Anchors Aweigh – 10 Submerged in Girl Time

Printer-friendly version


Anchors Aweigh – 10
Submerged in Girl Time


By Jessica C
=^_^=~


It was a double treat the day after Christmas, my Anderson grandparents were still here and Grandma Nobil came early. Cousin Nora stayed as well that we could go shopping together. I had planned to go shopping with Anne, Therese, and Trish Dunlavy but that would need to wait for the basketball trip to Cherry Hill.

While my sisters and cousin dressed comfortably in jeans, my grandparents were happy to see me in a new skirt outfit with leggings. And I had one gift card from Grandmother and Grandfather Anderson. Everyone loved my hair but agreed that it would take a while before I could change it. Come evening my sisters are planning on taking me out to dinner with them and their guy friends. But first, it is shopping.

We are first to Dillard’s an upscale department store where I need to take a skirt back. My grandparents had anticipated that I wore at least a size ten skirt. The one they got me was actually a size 10-12. I was going to keep it and just wear a tighter belt, but Sierra and Shannon said, no, that wouldn’t work.

It was very cold outside and Shannon said, “If you get a lined skirt you would feel and see the difference. I wouldn’t be surprised if you even chose to wear it tonight.”

There was no shortage of skirts to choose from, but even on sale, they were more than the twenty-five dollars that I would get back. Finally, Grandma Carol said, “Hurry and pick out three to choose from and we’ll go with the best buy.” I tried to discuss it with her, but she said, “Don’t argue, you will discover that it is worth the extra cost. Your sisters have at least two such skirts for you to choose from. If you don’t select one, I’ll be taking you home, and shopping for you will be done today.”

I quickly chose three I liked and tried them on. I, my sisters, and Cousin Nora agreed on two. When I was trying on the third skirt Grandma Anderson remarked, “You know Rose that you have just enough more to your bum than the average guy that you look kind of girly.” We decided to let Grandma Carol choose, and she chose to buy me the one I had on and one of the two that she liked better.

I jumped for joy and said, “Thanks Grandma,” as I gave her a big hug.

My Grandfather Geoff said, “I don’t mind buying the extra skirt. I am wondering if you have enough time to wear all the clothes you’re getting or do you intend to do this until the end of the school year?” I hadn’t worried about those things, but he inadvertently put an idea into my head.

“Grandfather, I have over two months to wear them. I’m wearing some of them to school now, so that’s not a problem.”

Grandmother asked, “What do you do about going to the toilet or fixing your hair and makeup during school?”

I respond, “I have to go use the bathroom at the nurse’s office. Though some girls have pushed or pulled me into the girls’ room. All I get is a small lecture or warning if someone tells on me.”

My Grandmother said, “You say ‘other girls’ like you’re one of them.”

“I know I’m not a girl, but I am usually with someone from the cheer or basketball teams and I feel like one of them. They’re coming to see me as part of their teams. I don’t know exactly when it happened, but it has gone from my punishment to something that has enhanced the team I enjoy being part of that. I never felt a part of something like this before.”

Sonja is there and pulls me in for a hug, “Grandma, it is enjoyable to see Rose out and about. She has become happier and takes part in more things. I thought I was going to be embarrassed, having my brother in a dress. Instead, I now have a younger sister. It is now harder on me when he dresses as Robert at home.”

We continued shopping and my sisters have found a good sale on leggings and long sweaters. I was just watching until Shannon came with a short red skirt and a sweater I had commented on. “Now all you need to do is find a pair of leggings to go with them.” She, my grandmothers, and I looked until we found three. Grandma Nobil actually found a short black skirt, saying, “Getting this will give you more options.”

It was like a smorgasbord in the changing room. I would try several combinations and go out in the best one with the red skirt and then another with the black skirt. I would have gotten the two outfits until Sonja spoke up.

Then Sonja had found a bright navy blue skirt that she said, I should have instead to wear to the basketball tournament. That led to purchasing a white blouse with a blue silk scarf. And instead of putting back either of the other outfits, I was adding a ton of girl clothes to my wardrobe.

I wasn’t complaining, but I was upset that Grandfather Anderson said it was proof I was becoming a girl.

When we got back to the house. I quickly changed into some of my boy clothes and took off my makeup. I combed my hair into a boy’s style and went back out to be with the family.

My father came over and standing next to me he gave me a hug. “I heard your Grandfather kind of teasing you. I hope you know you don’t need to prove anything.”

=^_^=


Anne and Trish had come over and were surprised to see me as Rob. Trish commented, “You know that your complexion is so much better and with the body your hair has. It is easy for me to still see Rose.”

Anne said, “Besides that not many boys have their nails painted.” Sure enough, I hadn’t thought to take the nail color off.

I was now starting a list in my mind of things I would need to change when going back to Rob.

My mother had several soups and the makings for sandwiches and salads for dinner. The older people were around the dining room table.

My sisters, stopped me from eating, reminding me I needed to change and get ready to go out with them. The old me would have complained about needing to change, but not Rose. Once I changed into my leggings and put on my skirt, I invited Anne and Trish back up to my room with Shannon. We were pressed for room around mirrors to do makeup. I gave up and allowed Anne to do my makeup for me. She and Trish went all the way, selecting earrings as well as the style of my hair. When I wanted to put on the long sweater that went with the outfit; they chose a long satin blouse and a long lace vest sweater to go over it. I agreed with them that it made a very attractive outfit. But such an outfit was usually worn by a girl when she was out to impress someone. I was going out with my sisters and their dates. I had no one I was trying to impress.

Adriana was the first to arrive to go out with Shannon. Grandma Nobil knew that Adriana and Shannon were an on again, off-again item. But our Anderson grandparents, I don’t think did. Soon Steve and Jacob were there which didn’t surprise me. Brad Thomas coming through the door with them did.

Quickly I turned to Sierra, “No one said anything about me going with someone.”

Her retort was, “And I noticed you weren’t asking.” Whispering she said, “You can nicely tell him to leave.” Sonja must have told them that Brad and I went out before.

I went over to Brad and stood with him whispering, “Please relax but please don’t say anything; my grandparents don’t know that we’ve dated.”

When Grandmother Carol saw him she did ask about him being there. Brad said, “There are times I go with Rose as an escort to kind of balance things off. Other times for the school to help make sure she is safe.” She seemed to be okay with that explanation. Somehow I felt that Grandma Nobil knew better but didn’t say anything.

We went out to dinner and then to ‘Way to Go’ where we could dance and have a good time. This time, I felt more comfortable dancing with Brad. Sierra had taken time to teach me to dance better as a girl. She had clowned with me saying it would help me enjoy my Christmas as a girl. She must have already known this time was coming.

It was near the time to go home Brad asked, “Would you go to the New Year’s Eve party at Holly’s? Thirty of us were invited and asked to bring a friend.”

I said, “I’d be glad to but I will need to ask permission. Are Holly’s parents going to be there? I’m sure my parents will need to know they’ll be there.”

Brad jokes, “Why it’s not like they have to worry about you having sex and you getting pregnant?” For once I didn’t find boy humor as funny and I let Brad know it.

=^_^=


Before we got home Shannon spoke to me, “Rose please refresh your lipstick and check your face.”

Brad gave me a kiss and said goodbye before I went into the house. I was surprised shortly after I got into the house; mom asked, “What were you up to that you redid your makeup?”

I calmly said, “Mom, I didn’t do anything, I thought I just knew a girl touched up her makeup during the course of the evening. It upsets me that you thought you needed to ask.”

My mother smiled, “It was just unlike you to be gone several hours and not to be a little unraveled.”

Shannon spoke up, “Mother, Rose isn’t quite like Robert. I would have thought you noticed that.” She turned to me, “I am proud that you spoke up for yourself Rose. That isn’t like Robert either.”

The following day I needed to pack for the basketball tournament as we’d be staying overnight, one to three nights. If we made it to the championship game; we could be staying an extra night since the game could last until ten o’clock or after.

It was expected by the so-called experts we would lose our first game against Trenton’s Kennedy High School; presently ranking first in the tournament and second in the state. Our team thought they could surprise and beat anybody the way they were playing.

Today we were all going to have family pictures taken for Grandmother Nobil. I thought I’d be asked to dress as Robert, but the photographer knew about me and said she could impose a picture of Robert from the fall to make a second family picture if needed. It was back to the salon in the morning before the pictures. We went to two salons and Grandma came with Shannon and me.

I was sitting to have my hair done when my phone let me know I had a call from the USS Cook, Debra Triens was calling. “Hi Rose, we hadn’t heard from you and wondering if you got the gift we sent before we left port. We were taken with all your help.

“Our order to ship out has sent us back to the Med… O that’s for the Mediterranean and our port there. We do have an assignment… That’s a no can tell. I hope you will keep us updated on your tournament. We expect your team to have a good shot at an upset in your first game. We want the Spirit team to excite not only your own fans but suggest you get other fans to root for your team as well… Lieutenant Fields said, ‘If you won over other fans with you and your team got off to a hot start, it could shake their home-court advantage.”

She changed the subject “Enough of that, how are you doing? It sounds like you are at a public place what’s up?”

“Deb, I’m at a salon getting ready for a family picture.” I tell Megan, “You’re supposed to say hi to some of my friends on the USS Cook it’s on its way to cruise in the Mediterranean Sea.”

Megan tries to speak while I hold the phone but Deb wanted to say hi directly to her. Megan tells her that I am even more beautiful than before. She explains what she’s planning to do differently.

Megan later said to me, “I didn’t know you were the one who did all the work to connect your team with the ship. That was very impressive of you.” We talk a lot more this time. Megan said, “How have you liked your Christmas as a girl? Did you get any gifts that Rose can use the next two months?”

“Megan, I have trouble believing how many people have been nice to me. Needless to say, I’ve gotten my share of being hassled, but it’s how nice others like you have been to me. …Since they’re mostly other girls or women I wonder if that’s the reason. I usually experience the world from a guy’s viewpoint.”

Megan said, “I had four brothers growing up. When I was a teenager I stayed over longer with my friends. There were plenty of times I couldn’t stand the things they said and how mean they could be.”

Soon my hair was done and Megan did my makeup as Drea did my nails. She was halfway done my second hand when I saw that she had put on some decorations. They were a ship silhouette coming head-on.

Megan said, “Your sister received the decals and now they’ll be set on there by using some setting lamps. That is what Ensign Deb called about. She needed to make sure I received them and we're putting them on.”

=^_^=


I noticed Grandma was done and watching me. She asked, “Dose Rose look any different than the first time you had her as a customer?”

Megan replied, “This is actually the third time I’ve seen your granddaughter. She has been prettier each time. The biggest change has been how much she changed as a girl. Now her complexion, hair, and the demeanor of how Rose carries herself is so much more like a natural girl.”

“She would have been uncomfortable with a short skirt like that before. She was always pulling the hem down. She told me before she was going to get to enjoy the holiday as a girl. If she hadn’t told me, I would be worried that someone had set out to change Robert into a girl.”

=^_^=


We were soon done there and to the photographer’s studio. Several pictures were taken there with Grandma and then another picture at a city park which looked like a winter wonderland. There had been a fresh coat of snow on the pine trees and ground.

Then I got another call, this one from Ann; it was to remind me that the cheer team was to see the basketball team’s bus off at 3:30. I had forgotten and it would cause me to rush. Shannon hurried me home, and I quickly set to change over to Dort. I put on my good satin blouse and had put on my short blue skirt. I knew another one was there but didn’t have time to search for it.

We went quickly over to the school. Shannon joined the crowd to see them off and I was with the cheer team. We gave the team members hugs and two packets of goodies, one from us and another from area businesses and boosters. There were more businesses and boosters supporting the girls’ team.

My behind got cold when we were out around the bus.

Anne came over to me, “I bet that is the last time you forget leggings or tights on an occasion like this.” It was a minute before the Coach spoke and they were to be on their way. I took the team flag and began running and waving the flag as I ran around the bus two times. By that time the fans were again excited and cheering loudly.

Basketball Coach Cathy Daly took over and spoke to the crowd. “We’re happy to see all of you here and hope to see as many as possible at the Cherry Hill Coliseum tomorrow night and two nights after that for the championship game. We believe we’re going to upset our host. They might have thought they got an easy first game draw. But we see it as a prelude for the state playoffs at the end of February.”

“The past few weeks you’ve become the best fans in the state. We thank those who helped us to get the attention of the sports media. Now we need to earn the respect of them and the state.”

She said, “I’m not sure who was carrying the School flag and getting you all excited. It didn’t quite look like Dort.” I was standing right next to the school bus and I know Coach Daley had looked right at me. I did a kick and then shouted as I pumped my fist in the air. She said, “It is nice to have that kind of spirit behind us now!” With that, she stepped back. The team waved from the windows and Coach was on board with the door closing.

=^_^=


I was up before 5 o’clock in the morning. I swore at the breakfast table, “I can wait until this getting up early to be ready as a girl is over!” Shannon, who woke up and got ready with me, just giggled that she would wait and see. Shannon was good for me. She would speak up sometimes, but mostly listened and helped me.

We were to be at the bus by 6:00 which we were. But it took a half-hour more before we were on the road. I didn’t realize until Shannon got on the bus, that she was the person I was to share a room with. She had been on the first team Coach Daley coached at our school. With the only compensation being, expenses for the trip, Shannon was now a volunteer coach. It was necessary that I had an acceptable chaperone.

Though we weren’t technically supposed to do it on the bus, Sharon and Sandra drilled me in doing some of the cheers. I mentioned to them the idea of bringing other fans on board in rooting for us against Chargers of Cherry Hill. They like the idea but none of us knew for sure how many if any would respond.

I tried connecting with our friends aboard the USS Cook. This time it was Lieutenant Fields who took our call. She said, “I am just about to pull night duty, so let’s be quick. We are in the Med heading toward our Spanish port. It is good to hear from you, but we didn’t think your game wasn’t for another 12 hours at 1900.”

Sharon answered, “You’re right, we are on the spirit bus. We had to be up and out early this morning. We have brought your ship colors along with our school flag on the trip. Dort is due to wear her modified uniform tonight and for the championship game if we get that far.”

“Ouch!” I guess I had gotten lax and someone shot an elastic band hitting me on a bare leg near my panty. Audrene, another cheerleader, said, “You are on notice for leaving your soft area exposed.”

Someone else joked, “That’s what happens when Brad is not around to protect her.”

Anne joked, “And who’s going to stop Brad, he’s been getting closer?”

Story to be continued...

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

GO NAVY!!! BEAT ARMY!!!

Samantha Heart's picture

Oh wait wrong game lol. GO DESROYERS!!!! BEAT THE CHARGERS!!!! Im happy for Rose/Dort to be in the game & so willing and accepting of everything i feel she will be around even AFTER the Basketball/cheer seasion is over. As for Brad well i think i can safely say that i think Rose has a boyfrind.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Underdogs

Jamie Lee's picture

Righteous teams have a habit of believing they are going to knock off the underdogs they are playing, so might not play as hard as they should. And because they go into the game with the attitude that it will be a walk in the park, they sometimes lose. And lose big.

Rose may be premature in believing her days of being a girl, in order to be Dort, are coming to an end. As much as has been done to maintain the image of Rose she may find it exceedingly different to stop being Rose.

Others have feelings too.