Beyond the Tales Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version


Beyond the Tales

Book 2

Chapter 12

Wake Up!


jzgtj9.jpg

My dinner was soup and soft bread. After two weeks asleep my body was not use to taking in food the normal way. So I had to build back up slowly. Dang it I sure have spent a lot of this summer out of it. Well I hope my Babies are all right. Dang twins. Here I thought my baby making time was at an end now I am having twins. Some one or Some thing has been fooling around inside of me and I don't like it. For two months I thought I was just having a girl now I find I am having a girl And a boy. Something screwy is going on.

After dinner I got caught up on what had been happening in the last two weeks. Alexis and Cryss were both really taking to Fire magic and Air magic. Kia has added Fire magic to her list of magic she tested well in. Ronda has taken to Water magic. Josie had upgraded her Earth magic. Lynette was into Water magic now. Charlotte was doing well in Fire magic. Milla had combined her Wind and Water magic to get a Storm (s). So the entire class was upgrading their skills. All while I was in a coma. Do they really need me at all? Sam had found a girlfriend and was planning to move out. Ben was the only one who seemed the same. Grandmother seemed to really like teaching so I guess I can just let it be all about the babies.

Grandmother must have sensed where my thoughts were going. She asked "Do you need another hormone potion? I have one here somewhere. We don't have time for you to get depressed. There is a lot to do to get ready for babies. You have not even got a nursery yet. Now you need to do everything in twos. There is a lot of shopping to do. Have you decided on names yet?"

I smiled "Yes her name is Belle Rose and his name John Lance. Last name I am not sure if I should use my last name then Bens or just Bens. For formal names probly use both. As for the Nursery I will get to it in the next few days. Now that I know what I want it to look like. You are right that there is a lot to do and my energy is not up to any of it yet. In fact I will be going back to bed in a little while."

She said "Then you don't want to teach a class on baby safe toys or on using the weave to make baby clothes?"

I smiled at her "Maybe tomorrow, Tonight a cuddle with my love then to bed. I will be up to doing much more after I do that." And that is just what I did.

I the morning I was up and ready before breakfast. I went down stairs and took my seat at the table. I was feeling pretty good. The link compact sounded and I answered Angels call "Morning Angel how is my big sister?"

She said "I woke up yesterday to find out I had been in a coma for two weeks. To my surprise I was now 8 months pregnant with twins instead of 5 1/2 months with one. Of course I asked about you to find out you were the same. Now tell me what magic have you been playing with?"

I said "None that would do this? I am just as baffled as you. I will be over after class and we will talk about what happened. Breakfast is about to start talk to you then." I broke the link. Breakfast was oatmeal and cinnamon bread it went down well.

I got up to go teach class when Grandmother said "You have things to do I will teach the class today."

I frowned "what do you mean I am strong enough to teach and do whatever after the morning. What is so important that I have to put off my job?" She nodded to the empty spot that was for Quin.

Grandmother said "Pull her up short or she will burn out before you have your baby. She does not have your luck so a mountain is coming strait at her. She is at the Mage Hall right now go talk to her. It would be good for you to stretch your wings anyways."

I shrugged "Ok I'll go. Tomorrow I will be teaching though." She nodded. I got up and got my bag and staff. Off I went towards the Mage Hall. She was right that stretching my wings felt good. It did not take that long to get to the Hall.

I walked in and Vickie came over smiling. "I heard you woke up from your little nap. How are you doing Boss?"

I said "I am getting better Vickie. How is things here? Where is Quin?"

She smiled "She took the office on the other side of you from me. Things here are good. Quin could slow down a little but then she is not you, she does not have the luck."

I grinned "Well I guess I should go have a word with her. We will be doing Mondays again. I hope you have kept your wings in shape?"

She grinned back "Yep Boss I fly for an 1/2 hour every day. Now go on quit stalling." I laughed as I walked to the stairs. It did not take long to get to the office. I tapped on the door next to mine. It opened and there stood Quin a little rumpled but she looked good.

I smiled "I hear you have been working real hard. Well I want you to take time to have dinner at the house during the week. I think it is in your best interest to take it a little easier I am getting close to giving birth so you will going to have do the heavy lifting for a while. I hear we have no big cases right now so take the time while you can. Remember Vickie and Zoe are your best people to draw from. Remember this is not the pits you don't have to do it all yourself. End of lecture. How are you doing?"

She shook her head "I am doing ok. You are right this is not the pits. In the pits I could tell what way to jump when there was danger. So much going on here. That I need to keep up on. I don't know how you do it."

I chuckled I have had almost a year and a half to learn the job you were given no time to get used to the job. Just take it easy and find your way. I will give you as much help as I can. So will those around you if you give them the chance. You got some great people to help you out. Vickie and the others here, Zoe and Ben out in the field and Me and Grandmother back at the house. Use everything you can to make this job yours. You look like you can use it so take a half day off and fly with me." So I waited while she got her things and we headed off to fly to the Crystal Hall.

When we got there we went to the Throne room. There was still the hole where it all happened. I could see the injury to the weave. I will have to redo the whole room to heal it. Angel came in looking very unhappy. She said "Lets go to my sitting room this room depresses me. Hay Sis, Quin."

I said "I can't leave it like this. Stand still for a moment." I took out my staff. I took a deep breath and connected to the weave healing the hole and flashing outward till the whole room shimmered and changed to be as I seen it in my dreams. The final piece was a giant shield with the Sword and the Rose crest upon it behind the Throne. I let the weave rest in its new form. I took another deep breath. I looked them and said "That's better. I hope it meets with Your Majesty's approval?" Angel looked around at the glittering columns and alabaster walls with its polished floors and deep vaulted ceiling and hanging lights. It truly came out really good.

She came over and hugged me "You rock Sis. This is beyond anything I have ever seen. You made it a true Throne Room. Now lets get down to our talk. The sitting room would be better for what we have to say." Quin was still looking around when we started out of the room. Angel said "Quin are you coming?" She turned and followed us to the sitting room. Angel had Betty get us some tea. We sat together and talked for the next hour with only coming up with one thing. We did not know how this happened but we were going with it. We walked back into the throne room and Angel was trying out her redesigned Throne When Jenny came in and said there was a diplomat from White Hall to see the Queen. Angel went Queen mode and I switched to Princess mode. A very lovely looking woman was led in and She curtsied very nicely to Angel.

She said "I am Telsha Winter Senior Princess to White Hall I have come to speak to the Queen of Sanctuary about the rescue of my little sister. I do not agree with my parents that it does not need to be discussed."

Angel spoke "I am Angelica Queen of Sanctuary and this is my sister Princess Ember of Sanctuary. We were both there when the Princesses were rescued. What do you wish to say about it?"

She looked at me "So you are the one. My sister said you led the party that got them out without killing anyone. She said you are also a teacher?"

Angel said "My sister is many things besides being Princess of Sanctuary and Crystalis, she is Grand Mage of Sanctuary, the Teacher of Advanced Magic at the Academy and The Mother of the Crystal Dragon Race as well as creating this Hall. As you can see my sister gets around."

I said "What is it you wish to know? Yes I led the team that went in. I am a very hands on person. As Grand Mage it is expected."

She said "I don't know how much you know about White Hall or Samtargo or Tomaroon but we are not big kingdoms. What we do have is a lot of Princesses. We are not taken very seriously. So we have Formed a sort of alliance. We would like to choose three Princesses for our ranks and have them come here to learn from you. Don't worry it wont be from the young ones. This will be financed by our group so it wont cost you anything but a little time."

I smiled "I am not sure what I could teach Princesses unless they are mages. My sister is the political one. I work with magic and teach magic and love magic. I only get involved when people use magic the wrong way."

She smiled "I have never had mage training but I do have some weather magic." I walked over and held my hand over her chest. Hmm a lot of unused magic potential. "What are you doing?"

Quin answered "She is checking your magical potential." I stepped away and thought for a few moments.

I said "You have the unused magic that could lead you to being a mage. You need to be taught the basics then you would be ready to learn what I can teach. If you wish I can arrange a teacher to show you the basics up to where you need to be. I think you should think before heading down that path. The Political and Magical worlds seldom meet. To truly get good at either you need to give it your all. To try and do both is a very hard road. I may be a Princess but I am a mage to my very core. That is why I leave the political world to my sister here."

Grandmother walked in at that point. She smiled and said "I see you have been busy again Ember. I like the redesign."

I said "Thank you Grandmother I think it went rather well. Do you think the crest is too big? I can make it a bit smaller without loosing the effect."

Grandmother looked at the shield and smiled "It looks fine to me I like the enchantment you worked into it. Shield spell worked into a shield how Ironic." I nodded. "Very nice."

Telsha with wide eyes said "The Archmage is your Grandmother?"

Grandmother said "Former Archmage I am retired now and you are?"

She said "I am Telsha Winter Senior Princess to White Hall. I met you once when I was younger. You came to White Hall to do something at our mage hall before it was shut down. It must have been 5 years ago now."

Grandmother sighed "I remember that trip I removed the archives from the hall. Could not let just anyone get there hands on those spells. I still don't know why your King didn't like mages. Seems he was trying to drive them out. Yes I remember you now. Is that man still King as I recall he was quite old."

Telsha said "He died nine months later. His son is King now. He does not promote mages but he does not hate them either. So White Hall has few Mages. I don't think we have a Grand Mage. I hope to change that but I am way down the line from gaining the throne. My 6 year old nephew would get it before me. Women are not seen as worthy."

Grandmother said "That is why the place has not grown in the last 20 years."

She said "I wonder what would happen if all the women got up and left for awhile."

I said "I happen to know of a castle nobodies using right now."

Grandmother and Angel said at once "Ember!"

I smiled "I was just saying. There is that castle that the princess was being held in. Nobody claimed it after the dragon attack. There was not that much in the way of damage every one tends to run away from 7 forty foot Dragons. I'm sure the place could be made livable in very little time." I was making a blank portal ring while I was talking. I put the trace that was still in my ring into the new one.

Grandmother looked at Angel and said "She is doing it again we can help her or get out of the way but this is happening. You know how your sister is when she gets moving. I think I'll join her this time."

Angel said "It would be a laugh to make those men see the light."

Telsha said "I could be ready in three days. We may not get ever woman but almost all."

I said "Do you know how to use a portal ring?" She nodded "This one will lead you to a field just to the north of the castle. I will meet you there Friday at midnight. Don't worry about it but I will have several dragons with me for protection. In case any one or more of the men come through and start trouble." Skya came flying in and landed on my shoulder. "Speaking of this is Skya. She will be helping me out on Friday in her larger size of course." Sie came out and looked at Skya and nodded her head.

Angel said "And this is Sie. She will be there too. helping out. Two Dragons should do it don't you think? Jenny looked up from where she was doing paperwork. Angel was looking at her.

Jenny said "Oh all right." She made a call and Mie came in. Jenny made a gesture and Mie went to me.

I said "Thank you Jenny for lending me Mie."

Jenny said "Like I could stop her if her Mother called. Your Welcome."

Telsha asked "What did she mean?"

Skya said "Ember, Mother of all Crystal Dragons." I smiled at her. Her talking was getting much better.

I said "It is a long story But I created the Crystal Dragon Race from my magic and a Dragon statue. So in a very real sense I am the Mother of their race. The original 7 live with the 7 who started Sanctuary. The Dragons are all my daughters. Now that the next generation has been born. They are my Granddaughters. So far I have 8 daughters and 6 Granddaughters. Till these two are born of course." I put my hand on my tummy. "Well if you are going to do this you should get back and start the ball rolling."

She said "I could do that with one link call, is there a mirror I could use." Jenny got up and showed her to the link room. While I was waiting both babies started kicking. That meant I was really stressing.

Telsha came out frowning. She said "It is done they are getting ready to move My Mother will lead them. She is getting tired of Fathers fooling around on her. She has asked that I stick with you till the move. I hope you don't mind my sticking around?"

I smiled "I don't but you should make use of your time. Grandmother how would you like to teach someone with good magic but no skills? At least for a few days."

Grandmother said "Sounds like fun, if she is willing to work? I cover a lot in a few days."

Telsha said "I would be honored to learn from one of the greats. I am used to working hard. I will do anything you ask."

Grandmother said "Good we will talk on the way back to the house.'

I smiled broadly "See you later Sis, I will see that Sie and Mie will be back at the weekend. See you later Jenny." They waved as Quin and I left for the house. We took to the sky and flew right home. It was almost time for Ben to get home. Sam was still out too. I was ok but not pushing it any more tonight. Then I went out and added the nursery and two more bedrooms and bathrooms. then I counted and added till I got to twenty. I changed the size of the living room. I added a game room and a second class room. and 5 more studies. I was still outside trying to make it look nice when Ben and Sam walked up.

Ben said "Adding more rooms may I ask what for?"

I said "We keep needing more so I decided to make an upper limit and add up to that then if I reach that I will say no to some of these people. Now I am just trying to make it look nice. So what do you think love?"

Ben just kissed me and went inside. Sam said "You know you never will say no to anyone that was needing a place to stay."

Grandmother and Telsha walked up. Grandmother said "I need three rooms do we need to add more?" I shook my head "Good I need another class room do you need to add that?" I shook my head again. "Thinking ahead again good. We are thinking of forming a princess betterment group. Just a working title. To give the younger Princesses a chance at something more."

I said "As long as you still cover my classes as promised I have no problem with it but no more than 3 at a time. That would put us near our limit of 17 with 3 spares. Right now we are sitting at 14 not counting the spares. That leaves 3 spots open. You can ask 3 princesses to be a part of what you are starting as long as it is not Tamara! That kid drives me up the wall. I would prefer not any who are going to school here. Other than that I will leave it up to you. Oh one more thing you get to tell Ben."

Grandmother "Ok I'll tell him but why don't you want to?"

I shrugged "He thinks I am crazy for taking in as many as I have already. If I try to take in more he will have me committed. To put in more rooms I would need to redesign the whole house and make it a 3 story house. It would just be easier to start a new house and connect them. But then I will need more maids again. I think this whole thing is starting to get out of hand." We went in side and found we had a problem there sat the Headmaster. I looked at Grandmother and continued to walk on by him and leave him to her. I went up stairs and got cleaned up and checked over the nursery. When I went down stairs he was still there and Grandmother was looking at me.

I said "What is the problem now? Given the fact there is no more room here I hope your not asking that. I am too close to giving birth to take on any more work so what is it?"

She said "We need to find a new teacher for the beginners class. Darla has quit and left sanctuary. There was a tapping at the front door I opened it and it was misty carrying a note.

Dear Ember,

I have to leave and wont be coming back. I can't look after Misty any more. I can't explain and wont try. I am sorry. Don't look for me.

Darla

I said "This is a problem I can fix at least as a temp teacher. I will ask Vanessa to take over the class for now till we find a replacement. This is a bad time for this to happen. I will grant her wish and will not look for her. I guess it was her time to move on. I will make the call." I walked over to the wall mirror and called Vanessa and gave her the post. She said she would do it then we closed the link. "Taken care of I am going to go lie down till dinner. I turned and walked back up stairs. All the dragons followed. I laid down and was asleep at once. Ben was calling my name and so I woke up. I was being cuddled by 4 Dragons. I got up and washed my face and went down for dinner. After dinner I went into my study and worked through the GED test. I was ready to take the test. So I arranged to take the test on Monday. Ben knocked I said "enter"

Ben walked in "Time for bed my love. You Have class tomorrow you know." He leaned down and kissed me. I looked into his eyes and knew Grandmother had spoken to him.

I said "What do you think of what Grandmother is doing?"

His smile deepened "I feel your fingerprints all over it. I know you had something to do with it. I am not going to say no but I am going to say is it wise?"

I kissed him again "Wise maybe not but it is going to happen. Oh I am going to be gone Friday night till Sunday maybe. Please don't worry I will have 4 dragons to keep me safe. I will be back as soon as everything is settled."

He said "Grandmother told me of this too. I wont stop you but I do ask you take two combat mages with you. I would go myself but I know this is a woman thing. How is your studying going?"

I smiled "I am ready to take the test on Monday. I will pass the test and be done with school for awhile. At least as a student. Then I will have my job after the summer. Half days so I can take care of Belle and John. I still cant believe I am having twins. But your right it is time for bed." So we headed up hand in hand.

In the morning I got ready and headed down to start the day. I looked around the table and just smiled at the banter and fun flowing along with the food. It just made me feel good.

Class went well. I taught about wind magic and how it could enhance other spells. After lunch I worked with the Dragons. I helped them work in formation and I flew with them. That evening I Talked to Telsha about the different paths a Mage could take. It was a fine easy night.

The next few days went about the same. On Friday I had my stuff ready and headed with Grandmother and Telsha to the mirror room. I opened the portal and we walked to the edge of the castle looking for lights. I sent Skya and Misty on a over flight to be sure. I kept Sie and Mie in reserve. When The dragons returned Skya reported no lights, smoke or heat. That said the place was pretty much empty. The two combat mages we took along were a bit unsettled. They had never worked with the Dragons before. Right on time we opened a portal to White Hall and 214 women came through. Telsha's Mother was introduced as Duchess Mirkie The kings sister.

I was referred to as Princess Ember the Dragon Mother. Considering I had 4 - 40 foot dragons standing at my back no one argued it. Grandmother was not introduced for some reason.

I said to the Duchess "The castle is right over there as far as we can tell it is empty. It is all yours for as long as you need it. My Dragons and I will stay around till Sunday to watch over you. We had shut down the portal but it opened again an a troop o f 15 troops and 3 knights can through. Skya and Misty blocked there way forward. That gave them pause. I looked at the Duchess "We will make a new mirror." I walked forward. just as Mie and Sie took up flanking positions. The knights were trying to decide what to do and the troops were really edgy. I spoke real loud. "Please lay down your weapons." They all looked at me. I snapped my fingers the mirror disappeared under a shot of flame from Skya. A lot of weapons hit the ground. After the Dragons encircled them all but the knights had dropped their weapons and had put their hands up. I looked the lead night "You have a choice to make. You can surrender or you can die! I will give you a few moments. Skya leaned down her head and I put my hand on her cheek.

The Duchess came forward with two others. She said "Princess these are the wives of the lesser knights They would like to say something to them."

I said "Very well, I will allow it."

The Two women Curtsied to me then the first said to the knight "Roger I don't want to have anything more to do with you. You are abusive and rude. You played around on me more times than years we have been married. Even after all you have put me trough I don't want to see you killed. So please lay down your weapons."

The second woman said "Dan I also don't want anything to do with you after this. You may claim to be a knight but you are just a thug. Lay down your weapons and then just go away."

They both said to me "Thank you Princess." Then walked towards the castle.

The duchess said "Henry time to think of more than yourself. I don't care if you die but don't take anyone down with you." She turned to me "Thank you princess for letting us say goodbye." She curtsied then withdrew.

I turned to the knights "Well are you going to lay down your weapons or do I tell Skya to finish you off. Slowly the two lesser knights put down there weapons and backed up till they were with the troops. That left Henry to deal with. He raised his shield and slowly drew his sword. Skya raised her head and took a breath ready to fry the knight. I turned away "Have it your way, fool!" They knight rushed at Skya and died in his tracks. I turned back. "All weapons and armor in a big pile there now and I do mean all!" they were soon all down to their shorts. I created a new mirror and had the Duchess open a portal to White Hall. I watched as the men marched through the portal. I smiled as the portal closed. I had the pile of weapons and armor offered to the ladies of the castle but they chose to have them melted down on the spot. One blast of Dragon fire and they were gone. The Duchess asked me to destroy the mirror so the men could not come after them when I left. I said "I will shatter the mirror after I use it to go home." It was a busy two days trying to get the castle livable. Finally at noon on Sunday I stood with the Duchess talking before I left.

The Duchess said "Please look after my Daughter. She is headstrong and meant for better things. I am hoping she will see that she can be so much more than she is now."

I said "Grandmother has taken a liking to her and will teach her right. I will keep a eye on her and we will see where her road leads. I will drop in from time to time when I can to see how you Ladies are coming. Maybe when you start to trade with other lands you will find some good men. Their out there I found one married him of course. I hope you find what the Goddess has set for you. Good bye. The others passed through the portal. I was the last one to pass through and I sent a shatter spell back so they will be safe for awhile.

Back home things were running well. I was looking forward to the test tomorrow. Ben was glad I was home safe. Angel and Jenny were at the house when I got back so they got their Dragons back. I know Misty missed Darla she was not as playful as she used to be. I will have to find a good person for her to stay with. The kittens were being kittens and getting into everything. Momma cat Was happy to have a home. The girls took turns taking care of the cats. Strangely enough the baby dragons got along with the kittens real well. Telsha was intrigued by Misty. The shy Dragon soon warmed up to Telsha and would sit by her when she sat in the living room. I decided to let them decide if they will stay together.

After dinner I went into my study to do some last moment prep for the test. Momma cat followed me in and curled up in a corner to rest up before dealing with the kittens once more. I could understand that. I studied and the cat slept for about two hours. Then I stretched and the cat looked up at me. "One of these days we are going to have to give you a name besides Momma Cat. I am sure the girls have named the Kittens already." Momma Cat gave me this look like of course. "Well as to your name, do you have one you prefer?" The cat gave me a indifferent stare. "Ok I will think about it and let you know later." I headed for the door and the cat slipped out before me. I went looking for Ben, it was cuddle time.

To be continued

As always all life giving Comments Welcome and Loved!

up
186 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

For someone who prefers to

jennifer breanna's picture

For someone who prefers to stay out of politics, Amber certainly causes some major political and social changes in the Kingdoms that come into contact with Sanctuary. Hehe every time I say that word it makes me think of a hunchback swinging around Notre Dame...Maybe Amber should get some crystal bells and have dragons ring them when someone else moves into her house....

Ember is busy as always

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Ember is busy as always. Once one thing is at least semi-settled another pops up. Its nice she has helped create a new kingdom, I hope it works out well for them. I do wonder about Darla. Her departure was rather abrupt. As always Gypsy, you keep us on edge waiting for what comes next! *smacks the kudo button*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Very nice!

Another beautifully imaginative, wonderfully executed chapter.

nomad

Looks like Ember actually had

Looks like Ember actually had, at least for her; a nice day and welcome respite from the day to day grunge she endures of a single hair, on the end of talent supposedly by a pre-trial.

New moniker

Its about time that Ember got her another title - The One Chance Princess. While I don't think it has been said directly it seems Ember gives pretty much everyone one chance to correct their course in life, if they do something stupid after that its on their heads. And people should learn its not a good idea to screw with Ember, her plans, or her family. I wonder how many more idiots believe they can take down Ember as she is "just" a young girl. Hmmm, maybe they can have images made of all the fools she has dealt with and hang them up somewhere, along with the date, time, and cause of death. Not really Ember's usual style, but it causes a few to rethink their plans it would be worth it.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Well, If the King of White Hall...

...didn't have anything against mages before, he probably does now. (We don't know how he felt about dragons (g).) If his sister's daughter was senior princess, either the king isn't married or he and his wife -- who wasn't part of the exodus -- don't have any female children.

The original plan seemed to be a strike of sorts, followed by negotiations and the women returning to White Hall on a more equal footing. But from what Ember was saying at the end, she seems to be assuming that they'll be starting their own realm instead and importing the combat mages, soldiers, technicians and presumably new husbands from elsewhere to make it work.

We certainly don't know how many of the women there would want to do that, especially the nobles -- even in a dead-end kingdom like White Hall, their titles and estates would be worth more than what they'll be starting over with now. Also, given the prevailing attitudes they've been facing, few of the noblewomen would have had experience running anything larger than their own households, and the most capable folks to head operations now may well be the working-class types who lack titles. That may not go over well.

(With so many women departing White Hall, one wonders how many of the noblemen's mistresses made the trip along with the wives, and how that'll play out.)

Accordingly, I think the men of White Hall are likely to wait the women out on the assumption that they won't be able to take care of themselves and will be begging to return before long. If it came to a vote among the women, I could actually see that happening -- at least after some minor face-saving concession by the males. But secret ballots aren't the usual way things happen here on the Other Side.

In other news, Darla has something mysterious going on. I hope it's not some form of blackmail that's going to force her to work for some adversary, or something engineered by the entities that impregnated Angel and Ember in fear that Darla could interfere. (I wonder if Misty knows, since she seems to be part of the issue.)

Eric