Anchors Aweigh – 19 The Game End with a Bang!

Printer-friendly version


Anchors Aweigh – 19
The Game Ends with a Bang!


By Jessica C



=^_^=~

Even doing the same cheers was more exciting because we’re playing the 2A - State Championship game. A basketball official chiding Lieutenant Fields caught everyone by surprise as did her answer about singing the National Anthem. He tried to cover the mistake by saying, the National Anthem was to be sung between games.

Unfortunately for him, the head official acknowledged they made a mistake. The National Anthem was usually sung at the beginning of the morning, then the afternoon session as well as before the evening session.

With the American Legion Color Guard marching out on to the floor with the four Navy women, two other sailors and two marines in uniform. The saying of the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the National Anthem became very special to everyone in the arena. With my uniform, I was conspicuously nervous as I came to attention and saluting. I knew I was neither official nor anyone special. But being in an abbreviated uniform I suspected my father and other servicemen and veterans might be watching me.

Going by my father’s expression afterward, I figured he was pleased with how I handled myself. Sonja was standing next to my Father and she gave me a thumb’s up as well.

=^_^=~

Our Cheer team traditionally stands until our team makes its first basket. The other team’s unusually tall center at 6’ 7” won the toss had they tried for the first basket but her shot was off.

We weren’t standing too long as Kaylea made her first basket from the corner for three points. It was an aggressively fast-paced played game by both teams. Besides the teams calling time outs, the officials called three extra timeouts in the first half. That kept us cheerleaders extra busy.

During one cheer someone in the stands yelled he could see my boy parts. One woman official first asked me, if that was possible. After I told her I had a gaff on that sealed away that possibility, she was comfortable. But then the senior official asked that she take me off the court and be sure. The game would go on without me. It was embarrassing to me as if I was showing it was now a woman who was checking me. Thankfully Audrene Trullo made herself available and went with me.

It took five minutes just to get to the locker room, time wot be checked with me moving in different directions and another five minutes to get back to the game.

=^_^=~

While there were under two minutes to play in the first half. I was glad to see the Destroyers had a three-point lead and had the basketball. Our Kristin was on the bench as the Coach didn’t want her to pick up a third foul before halftime. Trish Dunlavy was also out of the game as the trainer had Trish’s shoe off and was retaping her ankle. That meant they were shy two starters as they were playing. When Aronia had the ball they tried pressuring her more, but Coach had this team experienced and playing well. Aronia instead of panicking drove for the basket and passed it off quickly to Jenn who took and swished a shot from beyond the three-point mark.

Quickly going on defense they were ready for the Cavaliers and kept them from scoring. With seven seconds to go, Coach Daley called a time out. I was delighted to get a chance to cheer again. Despite most knowing I had been taken off the court and checked the heckler was back at giving me a hard time, making accusations. I did the cheer including a flip and a tumble that exposed my underside. The Official stopped the game and asked for security to escort the heckler out of the arena.

I was happy as the Cavalier cheerleaders also clapped as he was being taken from his seat and out of the arena.

Back to the closing seconds of the first half it only took three seconds to get the ball up court to Kaylea. Instead of shooting a three-point shot she charged dribbling straight for the basket straight taking on their tall girl. Taking a step to her right, she shot with her hand away from the big player. A foul whistle sounded as the ball was on its way. With the shot going in, it made it a possible three-point play. It also gave the other player her third foul. While Kaylea missed the foul shot, yet we had an eight-point lead at half time.

Coach House gave us the halftime to greet Jennifer Fields properly

I was stunned when Lieutenant Fields said, “It looks like you have become more comfortable as Rose. But I want to ask you seriously to give added consideration to going back to being Robert Anderson after the season is over.”

She saw I was disheartened, but said, “If you decide later to be Rose, you need to know you gave being Rob full and proper consideration.” While I was happy that my Father was not around to hear what she said? I knew Jennifer was correct and I needed to decide how I was going to handle it. She and I would need to talk later.

Principal Evens sought to find me and she did. She wanted to ask and apologize about my being embarrassed by the accusation and the official checking me. She knew from Mrs. Trullo that I had been well mannered through the whole examination. She even joked, “You know if you had handled yourself as Rob nearly as well as you handle yourself as Rose none of this would ever have happened.”

I said, “I didn’t and I for one am glad I’ve learned this way.” I excused myself and got back to the court as the teams were warming up for the second half.

=^_^=~

The game continued to be as exciting as anyone could ask. The Cavaliers cut the lead twice one to three points and another time to within two. The Destroyers played nine players while holding a seven-point lead with thirty seconds left. Kristin the only senior was on the court when Coach substituted for her. It gave us the opportunity to lead our fans in giving her a standing ovation.

I knew if it weren’t for being Dort, I would never have seen it as important to be there for Kristin or any girl.

When the waning seconds ticked off the clock and ended the game; I just stood there watching the other girls celebrate. Don’t take it wrong, I too would celebrate, but the players and the rest of the cheerleaders had waited and put in years of time. I was accepted as one of them, as evident with Jenn and Trisha both jumping into my arms. But I tremendously enjoyed just watching them. I felt like a younger girl watching the big girls.

I joined in with the other girls, students, and parents in celebrating with the players. The Championship Trophy was given to our team, only after the sportsmanship trophy was given to the Cavaliers along with the Second place trophy. I admit it was a little bit upset that we weren’t rewarded with the sportsmanship award. I wondered if I blemished our team’s chance by being on the team. Ann was nice enough to inform me that the award mort often went to the second, third or fourth place team.

When it was time to go back to the hotel and continue our celebration there; it was then I spotted Tim and his mother from the Trenton area group. I started to say thanks to Tim until I caught myself and said, “Tina and Mrs. Johnson, I am impressed that you stayed around. I am impressed with your dedication.”

Mrs. Johnson said, “Tim… Tina wanted to stay and express her admiration to you.”

Tina said, “I was impressed how well you handled yourself. I know it hurts when someone so rude heckles you from within the crowd.” She came to me and we hugged and her mother joined us. “I was glad when they stopped the game and had him kicked out of the arena. I wish I could be as strong as you.”

“Tina, you and the others are my inspiration. You are younger, I don’t believe I would have been as strong at your age. It still hurts now being older. I wanted to be as angry as Rob and go up into the stands after him and not let someone else handle it. I believe with all my heart I am a girl, Rose. Do you feel that way too?”

“If I’d let him,” his mother said. “With your help, maybe the time has come.” She opens her arms, “Tina, can you wait until summer break?” Tina broke down in her mother’s arms, "Yes most definitely I'm a girl."

=^_^=~

I went up to the players' room, only to find out that someone reserved a conference room on the third floor as a reception area. The players were changing and getting ready to go down there. Aronia called me into another room and two other players and a trainer were there. She said, “Come in here, we were going to throw you into the locker room shower and drench you as we disrobed you. But we were afraid of the ramifications.”

Jenn and Madi had gotten a hold of me and were forcing me into the bathroom and shower. I pulled in Jenn, but she didn’t mind as she had unbuttoned my blouse and was loosening my skirt until it dropped. Aronia had already said it, now it was Jenn’s turn, “You are not only one of the Cheer team but you’re one of us.” She said, “You being on our side of the court, endeared you to us unlike any other cheerleader in memory.” My panties and bra were now drenched and my panty soon dropped down.

“Shucks, we thought your boyhood was showing.” Jenn had a champion T-shirt on which now was soaked through. She gave me a hug and a big kiss, “Boy or girl, I love you. I am so grateful you made the mistake you did. It brought the better side out in you.”

There was a large shower towel waiting to be wrapped around me as I stepped out. There I was patting myself dry with another towel until I was dry enough to scoot on a pair of panties. Jenn handed me a bra saying, “This should fit you, it’s my off-season bra, it is slightly bigger than I need right now.”

There was a knock on the door and Shannon was there with one of my outfits. I said, “You knew and didn’t warn me.”

Shannon said, “It was a girl moment. I wasn’t going to take it from you. So is this as you scoot a skirt up under your towel showing as little as possible.” When it came time for the top I turned away from them. But before I could get on my blouse one of the Champion tops was put on me.


=^_^=~

Shannon and I went down with the team, but getting off at the floor of the reception was troubling. Shadows of the night I was jumped invaded to me. Shannon took a hold of me, telling me time and again that I was alright and safe.

It was the first time in getting off this elevator that I saw a picture across from the elevator. I saw it that night, and it was the catalyst to set me off now. Sonja had come out of the reception and at Shannon’s request took the picture down and put it out of sight. It was a while before I was ready to go into the reception. By that time Sharon, Anne and Therese were with my sisters and me.

Audrene Trullo and little Marie were soon with me. Audrene cuddled me on a couch and Marie was on the other side with her small voice saying, “You’ll be alright. My Mommy and your sisters will protect you.”

Audrene said, “Please let the warm memories and thoughts come to mind. These days have seen so much that has bad, happen to you. You didn’t let that stop you, you put your heart and soul into this; let it give birth to joy, not sorrow.”

Coming from Audrene in her eighth month, 'give birth', wasn’t lost on me. I smiled, brought Marie fully into my arms and gave her a big hug. I was soon back with the others in the celebration. I was taking pictures with my phone and getting pictures with me in them as well.


=^_^=~

It was soon announced that Kaylea and Kristin were named to the All Tournament’s first team. Jenn and others would be named to the second team or honorable mention. I automatically kicked up one leg and cheered jumping up and down.

It was Coach Daley that asked, “Which of you cheerleaders can do flips or cartwheels from one end of the conference room to the other?” It wasn’t that big of a deal, especially doing cartwheels, but with regular shoes, skirt, and top, they could be a challenge. Sharon and then Sandra both of them made it halfway doing flips and cartwheels the remainder of the way. Like Jenn, I made two forward flips and then I did one backward flip and continued the rest doing cartwheels.

Brady Thomas was at the end clapping and ready to give me a hug. I wasn’t any too happy that I felt comfort in the protection of Brad's arms, but I did find it comforting.

We were together for a while before he asked me, “If you can dress as Rose, would you allow me to take you to the Prom?” There wasn’t a question if I wanted to go to the Prom.

“Brad for real, are you asking me to the prom? …Yes, I’d love too.” Either I raised my voice or others were listening too closely as those around me congratulated me.

=^_^=~

Come morning, I was awake early with my sisters. They were going downstairs to have breakfast with our parents and I decided to go with them. I was surprised about going up to my Mother and Father and giving them hugs.

I was surprised as any hearing myself speak, “Dad, we have some real problems to work through. You embarrass me as well, but I still find myself so proud to be your daughter/child.”

Dad said, “You meant daughter, stick with that for now. I too am proud of you and your sisters. I guess you don’t think I say that enough. Right now let’s enjoy breakfast and today.”

To be continued…

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I am looking forward to see

how Dad resolves his inner conflict, Can't be easy for him.

Such a heart warming

Samantha Heart's picture

Tender careing chapter especially as they were now state champions. The next thing could be nationals.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

It happens often

Jamie Lee's picture

Because the Destroyers come from a small school, and the Caviliers from a large school, it is believed the larger school will prevail; more experienced players is also factored in.

But the Destroyers have nothing to lose going all out, nothing to defend from the previous year, just their undefeated record for the current year. What was written about the upcoming game unwillingly crept into the minds of the Caviliers, not causing them to play less than their hardest, but to underestimate the Destroyers just enough to lose the game.

Rose got a surprise when the players threw her into the showers, disregarding her male bits, and undressing her. As she was on display Rose was still told she was one of them.

Debra, and now Jennifer, to Rose to return to being Robert and give him a chance to be the best he can be. And if Rose needed to return than at least she did her best as Robert.

But can what Rose learned be transferred to Robert? Can Rose's demeanor become Robert's normal attitude? Rose has doubts to that happening and is afraid she'll revert back to Robert's old life when Robert returns. What she isn't seeing at the moment is all the support and respect she's earned because she stuck out the punishment and did her best not to embarrass anyone. Bringing Robert back now will result in different attitudes toward him than before. And because of that, and what he learned being Rose, Robert the second will be a much different person.

Dad made a statement by calling Rose his daughter. Because the girls have come to Rose's side, might dad be coming around to accepting Rose?

Others have feelings too.