Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1819

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1819
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“What happens now?” asked Simon.

“I press charges for assault or attempted murder.”

“How could you prove the latter?”

“I think severe bruising around the throat shows it was more than a love bite and that he was intent on throttling me.”

“Do we even know who they are?”

“No, Si, so don’t start thinking about employing a hit man.”

“I wasn’t going to, more about to whom we send the bill for cleaning and repairs.” I glanced down at where he was looking, both the knees of my jeans were torn.

“The healing doesn’t work on denim.”

“Oh, pity, how did you know what I was thinking?”

“If I told you, darling, you wouldn’t believe me.”

“Try me.”

“Okay, amongst my super powers, I can read your mind.”

“Really?”

“Don’t you believe me?”

“Not sure, what am I thinking about now?”

“That’s rude.” I slapped him on the shoulder.

“How the hell did you know that?” he was suitably amazed. I had no idea why. I can’t understand half of what he’s on about when he tells me what he’s thinking, let alone what’s actually going on in his mind. Seems he’s very gullible at the moment. As for knowing he was thinking about sex–well it’s Simon, and when he isn’t working, it’s about all he thinks about not having the distraction of liking football.

The next morning when I got back from taking the girls to school, Inspector Milligan called. “Tell me, Lady Cameron, how is it that two men, both of whom had injuries inflicted by you, suddenly recovered?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about?” I played stupid.

“You assaulted two men last evening at the university, one of them quite badly.”

“Now that’s interesting, Inspector, because the way I remember it, they were attempting to assault me. In fact, I go so far as to suggest that one of them was intent on killing me.” I pointed to the Technicolor bruises around my throat.

“I accept you received some superficial injuries during the event, Lady Cameron.”

“If you’ve come to insult me, you might as well leave, Inspector.”

“No, I’ve come to inform you that, Igor Aronavitch, the one we assumed had a displaced patella and dislocated elbow, escaped custody last night after his miraculous recovery.”

“Is he Russian?” I asked.

“Romanian, I think.”

“And you think he might try to get even for my intervention?”

“I have no idea what he might try, Lady Cameron, but I did think it was only fair to warn you. Perhaps you’ll have a reconsider about how he suddenly got better?”

“Obviously he wasn’t as badly hurt as we all thought.”

“Obviously.”

“Won’t he try to get home?”

“I don’t know, Lady Cameron. We’re still holding his three friends, courtesy of your intervention, so he might feel he has a score to settle. If you do see him, please call for help, he might be more successful at inflicting more than a few bruises next time.”

“I see, and who do I call–Ghostbusters?”

“Very funny, Lady Cameron. I’d better be getting back to the station, prisoners to intimidate and all that, you know.”

I saw him out and warned the others that this creepy Romanian might be about. “I see, your playing Girl Scout has backfired again,” Stella was a bit irritated.

“Oh come off it, Stel, you’d have intervened as much as the next man.” My protests fell on deaf ground or was it stony ears?

“You have to be joking, Cathy. A whole lab worth of equipment isn’t so much as worth breaking a nail to protect. It wasn’t even your lab.”

“No, but it’s my university.”

“You went to Sussex.”

“It’s the one which sees fit to employ me and also Tom. I have some loyalty towards it.”

“Now you tell me.” She rolled her eyes and went off to get Puddin’ off Kiki, quite what they were doing I had no idea.

Anyhow, Puddin’ came past a couple of minutes later loudly declaiming, “Duckin’ dog.”

It might just be enough of an alliteration to avoid adding to her vocabulary when her mother hears her.

I spent the rest of the morning on the phone to Simon and then to the schools advising them that my children could be targets. Lunch, for which David made the most exquisite French toast, I have ever tasted. I have no idea if anyone else calls it that, but it’s essentially bread which has been dipped in beaten egg which is then fried to crispness. I went on my own to the university to sort out the dormice and then go to collect the girls. I doubted anyone would be stupid enough to meet me there again, so I felt quite confident.

I had a minor seizure when I saw someone come down the stairs as I entered the lab complex then recognised it as one of the technicians from Bio-chem.

“Hey, thanks for saving all our stuff–we’d have been up the creek next month without it.”

“You’re welcome, must go and check my dormice.” We parted and I entered our labs and did the feeding and so on. I locked the door on leaving and walked towards the car park. As I walked my phone rang.

“Hello?” I said stopping to answer it.

“Cathy, it’s Andy Bond.”

“Hi, Andy, how are you?”

“If you’re near the university, get away quickly, we think Boris has been sighted nearby.”

“Boris? The Lord Mayor of London?” My brain reeled, what would he be doing here and why would the police warn me about him–he’s crazy but relatively harmless.

“The big guy who escaped from the hospital...Cathy?” A shadow had moved to cover me and part of the path.

“Cathy? You all right?” I could hear Andy Bond.

“Um, I think the monkey has landed,” I said before the phone was ripped from my hand and hurled into the bushes.

“That was uncalled for, my husband gave me that as a Christmas present,” I protested.

“Too bad,” he said with a thick accent, “we have unfinished business.”

“I don’t think so, unless you want me to show you how I did it last time.” A bit of bravado usually does the trick–don’t show them you’re frightened–well, it’s supposed to work with dogs, perhaps it does with great apes.

“Now you die,” he said or more accurately growled and grabbed at me. The adrenalin was flowing in me–in fact, I suspect that was all that was flowing, my blood having frozen in fright. However, I managed to step away, avoid his grasp and plant a kick in his midriff which sent me flying backwards.

He just stood there laughing as I rolled over and sprang to my feet. The problem now was that he was between me and my escape, behind me lay the laboratories and it looked shorter to run round them than my attacker.

He lumbered at me like a runaway steam roller and I backed away until I was nearly in the bushes which separate the buildings from the pavement and roadway. I tried to run past him but he was surprisingly nimble on his feet.

He did come at me and I sidestepped, kicking the back of his knee as I dived away. He fell and I thought I’d made a gap to escape, but he grabbed my leg in a huge ham of a fist and pulled me back.

“You make Igor mad,” he said menacingly.

“I think you’ve been mad for some time, actually.”

He lunged at me and I feinted and then rolled behind him, kicking him in the bum as I went. He staggered into the bushes, which are things like roses and pyrocanthus–designed to stop people breaking into the laboratories by the windows.

“Stand clear, Cathy,” called a voice from above and I looked up and threw myself away from the bushes as the enraged gorilla stood up from amongst the herbiage and glared at me, looking up himself just in time to see a laboratory stool land on his bonce and drop him like a pole-axed wombat.

Moments later the sound of sirens filled the air and Stan, the techi from Bio-chem held me as I shivered and trembled at the groaning that was emitted from the bushes.

“Thank you,” I managed to get out as my teeth started chattering.

“Well, it looked as if you could do with a bit of help,” he said and I could feel the warmth of his body as he held me.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
228 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1819

Boris Igor did not learn his lesson, and glad Cathy had help, this time. But what was Puddin' doing with Kiki?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good Ole Stan..

Nice Cathy got some help this time... AND a witness... Perhaps when it's two of them against Igor (or Boris) the plod will believe them.

Interesting setup... I may have to make french toast myself some day soon... It's been AGES. Of course, what is mixed in with the eggs you dredge the bread through makes a difference. I seem to recall nutmeg and a few other things....

Thank you (and I hope you're doing better).

Annette

Wos a Wombat?

Oh, she's in rare form today. Wot's them lot want with Uni equipment anyway? Don't they make a lot of it?

NO WAIT, I have it! The makers concealed drugs in the cabinets but they got delivered before there was a chance to get the drugs out, so they had to recover their stuff, right?

Snark, Snark

Gwendolyn

WOMBAT?

So not one of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L6_Wombat *

French toast...yup, I call it that too.

What's that, Skippy? Down the old mine shaft with a T72 main battle tank?

Wots my Womb At

Once knew a guy with stoney ears, also had a pebble tash and gravel voice, was a shy boy when we first met but grew bolder, used to call him Rocky. Wot is my womb at? k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Boris isn't crazy.

I've heard somewhere that he's actually quite clever. All I know for certain is that at least he's got some personality. More than the other grey stereotypes that infest Whitehall.

Glad to see you're back Ang' look after yourself now. Try not to let things get you too down. I know R.L. can get to everybody sometimes and it's bastard when there's little we can do to change it.

Lots of hugs girl.

OXOXOX

Bev.

The hayes, Mardigras 2012_0.jpeg

bev_1.jpg

French Toast

When I was growing up, buttered bread put under the grill was called french toast.

The fried egg soaked bread was simply called Eggy Bread. I have heard others calling it french toast though, so it may have been a family thing.

eggy bread?

Teresa L.'s picture

I thought that was bread with an egg in the middle? french toast here in the US is just as described, with different things added, sometimes in the egg, or sprinkled on top after flipping.

Teresa L.

Just another day at the office... Part II

Somehow I doubt Cathy will be quite as eager to heal Boris / Igor this time around - not that she'll need to, given his injuries this time are likely to be a bruise on the bonce, pyracantha thorns and rose prickles. With all four in custody, this particular burglary squad is dealt with, although given Cathy's history with criminal gangs, it wouldn't surprise me if there are other members who didn't take part in the raid but still want revenge...

Oh, then to cap it all, we've got Stan - the biochemistry tech / knight in shining armour (metaphorically speaking!)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Duckin' dog

Could mean anything but, if Pud's been listening to her mother, it might just be a corruption of something to do with sexual intercourse.

Once again, you take us from hilarity to horror in one episode.

S.

French toast

What David made is what us over the American Pond call french toast. The primary ingredients are sliced bread, egg and milk with the egg and milk beaten together. You can also add vanilla, nutmeg, cinnimum and other ingredients to the egg mixture. I, myself prefer them plain with lots of butter (real) and real maple syrup. None of the fake stuff, I made that stuff as an 8th grade science project I am also a New Englander where it is easy to get the real stuff :)

I grew up..

I grew up sprinkling confection sugar over French Toast... Though, I know some who put that AND Maple syrup on theirs. Not for me that way!

Boris? Boris? What's with all the Boris?

What *I* want ot know is, where are Natasha ans Fearless Leader?

Boris_natasha_fearless.jpg

HOW much more incompetent CAN the local plod possibly be?

DON'T ask!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Great episode, Ang. Izzy -

Great episode, Ang.

Izzy - thanks for the French Toast.

Bonzi - lots of action here, keep up the good work.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Kewl

yay for the lab stool! What an aim technique. Bet that's gonna leave a mark! I think I like this kid. Wonder if he wants to take care of dormice and mammals? Oh, and Puddin', keep up the good work!