Wings Apart Chapter 07

Printer-friendly version


Wings Apart

Chapter 7

Winds of the Heart


20051117_329_AnimeAngel-HeadBlank222211111111.jpg

After we left The Ranch I started to want to be home with my family. I was getting tired of the constant traveling. I would not mind if it was work that did not threaten my life so much. I decided to talk to the Great mother about this. When we got home I went to the study to have a safe place to go talk to the Great Mother. I sat in a chair and closed my eyes and Went.

I opened my eyes in other where. The Great Mother was there. I was not sure how to bring up the subject. She said "You are tired. I have over used you. You are thinking of quitting. I can't blame you. So I have decided to call someone else. No they wont be part of your family. I have been watching a girl. She has potential. I knew the day you would want to go back to your family would come. For now I will allow you to retire. Though if the world needs a person such as your self I reserve the right to call upon you again. I have fixed a place for you and here is your new Identity papers." She handed me a big envelope. There is a way you can still serve. I have prepared a place like the Ranch. That needs someone to run it. I would like you to be that person. Here is all the information about it." She handed me another big envelope. Go back talk it over with Lana and Grace. We will talk later. Go Back!"

I opened my eyes and sighed. Well that was it I was retired. Time to spend with my family without ducking Seekers all the time. I got up and walked into a fight between my mother and my daughter. I held up my hands as the shouting got real high. I said "This can wait. I have a announcement." Once everyone was there and looking at me I said I have been thinking and talking to the Great Mother. It is been decided it is time for me to retire. No grace that does not mean you step into my job. I will be doing other work for the Great Mother. There are many with magic that were harmed by the war. We will run a home like the Ranch. It will be a place that those with magic can come and study and get a handle on what they can do. It is all set up if we want it. The main thing is I will be home not traipsing all over the place. So what does everyone think?" The answer was a party. I did pull Grace and Lana into the den for some serious talking the next day.

We ended up talking for 4 hours. It seem they liked the Idea but were worried the dregs of the Seekers flunkeys would cause trouble for us. I decided to let the Great Mother answer that concern. I had them hold on and I went.

I opened my eye's and I was in a garden. This was different. I smiled at the dress the Great Mother was wearing. We walked over and I seen she was not alone. The Great Mother looked up. She said "Nice of you to visit. I see you brought the family. That is nice. Angelica I would like you to meet Lynette. Lynette I would like you to meet Angelica, Lana and Grace. Angelica is my High Priestess. If you need help with your new duties you can ask her for advice. These three have been through a lot in this war. Some call Angelica the Avenging Angel."

Lynette said "I have heard whispers of such a person I never thought I would meet her. Are these your helpers?"

I shook my head "Lana is my wife and love of my life. Grace is my Daughter and my pride. Together we can face anything even retirement. I just came to give my decision to the Great Mother."

The Great Mother smiled "I know your answer but speak it if you must. This was headed before the war began even if you did not know it. I'll have two cars waiting for you at the Ranch. I think it is time for Silent Cat to go back to her people. The rest may stay of go as they will."

I smiled "You are right, I am going to retire. I just needed these two to believe that you will let me. I think they know now, so I will bid you a fond farewell for now. We have a lot of things to do."

She and Lynette smiled and waved. I took Lana's hand and Graces hand. When Grace said something that surprised me. She said "Good bye Great Grand Mother I love you."

The Great Mother said "Good bye dear Grace, my Great Grand Daughter. We will see each other from time to time. You are heading somewhere as well. Though It is too soon for you to know where. Now it is time for you all to Go Back!"

We were back. I said "look that was a risky thing you did you know Grace? I know she is easy going sometimes but What you called her. I guess it was nice but could have been taken wrong."

Grace just smiled at me. I shook my head. Lana just burst out laughing. We walked into the main part of the house and everyone was there talking. Cat was saying "I visited my people while we were at the Ranch they do not like the new Shaman. I need to return to them. I have done what I was here for. I trained Grace in the ways of the Cat. Now I must go back that is for sure."

I spoke up "The Great Mother agrees. It is time for everyone here to decide if they wish to stay on with us as we move to the new place or go your own way. This is a crossroads for us. Cat your road leads back to your people. The rest must decide on their own. Grace, Lana and myself will be going to the new house day after tomorrow. Please let us know by tomorrow where you plan to go." I finished speaking and walked towards the kitchen to get a drink. Lyn was there. I looked at her "You can come with us or go on your way it is your choice." After a second she took my arm and pointed at herself then at me then put her hands together. The meaning was clear. "We will be glad to have you at the new house. Have your things packed by the end of tomorrow." Well that was 1. I got my drink and went to check over my things and pack.

It was surprising how much stuff I got seeing I was moving around so much. I went through it all and packed what I didn't need right away. I decided to go out early tomorrow and get some pack horses for the trip to the ranch. By the look of Grace's and Lana's stuff I better make it 5 of them. I do need to limit what we take so the horses are not overloaded. I did remind them we are going back to the modern world. So much of what they had was not going.

Diner was a quiet one. Everyone was thinking about their lives and where to go from here. After dinner Stacy came up to me "May I talk to you?"

I smiled I had expected this. "Of course sit down and tell me what is on your mind."

She tried to smile "I have been thinking I have no where else to go. Grace and I are best friends now. So I would like to go with you to the new house. If you have a problem with my male side I will stay like this. I kind of like being a girl anyways."

I looked her up and down. "You don't have to be stressed, you can come. We will talk about the boy girl thing later. Be ready Tomorrow. I need Terry to help me with getting the pack horses in the morning. For now you better pack." That's 2.

I went to bed early because I was leaving early to get the pack horses. Lana puttered a bit then joined me for the night. I dreamed of light and sound that had me dancing.

In the morning I was happy. I knew I was on the right path. I got ready and headed down for a bit of breakfast. Terry was waiting for me in the kitchen. After a quick bite to eat we headed out to find some horses. It took most of the morning but we had found three more riding and five pack horses. It should do. We might have to double up but then that's fine. The ride to the Ranch will be short. When we got back my Mother and Julie came to see me together. Julie said "I think we June and I would like to stay with you kids for a wile. Just till you are settled then we are going to find our own place together. It would be a way for all of us to heal from the war." That's 3 and 4.

I smiled "That will be fine. All that's left is Linda." I went looking for her. I found her out front looking at the people going by. "Hi sis, you are the last one to choose. I don't want to put any pressure on you. I just need to know what way you are leaning."

She said "I will go with you. I don't know how long I will stay. I feel this pull but it is not strong yet. So I am not sure where it is pulling me. So for now I will go with you."

I said "I know how you feel Sis, I was like that not too long ago. You will find your way or something will push you in that way. I believe in you." I smiled and hugged her. After a second she hugged back. W parted and I went back inside. That was all of them. Only Cat was parting at the ranch. It will be a houseful for a while. Well what's new with that. I started to put my things by the back door readying for the trip. Soon everyone's was there. I checked the time then the house and said lets go. We packed the horses and loaded up ourselves. Soon we were off to the gate. As the sun lowered in the sky we left Haven for good. When we got to the spot it was a bit tricky to blink all of us at once but I managed it.

Then we were riding down the road to the Ranch. Helena was waiting for us on the porch. Helena said "There are two Range Rovers with horse trailers waiting for you by the barn. A Little Girl came up saying you would be coming through and would need them. I hear California is a nice place to live if you stay away from the big cities. I am sure you will pop by now and then to let us know how you are doing in retirement. I'll put you all up for the night and you can get a good start in the morning. I will hear no argument. Now dinner is almost ready so go wash up." So we did all of us smiling. That night it was one hell of a Hen party. Terry was in Tracy mode so there was no men anywhere to be found. Jessica was really along her way to being a full girl and happy about it. We said good bye to Silent Cat after the party. She just slipped into the night like she had never been. The teary eyes told that she would be missed.

In the morning after a good breakfast we loaded up. I made a gift of the five pack horses to Helena. She just smiled. We loaded the riding horses and we were off. It was a long trip to northern California but we made it in three days. Finding the new place was really a challenge. We did find it and it was like coming home. Everything was so right. There was a stable for the horses. The house was a rambling Ranch style house that looked real comfortable. It turned out to have 10 bedrooms and 12 baths. The kitchen was huge and dining room could feed 20 at a time. There was a garage for the rovers. There was even a lake out back. I was Home! I tried the keys and they worked. We had the right place. We fully unloaded and picked our rooms then set about setting up house keeping.

In the morning I was in a nice dress looking over the lake when a familiar voice asked "Are you happy Angelica?" I smiled I had set my staff leaning on the wall. I knew she could project though my staff so I had it with me.

I laughed "Yes Great Mother I am happy beyond words."

She smiled "Good as soon as you are settled in there is a young woman in need of your help. Time to get to your real work Angelica."

I smiled "Yes Grandmother!"

And here ends this story. There may be more stories coming from The Silver Rose Ranch Or The New Silver Sky Ranch but that is yet to come. For now we bid a fond farewell to all our friends at the Ranches.

I would like to Thank all the People that gave up their time to read my scribbles. I would also like to thank those who gave votes and comments. As I always say Have Fun and Read!

up
179 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

good story

Alecia Snowfall's picture

good story Gypsy. I've enjoyed reading it and look forward to your next project as I think it will be wonderful.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Thank you

..for a good story Gypsy. A nice ending... and a new beginning. It was a worthwhile read.
I look forward to your next project.

Joanna

Great story!

I love your work. can't wait to see what you do next.

nomad

Great Story!

I really enjoyed this story. Fun to read, well paced, and very creative and interesting.