Breathing...Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

*Before…

It’s doing all this stuff and having a few more drinks as we’re doing it and talking and it’s Terri’s turn as she talks about some cool people she met and that a couple were girls and that mixed in her head with what I was going through and doing and she figured out that she’s… “Maybe Bi or like Pan or whatever.”

After things are done we’re having another round of drinks then grandma says.

“Why don’t you go and change so we can spend time with Robin?”

I swallow my tea and schnapps. “Are you sure?”

I look at her and Mom and then Dad and Grandpa and they’re all nodding and Terri smiles at me. “C’mon Robin let’s go and get you changed.”

*And Now…

Terri takes my hand and we head to my room and she closes my door as I pull the totes from under my bed out.

I look at her. “I couldn’t put her, me into the closet. I just can’t Ter.”

“So under the bed so you’re sort of sleeping over her or you or like whatever?”

I blush and do a shaky nod.

She helps me go through things and she even steps out while I do my downstairs tuck and gaff business and she smiles when I say that it’s okay to come back in.

“Cute panties.”

“Thanks, I like them and they’re something...I don’t know. For me? It’s like that first serious clothing thing that I’ve bought like y’know.”

Terri nods. “There was so much of that for me this summer, it was like me buying for me and judging things for what I wanted and it was for like everything. Aunt Chris gave me lots of advice but this was me really kind of getting to…”

“Breathe?” I say to her smiling.

“Exactly, no parents and no friends and none of what other people around me thought. Just me living and working and making all of my own choices.”

I’m nodding as I’m rolling on some deodorant and then a tiny puff of body spray and then it’s getting into my bra and inserts and getting them right and settled before getting into my bra and then I slip into a skirt that I like and sandals and match it with my camp t-shirt from the lake and Terri helps me do a quick fix with my hair and I’m pretty nervous as we head back out.

Dad smiles and both Grandpa and Grandma are definitely giving me a serious look over and then they both hug me.

Grandma says. “Hello Robin it’s really nice to meet you.”

“Hi…” I can’t help it I’m blushing and she’s doing that grandma thing where she fixes your hair in a good way just to like care-fuss.

up
171 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"care-fuss."

giggles. I love that idea. and what an awesome amount of support she's getting.

DogSig.png

Every time I read more of this story.......

D. Eden's picture

It only makes me wish that my family had been as understanding and supportive when I was that age. How different would my life have been? How different would I be today?

Yeah, shouldn’t have read this one while eating lunch at Olive Garden. It’s always fun to realize you are crying and the two older women sitting across from you are watching. They were so polite and so worried about me........ all I could do was tell them I had just read a really sad scene in the book I was reading and that I was very emotional today. It was actually kind of cute - one of them looked at me and told it was best not to read those things when it was my time of the month. All I could do was smile at her and thank them for their concern. I told her I knew better, but it was just such a good story!

Damn it Bailey, you got me again.

D

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Identity is important

And it seems as though Robin is connecting well with hers. Developing that individual spark of identity can be hugely tumultuous when opposed by the pressures of outside influence. The support of family will play a pivotal role for Robin's future, I would think.

Had to smile at Grandma's fussing.

Thank you Bailey *big hugs*
Jenna

short...

but nice. thanks