Wings Apart Chapter 04

Printer-friendly version


Wings Apart

Chapter 4

Wings of Change


20051117_329_AnimeAngel-HeadBlank222211111111.jpg

I didn't like it. They knew where we were. We had two choices, Stand and fight or Run. Both choices sucked. I almost died and Lana got shot the last time we fought. But where is there to run to? There are Seekers everywhere. There has to be a way out of this? Give up my wings? No, I could never do that. I need advice.

After wandering around for awhile I found myself at the stone circle. I knelt at the edge and prayed to the Great Mother for advice. It was worth a shot. I really did not expect a answer. But once again I found myself in that other place.

The woman said "You are troubled child. What is it you ask of me?"

I said "I am at a crossroad in my life. I can't fight the Seekers without loosing someone I care for. Yet I can not run away forever. They always find me. I do not know what to do?"

She said "If you can not go left and if you can not go right, go back."

I said "I do not know what you mean there is no going back I can not travel in time. I love who I have become. To go back would be to undo that. I guess the only way out of this is to die." She stepped up to me and slapped my face hard.

She said "You are here for a reason I don't ever want to here you giving up again! I will lead you and your friends to a place where you will be safe for awhile at least. I will send a new watcher to protect my woods. Silent Cat must go with you. As always there will be a cost. The cost will be paid by you! You will find out the cost in the next few days. Now go back I have preparations to make." Then I was back. I stumbled up and wondered what just happened? My face still stung. I walked back to the camp. Everyone was looking at a man who stood to one side.

When he dropped to one knee and proclaimed "My Lady, I have been sent to see you and your ladies to a safe Haven. I was told the Darkness seeks to put out your Light. I and my men will see you safely to Haven. Where I am sure your status will be recognized by all. As a Knight of Haven it is my Duty to see you safely there. My name is Sir Wilson, Captain of the first troop of Haven."

I said "Rise Sir Wilson, We will be ready to move out in an hour. You will return then. Have your men ready at that time."

He saluted "Of course My Lady. I will return at the appointed time. Till then Farewell." He strode off towards the hills." Everyone was staring at me again. I was getting used to it. I shook my head and turned to my tent and packing. It did not take long. the others shrugged and did the same with their tents. We finished a quarter hour early. So the girls turned on me.

Silent Cat Said "I will be returning to my home. It has been fun to train you all."

I said "Sorry, you need to come along with us. Orders from the Great Mother. I am not sure how she set this up so fast. I just talked to her an hour ago. I asked for help and this is what we get. No, I do not know what status he was talking about. All she said was she was going to send someone to lead us to a place of safety for a while. She did say I would be the one to pay the cost and I would find out what it is in a few days."

Lana said "You do get in some fixes. But you do have big friends. What's next My Lady?"

I said "We move out But first I think I'll have Julie look me over I am feeling rather weird." So a quick look over later.

Julie asked "Do you want the bad news first or the weird news?" I shrugged. "Ok it is bad news first. You are probably going to start to get sick every morning. Got that , good! Now the weird news, You are going to have a baby. You are about two months along." I sat down. Weird was right. How can I be two months along when I haven't been a girl that long? Is this the cost she was talking about? I closed my eyes and felt for my magic it was there stronger than ever. There was a second spot of magic in my belly. The baby has magic, strong magic! I am having a Magical Baby! I fainted.

When I woke I had my head in Lana's lap. The Knight was back and talking to Silent Cat. I could feel Julie looking me over again. I tried to move but Lana held me down telling me to still. Julie finished and said I could get up slowly. I looked at the others one by one. The message was clear, we need to talk. I smiled to the knight.

I said slowly "I am fine now let's be on our way. Good captain I believe there is a lot of miles to go before we sleep." A horse was brought up for me and the rest of the group walked. Ok what did they tell this guy? Am I some kind of Princess or something? Dang the questions just keep piling up. I half dozed while on the horse. Being pregnant took a lot out of you. Things went well except for the hard look from the others.

There was 20 knights to protect us. No one interacted with us but the captain My wings had been in when I met with the captain they were itching to come out now though. at a break I asked Silent Cat "What do you think would happen if I and Lana would bring our wings out? Perhaps take a short flight?"

Cat looked at me "You will live with danger. Yes I think you should just to see what would happen. The good captain seems to think you are a noble of so kind. Wonder what would happen if he knew the truth? That you are no more than a half trained apprentice who happens to be blessed with wings and a book of magic." Talk about hitting hard. I walked over to Lana.

I said "Hi love, want to go for a short flight to stretch the wings." She looked over at Cat who nodded. "I already talked to her she said I should. We want to see how the good captain reacts." She nodded and I walked over to the Captain. "Captain Lana and I are going to have a look around. You and the others go on ahead we will catch up."

Sir Wilson said "I am afraid I can not allow that. These woods are fraught with danger. I can not protect you if you wander off on your own."

I smiled That's ok Captain we wont be in the forest." At that we let out our wings. "I assure you the sky is quite safe." His eyes went wide and he went down on one knee. I flared my wings. As I said Captain Lana and I are going to have a look around." With that I turned and took three steps and was in the air. Lana followed. The captain looked on quite shaken. Silent Cat went up to him and talked to him for quite awhile. I noted this in passing as I was enjoying stretching my wings.

There was nothing of note for miles. After giving my wings a good long stretch I swooped down and landed by the Captain. I smiled at him and went back to the horse. Lana landed next to Julie and they were soon talking in soft voices. We moved on. I didn't bother to bring in my wings. The horse looked like are you ready. I smiled at the horse and smiled. I was feeling very happy. That did not last long. At the next rest stop by the river I got a shock. Julie insisted on checking me over again. I was feeling a little funny again.

When done She Shook her head. "looks like using your magic has affected the baby. It seems every time you use your magic the baby grows faster. I say you are at 4 months now. Keep using your magic and by the end of this trip you will give birth. Look you are showing I think you should switch to a loose fitting dress." If just flying made the baby grow that fast I was in trouble. I looked up at the Captain who was eavesdropping.

I said "Well I guess I can't keep it to myself any longer. Yes Captain I am going to have a Baby. A very special baby. So I do appreciate the horse. I think as soon as I change we should eat lunch then move on." I got up and checked my bag for something loose to wear. We rigged up something to change behind.

Julie insisted on helping me. She whispered "There was one thing I didn't say before. It seems your baby, Girl by the way, has wings. They are not fully formed yet but they may make the birth harder." That startled me. Well at least my baby is a girl. Then a name came to me I smiled it was perfect.

I smiled "My daughter's name is Grace Ann Wells. Julie will you be her Spirit Mother." She looked at me funny. "It is like a God Parent bit, I just feel Spirit mother sounds better." She smiled and nodded. "Thanks Will you tell everyone in our group?" She nodded and helped me finish dressing. That was two things off my mind. Now all I had to do is survive having Grace.

Getting across the river was going to pose a problem. Some one cut the ferry rope and the ferry was on the other side of the river. I looked at Lana. She walked over to the Captain. "Captain give me a rope. I'll fly across and tie it to the ferry and you can pull it back across. How does that sound."

The captain set 5 men on the rope and 4 archers watching the far side of the river. The rest were watching the forest. It only took 10 minuets to complete the task. Soon we were crossing the river. On the other side we found the ferry men dead. We moved on quickly. Even in this modern world bandits seem to be still around.

I was thinking while riding. Who was the father of my baby? A face appeared before my eyes, Josh's face. So my male self got my female self pregnant. Well that is not something that happens every day. I thought on that for a wile. 3 hours later we had a rest stop I went over to Julie and Silent Cat I waved over Lana. Linda followed her. I looked at them all. I said "I have been having a conversation with Grace. Yes I know it sounds crazy but we are linked and we do talk after a fashion. I was wondering who Grace's father was and a face appeared to me. It was Josh's face. It seemed that my other self got this self pregnant. I don't know why or how but I know it is true."

Silent Cat said "With magic everything is possible. As for why you will have to ask the Great Mother. So your daughter is aware even in the womb. That is one for the books."

I said "Grace is a very special girl. More than any other born in this world. I can feel her magic it is mage strength or more."

Lana said "Our baby is truly one of a kind. I can't wait to meet her. What do you think Mom?"

Julie smiled "Speaking as the child's Spirit mother and soon to be Grandmother I think she is the most loved child ever. We all have a stake in this child. We all will take care of her and teach her." A vision of Grace changing into a puma cub flashed through my mind.

I looked at Linda and shook my head. "Looks like she will take after all her family. Seems she will have a puma side." I smiled at the vision in my head. Lana took my hand and gasped as she seen it too. Then I gasped as I got bigger in the belly. Julie stepped up and checked me out.

Julie said "Looks like this kid is in a real hurry to be born. I would say you are near 7 months now and growing rapidly. By this time tomorrow you will be giving birth. you cant travel like this." she turned and called "Captain could you step over here for a moment." When he got here "I am afraid that Angelica can not travel any more till she has had the baby. Is there shelter around here someplace close?" He looked at a map then thought a moment.

Then he said "The only shelter is a bunch of caves that hunters use over that way." He pointed "They are about a mile away. How close is she?"

Julie said "Too close we need to get her there fast. This baby is in one hell of a hurry!" So we hurried along till we got to the caves. At one time hunters fixed the place up real nice. I was got into a cot. I never thought I would be giving birth.

I said "She will make her appearance at midnight. Move the cot so it faces that window I want the full moon to greet her." I was strangely calm. I was not in pain but I could feel the changes to my body. My breast grew a cup size and began to make milk. I felt my hips widen to let her pass. I knew this would be a fast birth. The only thing is will I survive it. I know there should be pain but there was none. At 11 my water broke. I was getting more and more detached. to the point it was like watching someone else go though it. At 11:59 Grace slipped into the world and Julie held her up to the moonlight. I smiled and slipped into the darkness.

I was sitting a chair in that other place that I go to talk to the Great Mother. Nobody else was there. I just sat there for the longest time. Then she was there. he quickly looked me over. She said "You should not be here. Grace needs you. Go Back!" I stayed there. Why I don't know.

I pointed at her "You are keeping me in the dark. Who is Grace? She is like no newborn I have ever heard about. Who is she?"

She said "Grace is the one they are afraid of. When she is grown she will bring magic back into the light. The Seekers will destroy themselves trying to stop her. That is who she is so go back now. GO BACK!

Then I was back. I looked around at the tear streaked faces. "I'm back. How is Grace?"

Lana put my little bundle of joy in my arms. "She is perfect. Where were you? It was like you were dead."

I opened my top and fed my baby. I said "I was for a moment or two. Only way I could talk to the Great Mother. I needed answers and she was the only one to have them."

Linda said "My sister is the only one to die just to ask a goddess for answers and get them. Well who is she?"

I switched sides and said "Only the one every Seeker is afraid of. She has quite the destiny. I can't talk about it yet. Some things have to happen first." I smiled down at Grace then burped her and looked over her wings. Hmm nice but trouble. A sleepy vision of a crib came to me. My baby wanted to sleep. They had a sort of crib set up for her and I handed her to Lana to take care of. I was very tired. So I went to sleep smiling.

We left the caves 2 days later. The rest of the trip was quite peaceful. Grace road with me most of the time. Our link was still there. I knew when she wanted anything by the visions. During break times we shared the duty of taking care of her. The Captain was over to tell us we were moving on when he seen a winged baby riding a black panther. He did a double take. he pointed and looked at me.

I smiled "There is a reason she is called Silent Cat. My daughter is growing real fast don't you think." Grace looked a year old. "Did you need some thing?"

He was staring at Cat "Who are you People? Three with wings an now one that turns into a big cat?"

Linda came up "Two big cats. "Then she shifted and there was her puma form." I smiled at the Captains face.

I said "You really don't want me to answer those questions. Now did you need something?"

He said "We are moving out we will be in Haven tonight." He walked away shaking his head. I was sure he thought we were all nuts. I was not sure he was not right. I decided to walk a bit instead of riding. Linda was carrying Grace in her puma form. Grace seemed to love the ride. She had another growth spurt and now looked 2 years old. Grace spread her wings and after a few tries flew to me. I was so proud. of course half the time Grace was flitting from one of us to another. Be cause of our link I could call her back without words. As she started to talk came the questions and we all tried to answer them all. As a group we decided to raise Grace as a group. We were all family now.

We came over a low rise and there in a small niche in the mountain side lay Haven the walled city. It looked like it had not changed since the middle ages. The captain strode back to us. He said "Behold Haven a place of peace in this crazy world. We have held this spot since the first settlers came to this area." The Pride in his city shone brightly. I don't know why but I needed to respond.

I said "Then good Sir lead us thus to yon city and show her wonders to us." He puffed up and smiled.

He proclaimed "It shall Be as You say Great Lady. All shall bow down to the Priestess of the Great Mother!" So that was what he was told. Well I can play that part. We moved down to the city. It was plain many of the troop yearned to be home. We moved swiftly. The root was worn smooth from usage over many years.

I looked at Lana "Wings in, lets down play this." I pulled in my wings and used the link between me and Grace to teach her how to pull her wings in. After a few tries she did it. She was sitting on the horse with me leaning back almost asleep. I smiled at her and she smiled back. She then snuggled down and slept. I looked at the others and they all nodded. I was calling the play on this one. We were still a half mile from the gates when the attack came. A hail of 20 arrows came my way and shattered on my shield, I had it on bubble to protect Grace too. I don't know why but i held my hand up and suddenly there was a staff in it. I pointed the staff where the arrows came from and lightning shot forth hitting 4 archers. The puma and panther smashed into 2 more. The knights were being hit by foot troops. I got ready for another blast and took out 5 more archers. the cats were hitting more of them. One more blast took out the remaining archers. The knights had the foot troops on the run. The Captain was fighting three bandits I rode up an brought my staff down on the one that was about to back stab him. Julie was healing our troops while the cats prowled the bushes looking for hidden bad guys. Lana was helping Julie. I scanned the area looking for their leader. I found him a little ways away watching the battle. He made a gesture and a fireball flew my way I blasted the fireball before it had went 10 feet. My second shot took him off his horse. The cats have been watching this went for him. That ended the battle.

A little wile later after all had been seen to and the dead taken care of. I stood with the Captain looking at the body of the leader of the attackers. the Captain said "This one is know to me. His heart belongs to the Seekers. He pulled the heavy pouch from the mans belt. He looked inside pulled out three rolls of bills and a 25 gold coins. This goes to the one who defeated him as well as his horse. It is our law." He passed me the pouch and the reins of the horse.

We buried him where he fell with no marker we left. I was riding the fine black horse and Lana was riding the other. Grace was taking a turn riding with Lana. I leaned in to the horse and said "Do you have a name my friend?" A vision of a top of a peak went through my mind. "Zenith?" The horse did his best to nod. I liked this horse. We finished our trek to Haven quickly.

Haven is a mid-evil city with pluming and electric lights. We were let though the wall into the city lust before dark. We went through the winding streets to the center plaza. There was a small reception committee waiting for us. 4 men and 2 women stood there. By the position of the women in the group they were no highly placed. I stopped and waited for the Captain to help me down. I was playing it formal. The captain stepped up to help me down and a trooper stepped up to help Lana down. A boy appeared to take Zenith and the other horse to the stable. One of the men stepped up and said "Welcome I am Chancellor Farin. It has been a long time since the Great Mother has sent us a priestess. We follow many faiths here in Haven. We are glad to have a representative of your faith to see to those who worship Her. I must say there are not many of them among our Men but a few of our women do follow Her." I could tell this person thought of the Great Mother as beneath him. I really did not like him. "We have made a house here available for your party. It is not the best but it was all that was open for use. These two women will act as servants for you." I really did not like this guy. "With that I will leave you to get settled in. Good Evening." He strode off like he owned the place. I looked at him and his toads following him and shook my head.

I said "That one is Doomed." I tuned to the women looking at their downcast eyes and threadbare clothes and thought some changes need to be made. I looked at Julie and she nodded we went into the house. It needed a good cleaning but it was ok. "We have no need for servants but are quite happy to welcome friends that wish to help out. Now lift your eyes and we shall meet as friends. My name is Angelica. This is My daughter Grace. This is my love Lana and her Mother Julie. This is my sister Linda and our Friend Silent Cat. Well that's everyone and you are?"

The first woman said I am Nara this is my sister Carrie. We are pleased to serve you Priestess."

I said while looking around "Well lets all get started. Who's turn to watch Grace" Cat raised her hand "Ok Linda you and Julie get to work on the kitchen Cat pick a out of the way spot and play with Grace. I'm going to check out the sleeping quarters. Carrie and Nara if you want to help you can start in here." We all went to work In short order we had the place in shape. From the wonderful smells coming from the kitchen Julie was making one of her great stews. I went over and picked up my big girl. Grace now looked like a 4 year old. I sat down holding Grace. "Ok that's done. What's next is Nara what is it like for women in this town?" I was wondering if she would answer at all.

She said "I don't know what you want to hear priestess? We work, we live, we love, What else is there?"

Cat said "Angelica leave it for now. We are not here to start a social revolt. The Great mother has other work for you. We need to stay ahead of the seekers till Grace is ready. You told me this, so lets keep our heads down. The time will come cut now is not it." I really hate it when she is right. I sighed and nodded.

Grace said "Why is Mommy sad? Ma, Mommy is sad!" Lana came over.

Lana said "I know baby way don't you go and play. I'll make things better." Once Grace got off my lap Lana got on and began kissing me. That was a great distraction from my dark thoughts. Nara and Carrie said nothing but looked at each other. I guess lesbians were rare here. "We still have a wedding to plan you know."

My staff began to vibrate then flew to my hand. Then we were elsewhere. Lana and I stood in that place just like we did the first time. The woman was there looking worried. She spoke "The world has shifted. your parents have been taken. Your father has died but your mother still lives for now. This spell will bring her to you." She handed me a sheet of paper and a pair of earrings. "These earrings will give you the power needed to use the spell. I am afraid that it is a one shot thing. If it fails the back lash will kill you. use it soon. She may not survive long. Go back.

We were back. Julie looked at us "These little jaunts are really taking a large toll on your body. You need rest."

I said "I'm sorry but I have to cast a spell first. Its Important to me." I quickly cleared the center of the room, took a beep breath and put on the earrings. Then cast the spell with all my magic and heart! for a second I thought I failed then the earrings kicked in and I was given a boost of magic beyond my imagination. The spell shot out then back. And laying on the floor was my mother. She was in bad shape. The backlash from using so much magic hit me and I was out.

When I woke up I was in a bed. I tuned my head when I heard Julie talking to someone. I could see that my mother was awake and talking to Julie. Julie was telling my story as she knew it to mother. My mother was asking questions to clear up things. Mother looked and sounded in ruff shape but seemed to be on the mend. That was good news. I went out again for a bit till Lana woke me with some food. I ate and I looked over and seen my mother was asleep. I wonder what she thinks of all this.

Lana smiled "She is going to be all right. Mom said she has been through a lot but is going to be fine. I had a chance to introduce myself and we had a good talk. I think she likes me. Now you get some more sleep we will talk in the morning." She took the tray and kissed me on the cheek. I snuggled down and slept.

In the morning Julie checked me over and said I could get up if I agreed to take it easy today. I smiled over at my Mother and went over to say hi. We talked most of the morning. She was cleared to get out of bed for lunch. We went down and I introduced all our friends. When I said "And this is my Daughter Grace Ann Wells your Granddaughter. She was amazed. The two hit it off right off the bat. She was taking things better than I thought she would. Grace had another growth spurt and now looked 6 years old. We had a good lunch.

I wondered what the cost will be for Her help. I tried not to think about it too much. I found my staff in my hands and I was elsewhere. She was there of course. She held out her hand. I went to take off the earrings and she shook her head. I held out the staff again a shake of the head. I said "I don't know what you want? The paper burned up as soon as I cast the spell. I have nothing else to give you?"

She sadly smiled "I will give you a gift take my hand." I did and it was like I was being electrocuted without the pain. "From this day forth you will be my High Priestess on earth. You are bound to me. You will have my blessing." she let go and started to turn away then said "I will allow you to wed this one time. but remember you are mine. Go back.

I was back. Julie was looking me over. She said "That was a short. One you feel alright?"

I sighed "I just found out the cost for Her help this time. I have been pronounced High Priestess of the Great Mother. I belong to her now." I looked at Lana "She has blessed our wedding. Looks like you will have to share me though."

Lana smiled "As long as I get you, I can share you with the Goddess." She was taking it better than I thought. I smiled but had dread in my heart over that sad smile the Great Mother had.

To be continued

As always all comments loved and welcomed.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

whoa!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

I'm going to need a nap after all that excitement!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Holy Crap!

Your stories move fast! Excellent as always.

nomad

Uh oh, I'm thinking Lana is

Uh oh, I'm thinking Lana is the cost the Great Mother told Angelica she would have to bear. I hope I am wrong however.

We Seem to Have Fallen...

...into another story. I mean, sure, you can take me wherever you want to go, but incorporating a medieval city, complete with knights and bow-and-arrow fights, doesn't seem a good fit for where we were before.

And, FWIW, I was more comfortable with Angelica when she was using ice storms and lightning bolts rather than a religious icon as her destructive tool of choice; the Great Mother seems to me to be getting a bit heavy-handed here. Given Haven's new status as Angelica and Grace's seat of power, one wonders if this goddess considers human technology an inconvenience to her hopes. I hope magic can be "brought into the light" without critically damaging human civilization in the process.

I guess things like a virgin birth after a week-long pregnancy leading to what's shaping up as a week-long childhood aren't helping me in the thought that there's anything all that human about what's happening. Call it the Frankenstein complex if you like, but will Grace empathize with humanity at all when the time comes and she does her "Let there be light" routine? Or will they just be a race to subjugate to the Great Mother?

Eric

Trying new things

GypsyWoman's picture

This story is just to try new things out. I will flub a few things or forget to put them in in the rush to write all that is in my head. For this I do say sorry in the next draft of this story if I ever finish this one. Will address all the points left out in this one.This is only my second serous story. So I hope you will bare with me. I do say I will try to slow down and not forget things.

Kat H