Marcie And The Amazons: 6. The Manly Thing

Printer-friendly version

She paused, aghast at a sudden thought. "You're not a cheerleader, are you?"

"No," I said. "Never have been, never will be."

"Oh, good!" she cried, with obvious and immense relief. "I mean... not that there's anything wrong with cheerleaders!"

Marcie And The Amazons by Kaleigh Way

 

6. The Manly Thing

 

"Are you sure you're okay?" I asked her for the third time.

"Yeah," she pouted, stretching the "yeah" into two long syllables. "I'm fine. I always do things like that. I think I have everything in hand, and then I just spazz out. Sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" I asked her. "You saved me from that crowd of hyenas. It was amazing, the way you bossed them around. Even my mother was impressed."

"Really?" she said, brightening up. "Thanks! It's nice of you to say that!"

I was going to say that I wasn't being "nice," it was just the plain truth, but she spoke first.

"Do you mind checking my clothes again, to make sure nothing's ripped or raggedy or ruined?"

"Sure," I smiled, and Wiggy got up, awkwardly half-standing inside the car, turning every which way.

"You're good!" I announced, after brushing off an imaginary bit of dirt.

"Thanks," she smiled.

"So...," I prompted, "Cheerleaders?"

"Oh, yeah!" she said, remembering. "This trip is for the cheerleaders, and no, I am not a cheerleader." She paused, aghast at a sudden thought. "You're not a cheerleader, are you?"

"No," I said. "Never have been, never will be."

"Oh, good!" she cried, with obvious and immense relief. "I mean... not that there's anything wrong with cheerleaders! One wouldn't want to stereotype!"

"Of course not," I agreed.

"But they are so stupid," Wiggy confided in a low tone. She peered over the top of her glasses to see whether the driver heard. He wasn't listening. "I mean..." she huffed.

While she was talking, Wiggy pulled a piece of paper from her bag. She glanced at it before she handed it to me. "Anyway," she said, "here is the roster."

Across the top, in big dark letters, were the words: THE AMAZONS.

"Amazons?" I asked.

"It's the name of the squad," Wiggy explained. "National small-squad champs. Small squads are up to ten members. We have nine."

"Does that count you?"

"Pull-eeze! I'm the manager! Do I look like a cheerleader?"

"Oh! But, hey — aren't you guys from an all-girl school? Who do you cheer for?"

"Yes, we're from St. Oda's, and yes, it's an all-girl school. The Amazons cheer for St. Servaas', which is a all-boy school."

"Okay," I said. Then I looked over the roster Wiggy had given me, and here is what it said:

Captain: Mirina Manley

Tilda Knickerbocker (Knickers)
Iske Hoogaboom (Boogers)
Renske Onderdonk (Donkey)
Katrien Keese (Cakey)
Jetske de Graaf (Graffy)
Veerle de Groot (Grooty)
Romy Wubbels (Bubbles)
Belle Dubois (Ding-Dong)

Manager: Hedwig Wetherwax (Wiggy)

I felt a bit disoriented, reading that list. First of all, the names where unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Most of them, anyway. And then...

"Wiggy, these things in parentheses... are they..."

"Nicknames? Yes."

"But... but... these nicknames aren't just bad... they're mean!"

Wiggy shrugged. "It's part of being on the team. Mirina gives everybody a nickname, and it's like, uh... a red badge of courage, or something."

"Ugh. And how come Mirina doesn't have a nickname? Is she special?"

Wiggy pursed her lips. "Yes, Mirinia is special. I'd better give you the lowdown on *her* before we get to the airport." She glanced at her watch.

"I mean...," I went on, scanning the list again, "the only half-way normal nickname on here is Bubbles. No offense."

"None taken. Ironically, Bubbles is the only one who won't be here," Wiggy told me. "She's the one who got sick and had the idea of your going instead."

"Hmm. Can you give me her address, so I can write her a nice thank-you note?"

"Sure." She smiled. "So, anyway, about Mirina. Everything begins with Mirina, everything revolves around Mirina..."

"Why?" What was odd was that Wiggy wasn't complaining or mocking. She was just describing.

"She had the idea for the cheerleading squad in the first place. She had the idea that it stay a small squad, so it could compete against small squads. She had the idea for the name, and her father is the one who supports the team."

"Supports as in gives money?"

Wiggy gave an emphatic "Yes!" She gestured at the car, which was quite luxurious and roomy. "He's paying for this car, for example. He's paying for the trip. He plays for the uniforms (plural), the workout clothes, the jackets, transportation, special coaches, everything."

"Wow."

"Yes. And let me tell you, 'wow' doesn't begin to cover it. As long as Mirina is captain of the team, the money keeps coming, for pretty much anything we can justify as cheer-related."

"And is Mirina any good?"

"As a cheerleader? Yes, she's very good. And she's a natural leader. I mean, like I said, she's not smart, but she knows how to get people to do what she wants."

"And why are *you* involved, Wiggy?"

"Me?" she smiled coyly. "I'm involved because I've found a way to get something out of it."

"And that is?"

She smirked a little. "This is just between us, right? Well, I'm the manager, which means I get to book competitions. I find them, and I book them. If I can, I send us to places that *I* want to go, and I schedule side-trips to see the things that I want to see. I tell the cheerleaders that the side-trips are the educational or cultural part of the trip, so they think it's the school's idea."

"And so?"

"Well! It makes them not want to go! They usually skip the side-trips, and I get to go by myself!"

I pictured Wiggy being driven somewhere in a car just like this, a doorman helping her out, Wiggy eating an elegant lunch, going to a show...

"And it turns out that I need a very slick computer to keep track of equipment, bookkeeping, the schedule... and morpegs."

"Morpegs?"

"M-M-O-R-P-G? Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games," she laughed.

"What do online games have to do with cheerleading?" I asked, more than a little confused.

"Nothing!" she said, tossing her head a little. "It's what *I* get out of cheerleading."

"Oh!" I said. "Now I get it!"

"Yes," she agreed. "But like I said: don't tell anyone."

"I won't," I laughed. I was really beginning to like Wiggy. "But, wait... there was something I wanted to ask you, Wiggy... it was... oh, yeah! Does Mirina have a nickname? Or is she too special?"

"No," Wiggy smiled. "She has many nicknames, all variants of the same idea, and she hates them all, so you could say she has the *worst* nickname.

"Her last name is Manley, so we call her her manliness, or the manly one, or the manly girl, but mostly we call her your manliness or her manliness."

"And is she manly?" I asked.

"She was born Manley," Wiggy giggled. "But no, she's not manly at all. She's very girly. She hates the manly thing, but she can't really object, because she gave those nasty nicknames to everybody else."

"Yeah," I said. "I don't think I can call a girl Donkey or Boogers." I looked at the list again. "The name 'Knickers' isn't so bad..."

Wiggy giggled like mad. "You know what? Knickers means 'panties' in England."

"Really?" I asked. "Why?"

Wiggy shrugged.

"Do the girls know that?"

"No," Wiggy replied, "they have no idea. Which reminds me: I keep looking for a competition in the UK that we could go to, but it never works out. But, listen, don't ever call them the girls. You always have to refer to them as The Amazons, or just Amazons, or you'll get a lecture."

"Okay," I agreed. It seemed like a small price to pay for such an expensive trip.

"Anyway," Wiggy said, "The girls will *want* you to call them by those nicknames. Mirina's probably going to give you one, too, come to think of it."

"Hey," I said, gently teasing, "You just called them 'girls'."

"Yeah," she agreed, "but not to their faces. I only do that when I'm mad at them."
 


 

By the time we reached the airport, Wiggy and I were talking like old friends. The poor driver had to put up with our shrieks of laughter and my cries of astonishment.

Wiggy gave me the lowdown on all of the girls, but I kept mixing them up. I did get a few salient points, though: Graffy and Grooty looked like twins, although they weren't related. All of the girls were extremely feminine, tall, blonde, and slim. "You and me," Wiggy said, gesturing between us, "we'll be like what's wrong with this picture when we stand next to them."

She explained that all the names were Dutch. "Everybody's of Dutch descent where we come from. Graffy and Grooty speak Dutch, and Cakey can understand it. Ding-Dong says she understands it, but that is yet to be demonstrated."

"And Ding-Dong is the dumb one?" I asked. Then I blushed. "I'm really embarrassed, talking about them like this, and using those awful nicknames."

Wiggy waved my objection aside. "Once you meet them, you'll see. They don't care. But yeah, Ding-Dong is naive to a point that... defies belief. Sometimes, she makes Forrest Gump seem like Einstein."

I made a face. It seemed unnecessarily cruel. Wiggy caught my expression. "I'm not being mean!" she said. "I love her to bits. She's the sweetest thing. But sometimes she makes me want to tear my hair out."

After that, we were silent for a spell. Then Wiggy began shifting around, as if she was uncomfortable. I began to wonder if she needed the bathroom, but at last she came out with it. "Marcie, I want to ask you something. It's kind of a favor, and it's a little embarrassing." She glanced at the driver and frowned.

When she didn't continue, I asked, "What is it?"

"Well, there are a lot of rooms on this ship we're going on... most of the them are for two people..."

"Are there any singles?" I asked.

She faltered. I figured that she was building up to ask if I'd room with her, but I have some privacy issues that I'm sure you can understand.

"No," she said. "There are two four-bunk rooms, and the cheerleaders will take those. The rest are all doubles.

"Anyway, there are two teachers and you and me. The four of us could each have our own room if we wanted, but..." she began twisting the heck out of a piece of cloth she was holding.

She let out a little huff of breath, and confessed everything. "Look, Marcie, I'm afraid to sleep by myself. I mean, in a room by myself. And I'm shy, so I don't like getting changed in front of other people...

"Every time we go on these trips, I'm the odd man out. I always end up in a room by myself, and I hate it! The chaperones always want their own rooms, so... We stay in these fantastic hotels, but I can't sleep! I sit in a chair all night, wrapped in a blanket with all the lights on and the TV going. It's exhausting!

"I know I'm a little neurotic, maybe, but... anyway... what I'm asking is, will you please room with me? I'll give you whatever space you need... it's just that at night, when we sleep, I want to know that somebody else is in the room with me. Will you? Please, please, please?"

I said, "Yes." If she didn't want to change in front of me, it would be easy for me to not change in front of her. Besides, if it didn't work out, I could always take one of the empty rooms.

She squealed in delight. "Oooh! Thank you thank you thank you!" She jumped to the seat next to me and squeezed me tight. I started laughing.

"I'm SO glad! I'm so relieved! Oh, my goodness! I was afraid I wouldn't get to sleep for the whole entire trip!"

"I'm glad you're so happy," I said, smiling.

"I am!" she replied. Then she stopped abruptly and looked me in the eye. With intense seriousness she said, "Don't tell the girls anything I said about being afraid, etc., etc. Okay?"

"Okay," I agreed. "Mum's the word."
 


 

When we arrived at the airport, we easily found the Amazons: they'd taken over a sitting area near the ticket counters. As Wiggy and I walked up, we saw a boy and two men trip over some bags and go sprawling because they were staring at the pack of young blondes.

If I was a boy, I'd have been staring, too. They were all beautiful, tall, slim, poised...

At the same time, they were all very nice, and — excepting Mirina — didn't seem vain at all.

Wiggy hurried through the introductions. In addition to the eight Amazons, there were two teachers, also blonde and good looking, but with a few more years and a few more pounds than the girls. I knew I'd have to learn the names all over again. The only ones I got were Ding-Dong, who seemed very sweet, and Grooty and Graffy, who were unbelievably identical! ("They're lucky they don't look like either of their fathers!" Wiggy whispered to me with a smirk. I thought about that remark for a long time after, and I'm still not convinced that it makes any sense.)

Of course, Mirina stood out, but I'll talk about her in a moment. She welcomed me with a smile and said, "We're all very glad that you could come with us."

In the meantime, Wiggy fished in her bag, which was like a small, flat version of a postman's pouch. She pulled out a folder and said, "Let's talk inside. We have to check in and get through security." Then she turned and started walking toward the check-in line.

Everyone, teachers included, trooped behind her.

The line was unbelievably short. There were only two people in front of us. I noticed that it was the line for first-class passengers, which made me raise my eyebrows, but I didn't say anything. Mirina's father must be loaded! If he could spring for a trip like this...

The girls chatted with me and each other while we waited. Wiggy looked in her folder, which had everyone's tickets and various printed lists. She glanced the faces of all the ticket agents and swallowed. The look on her face reminded me of the look she had as she bumped down the stairs. Although she was acting as the adult for everyone in our group, I realized that her confidence level was not as high as she wanted us all to think.

Even though Wiggy is two years older than me, she's two inches shorter, and right now she really looked like a little girl.

"Hey, Marcie?" she asked in a soft voice that no one else could hear, "Do you want to sit next to me on the plane?"

"Yes," I replied, "I was hoping I could."

When I said that, a smile lit up her face. "Okay, good! I'm going to check in everybody else first, and you and me last, okay?"

I nodded. Just before our turn came, Wiggy turned to the Amazons and said, "I'll call you up in pairs. Just stay in line until I call you. Have your photo ids ready. If another ticket agent is free, let the people behind pass you."

All the girls and the two teachers nodded.

"Come with me?" Wiggy asked shyly. And so I did. The two of us went to the counter.

"Hi," Wiggy said. "We're a group of twelve, and I'd like to check everyone in in pairs, if that's alright."

"Are you all first-class passengers?"

"Yes," Wiggy replied without looking up. Then, glancing over her shoulder, she said, "Graffy and Grooty."

As the two girls trotted obediently to the counter, Wiggy stood on tiptoe and placed their tickets in front of the agent.

"These two would like to sit together, and—" consulting her sheet, she said, "Ms. de Groot would like the window."

And so it went. She called everyone up, pair by pair, announced their seating preference, and confirmed that vegetarian meals had been ordered for two of our party. All of them seemed quite used to having Wiggy direct them about. They waited exactly where she told them to wait, until all of us had been checked in.

She led the way through security, and then to the gate.

Once there, the Amazons took over a section of the waiting area, spread out their belongings, and sat down.

"Wiggy, now what do we do?" Ding-Dong asked.

"We wait until they start boarding the plane," Wiggy replied.

"How will we know?" Ding-Dong continued.

"It will be in about twenty minutes," Wiggy said. "I'll tell you when. Don't worry."

Mirina waited a moment, to be sure that Wiggy was finished, then she smiled at me.

"Now, Marcie, I'm sure that Wiggy told you something about the Amazons on your way here," she said. "But now it's time that *I* took over."

© 2008 by Kaleigh Way

[OTHER STORIES]

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Marcie And Wiggy

Looks like those two will be good friends. She learned a lot about the other girls from Wiggy. Now I wonder what that Mirina is gonna do.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I adore the names…

…of the cheerleaders, Kaleigh. They are even more outrageous than some of mine. It's just as well Knickers doesn't live in UK though as it would be a constant source of blushes for her. Perhaps I should give one of my characters the nickname Panties!

Wiggy is such a character, I mean in the best way, even if she is a wee bit quirky. I lurve it, and now I have to wait till Monday for the next fix.

Ah well, back to introducing your "niece" Farah Way to Aunt Greta—

Hugs,
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Tee hee!

I think you still own the monopoly on the funny names. I'm looking forward to seeing Farah in print.

Name source

I don't know what source you found for those names, but they are mostly surprisingly believable with a few exceptions.

- "Manley" isn't Dutch, sounds more like English to me.
- "Hoogaboom" would better be "Hoogeboom" (translated: Hightree)
- "Belle Dubois" is French, both the first and the last name, but since France isn't all that far from the Netherlands, it's reasonable to have such name in the list.
- "Wetherwax" isn't Dutch either (sounds English again). And "Hedwig" is a boys name if it's supposed to be Dutch. The female version would be "Hedwige"

Those remarks are not meant as criticism, but simply to give you information for future stories. In that light, feel free to contact me whenever you like to know or verify something regarding people/cities/buildings/whatever in the area around Antwerp (that's mostly the countries Belgium and The Netherlands) or the Dutch language. Of course I don't know everything, but I hope I could be helpfull as an 'inside information source'. ;)

I'm not sure where you'll be going with this story, but since you went out of your way to include Dutch roots for the team, I figure you're planning to do something with that fact. Making those girls blonde is very realistic: most people in The Netherlands are indeed blonde. I'll refrain from commenting on making them rather stupid except for telling you I'm surpressing a smile now.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Why are they Dutchesses?

Well!

I certainly didn't mean to imply that Dutch girls -- or Dutch people in general -- were stupid. I certainly don't believe that. Wiggy (who is also of Dutch descent) calls the Amazons stupid, and attributes it to their being cheerleaders. As far as I know, Ding-Dong will mainly hold up the daft end of the story.

And being a non-speaker of Dutch, I relied on lists of popular Dutch first and last names, and found all the names there EXCEPT for Mirina and Manley. Maybe I copied "Hedwige" wrong; I don't know. I suppose I could justify it as an American spelling, and Mirina's father could be an Englisher.

Also, the school the girls go to is named for a Dutch saint (Oda), as is the boy's school (Servaas).

I have been to a little town in New Jersey in which virtually everyone was of Dutch descent. I was in my early teens, and it very nearly counts as my first visit to a foreign country. The memory of those experiences is part of my choice.

And maybe -- since you speak Dutch -- you don't get the same sense of strangeness that an English speaker (who knows no Dutch) can get. The words seem familiar and incomprehensible at the same time, almost as if someone had invented a language by taking English and doubling vowels and adding syllables by some arcane formula.

Once, when I visited the house of a friend who is a poet, he had two girls from Holland staying with him. I found on a coffeetable in the living room a notebook, and I started flipping through it. I could understand a word here and there, and thought it was some exotic production of my poet friend's imagination. After a while I realized that it was the diary of one of the Dutch girls, and quickly put it back where I found it.

So I just wanted some sense of familiarity and strangeness, and of a homogeneous group that Marcie doesn't fit into, and that Wiggy is and isn't a part of.

And of course there are good things in the Dutch character that help the story along.

Thanks for the comments -- I do appreciate reality checks. (And I LOVED your "surprisingly believable"!)

I'll keep your offer in mind... the story is still being written.

Amazing story as usual and

Amazing story as usual and lots of fun and I don't really know what surprises you have in store for us. That makes things really, really fun. Such a gift that you share stories with us at all. They are awaited with great anticipation by many.

Thanks and hugs,

Kristi Lynne Fitzpatrick

Kristi Lynne Fitzpatrick

travelling partners

It's difficult to find good traveling partners - this should be very interesting!

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

this sounds like loads of fun

Thanks Kaleigh for this new story.

Sorry I did not comment as much as I used to.
I had been rather busy and was a bit down for a while.

I really love your storytelling and this promisses to be just as much fun as the last two.

Thank you so much

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

That Wiggy

That Wiggy will be going places, career wise. I hope Marcie doesn't take any shit from Her Manliness, but then I am not writing this little adventure. It is just I don't like people like Her Manliness and if she didn't have her father's money behind her, she wouldn't be anything. I hope Marcie puts Her Manliness straight about the nickname and doesn't take some idiotic mean nickname from her. If she wants to place a nickname on Marcie, Marcie should only allow a nice one.

Nicknames

Marcie's new nickname should be 'Blitzen', but I'm sure she'll be called something else first ;-)
With her track record for attracting criminals, I wouldn't want to be on THAT plane

Good guess

I thought of that one, too... in fact, it got so stuck in my head it was hard to think of anything else.

But we'll see!

Me too

I'm like Holly and don't comment as much as i should, especially with your stories, I love them. I look forward to each new post because your stories are, feel good. Even if I can't find the time to comment I will continue to be your biggest fan, Arecee

Amazons Forever!

Puddintane's picture

It's nice to finally meet the Amazons. When I was quite young, my idol and heroine was Nancy Blackett, one of the two Amazon Pirates of the Swallows and Amazons series of books by Arthur Ransome, who was modeled after a young girl Ransome knew, Taqui Altounyan, a right proper hellion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallows_and_Amazons

In an interesting twist, it turns out that the Swallows are *also* modeled after the same real-life individuals, so "John," the central figure and "hero" of the series, is actually Barbara Harriet Taqui Altounyan, who is the model for Captain Nancy Blackett, bold as brass and the real leader in every shared activity, although John, the nominal joint leader (to suit 1930's sensibilities) and pretends to be the boss, although he is, in fact, a wuss.

I'd always hoped that Taqui was a lesbian -- well, since high school / secondary / Fifth Form anyway -- but it turns out she got married and had had four children. Her Great Aunt in the stories, on the other hand, is clearly playing for the other team.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/taqui-altounyan...

The archetypical vignette of Nancy in the stories is in one of the later books, in which Nancy has played a minor role because she had been quarantined with the Mumps (epidemic parotitis). She sees two children set out in a blizzard on skates, intent on travelling several miles toward the head of a very large frozen lake, and instantly realises that they've gotten their signals crossed and are standing unto danger. Rising from her sickbed, she straps on skates and sets out alone into the blinding snowstorm to rescue them, just like that. For Nancy, there was never any dithering or hesitation if anything needed to be done, no matter the hazards, the likelihood of skinned knees or bleeding knuckles, or waiting for permission from a "responsible adult." In very truth, there was none so responsible as Nancy, none so courageous, and none so bold.

God, how I loved her, admired her, and wept at the astonishing courage she displayed in that moment. She made Nancy Drew look like a wimp, because Ransome made it feel *real*, where Nancy and her ilk faced fairy-tale problems that seemed more susceptible to magic wands at times than grim determination and bravery.

Marcie reminds me a bit of Nancy, without quite as much British "stiff upper lip," and I heartily recommend the series to anyone who loves children's literature.

* Swallows and Amazons (published 1930)
* Swallowdale (1931)
* Peter Duck (1932)
* Winter Holiday (1933)
* Coot Club (1934)
* Pigeon Post (1936)
* We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea (1937)
* Secret Water (1939)
* The Big Six (1940)
* Missee Lee (1941)
* The Picts and the Martyrs: or Not Welcome at All (1943)
* Great Northern? (1947)
* Coots in the North (unfinished at the time of Ransome's 1967 death, published in an unfinished form in 1988 with some other short works)

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

TARS—The Arthur Ransome Society

The Arthur Ransome Society is a world-wide organisation for Arthur Ransome enthusiasts. It was founded in the early 1990s and has its HQ at Kendal in the English Lake District, where many of Ransome's Swallows and Amazons books are set. Strangely enough the first Arthur Ransome society was founded in Japan.

I spent several years as their honorary press officer. If you would like details see:–
http://www.arthur-ransome.org/

Hugs,
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

TARS

Puddintane's picture

I was a member for several years. Nice newsletters and information, but then I moved and dropped off their list. Oh, well. I'm not exactly a joiner anyway.

I have most all of Ransome's books -- the S&A books in several editions, most of the original British editions by Jonathan Cape and all of the modern reprints, all of the Puffin and Red Fox editions, the Grosset & Dunlap US editions (They mucked with the spellings), the Godine editions -- including the ill-fated Coots in the North, which has dropped off the publishing map. I'm a bit of a fan...

Nice to see that, as I suspected, there was something of the Ransomesque in the Marcie tales.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Japan

Puddintane's picture

> Strangely enough the first Arthur Ransome society was founded in Japan.

They're mad for the Swallows and Amazons books for some reason -- organise expeditions to visit the Lake District and the Broads, translate them into Japanese, dress up as Nancy and Peggy... Next, there'll be the Manga editions featuring suitably exotic Amazons in dramatic poses and costumes with swords.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Ransome

At Hilary's recommendation I read Swallows and Amazons, and it did inspire the name Amazons and sailing, but don't look for charcoal burners...

Kicking It Up

I'm very impressed with how you've taken a story that's already full of breakneck excitement and adventure, and kicked the pace up another full turn of the frenzy dial.

Holding on for dear life, waiting for the next exciting installment!

interesting names

I was born in USA, but a genuine 1/2 / 1/2 german/dutch. Born w/blonde blue eyes, but my hair turned more med brunette as I aged. When I decided to do my transition, and more as a dare from my best friend(female) I went back blonde.
That is where it got wierd. Even in male mode, it seemed I automatically was treated different and dropped in IQ by a substancial amount. It was more noticable by people I didnt know, but even by those that I had known/worked seemed to treat me different, like I wasnt quite as smart as I was. Finally learned to use that to my advantage, but, I was kind of shocked in how people related to me just because I was a long haired blonde. (male mode or later as female)

Headwig - I just remembered where besides haveing known a person named such.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a 2001 American musical comedy-drama film based on the stage musical of the same name about a fictional rock band fronted by an East German transgender singer. The film was adapted and directed by John Cameron Mitchell, who also portrayed the title role. The music and lyrics are by Stephen Trask.

Was nominated for several awards including Globes in 2001