Marcie And The Amazons: 41. You Should Have Told Somebody

Printer-friendly version

"I do have a talent for getting into strange situations," I admitted.

"I can see that!" Cakey replied, shaking the bars of my cage. "But don't worry. In the morning, as soon as the three of us are awake, I'm busting you guys out."

Marcie And The Amazons by Kaleigh Way

 

41. You Should Have Told Somebody

 

Boogers brought us dinner. She smiled at me, but didn't talk.

Cakey came to take the dirty dishes away.

"Hey, girls," she called as she sauntered into the cave. "How're you feeling, Marcie?"

"I'm getting there," I replied, as I scanned her face to search out her feelings.

"Good," she said. "Tomorrow morning I'm going to bust you guys out of there. Most of the girls are sleeping outside tonight. It's beautiful out, and — no offense — but I think they want to avoid you... a little."

I nodded, but didn't answer.

Cakey gripped the pantry's bars with both hands, and her look became stern. She said, "Marcie, I've gone over and over in my mind what I have to say to you." She looked me in the face. "The only way to say it is to come out straight and say it: You should have told somebody. If you and Wiggy were going to take off in that boat, you should have told somebody."

I swallowed hard.

She went on. "Do you know which direction she went?"

"No."

"Do you know how far this other island is supposed to be, or how long it would take to get there?"

"No. She wouldn't tell me. She said I'd second-guess her and make it harder."

"Yeah, she said the same thing in her stupid note. She was afraid we'd stop her." Cakey suddenly sniffed and kicked the bars violently. Belle and I jumped.

"She was right! We WOULD have stopped her! I would have cut that that stupid dory to pieces if I knew!"

I had a question, but was almost afraid to ask, Cakey was so angry and upset. Gently, tentatively, I said, "Cakey? Did anybody see which way she went?"

"We couldn't. I ran to the top of the hill and saw her go right, around to the back of the island. By the time I got to that side, I couldn't see her at all."

I must have looked as confused as I felt, because Cakey explained, "There isn't any place on the island high enough to look in every direction. We tried... *I* tried... but there are some parts of the coast where you can't see the ocean at all." She gestured to her right, saying, "If she went that way — and I think she did — we wouldn't be able to see her at all."

I shook my head. "When we talked about the other island, I asked her why I hadn't seen it. Said it was hard to see, even when you knew where to look."

"She didn't tell you where it was? Not even a hint? Did she at least point vaguely in some direction?"

"No," I said. "She didn't want me to know anything."

Cakey regarded me in silence. Then she said, "Marcie, I hope you know I'm your friend. But you also need to know that all of us are angry and upset about Wiggy, and it's hard to not blame you."

"I know," I said. I felt miserable. There was nothing I could say. Or was there? There was only one fact that mitigated my guilt in any way. I felt abject and craven saying it, but I told her, "Listen, Cakey. Wiggy knew about me... she knew my secret." I gestured vaguely toward my lap. "She found out on the plane because of a stupid note my mother left me."

"Oh, the one in the book?" Belle asked.

"Yeah," I said. "We were roommates because both of us wanted the same kind of privacy. Anyway... the thing is, when Wiggy told me her plan to leave, she threatened me. She said that if I told anyone about her plan, she'd tell everyone about me."

Cakey took it in silently, thinking. She nodded, and said, "I'll tell Mirina. I don't think it'll make any difference, though. Oh, did Mirina tell you her dream? The one about the boy on the island? Now she figures the dream was about you. She's saying that you don't belong here, and she's got a long list of what-ifs: what if Romy had come... what if somebody else had come... what if nobody had come in her place."

She swallowed hard. After a pause she said in a low voice, "In spite of all that, I think everybody knows that Wiggy would have taken off even if you weren't here at all."

I was trying not to cry, but tears rolled slowly down my cheeks. I wiped them with the back of my hand and sniffed.

Cakey went on. "About you... and your... your... the way you are... I think everybody has to get to know you again, you know what I mean? Up till now, everybody liked you. Now, they're hurt and shocked and scared... scared for Wiggy. Afraid she's... dead."

Belle quickly turned away and looked at the floor. Her hair fell around her face, hiding it, but I could see her tears dropping to the floor. Cakey and I turned a deathly pale.

"I think they're trying not to blame you, but it's hard. You're going to have to walk through the fire for a bit." When I looked up, shocked, she realized how it sounded. "I don't mean that literally. I mean, think about it. If she's dead, and you knew and could have stopped her... You're going to catch all kinds of hell, Marcie." She sniffed and gave me a tight-lipped, flat, attempt at a smile. "About the other thing... they just have to get over it... get used to... the new you. But with Wiggy gone, it hardly matters anyway."

Belle looked up. Her face was wet. "What are the girls saying about Marcie?"

"Mostly it's Mirina talking," Cakey said. "At first she just flipped out. She couldn't even touch you. Now, she's moved from there to being really, really pissed. She says that you deceived us... you deceived her, and she wouldn't have invited you on the trip if she knew who you really were."

"Oh God," I said, ruefully. Cakey gripped the bars, white knuckled, for a moment.

"Graffy and Grooty are sulking about it. They're really bugged. I think they have a *big* problem with it. The rest of the girls are okay, I guess. Knickers is just floored." In spite of everything, Cakey laughed. "She can't believe it. She's never heard of transsexuals before, and it's just impossible to her. The idea is crazy to her. It's like, you can't exist. She can't get her head around it. I think she believes that you're really just a girl and it's all some kind of weird mistake. But she likes you."

She sucked her lower lip for a moment, and added, "Oh, Donkey for some reason, thinks it's great. She says you're a hero and very brave, and stuff like that. Go figure."

She shrugged and managed a weak smile. "It's kind of like you farted in an elevator, you know? Nobody can pretend it didn't happen or that it wasn't you..." She paused. "That's not really a good example. There probably isn't one."

"I appreciate your telling me all that," I said.

"Hey, I'm your friend. I was pretty surprised, but I'm still your friend." A smile played around her lips. "I do have a mental picture of you that I'll never get out of my head." She grinned and shook her head. "Who knew, when we were shipwrecked, that anything like this would happen!" She laughed at her own joke, and even I smiled a little.

"I do have a talent for getting into strange situations," I admitted.

"I can see that!" Cakey replied, shaking the bars of my cage. "But don't worry. In the morning, as soon as the three of us are awake, I'm busting you guys out."
 


 

After the talk with Cakey, I felt better and worse. It was good to know that she was on my side. She and Belle and Donkey. At least I wouldn't be totally alone.

But Wiggy... oh, God! If there was ever a time to pray, it was now.

After Cakey left, Belle rehashed the whole conversation three times, trying to look at each statement from every possible angle. If I hadn't been so ill and so emotionally drained, I would have asked her politely to stop talking. But I didn't. Instead, I lay back and stopped listening to the words. I let the flow of her babetty babetty chatter flow through my ears without stopping at my brain. The sound wasn't exactly soothing, but somehow it kept the fear and the terror away for a while. It felt like a lifeline, like a radio from the mainland — something to hang onto when nothing else was there.

For a long time Belle babbled on and on, and I listened without listening. She didn't ask me questions or check that I was paying attention. She didn't look for any response or reaction from me. Maybe this was how she dealt with her nerves, her fear, her sense of loss.

As she spoke, I thought about home, about Mom and Dad. They had to know by now that we were missing. They must be frantic, I thought. They tend to worry about me even when nothing is happening, and now something really *is* happening. And yet I knew that somehow I'd get out... we'd get out, and all would be okay.

After a while, I realized that Belle had finished talking. I looked up at her and she looked down at me. It suddenly occurred to me to ask, "Where have you been sleeping while you've been stuck in here with me?"

"On the floor," she said. "I laid down a bunch of blankets and slept on top. Cakey tried to fold up one of the beds, but it wouldn't fit through the bars." Her eyes were drooping, her shoulders were slumped. She suddenly looked very tired.

"Listen, Belle, I'm awake now, and I think I'll be awake a long time. Let me give you the bed. I can bundle up on the floor. I don't think I can sleep any more."

"No," she said. "It's actually pretty comfortable. I like sleeping on the floor. Sometimes I do it at home. It drives my mother crazy."

I tried to insist, but she wouldn't give in.

"Besides, Marcie," she said, "you've been sweating like crazy on that bed, and no offense, but..."

"Okay, I get it," I said.

She changed into her pajamas, arranged her blankets, and blew out all the candles but one. She placed that one on top of the water barrel, behind a box, so it didn't give so much light. Then she lay down, turned on her side, and soon she was asleep, leaving me alone with myself.

Good God! I told myself. What a trip this had turned into! It was supposed to be a vacation. I was supposed get away from the reporters, away from the pressure, to somehow soften the effects of my trauma...

Tomorrow would be Friday, exactly four weeks since I was abducted. In my mind's eye I saw the scene again: me talking on my cell phone with Maisie... hands grabbing me from behind... Ida's terrified face as the van door closed. I shut my eyes and felt the world slip away, leaving me in a place of cold, dark terror.

I'd come on this trip to get away from all that, and now I find myself again a prisoner, peeing in a can in a corner. At least this time I have company, I told myself, opening my eyes to listen to Belle's soft breathing. As I listened, I had to smile. My sister. Belle really was like a sister to me.

© 2008 by Kaleigh Way

[OTHER STORIES]

up
122 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

just thinking

NoraAdrienne's picture

I wonder what the girls would do if, when Marci is busted out.... she tells the girls that this stupid trip was supposed to get her away from all the strain of the kidnapping, dealing with the reporters and get a rest...

Maybe she should offer to take some supplies, a couple of blankets and stuff and just go live on the other side of the island so they can make believe she's not with them anymore.

Yes, The Amazons Are Worried About Wiggy

And will find blaming Marcie easy. But her being outed needs to be addressed too. Belle, Cakey, and Donkey support her at least. When Wiggy shows up safe and sound, I feel that the Amazons will forgive Marcie and make her an honorary Amazon. I am sure that Marcie would love to wear the cheerleader outfit.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Castrated Castaway

terrynaut's picture

Hey. Perhaps if Marcie explained that she's impotent, Mirina would mellow out. Just a thought.

I'm loving this story. Everyone has different tastes but I wouldn't change a thing. :)

Cakey! She's my hero. Bust 'em out, Cakey! Yeah!!

Thanks and please keep up the good work. I can't wait for the next chapter.

- Terry

So It's Wiggy's Fault...

Not so much for exposing Marcie -- sounds as though Marcie was so ill that discovery was inevitable. And Wiggy explained her reasons for keeping things secret until she was gone, though she knew nobody else would accept them (except Marcie, under blackmail threat).

But nobody was supposed to discover the note until she and Marcie had been gone for an hour or more. Under those circumstances, she ought to have told them what direction she was headed -- it's not like they could have intercepted her (as far as that's concerned, if she took their only seaworthy transportation, what was she expecting: Graffy and Grooty swimming out into open ocean to argue with her?). The only way the Amazons could do anything about it (unless someone got up early and they were still there -- and even that wouldn't have been an insuperable problem if Marcie hadn't gotten food poisoning) would be in the unlikely event everyone got rescued in the meantime -- and if that happened Wiggy would want to be found, since she knew her trip was dangerous.

Perhaps the worst of it is that the whole premise for her trip is that apparently nobody told anyone where the ship was going in the first place -- and now that's exactly what Wiggy has done with the dory.

Eric

Interesting Chapter Kaleigh

Frank's picture

I wonder how in depth the discussion will be when Marcie is busted out. Will she tell them about her accidental castration and the whole story leading up to it? Will she just say she's always been a girl inside? Did the Amazons see her surgical scar and know she lost her marbles?

These are the questions...these are the Days of Marcie's life...

Can't wait!!

Hugs

Frank

Hugs

Frank

As Winnie the Pooh would say...

now think, think, think. What if, what if.. nyahh... that won't work. If we try that it would... no that would make a mess... if we did this... no that won't work either...

Hello Kaleigh!!! ^___^ ;-D

Just what are the girls planning to get Marcie and Belle out of prison?

Here is another thought to put a wrench into the planning fiasco of the trip. Even if every effort is made in the beginning to have someone know where they are at. Somebody had planned this from very beginning for the team to be on the island. Somebody put out the money to hire this ship crew. The expressions on the captain and the first mate tells me they did not expect someone to know how to use charts and use a dory. If they expected a bunch of dumb cheerleaders, they got the wrong group. But if turns out that it was planned to get them out of the way, and to have the parents put their focus to find the girls. Then the real targets are the parents. Kaliegh mentioned in the beginning that most of the parents are rich. Maybe a ransom is not involved, but a manouver to get a father out of a certain company, a corporate coup, leverage, anything to gain advantage over the parent or several parents at once.

The focus could be on Mirina also. What is her background? Wiggy eludes to a mystery there.

Whatever the reasons are. Kaleigh you have a great story to keep us glued to our seats waiting patiently for the next chaper. But then I'm glad I did not glue myself to the seat. I need a drink of water, so if you'll excuse me. I'm thirsty... giggle...

Rahcel

Seconded

Being also your paranoid, Astronauts-never-having-landed-on-the-moon and tin-foil-will-protect-my-mind-from-being-read type, I am glad somebody has affirmed my thinking that there is a conspiracy afoot to keep these girls out of the way for some reason. :)

Kim

Plots, Pro and Con...

On the it's-not-a-plot side, remember (again) that the impetus for this situation was an unexpected storm which indisputably destroyed the ship by dashing it against a coral reef. (Even if we take the crew's word for the rudder being lost, the hole in the hull isn't imaginary; members of the Amazons saw it from shore, though I don't know that everybody did.)

So it'd seem, if there WAS a plot, that either it was a spur-of-the-moment thing taking advantage of the storm or that there was some other way planned for the ship's crew (and the two teachers) to disappear and leave only the cheerleaders, incommunicado, on the island. I think it's safe to say that disabling the Seward wasn't essential; the plotters wouldn't have expected the Amazons to be able to sail it home on their own, though someone would have to disable its radio and GPS to prevent their use for rescue.

One strong point on the yes-it's-a-plot side of the equation: remember that (as far as we know) the Amazons all fell asleep between the beginning of the storm and their being awakened, being told that the ship was being abandoned and being motor-launched to the island -- very possibly because there was something in the cook's coffee and sandwiches (the whole point of the coffee having been to keep them awake). It's not stretching things to guess that SOMETHING strange was afoot during the "missing" time, given the adults' disappearance later that night. (Given the weather, a helicopter removing the crew seems out of the question, but I'm still holding out for a submarine.) My first thought was some kind of television reality show, but logistics -- camera placement, TV crew, etc. -- seems to eliminate that.

(James Hogan once wrote a novel where everyone (except the plotters) on a spaceship to an allegedly-peaceful platform in space was rendered unconscious and sent instead to a mock-up of the satellite on a remote Soviet base in Asia. But in our case, the presence of the disabled ship (and it seems clear that it's the real Seward and not a duplicate, since the Amazons searched through it), the amount of swimming/boating they've done and their ability to travel all over the island (if not to see it all from one location) seems to eliminate any possibility of their being in a studio somewhere (or their having been relocated back to Hawaii or some other inhabited locale).

It's certainly not out of the question that there's a spy among the Amazons, in clandestine communication with whoever's monitoring the situation. Marcie, as the unknown who was planted among the group at the last minute, would be the logical choice, but we know that she's not consciously doing so. (Could there be something in her belongings?) Ditto Wiggy, unless her leaving the island alone means that she's been play-acting to Marcie and Mirina all along when demonstrating her insecurities, which seems grossly unlikely.

There's something to be said for Mirina in the spy role, but she'd have to be quite an actress, given what we've seen of her reactions and especially her dealings with Wiggy before Wiggy left. On the other hand, anyone who was plotting would know that Wiggy (along with Marcie, presumably a completely unforeseen element) was a possible liability. In fact, getting Wiggy and Marcie off the island could have been part of the plot as a way to neutralize the loose cannons, so to speak -- and when Marcie was too ill to go through with it, locking her up was the next best strategy. The plotters' original intention might well have been to let the two of them leave publicly after a group discussion of the pros and cons, but then Wiggy decided to keep the map a secret, so that discussion never happened. But that'd argue against Mirina -- and to a lesser degree, any of the other Amazons -- being in on it, because they could have forced the issue by "discovering" the maps themselves, as Marcie did.

(Could it be Belle? She's turned out to be a surprisingly smart dumb blonde.)

I guess we can reject the Agatha Christie solution -- that EVERYBODY knows what's going on here except Marcie. Again, too much play-acting. (Unless the Amazons are really actresses and not cheerleaders -- but that's probably TOO paranoid.)

Anyway, Rachel makes a better case for a plot than I imagined before I thought it out, so I certainly wouldn't exclude the possibility. But if that's the case, for story purposes there needs to be some inconsistency that Marcie can reason out and expose, without the Amazons concluding that she herself is complicit in the plot against them.

Eric

One More (Ugh!) Point...

Remember the introduction to Part 1?

"This is really the story of a vacation I took in the South Seas, or mostly the story of my South-Sea vacation. Susan would say that it's ostensibly about my vacation..."

"I'll be overwhelmingly disappointed if we need to re-sort Marcie's dreams from her reality yet another time, discovering that her late-December dream of being home is true and the whole South Seas trip -- the vast majority of the story -- isn't." [edited by admin at poster request]

Alternatively, it may mean that the whole South Seas trip is some kind of staged manipulation, with her never having left the country at all. If so, I sure hope there's a legitimate motive for the whole thing.

Eric

really fascinating

Well I'm still finding this story really fascinating. It's certainly made me scratch my head trying to figure out what's going on and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Pleione

Third choice

erin's picture

Reality is real and the clearly marked dream sequences are the only ones that are dream sequences. :)

There's obviously things we don't know about what is going on but all of the ideas of fakery ignore the fact that Wiggy and Marcie rowed around the island. All of the dream sequences have been set up with Marcie patently losing consciousness before them. Kaleigh has been playing fair with us.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Now I get to sit on the edge of the cliff as well.

I've only recently found and begun to read the sagas of Marcie. At times I couldn't decide what was more interesting, the story or the comments. Now that I have finally caught up with the most recently posted chapter, I too can impatiently wait for the next chapter.

Kaleigh you have a gift for writing that I've very much enjoyed but you do have me waiting for the time when "all will be revealed".

Michelle B

having Belle with her

probably the best thing for any PTSD

DogSig.png