Police Academy Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version

Katlain looks at the police precinct she had been sent too. The place looked like it was undergoing a renovation. The old-style architectural design made it stick out in the neighborhood it was located in. All the building surround it were high class classic designs and a few more modern designed homes.

She walks into the place, avoiding some construction guys as they walked passed her. The precinct was twenty minutes away from her house. She had her personal Springfield XDs .45 in her waist holster. She didn’t care for the Glock 22 that much.

Detective Harrison told her that Sergeant Amy Hudson would assign her a weapon when she showed up. She spots a man with a military-style hair cut, standing behind a counter talking to several uniform police officers. She walks up to the counter “excuse me, but I’m here to see
Sergeant Amy Hudson. Could you direct me to where she is, please?”

Sergeant Grant looks at the petite brown hair girl standing in front of his counter. He notices she was wearing a weapon on her right hip and had her badge sitting next to it. She didn’t look tough enough to be a police officer.

“Who are you and why do you need to speak with Sergeant Hudson?”

“My name is Katlain Zane and I was told to report to her.”

“Who told you to report to Sergeant Hudson?” sergeant Grant hadn’t been informed about any transfers coming to the 15th precinct.

“Detective Harrison from IA and Police Commissioner Sammy Clarke sent me here.”

Sergeant Grant checks his active police officers list to see if anything had been entered about a Katlain Zane. He finally spots her name and she was listed as a detective and assigned to the special task force under Sergeant Hudson’s command.

“Follow me.” Sergeant Grant gets one of the uniform officers to cover the desk.

He comes from behind the counter and guides Katlain down a hallway to a special door with a biometric reader. He pulls his card out and slides it through the card reader connected to it.

“Place your hand on the palm reader and hold it there for a few seconds.”

Katlain places her hand on the panel. She watches as her fingerprints appear on a small screen. She watches as Sergeant Grant enters a code.

“That should be it. Sergeant Hudson will give you your Identity card when you see her.”

“Thanks.” Katlain opens the door and enters the room.

Katlain couldn’t believe what she sees when she walks into the room. The room had huge monitors mounted to the wall and video feed from all over the city. There had to be at least ten desk and people at all the desk, except one. Directly in front of her was another room with a woman who had to be in her late forties and early fifties sitting behind behind a huge desk.

One of the guys sitting at a desk near her “what can we do for you, Ms?”

“I’ve been assigned to this unit and I’m to report to a sergeant Hudson.” Katlain watches as the woman in the office gets up and steps out of it.

“I’m sergeant Hudson. You must be Katlain Zane?” Sergeant Hudson pays attention to Katlain to try to get a read of her.

“Yes ma’am, I am.” Katlain walks towards her.

All the men currently in the office pay attention to Katlain as she walks towards their sergeant. They already had one woman on the task force. She transferred in from narcotics. Now they had another woman and they couldn’t tell where she was from.

Katlain walks into sergeant Hudson’s office and shuts the door behind her.

“Have a seat, Mrs. Zane.” Sergeant Hudson’s sits in her chair.

“Thanks, Mrs. Hudson.” Katlain sits down in the chair in front of the desk.

Sergeant Hudson looks at the young girl sitting in front of her desk. Detective Harrison and his partner said she was just out of the academy, but she already had several major arrests under her belt. Detective Harrison also told her, that Mrs. Zane has major street knowledge of the criminal element in the city.

“So, Mrs. Zane what type of weapon is that in your holster?”

“A Springfield XDs .45. I prefer it over the Glocks the academy trained me on.” Katlain would prefer to use her XDs, instead of the issued
weapon.

“Well, while you serve on this task force, you’ll use your issued weapon. You can keep your personal weapon as a backup. Also, I was told you use to help out Internal Affairs as well.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“What type of work did you do for them?” Sergeant Hudson had done some digging into Mrs. Zane.

“I can’t go into details about what I did for them. That’s between me and them.” Katlain wasn’t going to reveal what she did for them.

“I’m your superior and you're under my command. So, you will reveal what you did for them.” Sergeant Hudson wanted to see how loyal and trustworthy she was.

Katlain leans towards her “I’m going to say this once and once only. What I did for Detective Harrison and Internal Affairs is none of your business. If you keep asking me that same question, I won’t hesitate to shoot you myself.”

A smile appears on Sergeant Hudson’s face. She has to give this girl, points for being loyal.

“You do know that was a test, don’t you?”

“Yes, but I wanted you to know, that it would take you killing me to get any information out of me. I know what information is worth out on the streets and too crooked cops.”

“Are you saying I’m crooked?”

“No ma’am, just if you had kept on pressing me about what I did. One of us would be escorted out of here with new shiny jewelry .”
A smile appears on Sergeant Hudson’s face. She like this woman’s spunk.

“Then I don’t have to tell you, that the cases we work on are confidential and no one is to know what we do in this office. I see that you have a newborn. Is it going to be a problem for you out in the field?”

“No, ma’am. I have everything arranged on that part.”

“Very well. Now, let's get you your identity badge and issue you your weapon.” Sergeant Hudson reaches down into the left-hand drawer of her desk and pulls out a Glock 22 in a holster.

Once she shuts that drawer, she reaches into the middle drawer of her desk and pulls an id card with Katlain’s picture already on it. She also pulls out some paperwork as well.

“Sign these, please.” Sergeant Hudson slides the paperwork towards Katlain.

Katlain pulls a pen out of her back pocket and signs the forms given to her. She made sure to read them first. Basically, it was saying she was receiving a Glock 22 with and her identity card, along with a confidential agreement that she wouldn’t say what went on in the unit.

Once Katlain was done, she hands them back to sergeant Hudson “there you go, ma’am.”

Sergeant Hudson looks over the paperwork to make sure everything was right. She puts them in the folder she had for Katlain Zane.

“Your all done. Your desk is over there next to Detective Carter. He will be your partner, so learn as much as you can from him.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Katlain stands up.

Sergeant Hudson stands up as well and extends her hand out to Katlain.

Katlain shakes sergeant Hudson’s hand.

“Welcome to the team.”

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay!

WillowD's picture

I thought this story was finished. I am thoroughly delighted to be wrong.

Thank you Lady Dragon.

What type of garbage is Katlain getting into

Jamie Lee's picture

Out of one fire and maybe into another? Might see discover another group of bad cops juicing the system to their gain?

Wonder how her new partner will take to her reaction if they try hazing her as the newcomer?

Others have feelings too.