Lady in Waiting Book 2 Part 9

Printer-friendly version
Book 2
Lady in Waiting Part 9
lady in waiting 2.jpg

In this and future episode’s of Book 2 I have borrowed very heavily from the excellent ‘Sharpe’ series of books by Bernard Cornwell which describe the times, the country and the life in the army perfectly.
I have avoided using any names in those novels but in a few places I have used Major Sharpe as a cameo character.

I was kept waiting for five days throughout this time I could see Major Sharpe looking at me talking to Sergeant Gilroy and William but saying nothing to me.
I quizzed William every night but the major was telling him nothing. Hence as the time passed I grew more and more despondent. As Major Sharpe was leaving soon to advance into Northern Spain thence to France this would leave Richard and his platoon with the main army to act as their eyes and ears

Anna tried to look on the bright side and tried to cheer me up but it was no good by now she could read and write quite well and I managed to start to teach her some French and continue with her numbers.
Then it was time to move the camp was a hive of activity Anna and I started to gather our meagre possessions when the major approached us.
“Not you two Ladies Viscount Wellington does not think it proper that a mother and her children should march with us – you are being sent back to England.”

Anna was the first to catch on to his words she exclaimed, “Oh Miss Charlotte we are going home!”
Then I realised what he had said I looked at him asking, “You agree Richard?” He nodded saying, “Yes Miss Charlotte so Viscount Wellington is sending an escort to take you back to the coast and there will be a ship to take you home.”

He looked steadily at me continuing, “I have always liked your spirit. There are not many of your class that would risk their lives for their maid...” “Companion” I corrected him automatically.
“By God you are so argumentative woman! Now where was I? Not only risking their life for their companion (he said that in an ironic tone) but willing to bring up two orphans as their own. Indeed you and young William are very special for your class.”

I dropped him a curtsy thanking him from the bottom of my heart before he left he commented. “No one here will say anything about the children they think too much of the two of you and Sergeant Gilroy has threatened them with dire retribution if they do!” He smiled grimly as he said this then finished with,
“Now I suggest that the two of you change into some of your looted finery so you look like ladies; your escort will be here shortly.”

As he left I asked, “Richard when I christen the twins may I call the boy Richard?”
His face softened as he replied, “I would be proud for you to do this.”
Then I turned to Sergeant Gilroy asking, “I would also like Patrick to be another of his names if I could Sergeant?”

Gilroy beamed and said he also would be honoured then he asked, “What are you calling the little girl Miss?”

I thought briefly and informed everyone, “Our daughter will be Annabelle Constance Anna Ffinch. (Annabelle is William’s mothers first name and Constance my mothers second name).
While our son will be named George Edmund Richard Patrick Ffinch (My Father’s name was Edmund and George is Williams fathers name) - do you agree William?

William had a smile that said it all. The major commented, “Wise man William agreeing – your wife in this mood brooks little argument!”
I realised that I had just said my daughter and son and it felt wonderful though what Mama would say remains to be seen.
Anna squealed, “Oh Miss Charlotte you are calling her after me! Oh what an honour thank you miss!”

Then William and I spent time writing letters to our parents telling them of the ‘happy event’
My letter to Mama was couched in words that I hoped Mama would or could read my real meaning into the letter and she is fully aware that I could not have children.

The relevant passage of my letter was

William and I have had a joyous event and have been blessed by God with twins a boy and a girl.
They came into our lives while we were in the mountains of Portugal and I must say the birth for me was very easy.
Dearest Mama I know this will be a shock to you but I hope that once again you will forgive me.
I know this letter will reach you before I arrive back in England but the first thing I will do is to visit you to tell you my story.

The rest of my letter contained general trivia and gossip as is usual in families.

After we had written the letters they were sealed and sent poste haste to the coast along with other regimental correspondence’s to be sent to England on a fast messenger sloop.

Then I smiled and hugged Anna saying, “Come let us make ready to depart.”
Our ‘looted finery’ as the major called the ladies clothes the troopers had liberated from King Joseph Bonaparte’s personal baggage train were of the finest I had ever seen we also had some jewellery and of course our small hoard of ‘liberated’ gold the troopers had given us.

We washed in the stream then dressed for the first time in well over a year I wore a corset.
My underclothes were of the finest cotton Anna tied my corset and I did the same for her.
My dress was Empire line in the finest peach silk with a gossamer over dress in gold with embroidered flowers the dress was gathered under my bust leaving my creamy shoulders exposed and it had small puff-ball sleeves.
The dress came down to my ankles and I wore black silk stockings and delightful black shoes.

Anna wore a cream lawn dress with ruffles along the bust line and the hem her dress had ¾ sleeves her neckline was more modest than my own.
It was wonderful to look and feel like a woman again to feel the silk against skin I absolutely revelled in the feeling.
My long hair was brushed straight down my back and caught at the back of my head with elaborate tortoise shell combs. I also wore a wide brimmed hat and carried a parasol.

“Oh Miss Charlotte you look wonderful.” Anna gasped. I smiled my thanks and repaid the compliment adding, “Now we go back to England dear Anna.”

We left the tent and caused quite a stir all action stopped as the troopers stared at us as usual Gilroy broke the spell shouting, “C’mon ya lazy bastards get a move on!”
Then as he came round the corner he stopped when he saw us and stammered, “M’lady sorry I didn’t see ya.”
I smiled sweetly and admonished him, “I thought I have told you to call me Charlotte?”
He looked embarrassed mumbling, “Yes M’lady but you look like - well a lady.”

“Patrick these are just clothes I’m still the same person” I stated. “B, b, but” he started to say so I went over to him and kissed him on his prickly cheek.
This got him all embarrassed and I swear he blushed.
I went and found my husband and children kissing him on the lips I whispered, “I do love you William are you sure you do not mind the children?”
He smiled lovingly answering, “No my dear heart our family is complete – but what will your mother say?”
I grinned cheekily and answered, “I simply do not know my love but she’ll come around after all I am her wayward daughter and having these two may curb the wild side of me.”

There came the trill of a nightingale William looked at me and sadly said, “Your escort is approaching Charlotte.” I grinned and answered, “William you really must ask Thompson if he would become our gamekeeper when this bloody war finished.”

Then I clung to William, as I didn’t know when I would see him again I whispered, “I love you so very much I promise you I’ll look after our children and you promise my you will look after yourself.”
He kissed me tenderly answering, “I will my love. I love you with all my heart.”
Another kiss and the escort arrived with a wagon for Anna and myself and a dozen redcoats under a young Ensign mounted on a fine horse.

The Ensign looked about sixteen and in truth a pimply-faced youth (this from a girl of Twenty Two years) and he was full of his own self-importance.
“You there! Fellow!” he imperiously shouted towards Gilroy and William. I could see them both bristle at this young spotty faced youths tone.
Gilroy answered, “D’ee mean us?” he said this with an insolent sneer on his face goading the youth.
This worked perfectly as the Ensign sat higher in the saddle, “Yes you now where is your commanding officer – and be quick before I have you flogged.”

This was like a red rag to a bull and Sergeant Gilroy played the insolent idiot perfectly. (I had seen his back and the latticework of scars caused by the lash)
Patrick looked at William – who hadn’t said a word as yet saying, “He want’s an officer he do?”
William played along saying in a broad Yorkshire accent, “Aye he do!”
The youth full of his own self importance and rage made the mistake of raising his riding crop as if to strike Gilroy and William.
Instantly a dozen baker rifles were raised pointed at the Ensign and his red coats.

This had the effect of making him stop instantly. The old sergeant with him looked around at the rifles levelled at his men and said in a broad Dorset Accent, “Now lads we’ze no argument with youz. Tis the youth he’s new ere.”
The to the Ensign he asked, “Zurr I baint argue with these, they’ze kill a Frenchy at without a thought zurr.”

I thought that this had gone far enough so in my best cut crystal voice I said, “Ensign - errr excuse me but I missed your name?”
I looked at him with raised eyebrows demanding a response. In a fluster he stammered, “Ensign Hugh Rothwell at your service madam.”
I looked at him smiled coldly and answered, “Thank you. Tell me are you of the Rothwell’s of Ayrmin hall?”
He gave me a surprised look managing to answer, “Yes miss that’s my parent’s – are you acquainted with them?”

“My Mama is, I am Lady Charlotte Grenford – or rather I was before I was married. Lady Charlotte Ffinch pleased to meet you Hugh”
The youth looked even more confused at this revelation obviously wondering what on earth I was doing with this bunch of ruffians.
Seizing the advantage I continued, “Gentlemen please lower your gun’s the Ensign is about to apologise to Lieutenant Ffinch. Are you not Hugh?” I finished sweetly.

Now the youth was totally in disarray stammering, “Yes M’lady but where is the Lieutenant?”
Grimly I told him, “You were just about to strike a senior officer – which I believe is a capital offence is it not?”
The poor boy turned white at this while all the soldiers simply grinned enjoying the young ensign’s embarrassment.
I turned to William and linking my arm into his I introduced them, “Hugh I would like you to meet my husband Captain William Ffinch.”

This was enough for poor Hugh he nearly fainted at the thought of what he had nearly done. I carried on, “And this is sergeant Gilroy. Come Anna let us get the babies ready.”

With that I turned like a ship of the line tacking and went to make sure we were ready for the trip back home.
I rounded the tent and Major Sharpe was stood there gently smiling he had obviously witnessed the whole affair.
He looked at me with something akin to admiration saying, “I have said this many times before but you are a force to be reckoned with Lady Charlotte!”
I smiled sweetly nodding my head is thanks and commenting, “And I have told you before my name is Charlotte!”
He snorted saying, “God do you always have to have the last word girl!”
Keeping the sweet smile I nodded and simply said, “Yes.” Making sure that I had the last word as I went to get my children (for this is how I thought of them).

I said my goodbyes to the horse that had carried me so far then picked up my meagre belongings packed in 2 of the French backpacks the wonderful troopers had liberated for me and Anna and of course my Baker carbine then I made my way back to where the Ensign was waiting.
When I arrived I handed the carbine to Sergeant Gilroy saying, “Thank you for the lessons Patrick I suppose I better hand this back to you.”

“God bless you miss Charlotte she’s yours now – you take good care o’her and she’ll take good care o’you.”
I smiled gratefully and kissed his bearded cheek then I slung the carbine proudly over my shoulder thinking that with the beautiful gown I was wearing and child in my arms I must make a strange sight.

The Red Coats put our luggage on the cart and I passed Annabelle to Anna then turned to Major Sharpe, Captain Miles and the troopers that had been like a family to me for the past 14 months.
I felt like crying as these men had looked after us and we in turn had tended them when they were wounded and comforted those that were dying as I looked through a sea of tears I managed to say, “I thank you all for looking after Anna and myself and of course my children.”
Then turning to the Major I stood on tiptoe Kissed him on his scarred cheek and managed to say, “Thank you so much Richard; Anna and I owe our lives to your men – please look after my William.”

This big confident man looked down at my tear-streaked face and softly said, “I will Charlotte now get off with you and say goodbye to your husband.”
Turning to William I threw myself into his arms and kissed him passionately sobbing, “Goodbye my love please take good care of yourself I love you so much.”

Then I fled to the waiting cart where Sergeant Gilroy stood ready to help me onto it.
Once I got settled he passed me a bundle saying, “The lad’s found these by the side of the road and thought.............”
I looked at all the troopers standing there grinning and thanked them all then to the cheers of the troopers the cart and escort set off. This was the second week in August 1813 with luck we would be home by Christmas.

“Ensign Rothwell” Major Sharpe called. “Yes Sir?” With a grim smile Major Sharpe said, “Take good care of those two ladies or else we will have to find you!”
The implied threat was there and poor Hugh realised it and blanched stammering, “O, o, of course sir” and with that we departed with what little dignity he still had remaining.

The first day went well we progressed about 6 miles the pace was slow as the wagon simply could not go fast.
“Hugh how long will it take to reach the coast?” The young ensign was riding alongside the wagon, “About a week possibly ten days Lady Charlotte.”
This was bad news as the wagon was an uncomfortable torture to our corseted bodies. I heard Anna sigh then I made my mind up.
“Anna tonight we change into our comfortable clothes as I don’t know about you but this is sheer hell!”
She looked really relieved at this answering, “Oh thank goodness Miss Charlotte I couldn’t stand a week of this.” Grimly I answered “Exactly.”

About 5 in the afternoon camp was made as soon as our tent was put up we disappeared inside to emerge a short while later in our Maja style clothing which had no corset and was far easier to move about in as the skirt was shorter and looser. (In England this would be classed as scandalous)
Poor Hugh looked aghast at us until I told him, “Hugh if we are to be on that cart for at least a week Anna and I need to be comfortable do not worry we’ll change back into ladies before we meet with the main army.”
Next problem was the food – putting it mildly it was inedible. I tasted it and spat it out, it was a mix of salted gristle and fat mixed with some form of crushed up biscuit.

Hugh said apologetically, “I am sorry Lady Charlotte but this is all we have!” “Hugh” I asked, “Ask your sergeant if any of his men used to be poachers we have a few hours of daylight left for us to get fresh meat.” “B. b. but” he started to argue I smiled sweetly saying, “Please do as I ask.” My tone leaving no room for argument I went and got my carbine.
Anna was about to try the food when I passed by her warning her, “I would not eat that if you want to live, now meet me at the Ensigns tent I need you to forage for herbs and wild vegetables.
I met her outside the tent and the sergeant stood with three men. Hugh looked somewhat uncomfortable telling me that his sergeant used to be a gamekeeper and these soldiers had been caught poaching.

I was all business like saying, “Sergeant you please come with me with one of your men and will the other two please go with Anna she will tell you what is needed.”
As we were about to set off I said, “Please could you take off your tunics as they are very noticeable.”
Then we set off I moved like Sergeant Gilroy had taught me and soon my companions fell into their old way of moving about in the countryside.
After an hour or so I began to feel that this was a fool’s errand when I saw the soldier beckoning to me. Carefully and quietly I moved across to where he was and he pointed out a small herd of wild goats about 200 paces away.

I knew that I had one chance with these animals if I missed they would be gone.
Settling down I licked my thumb and finger then cleaned my fore and back sight of dust, judging the wind direction and speed and assessing the distance.
I remembered everything Patrick Gilroy had taught me I could hear him tell me, “No fancy shot’s Miss aim at the chest or better the back of the fore leg through the chest then you’ll get a heart shot!”
It was like he was behind me whispering instructions as I steadied my breathing and squeezed the trigger offering a silent prayer.
The animal I was aiming at jerked as the rest disappeared then it fell after staggering a couple of paces – I had done it!

My two companions looked at me with something akin to awe the old sergeant gasping, “If I b’aint ha seen it – you a young slip of a maid.” I smiled my thanks as I reloaded and suggested, “If you would be so kind as the fetch our supper I would appreciate it.”
While they went and retrieved our kill I finished reloading then stood waiting for them to return all the time mulling over how much my life had changed since I set out looking for Anna.
I was now a married woman and mother – oh and it would seem rather a good shot with the Baker Rifle.

Historical Note: The daily rations issued to each soldier in the British Army during the Napoleonic Wars were as follows:
1½ lbs.’ Bread or Flour, or 1 lb. of Ship’s Biscuit
1 lb Beef, or ½ lb Pork
¼ pint Dried Peas
1 oz Cheese or Butter
1 oz Rice
5 pints Small Beer, or 1 pint Wine, or ½ pint Spirits

Those women who were lucky enough to be listed on a company’s ‘strength’ were permitted ½ of a daily ration and children allowed a ¼ but neither where allowed the alcohol.
The weight of the meat included that of bone. It was also a common practice for soldiers to pool their rations, known as 'messing' with the benefit that larger and better cuts of meat could be given to a mess to be shared amongst its members.
The main substitute for bread was the ship's biscuit; these were rock hard, often alive with maggots or mouldy. Charles Napier describes in a letter to his mother that,
‘We are on biscuits full of maggots, and though I’m not a bad soldier, hang me if I can relish maggots.’
The biscuits were so hard in fact that it was common for the need to break them with the heel of a shoe or hammer. Wellington even commented on the bad sate of the rations given to the army saying.
‘The soldiers seldom get enough to eat, and what they do get is delivered to them half mouldy.’

Another tale about the biscuits that's worth quoting is by Rifleman Costello, even though it is quite long it is worth quoting in full. As it show how daft some of the army regulations were.
‘Our Division were given linen bags, made exactly to fit across our knapsacks, with three day’s biscuit (3lbs) for each bag. The bags were to be kept well tied, and strapped on top of each man's knapsack.
The Brigadier expected us to be on short commons (rations) while on the Pyrenees and these were to be our last resource in case of scarcity. No man was to taste a morsel of biscuit unless given orders to that effect.
Consequently these bags were examined every morning by officers commanding the companies seeing them strapped snugly on the knapsacks they considered them to be all right.
However, our fellows were never at a loss for subterfuge, and they planned to evade the officer’s vigilance by eating all their biscuits except one whole one, which they kept at the top to be seen. In place of the others, they substituted chips of wood.
They did very well for some time, but one day, whilst on private parade Captain Johnston took it into his head to see his company’s biscuit shaken out. The first man on the right of his company was the unfortunate Tom Crawley. “Untie your bag Crawley,” said the Captain. Tom did as he was ordered, and showed the Captain a very good- looking biscuit a-top. “Shake the whole out. I want to see if they are getting mouldy.” “Faith, there is no fear of that,” said Crawley, looking at the Captain hard in the face then casting a woeful eye on his bag.
But the Captain was not to be baulked. Taking the bag by both ends, he emptied out its contents, which was no more and no less than a few dry chips. Poor Tom, as upright as a dart, stood scratching his head. His countenance would have made a saint laugh. “What have you done with your biscuit? Have you eaten it, sir?” Tom, motionless, made no answer. “Do you know it is against orders?”
“To be sure I do, sir” says Tom; “but, for God sake, do you take me for a South American jackass, that carries gold and eats straw?” This answer not only set the Captain, but the whole company, in roars of laughter, and on further inspection, he found that they, and indeed the regiment, had adopted the same plan. Through this our bags were taken away, and we were relieved from carrying wood chips.

One of the other main sources of food was from plundering the dead. Rifleman Harris whilst on picket duty one evening comments that;
‘As three Frenchmen were lying dead amongst the long grass upon the spot where I was standing. As I threw my rifle to my shoulder, and walked past them on my beat I observed they had been plundered, and the haversacks having been torn off, some of the contents were scatted about. Among other things, a small quantity of biscuit lay at my feet…The biscuits, however, which lay in my path, I thought a blessed windfall, and, stooping, I gathered them up, scraped off the blood with which they were sprinkled with my bayonet, and eat them ravenously.’
Even when the soldiers had received their rations there was the problem of getting enough firewood to cook them. Being as French army had mostly stripped the countryside on their way through and again on their way back whilst being pursued by the British.
Houses abandon by the local inhabitants was also use as firewood; soldiers would take up floors and even take down the roof for the timber beams, so as to cook their food. In the summer, sometime the best they could hope for was stubble or dry grass to burn.
Drunkenness was a big problem for the army as it was one of the main forms of recreation for the common soldier, and also the result of some of the worse conduct shown by the soldiers, such as the aftermath at the storming of Badajoz and Cuidad Rodrigo. Where all discipline was lost for a few days while a lot of soldiers indulged in a drunken orgy. Drink was not all doom and gloom as Sergeant Morris of 73rd recalls in his dairy,
‘Poor Jack was so fond of drink, that he was always getting into some scrape, and passed a great deal of his time in the guard-room, as a prisoner. His frolics however, when inebriated, were of so perfect good humored and harmless …When any of the men were to be deprived of their grog, it was generally spilt in the front of the company… to save, at least a portion of it. Turning his eyes in a direction behind the officer, he said “Here's the general coming, Sir”; the officer turned sharply round, to see where, and in the meantime Jack had both hands under the canteen, receiving as much as they would contain, and conveying it to his mouth. The officer could not help laughing at the ingenuity of the trick, and generously returned him the canteen, with a portion of the spirit remaining in it.’

up
99 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sadly, the Armies and even

Sadly, the Armies and even Navies were still using the "biscuits" well into and after the American Civil War. (1860-1865)
In the US, they were named "hardtack"; or by most actually called "dog biscuits".
From what I have read about them, you had to soak them for a long time to get them to be soft enough to eat or you would break your teeth on them. Many soldiers did just that and had the mouths to prove it.
We did have "crackers" in some of our C-ration cans during Vietnam. Many of the cans in the early days (1964-1967) actually dated from the Korean War era (1950-53); and they could be very hard as well. So history does have a way of repeating itself in the most odd of ways.

Most armies of the day.......

D. Eden's picture

And truly even many even unto today, lived essentially off the land. This puts a great burden on the populace, especially in the case of a retreat as the retreating army would do it's utmost to destroy any supplies it could not take with it. Even going so far as to burn crops in the fields - hence the origin of the term scorched earth.

Even as miserable as the US military's MRE can be, it is light years beyond anything that has preceded it as far as field rations go.

D

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus