Marcie And The Amazons: 12. Dilly-Dilly

Printer-friendly version

"All of your life, even when you were a child, I've heard people say how brave and clever you are. Well! I've never believed it, and I don't believe it now! I've never seen any proof! All I see is a spoiled little, vain little, empty-headed girl. Still, now's the test! Now we'll see whether I am right or you are wrong."

"Isn't that the same thing?" Nina asked.

Marcie And The Amazons by Kaleigh Way

 

12. Dilly-Dilly

 

"If I was that princess," I said, "I would go to Grognon and see what she wanted."

Nina was appalled. "She'd want to kill you, that's what she'd want!"

"Maybe," I replied.

"Oh, Marcie!" Nina said. "You would do that, and you'd think it was brave, but it wouldn't be!"

"No?"

"No, it would be stupid!"

I smiled at Nina and said, "Well, let's see what Princess Marcelline will do."

Nina gave me a look of concern. "She's going to do something brave and dumb, just like you would do."

My shoulders slumped. "So you *do* know this story!"

She hedged and squirmed in an I-don't-know-maybe way, saying, "I don't remember everything..."

"Okay," I said. "Let's go on." *I* wanted to find out what the Princess was going to do.

The moment Marcelline entered Grognon's chamber, the door was shut and four of Grognon's women threw themselves upon her. As quickly as it takes to say it, they had the poor Princess trussed up, good and tight: she was bound and gagged, unable to move or to cry out.

"Now, Princess," Grognon sneered from her bed, "All of your life, even when you were a child, I've heard people say how brave and clever you are. Well! I've never believed it, and I don't believe it now! I've never seen any proof! All I see is a spoiled little, vain little, empty-headed girl. Still, now's the test! Now we'll see whether I am right or you are wrong."

"Isn't that the same thing?" Nina asked.

"Yes it is," I agreed.

"Come, my friend," Grognon called, "I have need of thee," and soon there appeared a fairy, who looked upon Grognon's wounds and wept with compassion.

"Who has done this to you?" the fairy demanded. "Tell me, and I shall turn them into a toad or a pig, or any loathsome thing you like!"

"No," Grognon protested, with great insincerity. "That would be harsh and unforgiving. I have an idea that is much more suitable and noble."

The fairy paused, and looked behind her, only to see Marcelline pleading with her eyes.

"Who is this girl?" the fairy asked. "And why is she—"

"She is the author of my misery," Grognon told her. "My greatest enemy. Consumed by her jealousy of me, she bewitches men with her supposed beauty, and drives them to do me harm."

The fairy's eyes flashed fire, and poor Marcelline feared that the next moment would be her last.

"I've thought of a fitting punishment," Grognon went on. "Nothing that will harm her. On the contrary, it might help her learn the error of her ways."

"What a great heart you have!" the deceived fairy cried.

"Strip her of her riches, of her title, of her name, and most of all, strip her of her feminine wiles. Let her be a peasant boy, who must labor for his bread."

The fairy was delighted at the apparent justice of Grognon's request.

"Simple work shall teach her honesty," Grognon explained, "and a humble station will teach her humility."

"I shall do as you ask, my good friend," the fairy replied, "and I shall do more: I shall carry the girl so far from here that she will never find her way back."

"Thank you, my friend," the hypocritcal Grognon said. "And now, you must excuse me... my strength is failing, and I must rest."

"I shall take this miscreant away at once," the fairy told her. "And carry out your noble request."

"Thank you," Grognon said. "There remains only one thing to tell: A word of caution. Do not listen to a word she says. The girl is full of lies, and is an artful deceiver."

The fairy laughed. "Never fear!" she replied, and with a wave of her wand, she and Marcelline were gone.

In the next instant, Marcelline found herself in the middle of a great forest. The cloths that stopped her mouth and bound her hands and feet where gone. The fairy stood before her.

Marcelline tried to speak, to protest her treatment and to tell the fairy the truth of what happened between herself and Grognon. But when she opened her pretty mouth, no sound came out.

The fairy spoke to her. "I have placed a charm upon you so that you cannot speak in my presence. You are fortunate that the Duchess Grognon is so merciful and kind, for I am not. I would gladly lay the worst of punishments upon you. Instead, you have been given the chance to redeem yourself. I hope you will use your new life wisely, though I doubt you will."

With a wave of the fairy's wand, Marcelline's tresses fell away, along with her soft and lovely clothes. In their place came boots, pants, shirt, coat, and hat — all rough, coarse, sturdy stuff. In place of the bright colors she was used to wearing, her new clothes were dull brown and faded white. They were old and worn, but they were clean.

They were the clothes of a man.

The fairy held up a small mirror so Marcelline could see herself. In the reflection Marcelline beheld a handsome young man, dressed as a laborer. When her face showed astonishment and dismay, so did the young man's face.

"I could have made you ugly," the fairy said, "but for a vain thing like yourself that might have been too much to bear. Farewell!"

And with that, the fairy vanished, leaving behind the hand-mirror and a much-distraught young man.

I paused, and sat there thinking. Nina waited, then said, "Hey, the story doesn't end there. Why aren't you reading?"

"I was thinking," I said.

"Are you thinking what the princess will do next?"

"No, I was thinking what *I* was going to do next," I replied. "I need to talk to Cassie."

"Hmmph. Maybe you should stick the book into the back of your pants, in case she swats you."

"I don't think she will," I said, smiling.

"You never do," Nina laughed.

"Hmmph," I said. "Listen, I'll be back soon. Okay?"
 

I walked up the stairs slowly. Something was coming together in my mind: a realization was forming, but it wasn't quite clear yet. Back when I was Marcie Donner, I was interested in girly things: I read Cosmo, I made friends with Ida so I could learn about clothes and shoes and makeup. My bedroom was a teenage girl's dream, with its cool colors and furniture, and I always tried to make the best choice of what to wear.

Now, as Marcie Auburn, I seemed to be very different: my room had no color. It was very spartan, and at the same time it was a mess. As far as I could tell, I wore the same clothes, over and over, until they fell apart or someone else threw them away. I didn't wear makeup, and I played sports.

It didn't make sense.

I went to the door of Cassie's room, which was open, and knocked. Her room was a stark contrast to mine: the walls were a very light color somewhere between lavender and blue, and the furniture was light, natural wood. It was elegant; it was together; it worked. I knew that she'd done it all herself, made all the choices, and that the room perfectly reflected who she was: a intelligent, organized, young woman with taste. Cassie didn't look up. She was sitting on the edge of her bed, looking intently at a list that she held in her hand.

For some reason I found myself saying, "Dilly-dilly."

Cassie rolled her eyes. "Of all the things to remember, you have to remember that?"

I shrugged. "What does it mean?"

She gestured toward the walls. "The color is Lavender Blue. You know the song?"

"Oh, oh, I get it now." I laughed. Mom used to sing it to us when we were small.

"That would be a good thing to forget," she told me. "So what's up?"

"Can you help me with something?" I asked.

She hesitated. "It depends on what it is. I'm sorry, but I don't have a lot of time to tell you the stuff you don't remember. Trust me, it will all come back to you."

"No, it isn't that...," I said.

Cassie looked at me. She was obviously biting her tongue, trying to be patient. She knew I had a problem, but she was busy with something of her own.

"I don't dress very well do I?"

"No," was her curt reply.

"I wear the same junk over and over?"

"Yeah. So?"

"I want to change. I want to dress better. Will you help me pick my clothes for a while? Until I get it?"

She didn't answer right away. Her eyes moved around as she thought. At last she said, "I don't know. Maybe. I can't help you now, though, because I have to get ready for my trip."

"What trip?"

She looked irritated at my not knowing, then said, "I got accepted to Princeton, and I'm going to New Jersey tomorrow for a visit," she said. "I'm going to be there over New Years, and part of next week."

"Oh, yeah," I said, remembering. "Jerry told me. Congratulations."

She stiffened. "You need to remember to not say things like that."

"Okay. I'm sorry."

Cassie scratched her nose. "Listen: After Mom is done with your room, why don't you ask your friend Eden to come over? She knows how to dress, and she'd probably love to help you go through your things and shop with you. Plus, she'd be more patient than I ever would."

"And she won't smack my ass," I interjected.

Cassie laughed. "Yeah, that too. Anyway, one word of advice: DON'T ask Mom for help. She'll have you dressing like Nina, and everyone will laugh at you."

"Okay, thanks," I said.

She smiled. "I won't be here much longer. Around September, I'll go away to college, and then you'll be the big sister here at home. In the meantime, I'll try not to pick on you any more. I've got to grow up, and I want you to have some good memories of me before I go."

I smiled back at her. "But I do have good memories of you, already."

She laughed. "Wait until you start remembering," she said. "I think I'll sleep with my door locked until I'm sure you've calmed down."

I frowned. "Okay," I said. "I don't think it will be that way, though."

She chuckled and stood up, stretching her arms. "You used to be an only child," she said. "Only-childs are weak." As she talked, I was aware that she was getting into position to give me a swat, so I backed into the hallway. "See?" she said. "You're learning. Come here and give me a hug." She held her arms open, and I was torn between suspicion and wanting a hug.

Suspicion won out. "No, thanks," I told her. "I'm good."

"Smart girl," she commented. "Now go. I gotta pack."
 


 

I went to my own bedroom door, which was shut. I could hear Mom still working in there, and some half-remembered sense warned me it was better to stay away until she was done.

After using the bathroom in the master bedroom (my parents' room, I told myself, trying to get used to saying the words), I noticed that it was only three in the afternoon. It surprised me, because it seemed like an incredibly long day so far!

I went back downstairs, expecting to get back to Princess Marcelline, but on the way down I heard the theme song to Hannah Montana. I realized I'd have to wait to find out about the Princess, and decided that it was a good time to call Eden.

I didn't feel entirely ready for the call, since there was so much I didn't yet remember. Still, I reflected, unless Eden had drastically changed, it wouldn't be a problem.

Things were starting to come back to me, but I wasn't really remembering them. For instance, I wanted the phone, and found myself walking into the kitchen, turning right, and picking it off the wall. Just as I'd done countless times before in my life. And Eden's number, well, I knew that anyway, but my finger punched it out just like it does every day.

Eden's mother answered, which surprised me, because I thought she'd still be at work. (See? I remembered that, too!) So, when Eden got on the line, I asked why her mother was home.

"She took the week off," she said. "I told you."

Well, I guess I don't remember everything.

"So, hey: guess what?" I asked her.

"Um, let's see... your mother is painting your bedroom?"

"How did you know?"

"Your mother was SO excited that you finally let her do it, that she called my mother." She giggled. "So you decided that pink is your color?"

I sighed. "She *says* it's not pink. It's Peach Puff."

"And that kind of looks like... something like... pink, right?"

"Yeah," I sighed.

"Face it, Marcie," Eden said. "I have bad news for you: You might be turning into a girly girl."

A girly girl? There it was again. "Actually, Eden, that's the reason I'm calling. Do you think you could help me with my clothes?"

"Help you? With clothes?" she repeated as it registered. Then she shrieked, "Are you kidding!? I'd LOVE to! Do you mean, like go through your stuff... and—" here she sounded cautious "—and, like, throw some things away..."

"Yes," I said. "We have to throw away all the old, crappy stuff, and figure out what works and what I need."

"Oh, my God!" Eden said. "What happened to you!? Are you sure I'm talking to Marcie Auburn? The girl who wears the same old clothes every day?"

"I don't wear the same thing every day!" I protested. "And they're not old, they're just comfortable..." I trailed off. Obviously this was a well-worn track in my brain. One that I had to let go of. "Yes, Eden, I have to reform. I realized that I live like a... like a..."

"Like a BOY," Eden said. "You live like a boy! You know you do! You have a messy room, you don't care about your clothes..."

"Okay, okay," I said. "Don't push it. I want to change, and I want your help. But don't lecture me, okay?"

"Alright," she agreed. "So when can we start?"

I looked up at the ceiling, as if I could see my mother singing to herself as she ran the paint roller.

The pink paint roller.

"As soon as the paint dries," I said.

© 2008 by Kaleigh Way

[OTHER STORIES]

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think maybe I have an inkling of where this is going

I'm not sure so I won't say anything but this was a bit more revealing than previous chapters. This Marcie story is definitely different from the others but different is good. It is entertaining even without the crazy adventures. Monday is a long time to wait til the next one. Good work as always.

It's like Marice Auburn is the flipside of Marcie Donners life

Donner was a boy who accidentally discovered she wants desperately to be a girl and is damned good at it too. Plus she is extremely plucky and helpful to others even at risk to herself.

Marcie Auburn is a girl, a lovely girl but has so far wasted that, she lives like a boy. As far as we can tell her life as a real girl has been dull and ordinary. I wonder like others if in this world the creeps get away with there nasty business because there is no Marcie Donner to stop them?

The fairytale she’s been reading sounds like a twisted allegory of the two Marice's lives. Now which is real, Donner or Auburn, are both real? Is one a dream or something else? Oh and is this one of those old fairytales where the evil bitch queen lives bitchilly ever after and the kind, loving princess get stuck as a male farmhand or worse, never regaining her birthright or getting justice for her unfair punishment? The moral of so many of these old fairytales seems to be, "Life is shit, get used to it."

Mind you, in a more modern fairytale, the fairy would learn of the queen’s treachery and exact a terrible revenge but would it come in time for the Princess, maybe she'll have a wife and children by then. Damn it, I hate it when evil wins.

I am eagar to see how this whole sidetrip ties in to the overall Marcie Donner story, and, P.S. if it is parallel universes/worlds, Star Trek did that one, again and again and again.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

If...

If you remove Mark from Marcie what do you get?

A story about an untidy girl who is a bit of a tomboy...

Up until this 'book' I really enjoyed Marcie's tribulations, she was fun and a bit weird but all in the nicest ways. This book has just got weirder and weirder, to the point where I skipped most of the last chapter.

If Marcie Donner never existed, or the Time Machine thing is real, I think in future I'll just stick with the initial 'books', book three does little for me so far.

Sorry.

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

I feel sad

I really do.

Poor Mark had a revelation that he was a girl inside and became one by accident, by being sent to his aunt. He finds out he likes being a girl. She was able to stop and thwart a lot of injustice in the world and became a heroine as Marcie.

In this world Marcie was not there to stop the kidknapping, or thwart the bank robbery, or thwart the theft of an old woman's purse, or scale the wall to rescue the inhaler for Corey.

So what happened here?

Do we hear in the news of a little girl getting kidnapped from the school was found dead or never found? The old woman had a heart attack and died when the purse snatcher made off with her purse, which had the medicine she needed in it? The bank robbery went off without a hitch and maybe someone got shot? The evil cop ended up getting the right girl this time; recieved the reward and he had the girl killed after all? Corey never got the inhaler in time and he died?

Marcie was a heroine several times over, she had true friends, her life was exciting, she got several rewards that set her up for life after highschool. Now she is a nobody, the younger sister of Cassie who must be very jealous because Marcie is better looking than her. Sort of the queen in the story who has everything and it is not enough, until she herself destroys someone life.

I find it difficult that Marcie wants to continue in this life just because she is a genetic girl now, and essentially a nobody, for earlier in this life, she was a tomboy with no taste.

Marcie had affected a lot of lives in her real timeline, here she may have what she thinks are friends but can she so carlessly throw her previopus life away like that without some regret? Did her parents not treat her with love and understanding? Where they not proud of their new daughter?

Ok I'm sentimental, a persons life is changed by their experiances and the decisions one makes and choses in their lifetime. The new Marcie will never have to make these decisions, so does she become nothing more than an underachieving valley girl? A wife and mother to some unappreciating jock?

Her dad and sisters know what has happened, all except the mother? Does Cassie resent having Marcie as a sister, for she remembers the good times she had with her brother? Did her brother actually save Cassie at some time that makes Cassie feel like she lost a part of herself, for he is no longer there to help and protect her? Or did Jerry protect Nina and Nina misses her older brother? Maybe Nena is trying to get Marcie to hit the reset button after all, by making her read these stories. Nena wants Marcie to realize what she had given up in this timeline. I know I would feel hurt if I lost a brother.

I do so hope that something happens were everyone invovled will realize the reset button has to be hit, for it effects more than the obvious things when things in the past have been altered. Robert Heinlien wrote a book on this very subject about going back in time. The travel accidentally killed a butterfly when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth. That one little act changed everything in the future where essentially there was no future. Scary stuff, but it makes one think. All we have discussed is the obvious things, but what is the repercussions in the future? Do the right things happen to keep the human race alive? Or is it on a path of self distruction becaue events are not happening properly.

The little girl that Marcie saved, may have discovered the cure for some disease, or saved the world from a global war. Because she was kednapped and killed or disappeared, she would not be around to stop that war, or cure that disease. You never know, because the possibilities are endless.

Marcie, Hit the RESET button. There are devine reasons for the things that have happened in your life, don't alter it, all because you are now a girl with a working womb and a vagina. I believe in destiny and I beleive that you were meant to go through the things you did for a reason, please go back and see what those reasons are.

Sorry Kaleigh, but the story has gotten a bit strange.

I'm sorry...

..but it will all be right in the end. It really will.

Remember that the story will read quite differently when it's all here and you can flip ahead, or read quickly over some parts, or go immediately to the next chapter. It's agonizingly slow for me, too, but I can only do one chapter every two days at this point.

If it's too hard to take, you can wait until I post a blog entry that it's safe to start reading again. It will come soon. Once I post a chapter called "Put Her Down!", the Marcie Auburn digression will be over forever. It won't be more than two weeks from now, and I really will make a blog post to announce it. I don't want to say exactly which chapter number, because a spoiler would spoil something.

I really am sorry for the distress it's causing some readers, but remember what Marcie said in the first chapter:

This time I have a much stranger story — or maybe a couple of stories — to tell. They're all clumped together and connected, and it's very confusing. I'm pretty sure that it all makes sense in the end, but you have to know the whole story first...

Keep in mind that while I'm telling this story — or these stories — to you, I'm also trying to get the facts straight in my own head, and get it all written down before I forget any of the details.

This is really the story of a vacation I took in the South Seas, or mostly the story of my South-Sea vacation...

I feel annoyed

erin's picture

This complaint seems much further out in left field than any story. Sorry about that but I find the constant, unceasing, irrational carping over this story annoying as hell.

I find Marcie's actions very understandable, much more understandable than this what-might-have-been complaint. Marcie's actions are consistent, as realistic as the situation allows, and illuminating at to her motivations and desires.

The person who would have immediately pressed the button to return to the previous timeline is not the person who would have fought kidnappers, climbed buildings or leaped out of trains. You can't have a cautious, prescient Marcie and an impulsive, heroic one at the same time.

Please people, let Kaleigh tell her story and stop this nit-picking.

And if anyone objects to my criticizing the critiques this story is getting -- think about it.

I don't like doing this, but this complaining is affecting my enjoyment of the story because it is so unfair. Unfair to Kaleigh, Marcie and to the readers who ARE enjoying the story and normally enjoy the comments on such an original, thoughtful and well-written tale.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Agreed !

I think what is happening is some readers have a one track expectation of Marcie's character and/or behavour and am upset over not getting what they 'want'. I think Marcie is behavour is consistent, if you read carefully. Leave them be, but I am requesting the naysayers out there who finally get what happens at the end of this story arc that they sincerely apologize to Kaleigh.

Kim

Kim

I'm with Erin on this one.

You can't expect an author to write you the same story over and over. No one is going to
write a story the way every reader would, and no matter how hard you try, you can't please everyone.

As authors, we have to know what you are thinking. That is how we get better, and learn
to produce the stories that you like. There are two things that readers simply must
remember though:

Comments are incredibly powerful. The 'Oh my god, my mother saw that', reaction is always in full force here. If you have some disappointment, consider whither or not it might be better received as a PM.

Secondly, we all need to remember that even though some parts of a story my not be to our liking, the author felt them necessary for some reason. Unfortunately, no author can casually comment on where a story is going to explain exactly why. It's incredibly unfair to the readers who are looking forward to the rest of the story. If you are dissatisfied, then you must let the author know. I am sure that both Kaleigh and I, believe that is an invaluable tool. Just remember, you can not expect to be satisfied very quickly.
We will seldom be able to tell you the why’s, let alone change the story.

If you stop reading a story, any story, for God’s sake let the Author know why in
a pm. For now, discussions like the questions I see raised here just have to come at the
end of the story. That is the time when we will know what author did, and why, and
that is the best time to give the constructive advice that most of us need rather badly. I
know I do.

Even though she's too nice to say it, and I would not say it about a story I wrote either, this has to be putting pressure on Kaleigh. I won't say it's unfair. Kaleigh chose to do this; but, in doing so, she has given us hours and hours of wonderful entertainment; and many stories and ideas that we will carry with us for the rest of our lives. We will all benefit so much more from encouragements.

Sarah Lynn

Dang Joni

I think you read my thoughts 5 years in the past and wrote a very good synopsis of what was running thru my mind when I was giggling about morals & ethics at end of previous chapter

I have another thought that I live by -

when you choose an action --- you choose the consequences of that action also

when you desired a consequence --- you had dammed well better take an
action that would create it

Perhaps that is the whole point of this particular Marcie story

You know that Marcie had to wonder what it would be like to have been born female and experience all that goes with that. This is a way for her to do that and for her to see that it is not necessarily the best thing for her or for everyone else around her as well. I could be wrong but I think that is, at least in part, the purpose of this tangent.

A silly idea for the dilly!!!

I remembered this birthday card that my brother and I would exchange for several years until we got tired of it. We did it for about 10 years. On the front of the card it states: You want to hear a couple of dillys? .... wait a moment I better stop before I give it away, I think...

Hello Kaleigh!!! ^___^ ;-D

Well I think your story is silly fun. And a dilly of a story. And that's enough said on that subject!!!

Have a great weekend!!! Waiting patiently for the next chapter before we laugh our silly heads off. hah, hah, hah....

Rachel

The curse of writing likeable characters ...

that's why all the grumbling.

I suspect some of us have hit the *mark* of what is going on. As you say, Kaleigh Way, give it time. I agree, heck what has it been, a day or so as Marcie Auburn? Even as Marcie Donner she would check things out, see what is what before hitting the reset button. Marcie/Mark is a curious child, that's in part why she gets in so much trouble.

Plus this Marcie is a different Marcie with different experiences in her past due to always being a girl, well after she was changed by the time machine. She would not act the same and so far you have her as being a mix of the REAL Marcie and the machine Marcie which makes sense.

For all we know this is a weird dream brought on by the stress of the last few days and being on a long jet flight. Maybe it and the fairytale are her subconscious telling her not to be complacent and that she has been blessed? IE "you have it good Hon, except for not being completely a girl yet and likely never becoming a biological parent, but don't get stuck up, remember your roots.".

Whatever. Nice work so far and be patient with us grumbling, gimmie-gimmie, ungrateful bastard readersTM.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Being an Auburn does have the advantage that she need never listen to all those horrid Donner Party cannibal jokes anymore.

P.P.S. Where's the next chapter,

Signed, Mr. Ungrateful B. Reader

P.P.P.S. I'm being just being silly here, okay?

John in Wauwatosa

Silliness always appreciated

Thanks, John!

But now she'll always have Auburn hair, no matter which color it really is.

Following Along

I had some free time, and even though the series isn't complete, I decided to see what Marcie and co. were up to, and ended up reading 50 - 60 chapters. I'm really impressed with the way you've kept my attention so far. Your characterization is outstanding, which is what holds this ride to wherever together.

I don't believe that I've ever read this sort of story before. As far as I can see, it's been a smörgåsbord of sub-plots that eventually resolve themselves without forming a part of a discernible whole. There's a little bit about a boyfriend, Maisie, family angst, a bank robbery, a stuffy penguin, a kidnapping, the occult, magic, a ghost, an apparent time machine which places her into an alternate universe, a mystical set of stories.... What's next, Marcie joining the Sailor Scouts?

I'm not complaining, mind. It's all been entertaining and very imaginative. As best I can describe it, this is "The Marcie Show," a literary sitcom/drama. The closest I've seen to this was the movie, "The Mysterious Stranger," a very loose adaptation of a Mark Twain novel, where a printer's apprentice goes through a number of wild adventures in space and time with no ultimate point to it.

I'm rambling. I suppose it's a question of expectations. After reading a novel-length batch of text, I still have no clue where this is going, or even could possibly go that would wrap up all the parts in a coherent way. At this point, while I like Marcie and am engaged with her character, I'm not sure that I want to stay with her if she is just going to go through one mini-adventure after another. Others who like the endless Drew, Tuck, and "Falling" sagas love that sort of thing, but not me. I'd be far more inclined to stick with her if she had some ultimate goal, some point of tension, a struggle that she must overcome -- and a satisfying ending.

I hope that's the route you're taking.

Still, there's no doubt of your very considerable writing skills and imagination. I never would have read this far without them.

Regards,

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

This ride to wherever

Thanks -- I don't get many global comments like yours, and I appreciate your taking the time to read all that.

I'm pretty sure that *plot* is one of my weak points... Rules Are Rules didn't have one at all, it just had a time limit, which was Thanksgiving, and I tried to make at least one goofy thing happen per week.

But with What Maisie Knew and the current story, there is a "plot" in the sense of that there is an endpoint, and that everything in the story is dedicated to arriving, as quickly as possible, at that endpoint. With Maisie, everything points to the confrontation between Marcie and the policeman.

This story is the same, in that there is a definite endpoint and resolution, which will tie everything together.

I don't think you can find anything in What Maisie Knew that doesn't have that function, and it will be the same in this story, once it's complete.

I realize that it doesn't read that way — everything seems accidental and pointless and casual, but (at least from my point of view) it isn't.

What I'm trying to do is pile up story elements until they naturally (and hopefully unexpectedly) tip over into something else. Until that tipping point, everything is (again, hopefully!) just ha-ha-ha and WTF.

As far as some overarching goal, such as defeating Voldemort or becoming queen of Monaco or marrying Professor Higgins, no, there isn't any such thing. Although I'll be thinking about it, now that you brought it up.

Kaleigh

"You live like a boy!"

interesting. could she be a trans male in this reality?

DogSig.png