Marcie And The Amazons: 34. Aim For The Soft Parts

Printer-friendly version

"You know," Wiggy told me, "the way Robinson Crusoe realized he wasn't alone was that he found a footprint in the sand."

"That's kind of creepy," I said, looking around us.

Marcie And The Amazons by Kaleigh Way

 

34. Aim For The Soft Parts

 

On Wednesday and Thursday, with the help of the map, we finished exploring the island. In order to speed things up, we split into five teams of two. Wiggy and I were one of the teams.

"You know," Wiggy told me as we made our way along the northern edge of the island, "Robinson Crusoe realized he wasn't alone when he found a footprint in the sand."

"That's kind of creepy," I said, looking around us.

She laughed. "Don't worry! There's nobody here but us chickens!"

We trudged along the beaten path, occasionally pushing a frond or branch out of the way. "Hey, Wiggy," I said, "doesn't it seem like somebody maintains these paths? I mean, there used to be a walking path in the woods behind my uncle's house. Every so often he'd to go along with a pair of clippers to keep it clear. But the summer when he died, the path closed up pretty quickly. A year later you couldn't tell that there'd ever been a path there."

"Huh," she commented. After a bit of thought she said, "I think the crew or somebody must have fixed things up before we came. You know, checked the supplies in the cave, cleared the brush off the paths, etc., etc."

"Makes sense," I said.

As we walked, the ever-present roar of the surf rose and fell gently all around us. Aside from that and the occasional chirp of the tree-frogs, there was nothing else to hear. The air was warm and clean, and even if it was hot — especially in direct sunlight — there was a constant cooling breeze.

"It's like paradise here," I said.

"Paradise Prison," Wiggy replied.

"Oh, come on," I protested.

"I can't stop thinking that I should just get in the dory and leave," she said. "I need to go for help."

"You promised you'd wait," I reminded her.

"Yeah," she agreed.

"AND you promised you'd take me with you," I added.

"I will," she said, almost sullenly. "Look, I will, okay? I will! I'll wait. I want to take you with me. I really need to take you with me, 'cause it isn't smart to go alone. Even if I do all the rowing, it will still be easier with two. So don't worry: I won't leave without you."

"Wiggy?"

"What?"

"If the other island is so close, how come we can't see it?"

She stopped walking. "You don't know which direction to look," she replied. "I've seen it. Even though I knew which way to look, it took me a while to pick it out."

"Can you show me?"

Her eyes narrowed. "I think I want to keep that part secret, too. It's important that you don't start second-guessing me."

I sighed. She was so difficult on this topic! The problem was, that she was right: I *was* second-guessing her. I didn't want her to go at all. As smart as she was, and however experienced she might be in a rowboat, she'd still only be a little girl in a rowboat, somewhere in the biggest ocean in the world.

For sure, she wouldn't be any safer with me along, in spite of what she said. What kind of backup would I be? What if the boat tipped over? What if we lost an oar? What if we lost both oars?

There were too many unknowns; too many things we couldn't know for sure. What if Wiggy had read the map wrong? What if the other island wasn't even there, or wasn't inhabited? What if the current was against us, or we lost our way?

The worse part was, if we made a mistake, we weren't likely to get a second try.

So far, I'd gotten her to wait until Monday. Maybe I could push her to Tuesday. In the meantime, I had to find a way to make her wait even longer. I needed to find reasons to make her stay.

What I really needed was help, I thought, and it suddenly occurred to me that I could take Cakey into my confidence. Cakey was clever and tricky: she might come up with a dozen ways to slow Wiggy down without giving the game away. In fact, that sounded like a really good idea.

"You're awfully quiet," Wiggy said. "What are you thinking about?"

"Rowing away from here," I told her truthfully. "Hey, how will we carry water to drink in the dory?"

Wiggy's face brightened. "I've thought about that! And I have a great solution! Listen—"

I did listen, and I heard something that pricked my ears up. I stopped stock still and grabbed Wiggy's arm. "Shh, Wiggy! Do you hear that?" The sound was still soft and maybe far-off, but in the near-silence of the island I could hear it. It was a strange, quick, pattering sound. It had to be an animal, or a person. Whatever it was, it was running.

"I don't—" she began, but I cut her off.

"There's something coming this way!" I hissed. "It's some kind of animal, heading straight for us! Whatever it is, it's really fast!"

Very quickly the sound had gotten louder, and now Wiggy heard it as well. It rose from a distant patter to a rumble, and the rumble grew into a roar as it grew closer. By the sound of it, it wasn't alone. It could have been a herd of... some kind of animal... or maybe a group of men, running barefoot through the heavy plant growth around us. Because of the bushes and leaves and plants, we couldn't see very far. Whatever it was would right on top of us before we'd get any visual warning. Besides that, the sound was so muffled and dampened by the thick bushes and trees, it was hard to tell exactly which direction the thing or things were coming from, and how close or far they were.

"What on earth is it?" Wiggy asked, wild-eyed.

I looked around for something to defend us with, and found nothing better than an old broken stick, and a sharp rock. I grabbed one in each hand, and got ready.

"Whatever it is," I said, "We have to hit it hard as soon as it comes out. We have to make sure *we* hurt it first, before it hits us. Remember, Wiggy: Aim for the soft parts!"

Wiggy nodded, and picked up a stick and stone for herself. I stepped a little ahead of her, to make sure I had a clean shot at it.

As the monster — or whatever it was — approached closer and closer, making more and more noise, our minds filled with all sorts of images: gigantic animals, headhunters, wild boars, buffalo, rhinos... who knew what! My heart kicked up a few notches. I raised my head. I felt incredibly alert, as scared and as ready as I could be. But one thing was for sure: whatever it was, I was going to leave my mark on it.

Soon we heard branches snapping, and a huge crash! among the bushes, followed quickly by another. We both jumped, startled. Wiggy fumbled and dropped her makeshift weapons. She squeaked in terror, and scrambled to pick them up again. I squeezed both hands to get a better grip on my own rock and stick. By now I was sure that the animal, whatever it was, was *big*. It was leaping and bounding toward us, overcoming every obstacle with its powerful, violent strength.

"MAR-CEEEEE!" screamed Wiggy, "I'm scared! I'm scared! We're going to die! We're going to DIE! What is it? What is it?"

With a final boom! the shrubbery parted, and an enormous rock came crashing through. It crossed the path a few feet ahead of us, covered us with the dust that followed in its wake, and bounded down the hill into the sea.

At first, the two of us gaped like idiots, astounded, shocked, dusty, and speechless.

Then Wiggy began to laugh. She laughed and laughed until the tears ran from her eyes and she had to pull off her glasses. "A rock!" she cried. "All that noise, and it was only a rock!"

I laughed too: but only a little bit. I gave a relieved hah!, glad that we hadn't been torn apart by a ravenous beast. My adrenaline rush had left me a little shaky; I was still a bit unnerved by the experience, and had to ramp back down to normal.

"Aim for the soft parts!" Wiggy repeated, chuckling and clutching her sides. "Oof! I almost wet myself when that thing rolled out of the bushes! I thought we were going to get eaten alive!"

"It's lucky the rock didn't hit us," I told her. "It would have been as good as being eaten alive. Or being hit by a car."

"Whew!" she said, getting a grip on herself.

"We have to warn the others," I said.

"Watch for falling rocks," Wiggy said. "Look both ways before crossing the street!" and she burst out laughing again.

"I'm glad you're so tickled by our brush with death," I told her, picking up the walkie-talkie.

"Oh, Marcie!" she laughed. "I'll show you 'tickled'" and she stuck her wiggling fingers into my armpit.

"Ooh, stop!" I said, jumping back a step. "No, really! Stop! I'm not ticklish, Wiggy, I'm not! Quit it! I'm— Eeee!"

"I'm just aiming for your soft parts," Wiggy teased. "Tickle, tickle, tickle!"
 


 

By Thursday evening, we knew for certain that the adults hadn't made it to the island. We'd covered every inch, followed every path, and looked in every corner. (As much as islands have corners!)

Now, we not only knew that they weren't on the island, we also knew that they hadn't been rescued either. The proof of that was the fact that we were still stuck on our island. If Captain Blackett or anyone in her crew had reached safety and civilization, the first thing they would have done was send someone to pick us up. Since that hadn't happened, we knew that the adults were still lost.

We had to hope that they'd found their way to one of the many islands that dotted the South Pacific. Hopefully, they'd find food and water. Maybe not piled neatly in a cave as we'd found, but we had to believe that those resourceful women would find a way to survive.

Wiggy and I never said so, but neither of us expected to find the adults on our island. After the two of us had circled the island in the dory, I felt sure that we were alone. I expected that once the Amazons reached the same realization, that they'd be depressed and sad.

But I was wrong. Oddly enough, everyone (including me) was quite excited — and even happy — once we were sure.

Maybe it was because at least one question had been settled. Maybe it was because we could quit waiting for an adult to come and take charge: we knew at last that *we* were in charge; that we had to plan and carry out everything.

Until we were rescued, anyway.
 

Ding-Dong spent Thursday morning attempting to re-route the water from the spring's pool. It was much harder than she expected. Cakey, Wiggy, and I helped, carrying rocks and moving dirt and sand. With the few tools we'd brought from the ship we tried to dig water channels in the rock.

Unfortunately, it didn't work.

We were able to get the water running toward the shower-shelf, but the flow was so strong that the water overshot the shelf and flew into the jungle below. Ding-Dong tried to enlarge the channel or make it deeper, but that only made it worse. With all her fiddling, a rock came loose, opening a gap that was impossible to close.

Impossible, at least, for four girls without the proper tools and materials.

Water poured down the side of the hill and broke into a dozen useless rills and dribbles. The water in our original pool — our reservoir — dropped rapidly to about half it's former level.

"Don't give up, Belle," Cakey told her. "It's a good idea. You just need to think it out a little more."

"Eh, it doesn't matter," Ding-Dong said, brushing off her disappointment. "We're getting rescued in a day or two anyway. Right?"

"Right!" we all answered, although Wiggy's answer was an unconvinced grunt.

In any case, the question of bathing got answered in a completely different and quite novel way. Graffy and Grooty, while exploring a rocky cliff on the western side of the island, found a set of waterspouts.

On a plateau overlooking the ocean, they found some small holes in the ground. When Grooty got down on hands and knees to look inside, jets of water unexpectedly struck her in the stomach and face. She fell over, stunned, and lost one of the walkie-talkies and a flashlight down the holes.

Graffy had been quite frightened, thinking her twin was badly hurt, but after lying on the ground panting for several minutes, Grooty was fine.

"It just knocked the wind out of me," the girl told us later.

It didn't take long to understand the phenomenon: there were fissures and tunnels that ran through the rock cliff. Any time a wave struck the face of the cliff, water filled the empty spaces and shot out the waterspouts.

Once you understood the principle, it was easy to know when a spout was going to blow. All you had to do was watch for the waves or listen for the gurgles that came from the holes.

Two of the spouts, it turned out, regularly shot enough water in the air to completely drench a body.

And so, on Friday morning, we all made our way to the spouts, and took our showers.

One of the things we'd taken from the ship was soap: a special soap that works in salt water. With it, we were able to clean our hair and bodies, and rinse quite conveniently as the jets fell to earth. The soap left our skin — and even our hair! — soft and clean, and no horrible tangles.

Cakey, Wiggy, and I bathed last, not looking at each other, and not removing our underwear.

It was weird, I admit, but I was grateful for Cakey and Wiggy's modesty or insecurity or whatever it was. At least I wasn't alone in not wanting to be seen naked. Their pudor gave me a perfect cover.

Looking back on the whole experience, Friday was our most peaceful, fun, relaxing day of all the time we spent on the island. By then, we'd explored it all. We knew we were alone there. Today was the day we'd be missed; today we were expected on the flight from Bora Bora. Tomorrow we'd be rescued. All we needed to do was wait.

But the waiting... well, that didn't start until tomorrow, Saturday. Today, if it hadn't been for the shipwreck, we would have been at sea, returning to Bora Bora.

"What time was our flight today?" I asked Wiggy as we returned from the waterspouts.

She glanced at her watch. "It was a little after lunch... 12:20. We still have a couple of hours to make it," she joked.

I almost wanted to ask Wiggy how soon she thought we'd be rescued. It was everyone else's favorite topic of discussion. However, I knew it would set her off, so I didn't say it.
 

In the afternoon we gathered coconuts and piled them near the cave. We went with Ding-Dong to find the pigs. They were even smaller and cuter than she'd said. We oohed and cooed over them, giving them names, watching from a distance, but when we moved closer to see if we could pet one, they all ran off, squealing and oinking in a terrifying explosion of porcine terror. It was a little funny to see those tiny bodies falling over each other, rushing to get away, but the noise was deafening and left us speechless.

After that, we couldn't find the pigs again.

Some of the girls put on their bathing suits and went to play under the waterspouts. At first, Graffy and Grooty were in a snit because they couldn't swim, but Wiggy managed to convince Mirina that we could take turns on Shark Watch. One or two girls could watch the entrance to the cove, and bang on a pot with a stick if a shark was seen.

After about a half an hour the watch was discontinued, and anyone who wanted to swim, swam. In spite of their bravado, Graffy and Grooty stayed in the cove, and didn't venture out to the open sea.

Before sunset, we all trooped up to the waterspouts to take our evening showers, and everyone without exception went to bed as soon as it got dark.

We were tired, sure, but we also wanted to get up as early as possible.

After all, tomorrow was Saturday, and Saturday we might get rescued.

© 2008 by Kaleigh Way

[OTHER STORIES]

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rolling Stones

terrynaut's picture

I'm still reading, and still scratching my head in wonder. So where did that rock come from? Does it have something to do with the volcano? And where did all the piggies go? Perhaps they're alien robots that are spying on earth. They got shipwrecked and went native while they waited for their alien masters to rescue them. The whole island is wacky! :)

I look forward to seeing you wind this baby up. Thanks and good luck, Captain Kayleigh.

- Terry

I think that the island ...

... is inhabited by Circe, or her descendants, and the pigs are actually Captain Blackett and her crew transformed into little piggies. Well, it's another twist and I offer it to Kayleigh totally free of charge :)

How long before we have a 'Lady of the Flies' situation? Could get ugly if there's no rescue on Saturday or Sunday.

Geoff

Wrong Ocean...

...I think -- but the trouble with a series that includes a ghost and a psychic and a possible parallel world is that one doesn't know where the realism level ends.

I'm a little surprised that Wiggy and Marcie didn't consider the possibility that the rock had been sent toward them deliberately by an unknown party (human, animal or mythological) either to bowl them over or scare them off. I mean, sure, they don't really think there's anyone there or anything capable of doing that. But a large boulder rolling down a cleared path instead of randomly through brush and whatever else is out there, and doing so without dislodging anything else that would have preceded or followed it on the path, doesn't seem totally natural.

(I think Terry already asked this, but did the rock come from the volcano or are there other peaks or cliffs that could produce it? And how close to the volcano do the paths go? Obviously close enough that there's no observation post with people on the island watching it...)

Eric

Sometimes a rock is just a rock

The rock *did* come through the brush. If it came down the path, they would have seen it and known it was a rock. Just before it burst into view, it crashed into two bushes.

Rocks do fall by themselves in the real world. There isn't always an evildoer giving a shove at the right time.

As to Stanman's comment, no one could follow the path of the ship if they don't know where the ship went. And as far as we know, the ship *has* sunk.

And I love the beginning of Eric's comment (which I quote below). If this was a published book, I'd put it in a blurb on the back cover:

The trouble with a series that includes a ghost and a psychic and a possible parallel world is that one doesn't know where the realism level ends.

Maybe room for another interpretation

Are you trying to tell us that it is all downhill from now for our heroines ?

Guess not. *sigh*.

Kim

The rock crossed the path

The rock crossed the path in front of the girls. Rocks come dislodged all the time, that's why you have to be careful when you hike in the mountains, or around a volcano. Great story Kaleigh, Arecee

Volcanic islands are inherently unstable

Depends on if it's a hot spot volcano, fairly safe and gentle eruptions, or a subduction zone one where you are likely to get KABOOM! Comes down to andesidic magmas vs basaltic magmas. Sorry most of my geology is nearly 20 years old.

A mild earthquake is all it would take to dislodge boulders. Temperature changes from day to night and the resultant expansion/contraction will do it. It’s no necessarily proof of others on the island. Messing up the pool seem more important, the girls just lost a lot of there fresh water reserves.

The pigs on an island is not a rare thing. The Polynesians transplanted them as they explored and settled and European ships were known to leave pairs of goats or pigs to breed as a source of meat on future voyages, much to the destruction of many an island without predators.

Our intrepid would-be rower, Wiggy, worries me, if she could barley make out the island she wants to row two it must be near the horizon, that is as much as 32 miles, even more under mirage conditions or if the inland has tall peaks, though mirages are not likely over water. It is hard to row much faster than a person can walk. So say Wiggy can row at two knots, with our heroine along for company but also dead weight, a modest walking speed. That makes for something like a thirteen hour crossing without rest if there are no currents – a nautical mile being roughly 20% more than a statute mile, very crudely thinking. If there is a cross current of one knot even if she rows perfectly straight she will drift a nautical mile sideways for every two forward. And if it’s a head current …

If the dory has a sail, mast and some kind of rudder and dagger boards/sideboards, okay. Rowing assisted by sail would be much faster. It is a risky proposition in any case. And what of spare oars, spare oar locks?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

O.K. Now, Very Cute Kaleigh :-)

That boulder bit had us going for a bit. But as to the rescue, when they are found to be missing, a satellite can follow their route and visually track and find the ship if still afloat, if not, know in area to check including using copters and planes for a flyover.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine