Wings Apart Chapter 03

Printer-friendly version


Wings Apart

Chapter 03

Chapel Wind


20051117_329_AnimeAngel-HeadBlank222211111111.jpg

Inside Seeker Headquarters A meeting is being held.

Head Seeker "We have to find the winged kids before they can find the truth! The Pact is in danger. Bring me those kids."

Seer "I have given your men all the information I have and there has been sightings. We have found and caught 10 winged kids so far. Just the ones that left the territory have yet to be caught. There seems to be two in that group.

Head Seeker "Those must be the ones. Get Them you fool!"

Seer "Master we have lost 15 seekers and a number of flunkies chasing those two. My sight gets fuzzy beyond our borders I can only give hints for the seekers to look for. Of late there has been none. Maybe the danger has passed.

Head Seeker "Maybe but those two are going to pay for all my seekers that have been lost! Send out the Dogs I want their heads!

Seer "Yes Master. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the forest a very tired Angelica and Lana stand by the Stone circle.

Lana said "I do feel different than before we crossed this circle but I can't say how. All I do know is my magic is coming to me very almost eagerly now."

I smiled "I know what you mean it is like the floodgates have been opened and magic is free to flow. Now we just need to control it."

Silent Cat came striding up to them "You both have done well today. You have the magic. We will work on control and uses tomorrow. By the end of the week you will be ready to meet and beat any comers. Angelica you have the focus you need to work on not overdoing things. Hit with only enough magic to do the job. That and learn the spells. Lana you need to be confident any stand up to challenges. You both will take your level 5 test at the end of the week be ready. You are done for the day. Rest well you two.

On the other side of the clearing Linda and Julie wait.

Linda shook her head "I can't get it out of my mind! The Dream was so real I was padding through the forest but I wasn't me but a Big Cat, a Puma. I was so at home, It was my forest. I lived to hunt there and to protect those that traveled in my forest. I have had dreams like this every night since the Battle of the circle."

Julie smiled she liked the brash young woman she said "Maybe that is your other self. Like Josh became Angelica maybe you will when needed become the Puma of your dreams." She walked over "Maybe you already have. I was awake late last night an I caught sight of a puma wandering near the edge of the clearing. I did not think to check if you were in your tent. Silent Cat said we were safe if we camped near the circle. The puma was on the other side of the circle."

Linda looked out into the gathering evening and wondered. "Maybe my wish from the circle did come true after all? That would be Great. I felt so powerful in the dream."

Silent Cat came striding up "How are you two getting along? You look worried Linda what is wrong?

Linda said "I am a little worried seem the Dreams I have been having are coming true. I may be a Puma at night roaming the forest."

Cat looked at her "There is one way to find out. come with me." she turned and strode to the edge of the circle and Linda followed. "Touch the circle and ask the Great Mother to show you the truth." Silent Cat already knew the truth, she could smell it on her.

Linda said "I guess I do need to know." She knelt at the edge and laid her hands upon the stone. "Great Mother I humbly ask you to show me the truth of who I am." a mist gathered around her and things felt so strange Shifting some how. When the mist cleared a very large Golden Puma was where Linda had been. The Puma looked around then tried to look at herself. It was true Linda's other self was a large Golden Puma. Silent Cat smiled now if she can learn to control it. The mist appeared again and when it cleared Linda was back sitting on the ground. She said "I can't believe it. It's true my other self is a Puma. I have always loved cats now I know why. I am so happy I know myself at last."

Silent Cat said "It is a start. In time you wont need to dream or use the circle to change. You will also learn cat magic. A hunters magic. Welcome to the Pride Sister!" With that Silent Cat Shifted into a big Black Panther. walk up and brushed up to Linda in the Welcome of cats. In a moment there were two cats there and The Puma and The Panther went to hunt together bonding their friendship. Julie watched them go and wondered who her other self was? She looked at the circle then turned away. Not tonight, she needed to think on this. She went to her tent and got out the things for dinner. It was her turn to cook. She might not know who her other self was but this self was a Mom.

Angelica and Lana walked up to the tents to see Julie moving around making dinner. There was no sign of Linda but she mostly only showed up when the food was ready. Lana Said "Hi Mom, how was your day?" Both girls smiling.

Julie looked up "Not bad, oh by the way Angelica your sister is a cat.

Angelica was confused "What do you mean by that? I know she can be a little catty at times but that's no reason to call her a cat. I should tell her that you said that."

Julie smiled "What I meant was that her other self is a cat, a Golden Puma to be exact. She is very happy about it. She is out hunting with Silent Cat who is a Black Panther. Wash up dinner is almost ready."

Angelica said the only thing she could think of "Oh, that's what you meant. I am happy she found her other self." Then she went to wash up. She was still a little stunned. I wonder who Julies other self is?

After dinner they sat around talking about their days and generally relaxing. When up walked Helena and Joann looking kind of grim. Helena said "Bad news through the grapevine I heard the Seekers are getting serious they have let loose the Pack. They are the enforcers of the Seekers. They are real bad news. Where is Linda she should hear this to?"

Just then a very load purr came from the forest and a large Golden Puma came up to Angelica and laid down and put her head in Angelica's lap. Julie smiled and said "I think she did. I am glad you are back from your hunt Linda." Helena's eye brow went up in question. A mist covered the Puma for a moment and then cleared and there was Linda where the Puma had been.

Linda yawned and said the hunt went well no baddies in the area. Yes, I did hear what you said Helena and my Puma side is ready for a fight. But right now I could use a nap."

Helena said I would like to hear how that happened but first The Pack move slow but never have they failed t do what they were sent to do. There are six of them and they always fight together. They also fight dirty. No one know where they come from but they are bad news! Now will someone tell me what happened to turn Linda into a Cat?"
So Julie and Linda filled the rest in on what has been happening.

Julie said "All seem to start at the circle. We each went across the circle and were changed some how. I have not tried to find out how I was changed but then I might not want to know. I do feel changed though. What brings you out here Mother I thought you never leave the Ranch these days?"

Joann said "Well I thought you should know Terrance is back in town. He knows you are around and wants to see you."

Julie said "That slim lost that right when he left me. I was three months pregnant and he takes off for a surfing vacation with all our money. The jerk did not even know how to surf. I have had to raise Lana by myself ever since. No letters, no cards, no calls, no bloody anything. No, Mother I will not see him. Did he even ask about Lana?"

Joann shook her head "I told him you would say this. I don't blame you. But I did say I would at least pass on that he is here. Now my job is done and I can go back to worrying about you and Lana."

Lana smiled "Don't worry Grandmother I am stronger than ever and with my love at my side nothing can stand in our way! You will be at the wedding wont you? It will just be a small one right over there on the stone circle on the next full moon." Everyone turned to Lana and babbled all kinds of questions and comments that were answered all in turn. It was a strange evening.

In the morning It was Angelica's turn to cook. It was one skill she did not have. The oatmeal had hard lumps in it and nobody went back for seconds. She and Lana went off to train and Linda went off to try and change with out the circle. Helena and Joann headed back to the Ranch. That left Julie to clean up.

After cleaning up Julie went to the circle and knelt down at the edge. She had made up her mind she need to know how she had changed. She placed her ands on the circle and asked "Great Mother will you show me my other self?" Then she was somewhere else and she was not alone. A pretty woman was there.

The woman spoke "You wish to know your other self? Why do you wish this?"

Julie said "My Daughter and her friends are in danger! I need to know how I can help them. I was changed when I crossed the circle and I don't know how. Please will you tell me? I need to protect them!"

The woman spoke "You have in you what you need to protect them. For only the Strength and Love of a Mother can do what is needed. Your other self is strong in magic but only a different type of magic. Your other self is a Healer. When it is needed you will know how to change. Just be at ease you are doing what is needed for now." the woman smiled and Julie was back kneeling at the edge of the circle. She got up and went to do some training of her own.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the town of Far Away

Terrence Walker was getting drunk. He had tried to stay away from the bottle but it had him again. Julie would not see him. His Daughter would not see him. What did he have to live for? The Job that is what! He put down the glass and smiled. This was a job he was good at. When he was not drunk. He through a few bucks on the bar and got up ready to follow the where this job would take him. The job was to find a pair of kids, kids with wings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angelica was focusing with all her will to tip an egg down a ramp without breaking it. This was to teach her to be subtle in her use of magic. So far she had broke three eggs. it was not a easy task. She had to focus. Lana blew in her ear. She broke the egg.

Lana said "Lunch time. Oops did I disturb you? You can try again after lunch." Angelica pouted all the way through lunch. The two tried to keep things light and Silent Cat did not mind. It was nice to be around a young couple in love. Reminded her of when she was young.

Silent Cat said "It is time we started combat drills. Using spells in combat is much harder than when you have the time. I will tech you a freeze spell then you will try to freeze me. I will be moving so it will not be easy. I will let you have three shots then I will shoot back so you better hit me first. remember being frozen by spell is not fun so hit me first.

3 hours later I was trying to get the feeling back into my legs. I had not hit her once she had hit me 4 times. Lana did worse she was hit 6 times once by her own spell. She was running trying to cast and fell into the spell. Except for the time we spent frozen it was a learning time. When we were frozen just plain sucked. An hour of magic storing then a hour of cool down and we were done for the day. I was quite tired and I was sure Lana was too so we took a short nap before I tried to make dinner. I crawled out of the tent and looked around. It was dark and only Julie was up sitting by the fire. I sniffed, I smelled stew. I followed my nose to the pot sitting on the edge of the fire keeping warm. I looked at the pot. Then looked at Julie.

Julie said "Go ahead I saved some for you and Lana. You two were just too cute all cuddled together to wake so I went ahead and made dinner." Lana came out of the tent sniffing when I lifted the lid to the pot.

I filled a bowl for both of us and said "Thank you today was a extra hard day of training."

Julie just smiled and nodded "You two get to clean up." She pointed to a pile of dishes. Oh well it was a good stew.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the outskirts of Far Away

Terrence had been following leads all day. all seem to clam up when he mentions kids with wings. All he was able to find out was something happened the last full moon at the old stone circle in the hills. When pushed the people clam up. I guess after some sleep I'll check out the circle. Hmm maybe a little company for the night would cheer me up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biter leader of the Pack sat back on bed in the motel while he thought of the newest Job to come from the Head. Find and Kill two kids with wings. Kids huh Girls huh well maybe he will let the Pack have some fun before he kills them. The Head did not say not to. Hmmm some fun. The snich said Far Away is where to start. They will be there tomorrow. Then the Fun begins!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The morning was Bright and the breakfast good. (It was Lana's turn to cook) Silent Cat was sitting with them telling of some stranger asking around about two kids with wings. That got everyone listening. She said "I think he is coming up to check out the circle today. His name as I heard it is Walker, Terrence Walker." She stopped when Julie went white. "Are you ok Julie?"

Julie said weakly "Did you say Terrence Walker?" When Cat nodded. "What is that slime ball doing now? I'll kill him. I'll just Kill him! I said I did not want to see him!"

While Julie stormed Lana said "That is my father's name. Looks like we are going to meet after all. I think I will meet him without the wings though." She stood and withdrew her wings. "That feels weird. Love will you meet my father with me?" I stood and withdrew my wings and took her hand.

I said "Will you watch over us Silent Cat and freeze him if he does anything stupid?"

Julie said "I have calmed down and will meet him with you two. I can handle this. We will wait by the stone circle. Linda Shifted and so did Cat. We headed out to face this crisis.

We did not have to wait long. He showed up a half hour later. He looked like your classic bad boy got old. He was maybe 6 foot and 220lbs with slightly balding blonde hair and red rimmed green eyes. In a physical fight he would win but I don't plan to fight that way. I caught sight of Linda waiting in the trees. I was sure Silent Cat was on the other side but I had not seen her. We were set when he walked up to us He spotted Julie right away. Then he looked over the two of us and decided that he looked the most Like Lana. When he moved I caught sight of a revolver in his jacket. Nasty things guns I did not like them at all.

When he was 10feet away Julie said "That's far enough. We can talk from here. I think you figured that this is your daughter. Her name is Lana. Next to her is her fiancé. Her name is Angelica. This is the first and the last time you will see them and me. so make your questions count."

He said "Forceful as always huh Juliet? Well I was not expecting this give me a moment." I could see his eyes scanning the trees. He was thinking of doing something stupid! I readied the freeze spell. The revolver was halfway out when I cast Dead center He stopped dead. I let go of Lana's hand and walked over to him and relieved him of the revolver. I held it out and Linda came out an took it away. I checked him for a backup and found one and three knives.

I kept the knives and held out the gun and Linda came for that one too. I returned to Lana's side and took her hand again. I knew the freeze spell when cast by me doesn't last long so we waited. Soon he finished his move with a empty hand. He said "So another Witch in the family huh. Nice trick by the way. Your fast. But I learned a little something over the years." He moved his hands in a fire arrow spell and it was pointed right at me. I smiled as the spell splattered on my shield becoming harmless. Just then Linda hit him in the legs and Silent Cat hit him high. The combo worked well he hit the ground winded and hurting. As I know it is very hard to cast when you are in great pain. I hit him with a spell I didn't know I knew a forget spell. He forgot The last twenty years. While he was out from the spell I hit him with another spell. A teleport spell He disappeared and I fainted. When I woke I looked up into my loves eyes and smiled.

I said "I think I overdid it a bit. I got to remember to not do two high level spells in a row without bracing myself first. The backlash is a pain.

Silent cat looked at me. She was in her human form. "What was the second spell, I know the first but not the second?"

I slowly sat up "Teleport. I sent him as far as I could away. California I think."

Linda said "Wont he try to come back for revenge?"

I said "That was the point of the first spell. A Forget spell he wont remember the last twenty years. I think twenty it might be more." Julie and Lana looked at each other and laughed. It was a good moment. "Can I get up now I used all my energy I need a power bar." That got more laughter. Cat helped me up.

She said quietly "We need to talk about this wild magic of yours! It is dangerous to use till we find out where it comes from."

I sighed "I think I know but it sounds crazy. I got this book of magic for beginners from a very old book shop. I read and read the stories in the book and I think they imprinted spells into me. Every time I come to need a spell that was in the book the story flits through my mind and there is the spell. I remember every spell I have used from the book but not the ones I have not used yet. Sounds crazy don't it?"

Silent Cat thought for a moment "Not if the book is a Grimmore a book of magic that has a sort of life of it's own. If it is one of those and has accepted you as its Mistress then it makes perfect sense. All we have to do is look at the book now." She smiled "Call for the Book."

I shrugged I put what's left of my magic in to the words "Come to me Book!" A moment then the book was in my hands.

She smiled "Open the book then ask to see the forget spell." I opened the book and did as she asked. The pages of the book turned themselves till I was at the forget spell and there it was not the story but the spell. This was far out. I asked for the teleport spell and the pages turned by themselves and there was the spell. I thought for a moment and asked for a Ice spell The pages turned and there was a story about an ice storm. So if I haven't used the spell yet it stays in story form. This was useful. Cat looked at me and said "Well did it work? Are the spells there?" I smiled and explained what I found out about the book. She smiled "Well you are sort of a wild mage just a educated one. I finally got my power bar.

I spent time till lunch reading the book. It was just after lunch when a gal came looking for Silent Cat. She was very upset. Seem a group of six bikers were tearing up Far away asking questions then breaking things and people if they did not get the answers they want. Silent Cat said "The Dogs are here." Now the question was do we wait for them to come to us or do we go to them either way the Battle was on! Why was everyone looking at me? I am not the leader here I'm just a kid? Now that I was Paying attention my wings were telling me the choice was made.

I looked at the others "Get ready they are at the bottom of the hill and coming up!" I let my wings out and my magic tripled. Lana fallowed suit. We will meet them in the trees on the other side of the circle. Trap and take out as we can don't fight alone pair up. So the forest battle began.

As soon as we got to the clearing I took to the air and Lana followed. I went up high as my enhanced sight would let me go and scanned for the Pack. they were not being subtle so found them easy I cast the Ice Storm on that part of the forest Then as they were trying to use their bikes to come up the hill I hit them with lightning Storm. Two direct hits took out one. They abandoned the bikes. The two storms kept them moving slow. A rifle shot went past me but a lightning bolt to the barrel stopped that one. Two down. Lana was taking pot shots with freeze spell but at this range it would be a miracle if she hit. Well such things do happen because I seen her hit one and the lightning got him, three down. then Cat and Linda used their combo on one guy vanishing into the woods before the other two could get a shot off. one in desperation or just plain anger shot at Lana and hit her wing and she went spiraling down. I peppered the spot the shot cam from with lightning and followed Lana down. we got down without further shots. Julie was at the point we landed. Lana was crying. That made me see red and the storms increased in strength. Julie Said I am a healer I will help her you go get those Dogs!

I took a baring from my wings and Said they made it to the clearing around the circle. I will fight them there. Take care of my love there are two left. the rest are out of the battle. Still be careful." I took off using the winds of the storm to pull me up. I landed by the circle two rather battered Dogs were in front of me. They held their hands close to their guns. it was like a old fashion shoot out. except I was using lightning! There was a few heartbeats that nobody moved then in a flash it was over. The two Dogs lay on the grass and I was still standing. I did find out one thing my shield wont stop a .357 magnum completely. I had a nice hole in my shoulder. I hurt like heck but I will live. Then Linda was there as I was about to go to my knees. She was back in human form.

She said "I got you little sister. Lean on me." She looked at Cat "We need a healer fast!"

Then Julie was there. She said "Lay her on the circle. I am a healer I will help her." I was not sure what happened after that. I went into the darkness for awhile. I was drained beyond what I could take. The darkness took me.

I was floating in nothingness. I knew I should not be here I had things to do. But here I was floating. Then I heard a voice "Come back to us. You are still needed. We love you come back." Then I felt a gentle pull and could feel pain. that way led to life and to pain. But also Love, Lana's face came to me. I knew I had to go back. I had to marry her. I had to be with her. I started to struggle to go back! To be with my love! Then it was like bursting out of a dream! I sat up covered with blood and sweat! I was back, I was alive and I was in a great amount of pain. I held onto that pain because it held me here! Here where my love is! I was softly pushed back down and found my head in Lana's lap. I looked up at her and smiled. I was back.

The next week was spent recovering from the wounds we got in the forest battle. It seemed almost no one was spared from the battles scares. Some of the Dogs survived the battle 4 did not. The ones who did live had their memories taken and they were sent away. I was not up to the forget spell but Silent Cat was. I copied it for her and she removed their memories. Things were Quiet for awhile so we recovered. Lana and I talked about what kind of wedding we wanted and we decided it didn't matter as long as we were wed. So we asked the others what they thought. The debate went on fore days.

The wound even though closed and healing affected my wing and I was not able to pull it in or fly for a week and then only a short flight. after that my moods improved. Lana's wounded wing was not as bad as mine but she still could not fly or pull it in. we were in the same boat. Linda took a graze on her thigh and Cat had a large bruise on her side. Julie seem to be the only one to take a wound in the battle. She I found out had the hardest part she had to pick up the pieces while hurting for everyone who was hurting. It seemed I came the closest to death and not from my wound but from pushing too far with my magic. I ran out of magic and drained my life force to the very edge. So I was restricted from using magic for a week. I took the time to reread my magic book several times.

To be continued

As always All life giving comments welcome and loved!

up
179 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Question

Does Julie change forms when she becomes her other self? Everyone else seems to. Brilliant as usual.

nomad

intense

Alecia Snowfall's picture

wow...first combat. lots of stuff going on though......

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Draining her life force, oh

Draining her life force, oh my, that definitely could be critical factor to remember in all future combat issues or any other time she has to use lots of magic to overcome others who are not nice people.