Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2566

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2566
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Ah, just the lady I wanted to speak with,” I let the DCI follow me into my office.

“If you promise not to arrest me until after we’ve finished drinking it, I could offer you a tea or coffee.”

He blushed, “Sorry about that.”

“I’ll accept your apology Chief Inspector, but if feel you harassing me or mine without just cause, you’ll find out why they call me the pension killer.”

“It isn’t a good idea to threaten a police officer.”

“That wasn’t a threat, it was a statement of fact.”

He nodded. “You found the body of Bernard Black in your laboratory just before Christmas?”

“You know I did.”

He smiled, “I do.”

We were interrupted momentarily as Delia brought in two mugs one with tea the other with coffee. I’ll let you guess which was mine but it had a picture of a dormouse on it.

“It appears your technician isn’t resting in peace.”

I pretended I had no idea of what he was talking. “Is this actual or metaphysical, given that much of his brain was splattered over the tiles in the lab.”

“As a scientist perhaps you can explain life after death,” he taunted me.

I knew why he was playing games but wasn’t going to disappoint him. “Easy, it’s a failure in the human psyche to cope with its own mortality, so we make up all sorts of games to pretend it doesn’t happen and instead of dying we live happily ever after sans bodies of course.”

“So it’s all delusional, is it?”

“Personally, I think so.”

“You an atheist?”

“I prefer agnostic, if someone proves the existence of a god in repeatable experiment which is then peer reviewed, I’ll be first to church every Sunday morning.”

He nearly smiled.

“You deceased technician has been a busy boy since he died.”

“Oh?”

“He hacked into the Land Registry and claimed you sold the land to your husband’s bank.”

“That’s quite a trick, perhaps they have cloud broadband in the hereafter.”

“I don’t find it very amusing Professor Cameron.”

“Oh c’mon, it’s pretty obvious isn’t it, he’s obviously somewhere which has internet access and as Microsoft and Google have some sort of remote storage on cloud base or similar sort of name, it seemed somewhat apt.”

“I don’t think murder is very funny, professor.”

“Nor do I. Would you prefer it if I clung to you asking you to protect us from this unknown killer?”

“Knowing you used to be a boy, I’d prefer you didn’t cling on to me.”

“Ah a transphobic copper, there’s a surprise.”

“I’m not transphobic but like you with god, I don’t believe anyone can change sex unless they were wrongly diagnosed at birth.”

“Is that just humans or all species?”

“Don’t tell me there’s some pond slime found only in a cave up the Amazon that can spontaneously change sex?”

“Okay, I won’t tell you.”

“Won’t tell me what?”

“That pond slime would probably reproduce asexually.”

“Very funny.”

“But several animals can spontaneously change from one sex to the other depending upon population dynamics, fish and some amphibians primarily.”

“Yeah, the point being?”

“As you don’t know my circumstances you shouldn’t jump to conclusions.”

“So what are your circumstances, don’t tell me you’re really some sort of alien tadpole?”

“No, they all become policemen.”

“You haven’t told me your circumstances.”

“No I haven’t have I?”

“Is it relevant—to this case I mean?”

“Only insofar as possibly trying to ameliorate the transphobia being applied by a senior investigating officer.”

“I’m not transphobic, all right, I just don’t fancy you, all right; so stop making eyes at me. It won’t do you no good.”

I wasn’t aware I was trying to flirt with him. In fact I felt repelled by him.

“I’m sorry but I think you might be misinterpreting something.”

“Look, Professor, just because you’ve a pretty face and big tits doesn’t turn me on, okay. I know your history and no amount of plastic surgery and silicone is going to make me fancy you.”

I wasn’t sure if I felt indignant, angry or amused. “Inspector, my face is as it always has been apart from some makeup, I have no implants, my ‘big tits’ as you called them are because I’m still breast feeding my youngest child.”

Talk about blush, if any more blood had gone into his skin he’d have collapsed from hypotension, he muttered and blustered.

“I suspect you haven’t got all of my history at all. Now shall we stop swapping insults and deal with this like adults?”

He sat down opposite me. “You’re aware another of your colleagues has been found dead in suspicious circumstances?”

“I believe our young auditor was found dead.”

“Weren’t you heard issuing threats at him?”

“No. I challenged his audit and gave him several opportunities to change his mind but he was obviously working to a party line. When he discovered that I’d had the accounts audited by a very well regarded chap, he withdrew from the meeting. I haven’t seen him since. I can’t say I knew him well enough to give an opinion on his state of mind and whether he would take his own life. I hope he didn’t leave any children.”

“Two under fives.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Are you—sounds as if you hounded him out of the meeting.”

“Were you there?”

“Of course not.”

“I was and pointed out consequences to him, including that of potential prosecution.”

“That isn’t making threats?”

“I said I was suspending the meeting and possibly informing the police if any of my budgets were touched. As you probably know, certifying accounts which are known to be false is a criminal offence for an auditor.”

“It probably is for lots of people.”

“You think he killed himself?”

“It’s highly possible.”

“He hanged himself, I hear.”

“We haven’t released details.”

“I’m sorry.” I said feeling for his wife and two small children.

“You’re sorry—words are cheap, Professor.”

“I’m sorry he was caught up in things bigger than he realised.”

“What you and you bloody bank?”

“No, whatever conspiracy is going on here.”

“Haven’t you got to see its purpose before you make accusations of conspiracy? As you don’t know if there is a conspiracy or just you being paranoid.”

“I know all right and possibly who some of the main players are, I’m accumulating evidence to place before the university council.”

“Who’s going to die next?”

“How would I know, I’ll wait and see the obituaries column in the Echo.”

“Yet you knew about it almost as quickly as we did.”

“It was on the BBC website.”

“But you didn’t do it, eh professor?”

“Of course I bloody well didn’t.”

“Funny how nobody remembered to tape the conversation, just like this one.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
258 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Huh????

“Funny how nobody remembered to tape the conversation, just like this one.”

Who said that and what do they mean? (and why isn't Cathy recording every conversation with the police.... or is she?)

I guess there isn't a record of the meeting with the administrators where the auditor ran off.

Like I thought yesterday - there must be something pretty big in motion here for not only a frame-up but murder. Time to examine EVERYTHING in Cathy's office, lab, etc. Make sure there isn't another plant.

I'm Pretty Sure That It Was the DCI

Cathy has likely taped the conversation. I think I recall her doing it in the past (or the intercom is on and Delia is listening in). I agree that the other reference was likely to the meeting with the accountants.

Why on earth

does the DCI insist on getting into an argument with Cathy, He can't say he has not been warned about another of Cathys many titles , Perhaps he has not done any research on Cathy.... If he hasn't then he will deserve anything that might badly affect his retirement plans.... One thing is for certain though whoever is behind the conspiracy still seems to be one step in front of everyone else , Hopefully Jim's detective work will turn something up very soon.... Before anyone else dies!

Kirri

You can see my anti-cop sentiment by

my assertion that the police automatically think they're smarter than their suspect. So this inspector thinks he can get Cathy to incriminate herself. Perhaps now is the time to stop talking to him at all and bring in the lawyers because Cathy thinks she's pretty smart too.

Crash!!

Dahlia's picture

Another career goes down in a pile of rubble. These guys with the plod just are too thick to get it. I would have to agree with Cathy in that only something that crawled out of the pond scum could be this stupid or slow witted as to not have learned yet that Cathy does not lie and in the process of proving the truth, she takes out any and all dross in the most efficient way imaginable.
Thanks again for the awesome story.

Dahia

Oh no, he isn't transphobic,

Oh no, he isn't transphobic, not at all. Being a DCI, he couldn't well be, could he? Not officially that is. But at the office, with 'the boyz' he'd be the first to laugh hard and derogatory, and probably have a number of fun jokes himself. Just being one of the manly men, he is. The troglodyte.

And if Cathy didn't record the interview, and the slander and bigotry of said DCI, i would be extremely disappointed. It would also be totally out of character. So go kill another bigot's pension Cathy, please.

Jo-Anne

Are all police officers in Great Britain....

D. Eden's picture

Assholes, or is it just the majority of them? Or is simply the majority of those that Cathy comes into contact with?

They are beginning to sound like DMV workers in New York, lol.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

transphobic

If you want to get through to transphobic idiots then they need come down with some disease where they lose testicles and then make it mandatory that they have metal implants to replace them. This way we can have early warning notice when they are coming (it also makes metal detectors real fun explaining them)

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Transphobia

I had a social security number and a job at age 12 (1959) and worked like a dog until 2003, so when the harassment I used to get became too much I told them to f off. It was all legal, with medical reports and all that. I had verified medical problems that prevented my continuing, and since I had worked very hard for 44 years my social security is very nice. I had 5 ruptured disks in my back and burned out knees, hips, shoulders and arthritic hands. I paid my dues.

I wasn't thinking about transitioning at the time, or anything else that was fraudulent. However now days, when I think back about how they used to torment me, calling me incompetent and a fagot, it is poetic justice that justice was finally served. Fuck them.

Gwen

I just put on my "Karnak, The

I just put on my "Karnak, The Magnificient" turban and checked my mind reading and fortune telling skills. I foresee this particular DCI leaving the Department in shame. I also see the Police in Cathy's home area being replenished by other departments who are dumping their "deadwood" off into the area of England that Cathy resides in. Typical.

NO tape?

It would be out of character for Cathy to NOT have taped the convo. This is very interesting Angharad. Thank you.

Gwen

Well, well...

Athena N's picture

Cathy's claim that "if someone proves the existence of a god in repeatable experiment which is then peer reviewed, I’ll be first to church every Sunday morning" is pretty close to outright hypocrisy. By now she's had quite a lot of empirical evidence of some kind of deity; just about the only thing missing from her requirements is that Trish writes a paper...

She would argue

Angharad's picture

it's all subjective and would need to be replicated by others, objectively if possible. I once had to rewrite an MSc proposal having postulated that there was no such thing as objectivity as Quantum Mechanics had shown the observer becomes part of the experiment.

Angharad