writing.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Considering that Phantom will

Considering that Phantom will have _no idea_ who she is, Phantom's likely to end up dead. Fast. Someone like that will always underestimate their opponent - sticking around to kill off people just to kill off people (when the bomb would have taken care of it)? That's pure "I'm better than you, and I enjoy this."


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Some good points there

Amethyst's picture

While Phantom can 'sniff out' people with dormant H Chromosomes, it's just a vague sense she wouldn't be able to match those people before and after Activation unless it were fairly obvious, such as a complete lack of physical changes, and Maddock could be any of the girls from those cells and thus could be underestimated. So it's just possible that she might find a sticky end at Maddock's hands.

Phantom also does possess the "I'm better than you, and I enjoy this" trait in spades, but she had a reason for killing off the normal humans in this case, it was just a happy coincidence that she could kill some 'norms' while doing it . Also, as will be covered in the next chapter, the bomb wasn't exactly a normal bomb.

I just love it when my stories bring up so much discussion :)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Not Sure....

Thing is, this setup apparently wasn't engineered by an anti-Hyper group, but by people who wanted to Activate Hypers who'd be able to survive a bombing (on their own, that being the logic of caging them individually). Those who couldn't survive, either because their powers were inadequate or because even under this extreme stress they didn't Activate, were no loss to the Omegas.

It seems like a lot of trouble to go through for sparring partners (if that's what Phantom wanted Maddock to become), so the assumption is they think they can turn the surviving new Hypers either into allies or slaves after they "harvest" them. Our author says the bomb was unusual; were they able to get a Tinker to create one that'd somehow make sure the newbies could be bent to Omega's will? The fact that the Omegas chose preteen and teen girls may suggest something along those lines in terms of their being more impressionable, insecure or less self-assertive than boys or older girls. The girls they chose might even have been prescreened for those traits; there's no assurance that it'll carry over to their Activated personalities, but there's still the same mind inside the new and improved body, so it may not be a bad bet.

Eric

So many interesting thoughts

Amethyst's picture

I just love getting people thinking. The bomb itself was stolen from an anti-Hyper group, but Omega has their own agenda. Also keep in mind that there were two compounds where captives were being held and we don't know what happened at the other one or who was held there.

Teens and preteens could indeed be easy for them to manipulate once Activated, but Omega would need to be careful to not underestimate these kids just because they are both young and girls. Even the tiniest girl could be hiding a powerful Telepath or someone with subtle yet dangerous powers like Gorgon (Becca) from the Brat Pack who can choose how the laws of the universe effect her. Hell, a 5 year old girl could become as powerful as Paragon, Stellar, or Moonchilde under the right conditions. Activation is unpredictable by nature, unless you could control every possible thought, environmental condition, and a host of other factors.

Most likely though, they're hoping to increase their numbers and maybe get control of a real powerhouse, and it's not unheard of to use children and orphans as guinea pigs. That is after all how Stellar and Chassis got Activated. Pre-screening would be difficult if you're trying to do things on the sly though. Far easier to get them in bulk and hope to get lucky. Phantom can literally sniff out H Chromosomes and is a teleporter, so it wouldn't be a lot of effort for her to collect a large number of test subjects by going to various orphanages.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Even more, if it works, they

Even more, if it works, they could gather humans with H chromosomes willing to risk death for activation. Especially ones willing to agree to join them.

However, with that risk of death, they'd have to show that it WILL work, even if only on one in 10. Lots of people think they can beat the odds. That's how Las Vegas continues to exist.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Some people might be willing

Amethyst's picture

Some people might be willing to risk it, even at a 5 or ten percent chance. A little genetic Russian roulette might be worth it if a person really wants powers and knows that they're dormant.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

John Lennon said...

TheCropredyKid's picture

..."All rock stars die in plane crashes."

 
 
 
x

Hmmm. So he wasn't a rock

Hmmm. So he wasn't a rock star?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

What he meant

TheCropredyKid's picture

was that it always seems sudden and unexpected.

 
 
 
x

John Lennon

TheCropredyKid's picture

Some years before his death, John Lennon said "All rock stars die in plane crashes" - a crazed fan was his plane crash.

 
 
 
x

Life altering events do seem

Amethyst's picture

Life altering events do seem to bring up the big philosophical questions don't they?

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Pulse pounding

Nyssa's picture

Great action start that introduced our (former) tough guy quite well. I'm guessing Maddock lost more than size and an external urethra, but some apparent age too? I hope this does become a regular for you, looks like great fun.

Losses

Amethyst's picture

Your guess would be right. As seen in other Hyperverse stories, what a person is thinking about when their H Chromosomes Activate can heavily influence the Archetype that creates their powers and form. The girls in the cells and particularly the thirteen year old in front of him were heavy on his mind at the time so it's not surprising that he (now she) would take such a form. It remains to be seen what her powers are yet though.

I'm thinking this will probably be a regular thing since it's turning out easy to write and a lot of fun too, with fairly short chapters. The reaction so far has been really positive too.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Nice start.

WillowD's picture

I know Dorothy commented on this first but I'm sticking with it since it was my first thought before I read the comments.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks Willow

Amethyst's picture

I'm glad people are enjoying this, it was a lot of sun to write and I'm halfway through the next chapter already, I'll just need to decide a good day to post it weekly before I jump back into my regular schedule next Wednesday. I'm thinking Saturday or Monday since I usually do Syryn's Song on Sundays. Either way it would work well into the schedule.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

looks to be the start of

looks to be the start of another great story from you.

Thanks

Amethyst's picture

I think this one is going to be a lot of fun to write, and I'll try to make it a fun ride for my readers as well.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Good set-up

erin's picture

A gritty but cinematic world, a reflective action hero, and a nasty villain who may think she's the hero of the piece.

I'm looking forward to more.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Thanks Erin

Amethyst's picture

I was a little worried that the flashback taking up most of the chapter would be disconcerting for people, but I really needed to give the readers a good idea of who Maddock was before the change. Some of the grittiness should remain as the story progresses, but there will be a lot of emotion and reflection as well to balance it out, probably some laughs and silliness too at times.

I'm really glad people are enjoying it and I've been having a lot of fun playing around with the next chapters.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Nice Start

Elsbeth's picture

Great start Amethyst, looking forward to more

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Thankee Elsbeth

Amethyst's picture

I'm glad you enjoyed it and it's good to see you back and posting :)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Yea!!!! : )

New story!

alissa

Yup

Amethyst's picture

And it should be an interesting ride :)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

A renewed beginning

Jamie Lee's picture

All good things start at the beginning and discover their path as time goes on. Maddock knew he had a dormant H chromosome but not how he would be affected if it activated.

Was his thinking about the young girls held prisoner the reason he now is a girl? Or would he have been a girl regardless? Genie's out of the bottle so there's no way to know for sure.

What he once was has changed, but with what abilities? Does she now have the right abilities to defeat Phantom? Will she be accepted by those still alive after the device detonated?

Others have feelings too.